Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Q7

Comments

• quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Haha seriousley. and they just tested the outlook, and, as predicted by us, the Outlook came no where NEAR the q7 with performance numbers...slalom was something like 57 for the saturn vs 67 for the q7!! and the braking...the q7 is somewhere near 112 feet, maybe 116 or something like that, and the outlook was 135-140!! Yeah coldcranker, uhh, told ya...
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Q7 comparisons: Who tested the Outlook, quattroporte12? Where's your source? The Outlook isn't out yet. And if you're complaining about a few bugs to iron out, remember these vehicles aren't on the road yet.

Here's what we know now (look out Q7!): The GMC Acadia just got a "First Drive" from Car and Driver, the best auto testers around. A quote: "The steering is precise and accurate, the handling is poised, body control in the twisties is excellent, and the ride is well controlled and supple. The brakes have a firm pedal feel, and are able to woe the 5000-pound Acadia with aplomb." That was from (click the following link)Acadia Test Drive

Uh-oh, the Q7 may be in for trouble, as I predicted. We still await more tests, so we'll see. Still no numbers to compare, except for MPG (GM wins) and HP/weight (about equal, slight edge to GM). Need crash test results, handling, etc.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Errrr

Outlook Full test...

Yeah that was a FWD V6 but my gut is telling me even the AWD V8 model(I think they are still going to build that) won't do much better.
    british_rover,
    Not much solid info in the low-budget "Inside Line" test you cite. Road and Track, Car and Driver are the ones to go with. Still, the Inside Line test was very encouraging that the 3.6L Q7 version might have a little competition.
    Uhh i wouldnt be talking about Inside Line being low budget when youre talking on THEIR forums...but whatever...and i just picked my Q7 up a couple days ago and it is by FAR better than any gmc or buick will ever be...i dont care that they are "new" gm vehicles, i have seen pictures of the interior, they have the same parts as in the tahoe and yukon...which are NOT on the same level as the Q7. I am almost positive that plastic panels will be used many places inside on the acadia etc...where as the Q7 has very nice vinyl covered panels on the doors and load area sides. And, even if you compare source to source (the q7 numbers i posted earlier were from the motortrend suv of the year award, which the q7 was a top 10 finisher and best handling suv of the test btw) then the slalom numbers are still outlook:57 vs q7:61 and braking 135 vs 118. And with the styling...i think gm needs some work as well. the acaidia is probably the best of the three (buick is too rounded and outlook is un-preportional) but it still has too much black, plastic trim on the outside. If you need the tests from a "high-budget" tester to pick the q7 as better (which they will) then i guess youll have to wait. I do not need those tests because i am happy with my q7 and know it is such an amazing vehicle it will easily beat a gmc or buick on the backroads. Oh and heres a quote i found from the car and driver article "At $45,000 fully loaded, it’s straying into competition with some smaller luxury trucks, such as the Mercedes ML350 and Volvo XC90, but if a buyer can keep the tag in the mid- to high $30,000 bracket, it offers a lot of vehicle for the money." Exactly...who would want a Gmc for 45grand when you can have a mercedes or...Audi q7...for example. ;)
    The Outlook starts at $28,000 MSRP, so loaded up a bit it would equal the Q7's base price of $38,000. You don't need to load it up to $45,000. There may be some concern about roll stiffness in the Outlook vs. Q7, as the 255 mm width tires on the Outlook should out skidpad the Q7's 235 mm tires. I may be singing the German national anthem unless Car and Driver can shed some light on this...

On the subject of the Inside Line tests, its well known they can't compare to the major league testers out there.
    I guess we'll have to wait and see...All i know is that i just got my q7 and LOVE it! I just cant see any SUV, Saturn or Bentley, being better...maybe in certain categories, but, when EVERYTHING is taken into consideration the Q7 is an AMAZING vehicle...
  • guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    Comparing the GM trio to the Q7 is like comparing grape juice to a good red wine. They both have the same specs (ingredient: grape juice) but the end product is very different. ;)

BTW I do not own a Q7 or any german car. I own 2 Volvo's (XC90 and S60) and a Hyundai Tucson (for the kids). I did test drive a Q7 which I don't think you did.
    guyfr,
    The wine/grape analogy is imagined. Thats what Audi wants you to believe. Fact is, you don't know what each are made of. (Metallurgy, # of spot welds, material selection, fit/finish are not that much different.) The fact that the Q7 weighs 5,000 lbs means they failed at structural optimization already. And for test drives, the only real way to tell is to let the experts drive it, instrumented and with expert eyes and hands. Someone might test drive it to form a final opinion, but if anybody thinks they can glean as much from a test drive as the experts, then they are delusional.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Who need test drives? We have car mags! Or just let the salesman do the test drive for you; after all he is the expert.

27 years ago I was like you, I trusted the demi-gods at C&D when they proclaimed the Chevy Citation the best car ever made and I let my girl friend buy one. That car was so bad it was actually dangerous to drive.

I don't care if a car is a tenth of a second quicker than another or if a journalist flown first class to Europe, Japan or wherever claim that the car built by whoever paid the ticket is the best ever. If "I" don't like it, I don't and I will buy something else.

A coworker bought an Equinox. He was so excited, how great this SUV was. Well at 40,000 miles this thing rattles from everywhere and the sounds from the suspension are just scary. He is far less excited now.

That will be it for me, you just don't get my point.

Time for another call...
  • justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70
    I need help from people who recently shopped for a luxury SUV and considered or ended up buying one of these: Q7/MDX 07/GL 450.

I am in the market for one right now. My needs are basically something that will fit 2 adults and 2 car seats and still have some extra space for occasional family/friends. So 3rd row is important as long as I can put 1 or 2 of the car steats there. It is important for the SUV to have excellent safety ratings, which I think all of these do. Other than that I would like it to drive like a car and also be fun for me (sport mode, acceleration, cornering, etc.) - when I am not driving with kids :D

I would appreciate if you recently bought one of these SUVs and could share as to how/why you chose that one over the others. Also if you can share your experience so far with your new SUV.

Thanks!
    I purchased a Q7 not long ago and it already has over 1000 miles because i am ALWAYS driving it!! It is really one of the best automobiles i have ever owned and by FARR my favorite SUV! First of all, the size is really greatt! From the outside, it looks a lot like the x5 in size, because of the beautiful styling. But inside, it is huge!! It has a third row that folds flat, and, on my q7 i got the 6 seat configuration which i think is a MUST! for me atlesat. it just takes out the middle seat in the second row and replaces it with a veryyy nice console and two more comfortable captains chairs. I also got the HUGE sunroof which makes the car even more AMAZING!! Then there is the handling...awesomee!!!! For an Suv, i dont think you could get any better considering the size of the vehicle (200 inches long!) It is heavy (in a good way, like, sturdy) and the steering is VERY tight and keeps the car very composed in the many turns near our house. I think the q7 is the best bet, with space, luxury, dynamics, and of course, GREAT safety! If you go on audiusa.com they have a rolling flash player that advertises that the q7 got two 5star ratings in safety...The GL im sure is a good car too...but i dont think it will corner nearly as well and will not be as reliable. The MDX i dont konw too mch about (ive heard its supposed to handle well) but, i personally do not like the styling and dont think its as luxurius at all as the Gl and definatley not as much as the q7. plus its not as large as the other two. So, i would def go with the q7 as my favorite out of those three (out of ALL the suvs actually)! I dont konw if youve driven one or not yet, but do and try the handling with the 20inch wheels, and make sure to check out one with the 6-seat configuration (if your dealer has one, they are kind of hard to find). Good luck. Hope you like the Audi!!
    Thanks for your input.

I did take MDX out today for an hour (my 2nd test drive). And I have the Q7 overnight at my home for an extended test drive :)

I am definitely leaning towards the Q7 - I pretty much agree with your comments above. My only concern is Audi's reliability. I know it will be ok for the 4 yr warranty period, but will it be ok for 10 years, if I do decide to keep it that long?
    Yeah i was a little concerned too because i know that VW's and Audis used to have a lot of problems. But if you look a the consumer reports ratings, there is definatley an upward trend with Audi and all of the "Big Grill" audi's seem to be doing a lot better. Plus you also have to remember that pretty much every car built today is a good car, because every year they get better and better. So what consumerreports does is really rate each car against each other. So if you think about it the difference between a Half-red circle and a half-black circle is not that much...considering that one could represent 12 problems and the other 18 for example. Thats just the way i looked at it. Plus i have a number of friends with Audi's that have told me their's have always held up great. I guess ill just haver to wait and see...but im pretty confident it will be fine.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Good news as Audi just amended the order guides on the Q7. You can now get the back-up camera with having to get the entire technology package. The tech package was 2400, and the back-up camera should run around $800-900 as a single option.
  • sachsisachsi Member Posts: 13
    We're pretty much in the same situation and have been shopping for a few months (I test drove pretty much everything in this category quite extensively). Here are my conclusions in brief, I hope they help you in your search for the right vehicle:
    - 07 BMW X5: Finally some cargo space, nice albeit spartan interior, very smooth new 3.0si engine, a bit more body roll than expected but overall a great ride. The third row's a joke. That and the price tag disqualified it for us.
    - 07 MDX: Out-BMWs the BMW. The standard suspension is exquisite and the vehicle drives phenomenally well. The sport package with the active suspension is a joke as it eliminates the progressive feel of the standard suspension ( the car may ride steady but it does not feel that way with the active magnetic suspension). Interior styling felt a bit too much like a Sony boom-box to me. The nav system and the way it's integrated puts all germans to shame. The cramped third row (the second row does not slide forward) disqualified it for us (we really need that third row at times) otherwise we probably would have bought one despite the questionable styling.
    - XC90: A solid plan B. Some questions about reliability but then we own an S60 and that one's been fine. Very comfortable but a not-very-refined ride when compared to all the newcomers. The seats are still better than anything else in the business i.m.o.. Elegant/simple interior, contrasts with the MDXs very busy dash. 07s somehow have better leg room in the third row, the 06s had virtually none.
    - GL: The styling, price and expected reliability didn't appeal much to us so we didn't spend much time trying it out.
    - Q7: This one came out the winner. Expensive and a bit heavy but very functional and exhibits a very composed ride. The V6 is adequate for us and the standard suspension is quite impressive (after a one-day trip on all possible kinds of roads including some very naughty twisties on Cal. Highway 1, just north of SF, I was sold). The third row's actually usable, the second one slides forward quite a bit, there's ample cargo room and there's enough trunk left for a day-trip with a car full of people will all seats up (or instead we can fit our big stroller in there with all seats up, something all other ones except for the Volvo have failed).
    If you plan to really use the third row, check out the its position, it's rather dangerously close to the back of the vehicle in all but the Q7 and the Volvo, especially in the MDX. Either way I would not put child seats in there (none of them have LATCH anchors in the third row and I believe that's for a reason). I think the Audi manual said they were there but I couldn't find them. The Audi worked OK with 2 child seats side by side on the second row leaving room to slide one seat forward to get into the third row.
    The shopping experience has also been best with Audi (second-best with Acura, worst with Mercedes and second-worst with BMW) but that's not indicative of what you may experience.

Hope this helps.

S.
    Sachsi, I agree with your overall analysis. I had also narrowed down my choices to 07 MDX and Q7 and bought the 07 MDX finally last month. We plan to use 3rd row very occassionaly, so it was not the deciding factor. What made me choose MDX over Q7 was how Acura does option packages. All the options that I wanted were nicely bundled in the Sport (incl Tech) + Ent package from the factory. When I tried to find similar options on Audi, it was a nightmare as you had to either pick options separately or choose packages that had too many extras. They were also hard to find - I looked at inventory until Feb/Mar 07 and the dealer could not find the vehicle that I looking for.

In the end I think both 07 MDX and Q7 are great vehicles and you can't go wrong either way.

BTW, I definitely agree with you that Audi have great sales staff. They actually let me take the car home for extended test drive and were also quite helpful overall.
  • erikerik Member Posts: 21
    I cant wait until the 3.0 Diesel TDI engine comes out in 2008. We have two VW TDI wagons and two kids and a Q7 in a diesel will work out great for us. Long trips to Michigan in a great SUV type vehicle.

Diesel envy
    My q7 did great in the snow that we got today...until someone smashed into the back of it and knocked the entire exhaust system down...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's a real pain. :sick:

Hope you don't need it but in case you do:

Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents
    Yeah it was. Thanks though.
    Do you know if you can retrofit a camera if we were to buy it and have the service department install it? I would have gotten that option if they had had it before, but i just did not need the whole tech package...
    I think you'd have to replace the whole rear bumper for the parking sensors. My guess is that it would be crazy expensive and cost you more than the tech package to begin with.
  • advequityguyadvequityguy Member Posts: 138
    Pretty extensive research. Here's some real world research:

All hail the new champion of obscene depreciation. Trust me.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    advequityguy, I think you forgot to put in the link.
    If the Q7 will be anything like the previous A6 then "obscene depreciation" may be one of the better ways to describe its future value. Nevertheless, if the primary focus was depreciation we'd probably be over on the Honda Pilot forum or such.
    Cheers!
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    Well, most higher-end cars depreciate quickly, but that usually only lasts the first couple of years when things slow down to a more reasonable level. That is the price paid for getting "luxury" vehicles I guess.
    As for the comparisons to the Outlook and Acadia, I'm not sure that this can be justified. For one thing GM has its own high-priced versions including the Enclave and the SRX. So any comparisons would need to involve them as well. Secondly, the driving experience is more important than just plain specifications. These aren't computers, they're vehicles. That means that the overall package can, and is in many cases much better than just the sum of the parts so-to-speak.
    Also, consider the interiors. There isn't even a GM vehicle that can compare to the interior of a nicely loaded Jetta, never mind any of the Audis. I know that many of their vehicles have updated interiors, but wow, ok so they caught up to what [non-permissible content removed]/Ger vehicles were like in the mid 90s. It seems like the leap they take is never large enough to bridge the gap. Hard-dimply like cheap plastic should not be formed all over the dash and side-paneling in a $45K+ truck/suv. So, unless there is dramatic improvement, I doubt that the Acadia/Outlook versions will be better. When they come out, a good test drive will be needed. However, I will say this given GM's marketing history. The Trailblazer/Envoy was supposed to do what Acadia/Outlook is doing now, but sales on those vehicles are already lousy and getting worse. At some point, they have to stop promising that their vehicles are going to be the next "big" thing and concentrate on good design. That way, when they do sell well, they have a good foundation to make the claim on. Right now, all they have is 30+ years of big disappointments in terms of what they promised vs. what has been delivered with just a few exceptions. Most people would rather go with a company that has hit "home runs" 90% of the time rather than one which does it 10% of the time. Just my $0.02.
    You really can't compare the A6's of 99-2003 to the newer body style cars. I'm in the business and the newer 2005 & up A6's are quite expensive to buy at auctions right now.

If you think Mercedes & BMW are doing any better than Audi right now in terms of resale, you're kidding yourself.

There was a time when MB held their value like a bank vault, but shakey build quality and questionable styling by both BMW and Mercedes have made their cars of the last 4-5 years far less desireable than the cars they made in the 90's.
    Well, around 2002 I was shopping for a better vehicle and had tons of cheap options for relatively new A6s. I understand they had major quality issues and the cars dropped in value like a rock. I had not seen that with the A4 or with the more recent Audis. I'd like to believe that the serious quality issues are a thing of the past (although if the Touareg is any indication, they may not be).
    What I'm really curious about is how Audi has dealt so far with the initial quality problems, i.e. the clicking from air duct motors, the "extra" CD in the armrest etc. Are they responsive or are they hanging their customers out to dry? If any of you recent owners have any insight into this, I'd appreciate your feedback.

S.
  • dpeck1dpeck1 Member Posts: 51
    They are hanging us out to dry. Problem with child safety.. Safety problem with rear NONREMOVABLE head rests which interfere with child booster seats. Audi is aware of problem. Will do NOTHING. I have reported them to a national and state agency. If you have kids in boosters beware. My local police department carseat inspection was shocked to see what the AUDI engineers did with the rear headrests and the safety issue it poses. They recommended I contact the NHTSA. Good luck. This car is really not suitable for kids in boosters. Get a Mercedes or ACURA.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Maybe I just can’t visualize your booster seats, but how do the head restraints interfere?

My booster seats fit fine in my automobile (not Q7) with the head restraints. One booster seat is just a couple inches thick on the bottom (like sitting on a book); with arm rests. My other booster seat has a seat back to it with a head rest, but it doesn’t reach as high as the vehicle head restraints.

I’d attempt a $30 booster seat from wal-mart before deciding to scrap the Q7 from my list.

The photo you have is the third row, which essentially has similar headrests as the second row. They are not removable and ARE NOT FLUSH WITH THE BACK OF THE SEAT. Therefore, when you use a booster for a child over 40 lbs. with an adjustable back to fit a child's height, ie Britax, Graco, etc. the upper portion of the back of the booster rests on the headrest(which sits more forward than the back of the Q7 seat); thereby not allowing the back of the booster to sit FLUSH against the back of the Q7 seat. It is unstable and unsafe. Every carseat manufacturer and trained seat installer (ie. your local fire or police department) will tell you that the booster back must be flush against the seat. If your photo was from the side it would better illustrate what I and others are saying. Audi knows about this problem but is not announcing it to the world. I don't know what seat you use or how tall/heavy your kids are, but that is an important factor. The boosters WITH AN ADJUSTABLE BACK ensure that the seatbelt does not come across the child's neck in a collision, which is important for obvious reasons. It also provides better head protection for the child.

Unless you child is big enough, the "book" style boosters are not as safe. The NHTSA has also been alerted to this problem. IT would not surprise me if the vehicle is recalled or next year the headrests are redesigned.
    also, what auto do you have currently? Are the headrests removable? Flush with the back of the auto seat?
    I see what you mean. The head restraints lean forward, which is good if you’re an adult, but could interfere with a seat back.

It’s surprising they’re not removable – or adjustable, since you’re supposed to adjust the restraint to your height.

How do you achieve the seat folding in this picture? Do the head restraints fold under? Or are the rear ones removable? These are the rear but they look similar to the 2nd row restraints.

The driver and passenger seats looks like the “regular” restraints that can be removed by pushing in the tab…but the second row restraints have something different.

I still can’t imagine how the booster seat back height goes to the height of the head restraint…since once you’re at that height of the vehicle head restraint…you’re probably large enough to go without a booster…but I’ll take your word for it. Probably not your favorite pass time “diss’n” the Audi head restraints.

I did have a Q7 (3.6) on my list as a potential mini-van replacement…but never thought about booster seat accommodations; I suppose I should have.
    I see that a couple of complaints have been filed with NHTSA regarding this issue. You can search using this link:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm

I don't see any follow up from NHTSA so far.
  • ny_driverny_driver Member Posts: 22
    dpeck1

Which booster do you have/use for your child? My son is still small and using a Britax Roundabout. I'm working on a new lease for a Q7 so may need to bring my seat in and try it myself.
    Here's our Britax seat in the back of a Q7 (installed in the middle). I removed the tilting base to fit it in the middle of the back bench in our Volvo (cut 2-3 inches off the height) and had I not done that it may have pressed against the headrest if installed on the side (see image).
    When I first installed it I was quite shocked to see how much space it took in the Volvo, these things are quite big these days.
    Anyway, you're OK with the Britax (ours is the tallest) but I don't know about booster seats for over 60 lbs (I'm sure there are enough safe and decent-looking options, I wouldn't discard the Q7 for this reason alone).

S.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • queuesevenqueueseven Member Posts: 1
    I got my Q on the 13th of Jan. I too have almost 1000 miles. This is the only SUV I really researched before buying (3 months actually). All the other times (7 vehicles in the last 10 years - 2 Jettas to Altima to Durango to Suburban to Trailblazer to FX) they were impulse buys. I have been in an FX45 for about a year. This was by far the best SUV for me. It was not too big, and had an awesome sports car feel. Mine was Liquid Copper, tinted tail lights, custom wheels.. it was sweet.

Well, I am growing up. And though I loved the FX, I wanted something larger and a little less extravagant (and you would have to have seen my FX... who couldn't actually). At any rate.. I do not like BMW or Mercedes... I mean, so many people own them because they are expensive. The VW T'whatever is NOT CUTE. I thought about getting another FX, but wanted to look at the Ranger Rover Sport. I drove it and loved it. I had the A-plan available, but couldn't use it because Land Rover didn't offer the incentive. It was a nice SUV. It was much softer than I thought, but still boxy. The one I wanted was a rare white on white. The Porsche.. never in my life... So back to the Audi. I believe that if you buy an Audi, it's because you choose it; not to just fall into a standard of buying an expensive vehicle... to me, it says "sexy professional." It says ME!

I had been to the dealership 2 times, and then drove it on my 3rd trip. Talk about uncompromising and alluring. Let's just say, the 1st time I drove it up Peachtree St, I almost got hit 6 times... just that mesmerizing. It's absolutely perfect in every way. I settled with the 3.6 Premium. I originally was in an S-line with 6 sits (awesome), but it didn't have all the bells and whistles. I picked out a Calla White; and as stately and commanding as it was, I was disappointed to find that he had no sunroof. That Mercedes thing has a nice roof, but the SUV is funny shaped. I would not get one without the sunroof... I ended up with Lava Gray (which is almost black)... and have limo tint, and will soon be tinting the tail lights and changing out the 19's).

With the side assist, sat. radio, rear camera, power tailgate, reclining rear seats, 4 zone climate control, adaptive lighting (really cool).. etc.. it's just the right size for me (not that I am big), I just can't explain. If you have a family, which I don't, it's not that typical "soccer mom" ride.. It's a "mommy ride with style," that won't make the kids look away when they get picked up from school. I love the LED lighting in the interior.. it sets the weirdest mood. And out of every vehicle I have ever driven, the time I drive it at night, I really felt safe. And even the the not so little 3.6 felt like my FX's 4.5 - and I was up into the 90's and never even knew it.

Side note... this is the only vehicle with puddle lights that actually illuminate where they should!

You really have to drive one.
  • clarkuclarku Member Posts: 14
    I've been comparing between the X5 and Q7 and should be making a decision soon. One factor, which is slight but still a consideration, is the lack of a rear dvd entertainment system in the Q7. I've promised our kids that our next car will have one. After emailing Audi if and when they'll be offering this option I recieved word back from them that this will be an option available around the end of the 1st quarter, Mar '07. I think I'll wait just a little while longer before deciding...
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    I just looked at one yesterday in showroom, dealer had installed in both headrests, I thought it was factory, looked real. He said the car would come with the original headrests also, so if we ever traded in they would transfer system at no charge. Also, he said it was for sale without it if we didn't want it, they would simply remove. More dealers should do this. They probably sell more then people have them remove it, and you don't have to go to any trouble to shop yourself. I think he said it was about 2K

While i'm here..I liked the car alot, except for two things. I could not sit up straight in the back seat due to lack of headroom, it is VERY tight, and when i put my left foot back in the drive's footwell, it hit this ox under the rails for the drivers seat. I have to put my seat all the way back so it sticks out alot. Does this bother anyone???? I might get used to it, but it seemed uncomfortable.
  • klickklick Member Posts: 15
    I could not sit up straight in the back seat due to lack of headroom, it is VERY tight

Do you mean the second row or third row? If you mean the second row, you can tilt the seat back to give you more room. That being said, I'm 6' and have no headroom issues in the 2nd row, so you must be quite tall. As for the 3rd row, I'd say it's for people 5'7" and under only.

when i put my left foot back in the drive's footwell, it hit this ox under the rails for the drivers seat. I have to put my seat all the way back so it sticks out alot. Does this bother anyone?

I've never noticed it, but I always have my left foot on the dead pedal. Personally, it sounds really uncomfortable to drive with your left foot pulled back period (rail or no rail), but then again, I had a friend who used to drive with her left foot out the window, so what do I know.
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    I'm 6'3" and hit the roof sitting in the second row. The borchure lists the rear headroom at 37 inces, yet over 40 for the front seat. I wouldn't even attempt third row. I drive ML500 now and have third row, use it about once a year, but handy when needed to take several people instead of 2 cars.

I am looking at GL450 but can't understand how mercedes can offer a car with a base price near 70K without leather standard. Its nuts!! I have also been disenchanted with the quality of the mercedes. Its been reliable, but falling apart.

I also may get suburban simply because a local chevy dealer is a very good customer of mine and i need to return favors, then i would look at A8 in about 2 years. But, i found myself intriqued by the Q7 and will take wife to dealer this week for a test drive. My accountant said to make sure its over 6000 lbs GVRW for accelerated deprecitation, which the Q7 is.

I do like to larger footwell in the Q7. I also like the feel and look of all the interior components.
  • klickklick Member Posts: 15
    How often would you be in the second row? I can see how with your height it might be tight back there, but if you're always going to be in one of the 2 front seats, it shouldn't matter unless other members of your family who will be back there often are also that tall.

As for your ML, I didn't think ML's had 3rd row seats? I know for certain that the current model doesn't and didn't think the previous generation did either, but I must be mistaken.

I'm not sure where you're getting your GL pricing from, but the ones I looked at were all under 70k with a fair number of options, including leather. That aside, it is a bit silly that you have to get things as options on the GL that are standard on other much less expensive vehicles, but the same is true of almost every luxury German vehicle, including the Q7. It's just how they configure and price them. Audi could have included the majority of the Q7 "options" as standard equipment, but then the base price would have been 7,500 - 10,000 higher. End result is the same.
  • carb1776carb1776 Member Posts: 13
    Hi, I'd go with the MDX or the GL450.

I bought a 2006 Touareg and the VW dealer network isn't customer friendly. They want to sell you the car the don't have the staff to repair it. The look and drive nice, but are a headache to have serviced. This Touareg is my First and LAST VW!
    Car and Driver tested the GMC Acadia (March '07 issue) and found:

1. Acadia brakes much better than a Q7
    2. Acadia accelerates about the same as a Q7 (3.6L V6 ones)
    3. Acadia handles about the same as a Q7
    4. Q7 does have a less-harsh sounding engine note than Acadia, though.
    5. Acadia gets much better fuel economy than a Q7
    6. Acadia costs less than a Q7

Why buy a Q7? Only real reasons now, no crazy, emotional "German-is-better" or "prestige" crap. Just engineering-based and vehicle feel-based facts. Remember the vehicle dimensions are virtually identical in both size and weight. Braking ability and fuel economy are where the Acadia is far superior to the Audi Q7, both very important characteristics (unless you want to run into things and you want to fuel more foreign oil imports...).
    "I guarantee the Audi will out brake, out skid pad, ..."

Thats not the case. The Acadia out brakes the Q7 and Cayenne by far, and the Acadia skidpads at 0.78 G, very close to the Q7's expected 0.79 G. Car and Driver considers the Acadia as having "excellent" feel/handling/agility.
  • hoosbesthoosbest Member Posts: 39
    You are obviously struggling to justify your decision on the Acadia. That is why folks have choices. Go to the GM board because we really don't care. If I want to read about the Acadia, I will go there.

In any event. I bet the resale value will much lower and at the end of the day given GMs pricing model and it will cost you more to drive that car based on depreciation. Until GM proves they can build a car that holds its value, doesn't start falling apart over time, and consistently proves it has quality, I will stick elsewhere. Would love to buy American though.
    On Sunday I saw for the first time a Q7 and Acadia on the road. Just on looks... the Acadia got the up and down look...the Q7 wretched my neck.

If you had a purchasing cap the Acadia (or maybe the cheaper Saturn) may be the one to beat. Love the Audi though...and once in love...its hard to quantify :)

Probably not the proper thread here...but a comparison board may get interesting, especially with the more luxurious Buick.
    Okay yup, yup, yup. It does all those things better but if you drive it, or OWN it, youll see why so many people have reasons that are "crazy emotional crap" for the Q7. Ive seen the Acadia and it is a very, very nice vehicle. It has space, comfort, the styling is pretty nice...but it does not have the same luxury or build quality as in the Q7, in terms of the interior. I have not driven one so i can not comment on that, but based on what you said about the car and driver article, it seems like it would handle well and on par with the Audi (i dont think better?? but i dont know...). It just doesnt seem as unique or different, which probably has to do with the fact that the styling is a little conservative and the fact that its a GM, which means there are always variations of it (saturn and buick). I think if they had made it its own model like the SRX, in one brand of GM, it would have been more successful (not that the one out now isnt). It is cheaper than the Q7, which i guess means you could give up some luxury and style to save a little money, but I still like my Q7 and i think it combines everything so well (it has amazingg styling but is still big and still handles well and is still comfortable and spacious and it is luxurious without being overly expenisve (interior is on par with range rover imo for A LOT less). It is just a great vehicle that i think blends everything very well and I dont think you could buy a better SUV today, whether its a GMC or a Range Rover...