Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    Yes, that's ridiculous. Playing the radio at low volume for 25 minutes should not drain your battery.
  • Options
    worrworr Member Posts: 45
    Did your battery recharge itself...or did you have to jump it?

BTW...how does your 5.3 DOD do for you on the highway? Most report 24 MPG on a good day.
  • Options
    jz68jz68 Member Posts: 61
    I had to call for a jump. Pretty embarrassing on a vehicle only 3 months old. This is actually my second drained battery problem. In February my car wouldn't start after sitting for about 16 hours. No idea what the problem is but the battery tests 100% good.

I don't do a lot of highway driving, but the few times I've been on one my instant mpg reading is around 24 mpg cruising at about 70mph.
  • Options
    When you go in for you next oil change ask about it...something else might be pulling amps.

How do you do for MPG just in general? I was going to purchase one of these SS Impalas, but just recently begged off it because of this.

Now I'm looking at the 3LT 3.9 or an Altima 3.5 at 250 HP and gets 29 MPG.
  • Options
    99% of my driving is in the city, I like to gun the engine at every chance and I almost always use the remote start. My mileage is a mind blowing 14mpg. :)
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Mileage 14 mpg?. Not using the remote start your numbers might improve a little. With gas over $3.00 a gallon and going to go higher that doesn't seem very encouraging. I am very disappointed with the numbers that Chevy indicates about this SS. I haven;t seen a report yet that comes close to the the 5.7 seconds chevy says this car will do 0-60. Most times are in the low to mid 6 second range.
  • Options
    poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    You should be able to play the radio all day long and still be able to start the car and drive away.
  • Options
    ivanadrivealotivanadrivealot Member Posts: 35
    jz68, just so you know, in mpg the 3.9L isn't showing much improvement over the V8, at least not for me. Perhaps just a few mpg better (and I mean only just a few) on the highway. City seems much better from what I'm hearing here.

Perhaps the real difference is that the 3.9L takes lower grade gas and still performs well -- doesn't need premium. So it will save you a few bucks each time at fill-up, and overall, the 3.9L models cost less than the SS in purchase price. But you give up that nice growl and probably a second or so of 0-60 acceleraton.

Now, remember, this isn't apples-to-apples since the 3.9L lacks DOD this year. Next year, it may be a different story.

Now, while I've been somewhat disappointed with the 3.9L's gas mileage, I'd rather have that as a known quantity than buy the first year of a new DOD system. Earlier DOD's had lots of problems as I understand it. It's still far too soon to see how the SS' DOD will fare after 50,000, 100,000, 150,000 miles, etc.

With that said, I hope GM is able to produce a durable DOD as it should help keep them competitive, at least on mpg while providing good horsepower when needed.

Now one would think Chevy would have a great combination mating a 242-hp 3.9L with DOD and a 5-6 speed transmission. That should push highway mpg's well over 30.
  • Options
    I don't see the justification of this DOD. First as I understand it only works at mid cruising speed. That would be less then 10% of my driving. Secondly, DOD isn't free. It must cost a few hundred $$ to build the feature into the engine. How many years would you have to drive at cruising speed to recoup your money or break even. So whats the advantage? What happens over time to the pistons, plugs, plug wires, cylinders that aren't firing when DOD engages, do they carbon up and have less wear then the other cylinders, pistons and plugs? Its a non issue for me. Proper gearing, and light weight material of the vehicle are the only true way to get better MPG without sacrificing performance not paying $$ for a device to do it. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    Initially, I was a little disappointed with the mileage on my 3.9 Impala. I now have about 2500 miles on it and the mileage continues to improve. (So is the straight line performance) Most of my driving is suburban highways and streets, in relatively heavy traffic. When I first got the car it was getting only around 17.5 mpg, but I'm now up to 19+ mpg. This is with an occasional romp from the stoplight, just for kicks!! My wife and I took a short trip from Milwaukee to Chicago a couple of weeks ago. I filled up to the "brim" before we left, jumped immediately on the freeway, where we drove through several toll booths. The highway mileage to our destination was constantly in the 30 to 32 mpg range according to the computer. (Using manual mileage checks, I find that the computer's mileage is actually about 1/2 mpg lower than the actual.) We took a side trip to Northbrook, got lost in extreme stop and go traffic, and bucked a strong headwind on our return trip and still averaged just under 27 mpg by manual check. I'm very satisfied with those numbers!
  • Options
    quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Just for the record...

The 5.3L doesn't require high octane (91+) but it is recommended for maximum power. I have ran mine on both premium and regular and have noticed no difference in engine run quality. I have yet to performance test but my "seat of my pants" opinion is that the higher octane does increase power enough to warrant the average $3.00 extra per tank.

As for mileage between the 3.9L and 5.3L, you will see the biggest difference in stop and go driving where there is more idling. Highway EPA is one mpg different in favor of the 5.3L but that's under ideal conditions which nobody is likely to duplicate. In order to achieve the EPA numbers, I'm thinking flat terrain at 65 mph may get you close to the advertised numbers.

We happen to have all three engines in our family. I own the SS with the 5.3L, my sister owns a 3LT with the 3.9L, and her son owns a 1LT with the 3.5L. My sister and I have tracked our mileage from day 1 and she's averaging about .5 mpg higher in mixed driving; 18.5 vs. 18 mpg.

Oviously mileage will take a hit with remote starting, especially if it's allowed to idle for any length of time but it's a personal choice. Sure is nice to get into an air conditioned car after walking across a hot parking lot. :)

As for the drained batteries, there is obviously a gremlin hidden in some or all Impalas that has been difficult to find. My guess is some programming anomaly that those who've had the problem are stumbling upon. The majority of our Impalas have OnStar and I would recommend reporting the problem through the OnStar network to help ensure it's getting attention at the manufacturer's level.

While there have been some minor disappointments with my Impala SS, I have to say that overall I really enjoy it. Sure, it's styling is a bit bland, it doesn't manage the advertised EPA numbers, and in my case, there are two minor squeaks. In the short period I have owned it (4 mos), I remembered that my mileage with my previous '02 Monte Carlo SS never achieved it's advertised mileage either. Both are due to my heavy foot during interstate travel. I achieved 25 mpg and occasionally 26 mpg with that car and it was rated at 29 mpg. Three or four mpg from my Impala SS' rated mileage is exactly what I'm getting...24 mpg. But, I have 50% more power in this car. Not a bad tradeoff in my opinion. So, my advice would be to acknowledge the issues your car may have but try to maintain a positive outlook. If you decide that your car's a lemon based on an isolated problem, you may as well get rid of it now because you'll never notice the great things about it...only it's next problem.
  • Options
    Charts2,
    You may be surprised by how often DOD engages. My daily commute is on a state highway with several side streets feeding into it. As a result, depending on the time of day, I can drive at a steady 60 mph or stop and go. But, as long as I'm not rabbit starting every time the traffic begins to flow, DOD kicks in as soon as I achieve the "current" cruising speed. Also, since I can select to watch when DOD engages through my instrument cluster (IC), I have learned how to drive in a way that maximizes its use. As a result, my mileage average has steadily increased. Unfortunately, I can't be sure how much of that is due normal break-in vs. my new driving habits.

As for your concerns over uneven wear, that's a non-issue. It's not the same four cylinders being cut off. Rather, it's a cyclic system where, if I understand it corrcetly, each cylinder skips every other combustion stroke. There is no carbon buildup or other issues because no fuel is injected during the "off" stroke.

I think this is a modern adaptation of technology that was originally introduced in some Cadillacs about 10 years ago. Back then, it was a fail safe way to "limp" your way to a service center if you happened to lose your coolant system due to accident or failure. The engine would manage to run without coolant by skipping every other firing stroke and cycling cooler outside air through the engine for cooling.

While lighter weight materials and improved gearing will also increase efficiency, the R&D for a transmission with more gears is a much larger expense than reprogramming the existing computer that manages engine operation. I'm not totally convinced that the five and six speed transmissions are as cost effective as many assume. I agree it's where the industry is headed but more gears adds more complexity and likely more weight. I don't fault GM for not rushing to get five and six speed transmissions in their cars. I drove a six speed 500 while I was shopping and it felt and sounded like a manually shifted transmission only without my input. I also drove a Ford with a Constant Velocity Transmission (CVT) which doesn't actually shift gears but constantly changes the ratio to keep the engine at peak efficiency or performance (depending on the situation). The GM transmissions seem to be simulating the CVT technology by allowing the torque converter to continually adjust during moderate acceleration. My guess is they were able to adapt tried and true technology and skip the more expensive first generation of the NEXT technological step.

Everyone has such angst over new model lines yet they insist on the newest technology. I love new technology as well. Strangely, the amount of technology packed into the Impala was a major deciding factor in my choice over the Dodge Charger. That said, I have learned not to always insist on cutting edge technology since there is a huge price/reliability premium to be paid.

But...that's just my humble opinion. :)
  • Options
    enkaenka Member Posts: 35
    Which one do you guys like the best? Impala or Sonata
    My choice is sonata better looks and quality.
  • Options
    "As for the drained batteries, there is obviously a gremlin hidden in some or all Impalas that has been difficult to find"

Have you heard of other people having this problem? I haven't seen any other posts about the issues I'm having.
  • Options
    steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    The Sonata looks like nothing but a bland asian whateveritis.
    The Impala is a good looking car. Constantly getting comments about it.
  • Options
    Run a search on this forum and you'll find a couple other instances. Message 1126 is one of them. I don't believe anyone has figured out why it happens.
  • Options
    Both are bland. Bland, bland, bland. No one other than you will look at either one. So buy whichever one you want. Buy whichever one looks like you can like it more. The Chevy is quite a bit bigger outside, but offers no more interior room. Although you may find it less bland than the Hyundai.

Either one may satisfy your needs and wants...if a bland sedan is what you want. The differences are minor, really. The Hyundai has a longer warranty.
  • Options
    LOL post 1126 is about my car. I went out to start it one morning this past winter to find the battery dead. Never did figure that one out either.
  • Options
    Oops...sorry. I didn't look at the name. So far, so good with my SS. Hopefully a fix will come along soon for our little annoyances.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Personally I am quite excited about the GM adding DOD to the 3.9L, an extra couple of MPG will be nice. I really hoped for the new 6-speed also for 07 but it looks like we will have to wait 1 more year.
  • Options
    A couple mpg? Maybe at optimum cruising speed. There is no benefit at idle, acceleration or hill climbing. If you break even after 3 or 4 years whats the advantage? When I first heard of DOD I thought it was going to be the silver bullit that will pay for itself over and over. Its not the case. My understanding is that GMs DOD offers up to 12% more fuel efficiency in a small window of driving conditions. Up to 12%! Chrysler indicates their DOD offers up to 20% improvement. Again you pay $$ upfront initially for this built in DOD technology, for most drivers it will take years of driving to break even or maybe come out ahead $100 over the initial cost when DOD is working in that small window of activation. On a $27,000 car is it worth the effort to save maybe $100 over a few years hoping that you don't have to replace this device again at several hundred dollars when your warranty is up. Doesn't make much sense. If DOD performed 25% improvement over a variable of driving conditions it would probably be worth the effort. Were a long way from that!
  • Options
    If Chevy doesn't offer a 6 speed in their 6 cylinder Impalas for 2007, I doubt they will spend money to put it into the 2008 which could be the last year of the current Impala platform. For 2007 Chevy has dropped a few current colors and adding a few new ones. Delete: Superior Blue, Sport Red, Glacier Blue. Add: Precision Red, Imperial Blue, Bordeaux Red, Red Jewel. Chevy is now focused on their future Zeta Impala. There talking RWD or AWD, larger, and offering high performance to compete with the very successful Chrysler line of 300s and Chargers. Things might finally get exciting!
  • Options
    Very few changes on the 2007 Impalas. The current Techno metallic instrument/door panel that was optional on the 2006 LTZ has been dropped. Woodgrain only now for 2007 LTZ. Woodgrain applique is now an option on the 2007 Impala SS. It looks like the Monte Carlo is dying a slow death. It appears that the 3.9 V6 has been dropped for 2007. Only the 3.5 and 5.3 V8 will be available.
  • Options
    dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Just came back from the drive to Ft. Worth (386 miles). The 3.5 performed flawlessly. Passing was no problem -just kick it down and go past. You are doing 80+ when you get past the car. Got 31.7 average MPG on the way over and 29 on the way back because of a headwind. There is no necessity to get a 3.9 for normal driving. The only drawback of the 3.5 was cruise control dropping into 3rd on steep hills. I guess if I lived in the mountains a 3.9 might be better for passing on steep hills.
  • Options
    The weird thing is that both times I've had the battery drain there was plenty of juice to keep the lights and displays working. Also the CD player would keep making noises like the disc changer was flipping between cd's. The battery has tested as holding a full charge so I'm stumped.

:lemon:
  • Options
    impish06impish06 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all!
    Just added a 2006 Sport Red LTZ to my stable.
    So far since my other car is race prepped Aerio, the Impala is a dream.
    250 miles in the first week and so far milage is about 25+ on highway and 15 around town.
    Will this improve a bit once the engine loosens up?
    Other than that just a perfect 3 kids 2 adults car. All the features are spot on, sunroof is a bit noisey when open at highway speed but that is my only nit pick for now.
    I love the way the Impala looks and wanted to be Pro American in these times of trouble for GM. Mostly the car will sit wait for my mom who is 70+ to take it on short trips. The 3.9 has tons of power and despite being thirsty I am not ashamed. Hell even the new Civic Si only get 19mpg in NORMAL driving. Can't wait for the EPA to revise the ratings to expose the Japanese abuse of the system. Never seen a Japanese 4 get ANY WHERE near the sticker unless you let it run at 40mph on cruise :D
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    Sounds like the low voltage problem. Is there a broken post connection at the battery? Is the cable good? Is there a cell shorting out occasionally. Could be ground problems inside the car.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Chevy indicates the 3.5 engine will give 21 city, 31 highway. The SS is suppose to give 18 city 28 highway. Chevy says the SS will accelerate from 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. I have not seen those numbers achieved yet. I drive 18,000 miles (29,000 KM) a year. Most of my driving is city driving. I figure cruising speed where the DOD would activate would be about 10% of my driving at most. On the highway you have on/off ramps, hills, sometimes stop and go if busy. If 1,800 miles per year was with the DOD engaged and I got 28 mpg. I would burn 64 gallons of fuel while the DOD was activated. Chevy says you can get up to 12% improvement with DOD activated. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt the whole 12%. If there was no DOD driving 1,800 miles at optimum cruising speed 25 mpg. Thats 72 gallons of gas used. Savings in 1 year 8 gallons of gas maximum with DOD. $3.00 a gallon savings $24.00 for the year or 6 cents a day. WOW! Now subtract the cost of the DOD technology built in. DOD is not free, I am sure it is a few hundred $ added cost. Even if you doubled the 1,800 miles to 3,600 your savings at MOST would be $48.00 a year. Will someone please explain how DOD saves them $$$? If DOD technology cost $250.00 it would take me 10 years in an Impala SS or 180,000 miles of average driving just to break even providing the DOD doesn't have to be repaired or replaced. Its another gimmick. Do the math for your own car.
  • Options
    jz68, the 3.9 isn't getting it's numbers either?

I really want to buy an Impala.

My critera have been the following:

Leg room for a tall driver, power, and economy in that order. I'm 6' 4". I wanted high twenties for MPG on the highway...but good power response and room enough to straighten my legs.

My first attraction was the Impala SS. But when the EPA number started to look like a "bait and switch" routine I becamse suspecious of everything about the impala. Used SSs are on the market for 23k right now....and I think because of this.

But the only real catched seemed to be the EPA numbers since the car was still a very good value otherwise. So I turned to the 3.9 in the LTZ and LT3 packages. But now it looks like the same story on the EPA numbers. The promise of DOD (AFM) for the 3.9 next year looks only to be a proimse of a few MPG and new technology that might not be ready for prime time.

A friend suggested the Nissan Altima 3.5SE. Even more leg room, terrific power, and EPA numbers that are very real. 30 MPG on the highway. Premium fuel recommended but not demanded. The 3.9 has excellent power too, but it isn't as smooth. Also the dash does touch my knee at one point on the Impala. Altima is less expensive as a midsize.

I'll still keep the Impala LT3 in the comparisons, but it isn't comparing well with these reports. I like the space in the rest of the Impala (it is a full size) and the ability to add leather, bose, etc without adding a sun roof such as in the Altima. I'm too tall for a sun roof in either car.
  • Options
    Thanks for the post.

So basically the 3.9 is only mariginally better than the 5.3? Maybe city driving (when you have to idle more) even better.

My daily commute would be more in between driving...30 MPH with stop signs and few lights. Then more weekend cruises on the highway on most weekends.

I've driven several times in the SS. My tests gave me 23-24 all on the DIC for highway even at 75 MPH. I hear the same from owners...new and old engines.

In town, however, I was finding it around 19 MPG. So the SS might be OK in thees conditions. Does that make sense?

Anyhow, what I'm hearing you say is the SS isn't that bad when compared to the 3.9....except maybe if you sit at idle more often. The 5.3 idles as a V8.
  • Options
    raym0016raym0016 Member Posts: 7
    I get about 22mpg in a lot of mixed driving but mostly city in my 3.9 LTZ. I can get MUCH better than that on the freeway. This is just fine for me because my point of reference was a 2003 trailblazer that I couldn't get better than 15mpg in!
  • Options
    Charts2,
    You sure do have heartburn for DOD. All I can say is don't buy it if you don't like it. I'm very happy with my car and the DOD. Some points I'll make in this discussion:

1st) I have not seen any itemized charge for DOD. As I stated in an earlier post, I'm fairly certain it's just a programming change for the engine computer, no physical hardware. At most, the added cost would be for fine tuning the engine programming which I imagine gets a lot of attention, DOD or not.

2nd) DOD engages more often then you're thinking. I drive my car daily and whenever I reach a cruising speed, be it 20 mph all the way to 70 mph, as I ease up the throttle, DOD engages. In good traffic, I accelerate for 10-15 seconds and then cruise for the next 5-10 minutes. So, DOD is engaged for the majority of my commute (assuming traffic is actually moving).

3rd) There is a cost benefit whenever any technology reduces fuel consumption (not necessarily cost-effective). I disagree with your assumption that DOD actually adds cost to the vehicle; at least to dollar amount you contend. If fuel use is reduced, overal consumption drops, demand drops, (hopefully) prices then drop.
  • Options
    If anyone who works for a dealer could tell me if there is any information floating around about battery drain it would be greatly appreciated. :confuse:
  • Options
    The 3.9 V6 that will go into the 2007 Impala will be rated at 233 hp. A drop of 9 hp from 2006.
  • Options
    Worr,
    For strictly mileage, the 3.9L is probably the better choice even though the EPA only rates it at 27 mpg highway(compared to the 5.3L at 28 mpg highway). If economy is your #1 concern, obviously the 3.5L is the best choice.
    In my case, economy is very important but I have always loved the sound of a V-8 engine. I managed to get my first one when I bought a '94 Mercury Cougar (it also had rear-wheel drive, which I prefer). Unfortunately, I was involved in an accident and the car was totaled out by the insurance. In 2002, there was no V-8 or RWD vehicles out there (in my price range) but I found the 02 Monte Carlo SS which, although it only had V-6 and FWD, was great in all other aspects. The amount of technology Chevy packed into that car, along with it's great fuel mileage, made it an easy decision. Now, Chevy is putting extremely powerful V-8s in the same car. Fuel economy takes a small hit but the driving pleasure is much improved. So, I'm paying a small premium (average 1-2 mpg both in highway and city driving) to drive a car that makes me grin every time I pull away from a stop. I consider that a bargain. :)

If you test drive the SS and love the sound of the engine, it may be the right choice for you. If that isn't important (as was the case with my sister), the 3.9L still offers excellent performance and a little better economy.

I've mentioned before in this forum that we currently have three '06 Impalas in our family; my SS/5.3L, sister's 3LT/3.9L, and nephew's 1LT/3.5L. We're going on four months and all of us have no serious complaints.
  • Options
    steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    I almost find theres too much legroom in the Impala, I cant imagine that will be a problem.
    As for the Altima, Nissan's suck. Horrible reliability and their service is awful. My mothers friends Altima has 7 recalls and she said the service is so bad she is badmouthing Nissan to everyone she knows.
    If you're going to go Japanese go with Mazda. Good, sporty cars.
  • Options
    Never said anything about not likeing the car. However everytime any technology is added their is a cost. Do the math on your own car and if your saving hundreds of $$ a year with DOD your ahead, but I just don't see it. My opinion is as valid as yours.
  • Options
    quiet pro wrote:

"If you test drive the SS and love the sound of the engine, it may be the right choice for you. If that isn't important (as was the case with my sister), the 3.9L still offers excellent performance and a little better economy."

Thanks, quietpro.

Engine sound ranks low on priorities. They are, again, leg room, power and economy. The Impala SS meets the first two squarely. It sounds like you gain only a little MPG with the 3.9 and but gain more power with the 5.3 so the trade off isn't a fair comparison.

Also, it was my hope the 5.3 would retain some value because it wouldn't be sold into fleets. There are plenty of LT3s in the rental market.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Bummer on the HP drop for 2007 but hopefully the DOD will yield over 30 on the highway.
  • Options
    Worr,
    Good point on resale. I like to think you're correct; that would bode well for me. Personally, I'd rather have a top of the line Chevy than a stripped version of some upper level brand.
    There have been some folks who mention the limited rear seat room but that only becomes a big issue with tall folks in the front seat. In my case, you don't want to sit behind me but my friends (average 5'10" height) have no issues, front or back.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “As I stated in an earlier post, I'm fairly certain it's just a programming change for the engine computer, no physical hardware. At most, the added cost would be for fine tuning the engine programming which I imagine gets a lot of attention, DOD or not.” - quietpro

From GM:
    “The key to DOD’s efficiency and virtually imperceptible operation is a set of special two-stage hydraulic valve lifters, which allows the lifters of deactivated cylinders to operate without actuating the valves. These lifters, used only on the cylinders which are deactivated, have inner and outer bodies which normally operate as a single unit. When the engine controller determines cylinder deactivation conditions are optimal, it activates solenoids in the engine lifter valley which direct high-pressure oil to the switching lifters. This oil pressure activates a release pin inside the lifter which allows the outer body of the lifter to move independently of the inner body. With the pin is released, the outer lifter body moves in conjunction with camshaft actuation, but the inner body does not move, thus holding the pushrod in place. This prevents the pushrod from actuating the valve, thereby halting the combustion process. “

- Ray
    12,500+ miles on my 5.3L V8 (GP GXP) & no issues with DoD . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Additional information re: DOD Higher capacity oil Pump and larger coils on the coil near the ignition are needed for DOD. New Block casting has to be redesigned for oil galleries to meet oil requirements for DOD. Transmission has to have its own controller due to the demands of DOD puts on the ECM. DOD on the 3.9 V6 drops the left bank of cylinders when in DOD mode. So with the 3.9 more wear will be on the right side cylinder bank. The loss of 9 hp was because of the changes that DOD incorporates.
  • Options
    My view of DoD:

Given:
    The consumer & the federal government (CAFE) are demanding higher fuel mileage and customers also increasingly desire better acceleration \ performance. With additional convenience items (power seats, etc) that add weight to vehicles.

These goals are largely in conflict.

In order to facilitate development & sale of such W Body variants as the SS and GP GXP with good acceleration (low 14s in the Quarter Mile at 100-ish = ‘good’ in my book) and also, still meeting the CAFÉ requirements means developing technology that allows the highest possible EPA fuel mileage numbers. Or at least this is highly desirable.

12% increase in steady state MPG (say 30 vs 26 or 27) at (EPA test speeds = still max. 60 mph!) cruise likely allows a higher posted EPA highway & average MPG number and (with GXPs now accounting for a rather high proportion of GP sales and likely SS also a significant portion of Impala sales) allows improved CAFÉ numbers.

So – I was able to purchase (at a relative bargain price, IMHO) a good accelerating, V8 equipped sedan capable of at least ‘decent’ fuel mileage.
    - Ray
    Happy with my DoD equipped 5.3L V8 in most every way . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    that sucks. I thought they were gonna be randomly shut off, so that the wear and tear is proportional for each cyllinder. That really sucks, people are gonna windup having 1/2 the engine be older and in worse shape than the other half!

Has anone heard the news about GM switching to 3 valve heads with its OHV engines? Its based on an old article in wikepedia. I can't find the article now, though.

Still, its a good thing GM is advancing engine technology.
  • Options
    The 5.3 V8 has random shut off only.
  • Options
    In what way is this ‘random’?

“Displacement on Demand (DoD) System Description
    To provide maximum fuel economy under light load driving conditions, the engine control module (ECM) will command the displacement on demand (DoD) system to deactivate engine cylinders 1 and 7 on the left bank, and cylinders 4 and 6 on the right bank, switching to a V4 mode. The engine will operate on 8 cylinders, or V8 mode, during engine starting, engine idling, and medium to heavy throttle applications.”

- Ray
    Confused . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Good DOD info, folks. I looked for some technical info on how DOD works a while back but didn't devote much time to it. Based on what all of you have provided, I can see a disparity on wear between active and dormant cylinders but I don't believe it will become a problem. I will assume that wear on the pistons, rings, cylinder walls will remain consistent unless combustion adds to friction. The only real change is the lifters and pushrods that will not be active and a lighter load on the cam lobes involved. Since DOD is only active under light load, I'm betting the difference in wear is negligible. Of course, I'm not an expert but it wouldn't make sense for GM to deploy a new technology without being sure it wouldn't cause issues down the road. A batch of lemons would almost surely cripple them. Anyone remember the aluminum Vega engines? Is it any wonder it took over 20 yrs for GM to feel comfortable building engines out of aluminum again? :)
  • Options
    Your right it isn't random. So on the 5.3 V8, over time cylinders # 2,3,5,8 will have more wear and tear, then 1,4,6,7 as how I read it.
  • Options
    (Off topic) You said anyone remember the aluminum Vega engines?. I bought a brand new Vega GT in 1973. Went through 4 engine blocks in 3 years, and finally the car rusted out. GM cut corners by not putting sleeves in the cylinder walls but used some kind of silicone or lubricant that broke down after about 10,000 miles and you burned oil by the barrels. GM made a lot of mistakes in the 70s through the 90s by cutting corners
  • Options
    Wow...you really DO remember the Vega. ;) But, to be fair, I think everything rusted out back then if you lived anywhere near snow. I don't remember seeing any make survive winter salting until the K car came along. Iacocca deserves a lot of credit for durability of today's cars. Too bad THEY stopped thinking after coming up with the K. :P