Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Convertible - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    that Volvo could build TWO convertibles? A C50/C30 and a C70/C90?
  • volvo4lifnalvolvo4lifnal Member Posts: 16
    See www.Volvocars.us for Volvo's information on the new convertible C70. The link in the lower right hand corner.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Wouldn't be a bad idea.

A C90 could move upmarket and compete with the SC430, XLR, 6 series, Mercedes SLK.

And the C70 could stay with the Mercedes CLK, BMW 3 series, Audi A4.

Although why is it called the C70 when it is based off the S40/V50? C50 would be better.
  • empty1empty1 Member Posts: 109
    intial information, pics and forum are out on sweedspeed. like the way it looks, little underpowered for my taste, interior shots look downscale somewhat... could use AWD to compete against Audi, I guess I'll just have to see it in person. :P
    an AWD convertible. But if they build it, I guess someone will buy it.
    Audi sells AWD convertibles with larger engines than what Volvo plans ....it costs more and is not hard top but it does have a nicer interior from what I see. :shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    Maybe we could change the title to this thread?

I think they are using C70, as they already have a coupe/convertible with that designation... Priced above $40K... So, the new one will look like a bargain, even though it is based on a smaller vehicle..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    the new C70 is shorter than the prior, I believe, but it is not smaller: interior dimensions are the same as the existing.

at least that's my recollection from listening to a bunch of Volvo guys
    True... a smaller car, but interior room is as large as previous model, due to better packaging...

I'd say this is true of almost every new model that comes out, in general... Every succeeding generation seems to have more interior room than the last..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I have seen the new vehicle in person. While no official specs were offered, it appeared to be comparable to the interior space in the previous generation C70. It would appear that the car will be comparable to the old car in size and price. I regards to the performance, it will have the 218 turbo 5 cyl. it won't be a rocket ship, but it isn't designed to take on the M3 conv or the AMG SLK.
    How did the interior look, is it comparable to the nice interior of an s60r or more like the S40 ... I heard that the interior was nothing special, not a lot of contrasting materials and colors... thanks
    The interior seemed to be a carbon copy of the S40. (the 2006 ones I mean)
    Obviously there are going to be similarities in the S40 and C70 interiors. The slim console for one. The gauges. There are also differences. Some evident, some subtle. Keep in mind that the door panels have to be different due to the addition of the side curtain airbags in the door instead of the headliner. With the higher pricepoint, I would expect higher quality materials. Study the pics on the Volvocars site, If you know the S40, you will notice differences.
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    Here's another video, also showing how the roof opens.

http://www.autowereld.com/nieuwsbericht.asp?artikel=2393&pa=&fr=1

the roof opening is at about 55 seconds in
    Wow... does that roof mechanism seem overly complicated or what?

Anyone else see future alignment/sealing problems?

Pretty nifty, though... would make a nice show at stoplights... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Does anyone know whether Sirius radio will be offered on the new c70
    We all know this new Volvo convertible will be called the Volvo V70, so in light of this can you please change the name of this thread? Thanks.

Volvo C70 at the Frankfurt Auto Show.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow/articles/107049/page018.html?tid=edmunds.e.autoshow..- leftnav.19.*
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238
    We all know this new Volvo convertible will be called the Volvo V70, so in light of this can you please change the name of this thread? Thanks.

Think you meant C70, not V70.
    "Think you meant C70, not V70."

Yeah, sorry I did mean C70.

Sorry for any confusion.
  • 10scoachrick10scoachrick Member Posts: 74
    Dang! I went outside to drop the top on our V70! Must be the older model! :cry:
    First I thought the car would come in AWD version and then with satt. radio. Sadly I confirmed this will not be the case for either. Oh well it looks like I'm on to Audi....
  • c3po33c3po33 Member Posts: 67
    My friend has a 2003 C70 and really wants a new one, but will not buy one without a Nav. All the pictures I've see show no Nav screen or room for a Nav. Does anybody have any offical word if the 2006 C70 will have Nav or not? Thanks.
    I'm more concerned about the lack of AWD and sirius, having said that I purchased a portable nav for my S80 (TomTom GO 300). Works well and is easy to attach to your windshield and remove and obviously you can more it car to car ... system very easy to learn... I wonder if anyone knows if they will pre-wire car for sattellite so you can have someone else install (although installation might be tricky with all those moving roof/trunk pieces.
  • avatexrs1avatexrs1 Member Posts: 63
    Per Volvo's website:

"Pricing has not been announced, but the all-new C70 is expected to have a base price of about $39,000."

http://www.volvocars.us/Showroom/newC70/News/
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I really like the appearance of this car, perhaps we will see a R' version ?????
    The Audio system and cool retracting convertible top is the highlights of this otherwise neat car. :)
  • bonsbons Member Posts: 45
    Yes C70 will have Navigation System - optional
  • cardfancardfan Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a convertible and love the volvo c70. I am debating on buying a used low mileage 04 c70 or waiting for the 06. I like the interior of the 04(lots of room) and have not seen the 06. I can purchase an 04 with low mileage (less than 20k) for around $30k. Any thoughts . . .?
    Personally I would wait for the new model. The old C70 while attractive had a harsh and sloppy ride. The new model is more rigid and the ride should be better.
  • cardfancardfan Member Posts: 2
    What is the actual roll out date of the 06? I've heard spring of 06. The new 06 c70 looks similar to the Audi. Is the interior going to have as much room as the 04's? And how about the roof, you think it's going to have maintenance problems? I know those guys in Sweden engineer things to death, but I am a bit skeptical of the the tri-folding hardtop roof. Looks cool, but will it work keep working after warranty?
    You are right to be concerned. I have a 99 s80 (first year of prodcution) that has cost me mucho... Although Volvos are safe and now attractive they are not that reliable. If you go with Volvo I would recommend an extended warranty to 100k miles otherwise I would go with a Japanese built car. I believe they are scheduled to be in dealerships in April '06. I like the car, seems like it will have adequate room for four. I would have preferred a little more power, all wheel drive and satellite radio but otherwise I think its a pretty sweet car.
    Will it have a voice recognition system along with that Navi.????.....does anyone know if this car will feature a high performance version like a "R" Model ???
    AC/ventilated seats ??? AWD ????

If Delphi ends up screwing over the UAW, I really like this car enough to actually buy one.....(I can't believe I'm saying this) only if it has alot of features and performance for the $$$$.
    Have you heard any rumors of a "R" version with all-wheel drive being offered ????
  • paulh1paulh1 Member Posts: 6
    I like the new look also, but I was told by my sales guy at Volvo that it will be around 45k.It will only offer 1 engine, unlike the previous which offered a low pressure turbo, vs a high pressue, more spunky engine. I had an 04 HTP built for me and took delivery in Aug 04. It looks just like the one in the picture here. Light blue but with black top and charcoal leather. Since Volvo built the sky blue with light grey interior and blue top, I ordered it special and it looked much better than the blue top, grey int. I was told that it may be the only color combo built and sold here (i find that hard to believe)

Anyway, I started driving our other house car, a Miata and liked the roadster feel so much, that I am now thinking about selling the volvo and buying a saturn sky.(I gave the miata to my college daughter)

My volvo has 15k miles and does not have a scratch, nick or dent anywhere, so if interested, give me a buzz.

Volvo makes one of the best cars I have ever owned, I like it better than my 02 325 convert, more luxury and more comfort, but I got tricked by the sales guy who told be it was 4y 48k PLUS full maintain such as oil, brakes etc, "just like BMW, and when I went in last week to get the wiper blades replaced, they charged me for them , and informed me that the full maint was only for oil / filter and scheduled stuff. The full deal was only for 1 year, so I sorta feel like the warranty is no better than a gm or chrysler.

Overall, never a problem in the 2 plus years I owned this car, and despite the service warranty, they are great to deal with. I would suggest Volvo to anyone who asked.
    Ouch!!

I'd say most models on the lot will be around $45K..

Hope the lease deals are good!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

my local volvo dealer told me that Sirius will be offered on the new c70. Look for the announcement in December ;)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,929
    you can now build and price the new C70 on the volvo site.

I'm disappointed to see them calling a 218 hp version the T5. Should be the 2.5T to keep in line with the S60 model with the same engine. The T5 should be 257 hp, like the S60 T5 (then again, i guess since the S40 T5 is 218, that's what they are going by?? But how much sense does a T5 model make when there is nothing below it to make it seem like the high-performance version?? AND, of course, that begs the question ... if its in the S40s class, can a buyer justify a $10K+ premium for 2 less doors and a folding top??).

With climate and premium packages, its over $42K. Pretty pricey, if you ask me. Inevitable discounting by the end of next year will probably bring it down to the higher $30s ($37-$38), which will be a bit more reasonable, but I still think the lack of a true T5 could hurt it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Of course... if there were "truth in labeling", they would call it the C40 or C50, as it is based on the S40, not the S60, like the previous version... So, I guess since it is based on the S40, it is the model name that is wrong, not the T5 part of it?

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

yeah, i'd be placated either way. It should be the C50 T5 or the C70 2.5T.

Of course, I'd PREFER a C70 T5 with 257 hp. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Actually, I think it should be a lot better car than the previous C70... which was never all that popular... I'm surprised that they didn't change the nomenclature to C40 or C50.... just to distance themselves from the old model..

But, then again, it might be hard to charge $45K for the "C40", when the S40 tops out at $35K...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I can sort of see the argument for distancing the new car from the old ... however, its not like there was anything wrong with the old C70, so I don't think its necessary. Its poor popularity, IMHO, had more to do with lack of advertising than anything else. Even towards the end of its run, I still met people who said "i didn't know volvo made a convertible."

Its still going to be a tough sell at that price, i think. $40k+ is right there in 3-series convertible range.

• dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Ah, but isn't the new s60 to be based on the s40 as well?

I don't know, if volvo prices itself into 325ci range... I know what i'm going to pick...
    Most 325ci convertibles are $45K and up... You'd really have to get a stripper to end up in the $41K-$42K range..

The 330Cic's are generally $50K+

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I get 39.6K for sport & cold weather. 42K with premium and xenon too.

I don't really want the automatic. ;)

dave
    Sport, cold weather and manual is stripped for a 3-series convertible...

I wasn't talking about people like us.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

For $44K you could also get a 9-3 Aero convertible, albeit its a soft top.

At least its far cheaper than the $$$ BMW wants for a 330Ci.
    Speaking of price comparisons...

I was checking out the leftover '05 330Ci convertibles.. Most MSRP for $49K, and that is very well equipped.. There are also quite a few at $53K, and those have the performance package...

But, where the price becomes competitive with the Saabs and Volvos is through leasing...

This month, on leftover '05 330Cic... The money factor is only .001, the residual is 63% for 3yr/36K, and BMW is giving the dealer $2000 on every one sold..

You could lease that $49K BMW 330Ci convertible for $550/mo. with just the minimal upfront costs.. That is what Saab and Volvo will have a hard time matching..

Of course, the cash buyer could care less about this..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

But isn't the 330Ci cheaper than the CLK320 anyways?
    It's sort-of tough to compare point-for-point. If the c70 had a softtop, i think it'd be very hard, for me at least, to choose it over either the saab or bmw 'verts. Less power, room, etc. Question is, what is the hardtop worth? Is it a gimmick, or does it improve ride, noise, etc?

Is the BMW vert discounted because its in line for an upgrade?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,723
    Yes, rumor is that the '07 BMW 3 Convertible will be a hard top. VW Eos, Pontiac G6, (rumored?) Lexus IS are all coming hard top convertibles, so much potential competition (which is just great news! Competition works!) for the C70.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

This discussion has been closed.