Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• automaniac95automaniac95 Member Posts: 1
    is the leather high quality?
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    You know on these 100 degree days, that AC feels good. I am glad Scion fixed the problem for 2005.
  • axiomowneraxiomowner Member Posts: 76
    I went with Katzkin leather and I love it. It is better than factory leathers on my other cars... www.katzkin.com
  • brianscionbrianscion Member Posts: 4
    I got the fog lamps (vestigial, but other people can see me better and they look cool)
    and I got the front bra. They sent me a $50 gift certificate and hey, it was $55 :P
    Looks nice and keeps the rocks off, though.

Other than that, I've thought about the cargo liner and the cold air intake, but they cost too much for my funding.

(as for personal enhancements I made, I have the cast of Homestarrunner across the dashboard, a Trogdor window cling, and an OOOGA horn :P )
    get the tC
    I don't think the seats are removable, just fold-down-flat-able
    I've got an xA, and can't say I've come across rattling.
    It may be something in the particular songs your'e playing. I know I HAVE heard popping on a few selected tracks, but it was a quality of the music that did it.

or maybe your speakers are loose.
  • tcwigtcwig Member Posts: 1
    Where can I get the cold air intake, how much is it and is it easy to install? Thanks
  • johnnyringojohnnyringo Member Posts: 31
    has anyone tried underdrive pullys on the tC yet?... I was thinking of doing...
    you can get cold air intake all over the place do google search for scion tc cold air intake... the cheapest K&N typhoon that I have found was 219.00 and they just bolt on. should take no more than a half an hour to remove stock intake and slap cold air intake on.
  • mnikosmnikos Member Posts: 31
    Hi,
    I am just tonight reading through this entire site so don't know if anyone else answers your questions later on, but I bought my 2006 xB last Monday and can tell you that the interior light is not too far back, I can easily reach back and turn it on and off, though it would be nice to also have a switch on the dash for it. Re the armrest, I ordered one through the Scion dealer when I bought the car, and they called to tell me it's been received, but since I ordered it I saw the Zeta with storage, and am going for that one instead. It's about $170 but I think the storage makes it worth paying $50 more than the Scion armrest. I bought the Black Cherry Pearl, which I had heard was discontinued for 2006 but I guess they changed their minds.
    Regarding question about when the 2006's would be out, when I called the Palm Springs dealer last Monday (8/1/05) they had just received their first one, which was in their shop having a radio installed. Some of the reviews I had read said the radio isn't very user-friendly, but I'm finding it to be pretty simple to use. The radio for 2006 has a volume control knob in the center, rather than up/down buttons; you also push it for audio settings (bass, etc.). I ordered the optional radio (about $240, I think) that accepts your iPod so that it plays through the Pioneer system. I haven't taken it back to have the radio installed yet, so don't know exactly what it will look like. My xB is the Black Cherry Pearl which apparently is one of the harder-to-find colors. I can tell you first-hand that it definitely shows dirt. But when it's clean, it is sure beautiful!
  • jamesgangjamesgang Member Posts: 47
    Because all the xB colors (except White and Silver) are basically Black - they all show dirt :shades: People ask what color mine is (Camo) I just tell them it is one of the Blacks :)
    Agree with that!

Its like mine, its blue, but in any distance its black.
  • tb1019tb1019 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if the standard CD/MP3 player can play files stored in the WMA format? Also, what are the disc formats it can read (CD-R, CD-R/W, etc.)?
  • knatertcknatertc Member Posts: 1
    Hey, i seen a TC on ebay with leather interior, and i didnt see it on the interior options list when i ordered my TC is this custom or a unlistred accessorie?? any help, prices, would be great i want leather!!
    You can get leather seats in a tc... they are black with greay accents from the dealer. the cost is right at $1000.00 you can even get them with the side impact air bags... just ask your dealer. If you don't mind spending more you can find a bunch of leather seat options from after market seat makers.
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    I am thinking about getting the xB primarily as a commuting car. Hows is the mileage on this car. Is it similar to the Honda Civic or the Corrola. I really like the utility of the xB over the Civic and the Corrola, but am not so sure how good of a mileage it gets, especailly compared to the Civic and Corrola. Am i better off just sticking to those two conventional cars?
    My xB (manual) gets 31.5 low, and 34 high. I have averaged 33 mpg.

My 95 DX Corolla (manual) averages 35 city and 38 trip.

My dads 05 Corolla S (auto) gets 35 city and 40 trip.

I have heard that the present Civic is worst in mpg (except hybird). Maybe the new style will be better,

I use my xB as a commuter, 30 miles one way in summer and 80 roundtrip on teaching nights. The only thing about the xB is that it has a smaller fuel tank, so you have to get gas more often.
    I have 13909 miles on my auto 05 xB. The absolute worse mpg I've gotten so far is 35.8. The best 39.1. With the A/C running constantly now I'm averaging 37. I drive a mixture of 65mph highways (sometimes 70) and two lane 45-55mph. As a percentage I drive very little 'in town' and no 'city' miles.
    Hope this helps.
    I beat a record, got 35mpg. Maybe its getting better with age.
  • guardian131guardian131 Member Posts: 2
    Can you send me the wiring diagram for the 2004 scion xb. I am trying to install a car alarm system but i need the diagram. Thanks! (deathangel131@yahoo.com)
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Tundradude

I think your XB is getting broken in now. I avg. 33-35 mpg on each tank and have achieved a few 36 mpg tankfuls. The Zeta armrest is essential for your commute since you do a good bit of driving. I have read that there are a few changes for the 06 XB. Do you have any info on those? I may have to get another XB for the missus with gas prices exploding.
    They are putting the cd changer for free in all the late 05's.
    What did they do than just changing the radio and drop silver?
  • rxboxrxbox Member Posts: 2
    DO U EVER HAVE PROBLEMS WITH GAS MILAGE CHANGEING MORE THAN 5 MPG? SOMETIMES WHEN I RUN ON THE INTERSTATE I ONLY GET ABOUT 25 MPG? THAT IS AT ABOUT 70 MPH,
    "DO U EVER HAVE PROBLEMS WITH GAS MILAGE CHANGEING MORE THAN 5 MPG? SOMETIMES WHEN I RUN ON THE INTERSTATE I ONLY GET ABOUT 25 MPG? THAT IS AT ABOUT 70 MPH,"

If you are talking to me specifically, the answer is a distinct NO.
    I can pretty much predict my mpg per tank based on the conditions I drove under.
    Highway with A/C will get me the lowest miles.
    Open back roads without A/C will get me the best.
    I have no idea what a full tank at 70mph would produce - but doubt it would be as low as 25 - sorry
  • rxboxrxbox Member Posts: 2
    the gas milage is good as long as you dont drive over 55mph after that speed the milage goes way down
    Last week I installed my new Zeta armrest (bought on-line). It was indeed easy to install, and looks very sharp. It has a ratchet action that allows you to raise and lower it to the most comfortable position, as well as to ratchet it up vertically to get it out of the way. It also has some storage, which I don't think the Scion factory armrest offers. It's about $50 more than the one from the dealer, but well worth the difference.
    I also had the optional stereo installed; for 06 it has an iPod input (they install a separate jack in the floor next to the parking brake, and just in front of the accessory jack there already). It's pretty awesome; it allows the iPod functions to be controlled from the multi-controller on the radio (knob on the right), so you can leave the iPod in one of the storage pockets, and run the whole thing from the radio control panel. The cable they provide with the radio to go to the iPod isn't very long. I think I'm going to try to drill a hole in the bottom of the armrest and run the cable up through it so the iPod can sit in the armrest storage.
  • lottacarslottacars Member Posts: 4
    Can the LP's "low profile" tires be changed out for regular tires? Need a softer ride, but wonder if they will affect the tire pressure gauge on car.
    You can change your tires without worry... the tire pressure deal is to detect a difference in preasure between the left and right of the car not total preasure... and even if it did 32 psi is the same in all size tires... it is still 32 psi... lol :P
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    I've played CD-RW's in my xA many times.
  • azkevinazkevin Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had experience with the TRD assembly clutch and/or the quick shifter for the tC? Any info would be helpful.
  • fmacfmac Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have the TRD $299 muffler on an xB? Website says it improves mpg.
    Does it? What's it sound like (does it raise noise level)?
  • johnnyb11johnnyb11 Member Posts: 50
    I too would like to know if the trd muffler will improve mpg. And what about the cold air intake - will that improve mileage? Any comparisons out there of cars with and without these options? Unfortunately, a lot of people out there are getting different mileage numbers and it's hard to tell why there is so much inconsistency in experiences with mileage.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    An engine is an air pump.

Anything you can do to make it easier to suck air in (Intake)
    or blow air out (exhaust) will make it more efficient.
    Things like low restricion intake and exhaust systems make your engine more efficient, and a byproduct of that, is more power at full throttle and more MPG under normal use.

The big BUT is, will you keep your foot out of it and still drive it easy?
    Or will you step on it to hear the intake and exhaust sounds? If so, your milage will go down.
  • geargirliegeargirlie Member Posts: 1
    Is the xb any good in the snow? (I don't expect it to feel like a 4wd, but what does it compare to?)

How much of a problem is the ground clearance - I am thinking of the Boston pot holes and I worry . . .

any other advice? Thanks.
  • fightingamishfightingamish Member Posts: 2
    Have been looking at new 2006 Scion tCs and notice that some at the dealership have Bridgestone Potenzas and other cars have Yokohama tires. Is either better than the other? Should I be able to request what tires I want or does the factory just go ahead and put on whatever they have more of in stock on that day???
    I upgraded to the Pioneer radio that interfaces with the iPod when I bought my 2006 xB. Everything works great on the interface (you actually control your iPod with the controls on the radio, so the iPod can stay put away) but the cable provided with the radio is only 18" long. It plugs into a port on the floor next to the gear shift, and the other end plugs (obviously) into the bottom of the iPod. Problem is the cable is too short to put the iPod anywhere but in the tray on the floor next to the gear shift. I'd like to be able to run the cable up the back of my Zeta armrest and keep the iPod tucked away in the armrest's storage. Has anybody found either a longer cable, or an extension cable for an iPod (the male end would plug into the bottom of the iPod, and the other end would be a female configuration of that same plug)? I've tried Pioneer, Scion, Circuit City, and about fifty other places with no luck.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    radio shack? if they don't have it, it must not exist.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    eBay.
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    I do most of my research for upgrades on Crutchfield.com
  • vader928vader928 Member Posts: 1
    my 06 xB came with a rubber goodie that fits in one of the cup holders, it is dsigned for cell phones and the i-pod
    I believe they put on whatever they have that day. I have portenzas on mine. I took delivery on 9/04 before yoko's were avail...

I've heard, via this forum, that the yoko's are better. I'd say check out www.tirerack.com and do a comparison. If I had the choice, I'd have the salesguy swap w/another car and install yoko's on mine before I would sign on the line...
  • markg4markg4 Member Posts: 44
    i tried to order 05 mudguards for an 06 xa and was told that the 05 guards wont fit the 06 model and the 06 guards are not out yet. anyone have any idea when they will be available?

thanks!
  • jimw0238jimw0238 Member Posts: 65
    my 06' that i bought two days ago came with goodyear eagles....
    I've been thinking about this for a while.. Has anyone replaced their low-profile tires on the tC with regular tires? I'll need to replace within the year. (The portenzas seem to only be good for 20-25k miles).

I would prefer all-season, smoother ride with longer tread life. But, I'm not sure what size tires would be appropriate...
  • ginocginoc Member Posts: 3
    Any suggestions on the size of the replacement tires? Looking at 205/60/15 or 225/55/15.....trying to make sure the odometer and speedometer are true and get a softer ride
  • jimw0238jimw0238 Member Posts: 65
    it sounds like that size of tire would be ok. same size rim and same height series, however you should make sure that you have the clearance for the extra width.
    Here's a link to tire sizes and effect on odo and speedo....;
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
This discussion has been closed.