Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The light brown beige color is 50's - 60's VW all the way. Used to see a lot that color. Make sure to wear bone colored velcro walking shoes to complete the total appearance when leaving the car. I've been told those shoes are very popular in Florida with the senior dude set.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Maybe so, but I've compared notes with some other drivers in my crew and they've all said the same thing I did and have experienced the same hydroplaning issue during the rain so it just can't be me...all our experiences are almost identical! Just like yesterday, when there is a row of vehicles to be moved and there is a Fiat or two in line, I will choose something else unless i have no choice and that's exactly what I did, twice, yesterday.

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I heard, but have not experienced, that these little Fiats move around a lot in crosswinds.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    edited August 2013
    So I drove the new Accord for its first commute this morning. 26 miles, mostly interstate. Indicated MPG for this commute segment was 38.7. I'm not sure how accurate the computer is yet, but I'm pretty pleased for an engine that hasn't broken in yet. As they say, YMMV.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I'm with you on the Accord Sport with CVT. Obtainable for about $25K out the door and an all-around great car.

I hated CVT prior to test driving the new Accords this year. When I say hated, I mean hated; that is the right word. Now, it's as good as any slush-box automatic I've ever driven.

It handles well, is quiet, felt great, and the interior seemed top notch for a $25K car.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    And it has a 17.2 gal. tank.
    - Ray
    Range = good....
    2022 X3 M40i
    edited August 2013
    My '06 A3 having 103 thousand very fun miles on it means I'm not a "chronic" car buyer, but it's still running fine, so I am a bit crazy, or just ready for something new and different.

I have a HPDE in November and if I can hold out until then with a new (or almost new pre-owned) car, then I can track the old A3 one last time. If I buy in early November it'll still be too early to take the new car out on the track (won't be broken in yet).

Heck, at the rate I'm going looking at cars and doing test drives, I can't see holding out much past September (custom order could take 8 to 12 weeks?)
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    100K is a very good time to pull the rip cord on an Audi IMO. As you know, major repairs on this car are expensive and after 100K, it is not unreasonable that major components could fail.

I plan to "save" my aging MINI by buying an inexpensive pickup truck. I bet I could pay for a good chunk of the truck itself in a couple years by not having to do major work on the MINI.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Wife saw the shoes on the CX-7 this morning and directed me to find a replacement. I'm down to three options:

Bridgestone Dueler Ecopias. 65k tread life.

Pirelli Scorpion Verde. 50k.

Yokohama YK-580. 60k.

All are between $900-1000 installed. I've got the Ecopias being trucked in from Chicago and not sure they will be in CO by Saturday, which is the only day available to get them installed. The others are more readily available.

Is there a bad choice among the three?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    I plan to "save" my aging MINI by buying an inexpensive pickup truck. I bet I could pay for a good chunk of the truck itself in a couple years by not having to do major work on the MINI.

I'm not sure I get this. If your MINI needs major work, you'll carry it around in the back of your pickup truck?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

No, lol, you only need a pickup if you own a Harley! (and a crane would help).

What I meant was things like tires, brakes, struts, and misc. repairs are a lot cheaper on a Ford Ranger than a MINI---the cost per mile is less.

Since I use my car for work and have to drive a lot, I'm just wearing this MINI out at a fast clip---50K miles in 3 years already.
    edited August 2013
    Yeah... I think I knew what you meant.. ;-)

When you said "major work", I was thinking clutch, cooling system, etc.... that could still pop up, even if you aren't driving it much...

Small pickups get crappy gas mileage, though....

(that blank ICON is a wink, by the way...)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Are you going through Discount? I remember you mentioning Les Schwab, they recently opened one here in Parker, did you happen to shop them? The Pilot has a little over 34K miles on it, Schomp mentioned replacing the tires soon at my last service. I'm just trying to decide if I want to do that or get something new...
    Yeah but fussy MINI requires premium fuel (and good premium fuel at that--I've even had to switch to colder spark plugs), whereas funky Ford PU runs on any old crap.
    " I'm just trying to decide if I want to do that or get something new... "
    Well, I vote 'get something new'
    - Ray
    Surprise, surprise ........
    2022 X3 M40i
    Yes I am using Discount in Castle Rock. I've not contacted Les Schwab in Parker.

I've got just over 37k on the OEM Duelers. Everyone I've mentioned that to are surprised by that longevity. But it's time - maybe a bit overdue.

I think my problem is I'm looking for a tire that does everything - quiet, good mileage but also handles rain and snow well. I've never done dedicated winter tires, even after 20 years in Colorado.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Hey there dad23. I also have a 4WD Pilot and recently replaced the OEM Good Year Fortera HT after 31K miles and change with the Michelin Latitude tires that came standard on the Pilot Touring. They were more expensive, but get excellent reviews on Tire Rack for comfort & longevity. Almost 10K into them, I'm really impressed and happy with my purchase.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

On my way home from the Yankees game last night, I was able to have some fun with the roads that got soaked during the rain storm that delayed the game in the 8th inning. I chucked my BMW around some tight turns with the transmission in DS mode. My new Michelin MXM ZP tires held on for dear life. I didn't see the stability control light flash even for a split second. On similar turns with the OEM Continentals, it would flicker a few times during spirited, wet driving.

Not only do they handle better & bite quicker, but they provide a much more compliant ride.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    103k? It's probably due for a timing belt, if you haven't done that, yet. Probably time for something new, before something major goes wrong. How has the A3 been, reliability wise?
    16 for the year, so far. Keep 'em coming, people!

Wow. Even with jolie, ray and myself punching cards in the past 2 weeks, we are only at 16? Sorry breld, but you are going to have to pick up the slack. Again...

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Just got called for a gig at Hertz tomorrow. It's not as good as a road trip but I'll take whatever I can get now. Can't wait till after Labor Day so things will pick up again!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    Hey, I'm willing. just send me some cash and I will get right on it!

I told my wife this morning that I was mistreated, since I don't have a car. she tried to claim I had 2 (since both kids cars are in my name), but I told her that would never fly. Because if I tried to take the daughter's car back, she would find me floating face down in the pool! And the son will be working (temp job) soon.

Scarily, after labor day when school and his job start, I will be stranded at home every day unless my wife decides to WFH occasionally. I might get the shakes from that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    It's somewhat surprises me the 4WD Pilot doesn't have the tires that came on my 2006 Ridgeline. A Ridgeline is a 4WD Pilot with a bed. It has Michelin XLT (or something like that). They are no longer made, but there is a XLT MS or something which seems to be somewhat the same tire. These have been the best tire of any I have owned. The Ridgeline has 53,000 miles on them and they could easily go another 10,000. They are quiet (not as quiet with this much mileage now) and have great traction in snow. 8 inches on flat ground and the truck just goes thru it. They are expensive, about $190 per tire. I need to decide what to do with the truck, but if I decide to keep it, this tire is what is going back on it.
    Not sure about those 1st generation (pre 2009) Pilots, but '09 - '11 LX, EX, EXL, EXL w/ Nav, EXL w/ RES all have these good year FORTERA HT tires. My biggest problem with them is how quickly they wore out. At 31K miles after 18 months with regular rotAtions, I couldn't afford to buy them again. I have this thing where I notice every little detail about cars, like the fact that the Pilot Touring came with Michelins instead of Good Years. I read the reviews on TR & bought them at my local tire shop. The ride is so much quieter & much smoother.

I am pretty impressed with our Pilot's 4WD capabilities. In 18" of hard, packed snow, I shoveled a small path (because I couldn't see my BMW), backed out of the garage, shifted into 2nd gear, locked the VTM-4 differential, & literally drove like there was nothing on the driveway but blacktop.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Mmmm...I do have the itch again already.

BUT, I'm really trying to wait until next year. Maybe if we need another punch toward the end of year I can push that up. : )

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    38.7 MPG on the new Accord??!??

That is very compelling for what I'm looking for, particularly for the lower priced models (I like the Sport personally). The only, somewhat shallow, catch is that I'd like a non-sedan body style to vary the lineup.

I'll be curious to see real world mileage results on the new Mazda6 - Mazda has been pretty true to their EPA ratings, so they should be good.

That'd be a tough choice if I went that way - Accord Sport or Mazda6 Touring.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Well, the first 50K miles are much more expensive than the second 50K miles on a car, at least depreciation wise.

At least, this is what I tell my wife so she won't become a chronic car buyer.
    I did the timing belt between 80-85K. They lowered the recommended interval from 100K to 75K miles in the service manual for Audi's. Guess too many were causing major damage and havoc in the 95 to 100K range.

Reliability wise it has been very good, not perfect, but very good, and that includes 2 weekend HPDE per year the last 3 years. I drive the heck out of it; as I expect all my cars to be able to handle being driven.

Audi covered a failed AC at 53K miles (good of them to step up). They also reimbursed me for failed intake runner control modules to the tune of almost a $700 check (it was covered to 120K 7 years voluntarily by Audi).

Besides those things which Audi handled, I've paid for:

1) spark plugs and coil packs; normally a maintenance item, but I mention it because the coil packs were recalled during warranty, so probably only had 50K on them, the spark plugs only 30K. $125
    2) Recirculation valve $400 repair at about 65K miles.
    3) Diverter valve; never failed, but I preempted it with an upgrade $165 right after the other valve failed (known trouble spot, but Audi upgraded the replacement part pro-actively).
    4) My center armrest I live with the latch being broken. (repaired under warranty once too).
    5) the right rear window switch doesn't work, but driver's control of that window does; I live with it.
    6) The pump and/or tubing doesn't get washer fluid to the rear window (I live with it).

And lastly, lots of tires and brakes, pads, and rotors, but that's the way I drive. You got to pay to play I've learned.
    Second commute, stop & go traffic and A/C on got 36.2mpg. Happy camper here.

When I went to look at the Accord, I went thinking Sport. At the end of the day, it was missing a few things I appreciate, like a sunroof and smart key. The Sport only illuminates the driver power window switch, 4 speaker base stereo, no auto up/down passenger window, etc. It sounds minor but little stuff like that is what bugs me over time and makes me CCBA in the first place.

For me, I've found that its better to spend a little more upfront for the a more featured car since it helps me keep cars longer. It has worked on my Acura, and I hope it works on this Accord. Plus I think the EXL, at its current $25-26k street price loaded, is a pretty strong value. And seat memory+wife=happiness.

Regarding the 6 Touring, be sure to check the leatherette seats first. I sat in one on a warm day and found they were pretty clammy, and I'm not usually sensitive to that kind of thing. And they aren't heated, so expect the opposite problem in the winter. I honestly think they should have done cloth on the mid trim...it would have solved both issues.

Thanks, the reason I asked is that I'm considering ponying up for VW's factory-backed extended warranty... That would ease the sting of paying for a lot of those repairs. It's a little less expensive if you purchase it before the vehicle has 10,000 miles. I need to read the exclusions again--I know I was disappointed to read that it doesn't cover CV boots.
    edited August 2013
    "VW's factory-backed extended warranty"
    Please let me know what 'level' you choose -
    and how much you pay?
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Considering this for the GTI...
    2022 X3 M40i
    tifighter - I'm glad you are happy with the Accord. I've been seeing quite a few Accord Sports around lately and the price is very inviting to say the least. I dig all the superficial stuff that to me makes the Accord Sport look cool (dual exhaust, 18" wheels, rear lip spoiler).

I like my sunroof, but could live without one. There is really nothing more disappointing then a crummy stock stereo though. I do like heated leather seats and the Honda lane watch technology seems fantastic.

decisions, decisions...

My next punch is most likely 12 months away.

Maybe they'll come out with an EX Sport:)

Extended warranties for CCBA members? Seems like a bad idea....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I dig all the superficial stuff that to me makes the Accord Sport look cool (dual exhaust, 18" wheels, rear lip spoiler).

I agree. I'm thinking about adding a set of Sport wheels...

The wheels are one thing, then there's the lip spoiler, the dual exhausts, the 18" tires that go with the Sport Wheels, & is the rear bumper different to accommodate the dual exhausts?

I hear you - and for me, it depends partly on how it
    is structured. I have had 2 extended wty plans
    in the recent past and each refunded a prorated
    amount, based on the unused portion.
    - Ray
    We shall see.....
    2022 X3 M40i
    edited August 2013
    That's one of my thoughts. On the other hand, VW's warranty will give you a prorated refund if you decide to cancel it/sell the car, so it's not like you've flushed thousands of dollars down the drain if the CCBA instinct kicks in. And, not paying for every little thing that breaks provides one less excuse to get rid of the car. :P
    What is the retail price for a 7/70k bumper to bumper zero deductible? My Prius was $651 --- dealer initially asked 2700.
    I have no idea what the retail price is. There is a dealer on the TDI forums that sells them for a little over cost. On a Jetta TDI, it would be $1900 for 7 years/100k or $1413 for 7 years/70k (both with $100 per visit deductible), if you purchase it with less than 10,000 miles on the odometer. I don't have pricing for the GLI yet.

I'm not shocked at all by the low cost on the Prius warranty. Toyota/Honda both seem to offer extended warranties that are very inexpensive compared to the European brands... I'm guessing VW's prices are higher because you're much more likely to use the warranty.
    Pretty steep price --- almost 2K in repairs before you break even. The power train is covered for 5/50 --- If it gives you peace of mind, It may be worth it. I've had lots of extended warranties on some pretty unreliable vehicles (88 Chevy Astro) and never needed one repair on any of them. If you want a reliable car , just get the warranty. That's been my experience.
    Thanks, Corvette!

(I assume you updated the shared doc)

As of 8/15/13:

2013 Punch List (total 16):
    01/08/13 breld 2011 BMW 335xi 27K
    01/11/13 steine13 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LT (lease)
    01/15/13 breld 2010 BMW 328xi wagon 21K
    01/18/13 qbrozen 2013 Nissan Leaf (lease)
    01/19/13 anon 2013 Toyota Sienna (lease)
    02/13/13 corvette 2013 VW Jetta GLI
    02/16/13 fezo 2004 Mazda6 wagon 77k
    02/17/13 fintail 2013 Mercedes E350 Bluetec (lease)
    03/22/13 js06gv 2013 Ford F150 King Ranch 2WD
    04/04/13 kyfdx 2011 BMW X3
    04/09/13 au1994 2013 BMW 335i (lease)
    05/01/13 abacomike 2014 MB E350 Sport
    05/27/13 breld 2013 Hyundai Veloster
    05/29/13 qbrozen 2013 Ford Mustang GT
    07/31/13 rayainsw 2013 VW GTI
    08/12/13 tifighter 2013 Honda Accord EX-L

Punch guesses for 2013:
    Michaell 15-17
    Xwesx 22
    Stickguy 25
    abacomike 25
    Qbrozen 28
    Au1994 30
    Anon 31
    gimmestdtranny 33
    Tifighter 34
    Jpp5862 35
    Steve 36
    Roadburner 37
    Nyccarguy 38
    Rayainsw 39
    Ateixeira 40
    sandman 43
    Kyfdx 45

I'm still in the running so long as only 1 more car is purchased between now and the end of the year.
    There is really nothing more disappointing then a crummy stock stereo though.

Smart Key and moon/sun roof are worth about $0.01 to me. However, I agree, the lousy stereo is a turn off. HOwever, it should be easy to upgrade the sound system in the aftermarket, but only they didn't puposely make it so hard with such an integrated dash.
    edited August 2013
    'The power train is covered for 5/50'
    The VW GTI powertrain wty is 5 years \ 60,000 miles.
    - Ray
    More concerned about stuff like the A/C components, etc. past 36,000...
    [ edit ] and a lot of electronic 'thingys'
    2022 X3 M40i
    Tomorrow at 8:30 I take the CX-7 down to the local Discount Tire to have them install a set of Yokohama YK-580's.

After much thought and research, I decided against the Ecopias and the Scorpion Verdes, as the silicone content of the tires (used to improve gas mileage) also make them less capable in bad weather. I asked the wife about it and her comment was "I'd rather be safe in the snow than save 6 cents on gas".

A wise woman I married.

Discount is quoting $969.05 with all taxes and fees, and there is a $60 gift card rebate available, so the net cost is closer to $900.

I got just over 37K on the OEM Bridgestone Duelers, which is about 5K more than expected. It's been almost 2.5 years since we bought the car, so it's probably time.
    In tires, I always vote for performance over longevity..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2013
    I used to go for high tread wear and I was always disappointed. I go for "performance" now too (and since I wind up trashing so many tires, I wasn't coming out ahead buying high tread wear ones anyway).

It's really nice being on the road and not getting anxious if we hit a rainstorm. Been enjoying the "premium" (for me, lol) wipers currently installed too.
    edited August 2013
    Me, too. I'm content to eat up tires in order to gain the control I want.

Ultimately, there is nothing holding you to the road but those 4 little patches where the rubber meets the asphalt.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I'm in the exact same boat as you, except a shorter time frame. The lease on my G37x is up in January. While I'm happy with the car, given the intro of the Q50 and the continuation of the G37 as an entry model it makes no financial sense to buy out this car. My buyout (~$32k) is just below the entry price for the G going forward.

The new Q50 is attractive but based on the delayed launch and the reported problems with the technology so far I'm not wowed. The new Lexus IS is very attractive and seems to get great reviews, but it gets pricey quickly with the IS350. The 250 is adequate, but when I can get more power out of a V6 Accord/Camry it loses appeal.

Lots to figure out in the next 5 months....
    I agree. I also replace them well before they reach 2/32" of tread. Most tires begin to feel dodgy in the rain by the time they hit 4/32".

(The OE tires on my Pontiac G6 felt dodgy in the rain even when they were new. I'm glad I didn't have that car long enough to experience them when they began to wear!)
    I need sure-footedness in the MINI Cooper. Being such a buckboard, with stiff suspension, on rougher roads it doesn't always go where you point it, so being able to put it back on track quickly is quite important to me.