Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
With the 2005s hitting the floors, it's time for buyers to share their purchasing experience. Let us know how you did!

kirstie_h
Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    Thank you for one more forum ;) I probably will post in this in a year's time.

ksso
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    GOOD MORNING,
     I BOUGHT MY RL ON THE 12TH. AND I THINK IT'S A GREAT CAR . I HAVE HAD SOME MEMORY ISSUES WITH DRIVER RECOGNITION BUT THE BUGS ARE SLOWLY BEING WORKED OUT TECH SUPPORT DIDN'T EVEN HAVE MANUALS ON THE 13TH.THEY ASKED ME TO BE PATIENT .WHICH WAS NO PROBLEM.(THEY SAID MINE WAS THE FIRST ONE SOLD SO I'D BE THE GIENUE PIG HA HA . PRICE WAS 51000 OUT THE DOOR TAXES WARRANTY WINDOW TINT . HOPE THIS HELPS
  • scoutscout Member Posts: 3
    Did you lease? What term and what per month....thanks
    OH SORRY IMPORTANT DETAIL I PAID CASH (SORRY)
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Doesn't everybody? :)
    I THOUGHT SO :)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    OK, who's going to tell josheel to turn off the CAP? :)
  • scoutscout Member Posts: 3
    So..if you paid cash...you figured you'd keep the car for how long and the residual value would be how much? (I would then take cost minus residual and divide by months owned to see if that's better than lease)
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    If you go to Acura 2005 RL forum, think around 145, you will find some lease payment that people have.
    The bottom line is you always buy a car if you can, I mean why pay for the interest.
    The only occasion that I can think of leasing over buying is that if you use the car for business use, then it makes sense to lease a car as you can count it toward your expanse.
    Anyway, it is your money:-)
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    I picked up my RL on the 14th - the first one out the door at my dealer.

So far, I love it. It handles beautifully, it's very quiet, the seats are firm and comfortable, the stereo is fantastic, I'm already addicted to XM radio, and the navi system is great. I haven't had nearly enough time to figure out all the technology - slowly but surely. There are a number of menu screens to go through to set all your personal preferences. You can ignore all of it if you wish, but it enables almost total personalization of most of the features of the car.

The voice recognition features are taking some getting used to. Commands must be very precise and require memorization if you're going to fully utilize this feature.

My only disappointments:

- I thought the doors would lock automatically when you walked away from the car with the key fob in your pocket. In the lead up to release of the RL, I'd read several things that implied they did lock automatically, but they don't. I do love the keyless feature, though. Not having to fish around for keys is great. Really looking forward to the winter since I'm always putting my keys in a different pocket of my coat. No more worries about that (at least until I get to the house and have to find them).

- The Bluetooth capability is great, except all numbers have to be programmed into both your phone's phonebook, as well as the RL's phonebook. This wasn't a surprise, since I'd read that earlier, but it's still a disappointment.

Overall, I love the car and don't miss my 99 RL, at all!
    TO ALL CONCERNED,

I SAVED FOR TEN YEARS TO BUY THE RIGHT CAR WHEN IT CAME ALONG THE RL FELT LIKE THE RIGHT CAR OTHERWISE I'D STILL BE SAVING. I CHECKED WITH AN ACCOUNTANT AND AT THIS POINT IT WAS WISER TO PAY FOR THE CAR IN CASH BECAUSE INTEREST RATES ON LOANS AND "LEASES" ARE HIGHER THAN WHAT YOU CAN EARN AT THE BANK INVESTMENTS ETC. ETC. I HOPE THIS HELPS THE PEOPLE WHO SEEM TO BE BOTHER BY MY PAYING FOR MY CAR AND I HOPE FOR OUR CANADIAN FRIEND THIS SERVES AS THE "CAP" HE WANTED CUT OUT.

THANKS
    you hit it right on the head about the rl that's how i feel about mine but couldn't put it into words.i thought the same thing about the car locking when you walked away (oh well) enjoy your car good luck
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    josheel -
    the CAP he's talking about is typing with your CAPS LOCK on. It makes your posts very hard to read, and is the message board equivalent of SHOUTING!!
    Thanks for sharing your purchasing experience, though, and I hope you love your new car. If you had a good experience purchasing, let us know the name of your friendly dealership (no salespeople's names!)

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    You don't have to apologize to anybody, Josheel. Cash is always the cheapest way to pay for a car. I hope you enjoy your new vehicle. Only please type with lower case letters-not capitalized letters. When you type with capitalized letters, this is the equivalent of SHOUTING!
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Agreed cash is always best if you will be holding on to it and if it is not for business use. I hate owing money and do hold on to my vehicles especially if I like them.

Josheel, you mentioned warranty. Did you get an extended warranty for your $51K and what was your tax rate. Any options at all?

I wish the car was a little larger, especially in trunk. I doubt if 4 golf bags will fit in the trunk. My wife said she wouldn't mind using it on the days I need the room. I'd take her Sub SW.
    A journalist would like to interview an Acura RL driver who loaded his/her vehicle with lots of high-tech options.
    Please send your daytime contact info and a few words about your vehicle to [email protected] by Monday, October 25, 2004.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• hadhad Member Posts: 32
    Kirstie,

May we have the first name of this journalist?

Also, in reference to "high tech option" the car comes standard with them.

Do you want to know if the Bluetooth phone stuff works? Onstar, etc.

Thanks.
    hi my tax rate was 7.8% The Warranty was 5yr/ 100K with 0 deduct. opttions where floor mats window tint that's it .
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    At 51K you must have got a significant discount on the car as standard list is $49470 + Ext Warranty (say 1500) + floor mats 100 est+ tint 200 est = 50970 + 7.8% (3975) = 54945.

That's almost $4K discount according to my calcs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The local dealers around here say they are selling at list. I haven't actually made an offer so that may not be firm, as money does talk.
  • wfj1998wfj1998 Member Posts: 9
    Just drove an '05 RL, salesperson quoted me drive-out of $53,168.
    Is this good?
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    Burlingame (California) Acura is asking $2,995 over sticker. First shipment is five RL's of which two are already sold. I'll be looking elsewhere.

"wfj1998" - there's no way to comment on whether that's a good price. You don't tell us if that includes taxes, license or title. Plus we'd need to know those figures. And finally, what options were included?
    $49,869 plus 6.25 tax, title & license = "drive-out" of $53,168. Standard features.
    Oh, this includes floor mats & tint. Sorry
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    Has anyone priced the 17" chrome wheels?
    The standard wheels seem totally matte and don't properly augment the lustre of the paint, IMHO.
    Additionally, whatever they cost, has anyone negotiated the price?
    Would appreciate.
    Thanks.
  • shawn3shawn3 Member Posts: 8
    I got my black/black one week ago tomorrow, and have approximately 600 miles on it already.

It rides beautifully, handling better than my E320 ever did.

I traded my 02 rl, got 22,000 for it and paid just a tad over 30k balance (with 5% tax on the diff- don't ask me to calculate it) In short-msrp- no markup.

Better mileage than the 02, and it isn't broken in yet :)

I absolutely love the car. Get one :)
    If you bought an RL and are willing to speak to a newspaper reporter about your car, particularly the high-tech options, please contact [email protected] ASAP!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Like Surrfurtom I'm thinking the math indicates a sizable discount....unless maybe your trade-in was significant and saved you a bundle on the Sales Tax?
    This is my 3rd acura in 15 months so I,m guessing they treated me well.
    You didn't like the other 2, or you just like to turn your cars over frequently?
    I kept our MDX and let the RL go.
    All our Acuras have been great can't find a reason to buy any other make I've had everything except M.B. and V.W.
  • gator5000egator5000e Member Posts: 90
    Hi all. I am brand new to this forum. I find everyone on this forum to be well informed, so I thought I would post this offer I received from a local Orlando Acura dealer to see what everyone thought. I am a leasing novice. Here is the offer:

THE FOLLOWING IS A TOTAL WITH TAXES, TAG , ETC....

48 MONTH LEASE 15K YEAR.... 620.79 PLUS TAX = 661.15 (6.5% TAX)

TOTAL DUE AT SIGNING = $6,954.00

1ST PAYMENT = $661.14

SECURITY DEPOSIT = $675.00( ROUNDED OFF TO NEAREST 25.00)

CAP COST REDUCTION = $5000.00

TAX ON CAP COST REDUCTION = $325.00

FL. RENTAL SURCHARGE = $60.00

TIRE AND BATTERY = $6.50

FILING FEE = $16.00

FL FEES = $5.36 (TAX ON 60.00+6.50+16.00)

TAG, LICENSE PLATE=205.00

36MOS 12K YR... 799+TAX 58% RESIDUAL
    48MOS 12K YR... 708+TAX 49% RESIDUAL

36 MONTH FACTOR. .00290
    48 MONTH FACTOR. .00255

While this may not be the way to figure this, it appears that I would be shelling out $29,760 over 48 months, plus the $5,000 for cap reduction and $661 for first payment for a total paid of $35,421.00 through the end of the lease.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone may have on this deal.
  • hadhad Member Posts: 32
    What's up?
    the server was closed to new posts for awhile for data-updating.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The terms of the lease are pretty standard but the money factor (interest rates) at 6.96% and 6.12% are not very competitive. Without the cap reduction of $5,000 I suspect the interest rate would be at least 7.5%.

The 58% residual however seems reasonable. By the way, have you considered financing through a home equity loan? That way you can deduct the interest at least. However, if the car will be used primarily for business the lease is the better way to go.
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    Good everyone;
    Well, I got a response from Honda Canada about why they are pricing the 2005 RL $10,000CDN more than the US version of the same car. It's a bunch of nonsense but I thought that I should let everyone see what their explanation is:

When we price a vehicle for the Canadian market, we look at Canadian market
    conditions -- specifically, the competitive position of the product from a
    feature and content perspective as our primary means of setting the price.
    We also look at competitive sales volumes and our projected volumes as
    other factors.

The U.S. price is not a factor in our decision-making. In fact, in many
    instances we do not know their final price before we make our pricing
    decision. As well, there are always differences between U. S. and Canadian
    vehicles that make direct comparisons impossible. For example, the RL for
    Canada has ventilated seats and headlight washers as well as three-year
    complimentary maintenance that the U.S. does not offer.

To reiterate, we price our Canadian products for sale in Canada and, as
    such, focus only on Canadian market conditions and our own business
    objectives -- not on the U.S. (which is a completely different market with
    completely different market dynamics and complexities).

Hope that helps.

You will notice the ventilated seats, headlight washers and free oil changres being the $10,000CDN difference.
    Glad I got that off my chest and can't wait to see the new Infiniti M and Lexus G series this coming spring. Hopefully Infiniti & Lexus will price them more in line with the US price.
    Good Day;
    Babs
  • kenw1kenw1 Member Posts: 30
    Hi Babs:

Thanks for that explanation. We Canadians are also being gouged on leasing terms: I was quoted 7.4% interest with a 52% residual for 36 months, 49% for 48 months. The salesman did not mention anything about 3 years' "free" maintenance.

Also, although we get the ventilated seats we don't get XM radio and Acuralink (Onstar). Alaska & Hawaii also don't get XM/Acuralink, but their MSRP is only US$48,165. On top of that, if you compare the Canadian & US Acura websites, you will find that the US has a lot more colors to choose from.

Anyway, with that kind of an attitude from Honda Canada, I will most likely be going with the Germans - Audi A6/A4 or BMW 330xi! At least they seem to treat us the same as Americans!
    I do think Honda Canada's explanation is pure spin. However, for years and years, we paid comparatively less then our US brethrens, so, the knife cuts both ways.

Also, it is true that the US and Canadian car markets are totally different. For example, never mind paying under invoice, when was the last time you heard someone in Canada pay even close to invoice on a Japanese import. Somehow, the margin is bigger in the US, they get more rebates, etc. That's what happens when there's a 10X difference in the populations.
  • gator5000egator5000e Member Posts: 90
    Hi all. I am brand new to this forum. I find everyone on this forum to be well informed, so I thought I would post this offer I received from a local Orlando Acura dealer to see what everyone thought. I am a leasing novice. Here is the offer:

THE FOLLOWING IS A TOTAL WITH TAXES, TAG , ETC....

48 MONTH LEASE 15K YEAR.... 620.79 PLUS TAX = 661.15 (6.5% TAX)
    1ST PAYMENT = $661.14
    SECURITY DEPOSIT = $675.00( ROUNDED OFF TO NEAREST 25.00)
    CAP COST REDUCTION = $5000.00
    TAX ON CAP COST REDUCTION = $325.00
    FL. RENTAL SURCHARGE = $60.00
    TIRE AND BATTERY = $6.50
    FILING FEE = $16.00
    FL FEES = $5.36 (TAX ON 60.00+6.50+16.00)
    TAG, LICENSE PLATE=205.00
    36MOS 12K YR... 799+TAX 58% RESIDUAL
    48MOS 12K YR... 708+TAX 49% RESIDUAL

36 MONTH FACTOR. .00290
    48 MONTH FACTOR. .00255

While this may not be the way to figure this, it appears that I would be shelling out $29,760 over 48 months, plus the $5,000 for cap reduction and $661 for first payment for a total paid of $35,421.00 through the end of the lease.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone may have on this deal.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    The dealer locally have been hounding me to give them an offer. They said they have quite a few in stock and will work with me on a price.

I have already told them that I will not pay MSRP because there are lots to competition in that price range.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Offer them $1.5-$2k under mrsp and see what they counter.

What are you going to do? Keep us up to date.
  • toad2toad2 Member Posts: 9
    On 10/02/04, I put a $500 refundable deposit on a 2005 RL. The signed purchase order was for a total sales price of $49k. The dealer agreed to waive the $570 destination charge and processing fee.

Today I get This email from the dealer..."I needed to send you this email to let you know I screwed up and there is no easy way to say this that's why I'm saying it through a email because this isn't easy. The mistake I made was telling you that I could discount the RL by taking off the destination charge of $570. I was under the impression that I would be able to do that and still keep my job, I can promise you I was dead wrong! I was correct, I could give you a discount of $570 but it was for 2005 TL only not the RL. I can speak to my manager when he arrives tomorrow to see if there's something we can work out as far as discounting any dealer installed accessories to your new RL if there are any that interest you? For the record I just discovered my mistake on Saturday and have been trying figure the proper way to tell you and this was the best I could come up with........I'm sorry.
    Sincerely,"

What would you do?
    Cancel the order, get your deposit back, and go to another dealer. Run, don't walk. This guy is trying to take you for a sucker. Even if it was a genuine mistake, the dealership should back him and give you the discount. And at best, this guy is unprofessional. If he genuinely made a mistake, he should have picked up the phone and talked to you personally, rather than using email.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Tell him (by email?), you had a deal and you expect intergrity and him to honor it. If he cannot, you will be calling and expect an immediate refund of your deposit.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ...... Unfortunately the Salesman made mistake, it happens, he's only human ...

That being said, I've made a few bloopers myself, but I have always honored the written price, even at a loss ..... I would make an appointment with the General Sales Manager and discuss this "Mano a mano" (in a nice way) and go from there .. email is convenient, but a face and a smile can make ALL the difference ................. :)

Terry.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    He should honor the price he told you. If not, just ask for your deposit back. No big deal.

Even if he gave you $500 off sticker, he's still making several thousand dollars off this deal on a high end car.

I'm not impressed with the styling of the new 2005 RL anyway. It doesn't have the presence of a $50,000 car. The 35K TL looks a lot sexier.
  • gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    Picked up my wife's Blue RL two nights ago in NJ. $1500 off MSRP.

Yep, that's right. $1500 off MSRP.

Dealer had 2 in stock- one that was being driven by the GM and used as the test drive vehicle, the other was on the floor.

Walked in, test drove, discussed colors, timing, etc. Was about to place an order for a black RL at MSRP. Wife comes over, says she doesn't mind the blue- she hasn't owned a blue car since a Caprice Classic in the mid 80's.

Anyway, salesman asks if we have an interest in the one sitting on the floor. How many miles? 55- they were using it one day for test drives. Mention I am not thrilled that the hardest 55 miles on the car in its entire life will have been the first 55 miles. No thanks.

Comes back in with the deposit forms for the black RL, sales manager walks over and asks us again about our interest in the blue. Reiterate that it's not our first choice. He asks what would make it our first choice and I tell him 2k off. He smiles, says "No games? If you purchase the car tonight, right now, I will sell it to you for $1500 below MSRP." I ask if the deal will be good tomorrow, and you know his response? Sure will. But I won't hold it for you.

Shook hands, done deal. Northern NJ dealer- promised I wouldn't divulge name. He did indicate, however, that if/when he has some of these in stock, he'll discount slightly. His reasoning- "We're Acura. I don't want my RL customer to purchase the RL and then go for the next great car in 5 years. I want him to walk back into my dealership, ask for me or the guy who sold him this car, and feel confident he's getting a great car at a solid price. We're a luxury brand, but I know my customers are buying Acura because of the quality and value of Acura, not necessarily because of the badge." And you know what? My son is looking at a TL- I'll steer him this way. Was it a schtick? I'm sure I'm not the first to get that speech. But he backed up his words with action- and sold a car and bought a customer.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Dealer Invoice on the 05 RL is just over $44,100 according to cars direct. Even at $1500 off, the dealer still made $3500+ profit.
    As a salesman (insurance), if I screw up I pay the price. I'm licensed by the state and if I don't do my job correctly, I don't get to keep it.

Personally, I'd first contact the sales manager and explain that s/he can resolve the matter in your favor or you'll let Acura corporate do it. Honda/Acura is very sensitive to these things right now. Complaints to them are not something the dealer wants to deal with.
    Drove the new RL at Marin Acura (Corte Madera, CA) last Tuesday. Black on black. Sexy. But liked the red & tan better. Loved the electronics and all those fun buttons & voice commands. But alas, I fear I'd grow tired of them rather quickly. I love such toys but frankly this car has too many.

Car rides nice and handles better. The power is more than enough for those of us not in a mid-life crisis. Drivers seat is not as comfy as my 2002 RL (probably due to the fact there's more of me than there is of the seat in the new RL). But overall I had a better seating position in the 2005 than the 2002.

While the car is great, I just don't see myself spending that much money on a car. My 2002 RL cost me just over $36K new. $49K is a big jump for me. I drive less than 8,000 miles a year and most of it is short commute to office or 2 hour freeway drive on the weekends. A boring, but comfortable car is just fine for me. That's why I think I'll be trading down to an Accord the next time I purchase. Heck, the new Accord is now more than equal to the 1999 TL I had.

By the way, this dealer thinks they are just going to be overflowing with BMW & Mercedes owners wanting an RL. Keep in mind this dealer is in the most affluent county in California. At their RL premier party the average age of the 3 dozen or so people who were there was well over 60. At 48 I was the youngest. These are BMW & Mercedes owners coming over to buy a fancy-smancy Honda? When is the last time you heard a German car lover say they would be delighted to own a Japanese car? Regardless, good luck on that Acura. I think you're kidding yourselves.

Oh yeah, I discussed a purchase with them but there was no attempt at any discount ($2,499 dealer markup). In the nicest way, they explained they were not offering deals because "we don't have to".

Sorry for the long message but I feel better now.