Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The Tiburon might be redesigned after the 24/7 plan.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Or maybe the Tiburon will be re-named the Echo! ;)
  • mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    mononeo,
    You're absolutely right about the last series of spy shots being the new Optima. Here are the first confirmed images of the '07 Elantra (due out April/May of next year):

Photo1
    Photo2

Enjoy!

Mike
    Ohmygosh! The Taurus lives!! ;)
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    It looks a little nondescript. Kind of like a Corolla.
    Maybe like the Corolla sold overseas, but not like the Corolla sold in the US. It's hard to tell if this is the sedan or hatchback.
    Well, according to some, the next Elantra hatch will resemble the E3 concept (said "E-cubed"). So more like the Mazda3 5-door or Ford Focus ZX5.

But I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

Mike
    Or like the Spectra5? That would be too bad, IMO. The current Elantra is one of the few fastback-type 5-doors available. I suppose the cargo capacity would increase though.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Someone please remind me how to post a pic on these threads. I have an undisguised Elantra 5-door pic that I am sure was from earlier in this same discussion.
    You just copy the URL of the picture--which must be on a Web site. There's some directions in the Help for Town Hall.

Anyone else notice that the latest picture is nothing like the pictures that have been spread around the Web, including Edmunds.com, purporting to be the '07 Elantra? So one thing is for sure--ONE of them is NOT the '07 Elantra.
    Yeah, the spy photos that most websites have been pushing as the '07 Elantra are more likely the soon-to-debut Kia Optima (shown here beside an '06 Sonata in disguise). There has actually been much heated discussion on certain websites over the identity of the vehicle in those shots. Here's the interior of the supposed Optima.

Mike
    makes me think that its definitely a Kia.
    OK, I give up. What in the photo tells you it's a Kia?
    the steering wheel looks a lot like the one from other Kia models.
    If you say so. I can't tell much difference between that wheel and that from a Sonata: http://tinyurl.com/cgsgk
  • sandpapersandpaper Member Posts: 60
    Go take a look at a picture of a Spectra steering wheel. Hyundai's steering wheel center (where the logo is) is a lot more rounded. Meanwhile, the Spectra/spy spot photos show a more rectangular shape.
    Pretty much what I wanted to say... :D
  • nissan240sxnissan240sx Member Posts: 37

The pictures posted by player4 is Kia Pride. This car is smaller than Hyundai Elantra.
    Hyundai Elantra with project code "HD" is to be released '06 1st quarter in Korea.
    That car is also known as the Kia Rio, which according to Kia will be available in August in the U.S.

Any idea of the U.S. launch date for the new Elantra?
    Earliest: April 2006, Latest: late June 2006 -- in the US, the all-new vehicle will be a 2007 model.

Mike
    It looks like the '07 Elantra will have standard ABS with 4-wheel disc brakes. I make that presumption from the fact that the '06 Accent GLS will have ABS and 4-wheel discs standard. If the low-end Accent has it, certainly Hyundai can't leave it off the Elantra. Looks like the safety equipment on the '07 Elantra--ABS, side curtains, hopefully active head restraints--will be significantly improved from the current model. I'm glad the '07 will be available before I buy my next car in the fall of '06.
    Well, Hyundai has revised the earlier projection that the new Elantra (HD) will be available in early-to-mid 2006. According to a press release given today, the HD will be available Fall '06.

About safety equipment, the release states that "Hyundai's perennial volume leader, the Elantra, will complete Hyundai's 24/7 product launch with its release in Fall 2006. The all-new Elantra will feature segment-leading standard safety technology, including six airbags and ABS."

Mike
    Darn! That means I'd have to buy one right at introduction if I go for it. I did that with my '01 Elantra, but Hyundai was a much iffier proposition back in '00 so even then I got the car for a bit over invoice with no rebates. And there would be no crash test data available--but I think Hyundai has learned its lesson there. On the plus side, there might be some great prices available on the last few '06 models come next fall.
  • lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    This delay is probably another reason why the current rebate on '05 Elantra went down to $1250. Another reason is that Elantra selling well :D
  • njdevilnjdevil Member Posts: 19
    it would be great if they offered a 6 speed transmission in the new 06-07 elantra. i definately would consider getting rid of my civic for that.
    Just an update for those interested in the 2007 HD 5-door: while confirmation is still pending, the following images may show the sport wagon version of the new Elantra replacement.

Photo1
    Photo2
    Photo3

Mike
    Alas, poor fastback Elantra 5-door! We knew ye well.
  • ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    That sure looks like a Hyundized Mazda3 to me!! But it should be cool nonetheless.
  • mitchimitchi Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, do I understand correctly that 06 Elantra is just a 05 model with redesigned interior, while 07 Elantra will be a brand new model (released in 2006 supposedly)? I am from Europe, however, I dont think that it makes a difference (i.e. that the European/American versions would differ). Thanks a lot.
    I haven't heard anything about a redesigned interior for '06. The Elantra's interior was just refreshed for the '04 model year, and '06 will be the last year for the current generation, so I would be very surprised if there would be an interior redesign for '06.
  • mitchimitchi Member Posts: 4
    I see, thanks..... well I will have to have a word with the dealer then :) He said he ordered the Elantra now and it will be a 06 model with interior redesign compared to the current one (05)
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    That sure looks like a Hyundized Mazda3 to me!!

Actually, it looks more like a Spectra5 clone (which is a Mazda3 wagon clone). And that wouldn't be too bad. Compare the Elantra spy photo side view

with a Kia Spec5 side view

Look especially at the front door, front fender and roof & hood lines.
    The pictures posted by player4 is Kia Pride. This car is smaller than Hyundai Elantra.

The car known as the Kia Pride worldwide (except for the U.S.) was sold in the U.S. in the 80s and 90s as the Ford Festiva. The car was refreshed and known as the Kia Avella (Ford Aspire in the States), and the later refresh was the Rio. The New Pride shown in the picture will also be sold under the Rio nameplate in the U.S. (and its twin will be the new Hyundai Accent).

The 06 Rio is supposed to start appearing in U.S. showrooms this month (August). Although I expect it to be too small and spartan for me, I want to give it a test drive anyway before settling on a slightly bigger car such as Elantra, Spec5 or Suzuki Reno.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    have you also considered the Suzuki Forenza(same car as the Daewoo Lacetti). Looks like one can be had for around $13,000 after incentives and/or rebates.

I would lean towards favorite Kia and their Spectra5, Spectra SX or Spectra LX, or a new version of my current ride, the Kia Sportage. I continue to be very impressed by my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4, and, after a brief flirt with wanting a Scion xA RS 1.0 or 2.0, I am now gonna just drive and enjoy my '01 Sportage 4x4 and probably replace it with another Kia, probably a new Sportage or Spectra SX or Spectra5. The Kia deals are just too hot and the Kia designs are too top-notch to pass up. Seriously-they do it best in my book. :D:):D:)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

iluvmysephia1- The Suzuki Reno *is* the Forenza. I want a hatchback, and the Reno is simply the hatchback version of the Forenza (which comes in wagon and sedan versions).

Spec5, Elantra & Reno are all right in there for me right now. I'll probably cost them out against the Focus although I'm not a big Focus fan, and I also want to get a look at the 06 Kia Rio Cinco before I buy. I'll probably decide it's too small and spartan, but I still want to give it a look.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Here, you can get a Reno S for $9200 with the manual and $10k with the auto. They are the nations largest Suzuki dealer, but I don't know how they can sell it so far under invoice. A good friend just bought one, and it sure is tempting for a cheap commuter.
    I think you may have just sold a Reno to someone we know! :)
    The codename for the sport wagon version of the HD is "RC." It has been rumored for a while that the name may change to Talus, but that's yet to be determined.

Mike
  • sandpapersandpaper Member Posts: 60
    Following the announcement of the redesigned 07 Kia Optima, we can now safely say that most of the spypics of the Elantra we've been seeing are NOT the elantra. i knew the vehicle looked too big! from the spypics they looked almost identical in size to the Sonata.
    Yeah, here's the Optima thread. The new Optima and Sonata are very close in size, but the latter is actually a touch larger.

Mike
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    now, this goes back a ways, back to the days that we regulars here discussed the Daewoo corporation's fate ad naseum. I mean we diced it to shreds, right backy?

I am pretty sure that the current Suzuki Reno is actually the Daewoo Tacuma. It looks exactly like it. I wanted one for a while, and, to tell you the truth, I'm gonna take a harder look at the Suzuki Reno. Anyone remember the giveaway contest Daewoo America was having where the prize was a Daewoo Tacuma? All one had to do was name the car a name that Daewoo officials really liked. I tried, too! Thing is, we never found out who won because Daewoo was basically imploding into itself about that time. They are really better off with Suzuki's and Shanghai Motor's and GM's help, ya know? I'm talking about the Daewoo workers who weren't laid off in the implosion.

Some of us wanted to know just when the Daewoo Tacuma was going to be imported here-unfortunately, it was right when things really started looking bleak for Daewoo. Their leader had fled with cash and left them floundering in huge shiploads of debt.

You can look it up and research it, but that Reno is really the Daewoo Tacuma sportwagon/crossover hatch-what-cha-ma-call-it.

The new Suzuki Forenza is the Daewoo Lacetti design and the new Suzuki Verona is the Daewoo Leganza re-design, for added fun! :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I wasn't aware of the Tacuma thing, nor all the past history. But mechanically, the Reno and the Forenza are the same. Some different coachwork on the Reno is all. (I personally think the Reno would look much nicer with the Forenza front grill and fenders, but that's just me I guess.) Aside from that, I have read about the heritage of the current Suzukis (and the Chevy Aveo) with respect to past Daewoo models.

I have another few weeks (at least) before I buy, so I can change my mind at least two dozen more times. At this point, I can't really go any further until I start talking hard numbers I'm ready to commit to. I've driven all the cars I'm seriously considering twice... except for the Suzukis (Reno & Aerio). And that's the dealer's fault since they only had one Aerio SX and it's been sold, and they only have one Reno which is up on one of those big ramp thingies for display purposes. They have something like 50 Forenzas, 1 Reno, a few Veronas and about 20 SUVs. I'm not sure if they have all the Forenzas because they sell, or because they can't move them, but that's neither here nor there since I want a hatchback anyway. (If they came down enough on a Forenza wagon, I might consider it but it would probably have to be enough that they would lose money on the deal).

But I ramble.

I will probably end up with an Elantra, but not just becuase of the car. Backy's a good supporter of the cause. Plus the long bumper-to-bumper warranty coupled with the 100k drivetrain. Additionally, I've found two very active Elantra forums besides this place, a useful website with a lot of cheap & easy Elantra tips with a mail list, and Hyundai lets you view their tech data online for free. I am pretty well convinced that even if I have problems with a new Elantra, there is a big support network that will help out. So the Elantra looks good (at least until I take that second test drive in the Reno.....!)
    Here are three additional photos of the possible RC:
    Front
    Side
    Rear

Mike
    Links don't work for me.
    They worked okay for me...
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    The links do not work.
    give me an error message... :confuse:
    They worked yesterday but are broken now. Strange. They appear to be from the same session as the earlier photos. Some different angles but with all the masking there is no new information really.
    Sorry all, the images are no longer on the source website... I don't know why. :confuse:

doohickie's right: just different angles, really - nothing new.

Mike
  • therealpotustherealpotus Member Posts: 42
    So, when's the new Elantra coming out? Fall 2005 or spring 2006? Is the 'new' Elantra a 2006 or 2007 model?

It seems I've read both. (Even this list's name, 2007 Elantra, makes me think the later, but I thought I've read they're coming out fall 2005.)
This discussion has been closed.