Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• waldronswaldrons Member Posts: 6
    Thanks. I've looked at that same armrest and the mats on the net and have found several places that sell them. The sunroof still has me stumped. Where do I start?
  • xxccapt98xxccapt98 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Im looking to buy a 2005 XB can anyone tell me anything positive about the car and if you experienced any problems that would be great.
  • ralph204ralph204 Member Posts: 4
    The armrest on my new x-B is a minor nuisance. You have to flick it out of the way with your arm to get get to the hand brake whenever you want to go somewhere or park. As an armrest,for the driver is's a failure. It's too low and a little too far back. A short passenger may find it comfortable though.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Positives:

Its roomy.
    The back seat is huge.
    The stereo.
    The seats are very comfortable.
    The transmission (manual) is just about ideal.
    Handles great for a big square. (Cannot speak for xBs without the front strut brace)
    Gets decent gas mileage. Low 31.4 High 34
    Back cup holder makes wonderful cell phone holder.
    Dash cup holder makes good place for sunglasses.

Negatives:
    Resistant to bumps could be better. The alignment of the car is tossed back and forth.
    The car tends to be blown around in higher speeds (80) and windy days.
    Back window scratches easily, I have a new one. However, this came from driving with something hitting it.
    There is no gas cap holder on fuel door.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Tundradude, I think that you have covered all the bases on the Scion options list. I concur with the mats, fog lights, and strut brace. Those options make my commute more enjoyable. The armrest is really an excellent after market item. It really makes the driving experience that much better. This item should be standard on all Xb's. The most pressing option that I want to install now is also aftermarket. I would like to install another dome light over the back cargo area, to shed a little more lumins back there. The pics and the parts list are on the scionlife.com site in the technical section. It seems to be fairly simple to do. The dome light is about $17 from Scion or Toyota dealers, and the plug from Radio Shack is another $9. By the way, if you have a couple of hours to kill, you should comb that web site for almost any type of info or how-to you can imagine on the Xb's.
    I got the zeta products storage armrest. The storage is pretty god and the position is high enough that it is actually useful. There are more aftermarket armrests hitting the market each month, although reviews of them are scarce. Good luck and happy driving with your new Xb. The storage armrest can be seen on www.zetaproducts.net
    I am also looking at the zeta armrest with the storage. Would you measure the length of it for me? Does is get in the way of shifting?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I would think that the zetaproducts people would have checked into avoiding the shifting area while designing the armrest! I'm sure it's fine. I would probably buy one, too, if I buy a xA. I have one OEM in my Sportage 4x4 and love it.

BTW, crazedcommuter, isn't the aftermarket armrest really easy to put in? Clamps to your seat track or something like that?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Yes it does clamp onto your seat tracks without impeding the motion of the seat. This thing is so easy to install that I let my 9 yr. old finish the istallation after I showed him what to do. I tightened the nuts after he was done and total install was about 15 minutes. The look is factory and it is better than any other armrest out there.
    I will measure it for you. It does not impede shifting in my automatic. From the posts that I've read on the other sites, the Zeta storage armrest does not impede the 5 speed either, as the other aftermarket armrests do.
  • oozazoozaz Member Posts: 6
    I just picked up my new tC last night and I couldn't be happier.. Automatic, Silver Streak, Fog Lights, Auto-dimming rearview mirror... Such a fun car to drive!! My uncle is a car nut and couldn't believe all the standard options that come on this car.
    I'll get to the question.. Does anyone know how I go about removing my automatic shift knob so that I can replace it with something a little more jazzy? I'm looking to replace it with one of the OXB shift knobs. Do I need any additional parts for installation?

Thanks! :)
    I'm a dumbass.. It simply unscrews.
    10 days ago we put money down on a blue xb, now they are telling us they sold it to someone else. We have decided to start over and get a black cherry instead. One dealer I called said they don't make very many black cherry and they are really hard to get. I think he's just trying to get me to take the white one they have on the lot. He said they can't order them, they just get what they are shipped. He claims that all lots in Phoenix are sold out of xb. He also said that dealers won't call other dealers to check to see what they have. I think I'm being fed a line. He told me to call all the dealers. Since I don't live in Phoenix, but in a city near, I just decided to go with the dealer I have been working with and order one. My questions are:
    1. Is black cherry that hard to find?
    2. Is it true that they can't order a xb for you?
    3. How does the paint hold up and does it get real dirty looking?
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    get your deposit back and try another dealership.
    as long as they have your money, he thinks he can keep your business. If you think he's trying to keep you there to get the white one, then take your money and see how he responds.

you can also check inventories online from the scion website

any dark color that's not silver or grey is going to be dirty looking if you don't wash it.
  • johnnyb11johnnyb11 Member Posts: 50
    and gold...
    oooh yeah, gold is good~! :shades: Just don't underestimate by getting a car the color of dirt to not show dirt- dirt dries and changes color.
  • geekaygeekay Member Posts: 51
    I went through something similar, except my dealer was more honest, dealers do not have to call, they have a slightly diffrent version of inventory checking software and they know, or will know very fast if there is a particular car to be had in the area. It can be had if this dealer is on a 1 to 1 with the other dealer (and good ones should be). The car is then transported or driven by your dealer and the dealer takes a little hit on his profit, you get at the agreed price with the few miles (if driven). In my case the dealer would have taken a week or more to go thru this method and I got my money back even though he was going to get me the car. And the dealer can order one for you to.
  • jhannahjhannah Member Posts: 3
    Visited a Scion Dealer for service on my X/b today and checked out new X/b's to see if they had the out of production Pirellis tires that I told you about in message #48. I took the Scion Sales Manager with me and found 2. One on the show room floor and one on the front sales lot. Didn't look for anymore but, I bet there were more out back.

So, I would suggest that you check out what tires you're riding on and get back to me. I don't think any owner would be willing to purchase any make or model of vehicle with tires that are out of date before you drive off the lot and moreover, can't be replaced if necessary with the same exact tire.
    Post 52 says to have things added at the distribution center and not the dealer. I'm confused. What kinds of things are you talking about? I live in Tucson, AZ. Is the distribution center where the cars come into port? Just call me clueless!! I'm only going with the armrest, and floor mats. I'm going to add wheels at a later date. I also read somewhere, can't remember where now, that there is a roll bar that can be installed. Is this a good idea? Is that something that should be added at the distribution center? I've looked at Scion's website and can't find any reference to a roll bar.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    if the dealer gets the order in on time, they will install all of the options at the distribution center (aka the "port"). But, the dealer can also install any of them too, so not a big deal if you decide to add something after you see the car.

Not sure about the roll bar. I think you might be looking at an "anti-roll" bar? Might be showing my advanced age, but a "roll bar" is installed in a race car interior in case yo uroll over!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    for your Scion xA or xB, if you're so inclined.

http://www.scionarmrest.com/home.html

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I brought my tC into the dealership yesterday to have the auto dimming mirror installed.. I must add, it was difficult to part with my tC for the Camry rental they gave me... Enough about my attachment disorder.. Here's the problem: As soon as I brought my tC in I informed the service manager about the problems I have been hearing about the combination of having both the side curtain airbags and dimming mirror together.. I told the manager that I spoke with the people at Scion and they said a new and longer wiring harness had been developed and there was no longer an issue.. I returned to the dealership later that afternoon only to find out that the wiring harness they had been sent was too short.. They apologized etc., but whatever happened to the customer is always right?? They should have listened to me..
    I hope everyone is having a blast with their tC, I know I am!!
  • zhangtao9703zhangtao9703 Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

Did anyone have experience with the doc fees? How much is fair? The Scion dealer charges me about $140 (forgot the exact number).

Thanks in advance.
    Carmax has the lowest Dealer Fee I've seen for documentation processing.
    I've seen regular dealers charge anywhere from $149-$399.
    I think you did fine but that's my 2c

I'm not even sure what my dealer's fee was. :confuse:
  • chaychay Member Posts: 1
    I have ordered an xB with standard wheels. I want to add 17" wheels to the car after I pick it up. Have any of you tried this modification?

I have ordered an xB to be delivered to my dealer about the 20th of May. I would like to 17" wheels to it after I pick it up. Are there more problems that are caused by this conversion that outweigh the good looks? Any advice about tire size? The salesman at NTB advised a 235/45 because the 205 would be a very rough ride. I am hoping that someone has tried this conversion and can help me out with their experience.
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    Hey tundradue, I also live in Tucson, AZ. Which dealer are you giving your business to? I started at Precision Toyota but have since moved to Desert Toyota. Desert gave me more money for my trade.

I'm waiting on a silver colored tC with side current airbags. Its scheduled to arrive in early June. I must confess that I'm having a hard time deciding what options I really want. Although I told the dealer I wanted the body kit I'm now of the opinion that the front nose mask is more important than the body kit. The nose mask is not compatible with the body kit and I don't think it's worth $1000.00. I think the 18" rims are a better choice than the body kit. I would hate for them to install anything at the port of entry until I sign the final paperwork. :D
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I live on the other side of the country in NC. I bought mind in Rice Toyota in Greensboro. I am in the southeast region.

The port is much more responsible than the service department can ever hope to be. This is true where I bought mind. The stupid dealership's service dept. scratched mind after I took the car back for an alignment and they did not care that they did it either.

It appears that you are having trouble deciding on how it looks before you purchase, therefore you want to check it out before you add certain options. This doesn't apply to what I got on the car.
    Hey goose, I live in Tucson. I am dealing with Precision as they are closer to where I live. I've decided to take my xb as it comes and add anything on after I purchase. I'm not trading in a car, just adding another. My xb is due in early June also. Maybe we'll see each other!
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    Maybe we will. If/when you purchase the xB add-ons will you get them through the Scion dealer?
  • escapeowner2escapeowner2 Member Posts: 12
    I'm entirely new to all this so I would appreciate anyone's help. I don't understand all the suspension options and engine options on the Scion XB. Can anyone help me understand them? Are they worth it? What's the value of them? What do they do for the ride of the XB? Thanks!
  • uberwolfuberwolf Member Posts: 1
    Well I can't answer all of your questions but I have seen one black cherry and that was in a far north burb of Chicago which leads me to believe that they may be hard to get The dealership that I went to was very accomodating and if I wanted to order one the only thing that they said was "Well it will take a month". Of course they kept the black cherry one pretty clean so I can't answer question three but it sounds like the dealership you are talking to is extremely lazy and just wants to get rid of stock. I say f them find it somewhere else. Anyone else have a comment as I am new to my xB (but love it and can't wait to start modding it)
  • ralph204ralph204 Member Posts: 4
    My first instinct was to say that if you have to ask, you don't need suspension or engine options. Referring to Edmunds.com page on "Scion xB price with options," I can find no engine options except option #26 Carbon Fiber Engine Cover, which should make your engine look more powerful. The only suspension option is #5Y Front Strut Tie Bar for $220.00 list. This may help if you "really hang it out on the twisties" as they say. It will stiffen the front of the body/chassis structure. Anything sold by Toyota Racing Development (TRD) should perform as advertised. They have more money for development than accessory manufactures. One worthwhile suspension option you may want to consider is up-graded tires. The ones on the car are just OK. Spend a few hours on tirerack.com and tires.com and learn all you can and read the reviews. Where do you intend to race? Is the dealer offering performance accessories for this little engine?
  • italian906italian906 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,

I'm considering buying at new TC at the local dealership.
    It currently only has the airbags as an installed extra option. He said you can add all kinds of accessories if you want. I am really wondering if these accessories are really worth it for them to install or if I should just buy them and install them myself after the fact. Also I am not sure of the quality of these after market vendors. These are the specific options I'm considering:

Front Strut Tie Bar by Hotchkis Performance ($225)
    Exaust System($525) how is this different from the TRD sport muffler?
    AEM Cold Air Induction ( no price)
    Scion Security?? ($469) really gives no description as to what this exactly is
  • rhonduhrhonduh Member Posts: 1
    i had pretty much the same trouble with my xa. i wanted a black 5 speed and they tried to sell me a black automatic, then a silver 5 spd. then went somewhere else, and the explained to me, that. they only make so many in so many colors. and most of them are spoken for. say out of 500 cars 10 of them are black and you have how many car dealerships. in the world? so i had to settle for a grey 5spd but i love it just the same!
  • ms467ms467 Member Posts: 1
    I'm close to getting an xB, but looking at the new tC, I saw that there is an option of AM/FM/CD with iPod Capability. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade or add iPod capability for the xB? I'm wondering if this should be cause for me to hold out for the 2006 which brings me to the next question. Anyone know when the 2006 will be released?

Thanks in advance.
  • NurseMBHNurseMBH Member Posts: 7
    I also want the mp3 cabability on the XB. Looks like it is definitely an upgrade/option.
    Here is what I found at their website for the under "Sound Systems":

We went to Pioneer, one of the leading names in sound, to create an audio experience that allows you to feel a full range of sound. Whether you choose the single CD player or the optional in-dash changer, you’ll experience Scion Sound Processing through 6 speakers, and have the capability to easily upgrade to satellite radio and listen to MP3 files.

Single Play CD Radio
    Built-In DSP Sound Equalization
    Scion Sound Processing (SSP) with 3 equalization modes
    • Neutral
    • Hear
    • Feel

MP3 Compressed Audio Playback
    Up to 10 hours of playback 1 Disc
    MP3 File Text Capability
    Satellite Radio Control
    Satellite Radio Tuner (optional)
    High Power (160 watt maximum)

In-Dash CD6 Radio
    Built-In DSP Sound Equalization
    Scion Sound Processing (SSP) with 3 equalization modes
    • Neutral
    • Hear
    • Feel

MP3 Compressed Audio Playback
    Up to 10 hours of playback 1 Disc
    MP3 File Text Capability
    Satellite Radio Control
    Satellite Radio Tuner (optional)
    In-Dash 6-Disc Changer
    10 Color Change LCD Display
    High Power (160 watt maximum)
  • tccowboy07702tccowboy07702 Member Posts: 12
    I've been pretty dissatisfied with the clarity of the stereo in my tC. I'm looking to upgrade everything, but I'm not sure what to get. I just want it to be clear, while being loud (which obviously doesn't happen on the tC right now). Has anyone found a good system under about $400?
  • chabowskichabowski Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering xB for commute. One thing I wanted to see before is whether I can remove the rear seats and remake that space into a mobile office. I'm sure people have done this with bigger cars like Hummers and Excursions but fuel cost will be an issue. Pictures at the edmunds.com aren't exactly clear on whether that's feasible or not. If I took out the rear seats entirely, can the cargo area be made to be any lower? Usually cargo area is a bit higher due to parts of drivetrain, fuel tank and spare.
  • daboxmandaboxman Member Posts: 1
    Fellow Boxers:
    Thinking about doing a self install of a DC Sports front strut bar on my xB. Looks like getting to all the hardware to put the bar on is up under the plastic cowling is a bit tight. Any suggestions/reccomendations for proceeding?
    Congrats on the strut bar. It is a worthy option. I got the Hotchkiss one dealer installed. I checked it out and it looks very easy to do. The scionlife.com website has a excellent tech section for XB's on this topic. I believe that I read that you should jack the front end up to take the weight off the strut bolts. Also several people that installed it themselves said that taking off the plastic piece that covers the wiper motor area makes this easier. I know that checking your air filter is a bit of a challenge with the strut bar. it took 2 of us to work the filter out because the strut bar blocks it after installation.
  • skipvwskipvw Member Posts: 1
    Has the air cond ben fixed in the 05 scion a? I understand it didnt cool very good in the high heat and humid aeras.
  • johnnyringojohnnyringo Member Posts: 31
    Hmmm... I find the tC stereo rocks... for a stock stereo it sounds pretty good... If you are looking for an aftermarket stereo to out preform it for $400.00 good luck... let me know if you find one for that price. I used to be all into rockin stereos in high school... Alpine was the best back then... with allot of different speaker and amp manufacturers. I'm not sure you can really build a good stereo of the quality that I bet your going for, for less than 1K... New deck approx $400.00, good amp $200.00-300.00 and rockin speakers with well built boxes $400.00...
  • johnnyringojohnnyringo Member Posts: 31
    Anyone know where I can find a billit style front grill for my tC... I'm looking for one that is approx 1/8" thick flat chrome stock in a horizontal direction with approx 1/4" or 1/2" space inbetween.
    Mine's getting serviced under a technical bulletin and I'm in southern california
  • aeroluvraeroluvr Member Posts: 42
    Hi everyone..I tend to buy "fully loaded" cars and research a lot before I buy. I bought the last BMW Z3 2001 around and got everything on it and a great deal back in 2001 - so GLAD because I do NOT like Z4. And my (love it!) 93 240SX (hard to part with) same thing. So now I'm trying to decide what I want on my TC which I plan to buy in a few months after I hear how 2006 models are for new owners. I would LOVE some help/guidance with your experience on a number of items I am considering getting on my TC. The official site is of little help really so I'll number them..feel free to share any experience/input on any you have OK? I would hope as more 2006's are bought folks will share their experiences on all of these items...to benefit us all.

1. Ground effects kit - can someone elaborate..is this more protective and/or cosmetic in nature?

2. Exhaust system - is this purely cosmetic or does it have an enhanced exhaust system and/or different noise to it?

3. I've heard the 18" wheels make for a much bumpier ride in the TC and handling not so good - true? Wheel locks? Cosmetic or good to get?

4. Leaning toward lip spoiler vs pedastal..my 240SX has the perfect one which is a bigger lip - wish TC had it. Any thoughts (not just for looks but for use to open/close hatch and wanting to make sure no vision problems as with so many others.

5. Rear Tail Lights by TYC...I admit I think I like the looks of them but would like to know thoughts from others...is it purely cosmetic?

6. Scion Security - this is something I am pretty sure I WILL get as long as it's not annoying - what exactly is included? Is it exterior alarm, etc.?

7. I probably won't get the extra airbags because as it is, airbags will probably kill be as I'm very short and sit right up against steering wheel...the front ones are standard right?

8. The auto dimming mirror...I'm not sure about this one. I have manual "adjust" RV mirrors where you can pull it down to dim and for some reason I find myself rarely using it unless I am getting BLINDED by someone...not sure I'd like it to decide for me, is that what it does?

9. I asked this before but no answer yet. It appears in pictures that 2005 the stereo lighted face was amber, for 2006 now it is blue? True? Yet the gauges are still all black/white/amber?

10. More on color - anyone get the LED enhancements? Your thoughts? Probably silly huh? I HAD considered amber if amber face of stereo but if that's blue, blue would have to be it. I love amber dash lighting in all my cars - alway have - speaking of which, what is the lighting color of the gauges at night?

11. Speaking of color - I was set to look at the 2005 blue color only to see it has now been replaced with Nautical Blue for 2006 which looks different. To be honest I don't like any of them via pics except the 2006 new silver but my BMW is that color. The Scion TC paint looks...different for some reason..not as "vibrant"/"strong' as other cars - any thoughts?

12. BIG QUESTION - Has anyone got their Bazooka subwoofer which looks like it is installed in the hatch on the side..which would seem it would not be a good location for sound in front? I am picky about sound systems yet bought a fully upgraded system in BMW, paid huge bucks and am really disappointed with it..my custom in my 240SX is ten times better. BMW has 10 speakers, subwoofer, EQ and that (STUPID) auto volume adjust for ambient noise - God I hate that thing. Anyway...wanted input in particular on the subwoofer as I dont' see anyone mention it here.

13. Speaking of stereo..so..the 2006 now comes standard with audio volume control on steering wheel..LOVE THAT. But no Cruise Control on the steering wheel - I'll live. Anyway...2006 also comes standard with a jack to plug in ANY portable music player (not talking about IPOD in the Pioneer unit itself just the jack) in the center which I assume then runs it through EQ (how IS the EQ with three settings anyway?). Since I don't have an iPOD, I think no need to get the iPOD system upgrade which offers full display of track/artist, etc...nice but not needed. Anyone who HAS gotten this please share experience though.

14. XM radio - anyone get it wired for that and subscribe to it? Probably not but worth asking. Also any trouble with the regular mast antenna for regular FM? THAT is one big problem in BMW..the mast antenna...hard to pick up stations clearly, interference, etc.

15. Is the 2006 stupid radio door GONE? Or still there?

16. I want to get carpet/mats but they look kinda cheap..are they? Are there better ones available? Is there a custom TC upgrade site to look at..saw a few Scion related ones mentioned..but not for TC.

17. Are the bugs previously noted for many TC's in 2005 fixed in the 2006. This is where experience from new buyers will come in handy. Problems with glass tops (rattling, breaking, etc). Hatch rattling noise. Gear problem - 3rd gear on manual. Anything else?

I know it's a ton of questions but it's been my experience that as a model comes out after the first year, when the 2nd year is just hitting the road, this is the best time to ask/compare and then I'll decide on exactly what I want and get it.

IS this the right place to post this? I posted a bit of it in one of the other general forums and had asked for a 2006 one but I guess there won't be a new one added so would LOVE to get input on the above from folks as they buy new 2006 TCs.

THANKS!
  • juandehavasujuandehavasu Member Posts: 16
    Picked up the '06 tC, color white, w/ zero options, last Sat. in Phoenix area from Avondale Scion. Which, by the way was a pleasant experience. One person handled the entire transaction and no BS. Anyway, yes the goofy radio door is still there to annoy you. I have begun to add "options". A Toyota dealer in Dallas has an excellent website; trdparts4u.com, with discounts over what you would pay at your dealer. Also carbytes.com does custom mats at less than Scion wants for the "rubbermaid" specials. I ordered black w/ red binding. Nice peeps at carbytes too. And yes 18's on the tC will turn it ride into a "tank". Not enough side wall flex...to bad as they do look good...but for me it was too great a degradation in the ride w/ only marginal handling improvement. Good luck on your purchase.
    Thanks for the input..and darn..confirming the radio door is still the same..I thought when they said redesigned the audio system head they might have figured out what to do with that too. I had wondered about the mats as they "sound" cheap - rubbermaid you called them..does that mean they are rubber not carpet? It was hard to tell by description. Guess I can't ask you about the rest though...you didn't get any. Hopefully we'll get some input on some of this..the ground effects...and the sub woofer...really would love to know more. Does the ground effects make the car lower to the ground (I have a steep driveway..my Z3 barely makes it, my 240SX does not make it most of the time - ouch). Thanks again.
    I checked out those sites..thanks and saw the mats on the Toyota one. I like the 2005 blue much better than the 2006 blue..figures...and I'm not usually a "blue car" person. I saw one on the road today and rolled down the window and asked the driver what year/color..it was the indigo ink pearl whatever it's called and a 2005.
  • scootertrash2scootertrash2 Member Posts: 71
    Yes.
  • gator93gator93 Member Posts: 5
    The Scion web site lists a door speaker upgrade with a 100 watt amp. It's separate from the one they offer with the Bazooka Base. Does anyone have any details on this option, or has anyone purchased it? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.