Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion Owners: Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• scatsscats Member Posts: 11
    hi my name is frank just purchased a 2006 scion xb love it
  • boyceboyce Member Posts: 48
    I've been reading you comments throughout the xb discussions. I'm considering an xb for my next vehicle. What rpm are you experiencing at 70 mph? Do you consider this excessive? I don't like to hear an engine sound like its ready to start throwing parts through the hood when I'm cruising the interstates. Any comments from you or others about this would be appreciated. Thanks

2015 Mazda 3 Skyactive 6spd. auto 2008 Mazda Tribute S 4spd auto.

• xeroglockxeroglock Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    Im Brian I just bought a Brand new 2007 Scion TC Silver 5spd
    just wanted to say whats up.
  • canuck785canuck785 Member Posts: 160
    i test drove an xB this summer. after reading so many times about the engine being loud at 60 mph and feeling it was about to explode, well I was paying attention!! ;) and after driving it at 70 mph + it was fine IMO. ok, it doesn.t purr like a sport car but i was not worried about it. my husband, (he is a mechanic BTW) said it was normal for this car and that would not keep him from getting it.
    also, i might add that it went to 50-60 mph pretty fast, without me noticing it. very roomy and confortable to drive. when u sit in it, it feel like a big SUV inside !!! :) the only thing i dont like about the scion is their color choices...they are kinda boring..i would like to see brighter colors.
    Thank you for the feedback. I have not tried an Xb yet but was not sure if I could stand hearing the engine wound up on the highway. I had a car like that once and I got rid of it for that reason. (that was an 88 Mazda 323 stripper with a four speed.) What does the abbreviation IMO stand for? Please excuse my lack of knowledge for computer shorthand. Thank you for your reply! Bud

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I.M.O. = In My Opinion

I,M.H.O. = In My Humble Opinion
  • canuck785canuck785 Member Posts: 160
    no problem!

it all comes down to what you NEED. the xB has room to spare, is cheap on gas, has an excellent resale value and is made by toyota but you wont be drag racing anywhere but in your driveway ;)
    from what i read online, i'd say that xb owners are pleased with it and are praising it.
    i drove both tranny and logically, the stick one had more pep but the auto was very pleasant.
    go try one, this car has a lot to offer!
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "... What rpm are you experiencing at 70 mph? Do you consider this excessive? I don't like to hear an engine sound like its ready to start throwing parts through the hood when I'm cruising the interstates...."

Sorry, did not get back to this thread. For a manual transmission in 5th gear, divide the mph by 2 to get the rpm. So 70 mph is 3500 rpm. The automatic turns about 500 rpm less at 70 mph.

What does excessive mean? The 5-speed ratios are optimized for the use anticipated. If 5th gear was 500 rpm less at 70, the car would be a little under-geared like the automatic, and less peppy. If a 6th gear was added, it would only be good for cruising on level ground, and would add greatly to the cost of the car. If you want lower-rpm cruising, with less noise and more mpg, get the automatic. But it is not as lively a car to drive.

If excessive means bad for the engine, the xB engine with its variable valve timing is made for high rpms. It is redlined at 6500 rpm, yet is the size of several motorcycle engines that redline at 9000 rpm. An xB tech manual says the xB's max sustained cruising speed is 90 mph, with a top speed of 103 mph. So 3500 rpm at 70 mph is nothing for the engine.
    Thank you for your reply. Yes you nailed it, when an engine is turning high revs, I do worry about abusing it. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Going to do test drive tomorrow. Thanks again, Bud

• guitarman1guitarman1 Member Posts: 1
    As the proud owner of an 2006 Scion Xb, I highly
    recommend your getting one. If you don't need a rear spoiler
    and other pretty but unnecessary things, get the basic auto tranny model which is $15,440.00 + tax, etc.
    How good is it......let me put it this way...my wife wants mine and I'm looking forward to the 2007 model to come out
    or...even better....in the spring they'll be coming out with a T2B model which is really neat.
    Go for it!!!!
  • xxavxxxxavxx Member Posts: 6
    I'm a not so new owner (I think!). I brought my 2006 Scion xA in September and have been having fun ever since. The only thing that is a bummer is the horrible traffic in the DC Metro Area but late night driving is something I always look forward to. I plan to mod my car appearance-wise soon enough :)
  • vazquezavazqueza Member Posts: 2
    My 06 tC has been my baby since May of 06. She's a white 5-speed that hasn't disappointed me yet.

The only minor issues I've had are the rattle when the moon-roof is open and some idiot I gave a ride to knocked off the passenger-side interior light right off of it's peg. I'm taking it in this week to have them looked at.
  • toasterfantoasterfan Member Posts: 1
    Bought my '06 xB three weeks ago, a basic Thundercloud automatic. Absolutely love it! If you have back problems, it's easy to enter and exit, firm seats and upright posture are great. Have met several other owners at the dealer and we're all 50+ years old. Sorry kids.
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    Am 6"-2" and had a disk operation 35 years ago. I liked the easy in and out that my Mazda truck gave me for 16 years. When it came time to get a car, the xB was the only car that had that same ease of entry. Just step in and step out.
    On my wife's big LeSabre, I have to fall into it and crawl out of it. When my back is acting up, it can be torture.
  • girlbuffalo1girlbuffalo1 Member Posts: 16
    I bought the new 2008 xB 5/19 and freaking love it (although of course it has been less than a week)--I got black sand pearl, automatic with the upgraded stereo--really fabulous car. I understand a lot of old xB owners are sat at Scion/Toyota's "Betrayal" of the old style--but please give it a try--it feels really luxerious (maybe that is what they are mad about)? Anyways love my new car that just rolled off trucks last week and don't think I would trade it for that new Element that I also test drove! LOL!
  • chargedfemalechargedfemale Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my brand new 08 scion tc.. I could not love it any more.. I bought it about 9 days ago and its been in the shop getting extras added on for about 4 days... my first 5 speed and I ADORE IT!
  • rockymaxrockymax Member Posts: 1
    Congrats on your new TC! I am selling my beloved Miata to my cousin(and having an emotional breakdown over the sale of my baby even though it was my choice!!)and planning to buy a 2008 TC. What color car did you buy? I started looking at them about 6 months ago and had finally decided on the Azure Pearl, only to find it is not available for 2008. The new Waveline Pearl is a pretty color, but I don't think I like it on the TC. I'm leaning toward the white now. I'm also curious what accessories you added? There are so many available . . . I'm just trying to get a feel for what owners in the real world are liking. Thanks for any feedback you can offer.
  • 08xb08xb Member Posts: 2
    i traded a nissan pathfinder for a 2008 xb. the xb is black,with the spoiler,scion rims,rear sway bar,after market stereo,amp,cap,and subwoofer.the car looks, sounds,and handles great.averaging about 27 mpg in mixed driving.i also looked at the element,fit,versa as well.i liked the fit but thought it looked too much like a b car.the xb has kind of a japanese pt cruiser look to it which probably clinched the deal for me.anyone else picked an xb?
  • bandit109bandit109 Member Posts: 2
    I tested the Fit (every bump noticeable), the Versa (a nice ride), and bought the x/b. Why? I have wanted a Scion since they first came out. I like the concept even though I don't fit their demographics (over 50). So far I have only gotten to take the test drive. I pick up the Silver Streak tomorrow.
  • 08xb08xb Member Posts: 2
    good luck with the silver streak,i love mine.i'm 48 so i don't fit the demographic either,but they are happy to sell you the car.
  • george303george303 Member Posts: 10
    will keep you all in touch , any one else out there. live in n.y.city
  • sactoericsactoeric Member Posts: 4
    I'm Eric, owner of a NBM 2008 Scion xB ...loving it so far :)
  • demonbunnymandemonbunnyman Member Posts: 1
    Hey Brian Looks like you got time to put cash into your car but not pay a 3 year old debt.... nice excuses you keep giving me...
  • rdelucchirdelucchi Member Posts: 6
    I'm Randy, I've got about 2,100 miles on my 08 xB. CSM, stick, XM.
  • lianweizhilianweizhi Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone!

I've just bought my '08 Crimson Mica tC (automatic) last Saturday, October 13, and I still walk backwards to work!

It's the first new car I've owned and I've been very happy with it so far.
  • wapswaps Member Posts: 19
    Add rear stabilizer. Tie your shock towers together, they make a goodie for that. Turbo not needed with the 150 hp they run in 08 uless you want to look really cool and have a spare 4 grand...This baby screams.
  • sherm7sherm7 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an xd a week ago and love it. At 54 I don't fit the demographic but I'm a working musician around the Cleveland area (www.jeffsherman.net) and I think its a great little gig vehicle. Perfect for hauling my little solo pa rig. I traded out of my trusty old Jeep Cherokee mostly because the 14mpg was eating into my earnings. I suppose I could have lived with that but then when the a/c evaporator gave out that clinched it. (So I'm a wimp.)

Anyway ... greetings. Looking forward to learning more about Scions here on the forum.

Jeff
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    I've had the car for exactly 1/2 day. It looks sooo cool. Anything I really should know about it right now? It's a manual tranny, which I wanted, but my shifting is terrible. Will this improve? Seems like the clutch engages RIGHT NOW. Is this normal? I'm used to being pampered with the '06 Azera. Now, I'm back to "Seat of your pants" driving and am kinda lovin it. I think Scion pricing is kinda goofy. Floor mats optional? Anyone agree?
    I'm 65 when I bought my 08 Scion Xb. automatic trans. Best thing I've ever done. Talk about no back problems. Easy in easy out. Large seat. Lots of room. Gas milage 33.1 mpg last trip I took over 100 miles. Gonna buy one more at the end of the year. Give this one to my son for his company car.
    STRUT BAR eliminates front end/suspension movement. Shock towers stay put like they're supposed to. Should be no problems with windshied cracks etc. due to body movement. You will feel it in your wallet if you remove stut bar.
  • br134br134 Member Posts: 2
    I do not get good gas mileage from my scion. down to 23mpg in city???
    Change your air cleaner element. Something most people don't even think about. Very important to at least knock the chunks out of it but better to replace with high quality cleaner element. Then check it every few thousand miles. Will make huge difference. :)
  • br134br134 Member Posts: 2
    thank you. I have a new air filter, but I will see about a new element.
  • lvboxmanlvboxman Member Posts: 2
    My name is Manny I have a 2006.5 Salsa Red xB I'm new to this site but I'm on Club xb, scionlife and am a member of Scion Evolution. I just found this site and there is alot of good reading on here. Well that's it for now. Manny
  • callmemrbillcallmemrbill Member Posts: 1
    Hello there, my name is Bill and I have a 2008 Blackberry Crush xB and I love it. How are we all doing??
  • andeetandeet Member Posts: 142
    I thought I posted in here already; guess not. lol

My name is Andrea but you can call me "Andee." I live in Southeast Wisconsin. I currently own a '07 CSM tC. I bought him brand new back in Nov '06 which I traded in '06 SSM xA. I have put on over 100k miles already. It's great car! He doesn't plan on slowing down anytime soon. He is maintained well while being modded. Last weekend, I went to a Chicagoland Carmax for appraisal. They labeled him as TRD edition tC? Because of his TRD suspension and exhaust LOL So if anyone wants to fire questions about Scion-TRD parts...I'm your gal!

These cars are like wine...They get finer when aged. :D
  • mrstunerboxmrstunerbox Member Posts: 1
    Scion / Toyota / Lexus One Love Week-End
    When: Oct 9 2009 – Oct 11 2009
    Where: Fort Walton Beach Fla
    Sponsored By: Quality Imports Scion/Toyota
    www.oneloveweekend.ning.com

Charity: Camp Skamp www.campskamp.org
    Hotel: Emerald Coast Inn & Suites
    1214 U.S Hwy 98 E
    Fort Walton Beach,
    Fla 32548
    Call in to book your room 1-800-408-2200 or 850-243-5563
    Cost of rooms: $65.00
    Please let them know you are with the One Love Weekend.
    Please book your room ASAP. They only have 60 rooms at that Hotel. They are holding all of them for us until Aug 13. After Aug 13 you can still get the rooms for that price but they want be holding them. It will be 1st come 1st serve.
    The beach is across the street.
    www.emeraldcoastinn.com

One Love Kick Off Party and Cook-Out
    Friday Oct 9 2009
    6pm - 8pm
    At Quality Imports
    1006 Beal Parkway NW
    Fort Walton, Fla 32547
    There will be free food, music and a lot of fun. You will also get a sneak peek on the Auction and raffle items for Saturday. You will get a chance to
    Pre-registers for Saturday’s show and get a special goodie bag.

Saturday Oct 10 2009
    11am-6pm
    Location: The Track Family Recreation Center in Destin, Florida http://www.destintrack.com/
    One Love Poker Run, Car Show

(Scion/Toyota/Lexus)
    11am – Poker Run ($5.00 Fee)
    12pm-2pm – Registration and Start Selling Raffle Tickets at 12pm
    DJ starts at 12:30pm
    Food starts at 1pm
    Start calling out Raffle Tickets at 1:30. Call out Raffle tickets every 30-minutes
    Judging 2pm-4pm
    Auction 3:00pm
    Trophies 5pm (Right After Auction)

Sunday Oct 11 2009
    Thank You Breakfast
    9am-11am
    Around the Hotel Pool

For more info please call Tammy Bradley 205-821-4819 or email Oneloveweekend@bellsouth.net

All Scion, Toyota and Lexus owners and clubs are welcome. We also welcome other brands of cars.
    To pre-register for the event please send your info to Oneloveweekend@bellsouth.net.
    Name
    Address
    Cell phone
    Email
    Club
    Make/Model
    How many mods do you have?
  • katsmom729katsmom729 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 xB. Love it!!! But I am getting over a 100K miles on it now. My gas mileage was 40 mpg hiway when I purchased it. It has been decreasing a little along. I have used gas treatment to clean injectors, changed my spark plugs, and changed my air filter. What am I missing or does this happen with high mileage?
  • xbowner08xbowner08 Member Posts: 1
    I'm the owner of a Toyota Scion xb limited addition car 1 of 2500 made. My story starts a few months ago.
    I know the Scion is not on the recall list but it should be. My family i was on the freeway and we had a blow out at about 65 miles per hr. it was a very scary thing to happen. I hit my head and had head ache for a while. I contacted my Toyota dealer they told me to bring it in at this time my car only had about 15,000 miles on it. The tire seemed to be defective but they made us pay $70.00 to replace it. When we shouldn't have payed anything. We did and went on our mary way. Just recently I took my can in for it's 25.000 mile check up and was told my car is not safe to drive I asked is there something wrong with my car. I was told it is not safe to drive and got no answer about what really is wrong with my vehicle. They said they was in contact with the manufacture and we need to keep your car because it is not safe. They said if they can't release our car they will give us a loner. I went back to the dealer ship and talked to the certified Toyota mechanic and was shocked with what he said. He showed me my tires while the car was on the rack. Three of my tires are warn out. My car is to new for this to be happening. He told me that he has seen this same pattern on other Scion xb's and that hopefully Toyota can come up with a solution to fix all the other Scion xb's this is very dangerous because Scion xb owner have no idea that there car is unsafe.
    By the way I have all this on tape I decided to record my visit to the dealership. I know Toyota is having their problems but they have not come clean with all the cars that they have in there dealership. After hearing what I have heard about the Scion xb l know that my car will never be safe and I don't feel safe in that car any more. My family rides in that car I've had my grand kids in that car and now to find out that this car is not safe I'm very disappointed in Toyota for keeping this info to themselves and not sharing this with us , we trusted them., yet again there still hiding stuff which keeps us driving unsafe vehicles even after being caught being deceptive.. They have jeopardize me and my whole family I'm very mad and don't want that car. That day on the free- way we almost lost our lives it's not a good feeling. The Toyota mechanic that gave us this info on Toyota was just doing his job and I thank him because when I ask him is their something wrong with me car I could see the manager shaking his head no to the mechanic (deceptive). This is what he wanted the mechanic to tell me but he did not. Then manager went home but when my wife and i came back to retrieve a loner vehicle( because they told us it was unsafe to drive our vehicle) the manager was not there , so my wife asked if she can see the tires and take footage of it. He told us the truth about other scion xb 's that were having the same issues, and that the Manufacture is aware of it and hopefully they will come up with a solution for all xd owners. I'm so glad he told us the truth. I did mention that i have explosive new video proving that Toyota knows about it and are still not warning Scion xb special addition owners about this dangerous issue about a totally different vehicle not the accelerator problems in other vehicle. This is totally new explosive video of my visit. I also want to turn it into the media, But i'm still trying to determine what is the best course of action for my family.
This discussion has been closed.