Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued XI

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
This topic is a continuation of Topic 1815....

Chevy Silverado - Continued X. Please continue
these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• Options
    waterpipwaterpip Member Posts: 3
    I'm not aware of the restrictions although I haven't put in my order yet for 2001 4WD, ext cab, ext black over charcoal. Are you worried about keeping your black coat clean and free of dings? I'm torn between black (which has been my dream truck) or white over charcoal (which hides the dirt and dings better). Also, what price are you getting? Dealer won't quote me one, except that they will offer me $200 over invoice. They expect 2001 models to be 1% over 2000 costs. Interested in what deal you're getting to compare notes. I've been looking throughout the Northeast and now in South for the best deal. About to give up on finding this year's truck since new ones should be delivered soon. Appreciate any info you have.
    Margie
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    wow....Silverado XI amazing!!
  • Options
    redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    how's it goin? i must say that, even though i
    read all your post on detonation problems and
    all, i gotta wonder. do you even enjoy your truck

at all? it seems like all you're doing is trying
    to find problems. do you feel that there really
    are that many problems under the hood or is it
    that you're trying to fix what is'nt broken at
    all. i will say that the spark plugs are a good
    way to get rid of the engine cackle we're hearing

from time to time. mine has come and gone to be
    sure, but after running Vavoline's synthetic fuel

treatment at 4,000 miles, has yet to return.
    don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to find fault
    with you, i'm just trying to learn more about my
    5.3 and it's quirks. heck i mentioned to my
    service department that i was hearing what we
    call detonation and they told me to run it a
    little harder, that i was babying it to much. can

you believe that? anyway, i hope you don't find
    anything really wrong with your truck but, until
    then i'll just continue to read your updates.
  • Options
    really sorry to hear that you're the victim of
    some idiot. my family thinks i'm nuts 'cause i
    won't hardly leave my truck unattended. people
    just have no respect anymore. maybe the big truck
    bash would help. if it were big enough nationwide
    and people saw how serious we all take our trucks
    they'd be more carful about banging into them
    like they do.

...red
  • Options
    how's u' be likes'en that cadillacs?
    heards any detonation yets? he he
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    sorry to hear about it....I had a tiny door ding from a Dodge....and even though it's so small...on Black it's a sore thumb..

Think of it this way...your truck has character now!

After all...YOU said a while back that it's a truck..it's supposed to have a few scratches...or something along those lines...

- Tim
  • Options
    swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    added character? I feel for ya, I always park mine in the rear of the parking lot, if it's full I find somewhere else. It's worked so far. Dang, I wasn't the first post this time, oh well...
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Yea Scratches not gouges and dents. THis thing stands out alot. Especially in the sun. Trust me its not to small its about a inch long about 1/2 to 1 inch wide gouge. Hopefully i can svae the fender flare i can live with that but this ugly scratch has got to go. Anyone know exactly how they take the dent out??? I think ill just park the truck in the driveway now and go back to driving my dads 92 S-10. 4 yrs and no one hit me in that. Wierd huh. Well time to wash it and get the buggs off and see how lovely this scratch looks the day after.

Oh yea almost forgot last night during the ride home i was getting off the expressway and a truck blew a tire well guess where the tire went? Right at me couldnt go anywhere so i hit it. Luckily i think i just ran it over the truck is fine hopefully the skid plates are fine. AHHHHHH i dont wanna drive this thing anymore.

Ryan
  • Options
    Sorry its about 6 inches long not a inches.

Ryan
  • Options
    werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    made the top 10 again...wahoo!!!
    kyle
  • Options
    ryan - that sucks dude, sorry to hear it. don't park it though...you paid a bunch of $$$ for it. can't just let it sit and not enjoy it. drive it. sh*t happens. get it fixed and move on. i park mine far away from others too...good luck on the repair!

vince - did you amp your tube, or just feed it off the factory deck? buddy said that the factory decks have pretty nice amps in them now and that if you're not looking to go super-loud that you can feed a non-powered tube off the factory deck. any comments?

anyone - read the service manuals cost $126 in the back of my owner's manual. don't really want to pay that much when really the only piece of info i need are the lube points that i can get when i do regular services. anyone have pics, or a listing of the lube points? i know i've asked this question before, but i've only found 8 in the vicinity of the front axle/wheels. one other guy said 13. anyone have pics of where to find all the fittings? or, are they all shown in the service manual or anywhere else that i might be able to find them for less than $120?

lastly - anyone who has MS Excel - I have a program set up in excel that allows me to track my gas mileage and also has a regular maintenance log. yes, in fact i am anal, but i figure most of you are too, that's why you're here. anyways, if you're interested, drop me a line at kwerking@aol.com and i'll be happy to email it to you.

later...

kyle
  • Options
    the '00 Sedan DeVille is an impressive car. great acceleration, ride, legroom, and build quality. I can hardly believe that it's made by GM. They may have gotten something right for a change. Don't know about their customer service though....but paying $51K for this....got to really think about that one. For $51K I could be driving a new Vette.
  • Options
    I had to park it i had a wedding to go to. Im still so pissed. 30K truck and i have to pay probably 1K for some [non-permissible content removed] not giving a damn.

Ryan
  • Options
    when i said don't park it, i meant don't just leave it in your driveway...sorry for the miscue...i hear ya on the a##holes though. had some guy nearly run me off the highway a couple weeks ago. no idea why, but boy was he pissed at me for some reason.

kyle
  • Options
    jescopjescop Member Posts: 33
    Sorry to hear you were the victim of an inconsiderate #%@$head. I would like to throw a party for people like that.... a blanket party.
    Get it fixed and you'll feel better.
    I'm still waiting for some jerk to run a stop light and cream me. I finally got my new truck...
    you know it will happen!

Jeff
  • Options
    Congrats on your truck.

hopefully nothing bad will happen to you. Hopefully all the bad stuff is done with me too.

Ryan
  • Options
    750hill750hill Member Posts: 29
    When truck was new would circle like a shark
    trying to find a "safe" spot. Well one night
    went with a friend to the theater. Parked in
    back, what happened she opened the door into
    the stair rail. Not hard at all but S*** what
    a nick. I wasn't upset at her just the thin
    metal used these days. I brought the truck
    so could take places won't take other car,
    it paid off. Other is Jet Black if walk
    by wrong it leaves a mark. Well newness has
    worn off the truck, along with nick, so when
    do drive truck now head for the closest spot.
  • Options
    jkaniajkania Member Posts: 40
    I friend of mine bought a '99LS last year. He had vibration problems with it. He took it to the dealer several times to get it fixed. During this period he hit a deer on the road. I think he said $5k to fix that. The dealer couldn't fix his vibration problem, so GM bought the truck back for what he paid minus $2k. He did put 50k mi on it, and had it for 7mos. So he got a 2000 LS 4WD last week. His daughter (who has a learners permit) went out for a drive with his wife and 2 friends. She drove onto the gravel shoulder of a 2 lane road, lost control, and rolled it 3 times in the ditch. Luckily, no one was hurt. He had 53 miles on it when it crashed. The rescue guys had to cut off the roof to get them out. One thing though, the roof didn't collapse, even with the 4 doors and no shell on the back. But talk about luck , whew! So don't feel too bad about the dent Ryan, could be a lot worse.
  • Options
    Yes i know it could have been alot worse and i am beginning to calm down but still any scratch is a bad one. Its brand new you know if i did it it would be different like your friend did it you know exactly who did it i have no clue who did it and that is what frys me.

I hope no one in your friends truck got hurt.

Tomorrow i get to find out the price tag of this [non-permissible content removed] nice deed. Ill let you all know.

Ryan
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Tough luck and so soon too. I won't say it's a good thing but at least the ding is bad enough to justify fixing it. Most dings don't so you just have to look at them every time you see your truck. I put one of those in mine, small but on the driver's door. At first my eyes were drawn to to it every time, but I don't notice it much anymore. What is they say about time healing all wounds...
  • Options
    NO NO NO, the factory stereo is not powerful enough to drive a subwoofer. It's true that the stereo isn't half bad but it takes enormous gobbs of power to reproduce low frequencies properly. Certainly a non-amplified tube would help but if you're going to go to all the trouble why not run a few power wires and have an excellent result. I bought the discontinued version of their best series (RS) at a discount ($200 incl shipping). It has an 80 watt amp which is plenty adequate for my needs. The factory head unit is nowhere near 80W and it needs all it's power to drive the door speakers.
  • Options
    kantonkanton Member Posts: 142
    about two months after buying my truck, some dumb @#$, without looking backed up into the truck and put a small dent in the bumper. It was a sickning feeling. He did not want to report it to his insurance company, so he gave me $625 cash to replace the bumper. After that, the dent did not seem to be so big and my nausea was all but gone.
    Also, by removing the bumper and using a press, we were able to make the dent virtually unnoticeable. Scratches and dents happen (unfortunately), but live goes on.
    Kyle
  • Options
    cabhopcabhop Member Posts: 1
    Just got my 00 silverado extended cab 4x4. Question 1. Who makes the factory receiver for the silverados? I don't want a cheap one size fits all hitch; Also I don't want to pay the chevy dealers full price. Question 2. I hear a wind whistle noise when the drivers window is down at any speed above 15mph. it seems to be coming from about the side mirror forward. No noise on the passenger side though. Last question, can this 1500 truck carry a 900lbs pop up camper? Will it require air shocks, add-a-leafs? It is'nt a z-71 just a plain short bed extended 4x4 with 4.8
  • Options
    nrd525nrd525 Member Posts: 109
    I picked up my '00 Sierra 4dr 4x4 Thursday night.I took it to work,downtown(uhoh),and park it in a lot that IS guarded until dawn,so I figured the worst would be a slight ding.
    I get off at 8,walk and see something on my front passenger window.It looks like red dust!There is a tiny little scratch in the middle of it.I brushed it off,and the drivers side is covered with the same dust,and when I walk around to the other side,there's a BRICK,broken in half lying next to my truck.That's what the red dust was!Now,I'm pissed..
    I took some water from inside,and washed off the drivers window.There are 4 spots where the brick had bounced off the window,and they won't go away.I'm going to try the toothpaste polising deal on the glass,it can't hurt,and it works on watches and radio display windows,so I might be able to get the glass clear again,if somewhat distorted.Anyone try anything like this before??
    There isn't any other mark on it,just prints and smears.It's black,so it's kind of expected.
    I just thought MAYBE I would get a week before some doofus put a ding in it.My Nerf bars put a big ding in some guys car tonight at the grocery store.The wind caught it,and the bottom of his door whacked the bar,and it was a beater car,so he just laughed,and said it was lucky I had the bars on it.When I felt the bump,I wonder what my blood pressure was?A wave of anger went through me for a couple of seconds,until I saw it was his car that took the hit..
  • Options
    I had the door open into my running boards before...glad it was them and not the door!

Was at the post office...someone parallel parked in front of me..and when she cut in..I heard a "whack" nise...she got out and thought she hit me...couldn't find anything...when I got home..there was a scrape that mostly rubbed out in the bumper cover thingee....you know...that black pad like carp on the bumper that wraps around the sides?
    3rd day I had it....rock hit the window.....2 weeks later...another rock chip....in first month...several hood chips from all the highway commuting...

These things are going to get touched by the elements....if you like it or not. Or...we could just leave them in the driveway?

This has become the Silverado damage forum!

....I know a guy...2 years ago..hunting season...brand new F150...hits a deer...(actauly slaughters one as it mostly goes under...but still ruins the front end).....on the way back from accident....hits another one same night....shop has it for 2 weeks.....on the way home from shop....Guess what?...yup....hits another one....10 minutes after he picked it up...he was pulling into the shop with the body man just looking at him in horror..

If nobody gets killed or hurt in these messups....well..that's all that matters...they are just machines that can be fixed.

- Tim
  • Options
    rskrsk Member Posts: 38
    the body shop. 2000 Sierra SLE Z71 ext cab. A young woman backed her Toyota Tercel into my front passenger door. I had a dent the size of a pie plate she had scratch on her bumper and a broken tail light lens. A friend of mine witnessed the whole thing. When I was talking to her I never once lost my cool. After I we exchanged all the information and she was gone my friend couldn't believe how calm I remained. I told him she was ready to start crying the entire time I was talking to her and having her bawl wasn't going to help the situation as far I was concerned. Besides the damages were covered by her insurance company. Total bill was just over $1000.00. The body shop had the truck for four days while they fixed it.

I had a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 for a rental while my truck was in the body shop. I liked the four real doors hated the tiny box. Five and a half feet is to damn short for a box.

It sucks when a new vehicle gets damaged unfortunately thats life. Get your truck fixed and enjoy driving it.
  • Options
    This shouldnt be the silverado damage forum. I hope no one has their trucks dented scratched or smashed anymore. Its a shame how people have little or no respect for peoples stuff. Now where ever i go i take up 2 parking places in some cases 3 like when i went to dunkin donuts yesterday i took up half the parking lot i just dont give a u know what. I dont even care about parking tickets im not having my truck ruined.

RSK i hope they dont have my truck for 4 days. I think at the most it will be 2. Did a chevy dealer fix yours or some other company??? I figure i will take it to the chevy dealer because im sure they fix more new silverados than some of the local body shops and they will do it right. Probably pay more but its worth it. Glad to hear you didnt lose your temper i know i would have unless it was a women then i couldnt but i think if a women did it she would have at least left a note or something. Trust me if i found the person who did it i would have probably been in jail i was so pissed.

Ok happy thoughts now lets move on to bigger and better things :)

Ryan
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Chevy Customer Assistance told me they will have the 8600lb and 9200lb versions available for 2001. No ideas about '02. Since the 2500 only accounts for 5% of Silverado production, it seems unlikely they will continue to make a unique frame and suspension for it. Usually they follow Ford's lead, and Ford dropped the 250 version of the jellybean truck one year after the SD250 came out. I expect GM to do the same.

Mike L.
    99 Silverado 1500 4x4 4.8L 5spd
    00 Silverado 2500 LS 4x4 6.0L 5spd (Love it!!)
  • Options
    How many mls you have on the new truck? Mine is 16 days old and has hmmm 1100 something. Gas milage isnt the greatest but who cares.

Ryan
  • Options
    Ryan.....it's a truck man!
    ...chill..

I like mine just as much....but jail for a dent?

- Tim
  • Options
    Im very easy going never been in a fight but u mess with my truck u mess with me thats the attitude i take. Dont get the wrong impression of me please im not like all violent relly only two ways to really make me mad mess with my family or mess with my truck.

Ryan
  • Options
    So yes I did go to a GM body shop. I figured if they had to reskin the door and replace any parts I wanted them to be from GM and not from some after market company. The body shop pulled the dent and reworked the contour of the lower door panel. The steel cross beam in the door was not damaged. They gave me choice of pulling and fixing the dent or reskinning the door. They recommended against reskinning because of the possibility of rust. They cannot get the seam as tight as the factory so they have to do a combination of spot wielding and glue to attach the new panel.

The paint job looks good but they could have been a little more careful with the over spray. The passenger torsion bar and frame are now a pewter color. The rocker panel was also scratched when she hit the door so that had to be painted also. Thats why I have all the over spray. Because this was an insurance job I was not concerned about price.

If I was paying out of my own pocket I would have shopped around. I think smaller body shops tend to do a better job. Mainly because they can't afford to advertise and depend more on word of mouth.
  • Options
    For the info RSK. I havent paid insurance on my truck i still have till the end of the month the truck is covered but i was advised just to pay it. My deductable is $500 and i figure it might be a lil more than that. Hopefully they will just fix the dent and repaint. im gonna try and keep the fender flare even though it has a small dent where it looks like the door got stuck it is next to the body of the truck and can not be seen and it looks like a rock indented it. As long as the dent is gone and it is not noticable from 10 ft away ill be happy. Ill find out today around 3pm im going to get an estimate.

Ryan
  • Options
    ..ever??

me either..

LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    Well once but it was 3rd grade i hardly believe that counts.

Ryan
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Sorry to hear about the misfortune w/ the butthead. Going to the GM dealer bodyshop is NOT a guarantee of a better job, I have seen some BAD work from dealerships & a lot of them send their body work out to a private shop because of this.
    You get the repair estimate yet? figure $1000 to $1500 my friend. Your door skin will probably have to be replaced not patched, 4 days sounds like the right amount of time not 2.

My parking of truck usually makes me walk a little farther but I keep the truck in the outer reaches of crowded parking lots, I don't mind the walk in order to somewhat preserve my trucks cosmetics for now since it's new.

2700 flawless miles so far, 91 hours on meter. 1st camping trip coming up Memorial Day weekend at the races............

Ray T.
  • Options
    The dent is nowhere near my door. Its in the back next to the fender flare opposite side of the gas tank. Other side of the Z71 sticker

I know what u mean about a long walk after you park. i did that at work today and i also took up 2 parking places im sure some people didnt like that. Oh well.

I picked this gm bodyshop because my family has had work done there with no complaints. My mom works for a for a lack of a better term junk yard and they do alot of business with this bodyshop for insurance purposes.

I dont know about $1500 itll be less than that but im sure itll be expensive.

Ryan
  • Options
    bcnetbcnet Member Posts: 14
    From what I have learned, the 2001 ordering can begin May 15th. One of the three Silverado plants will be in 2001 production for one week before the normal 2 week 4th of July shutdown. Then on July 17th, production of 2001 at all three plants will be in full swing. Should start to see trucks late July or early August.
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Too bad about the truck. I agree with you about reasons to fight, but let's hope it never comes to that.

I only have 142 miles on the truck. I did install the aux battery relay, bracket and cable, and the window air deflectors, and the headlight high beam coupler. But I also had to work on the front fence (1/3 of the pickets are up), mow the grass (weeds), and take my wife to airport, paint another 40+ pickets for the front fence, fix the pool sweep, and more. Next weekend I want to get the first 5-600 miles on the truck and change the oil and filter. Then I can put on the camper brackets and mount the camper and see if I need the rear sway bar or not.

This truck doesn't want to go 55. The 1500 was no problem, but this truck is quiet enough that the speed just keeps going up.

Granny low is pretty low, should be OK with the camper on.

My salesperson told me they sell 2500s for $2500 over invoice. My GMS +3% deal came in at $900 under invoice. I'm happy with that and the 45 days from order placement to delivery.

Dark Carmine Red with Satin Black flares looks good. I'll get some pictures later this week when the sun comes out.

Mike L.
    99 Silverado 1500 4x4 4.8L 5spd
    00 Silverado 2500 LS 4x4 6.0L 5spd
  • Options
    its gonna cost $600 (well like $500 something but after tax itll be over $600). They have to remove the tail light, bumper, fender flares, mudflap, Z71 sticker, and bed rail caps. Im so sad now i didnt think they would have to remove all that. Oh well itll get fixed soon

Ryan
  • Options
    of the horror??

I'll even post it for you....

- Tim
  • Options
    sorry to hear about your truck...get it fixed and put it behind you...I'm sure you know that already...

rayt2
    gee whiz it's been awhile since you've posted. How are you doing...
  • Options
    ..drive that thing man!!!

LOL

- Tim
  • Options
    the rearended guy was budlitedude.
  • Options
    pjcavpjcav Member Posts: 80
    where did u get your info from? just curious. i had a 2000 on order and it never got an allocation. i now am in the system for a 2001. dealer told me mon may 15th that the first chance i get to get the order accepted is tuesday may 16th for his delaership. they still dont seem knowlegable on the composite bed on the short bed extended cabs, or the other minor changes. i went to gm fleet web site and you can find the major changes for 2001. still not sure if i like the composite bed, but it is not like i have a choice.

later pat
  • Options
    odenmeyerodenmeyer Member Posts: 61
    Can someone explain what this would sound like and what components are involved. Thanks

Mark
  • Options
    I don't know who makes the hitch but the factory price isn't bad considering you get a trans cooler. I guess it's too late for that if you already have your truck.

The mirror whistle was mentioned a long time ago. I seem to remember it was from a gap or seam between two parts. A little something shoved in the gap fixed it.

The truck will take your popup camper fine but may need some additions. If you want details come over to the Cabover Camper topic #1637. Several people have popups and or Silverados.
  • Options
    from my understanding....it's an Option...so you DO have a choice...

- Tim
  • Options
    The reason they have to remove is everything is for painting. Once the damage is fixed they will paint the entire side of the box. This way you will not be able to tell were the damage is. If they just shot the damage area with some paint you would always see it.

Randy
  • Options
    yes i know this i was just saying what they had to do. They said if i wanted they could just paint half but it would leave a noticeable line in the middle of the side. Im taking it in tomorrow so ill be truckless for 2 days. The dent i felt almost went totally through the side pretty good sized dent small but very deep. The bodyshop guy said a car door didnt do it im still trying to figure out what did. HMMMM what if i had a composite bed hmmm.

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.