Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Jetta TDI

Comments

• Options
    dieselfitter1dieselfitter1 Member Posts: 42
    :D Up here in canada,VW is still supplying TDI,s sold as 06 models.Special run for canada,I am told.Diesels make up for 50% of dealer sales in canada. I had to laugh a while ago,gasoline went up to $1.20/litre and diesel stayed at 80cents/litre! It is going to be interesting when the bluetecs arrive next year.137horsepower&240ft/lbs of torque at 1900RPM! My 02 consistently delivers over 60MPG on the highway.Thats about 50MPG,on a us gallon.
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    you are welcome darrelb. one other thing, i might have misunderstood what transmission type you have. if it's a real slushbox instead of DSG, that's probably gonna cost some mpg too. best wishes...
  • Options
    hopeful99hopeful99 Member Posts: 20
    IS IT OK TO USE A KN AIR FILTER? OR SHOULD I STAY WITH THE FACTORY ONE.
  • Options
    NO - hopeful99 it is not ok to use a K&N or any oiled filter in a VW TDI. It can destroy the MAF (mass airflow sensor) .
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    To add, stay with the stock air filter/air box ! It filters better, already included in the price cost at 40/50k is cheaper, and the design lets more than enough air into the intake portion. Resist the urge to check out (crack it open, thus increasing the chances of seal NOT reseating) the filter until you change it out at 40-50k.
  • Options
    what additive will bost the octane of diesel
  • Options
    will take your advise. stay with factory af
  • Options
    The closest operational reality for #2 diesel is cetane rating, Power Service or Primrose 405. These are examples, There are many more Cetane boosters, etc.

http://www.powerservice.com/
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    If you can get BP/ARCO ULSD in your area, it has a real high Cetane rating right out of the pump. I ran it exclusively in my Passat TDI. Very good fuel and clean.
  • Options
    diesel dudes & dames: change those TDI fuel filters - perhaps more often than the recommended 20k interval. mine got too dirty/blocked after just 18k miles, at 28k, engine was stumbling under big load or rpm - it could barely run smoothly at warp 1. a tankful of old/unclean 500ppm fuel at an out of the way gas station in NC was just too much for the dilithium crystals to handle.
  • Options
    daleho1daleho1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all, I'm a proud owner of a 2006 (19500 miles) Jetta it has the 6 speed auto with sport and manual shift, DSG I think its called. I'm getting 43 mpg actual. I'm very happy with the car except for one thing, there is a 2 to 3 second lag when I apply the accelerator from a dead stop. it works fine when its moving, It has good response when passing. can any one point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Dale
  • Options
    mine is an 06 jetta 5-spd, with same mpg as yours. it is quite slow off the line unless i slip the clutch and spin up the rpm/turbo before releasing clutch. I suppose that's not possible with DSG. I recommend you ask the dealer for their opinion - they can compare the off-the-line performance with a new 06 jetta on their lot. These cars are not quick off the line - that much is normal.
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Welcome to the world of turbocharged engine. Until the turbo kicks in, the engine has very little power to give you.

In return, a turbocharger gives you significant power from a very small engine.

Just think how the early NON-turbocharged VW diesel engines were!
  • Options
    sean9sean9 Member Posts: 82
    I have the 2006 as wee with the DSG trans. I get about the 45 mpg actual. When you put the accelerator down from a dead stop it doesn't take off like a V6 Honda Accord that is for sure, It takes a second for the Turbo to wind up and the torque to deliver, now 3 seconds is a long time are you sure it is that long, count 1 one thousand etc. I notice a lag mainly after the car has sat overnight and go to put the car in reverse out the garage, it can lag and then really jolt into reverse. Best way to remedy this was put the brake on then reverse and give it a second before hitting the accelerator.
    daleho1 if it really is taking 3 full seconds before anything happens at all i would have it looked at. Does it seem like it is out of gear? Good luck with VW service though, from my experiences it has been a Freaking Joke dealing with dealers. :mad:
  • Options
    Thanks for all your response's. I believe it is the turbo lag that I'm not used to. it does take a good long 2 seconds to kick in. Sean9 I tried the left foot braking and that made a big differance. I just have to learn where the sweat spot on the acceleratoir is, a little to much and it really takes off, too little and the guy be hind me is wondering what I'm waiting on. I am kicking around the idea of putting a smart box on it. the closest dealer to me is in Salt Lake City Utah, about 300 miles away, I haven't heard any thing bad about them yet so I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    I was not implying using your left foot on the brake at anytime. I was only indicating that while transferring into reverse to give it a good few seconds with your foot on the brake prior to going. I would not recommend doing a brake start with the DGS transmission.
    Also if you want to hear bad things about smart boxes, chips, special air intakes, the list goes on Mr. bpeebles will lead you in the right direction. My advice, leave the car factory if you want long lasting, reliable, efficient use from your TDI. ;)
  • Options
    Thanks, what is the correct way to ask Mr bpeebles his thoughts on smart boxs? (newbe what can I say!)
  • Options
    Can you tell me what is your definition of a "smart box"? Are you expecting such "smart box" to somhow remedy the inherent turbo-lag you are experiencing?

Are you suggesting the Volkswagen engineers left somthing out of the design and your TDI is "stupid" until a "smart box" is added to it? LOL ;)

I guess my point is... Just exactly what function are you expecting to add to your TDI with a "smart box"? (Better handling, shinier paint, smoother ride, increased MPG... etc)
  • Options
    My goal is to get the best MPG with out loosing HP and better yet increseing HP. The van aaken smart box (Parleys Diesel) is one I have looked at, claims to get 20 to 26 more HP and 26 to 33 fpt. KermaTDI advertises a ECU tuning, sounds like a more customised reprograming. I believe that VW is just like Cummings ar Cat, they set there pumps on the conservitive side to protect the motor from heavy footed drivers that don't understand shock load. those of us that do could turn the fuel pump up to get the extra HP with out hurting MPG or the motor/drive train.

This TDI is the first drive by wire diesel I have had so thats why I quistioned the acceleratoir lag thinking it might be in the electronics. if I understood correctly the 06 TDI has varibale pitch fins in the turbo to spin it up sooner and keep it from over spinning at the higher rpm thus no waste gate. correct me if I'm wrong
  • Options
    OK - it sounds as if you have some respect for the technology involved.

Unfortunatly, your 2006 uses a "pumpe duse" engine which has a seperate , cam-driven, injector pump for each of the 4 cylinders. Being all mechanical, there is very little that electronics can do to alter the mechanical settings.

The "Kerma" is a very well respected brand among VW TDI owners. I have never even heard of the "The van aaken smart box (Parleys Diesel)" for VW engines. There is also "RocketChip and "Upsolute" for TDI engines.

For the older (NON-pumpe-duse) TDI engines, the Kerma replacement injectors was arguable the best single power-improver available. At the same time, the MPG would not suffer (if you kept your foot out of it.)

In most cases, after applying any power-upgrade, the CLUTCH would suffer because the stock clutch could not handle the increased torque. It is possible to just "spin the clutch" by applying throttle.

You are correct that the VW TDI engines use a VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbocharger)
    Please read this webpage to get a better understanding about VNT operation. (Pay close attention to the LAST photo which shows the VNT in action!)
  • Options
    Thanks! that was great, I didn't realize the technologies was that old, which is a good thing. would you be concerned about the DSG tranny being able to handle the 20 or so more HP? I have read a few negative things about it.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I have never even heard of the "The van aaken smart box (Parleys Diesel)" for VW engines.

I considered a Van Aaken Smart Box (VASB) when I started my modding. It's a plug-n-play tuning box. It can easily be popped off for service trips, if you know what I mean.

I have a neighbor that bought a TDI around the same time I did, but his is an automatic. He went the VASB route and still runs it to this day (his only performance mod). It's very effective actually. I don't know about 20hp-26hp.......that sounds like sales fluffery. If you know anything about tuning these motors, 26hp would be a HUGE performance jump for just a simple box. I'd say it's more like 10hp, but that's still quite a nice kick in the pants for a diesel.

With my mods I may be approaching 20hp and have unscientifically run 0-60 in mid 8's. That's with some serious clutch dropping. But the performance gain at passing/highway speeds is where it's most useful and doesn't destroy the clutch!
  • Options
    I am currently running a 2002tdi with a smart box.Definateley 23 more hp,and another 45 ft/lbs of torque! Slight improvement in fuel economy. Also a K&N filter. Trick is not to over oil this filter,as this may gum up MAP sensor.The oil is red and spray it on and let it sit for 10 minutes,if any white spots appear,touch them up with more oil. To much oil and filters dont breathe properly.I was also told by the guy that sold it to me that they come OVER OILED from the factory.
  • Options
    Thanks sebring95, I allso have the auto trans.

off this subject, I rolled over 20000 miles today and about the same time the Exhaust system warning light came on (steady not flashing) I can't say for sure if it came on exactly 20000 but I do know it was with in 15 mile of it at most. would you know if VW might have it programed to come on for the 20000 mile service? could you recommend a good vag com?
  • Options
    Definateley 23 more hp,and another 45 ft/lbs of torque!

So you've got Dyno results to post right?

My biggest gripe with these oiled filters is they do a poor job of filtering. Perform an oil analysis using an OEM paper filter and then perform an oil analysis on an oiled filter. You'll find elevated foreign and wear material in your oil with the oiled fitler. I've performed the test using an Amsoil and K&N oiled filters. Yeah, the oiled filter results will still be within specs, but more wear is more wear. On an engine that has a long service life such as the TDI, I'll take the filter that filters the best.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I had a K&N installed on my Suburban. The noise level went up and the Mileage went down. NEVER again. Big waste of $394.
  • Options
    Ah,Yes! That EGR valve causes black soot to build up on the intake manifold. That is because the exhaust gas is cooled by a heat exchanger,using coolant. I had mine replaced(heat exchanger) under warranty,due to coolant leaking into intake. The dealer wanted me to pay for it,as they claimed that my vehicle did not have an extended used car warranty,due to a slip up by the sales man.Any way I had a little build up of soot in my air intake. I dont like this in a intake manifold because a large chunk could break off and fly into a cylinder. I disconnected the vacumn line going to the EGR so that the EGR valve wont open. After driving 25 miles the check engine lite came on,that was 12000 miles ago.I was also having troubles before this,with the EGR sticking open when the engine was off. It wont even start if its stuck open. I would have to bang on it,with my fist to unstick it,then it would start. I asked a heavy duty mechanic about this ,and he said"EGR valves dont belong on diesel engines of any kind,leave it disconnected"Other than that,this car is a blast to drive and very economical!!!!
  • Options
    Is anyone noticing different diesel at the pumps more and more? Up here in Alberta Diesel MAX(Husky/Mohawk stations) or Ultra Diesel (SHELL) seem to be appearing everywhere. This diesel supposedly has all kinds of additives in the fuel, claiming better mileage, less smoke, more power, and of course BETTER lubrication properties mainly for the fuel pump etc...All because of the new low sulphur as we all know. Question is their any TDI owners strictly using these fuels INSTEAD of using additives like Stanadyne themselves at every fill up. And are these pre additive fuels all the claim to be?
  • Options
    Not to mention the price of the additive diesel CAN be more than the regular diesel...Shell is usually 10cents/litre more all the time. Is it a money grab?
  • Options
    alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    We've had these super ULSD's in Europe for a while now, (much higher diesel car population ratio than USA being the reason, I guess). They do seem to do a good job and concensus seems to be to fill up on a one-tank-in-four ratio rather than every tank full. Adding any additives to ULSD is pretty much unheard of - and could well invalidate manufacturer's warranty, especially on the VW Group TDi's.

There are lots of very high mileage/nil problem TDi's about that have only ever been fed straight ULSD so the benefits of the the "improved" versions may not be terribly worthwhile, but one of the UK main motor mags recently stated they thought the 1-in-4 idea was worthwhile. You pays your money and takes your chance.

I've tried the 1-in-4 diet on my 1.9 TDi/130bhp and would be hard pressed to post any hard-fact improvements, but a friend with a 3.0 TDi/225bhp in an Audi A6 swears by it.

Each to his own, as they say. Sorry it's not more positive.
  • Options
    Not much happening down here in the states; just #2 diesel. I just happen to notice that slowly more and more stations are starting to implement diesel pumps. The real hub bub is the state by state implentation to ULSD. There of course remains the special blending just before winter starts to hit.
  • Options
    Adding any additives to ULSD is pretty much unheard of - and could well invalidate manufacturer's warranty, especially on the VW Group TDi's.
    This is actually very untrue, and in extreme cold climates like Canada, if you dont add a form of anti gel additive to your diesel you will not make it far out of the driveway!

Here are a couple of helpful links on Good fuel additives to use with your TDI's.
    http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/showfile.asp?id=3437
    www.stanadyne.com

Here is the tech bulliton which VW even recommends this additive with every fill, and will NOT void warrantee.
    http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/showfile.asp?id=717

quote: Mr.bpeebles I always add about 6oz of Power Service additive at every fillup
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    Note that the instructions for the ULSD formulated Stanadyne Performance Formula calls for only 4 ounces per tank.
  • Options
    Sean, Apologies, my comments were from a purely European perspective. :blush: Of course, we don't get the sort of low temps you guys get so I can see need for additives in that sense. As far as I'm aware, VW Group in Europe don't approve additive use.
  • Options
    I just had the first 100,000 mile timing belt change done by a regional guru. :) (of hopefully up to 10). It seemed to be all routine, sans the water pump which had developed a leak spot. It of course was part of the (100,000 miles) replacement cycle.

We did a visual inspection of the dismantled intake and while it was blackened, based on what he saw, he pronounced it good to go to another 100,000 miles. There was literally no build up. This was interesting in light of the fact that ULSD has only been used only for app (the past) 15% of the mileage. Most fillings have been the CA LSD (claimed to be 140 ppm). However I have used a fair amount of 49 state LSD (up to 500 ppm).

Of course the group of us discussed the PP520's and alligator chip options:)
  • Options
    Sounds good. Knowing how to drive the TDI properly may have more to do with a clean intake than the ULSD. I let a neighbor borrow my TDI for a couple weeks while their car was in the shop being repaired from an accident (didn't have rental coverage). He drives a lot around town and it never crossed my mind to give him driving instructions. I took the car out last week and hit the throttle hard to cross a busy highway and wow, it was a black cloud in my rear-view! My car never smokes so I have a feeling it built up some soot in just that short of a period. Imagine if you NEVER gave the car a workout? I can imagine a gunked up intake in 30-40k miles easy.
  • Options
    Yes, I think you have an important point there. I also watched the EXACT belt change on another vehicle EXACTLY like mine, before mine. (the same year, make and model, color and -1000 miles LESS) It did have (some) build up. He ran 5/10k OCI's (VW 505.00 spec oil) vs my Delvac One 5w40 25,000 mile OCI's. So from that, I SWAGGED my soot build up to be similar. His top end ( and camshaft wear) was extremely clean and one could see the orginal tool markings!!! The owner stayed around long enough to look at mine and we compared notes. He said when it was new he "babied" it for app 40,000 miles!!???
  • Options
    I have been seeing more and more ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel). I add approx 4oz of additive at EVERY fillup since it was new.

During a recient long trip , I measured 58MPG over 3 tankfulls. (which makes the measurement more accurate!) My TDI has traveled over 800 miles between fillups several times.

I do not know if the ULSD has attributed to this kind of MPG.... but not much else has changed on my TDI besides an oil change.
  • Options
    smdtdismdtdi Member Posts: 31
    I noticed that coolant level in my expansion tank ('05 Jetta TDI) is way ABOVE the maximum level.

About a month ago, I added a few ounces of G12 coolant, which I bought from the dealer. I didn't realize that I should dilute this with distilled water. I looked down into the expansion tank, and it looks like the pink fluid has separated somewhat (i.e. there is a darker concentration near the center of the tank).

Should I attempt to siphon off some of the excess coolant?

I am thinking about taking my car to a service station for a coolant flush and fill (with the G12 that I have already purchased of course).

Is this something I can do myself, or is it better left to the professionals?

My do-it-yourself experience so far is limited to oil changes, fuel/air filter replacements, and tire rotations.
  • Options
    Your 2005 is fine. If you added G12, then there is nothing to worry about. If you are CERTIAN the your car is sitting on level ground when you are checking the level... then it is OK to draw off some fluid. (Turkey baster is the tool of choice!)

There are tools available to check the "concentration" of the fluid in your system. Only thru measruement should you try to change the mix-ratio. (draining and refilling is not the only recouse.)

I am not sure how anything can "seperate" in a tank that gets constantly recurculated thru the engine. I suspect you are seeing an optical illusion.
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    The newest Jetta TDI with the 140hp and 2**lbs ft... Does anyone know when it will be released or if it will still get the same, similar, better, or worse mpg?

BTW, I'm glad they walked away from the Bluemotion name. Does VW use UREA?

-Cj
  • Options
    The TDi 2.0/140bhp engine has been around in Europe for a while now, and economy varies by car it's in. In the Skoda Superb, (basically a bigger Passat), it gets better mileage than the TDi 1.9/130bhp engine.............because the smaller engine is probably struggling slightly. In the current Jetta the Average figures are 53.3 for the TDi 1.9/103bhp, (yes 103 bhp), vs 48.7 for the TDi 2.0/138bhp. These numbers are Miles per (Imperial) Gallon, of course, on European cycle.

Not bad as a rough guide.
  • Options
    pretty good actually! Still, after watching this video I got from youtube, I'm stuck somewhere between a rock and a hard place!

I can only tell its diesel during the beginning. But after its going, I can no longer tell! Its so hard to pick! Plus the 100hp vs 140hp is whats eating at me. I would hate to pick by price and settle for less than what I want...

As long as there is a sunroof and the car is Deep Sea Green I'll be fine! I should be able to get the body accessory from VW anyways. The Lip spoiler, the AVGNON(Sp?) rims(Build a jetta 2.0T with package 1&2 and the rims you get then), and even the leatherette seats are great! As long as its not the hub caps...

Yup, I'm stuck betwwen a rock and a hard place. I can actually use my company slogan here... Diesel, Something different (Dairy Queen) but I'm not sure how the transition from smooth high reving v6 (170hp 164lbs ft) 95accord to a jetta. Its complete the opposite... :sick:
    -Cj
  • Options
    vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    Reference UREA. From what VW says, no. Uses some sort of a filter trap. No Adblue. I am surprised given how fast Adblue is catching on in Europe. Distribution problems I imagine.
  • Options
    vw_ilovevw_ilove Member Posts: 3
    or you could also try VW Parts Online.
  • Options
    There is some bad news to this also.

I went to the VW dealer yesterday and he was telling us some information about the diesel cars. A summary of what he said: The current... Old(?) TDI engine could use either ULSD or Regular Diesel whereas the new 2l TDI can ONLY run on ULSD. ULSD is.... SO on so forth. He was from England and was telling us how gas was $9, no one drove automatics, and how there is a $1300 tax for driving an SUV.

He was a very knowledgeable guy! He even informed us about the 2.5 jetta going from 150hp hp 170hp (making it more attractive to me!) and VW's color changes.

He did loose points when he had no clue that VW jettas were made in "Deep Sea Green" metallic... Honest mistake because its green thats mixed with grey.

Shadow Blue, Deep sea green, and that gold wheat color are all gone for 2008. Oh and the excellent news is that the jetta 2.5 is rated at 22/29 for 2008 instead of 22/30.

BTW, VW DID change the trim names. Its now S, SE, and SEL. So far, only the 2.5s are out and there is no word on the 2.0T engines for the jetta.

:surprise: OMG THE JETTAS TRUNK IS MUCH LARGER IN PERSON THAN PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :surprise: My first time visiting a VW dealer in quite some time. I think the last was when the A5 jetta was JUST introduced and there was only one on display.

-Cj :)
  • Options
    Your VW sales guy is being economical with the truth in some departments. Gasoline and ULSD prices are very close to $9 per Imperial Gallon; approx $7.3 per US Gallon.

Automatics are not uncommon over here and DSG 'boxes are increasingly popular.

The Annual Road Tax, (Vehicle Excise Duty), in UK for the highest band of vehicles, (those producing CO2 at >225g/km), is approx $600, not $1300. However, London is proposing that such cars be charged $50 per day to drive into the city. Other cities are watching with interest.

We don't get the 2.5TDi in Jetta or Passat here in Europe. Other VAG marques use it at in either 160 or 173bhp formats but it's getting to be very rare and is replaced by the 2.7TDi at Audi but that's not used by VW. VW use some 2.5TDI plus 3.0TDi and 5.0TDi V10 engines. :shades:

Boot, (trunk), on the Jetta is actually larger than on the Passat. Go figure. :confuse:

2.0 gas engine is still around but the one to watch for is the, (relatively), new 1.4TSI gas engine. Comes in 140 or 170bhp formats. Yes, it is only 1.4 litre but has both a turbo and a supercharger. Very clean engine. :)

If you Google on vw.co.uk, or audi.co.uk, or seat.co.uk or skoda.co.uk you can browse all the VAG products/specs we get.............and be shocked by UK car prices. Jetta prices range from $29.5k to $36.3k. Passat goes as high as $51.7 for the 3.2 4Motion model. I've used an ExRate of 2 USD to the Pound.

The VAG group has Audi at the top then VW followed by Skoda and SEAT. Common engineering but quite different approaches. Worth trawling through.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    How far is the Euro and USD now?
  • Options
    At present, 1 Euro = 1.35USD and 1GBP = 1.98USD
  • Options
    Hey is the diesel chatter/clatter easy to become used to? I know its different but i've not been in one before... other than the big 42passenger exclusive canary yellow hummer-like limo that picks me up in the mornings ;) .