Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I don't think $599/mo. is all that great on this car for a lease.
  • apempelapempel Member Posts: 8
    Well turns out the 2005 for $35K was titled in Oct. 05, not Oct. 04. So that's better.

But here's what's keeping me awake at night. I'm really stressed about this as it's such a big decision as I plan on driving the car for several years.

Just stumbled on 2005 offered by private owner that has only 11K miles instead of 22K and has wood trim on steering wheel (something I've always liked), and has one owner, all service records from dealer, clean Carfax (as does the other one), etc. Listed at about $6K more, but they said they're open to offers.

So, the used car dealer on the initial one for $35K will only hold it until tomorrow. Then it goes back on lot. Other car is a few hours away and I'm not sure when they're available and when I can get over there this week.

Do I risk losing the one here and try and go see the other one this weekend to see what they'll take? Let's say they come down some. At what price point is it a better deal to get one with wood and 11K less miles?

OR should I just buy the one here and be done with it, knowing I liked the car a lot and that they'll always be a better car, better deal somewhere and just move on. As you can tell, I have a hard time making big decisions and then sticking to them with no regrets. And I hate missing out on a better deal.
  • gcookgcook Member Posts: 33
    If you look back a few pages, some people were buying BRAND NEW 2006 rl's for ~41k, so if were going to spend a couple thousand more you may be able to shop around and find a dealer with a '06 that wants to get rid of it. If you want to pay a little more you may be able to get a brand new one, then you won't have to worry about 11k or 22k miles....I understand though how one could be stretched at 35k and spending that extra is out of the question..
    The old saying, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" comes to mind. Are you dead set on getting an RL? If not, there are a few brand new options for about the same money. The new Infiniti G35 comes immediately to mind. As was mentioned, if you can cough up just a few grand more, you can get a brand new RL.
    Yes, I'm set on the RL. I have 144K on my 2000 I30 and don't want to do the 150K service, so I still have a few months. Local dealers do not have any 06 RLs left. I think one a little ways away had one, but it had black interior, which I hate.

Maybe I should just let both cars go, take a step back and look again in a few months. Would 07s this fall be as low as $37 or $38? That's the range I need to be in.

Or maybe I should just buy the 05 one here at $35K and be done with it.
    Then wait it out. There's bound to be a better deal down the road. There always is.
  • gearheadedgearheaded Member Posts: 19
    I personally would not consider an 05 RL because of all of the issues that seem to be associated with that new model year but if you decide to go for it the cost of an extended warranty might be worth it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    There will always be another RL down the road... Don't get in a hurry...

I did a search within 200 miles of Orlando.. There are 39 used '05-'06 RLs, priced between $32K-$40K..

Including an '06 with 6K miles at a Honda dealer in Orlando, priced at $37,500..

Just an example... there will be plenty available.. take the time to find the right one, at the right price..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mbellamymbellamy Member Posts: 9
    I doubt you'll find 07s for $37-38K, but who knows? Also, the tech package with navigation bumps the price up. When I researched my 06, some people were getting them for $39.5K-$41K, sometimes with quite a few options thrown in, like back-up camera.

I opted for a 2006 model, which comes with navigation system standard. Love the car! Hope you can find what you want. A good dealer should be able to find you an 06 at another dealer and work a deal.

You've probably seen that used 05RLs are about $35-37K--they seem to hold their value well. But that doesn't stop you from negotiating like crazy! Thought it is the first model year, the owners who posted recent reviews on Edmunds seem happy.

Good luck! RL owners love their cars! :D
    I can't find that one in Orlando at Honda dealer. And just a few 06s in Florida. Which search method did you use?

I may visit dealer up the road again and see if they can search other dealer inventory for 06s.

Thanks for your help. You have no idea how much better I feel when I hear from you all!
    thanks. Found by using yahoo. Hate white, but looks nice.
    Yeah.. that was just one example..

My point is... Take your time... there are, and will be, a lot to choose from..

Also, figure that the selling price on a used car in that range can easily be $2K under the asking price.. Don't get put off by cars that they are asking $39K-$41K for..

regards,
    kyfdx
    (I like the white.. :) )

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• minmanminman Member Posts: 6
    anybody know when the 08 RLs are coming out? Any good sites to check on new vehicle arrivals, and if any changes are expected?
  • roadglide1roadglide1 Member Posts: 3
    having owned an 06 rl with tech package, have to admit this is a fine auto, wife bought this car at a discount of over 9000.00 off sticker (no dealer mark up), for the price this is one great auto, using the autshifter helps keep the tranny in the correct rpm range for agressive driving, milage is not bad (we are averaging over 20 MPH on the average), wife loves the car and all sales people in the computer world who ride in this car are very impressed to the point of commenting on how they had wished they looked at it before buying thir BMW / AUDI / Merch.
  • rontomrontom Member Posts: 3
    Purchased an '06 RL's in mid-December. ($10,000.00 savings of MSRP the dealer did have a few extras put on the car. Had to have the sunroof deflector removed becasuse of wind noise above 40 mph. Got a refund from the dealer, they said that they have had lots of complaints about the wind noise. Sales person at the Dealership said there are no scheduled body changes until the '09 model. They only had two RL's left, and I purchased one, and another buyer came in right behind me and purchased the other remaining one on the same day. From what I have seen the '07 cost a few bucks more and the standard equipment on the '06 is only available if you purchase a package on the '07. Oh, by the way, I live in Delaware and have a whopping <800 miles on it less than 3 months of ownership. Getting about 18mpg, but I hope it improves, Iam sure it will. Don't drive much as you can see.
  • carfan28carfan28 Member Posts: 43
    I've bought 2 cars from a local Acura dealer. My lease is about up with my TL. They offered to sell me a 2007 RL with Tech package for $45,436 - invoice/destination + $499.

What do you think of the price? Might Acura start offering cashback for the 2007 RL like they did for the 2006 RL? I need to get a new ride by early May.
    Price sounds about right. Acrua themselves, has never given a discount. The reduction was made by the dealer on my '06 RL. So now we know, how the pie is divided. You didn't say you lived in which state, just make sure there isn't an additional charge for "Administrative Fee" for the dealer handling all of those aspects. Seems we pay enough already, just another gimmie-gimmie from the dealer. Taxes and Tags one has to deal with which is beyond the negotiated price of the car which should be all inclusive. i.e. not included taxes and tags.
    Thanks.

3 year MV registration, document fees, tire tax about $500. Plus State tax of course.
    Has anyone seen any deals on '07 models yet? They have been out for a few months now. Does anyone know how they are selling?
    3/1/07-4/30/07 $3500 "Marketing Support" incentive just announced for the RL. Prices will now drop even more
    I talked to the dealer on the marketing incentive, and they are saying that it is for 06 models. That is weird, right, since the 06's are probably all gone. I saw Edmunds lists the incentive under "incentives" but it is unclear on the model year. I want to pay invoice - incentive. That comes out to about 44 for the 07 pax/tech. The dealers are acting like the car is in high demand. I know better, but I may need to wait until the end of the month...
    2007 Acura RL

The $3500 is on the 2007 model.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ah, the joys of purchasing a new car! Have you tried Autobytel? I used them a couple of years ago and saved $500.00 over the local no-deal dealer which was just down the street. Granted, they still have to do the service on the car... but they did not make a sale, to bad for them. At the time you were not obligated to make the purchase from the Autobytel selected dealer, but at least you will geta sense of what the dealer can do. I don't see any "RLs" advertised in the local papers, maybe that is Acura's stratagie to keep them under wraps and to find the buyer looking for that particular model so they can make as much as they can. Greed is an inderesting product.
    Gotten a couple of quotes on 07 base RL and dealers at this point do not seem to be giving anything off invoice even though they now have $3,500 coming back in the form of marketing support. In my opinion since these aren't moving well and Acura is paying the incentive, prices should reflect invoice minus almost the entire incentive the way they were at the end of '06. Am I missing something? :confuse:
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    The lack of initiative by dealers to discount the rl (and other acura models) may have something to do with the new Consumer Reports excellent ratings of Acura's line of vehicles. Published this month in Consumer's Reports.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
    Think I found the reason for the RL incentive. Acura sold a grand total of 395 RL's in Feb 2007 down 45% compared to one year ago. I realize the RL is a lower volume "flagship" but the TL and MDX each sold over 4,000 units in February.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/03/01/038735.html

Prices have to start dropping further. Wonder why sales went off the cliff? Maybe I'll wait for the incentive to go to $5k...
    In New Jersey the RL is selling for at least $2K under invoice. If you call around in NJ you can even do better. At Acurazine.com a SoCal guy got quoted $3K under invoice.

$3500 factory discount is available until 4/30/07. No details on post 4/30/07- my guess is that the incentive will continue.
  • jaybee85jaybee85 Member Posts: 25
    Contrary to jensad's above post, Consumer Reports new April annual auto issue, just out, gave the RL only an average rating for reliability, indicating problems with electrical, brakes, power equipment and audio system - no better than the troubled 2005 model. I was hoping RL would return to well above average - like TL or even Accord.
    CR did recommend the RL overall, but I'm left disappointed. RL is not an excellent car.

After 4 Legends, the present 1999 3.5 RL and several Integras, all with excellent reliability, maybe it's time to move on to something different. I'd prefer a new RL this year, but I insist on high reliability; I'll have to think more about TL(but no awd), even the new Infiniti G35x. Even Accord!

Anybody else disappointed?
    Here's a link to the Consumer Reports Review:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/models/acura/rl/model-overview-4719-5696- - .htm

As you can see for 2006 the RL has jumped UP a "spot" in all the following categories in terms of reliability:
    Transmission, Drive System, Climate System, Brakes, Body Integrity, Body Hardware. Many of these 1 spot jumps made gave the RL the top rating in that category. Power Equipment jumped UP 2 spots.

The only category that gave it a "poor rating" is for the audio system. This I can't understand. Not one person at any of these forums or THE OTHER popular forums complain about problems with the audio system. My service manager has received 0 complaints about the audio system. I think some people give it poor marks because they have trouble figuring out a rather complex sound system. The electrical system dropped a spot too- not sure what that's all about.

As you state the RL is still "recommended" by CR. I am disappointed that it's not the top pick- probably has a great deal to do with the 2005 first year model CR hangover that had many bugs.
    ... Anybody else disappointed?

Yes.
  • egraboregrabor Member Posts: 6
    We just bought a 2007 Acura RL- it is Carbon Gray Pearl. It is gorgeous with the light upholstery. We put on the Wood
    steering wheel as well as the Wood Knob. (with many other add ons). We absolutely love it, this is our 5th Acura, we have a 2002 TL in the garage also. We would never consider buying any car but an Acura. But-we have some big personal medical problems and no insurance that will cover, SO we will have to sell it. Can't believe it, - we only have 500 miles on it and that was driving it home from the dealership.
    I have never, ever had any problems with my five Acuras, and can't imagine having any thing else. So don't hesitate to buy one. If you want, you can e-mail me bob-elaine@comcast.net
    Best quote for a base so far is $38,450 in the MD area. Anyone doing better? Still deciding whether I want to spring the extra $$ for the Tech Pkg. Any recomendations? :confuse:
  • pghacura1pghacura1 Member Posts: 5
    You should also note that the current issue rates cars tested from each manufacturer and average rating, plus number of recomended cars verses tested models. Acura is second highest in average rating and the only manufacturer at 100% recomended.
    I own a trouble free 2006 RL, no problems except for the transmission in my 2002 TL-S, have a G35 Coupe (brake problems), 2007 VW EOS (no problems, no leaks), 1992 Acura Legend (had body rust problems, but still have, clasic design).
    Acura RL has to be biggest bargin on the market, got mine for $40,000.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Gearheaded,

Could you mention dealer or city/town?
  • jfredricksonjfredrickson Member Posts: 6
    Purchased a 2007 RL Base for $38,200. TTL not included in this number. No options ordered. This vehicle blows away my 2000 RL...Dealership located in NW suburban Chicago.
  • joe138joe138 Member Posts: 1
    JFredrickson

Good info; thanks. Did the price include the destination fee? Did you get that price at Mullers or Arlington? Thanks again.
  • jfredricksonjfredrickson Member Posts: 6
    price included destination fee...Mullers
  • twmarktwmark Member Posts: 41
    2007 RL with Tech package 42395 excluding taxes etc. Is this a good price for South Florida? Thanks
    Just pulled the trigger on a purchase of this great car. Paid $41,936 + Tax and Registration. Included was the destination and handling fee, slash guards installed and wheel locks. The trunk tray and all weather mats from my 2004 TL fit great. I also decided get a faux wood steering wheel installed- nice finishing touch. I'm in New Jersey.
    Yes, sounds like a good price to me. See if they'll throw in some accessories: splash guards, wheel locks, all weather mats, free oil changes, etc.
    Found a silver/taupe for $44,100 with pro pack ..
  • obrientwoobrientwo Member Posts: 9
    Am in the market for an RL with the tech package. I am aware of the $3500 rebate. Should I offer $1000 over invoice assuming I get the $3500????? Thanks.
    PS I live in the Bay Area.
    I'd offer invoice- straight up. See if they'll take it. SoCal reports that price or even better.
  • obrientwoobrientwo Member Posts: 9
    Straight up and demand the $3500 rebate? Would be a sweet deal.
    Thanks for your post
  • garnetgarnet Member Posts: 7
    No, no, no. Not sweet sufficently! Forget all that invoice jazz! Got my spankin' new '06 RL back in July '06 for a grand, grand off sticker! Throw all caution to the wind and come out a winner every time! It's what Senior citizens do.
    STOP. DON'T PAY INVOICE ***READ THIS*****

I was contemplating the RL tech in the BAY AREA and I got the Tech/PAX, but I got these offers on the 07 RL Tech.

I can do the following pricing on the 2007 RL.
    Wheel Locks, Splash Guards, and Trunk Tray. (Serramonte Acura): RL TECH: $40,600 with Pro-Pack

And another dealer (Autowest Acura):

Wheel Locks, Splash Guards, and Trunk Tray.
    RL TECH: $41,000 with Pro-Pack
  • bobby423bobby423 Member Posts: 8
    what is the Pro-Pack? Thanks much.
    Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray and all weather mats.
  • sjarrellsjarrell Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an '07 RL + Nav + Propack + Ipod cable for $42,400 +TTL from Ed Morse Acura in Pompano Beach, FL. Dealt with the Internet manager. Offered $42K originally (no Propack or Ipod cable), but the car they had available in the color combination I wanted already had Propack, and I decided I wanted the Ipod cable. All in all $42K +- for this car is a real bargain! Obviously they had to figure in their $3,500 marketing credit from Acura to get to this number.
    So it seems that you didn't get the $3500 credit. Based on what people have been paying lately, you probably should've been able to come out paying around $39K. But $42K still isn't bad! ;)