Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• godhelpusgodhelpus Member Posts: 2
    I recently took my LR3 out to Colorado to look at Real-Estate and do some off roading. I live in Chicago, and ended up in Breckenridge for a night. That's a 1073 mile trip for those counting. The vehicle performed magnificently at about 90 the whole way there. From Breckenridge then to Taos New Mexico. 400 Miles. Then some more crusing around the state plus off roading. Roughly 3500 miles. Two Problems. I got a check engine light about 2700 miles in. Stopped in at Colo Springs and was very impressed by the service. They said it was due the the fan spinning too fast due to the thinner air (lack of wind resistance). People in higher elevations might want to ask about this if they are having their lights on. Also, the infamous suspension fault light. This was quickly resolved by a call to LR Colo Spgs, who said to pull over and re-start the vehicle. From then on, it was impecable. Quick Aside: Never in my life did I think a factory standard (HSE) could perform as phenomenally as it did off-road. From the rough n' rocky terrain of the mountains (Hill Decent Control was AMAZING) to the sandy trails of the great sand dunes, this vehicle beat out all of my expectations by a landslide. I just got back, and bought a Freelander. Unfortunately, I've had minor problems with that...

BOTTOM LINE: Other than for a few small issues that were quickly resolved, this vehicle is quite possibly the most amazing peice of equipment I have ever had the opportunity to become aquinted with.
  • kandgkandg Member Posts: 53
    Did anyone get a special class or instruction upon delivery explaining the suspension modes? We were given a quick hour class but it seemed to reveal that the sales people didn't really know much other than how to raise or lower the vehicle. I've read the manual and there's a wealth of little "easter eggs" the sales people don't tell you about. As often seems to be the case, the sellers don't seem to be too familiar with their product.

This is our first "Ford" rover also so hopefully nothing will be amiss..so far the moonroof has "failed" but that's either a fuse or a bad switch. Our appointment is on Friday to have it resolved. The truck has been returning decent mileage (for it's size) and handles better than one would expect.

I was crawling around the undercarriage and would someone explain to me how the fording depths can't affect the underside? There seems to be an awful lot of exposed wiring near the suspension air canisters. The harness are exposed also. I can only assume the engineers knew what they were doing but i don't see how with the possibility of moisture contact can these things be expected to operate reliably if at all
  • lr3_magiclr3_magic Member Posts: 18
    Service advisor called and said the rear suspension height sensor was bad (don't remeber if it was the left or right side) and needed replacing. They are having one overnighted and I hope to get it back by tomorrow evening. :D
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    I'm so jealous..you got to go to CO and off-road the LR3. There are sooo many nice trails it's amazing. Also, near Red River NM is some good off-roading also.

I'm slowly getting more attached to my LR3 HSE after two months and 2600 miles - and no glitches yet. And I've yet to get less than 18.2 mpg. It's hard to find a better riding vehicle and especially one that's so awsome off-road.

Have fun all of you - and good luck.
  • tblasiaktblasiak Member Posts: 2
    Almost made it to 5K miles without a problem when my wife encountered a park brake fault (red light flashing, amber on). She claims it happened when she started the car not to far from home. When she got home I did a few restarts but the fault was still appearing. Not to happy at this point and being late and around 95 and humid I gave up, time for a drink. I was praying that when I started it in the A.M. all would be fine... Guess what, when I turned the ignition and the system booted NO fault appeared.. I put it into drive and spun around the block. The LR3 appeared to be fine.
    Has anyone encountered a similar situation... I called the dealer and they said if it happens again to bring it in..
    My wife and I love the LR3, as well as my 3 year old and 3 month old. No other complaints execept Land Rover should make the memory seat function standard.
  • webbuzzwebbuzz Member Posts: 36
    18.2 mpg? I could only wish. How did you calculate this?
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    webbuzz, I get 18 or 19 MPG if I do long highway trips all the time. Calculated by hand... which isn't too much off from the silly computer average. Worse if I'm loaded up with cargo, of course.

LR3 should be very close to EPA estimates for average driving: 14 city/18 highway.
  • teldocteldoc Member Posts: 49
    Update: We've had our white SE since December and have nearly 10,000 miles. The truck continues to perform flawlessly. It is a joy to drive and is the most confident machine we've owned. Better than the Land Cruiser it replaced.

David
    St. Louis
  • letterrepletterrep Member Posts: 12
    Not even the offer of a big bribe would get my local LR service guys to turn off the 'Inop' feature of the Nav while driving, so I finally moved out of denial and started looking for alternatives for finding POIs and setting destinations using the VR system...the recommended method of operating the Nav on-the-fly. Anyway, the first thing I did was reorganize the VR Nav commands so that they were better arranged in 'like' groups...POI commands with POI stuff...General Nav functions with other General Nav functions, etc. All of this was done on an Excel spreadsheet, then put to practical use, then corrected and changed and redone until it makes pretty decent sense. (Some of you are thinking I have way too much time on my hands, but, in my defense, this is my work vehicle and it's important to me to have Nav all the time, so...this was a professional effort.)

Anyway, in the course of using the Nav with VR, I've found there are lots of limitations and lots of short cuts. None of these, however, are listed in the Navigation System Guide. That guide, rather, tells you how to operate each feature and not really any practical application of it. Some of these I've discovered myself, others I'm sure I don't know yet.

Does anyone know of a 'Practical Use Manual' for the LR3 Nav? If so, let me know. If not, I vote to have an additional forum here where we all can exchange practical knowledge of the use of our Nav systems and then write one ourselves.

BTW, if anyone wants a copy of excel spreadsheet with the commands...email me and I'll send you one.
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    I've been getting readings of 19..., 20, and even 23 mpg on the computer readout while driving the LR3 on the Highway at 65, A/C on, and two people. I called my dealer and told them my 'puter was needing an overhaul. They said it's just fine. Then I started to calculate my mileage the old fashion way, and sure enough - I'm getting 18-20 mpg highway with about 20% around town travel mixed in. I've never done strictly highway or around town travel as I get around 400 miles per tank.

I filled my tank on the last 5 occasions until gas started to run out the filler hole, and then used a calculator to determine the mileage, and it's always within 1 mpg of the computer reading. I also drive "nice" in full auto mode. My dealer says "they are getting lots of reports of great mileage". My little Toyota truck only gets 21-23 mpg with it's 3.4L V6. So, no complaints from me..let's hope the other gremlins stay away as well.
    Got a call from the service adviser who said that they had finally figured out it was the right rear suspension height sensor that was bad. Sounds like they couldn't get the system to log a specific failure, just a general one. They had to order a new and would have one overnighted. Yesterday I called and they put the new sensor on and were still getting a failure message. They now think that the right front height sensor is bad also and have ordered an overnight delivery for that part. Will see today if that fixes the problem. I've owned the LR3 for nine days now and I've had it for 5 days and the dealership has had it for 4. :sick: I believe based on my vehicle that they have ordered several replacement suspension sensors for any other LR3 with this potential problem. Haven't heard any mention of a bad compressor yet in my problem. Is this a problem with a faulty batch of sensors or a design flaw? Is was wondering as it seems to be reported from vehicles just delivered and not from earlier builds. Any way to tell the vehicle build date from VIN or a posting on the vehicle?
  • slammieslammie Member Posts: 38
    Anybody know when the 2006 LR3's will be rolling into dealerships? And are there any changes folks are aware of? Thanks
  • flownerflowner Member Posts: 42
    They said they will prorate the tires. I'll have to pay $300 for them to replace all four tires, which also includes an alignment, balacing and mouting. I'm still think it may be a problem with the suspension that causee the uneven tire wear.
    These are my rough estimations: Just drove from Giebelstadt to Amberg (A3-A6) Trip computer said distance covered was 106 miles. Used one quarter of the tank driving with cruise set on 95mph, AC temp was 72 auto. If the tank is 22gallons, by my calculation that was 5.5 gallons used into 106 miles or 19.27mpg. The fuel computer takes the average of your economy during acceleration starts and your fuel economy during cruising hence roughly 6mpg for average acceleration and about 20mpg highway cruising, divide by two and you come up with approx. 13 mpg which is what the computer is showing/ reading (13.2-13.6). My Bimmers have 16 gallon tanks, use up a quarter tank over the same distance (but at higher speeds, approx. 125mph) and average about 25.7 mpg. A similar model but diesel version (320d) took 8 litres of diesel to fill up to cover a distance of 100 miles which came up to about 48 mpg. And that was at 220kph (130mph). BUT, the Bimmers weigh in about 2000 lbs lighter i believe.

EPA fuel economy figures always carry the disclaimer (actual mileage will vary) I'm pleasantly pleased that this behemoth of a truck gets, imho, decent gas mileage.
    Called the dealer this afternoon about picking up my LR3 HSE7. It has been in the shop since tuesday of this week for suspension failure upon lowering. Today they replaced the front suspension height sensor after it had been overnighted. Yesterday they replaced the rear right suspension height sensor after waiting a day for it to be overnighted.

When I called this afternoon, the service advisor stated that my vehicle was now giving a different failure message and that they would need more time to figure out what was going on. Stated they would probably have to contact Land Rover to get help with the problem. Failure message started around 100 miles and I have now had the vehicle only 5 days and by next Monday, the dealership will have had my LR3 for 6 days. Will wait to see what the dealership says on Monday before I start the process of contacting LRNA customer relations. Don't know if that will make any difference. I do have loaner so can get around, but not like having my own vehicle and it is not a HSE with Nav and towing. :mad:
  • norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    Well have had my LR3 HSE for 4 months now and have covered 3000 miles. My car is performing well. In fact, I've taken it to 90mph (its so smooth and quiet) and its amazing at that speed. The steering tightens up and feels very very stable. So far my issues have been minor, the CD stoped working, rattle in the front door, and now I get a low coolant warining due to a faulty sensor. But its an incedible truck. Really the best of boths worlds, awesome on road and very cabable off road. Not many SUVs can claim that, seems like the Germans are concentrating on on road SUVs only now.
    '06 Ford F-150 gets Sirius - as will Ford Explorer; '06 Land Rover LR3 still won't. More proof LR3 is not a Ford truck: ;)
    http://news.com.com/Ford+vehicles+about+to+get+Sirius+radios/2100-1041_3-5813877.html
    Official 2006 Land Rover LR3 trims & pricing (US)

LR3 V6 = $38,950 USD
    LR3 SE = $45,450 USD
    LR3 HSE = $53,450 USD

Options:

"SE" Premium Package (leather trimmed seating surfaces, shift knob and front folding armrests, 240-watt harman/kardon® audio system with remote audio controls on steering wheel, power tilt, slide front sunroof, second row auxiliary audio port, and "SE" badge at rear tailgate) [V6; Std. in SE/HSE] = $3000

On/Off-Road Navigation (seven-inch color-screen, DVD-based on-road navigation, off-road navigation, 4x4 Driver Information Center and voice-activated operation) [SE; Std. in HSE] = $2,650

Rear Seat & Climate Package (second-row fold flat seating, third-row fold flat seating, third-row side curtain airbag SRS, third row map lights and accessory power outlet, rear luggage net and additional front cupholder, second-row A/C and heating controls regulating airflow to the second and third row seats, two vents at second-row headliner, two vents at third-row C-pillar and one outlet at third row lower level) [V6; SE; Std. in HSE] = $2,200

Luxury Package (adaptive front lighting system, cold climate package, and center console cooler box) [HSE] = $1,750

Lighting Package + Rear PDC (Bi-Xenon headlights, automatic headlights, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, rain-sensing wipers, front fog lights, headlight power washers, and Homelink® Rear Park Distance Control) [SE; Std. in HSE] = $1,400

Cold Climate Package (includes heated front windshield, heated front-and second row seats with two heating levels and heated windshield washer jets) [V6; SE; HSE] = $1,050

Heavy-Duty Package (locking rear differential and full-size spare alloy wheel) [V6; SE; HSE] = $625

Personal Telephone Integration System console cradle and Bluetooth connectivity [SE; Std. in HSE] = $400

Center Console Cooler Box [SE] = $250

Java Black Pearl Exterior Paint [V6; SE; HSE] = $400
  • nbarconbarco Member Posts: 14
    I have the 2005 LR3 HSE with a climate package and tow package. I am stationed in Germany and have really had the opportunity to drive this vehicle on road. I have seen the 120mph limit for an extended period on the autobahns, although I typically set cruise control to 100mph on road trips. The vehicle handles great and drives great, but I have never seen the gas mileage others are claiming, even at 80mph. My average fuel consumption is 13mpg. I kind of expected this when I purchased the vehicle. It also receives many compliments. It goes in for an oil change on the 15th of August. Also, my rear center seat is coming apart at the rear seams, the driver's side window has a loud rattling sound when going up and down, and the front speakers rattle horribly with any kind of bass going through them. I am interested in hearing any comments about the speaker issue and for those of you with the new bluetooth setup, how is it? Worth getting? I will give you an update on the servicing of the listed items. Anyone else have this horrible speaker problem?
    nbarco, where are you stationed in Germany. I'm meeting up with a few folks at a car show on Vogelweh this coming weekend. They want me to enter the LR3 in the stock class.

My dealer said bluetooth was installed on mine, I still have to ask my build date as maybe mine is an 06 (euro model deliveries are differently dated i believe). Be wary though..with that cabir virus out there, i'm not sure if i want that option disabling my nav system or any other related accessory. I'm not an expert but i figure if anything has to communicate with the symbian os then it is a potential threat. It happened to my d1 triband while i was in the states. When i came back, my battery was discharging every day.

I also have the rattle from the speaker grills. It appears to be the grill from the midrange and the tweater vibrating in sympathy from the lower freqs. Only option really is to rip it out and start over..after all, what OEM manufacturer knows anything about car audio? :P (exception being mark levinson stereos in Lexus)
  • hose4yahose4ya Member Posts: 1
    7500 Miles is your first oil change. My air compressor just quit this morning! Plus My radio sounds like crap! I'm starting not to like my LR 3 WITH ONLY 3500 MILES! :lemon:
  • jackmacjackmac Member Posts: 26
    Completed a 1300 mile trip last week - Philly to Montreal, then Quebec City, and back. Average fuel economy 15.4 (getting 19+ on highway). Smooth and stable at 80-90mph on scenic I-87 though New YorK state.

Very comfortable on long drives. We did the return trip home in one shot. No fatigue at all when getting out after a 4 or 5 hour stretch to stop for a meal or gas. Nav took us door-to-door, across borders, down 300 year old streets in old city. Although, it did respond with "Chinese restaurant" when using voice activation to locate a hotel on the drive up. Good for a laugh, at least. Got to read the Nav manual one of these days. (letterep, a request for spreadsheet coming soon!)

4200 miles now, on a May 2005 build HSE-7 and only had 1 minor issue with a bent dust shield on the R/F brake rotor, plus the usual hazing on the door panels that wipes off with a clean damp microfiber towel, or products mentioned on other forums. Getting the "low coolant" warning occasionally, but the reservoir looks a bit low.

Interested in hearing from anyone with experience on the dealer kit PTI. Would have prefered to get the factory unit, but was not available at the time (and is now standard on HSE for 2006). First version was expensive by comparison, and had limited functionality, not sure if anything has changed.
  • manoftastemanoftaste Member Posts: 51
    Hello all, newbie here, and interested in LR3 but not able to decide between loaded up SE or HSE. Main reason is the wheels, with SE you get a little more tire, good for offroad, etc. Also, I personally like the design of the SE wheels. Has anyone test driven both SE and HSE and was there any difference in ride quality on highway or offroad interms of smoothness on highway and grip off road? Any insights would be great help. Also what benefit does PTI provide, how does it work exactly?
    hi jackmac, just wondering if you tried to push it above 90 mph and if you did, was it still a smooth ride. I plan to do alot of long driving when i get mine...
    manoftaste, yes the LR3 is very smooth at higher speeds... but don't think you won't notice it's the heaviest in class SUV out there. It's no sports cars. Acceleration at higher speeds is fairly poor. And you will feel like you are moving a giant box on wheels with any hard manuevering. (I had the chance to track the LR3 once; fun but frightening.) I'm sure it's good for a SUV, though. I do know one thing: the LR3 will be one hell of a weapon driving at illegal road speeds. ;)

The SE 18" might have a slight edge on quality of drive on rough surfaces, but I don't think it's very noticable at all. (I drive HSE.)

PTI is just a fancy name for a hands-free cellular kit. Read the marketing. (Or do a search here.)
  • sunridgefarmsunridgefarm Member Posts: 1
    My LR3 has been in the shop for over 50 days with various problems. The first problem I had occurred at 5700 miles when a bunch of lights went on. I didn't know what they meant so I had to look them up in the book. When I got it to the shop the original lights were off and different lights were on. They could not find the reason for that. Then the day after my 7500 mile check my check engine light went on . It took 3 weeks to fix it (new fuel tank). With in three hours of having it back the car started to "surge" and then die. It took over a week to get that fixed (new fuel pump) when it was finished the service manager drove it to make sure it was working right and the check engine light went on, got that fixed and then 24 hours after having the car back the check engine light is back on. They keep telling me that now it is an emissions problem and that the car is fine to drive. However, we are about to go on a 2000 mile driving trip and need to tow a trailer. I asked the service manager if he would send his family out on a long trip with the light on and he admitted that no he would not want to do that. I am so frustrated and no longer trust that car. I am looking into filing a claim under the Lemon Law. Anyone else with fuel tank problems or emissions problems?
  • jackmacjackmac Member Posts: 26
    At nearly 3 tons, probably best to keep speeds under 90, although it certainly could to it. If this is one if your priorities, suggest looking at HSE for the lower profile tires and larger brakes. Of course, there are several others SUV's to choose from that favor on-road high speed performance. What's great about the LR3 is its flexibility to serve in a variety of situations, and does most of them very well with little compromise.
    jackmack, the brakes are the same size on North American SE and HSE.
    thanks grommet and jackmac. so the SE's tires might be slightly better on rough surfaces but HSE's ride might be better at highway speeds. so low profile tires like HSE's provide smooth ride at high speeds, is that why all the large high end sedans like BMW 545 or 745 have low profile tires? basically, i am going to be doing some offroading as well as a lot of long trips. I recently drove to colorado for about 1850 miles from NY and granted it was a small SUV that we were in but at times when i needed to pass trucks etc, i just wished i had more power. also, the reason i am asking for the SE and HSE tires is because when in colorado, i did quite a bit of driving on dirt roads up in the mountains and i plan to do that again. and i am wondering if low profile tires would be a good choice. i can probably go for a fully loaded SE but than i dont get the better audio system....i guess my choices are either the GX 470 or LR3. though i am clearly biased toward LR3, i still want to test drive the GX-470. has anyone driven the GX-470 on highway and is it any better than LR3 at high speeds?
    >> provide smooth ride at high speeds, is that why all the large high end sedans like BMW 545 or 745 have low profile tires?

Ride characteristics of BMW's are more than just tires..black magic voodoo ;)

>>I recently drove to colorado for about 1850 miles from NY and granted it was a small SUV that we were in but at times when i needed to pass trucks etc.

The only SUV type vehicles i know of that render this point moot are Dinan based 4.6is BMW's (soon to be 4.8is) and Porsche Cayennes. It's all in the way you drive and time your passing. If you wait until you're right upon the guy in the right lane and try to accelerate you won't be able to move the mass quick enough. Laws of physics..

>> the reason i am asking for the SE and HSE tires is because when in colorado, i did quite a bit of driving on dirt roads up in the mountains and i plan to do that again. and i am wondering if low profile tires would be a good choice

to offroad you can deflate and inflate your tires for better traction. The HSE tires do not have that much of a lower profile imo when comparing them to low profile 45's on cars. There is still a lot of sidewall that must support the mass of the vehicle and retain ride comfort

>>i can probably go for a fully loaded SE but than i dont get the better audio system

it is slightly better but not by much. You can always do better than factory here with aftermarket but you won't have the OEM integration that some people prefer. The LR3 has so many stowage binnacles you can find some clever places to mount all sorts of gear and have a separate (but better than stock) system. Most of the new heads come with remotes anyway or some even have voice command.

>>i guess my choices are either the GX 470 or LR3. though i am clearly biased toward LR3, i still want to test drive the GX-470.

only you can make that choice for yourself as it will be subjective. What's right for you may not necessarily be right for others on this board. I myself would rather you buy the Lexus so my vehicle remains a rarer sight ;) but ask your self this question..Which is more important to you, luxury or utility? Then, lastly, can the lexus do this?

• flownerflowner Member Posts: 42
    I have filed the MVD(Motor Vehicle Defect) with the manufacture which is the first step in the Florida process. This gives Land Rover one final repair attempt before I can file for relief from the FL lemon Law.

My reasons for filing are 24 days out of service.
    4 times in the shop, 2 suspension faults Uneven tire wear on inside edge of the tire, Alignment.
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    I owned a GX470 with 3rd row and Lexus bought it back as they could not cure the vibration problem. The GX 3rd row is useless. It has no where near the LR3 power!
    I have a HSE with 17,000 on it with every option except adaptive headlights & cooler.
    I have run the LR3 in the wilds of Quebec (unmade roads, plain ice & snow) in arctic conditions to Florida in tropical conditions. It works!
    The 3rd row seats are fine for average adults. Infinetly better than Lexus etc.
    I am now averaging just a hair under 22mpg & it just gets better!
    As Grommet says the PTI is a joke and I'd avoid the factory setup offering.
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    I was just reading through the latest LR3 messages and noticed your comment about the door panel hazing. I have a black SE with black interior and noticed the haze on the interior doors - makes them look awful. Can anyone there out save me some reading time and fill me in on the cause and cure for this (if any)?

FYI - about 5K miles, no problems so far (other than $1,300 in damage to my roof due to my wife trying to fit it into the side of the garage where it doesn't fit). Other minor gripes: truck lurches when first put into drive, volume knob is in a spot where I keep hitting it by accident, turning it way up or off; other then that, I love it as much as I can love an SUV. Thanks
  • azstalzazstalz Member Posts: 3
    HSE black interior door panels are also hazing very bad in my LR3. Dealer solution was to give me a spray bottle of cleaner/protectant and two red shop rags and take care of it myself. Nice, huh?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    .........Nice, huh?

LOL............kind of like being given an oil seal and a wrench when you come in complaining of a leak. ;)
    My 2005 LR3 HSE was delivered 13Apr2005, after waiting two weeks in the shop just to get the PDC working. New CJB was installed and problem was not fixed. Tie-wrap was too tight against frame on fiber optic line and was disrupting signal. Since then my LR3 has been in the shop eight times I believe. Here's the list: Rear interior passenger door handle and lock lever inoperable, glove box latch inoperable, Nav system boot failure (still not resolved after new Nav installed), intermittent stereo operation (still not resolved), rear locking differential sensor failure (diff replaced), compressor housing failure (replaced), fuel tank sending unit problem (tank assembly replaced), white hazing on all of the black interior panels, trip computer distance-to-zero inoperable (new instrument cluster), and voice-recognition system failure (new HSE stereo head-unit installed). About one out of ten times I start the vehicle the nav system freezes at the Land Rover Oval on the very bright LCD (that cannot be turned off), the stereo goes intermittent every 2 seconds, and the voice recog does not work. I have spoken to dealer and am returning the vehicle to LRNA because it has been in for the same item over four times in four months and is still not resolved. :lemon: Now I have to decide if I want to try another one or a different model. They have started a "case" and I will find out what their plan is in a couple of days they said. Any other returned vehicles out there? Overall, I am very displeased with the supposed new high quality manufacturing facility in Solihull that Ford built for the new LR3/RRS chassis.
    does everyone mean "scuffing" in reference to hazing? The panels are just going to get that way, i'm afraid. My Bimmers are the same way. Back in the early 90's the cars had a glossy look to their vinyl interior panels, then somewhere along the way they stopped doing that. The best protectant i used was formula 2000 but that will make everything shiny and "wet" looking..plus if you still have that new car smell, it pretty much does away with it in exchange for a turtle waxy smell. Try water and a sponge first, then maybe meguiars vinyl protectant
    It looks more like a dusting of white talcum powder all over the surfaces, then the powder wiped off... something that definitely shouldn't happen to interior panels in under four months!
    it sounds like a static charge buildup over all that vinyl (not surprising) considering the acreage of the stuff in the truck (causing dust and minute particles to cling to the panels). Is this possibly what it is?

it might help to have an air ionizer plugged in.
  • roverfishroverfish Member Posts: 4
    Sorry about your problems. I had a check engine light come on right after I purchased the car. It referenced an emissions problem, but that checked out ok. Then they thought it was the computer, but that was ok as well. Turned out to be a damaged wiring harness giving a false signal. Problem did not return after this was replaced and I have had no further incidents. Hope you find resolution to your problems, one way or another.
  • photodiscophotodisco Member Posts: 17
    Out of curiousity, I am interested in asking some of the LR3 owners on this forum who were previous Disco II owners, to give their opinions on the differences.

I currently own a 2001 Disco II and am at a crossroad whether to keep my Disco II and purchasing the extenended warranty till about 90k or trade it in and get an LR3. Even with all the quirky traits of the disco...i do still like it very much.

Any thoughts?
  • lr_saleslr_sales Member Posts: 13
    There is a proctetant they put on all the plastic, vinyl and leather services on brand new cars that are shipped. Its kind of a UV protectant stuff and if it is not cleaned off after a while it turns to a white haze. Sounds to me like the detail shop at your dealership did not do a good enough job of throughly cleaning the vehicle before delivery. Try and clean a section of it yourself with some high quality vinyl/plastic cleaner. I have found Meguiars NXT protectant does ok for Walmart off the shelf stuff. If that does clean it up take it back to your dealership and have them redetail the inside of your car.
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    I was in your exact same situation a few months ago. I had a 2003 Disco II that I loved. I was coming to the end of my lease and was going to purchase it and buy an extended warranty for $2800 from Land Rover. I decided, rather than buy the extended warranty for the Disco II to just lease a new LR3. After a month of driving the LR3 you will forget all the things you liked about the Disco because simply it a superior car. It rides like a lux car, has tons of power and the ergonomics have been fixed. You will love it.
  • chameechmanchameechman Member Posts: 1
    I have had my LR3 since December 2004. It has been at the dealer 5 times for a suspension fault.

They said vehicle was in transport mode by default. Picked up vehicle and within one day message returned. Took back and they replaced the compressor. Problem occurred again. Said battery was giving fluctuating voltage. Changed battery and within a week problem returned. Land Rover told dealer to replace compressor and relay. They said they drove vehicle for a few days and problem did not return. I picked up the vehicle and within 2 miles of leaving the dealer fault message returned. Vehicle has been at dealer for another week and I do not know what they are doing. They have been good to me in giving me quality replacement vehicles to drive, but I am concerned.

I have been offered 2 months of lease payments for my inconvenience but have not accepted because I an concerned I could not use the CA lemon law if I accept.

Perplexed in CA.
  • lr3suffererlr3sufferer Member Posts: 1
    I agree, I got my LR3 on Feb29th and have been back at the dealer 1or 2 times each month since for a variety of issues. Suspension fault(new sensor and compressor), knocking/rattling noise in roof(new sunroof assembly)after 4/5 tries, chaffing side panels, warning lights going on all the time, headliner out of place(pending), leaking water through front door and headliner(new).I cannot believe that such a prestigious and expensive vehicle can be so lousy. I am looking to return the car under the :lemon: law and go elsewhere. Has anyone else had to do this.....HELP!!!!!!!
  • LandRoverOwnerLandRoverOwner Member Posts: 24
    The oil change interval is every 7500 miles, not every 12000 miles. Your first 6 service visits are covered.
  • LandRoverOwnerLandRoverOwner Member Posts: 24
    Try to escalate it with Land Rover Customer Care first. They are easy to deal with and can get things done quickly. Lemon law, on the other hand, takes an extremely long time (well over a year). Once you file, you can't really use customer care any more.
    LandRoverOwner, Lemon Law isn't "well over a year" (at least in California). Normally, the manufacturer will offer to do the replacement or buy-back if you clearly meet the Lemon Law requirements and follow the process... even before formal arbitration begins. With the full process, it's still not "well over a year."
  • nbarconbarco Member Posts: 14
    I am in Vilseck, Germany.....Bluetooth is not supposed to be standard option, so double check, as it will be expensive to install at a later date. I will be taking it in for service on the 16th. They will have to fix the rattling.......warranty..........
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    Regarding the interior door panel "hazing" - I don't remember seeing it when I first took delivery. I think appeared after I starting cleaning areas from time to time, and it seems to worsen when you try to clean it with a sponge & water alone. I did hit a small area with an ArmorAll wipe (non-shine type) - it did darken it up, but I'm not crazy about wiping down all the door panels.

It's definitely different than the scuffs you get on all black interiors.