Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Convertible - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    You should be fine.
    We have a car due at the same time.
    Your VIN should exist, this means the car is being built, or has already been built.
  • stanwictstanwict Member Posts: 60
    Auction ends May 3rd and current high bid is $43,100 as of this post which hasn't met the reserve price. You could hit the buy it now button and pay $65,000. I'll reserve my nasty comments about this dealer for doing what they are trying to do with this car.
  • burghburgh Member Posts: 17
    You have to give the dealer credit for creativity. It is a disservice to the dealer's local customers, but maybe no one in the area wanted to put down a deposit on an order. Maybe this dealer is stuck with more cars than customers.

I doubt that this is the case and the dealer will hopefully just learn from the negative feedback given by his local customers.
  • laxdadlaxdad Member Posts: 12
    Reserve not met. I was tempted. Would solve my delivery issue!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,723
    Heading south on Rte. 128 (I95) outside of Boston after work. Silver, nice. Don't like the satellite radio fin on the trunk, though. Top was up, raining cats/dogs. Much traffic, so hard to keep it in my line of sight. Maybe one of the Boston area demos?

They're out there...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    Just an FYI, you said you want your first convertible, but it seems that you are only considering the C70 or the Saab 93 or Audi A4. If you are not anti-German, you should probably also consider the Sebring. I have not driven the C70 or the Saab 93 or Audi A4, but I would assume the Sebring is less of a "driver's car" than any of those. Then again, you can't compare any of your choices to a Porsche, eh?

It will be interesting to see how the C70 is received, and how it performs. I hope Volvo hits a home run with it. That's what's better for us, the consumers. Failures don't help any of us, even if we want to buy a different car. If Volvo fails, Audi has less incentive to succeed, etc.

you could also consider a two-year old BMW 3-series convert. (or a new one)
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    What's your reasoning there about "if not anti-German, consider the Sebring?" I don't think the Daimler part of Daimler-Chrysler has much, if anything, to do with the Sebring.

If someone wants a Saab or Audi or the C70, frankly I doubt the Sebring would be very satisfactory. It's ok for a cruiser, but nowhere near the fun or luxury level of the other cars he's considering.

That said, a friend of mine has a Sebring that now has something like 120,000 miles on it. He's been happy with it.
    well, they don't call it Chrysler-Daimler, now, do they?

:-)

DC is about as much of an "American" car company as Toyota is.

I haven't driven the C70, but I've read a lot, and I dont' think it will be a better driving experience than a well-appointed Sebring. The Audi is reasonably fun to drive, but it is small (for me). I do like the Saab, but the interior needs an update. I don't think the Sebring is a bad deal.

of course, if we want to pick a convertibile based on driving, the 330 leads the way. That doesn't mean it's the best one for everybody, but from just the driving perspective, it leads.

They are all different - all good in their own way.

We win.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927
    but it seems that you are only considering the C70 or the Saab 93 or Audi A4. If you are not anti-German,

pssssttt..... audi is german. pass it on.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• yankees338yankees338 Member Posts: 28
    Personally I prefer the Solara over a Sebring. It's more stylish both on the inside and out, and is bigger than any convertible out there, except possibly a Sebring.
  • laxdadlaxdad Member Posts: 12
    The C70 with it's convertible hard top makes it a fair comparsion to the new VW and existing (higher priced) Lexus and MB models. If Pontiac ever produces their G6 hardtop it should also be considered. Understand that BMW has a convertible hard top in the works.

This will be my first convertible and I only considered the purchase due to the hardtop feature. I don't think comparing the product to a "rag top" is a fair comparision for either product.
    oops - duh! (thanks)
    yes, good point - the Solara also has to be in the mix. I can't warm up to the style of it, however. I'd probably like it if I drove it.
    re the G6

It is being produced - they are being sold and delivered already. I saw one at my local Pontiac dealer, but was unable to take any time to look it over. I was rushing to get across the street to the Volvo dealer to peak at the c70. I like the look of the c70 - small and sporty, not a beast like the old c70. The jury is out until I've driven it, of course.

But how does one spend 40k on the c70, knowing you could get a sweetly-equipped Boxster for not a whole lot more coin?
    But how does one spend 40k on the c70, knowing you could get a sweetly-equipped Boxster for not a whole lot more coin?

soft top vs. hard top
    2 seats vs. 4 seats
    I can't fit vs. I can fit

other than the fact that you can drop the top, the 2 don't compare.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

If it has to be a hard-top for you, then you're right.

I thought I would fall in love with the C70, for many of the same reasons you and others have mentioned - hard top, lots of luxury features, small enough but still can seat four, etc.

But after driving it, my response was more like "eh..." instead of "wow!" I ended up with a Nissan 350Z, which won for kicks and grins, and also felt very secure on the road. (Important to me, and I wasn't sure that a roadster would feel that solid. It did.)

This is also my first convertible, and I'm loving it. While it wouldn't appear to be a direct competitor to the C70, as it is a very different type of car, it fit the bill for me.

Getting back to the Solara vs. the Sebring, I also test drove the Solara and hated it. The fiddly convertible top cover would drive me nuts (you have to lean over the side of the car and mess around with a little plastic holder thing to attach the tonneau cover), and then the driving experience just didn't do anything for me.

With convertibles, you can slice and dice the comparisons in many different ways. Four seaters: Solara, Sebring, C70, VW Beetle, Audi. Fun to drive: Porsche, Boxster, Nissan, BMW. Less than $40k: Solara, Sebring, sometimes the 350Z, depending on equipment, etc. Hard-tops... well, you get the idea. You can mix and match to suit your preferences.

It's important to test-drive from as many groups as meet your priorities. You might be surprised what you end up liking and buying.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238
    What do you mean by not a beast like the old c70? :confuse:
    larger

didn't mean it "negatively"
    yes, yes, true true

I start thinking I can make do with a roadster, then I get practical and want 4 seats, then I get really practical and want 4 doors....and then all hell breaks loose.
    I completly understand cross-shopping the Z with the C70, though it can be argued that the driver who prefers the Z is not the intended driver of the C70 (and perhaps vice-versa). They are very different droptops, intended for very different audiences.

I have cross-shopped many "different" vehicles. Sometimes even a coupe is in the mix with a convertible.

another car to add in this mix: a used Lexus sc430, eh?
    I've always been interested in a convertible but nobody in my family has ever owned one...in a temperate climate such as the northeast, how many "convertible days" out of the year could I expect? I'd feel safe with the hardtop during those cold winter months, but when I want to drop the top, during the spring/summer/autumn months how often I really gonna be able to get what I paid for?
    I know people who've gotten rid of convertibles around here because it's been too hot some days in the summer to drop the top and they can only get their money's worth on a warm day. Maybe they're just too picky...anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Price wise, you could add a used sc430. They would still run on the higher end of the spectrum compared to these because they don't depreciate too drastically. However, they are much more luxourious than the afforementioned droptops and aren't truly 4-seaters. My father had been interested in one because he absolutely loved the look (inside and out). But the two back seats are for, as the salesman put it, for bags from "Neiman Markus". The literally brush up against the front seat. After my dad realized that he didn't even bother test driving it as it would be too impractical for him. It's also been quite awhile for that body style, I'm sure they've been workin on a replacement.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    We acquired a convertible this past November.... It is my wife's primary car...

She gets cold very easily... But, still... I'd estimate that she has had the top down 20-25 days since April 1st.. This is in the Cincinnati area...

Even in the evening when it is cool... leave the windows up, turn on the heated seats and the heater.... It is very nice...

I knew that I would put the top down a lot, when I got the chance... It has surprised me how often she drops it, though... It could be because it is new to us... Maybe next spring, it will be old hat.. But, I don't think so.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

well, i'm going to give a different opinion than kyfdx. I have a convertible in my garage and find that I drive it VERY little. As you said, its either too hot or too cold. I think a hardtop convertible is a great compromise.

I guess the difference is I have to make a conscious choice in the morning to take my drop-top for the day. There have been some days I'm heading home from work and thinking that putting the top down would be nice ... but I'm in the wrong car. So I suppose if a convertible were my only vehicle, things would be quite different and I might find it more "worth it."

I live in Connecticut and my daily commuter is a red 1999 VW Cabrio with black leather and it has 175,000 miles on it. I don't keep count on how many times I put the top down a year but when it's nice out and the top is down its priceless. Basically if it's warm and not raining then the top is down. The absolute best is driving under the stars and the moon on a warm humid night with the top down. I never drive with the top down and the windows up - that is just way too dorky and people who do so should be ticketed for being dorks. I will however drive with the top down and the heat or AC on if necessary. I’ve got a couple of wind breakers for the Mrs. or any other complainer.

You have to make compromises with every vehicle and a convertible adds a few more compromises. What are the compromises? Noise, space and security are the dominant ones in my mind. If you have an issue with any of those then maybe another car is more appropriate.

We've have a C70 on order and we will alternate between it and the Cabrio for as long as our Cabrio lives. We plan on laying up the C70 during the winter but if we hit the point of no return with mileage then it will become the daily commuter just like the Cabrio did.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    Well.... it is my wife's only car... I guess that makes a difference... One car for her, one for me... So, someone is always driving it...

If it is a third car, then, I agree, you might not use it so much... If it is your daily commuter, you'll get a lot of use out of the convertible, IMO..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

my daily commuter is a convertible

the "rookies" are the ones who put the roof down at noon. Noon is the worst time for a convertible, unless you LIKE being blasted by the sun. I enjoy the roof down on the drive to work and from work - basically any time other than noon-2 or so.

(I keep my windows up because when I am on the freeway, and when I am playing my music loud and I want to give people a slight break. I fugure it's a bit louder if I have my windows down. But I KNOW I am a dork. :-) )

I agree that the best time for a convertible is a warm, humid night - something the northeast gets a lot (and something the part of the SF Bay Area where I live gets very little of)
  • blamb3blamb3 Member Posts: 41
    I live in the midwest and have driven a convertible for 20 years. Currently driving a Saab, with an 07 C70 on order. I have the top down alot - there is an inner feeling that overcomes me when the top goes down - sort of a combination of freedom and exhiliration. Most women do get cold faster and more often than men. My wife wanted the top up most of the time I resolved that situation 15 years ago by making her my ex-wife. I've enjoyed top down driving ever since and even use my convertible as a dating screening device - if they want the top up I accomodate them all the way back to their home where I never again darken their doorway again.
    I think the most important and convenient thing to have on a convertible is the completely automatic top. I used to have an Audi tt and I didn't bother putting the top down on short trips, with the Saab I use the top as often as a person uses a sun roof.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238
    I, too, usually drive with the windows up. I smoke a pipe and if I smoke and drive with the windows down, usually my shirt gets a hole burnt in it. I have Volvo's wind blocker/screen which does a fantastic job of "controlling" the wind. It's expensive, and should be standard, but worth it for two reasons. First, the wife now suggests going topless, and second, it extends the driving comfort year round. With the butt warmers, and heater on high, 40 degree weather is not bad. You do get strange looks from other cars, but so what. In the summer, I agree midday is never pleasant, but any other time, isn't bad. For me, usually if there's no liquid sunshine falling, the top is down :shades:
    I do wish my current convert. had seat heaters. I'm looking forward to them in whatever is my next car.

I need to talk to my wife about going topless. Maybe I should also get tinted windows.....

:blush:
    I completly understand cross-shopping the Z with the C70, though it can be argued that the driver who prefers the Z is not the intended driver of the C70 (and perhaps vice-versa). They are very different droptops, intended for very different audiences.

See, this is where I think that "niche marketing" is not really the end-all for what consumers want. What I wanted was a convertible that felt safe, offered a certain degree of luxury appointments, had at least some storage space in the trunk, and would be fun to drive. A 4-seater offered (I thought) a little more practicality. I THOUGHT the C70 would do all that.

However, come the moment - the C70 just fell down on the fun to drive aspect by a whole lot, and didn't score all that high on practicality, either, considering the contortions you have to go through to put anything in the trunk, and the fact that the rear seat is a tight fit under the best of circumstances. And when I realized how rarely I'd need the back seat anyway, there just weren't enough compelling reasons to get me to buy it.

The Z (Touring model, with leather heated seats, good sound system, excellent handling, good storage space for its size) offers everything I really wanted. I just didn't know that until I drove it!

So that's why I say drive as many cars as you think might fit the bill. You could be surprised, as I was.
    so, you really really need storage, so the c70 doesn't work?

did you ever consider that the back seat of the c70 IS storage space?

there is no question that the c70 is more practical than the Z.

am sure the Z is wayyyy more fun to drive
    In all reality, the C70 has very little true competition. The only other hardtop convertible that seats four is the G6 and that vehicle does not compare to the C70 favorably (expect in price).

Soon there will be the Eos, BMW 3 series and a rumored Lexus IS, but we will have to wait to see those.

As far as comparing it to the Z or any other high end sports car, I think that would be like comparing apples and oranges. In the same breath, one cannot truly compare it to other soft tops.

Has anyone got a price list for the extended warranties that will be offered?

I have my deposit and my confidence in the C70, and I believe that anything is different might benefit from a long term warranty.
    I've read several of your posts regarding your purchase. I've only seen you mention test driving the C70 and 350Z though. Were those the only convertibles you tested? If you wanted something a little more practical with a little more thrill did you look into the 3-series or A4? The only other reason I could think of is that you didn't truly care about the 4 seats and just thought it would be a cool idea to have a hardtop. I'm sure that's gotta be one of the most appealing aspects of this car to most people.
    While this may be quite irrevelant, what are everyones' thoughts on the interior? I like it because it's neat and clean and seems very modern, but for a near-luxury car (which is what I assume it's classfied as), isn't wood trim more common? That seems like something I'd expect from a car trying to compete with the likes of the 3-series and A4. Just some thoughts, but maybe I don't understand these things cuz I still can't drive yet.
    "so, you really really need storage, so the c70 doesn't work?

did you ever consider that the back seat of the c70 IS storage space?
    "

No, I don't consider the back seat as "storage," because I wouldn't want to mess up the leather seats by putting a small suitcase or something like that on it. Seats are seats; storage is storage. And never the twain shall meet! ;)

All I needed was enough space for either several bags of groceries, or a weekend suitcase and tote bag. I found the Z trunk to be more accessible than the C70 trunk, and to be enough for my needs. I actually took my weekend suitcases with me to the dealer for the second test drive, and made sure they would easily fit!

Plus the Z has a pretty neat series of cubby-holes; a very large one behind the passenger with a lot of room, and two sort of mini-glove boxes. They give me enough space, all together.

"I've only seen you mention test driving the C70 and 350Z though. Were those the only convertibles you tested? If you wanted something a little more practical with a little more thrill did you look into the 3-series or A4?"

I also test drove the Solara, and instantly hated it, so haven't mentioned it much. I'm not interested in buying a German car, for various reasons - the Audi dealers around here have terrible reputations for service, and the BMW just isn't for me.
  • hsmolinhsmolin Member Posts: 20
    Biancar, I read your original message about buying the 350Z when my Volvo dealer was letting me know that the original arrival date for my C70 was delayed another couple of weeks. I went to look at the 350Z convertible and just couldn't see myself in the ragtop and I had trouble getting in and out of the coupe.

Your suggestion did lead me to the Infiniti G35 Coupe, thanks. As you probably know, the Infiniti G35 coupe is the 350Z's big brother, better dressed, more luxury and a back seat.

Wow!!!!! Loved it, bought it and couldn't be happier....
    The thrill of driving is back! The best way to describe the difference in drive between the G35 coupe and my traded in 2003 SAAB 93 convertible is that it feels like all the other vehicles are moving in slow motion.

To all the other Volvo C70 potential buyers. The Volvo C70 is gorgeous, luxurious, safe and probably very reliable. I'll be jealous whenever I see one on the road with its top down. Good luck and I'll be checking it out again in a few years when it's time to give up the G35.

One word of advise to large footed golfers wanting a C70. Check if your clubs will fit with the top down and whether the close proximity of the gas and brake will bother you.
    if someone really wants a car, they will have no trouble putting their golf clubs in the front passenger seat

picking a Z over the C70 because of the driving experience is one thing - completely valid. Picking a Z over a C70 because of storage limitations is just lame and not rational. It is a post-hoc rationalization permitting which a person uses to convince himself that he made the decision based on some "objective" factor, rather than whatever factor was actually used.

shopping bags can't go in the back seat?
    a briefcase is going to mar the leather seats? (of course, ANY car's trunk will fit a "briefcase" so that wouldn't really NEED to go in the backseat)
    Looks like one dealer is selling their demo and the other is selling the right to buy one.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Volvo actually makes a cover for the rear seats on the new C70 so you won't damage the leather.

Obviously the poster bought the 350Z for 2 reasons, 1 because she got a great deal on the car and would have had to pay list for the C70, 2 she liked the driving experience on the Z better.

When it coems to cars we all have different tastes and expectations. That is why there is not one single "perfect" car for everyone.
    We recently traded for a 350Z convert(people got a Volvo wagon believe it or not) I for one was underwhelmed by the car. Like most canvas topped cars, it looks alot better w/ the top down than up. The interior seemed to plastickly and japanese to me. Handling was good and it seemed quite responsive. I would rather drive a BMW Z4 or a Boxter if I was looking for that kind of convertible. Or even a Honda S2000 if I was going japanese.
    Your suggestion did lead me to the Infiniti G35 Coupe, thanks. As you probably know, the Infiniti G35 coupe is the 350Z's big brother, better dressed, more luxury and a back seat.

Wow!!!!! Loved it, bought it and couldn't be happier....
    The thrill of driving is back!

Wow, good for you! This is exactly what I meant by driving everything that might fit the bill for you; you just never know until you try it.

Interesting that for you, the top-down factor turned out to be not as important as the fun to drive and elegant factors were. Everyone is different, and sometimes we don't even know our own priorities until we tweak them a little bit by driving and comparing different cars.

I agree with you, by the way, about the close proximity of the gas and brake pedals in the C70. For me, a woman, it wasn't a problem, but I could see it sure might be for my brother-in-law with his size 14 feet, for instance.
    picking a Z over the C70 because of the driving experience is one thing - completely valid. Picking a Z over a C70 because of storage limitations is just lame and not rational.

I think you're missing my larger point. As Volvomax said (although reversing my priorities), I bought the Z MAINLY because of the more fun driving experience, and secondarily because of the great deal I got on it.

The storage space was a consideration, of course, and I found it *sufficient* in the Z to meet my needs. It wasn't the primary reason, just a supporting factor. Had it been *not* sufficient, I would have continued looking for something else. It was secondary to the "wow, this is a blast to drive!" reaction, though.

Also, I want to be clear I'm not dissing the C70 at all. It's a beautiful car. Someone asked up above what people thought about the interior. I liked that it wasn't all tarted up with wood grain this and that - the interior struck me as attractive, and well laid out for the most part. One little thing I noticed was that with the location of the ignition high on the stalk, my hand struck the windshield wiper control button when I was trying to turn the ignition off. I guess an owner would get used to it but I'll bet a lot of people will brush that windshield wiper control when inserting or taking out the ignition key.

But that's minor. Overall I thought the interior was well done. People who buy the C70 for reasons that fit their own lives I'm sure will be happy with it. I was surprised that it just didn't spark that "wow, gotta have it!" reaction in me, since I'd been waiting for it to come out for more than a year, since I first sat in the (old) C70 at the Washington car show.

But, you know, that's life. If you've ever fallen in love with someone totally unexpectedly - well, that's just the joy of living, some emotions just can't be predicted!
    wait a sec - now you are comparing your Z purchase to falling in love with someone unexpectedly?

Good thing you didn't drive a Porsche or a Z4. You'd be pregnant with twins by now.

;)

(If you are gonna fallin love with a roadster, then fall in love with one that is "worth it.")

(I'm not saying it is not a good car for the money)
  • agarretttxagarretttx Member Posts: 8
    I have had my C70 for a few weeks now. I am still loving it. The brake/gas pedal closeness is probably my only concern (a lot of times I drive barefoot because shoe gets in the way). I still have some manual reading to do though - lots of things I still haven't figured out how to do.
    I do find it funny that biancar still hangs out in a volvo discussion bragging on a 350Z - sounds sometime like you are trying to convince yourself that a Z is better than a C.
    I have a litte bit of envy as I am looking forward to mine getting delivered. I have been thinking about the brake pedal issue and is the actual pedal part removable from the brake pedal arm?

If so then a simple modification to the pedal attachment or a different (possibly custom pedal) could solve all issues?

What color did you get?

p.s. Good point about this being a C70 forum and not something else.
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    The purpose of this forum is to share information and ideas. I, like biancar, invested 9 months and put a deposit down on a car that I fell in love with its looks but sadly, drove like a slug. People are coming here for information. Maybe Volvo will provide a better engine in the future and improve the handling and I can consider it in the future. Once I test drive my Eos, I can provide feedback on the competition that is out there--information that other potention C70 buyers can use.
    and information is power
  • blamb3blamb3 Member Posts: 41
    The accelerator and brake are close together on my Saab, I'm wondering if their placement is the same as on the Volvo or if the placement is even closer on the Volvo? The only time the close placement is an issue on my Saab is winter time when I have found wearing winter boots a safety hazard - otherwise no problem.

I'm also curious about the wide variance in opinions on the C70 ride and handling. I would hope that most individuals were not expecting the Volvo C70 to handle like a sports car. Common sense would tell you that the car would be less fast than the previous C70 - same engne more weight.

As for turbo lag I would expect a LITTLE on any turbo engine, to me that's a small trade off for better gas mileage. I haven't yet had a C70 to drive but my guess is I'll be thrilled - but my expectation is that I'll be driving a competent cruiser not a sports car. I have a friend who drives an 04 C70, reviews indicate that this is an awful car with terrible cowl shake - my friend thinks it's a great car. I know it's all in the eye of the beholder but my guess is that the individuals who don't like the new C 70 were expecting a BMW in Volvo clothing.
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    Blamb3, I think you hit the nail on the head for me. When I put my deposit down on the C70, I was expecting the performance of at least my 3 year old 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Cabriolet in Volvo Clothing, and that did not happen. If Volvo wants part of this niche market, it has to be able to run with the boys. There is no reason it should not be able to catch up with competitor's technology in 3 years--or surpass. Turbo lag in my Audi is minimal and with the 2.0T due this fall in both the A4 Cab and the Eos, the germans have made another leap.
  • mitchs5mitchs5 Member Posts: 8
    I took a C70 for a spin last week. Very comfortable, though I felt a bit underpowered. I currently am driving an 02 BMW 330i, and will wait for the new BMW 328 retractable hardtop, which likely will have more power and probable not cost much more. Also all the dealer had was an automatic C70, and not 6 speed manual, so that might make some difference. The Dynaudio sounded great, but $1500 is a steep price to pay for an upgraded sound system for a convertible. Has anyone heard the standard sound system in this car?
  • heymjoheymjo Member Posts: 8
    I see references to other manufacturers coming out with hard top convertibles. Does anyone know when BMW will be introducing theirs? Is it this coming year or is it years down the road?
This discussion has been closed.