Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona

Comments

• smillersmiller Member Posts: 32
    All I can say is keep going back until they can see the problem, it's very hard to repair an intermittent problem.
    Go on-line and research this issue, see if there is a TSB on it. If they know your van has a problem and you keep going back and they can't get it right, check your states lemon law.
  • thehothitthehothit Member Posts: 19
    I have exactly the same problem with my 2006 Sedona (and so do quite a few other people). It's been to two dealers twice and they can't "replicate" the problem! I've finally taken some video of the passenger side door attempting to close properly, and will show that to the dealer I'm using now. I may even send a copy to Kia USA on DVD. I'm thinking of calling them today actually. I have a feeling that the door is slightly out of alignment and that's what's causing it to have problems. Apart from this problem - it's a wonderful vehicle!
  • fishbreathfishbreath Member Posts: 58
    WELL, after who knows how long and 2 after market wiring harness that did not work right My local kia dealer's tech. said he knows the problem. I needed a harness from kia that has ( hell can't remember what it was called, wasn't a relay or diodes ) in the wires. At a tune of $262 including installation The harness was $130 alone. I figured if it doesn't work when they install I'm not paying, also so they can't say the warranty is void because I worked on it. Just in time for my fishing trip. Just don't tell my wife how much it cost. Pretty expensive trip and the boat isn't even in the water. Buy the van with the trailer package, cheaper in the long run.
  • carfaxcarfax Member Posts: 43
    Sorry to hear that your trip turned out more expensive then you figured. With all the electronics in to days cars drawing so much from the battery and alternator, I guess they need some sort of booster to power up anything that is added to the vehicle. If you are buying new, I would agree to have the trailer package put on. Pickup trucks are much easier to use after market trailer packages, because most are wired for towing anyhow. My buddy hooked his trailer to his Dodge van a couple weeks ago and his lights were giving him a hard time and they all worked last fall when he used the trailer last. He leaves the ball and hitch on the van all the time, so i told him to hook everything up and drive around the block a couple times. When he came back everything was working fine. Knocked the rust off the ball so he had better ground. I know there is a ground wire hooked to the vehicle and trailer, but sometimes simple things work and other times it cost you money. Have a good fishing trip and unless your wife reads these forums, she will never hear a word from me. :)
  • siennamisiennami Member Posts: 116
    that driving this van is like driving a monster vehicle? I have yet to really get used to its length and bulk. Of course I am moving from a VW Passat, so that does make a difference. I feel like I'm driving a Hummer sometimes! :P
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Removed the 2nd row seats for the first time yesterday. After a few minutes, I finally got the seats out. Today, I tried to put them back in. Left bucket 2nd row seat, accidentally put one of the rear-wheel latches in first. Now, I cannot get this unlatched! I've spent 15 minutes fiddling with it and no dice. The manual is no help. The front-wheel latches need to go in first.

The right bucket 2nd row seat, I screwed up in a different way. While trying to figure out the operation of the rear-wheel latches, I ended up locking them both -- but the seat isn't attached to the floor! After this, I was able to attach both front-wheel latches to the floor, but the rear-wheel latches will not attach to the floor because they are already closed/latched and when I try to lower them onto the bars on the floor they just bang on top. I.e. they will not open back up so they can be attached to the floor.

Can anyone help me by explaining how to un-lock the rear-wheel latches so I can get these seats installed and avoid a trip to the dealer for something so silly? I'm no engineer, but I'm also not a moron and I could not find any way to get these latches to un-latch. The rear strap releases the front latches, but not the rear latches.
  • redptcredptc Member Posts: 78
    I had the same trouble with my seat.Under the plastic cover for the back latch is the unlock mechanism. I had to fish around the area till i got it unlatched.There is a cable i belive you have to pull on to get it unlatched. Sorry i do not remember any thing else that i did.I just messed around till i got it unlocked. :sick:
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    if it's not obvious, you know, a visit to your dealer to have it properly demonstrated to you would be worth the "inconvenience". you don't want to break something trying to unlatch it, or re-installing it.
    thanks - will take another look 'under the covers' and see if I can find it.
    Your right about going to the dealer to have the seat fixed.But i was in a hurry to go somewhere so i did it my self.Next time the dealer gets it. :sick:
    Check reply 907&909 if your still having problems. :)
  • byyallbyyall Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2006 Kia Sedona EX which has had the same problem with the right passenger side door closing properly. It now closes, but there is still a lot of noise on the passenger side of the van. Service people tell me this "is the nature of the beast"! Seems to me there is something amiss. A new van should NOT have these problems.
  • rgochoargochoa Member Posts: 17
    I have the same model Sedona and it is very quiet. The only noise I had was a howling noise that was coming from the crossbars on the roof rack. I disregarded the installation instructions and feedback from the dealership and solved the problem by installing the front one all the way to the front and the rear one all the way to the back. Problem solved.
  • smillersmiller Member Posts: 32
    I couldn't agree more. If your van is maintained, washed regularly, and lubed it should not have ANY problem under normal conditions. I have the 06 Sedona LX, bought in Feb. 07- and it's been to the shop more than my 10 year old Ford f150!I had the steering shake at highway speeds, and most recently I had to take it in for a screw missing from the door latch. We found it laying on the bottom of the sliding door track. The dealer said to "keep an eye on them
    those cross-piont screws can come loose".
    I got the LX because I didn't want extra electric problems,
    but now I have to worry about the screws? And guess what? if a screw was missing my dealer shop would have to ORDER it. A simple screw. These Vans are CHEAP.
  • snjdogloversnjdoglover Member Posts: 13
    I couldn't agree with you more. These vans are crap. I had an 04 lemon and had to get the 06 as part of the settlement. Well even my 06 has been in the shop numerous times. (noise they can't duplicate of course upon start up..sounds awful, broken handles, broken arm rests, dead cigarette lighter, dead battery, now leather peeling, and still terrible noise will bring it back to the shop) What a joke these kia's are. I would NEVER buy one again. NEVER eVER a brand new car constantly in the shop! Oh and forgot the mention the paint job is crap. I have so many scratches all over my paint and nothing has touched it..if it has it is light touches that show up as huge scratches. Just an all around awful car in my opinion.
    Sorry to hear you folks are having problems. I guess it's just luck of the draw, but our 2002 EX had very few issues in the 5 years and 80k miles we owned it. We never should have sold it...

Our 2006 EX with power side doors & liftgate has 11k miles and no problems so far. The doors are quiet, no highway speed shake, etc etc. We are thinking about selling it to 'downsize' in terms of overall cost of ownership, even though the van has been a real pleasure so far.

Happy 2-time Sedona owner here...
    Some of this is scary! I have had the 2006 EX in THREE times for AC problems alone. Of course, always "CAN'T DUPLICATE" even though I took it in, made the service advisor sit in the van with heat coming from the left side and freezing cold on the right side...PLUS hot air from the floor! They say they can't fix it if they can't duplicate it!!

Same comment about wind noise coming from right passenger side front or sliding door, can't tell which. Twice in for that problem.

Many smaller problems at the beginning after June 28th purchase. The van itself drives great, gets wonderful gas mileage, comfortable, etc. However, I fear each time we drive that something else is going to happen to it.
    Do you have another Kia dealership within driving distance?

I ask because these people sound either incompetent or purposely trying to avoid a warranty repair.

If you have heat on the left side, and feezing cold on the right side PLUS hot air from the floor, it seems logical enough to me there is an issue which they should well be able to simulate in their heads as to what the problem is. If they cannot do that, they don't know the vehicle at all which should tell you something.

Now, it's possible they have a very good idea what the problem is, but they must remove a good part of the dash to get to the problem sub-system.

Hmmm.
    Thanks for the same ideas I have already had about my dealership. We do have dealers 2 hours away in three directions. We live in Columbia, SC in the center of the state. There are dealers in Charleston, Spartanburg and Greenwood. The problem is that when I talked to the Service Manager in Charleston he told me I would have to leave the car for several days. How do I get home??

I feel if KIA was interested enough they would have suggested that I take it to another dealer who would LEND ME A CAR TO GET HOME IN so they could check it out. They have a lot to learn about true Customer Service.

The dealership here called KIA who told them no one had reported a problem like this before. Maybe they don't live in HOT (VERY HOT) COLUMBIA SOUTH CAROLINA. I have been made to feel like a fool for complaining about this. I didn't appreciate that at all!

Thanks for the input. Carolyn
    well, another tact would be to educate yourself on how heating and air in a vehicle works (in general terms, better if you can find something specific) so you can speak intellegently about it.

chances are there is a box or compartment where hot and cold and outside air are blended with a damper arrangement before being distributed, and therein may lie the problem.

google it.

you might even find someone else is having the same problem as you.

now here is a suggestion: i presume you'll be driving somewhere and it will happen again. do not shut off the car, do not drive to your destination (or past GO to collect 200), be willing to be more inconvenienced... you don't have many options - drive immediately to the dealership with the problem present (and keep the car running when you get there...DO NOT SHUT IT OFF) and ask for a tech to get in the car and witness the issue first-hand, preferably the master / senior tech in the shop.

be calm, assertive and re-assuring. tell them you know they can fix it, you expect a loaner, and ask them when to come back and pick it up. ;)
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I would appreciate any comments about this year's model.What should I be looking for as far as problem areas.Would you recommend this vehicle to your mom or dad?
  • twinsplus1twinsplus1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Sedona with captain's chairs in the 2nd row. I am wondering if I could swap them out for a bench seat? This arrangement would work much better for our family. Does anyone know ifs the bench seat will fit where captain's chairs are now?
    Thanks!
  • edersmedersm Member Posts: 2
    I'm also having the same wind Howl problems that looks its coming from AC at high wind conditions. Just noticed on this Colorado trip. Is this above solution the solution for this problem? If so is there anyway you can provide me the info for the dealership that fixed your problem. Hopefully that way the dealership in my area can contact them. Thank you so much for your help

Eder
    My problem was finally solved. The windshield was not properly sealed at the factory. The problem you mentioned is exactly what I had. I was very surprised when the tech finally sovled the concern by having the windshield properly sealed. The dealership was Capital Kia in Austin, Texas.
    We drove about 550 miles one way to Nashville, Tn. The wind noise where the passenger side sliding door and front passenger door meet was awful. I could hardly hear what my husband was saying while we were on the trip.
    My dealer, Galeana Kia in Columbia, SC cannot fix anything we have taken it in for. We do not have another dealer anywhere near. One in Charleston was willing to try to fix it but said we would have to leave it a couple of days. That would mean driving 120 miles one way, paying for a motel or driving another car 240 miles RT and then again to pick the van up. Does this suck or what?
    that speaks pretty poorly of the reasons to go with a particular manufacturer and their warranty huh? if a dealership has trouble attracting and retaining competent help, it sure would sway my purchasing decision. sounds like their techs need some training. doesn't corporate care that they can't seem to fix anything there?

now you may want to do some sleuthing yourself. you are pretty sure the problem exists at the interface of the sliding door and the pilar. is there a rubberized seal that goes around the door? look at it carefully and compare to the otherside.

maybe it's gotten krimped or pulled out of it's track or something else is interfering with full closing of the door. it seems you'll have to do a little of your own investigation and bring it back.

good luck.
  • bullittmanbullittman Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I just signed up here and wanted to add to this post about my 2006 sedona ex.
    First we bought it brand new April 2007, at 2000 miles the cooling was slapping the shroud, then on our vacation I had to have the fuel pump replaced in Catersville Georgia with 3800 miles on it(the worst service and parts department I have ever seen, long story :mad: . Anyway and the the biggest issue is the headlight dimming out under 40 mph while off the throttle. I it so annoying in city traffic because at high speeds it doesen't do it. The third time at the dealer I was told by them, kia engineers, and kia HQ that they areaware of the problem but no fix. They said there a thousands of these vans with this problem but won't issue a recall because they said they have no fix and not enough complaints yet.

I really made a mistake by buying this van, at 7000 miles we have had it at the dealer 6 times and 3 times for the same problem!! I am trying to sell it but it does not

Please let me know if any one else has this trouble

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • snjdogloversnjdoglover Member Posts: 13
    I have had nothing but problems with 2 kia sedonas as well. My first a 2004 was a lemon and my settlement was forced to trade it for a 2006 (I paid the difference in sticker of 6K). Now I've been to the shop several times and still get an engine noise that they can't duplicate with this one..may turn out as another lemon. I suggest you file a lemon law if you've had that many serious problems. All you have to do is have gone 3 times to the shop for the same issue within a certain amount of time..might be within 2 years..not sure. Call one of the lemon law attorneys to discuss your problems. I personally would NEVER buy another kia. If I hadn't already paid my car off, I'd get rid of this one. I just would lose so much cash. Their service has been terrible in my experience as well..they can never duplicate the problem..convenient.
    Thanks for the info. I am afraid to take it to someone not an authorized dealer or they can cancel my warranty. I am thinking of calling up Kia AGAIN and see if they will allow me, at my own expense, to take it to a body shop and get them to see what the heck is going on.

My air conditioner is still doing it's own thing...getting hotter on the driver's side than on the passenger side and blows warm air when the AC is on. It mainly does it when the dealership is CLOSED. I got it there once before and made them sit in the car and feel it. They said, "Well, you have it on 72 and it is over 90 outside so it won't cool!!! Can you believe they think we are that stupid? Good grief, it cooled on the right side but not the left!!

The standard answer is "Well, we can't duplicate the problem".

As for the wind noise on the right rear, they say, "Well, this is just the nature of the beast." I am really mad about this. The KIA was such a good deal financially, but I totally understand why now. I need to rent an apartment in the service dept so I don't put so many miles on it driving back and forth between them and home.
    Would any harm be done if running 5W30 oil for a single oil change interval instead of the recommended 5W20? What about running 5W30 for the life of the vehicle instead of 5W20?
    Check your owners manual,it gives the weights of oil you can use.(factory recommened) :shades:
    Wind howl on back doors on my Sedona was created by the crossbars on the roof rack. Move the front one all the way forward and the rear one all the way back. This eliminated the door howl on my vehicle. As for the howl coming from the ac on the drivers side this proved to be a windshield that was not properly sealed. This corrected all my howl problems and I am now a happy owner with 25000 miles.
  • jonh1jonh1 Member Posts: 1
    Speaking of Kia engines... does anyone know where I can go to find the life expectancy of the 3.5LV6 DOHC 195 hp engine--I'm asking in terms of mileage of course.
  • jimmybujimmybu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 sedona and the trans doesn't want to go pass 3rd gear. Hooked up the diagnostic computer and says FO715 turbine speed sensor control. Where is it located? Other than that, the van has given me good service out here in Germany. Also, I have to order the diag tool because the German dealers say that theirs doesn't read American specs cars. Thanks.
  • kiaraykiaray Member Posts: 3
    Wanted to make all 2006 Kia Sedona owners aware of a problem I recently experienced with my van. Problem involved worn subframe bushings and required replacement of the subframe itself. Repair was accomplished under warranty but still leaves plenty of room for concern. Learned from the dealer parts dept that the cost of the subframe is $1974.00. Don't know how many hours of labor were involved, but nonetheless it would drive cost of repair well above $2,000.00

I first notice a problem at approximately 18K miles. Suspension felt like it had weakened but it was nothing I could put my finger on. At approximately 24K miles it sounded like the van was bottoming out, especially during turns. Thought the problem was likely strut related. However, was told when I took it to my dealer that it was a problem with the sub frame bushings and they'd have to order and replace the entire subframe. Was told that mine was the second 2006 that the dealer had to replacer the subframe on. Mine had 27,113 miles on it when the subframe was replaced.

I've written Kia to report the problem and express concern that this is a repair that potentially could have to be made several times unless they've began using more durable bushings. Also ask for assurance that they'd cover the problem if it occurs again - even outside the warranty.

Will update my post when I hear back from Kia.

Love my van - this is the first problem I've had, but it's a potential biggie
    I also have a 2006 Sedona, but have had some other problems with it. The dealer is NO HELP in Columbia, SC. The back passenger side door is very noisy when driving on highway. They say it is "the nature of the beast" and all of them do it. Tell me if yours does it also. The left side is fine. Thanks. Carolyn
  • capecoralbillcapecoralbill Member Posts: 51
    My 2007 Entourage is not noisey, can you describe the noise, is it wind, or a rattle?
    if i'm not mistaken, a bushing is a hardened piece of rubber used at points where there is a mechanical pivot or hinge point, or otherwise pieces of metal come together and there needs to be some mechanical compliance. when they wear and that shouldn't happen in 18K, they may become overly compliant or allow metal parts to move too much.

having a sub-frame go, that seems a bit different, like they were using inferior metals that either corroded (rusted), or fatigued under stress and bent and/or fractured.

i suppose if the bushing materials failed and you had metal on metal contact, then you'd have to have particular elements replaced, like perhaps a sway-bar or a wheel arm or something like that.... but not a whole sub-frame.

there is something about your description that causes me confusion and no-doubt may cause others similar confusion. :confuse:

your report could help others if you were more specific. was it something in the front or rear-end? were was the problem? did you see what failed? do you have the wording from your service record?

it may help other owners to know what to be vigilant about.
    The noise is a wind noise coming from the side back passenger door. Sometimes it will not open or shut correctly and the wind noise is terrible when we are on the road. The dealer is absolutely useless. They say if they tried to do anything to the door it "could make the noise worse". Sounds like truly ingenious people there, huh?
    I called a dealelrship in Charleston, SC and they said if I could leave the van for a few days they would work on it. The problem is they are 3 hours away meaning we would have to drive down then home and back again to pick up the van. That may be the way we go because it is so frustrating.
    The Kia dealer here has fixed absolutely nothing we have taken the van in for.
    The noise is a wind noise coming from the side back passenger door. Sometimes it will not open or shut correctly and the wind noise is terrible when we are on the road. The dealer is absolutely useless. They say if they tried to do anything to the door it "could make the noise worse". Sounds like truly ingenious people there, huh?
    I called a dealership in Charleston, SC and they said if I could leave the van for a few days they would work on it. The problem is they are 3 hours away meaning we would have to drive down then home and back again to pick up the van. That may be the way we go because it is so frustrating.
    The Kia dealer here has fixed absolutely nothing we have taken the van in for.
  • kiaraykiaray Member Posts: 3
    Sorry I wasn't more descriptive, sort of defeated the whole purpose of the post. The noise that I was hearing was coming from the front and particularly on turns. I could hear it clearly while pulling into and out of an inclined driveway as well as when hitting bumps on the road surface.

Paperwork from dealership reads:

Customer states when driving over bumps the front end sounds like it is bottoming out
    Subframe bushings loose
    Replaced subframe

I'm not mechanically inclined, so know nothing about bushings. Didn't realized until I read your response and dug out the paperwork that it stated the subframe bushings were loose. Service manager told me when they initially diagnosed the problem that it was the result of worn bushings. Worn, loose, whatever - they had to replace the entire subframe. Part number is 62405-4D100, Noun is Crossmember Complete

I did not see the replaced part.
    i'm not an expert in this area, but one would expect that if a bushing were worn or torn or needing replacement, it would be a simple matter of replacing a hardened rubber item as i described.

but your whole sub-frame was replaced... and that is interesting. perhaps i have the wrong idea what a sub-frame is.

to me anyway, it seems your work-order isn't very descriptive or complete; to me the damage or the problem or whatever was much more extensive than one or more bushings.
  • kyle11kyle11 Member Posts: 11
    It is so cheep it is not maid in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kyle11kyle11 Member Posts: 11
    I hate kia.
    I just wondered what model KIA you have and what problems you experienced. Many of us are in the same boat. I don't hate Kia but I do not like the lack of service the dealer in Columbia, SC gives. I have not gotten one problem solved with my 2006 Sedona since I purchased it new in June of '06.

I DO LOVE THE Van. The steering is tight, which I don't like. In fact what is it with the HUGE DIAMETERS in the steering wheels these days. It is truly uncomfortable and not only the Kia, but all other minivans I have driven.

You get a lot of car for the money; however, the stress of trying to get anything fixed on one is really not worth it. I wish I had selected Honda or Toyota instead.
  • bdr3297bdr3297 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new sedona in 2002. Problem after problem: engine blew at 23K (bad oil sending unit), replaced AC condenser; its bad after 6 months! Evaporator has a hole in it! Side door doesn't open, needs new part. It seems that the van is falling apart in front of me. We have tried to take good care of it and give it preventive maintenance. I still owe $ on this thing but it is deteriorating in front of our eyes. Any suggestions on what to do?
    Took my 2006 Sedona back to the dealer last weel. As usual, NONE of the problems were fixed. The dealership always says the same thing on every problem, "We can't duplicate the problem" I thought in this day and age of computer science they could hook the vehicle up and find out anything that is wrong. Apparently, I was wrong.
    The air noise on the right side of the van somewhere along the post between the front and back seats continues and actually seemed worse after I took it in. It only could be heard on the right front seat side, but now I can hear it when I drive!
    Lordy, Lordy. I know I will never buy another one.
    Mechanically it runs good and gets great gas mileage for such a heavy van. There are so many extras I still don't know about all of them. I have to get the book out and find out what some of the little icons on the dashboard are.
    I know this is more a dealership problem than it is the vans fault.
    At least this past time I got a NICE service advisor who wanted to help; HOWEVER, he has no control over the mechanics, etc.
    There is NO WAY I will ever buy another one NOR will I recommend a KIA to anyone.
  • bugandbjbugandbj Member Posts: 3
    sounds like you went to the same dealer I've been going to in Fort Myers Fl. they seem to have the excuses down pat--vibration in front wheels that starts at 70 mph-(we can't duplicate your problem, we are not allowed to drive that fast.) wind noise, not bad at local traffic speeds,but deafening at expressway speeds--( we can't duplicate your problem- we are not allowed to drive that fast) Did get a new one last time in-( the wind noise is probably being caused by the window visors you have on the van) before he made that statement he should have looked at the visors and saw the kia name on them. talk about putting your foot in your mouth! the concept that I had the noise before the visors were available never occured to him. I'm with you--I'm sure this will be my last KIA, the van is a great vehicle, as was the SORENTO we had before it but the incompetance I have run into at the dealership cancels out the efforts that KIA has put into it
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    What problems are you having in your 06? I have one as well and may be able to help.
  • bugandbjbugandbj Member Posts: 3
    I really have only two problems with my 06 that bother me to any degree and those are the wind noise coming from the area of the right hand center pillar and the vibration seemingly coming from the front wheels. the wind noise only becomes really bad when you get to highway speeds,but the dealer appears reluctant to put a couple of techs in the van and have them drive out on the highway to islolate the noise. one person in the vehicle could not locate the problem by himself, and unless he got out on the highway he wouldn't hear it. the problem with the front end vibration is most likely( in my opinion as an ex-mechanic) either a tire running out of round at higher speeds or a hydraulic pulse in the power steering system. trouble is that it don't start acting up until you get over 70 mph-seeming to peak out about 77/78 mph. the vibration increases when you back off the throttle and is more pronounced than when accelerating. all the dealer wants to do is balance the wheels-I guess that is supposed to cure everything.of course the other solution is not to go over 70. It's very rare that a person can drive on I-75 and stay at 70 or below without feeling like somebody is going to run over you-I'd rather drive a couple of mph faster and flow with the traffic. I keep hoping somebody up the line in the KIA world would start reading the posts on this site and rattle the dealers a bit , or maybe to loosen the purse strings and let the dealers find solutions. Like a lot of others, I think the Sedonna is a great vehicle-just a few bugs.