Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    That's right; my '97, '04, and '05 Camrys all had this system.

Regarding the Honda system, Ford went one better (or they used to): just press in the lock cylinder on the trunk release lever next to the driver seat to disable the lever. Use the key (once) to enable the lever (1990 Sable).
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Um....I have an '07 Camry and there is a key lock right next to the lever itself.

Thats not intuitive......its there.

Manual reading isn't required for that.....its pretty self explanatory.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    That must come with a higher end trim then, there is no keylock next to the lever on an I4-LE
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Wow, you are correct. I could have sworm mine had one....so, I appologize for my previous statement.

If you lock the trunk with the regular key will the valet key work? I could have sworn it had one. Oh well, I don't think I'll need to worry about that. Any "prized posessions" won't be locked in the trunk anyway...
    A valet key does not open the trunk.

Furthermore, if you use the regular key in the trunk, and turn it to the left from the vertical position to the horizontal position, and then remove the key in the horizontal position....it will be locked so that the inside trunk floor release level will not pop the trunk open.
  • ovlee1ovlee1 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone know where I could have one made, for less than what Toyota dealers want. I have std keys and remotes, and key 'number'. But I just want a valet key. OVLEE
  • greencalgreencal Member Posts: 18
    I think newer model keys are Encrypted! i.e. Cannot be duplicate by key maker. Do need to pay big $$ to dealer!

AAA has introduced bill in CA to stop this.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The valet key never works in the trunk. It never has. The purpose of the valet is just to open the vehicle and run the engine. It cannot get into the trunk. Notice it doesn't have the remote ( with the trunk release ) built into the key either.

But there has always been a manual lever in side inorder to open the trunk so it seemed self-defeating. Thus they came up with the trick to cancel out the interior lever release - as noted above.
    Thx, Greencal: I agree with all you say...OVLEE
  • mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    I recently rented a 4cyl LE for a trip - liked it very much, except for one thing: during acceleration & highway speeds, the engine noise was pronounced - the radio had to 'compete' to be heard. I know the new 6 cylinder has gobs of power & acceleration - but does it provide a quieter ride?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Of course. That is the main reason to buy the V6 besides to drive faster.
    Many people accelerate hard in unfamilar cars during test drives or in rentals just to see how much power is there for future reference and are surprised by engine noise, but don't drive like that in thier own cars.
    However, if you accelerate hard enough often enough for the engine noise on the 4 cylinder to be a real issue in your life, you are wasting gas.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    You must have "really" accelerated the 4-cylinder (as in "flooring the accelerator"), as I also recently rented a 2007 Camry LE 4-cylinder automatic for a 1,700+ mile road trip, and I didn't find the noise from the engine objectionable either when accelerating or at cruising speed.

Is the engine perfectly quiet? No, but it's as quiet or more so than many 4-cylinders. I cruised at 75+ - sometimes greater - and the engine noise was negligible. Personally, I'll stick with the 4, and its less costly long-term maintenance benefits.
  • mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    thanks for the feedback
  • nananomnananom Member Posts: 11
    Could someone please tell me what the wheel extension part is and where to find it on the camry? Thanks in advance.
  • mediapushermediapusher Member Posts: 305
    This is a SECURITY feature. It is not meant to rip people off. Do you want unauthorized access to your car? Use your common sense.
    by greencal Apr 01, 2007 (7:39 am)
    Replying to: ovlee1 (Mar 31, 2007 6:42 pm)

I think newer model keys are Encrypted! i.e. Cannot be duplicate by key maker. Do need to pay big $$ to dealer!

AAA has introduced bill in CA to stop this.
    Nananom,

I see that nobody has answered your question. Can you provide some context as to what your situation is, and perhaps we can figure it out (or look something up) for you.

You have a 2007 LE Camry, and ???
    - you have a problem with symptoms like....., and you took it to a shop and they told you that you need a wheel exension?
    - you were reading in the operations manual on page xx in the section of ....., and they said to check the wheel extension?
    - you have a friend that told you to check your wheel extension?
    - you got a flat tire, and they said your wheel extension was ??

What is the context as to why you are asking?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Glad you asked, and in a more detailed manner than I would have! I was wondering the same thing.

I thought possibly it had to do with those extra plastic "fillers" (for want of a better word) that come with the car in the glove compartment or trunk and the dealer is supposed to install before selling the car?
    No, I haven't encountered it in any way. I saw it somewhere on this forum and was wondering what it was. I'm looking into getting a 4 cyl and was therfore arming myself with information. Thanks for the help.
    Hi Kiawah: I'm curious. What are the plastic 'fillers' to which you refer? I just bot a (new-to-me) '06 Avalon, and maybe there is stuff on Camrys but not the Avalons???? Maybe you refer to the plastic 'key' which I stick behind license plate, and which would get me back in the car should I leave the keys therein????....... I still would like a definitive answer as to the valet key, which I want but am not willing to pay big bucks for. If you do not know, that's okay! Oliver Lee
    Well actually I didn't mention plastic fillers, and I'm not 100% certain of this......but as I understand it I "think" what 210 was referencing is a couple rubber plugs, which are put in shipping holes which are underneath in the body(frame). When they ship the vehicle, the shipper ties down the vehicle with chains that have hooks on the end, which hook into those holes in the framebody. After it is at the dealer, the dealer puts those rubber plugs into those holes.
    Can anyone suggest a good car cover for 2007 camry?
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f12fe69/0

Future Toyota Hybrids. Where are they now. Where are they going. How can they get there. Prius. Camry. Lexus. And beyond. Check it out! :shades:

DrFill
  • car111car111 Member Posts: 24
    Is Smart key to be avoided - how to get Navigation without it since it seems to be together ? Below is health caution on toyota website, "The Smart Key System may interfere with some pacemakers or cardiac defibrillators. If you have one of these medical devices, please talk to your doctor to see if you should deactivate this system."
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    I'm a little unclear how one would deactivate the system and be still able to operate the car. It isn't like it has an on-off switch.

Smart Key is an option on the XLE only with the V6 engine, according to my options guide. I can believe that some Toyota regions only offer the car fully loaded, though. But, presumably, the 4cyl with nav is available.
    Toyota mentioned that deactivating smart key will deactivate the security system. And I want 3.5V6, not v4.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:
    I really like this vehicle, the comfort of the front seats and the quality of the ride. My selling dealer is outstanding in terms of service. Recently, they held a "new owners seminar" to acquaint the new owners with the required maintenance, and the offerings of the dealership.
    I had the opportunity to talk to a service tech about the Hybrid Technology. Based on his explanation, I think that I will explore the possibilility of "Hybrid Ownership" for my next vehicle.
    Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    Its not that nosiy even under all out acceleration.
    Our 4cyl is plenty quiet at highway speeds even when the tranny kicks down to pass.
    For anyone to imply the '07 Camry isn't quiet is a misnomer - nobody drives a 4 cyl. 4dr. family sedan "wide open" enough that engine noise should be a concern.
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    I made sure our new Camry had stability and traction control.
    If yours had ESC/Traction control you would feel a lot more comfortable in the snow.
    It snows almost 200" a year at Snowshoe Ski Resort in nearby WV. We haven't had any traction problems going and coming or parking at the resort.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Yes, the newer Camry's ('03 and later), and most newer FWD and/or front torque biased AWD Toyota/Lexus vehicles, now also have a transaxle firmware implemented method of simulating clutch disengagement during coastdown periods rather than permit any substantial level of engine compression braking on the driven AND stearing wheels.

Much, MUCH safer ice and packed snow wintertime roadbed condition driving.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    That characteristic of reacting to resistance on one side of the front wheels in snow and having the rear twitch sideways sounds scary. It would be because of the center of mass longitudinally of the car being closer to the front of the car, the rear end being very light on the tires giving little grip, and the tire tread and rubber of the rear tires.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

This question is about emission issues with smart-key, bluetooth and satellite capability (that come with JBL), or any other Camry component that may emit harmful radiation ?

Toyota has posted cautionary note with smartkey about its emitting electrical signals that can affect pacemakers. Are there other devices - eg bluetooth, car alarm, etc that have can harmful effects on people via their electrical or wireless radiation?

I get headaches from cellphones (at times) so I'll like to not get such options. Unfortunately, navigation comes with smart-key so I'll have to get after-market NAV. Disabling smart key may not work as mentioned by one toyota service guy. There are several internal smark-antennas to detect where the smart key is (inside car, out side car, etc) so I'm not sure they get disabled completely. But why would I get 6 wireless antennas in my car just to disable them and hope they don't emit anything afterwards. NAV is nice and big and clear but I am leaning towards skipping NAV as it comes bundled with smartkey.

Factory order takes times and I prefer not to wait that long. As I am sensitive to gas pedals so if I wait for factor order and wait long just to find its pedals are little stiff, it will be a waste? LE V6 with stability comes packaged with JBL package (and I like better music-JBL.

I was also thinking of skipping JBL package as bluetooth comes with it. I don't intent to pair a phone with Camry's bluetooth but even then there maybe some harmful radiation coming from it - anyway to switch bluetooth system off. How much to worry about bluetooth - it seems bluetooth range is lower so its emission power is lower but it maybe constantly emitting.

JBL comes with satellite radio capability - can it emit harmful radiation without actually having installed XM/Sirus receiver ? What if I do install these receivers ?

Is there any other Camry component to worry about ?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    if you install a receiver, think logically about this, it is a device that captures signals which are already bombarding you in a portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. the radios themselves don't emit additional radiation. you're already absorbing it all.

if this concept bothers you greatly, i'm honestly not sure what you could do about it, minus building a suit made of metalic material that convered you completely, including of course, your head.

i think the people most likely to be affected by high levels of electromagnetic radiation are people with a pacer, or possibly an insulin pump. don't quote me.

i get headaches using a cell also. it's not the electromagnetic radiation that causes it, it's the person on the other line. :blush:
    Not to make you any more paranoid, but all 5 of your tires have a wireless transmitter in them, which transmits their address and tire pressure to a central computer.

You are just being bombarded with waves.
  • berg32berg32 Member Posts: 56
    By design, our Smart Key opens only the driver door when you grasp the driver door first (it opens all doors if you grasp the passenger door first). Is there a way to have SmartKey unlock all doors when grasping the driver door first? (My Toyota service guy says no, but I'd love to prove him wrong. ;);) )
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    see my answer to you other post. post 2986
    Yes you can do it right now from your SK fob. It's a simple toggle. With the doors locked, Hold the LOCK button and the PANIC button down at the same time. After about 10 sec it will toggle to 'all doors unlock when driver's door it touched'. Do the same thing again and it will toggle to 'driver's door only unlocks'.
  • teamfox20teamfox20 Member Posts: 2
    Hi There,

I was wondering how do you make the interior personal lights turn on when the door is opened? Mine do not turn on and i cant figure it out.

thank you,

danny
    Teamfox,
    Are you talking about the dome light? The dome light has a switch on it, which has three settings. Always ON, Always OFF, or SWITCHED so it comes on when you open the door. Check out the owners manual.
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Hello there! I am just starting to look at cars, as mine is seven and not immortal, I know. I've always bought American cars, and for the most part, I've never had any huge issues. Now I have to say I am very disappointed about my Dodge Intrepid. I paid a HUGE amount of money for it seven years ago, and have taken care of it like my flesh and blood child and despite its relatively low mileage, it's starting to get pretty "needy." :(

My oldest sister and her whole family are COMPLETELY Toyota crazy. They won't even look at anything else. They are all trying to persuade me to go Toyota next time, and I'll be a much happier camper for it. I am certainly considering it, but no one has yet sold me on the idea.

Yes, I take into account the depreciation thing, but since I tend to hold onto vehicles a long time, that's not a big issue for me. What really matters is 1) do I like the car enough to have it a bunch of years (totally subjective) 2) does it get decent gas mileage and 3) is it dependable and does not cost me a fortune to maintain. One of the reasons I have tended to shy away from foreign cars is the cost of parts and maintenance.

So in short (I know, too late) I'm looking for objective opinions from long time Camry owners. What have your experiences been with maintenance costs and frequency? Would you buy another of the same car given the choice? How has the car "held together" over the long term? (One of my biggest issues with my Intrepid is that it seems to be falling apart around the engine) Many thanks! :)

Karen
  • teamfox20teamfox20 Member Posts: 2
    Kiawah,
    I was assuming it was that easy but my dome lights do not have any of those switches. I also do not have the smartkey thing.
    The dome light, in the middle of the vehicle roof (sits about parrallel to the back of the front seats......you are saying that it doesn't have a sliding switch on it which says On, Off, Door?

This is a 2007 Camry LE, 4 cylinder correct?
    Here is what the dome light is, from the owners manual

Facory maintenance now is nearly a non-issue. In the Camry there's a timing chain that should never need replaicing. The plugs are good for 100K+ miles. That's it...

A winterisation
    Rotate/Balance tires
    wear items...

Shop for a dealer that may give you some of these free if you buy there. Many offer free oil/filters, etc for 2 or 3 yrs or even lifetime.

I had 4 Camry's from 1989 though 2005 ( then a Prius ) and only needed regular maintenance over the last 7 yrs. In the beginning maintenance was expensive. Now it's an after thought.
    Hi Kmauss:
    I purchased my first Toyota, (a 2007 XLE Camry), in January. Prior to this vehicle, I owned a 2003 Honda Accord. The Honda rides VERY HARD, and I found the seats to be very uncomfortable, but this is just my opinion. On the other hand, the Toyota rides great. At the present time, I have about 7,200 miles on this vehicle, and it runs GREAT! I DO NOT have any of the problems that you see discussed on these boards. When I purchased this vehicle, I put a 6 year 100,000 mile,(top of the line), Toyota extended warranty on the Camry. My Honda had a 7 year 100,000 mile Honda extended warranty, and Honda put in $3,300.00 worth of repairs under this program. The original purchase price of this Honda coverage was $895.00.
    Prior to purchasing the Camry I looked at the Chevrolet Impala, Buick, Ford 500, Mercury, Hyundai, & Nissan. I would have purchased an Impala or the Buick, put I could not get the trim level that I wanted in stock in the state of New Jersey. (I NEVER ORDER VEHICLES). I want to see and drive the vehicle that I am purchasing, before I sign the purchase contract! I am not a fan of Chrysler Products. They have GREAT exterior designs, but they lack "quality" in terms of their engines, and their dealers and factory reps leave a lot to be desired. (I had a friend who owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee who went through "hell" trying to get this vehicle repaired under the original factory warrnty. The vehicle lived at the dealership.)
    At the present time I like my new Camry. When you purchase a new vehicle, remember you are also entering into a relationship with the dealership. Make VERY sure that you are comfortable with the operational atmosphere of the dealership. This is especially true of their service department. Before I made the Camry purchase, I had the sales person take me on a tour of the facilities. This Toyota dealer happens to have a new building, so everything is "state-of-the-art" in terms of "technology".
    The bottom line is, purchase the vehicle that YOU like. Remember, you only go through this life once, and you are paying for this new vehicle. I would highly recommend that you purchase a "top of the line" manufacturer's extended warranty on this new vehicle. I have always done this, and I have always come out ahead of the game! With the cost of major repairs today, having an extended warranty just makes good economic sense. I drive alot, and in a four year period, I will have somewhere between 80,000 and 90,000 miles on the vehicle. One AC Compressor failure would be at least $1,000.00 to repair. MY extended warranty for the Toyota costs $1,600.00. I know with my high mileage driving, I will at least make that cost back. (The time that I spend idling in traffic is more time then other people spend driving). On the other side of the issue, I am a maintenance fanatic. I have my oil and filter changed every 2,500 miles. Oil and filters are cheap, engines are expensive! Toyota recommends 5,000 mile intervals for this service, but I cut the figure in half! All of my service is done by the selling dealer, so all of my service records are in one location. Should I get into a service problem on a road trip, the Toyota dealer at that location can look at my service record through their computer, of they can get that information from my selling dealer.
    Lots of luck with your vehicle search! Best regards. ------Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    I have a 1995 Camry and the only thing that I have replaced in all those years is the battery. Other than that, I have not put one dime into the car. I have the oil changed no more than once a year.

The car is garaged and looks brand new. Granted it only has 48,000 miles.

Would I buy another one? Absolutely...but not this year. Maybe next year when all the bugs are worked out of the DBW.

And I do like the looks of the Sonata V6 Limited.
    An extended warranty does not make "good economic sense" except to those selling them.
    It is not an investment. It is just a gamble. You may "win" once in a while, but you will not win in the long run. Same as playing a slot machine in a casino. You put money in and hope to get more than you put in paid back to you.

If you go into a casino you can see people all around you who are winning money off the slots, and I have won money on a slot machine also. That doesn't mean that playing slots long term makes economic sense to anyone other than the casino. This is analogous of anecdotal reports of you or some acquaintance getting big repairs covered by an extended warranty and concluding that therefore purchasing extended warranties will save you money over your lifetime vs skipping them.

If you buy extended warranties for all of the next 5 cars you buy in the next 30 years, you will have paid out a lot more in the cost of warranties than you get back in covered repairs. That is even without taking the money you would have spent on each extended warranty and investing it even in CDs or money market accounts.

If the warranty programs were paying out more to cover A/C compressor failures or any other covered item failure that occur during their coverage window than they receive in premiums, they would stop offering them.

It's like people think the warranty companies are clueless as to how much it costs to fix the items they cover vs what they charge for the premiums.
    Hi jaxs1:
    I have had an extended warranty on all my vehciles. Over the years of ownership, I have either broke even with the cost of the warranty, or came out ahead in terms of cost of the repairs, and the purchase price of the extended warranty. I have owned Ford, GM, Honda and now a Toyota product. I do an extensive amount of driving, (at least 22,000 miles per year), and I would be out of the orginal warranty in less than two,(2),years. With a "top of the line" manufacturer extended warranty, I can have my vehicle service at any Toyota dealership is something happens on the road. This is just one thing less to worry about. My former vehicle a 2003 Honda Accord had a 7 year / 100,000 Honda extended warranty. The original owner purchased it at a cost of $895.00. Over the course of 90,000 miles, Honda put in repairs of $3,300.00 under this warranty,---- (AC compressor, Motor mounts, Drivers Door Power Window Regulator Assembly, Two Cat Converters, Passenger Door interior handle). On the Ford, the extended warranty paid for a "NEW ENGINE"! On the GM vehicle, the extended warranty paid for a NEW AC compressor and a blower motor in the dash, and a NEW alternator and battery, (the alternator cooked the battery). YES, an extended factory warranty works for me! An extended warranty is NOT like gambling. It is a "sure thing," based on the current quality of the new vehicles being producted by any name plate!----But, if you do not believe in this coverage, that is a "personal choice," and I respect that decision on your part!
    Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    My opinion of 'Extended Service Contracts' has changed in the last few years. I too never thought the ESC's were worthwhile with Toyota or Honda. They were imperative with the GM and Chrysler vehicles I had over the last 20 yrs.

Now however all vehicles are mainly rolling electronic devices controlled by various mini-computers and processors. While the mechanical parts of the vehicles are probably still solid as a rock, the ECTi, VVTi, ETCi, EPS, ABS, VSC, TC, BA, LTPM systems don't operate with out their controllers.

These controllers are NOT made by Toyota or Honda or GM. They are purchased subcontracted parts/systems and all of them are covered only by the 3/36 warranty. A really ridiculous example is the Low Tire Pressure Monitoring system ( LTPM ). In each wheel is an electronic device that monitors the tire pressure and sends a signal to the controlling ECU. Each one costs about $300 to replace. There are 5 in most cars now.

Another is a personal experience with our 2003 MR2 Spyder with the SMS with 34000 mi. An indicator came on indicating an error in the Transmission. Took it in and the codes it 'threw' indicated that a pump and the electronic controller for that pump needed to be replaced. They called Toyota in CA and found that each part was ........$2400!!! The total bill would have been $5500.

The parts and labor would have been covered under an ESC but not by the original 3/36 which had expired. We sent it to aution 'As Is' and got full value at the auction./ But someone is looking at a hefty bill.
    So, what you are saying is that the extended warranty companies charge around $1000 or less (actually much less since the price you pay is less than they receive after the dealer's markup/commission) and pay out two to five times that amount fixing all these electronic components that fail after the factory warranty expires, but still before their coverage period expires. They don't know anything about how much it costs to repair the cars they cover or care about having a sustainable business model.
    They are paying these claims year after year to hundreds or thousands of policy holders, but they never learn.
    Not making much sense.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Actually he didn't say anything that you are saying he said. Try reading what he actually said.

His point is valid which is -- if you do get a hit by an out of warranty repair, it can be much more expensive than days past. And that there are lot more things that can go wrong on vehicles these days.