Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Q7

Comments

• tduncetdunce Member Posts: 4
    Bump...

for TSB info...anyone...does this really exist or not? Local dealer could not find it referenced anywhere. Help with TSB# please.
  • jc8jc8 Member Posts: 16
    Hi there,

I am currently searching out two vehicles, the Q7 and the new 08' Buick Enclave. I am having a hard time choosing between the two because they each have their pluses and minuses. I would take any advice. I am really concerned about the reviews the Q7 has gotten, especially those who have needed total engine replacements. I currently have a fully loaded tahoe and am trying to down size a little but still want something functional for my family. I live in Michigan, so we, of course like our american made cars and this would be my first purchase in the import category.

Thanks for any advice~
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Well i didnt hear that people had to get their engines replaced...but i have a Q7 with about 15000 miles and have had zero problems with it. everything is holding up great and it is the best all around car i have purchased. what i like the most about it is how it drives, which is extremley good for that size. it handles very well and the steering feels direct and stable. however, the car still is very functional and the good looks dont take away from the space, like in the infiniti fx for example. plus it has that great interior, which i think is the buicks downside. i have not drivn the enclave but i have seen a few on the road and i think they also look very good, but i dont think the driving characteristics would be on par with the q7. i assume you get a lot of snow in michigan, and the quattro on the audi is very advanced and has got me through some very tough condions and very deep snow on the way to a ski resort. the right car for you depends on what u want the most. i would say the buick is more of a good looking minivan-ish type of crossover suv, that probably holds a little more and is roomier in the third row. i would say the q7 is a good looking, sporty suv, that drives much more spirited (not "mushy" in corners) , and would probably do better in snow or offroad (even though u probably wouldnt take it there). however it does still have a lot of space and comfort, plus it is very luxurious.
  • jc8jc8 Member Posts: 16
    Thank you,

I appreciate your advice and we agree on a lot of the same aspects. My concern is still some of the issues the q7 has had, steering wheel vibration to start, it seems everyone is complaining about that? Have you, or anyone else, NOT had any issues with your Q7's?
    Nope i have had zero problems with my q7 sice recieving it. I owned a toyota sequoia before this and even that, being a toyota, had much more issues, one of them major, at 15,000 miles than the q7 (which has had none). i think all car companies, no matter how reliable, can make lemon models. our sequoia was definatley not typical toyota reliability and was very dissapointing. also i think people are more likely to report any problems they are having with a car, than report that theyre not having any problems. because if they werent having any, they wouldnt need to bother reporting back. thats why you see more things like "steering wheel vibrations" than reports of no problems at all. i think audi is on a steady uphill climb in reliability. if you look at the consumer reports reliability ratings for the a4 and a6, the "shield grill" audis have greatly inproved from their previous generations, and have become recommended models for reliability.
  • 7thvwaudi7thvwaudi Member Posts: 8
    did we find a TSB on this problem... Audi says there is no such thing.. my steering vibrates too and Audi (not the dealer) says that they have not released any TSB for the steering vibrations/oscillations.. anyone? josephy, any help on what exactly they did to resolve your problem will help!
  • josephyjosephy Member Posts: 14
    We've been in contact with our dealer and there is no official TSB yet. If they were to issue one, it could be a while as they would need to identify the scope of the problem and confirm what would consistently fix it.

On our Q7, here's what they did and the repair was successful. Car rides better than ever.

After balancing, rotating, then doing road force testing on the wheels, and confirming the front end was “true”, they concluded that the problem was in the suspension.

The lower control arms were replaced with a larger diameter control arm - used in the Diesel Q7 (available in other countries). Changing the control arms changes the suspension “angles” so they finished with realigning the entire car.

This has totally resolved the issue. Our Audi Area Aftersales Manager was well aware of the issue and followed this through to the end. He is in dealership support, so ask your local dealer to contact their respective managers.

Of note: The Porsche Cheyenne also had vibration issues two years ago, which apparently, in some cases anyway, was corrected by adjustments to the differential or power steering rack, not sure which one. This is third party.
    thanks josephy... Q's back in the shop today for them do some more 'research' and work.. i'll mention what solved your problem.. mine has the 40-45 mph vibration too... the kind that numbs your thighs as they grind against the seat in city drive and the head bobs as if i was in a slow motion gallopping horse carriage(smile).. Touaregs have had both of these problems since the beginning (2004) and they have yet to find a permanent fix... oh well let's hope they fix it soon... thanks for the help...
    Just got a confirmation today of the part numbers that were installed in our Audi.

VW7L8-407-151 and 152. Both numbers end with an F.

These are the two control arms for the Diesel Q-7. They were shipped to our dealer from Germany.
    thx josephy... gave the part numbers to the dealer.. the dealer has been great.. waiting for the next move now... it is a slow process all this while we are waiting to get the Q back and enjoy it... bummer that we might not have it this long weekend...
    i'm just waiting for the next leap in technology.. i think it will be AUDI/VW + Apple who will lead the way in the next revolution...(2009s?) hopefully they will have the intuitive controls of the ipod... get the apple and the audi/vw engineers together and they will create a true dream vehicle and then give it to a Japanese factory to assemble.. now that will be a car of my dreams...
  • houstontxmobhoustontxmob Member Posts: 56
    I hope you have another Q7 as a loaner while your Q7 is in the shop? :)
  • vip9vip9 Member Posts: 30
    About 10 months, 11K miles here on a 3.6 Premium with Nav, 19" Continentals and most other goodies.
    No steering vibration, but an Oil Pressure light goes on occasionally and the gas tank flap does not flap :) on occasion. Other than that - a great-looking, great-feeling car.

There are a few issues though that I want to float and see if you people feel the same about...

1. Various ergonomics issues. Way too many simple operations requre either multiple steps or taking eyes off the road.

(in no particular order)

Steering-wheel-mounted cruise control too close to turn signal/high beam control - even after that much driving experience, still occasionally flash high-beams when trying to engage the CC

Windshield wipers (esp. in winter or on dirt road) - to engage the rear wiper, need to push the lever away. To wash the dirty windshield, need to pull the lever, thus dis-engaging the rear wiper. A simple enough operation that should not require a multi-step process.

Climate control - LOVE 6-step bun-warmers, H A T E that their controls are tied to Blower and there is no way to just turn the warmer on by itself.
    Also, no way to shut off rear climate controls from the front - have to reach back and hunt for the button. And, when both my kids are back there and both child-locks are engaged, even more steps are needed.

A wierd "voice-recognition" button on the steering wheel which appears too moody to work consistently. (plus, according to the manual, mine should not work at all, since I do not have a particular package - go figure!)

2. CRAZY head-rests - very uncomfortable according to most/all of my rear-seat adult passengers. Cannot be adjusted. If folded, prevent the use of the seat. Block way too much of the rear view.

3. Hard-to-understand and nowhere-documented info on the MMI - such as MPG, time, speed, etc. - one of them lists mpg at 200. I WISH!!!

4. Non-foldable cargo cover - what a pain when 3rd row is up!!! Of course, the folded cover is only reserved for Europe it appears :(

5. Do-it-yourself spare tire - never had anything like that before, hope never to have to blow one at night on a deserted road.

6. A dealer service dept. in NYC being closed for lunch?!?! In the City that never sleeps!!! And, me having an emergency!

Lastly, as I posted in the Maintenance forum, I was taken aback by Audi CS telling me that it was up to a dealer to provide me with a loaner if/when I bring the car in for that Oil Pressure issue. Some posted that the repair took weeks, they had their engines replaced, cars declared lemons, etc... and all of that for a hefty monthly payment and potentially NO LOANER??? WOW!

Thanks for reading.
    I have a Q7 3.6 premium with 20" wheels, infotainment pkg, luxury 6 seat cofig, pano roof, comfort, 4 zone, and rear side airbags.
    Had it 10 months and so far have about 16,500 miles on it.
    I also get that oil pressure light from time to time, however only when i turn the car on, and if i turn it back off and on, it will usually go away.
    I did not get the voice recognition, so for me that button is useless.

I read about the complaints you have and i may be able to help with a few:

With the problem u stated about the heated seats, i have figured out how to get them to stay on with the climate control off. You just set to what number you would like, and then press and hold the "econ" button, which also says "on/off" until the climate control goes off. the seats will stay on.

For youre problem concerning turning off the rear AC, there is a way to control it by hitting the "setup" button on the climate control panel. Once you do, scroll down to the bottom with either the left or right AC adjustment konb, depending on which side you want to adjust, and select "rear operation". here you still can not completley turn the ac off, but you cant adjust the blower to 1, as well as the air direction and heated seat.

I agree that the trip computer can be confusing and i had to get help from this site to figure it out at first. On the wiper stalk, under the stalk itself is a square button that says reset. When you press this, it scrolls the different trip computer screens on the driver info display between the speedo and tach. i believe they are digital speedometer, trip comp 1, and trip comp 2. Once you have picked one of these screens, there is a rocker button at the very end face of the wiper stalk, where you are able to scroll through the various features such as MPG instant, MPG average, Miles left to tank, Average speed, etc. These readings can be reset through the MMI, by pressing the "car" menu button. Then scroll down to "instrument cluster" and select it. There you will see trip computer 1 and trip computer 2, and when you select one or the other, you can not only reset it but pick what you would like to be displayed on the drive info display (in gauge cluster).

I also have a few complaints of my own:

1. I agree that the car cover is not well designed, because it is extremley wide and is imposible to store with the third seat up. I usually just leave it out unless we are going on a long trip. It does, however, have good ideas like the extendable flaps that clip to the 2nd row of seats.

2. I also do not like how the power tailgate opens from the button in the front drivers door or the key fob, yet it will only close from the button on the trunk. This is apparently a saftey feature, but i wish it would go both ways from the key.

3. I see below the head-lights two rectangles that look like the openings from the headlight washers, but i have tried everything to make them work and they have never popped out of their covers, no matter how long i hold the cleaning stalk in. Maybe the 3.6 does not have head light washers? Does anyone know how to use them?

Overall this is a fantastic car and the reason milage is going on so fast is because i choose to take out this car much more than i had thought, and it is an amazing traveling car. right now getting almost 23mpg driving 65mph on rural highway roads. Overall a great car, only i wish i had waited and been able to buy the rear camera without the whole techno package. Also, the 6-seat configuration i chose is really unique and that along with the sunroof are still my two favorite options.
  • woolooloowoolooloo Member Posts: 44
    quattroporte12, the headlight washers come with the S-Line package. I really resent the packaging on this vehicle, I really prefer Acura's packaging model where there are only a couple packages. With Audi's package proliferation, it is virtually impossible to find a car on the lot with what you want, you have to special order it or live with what you can find.
    Hey, quattro, thanks a lot for your input.

First off, I'd suggest you read the latest posts in the Q7 maintenance/repair Forum. That Oil pressure light is not as harmless as it may look. Audi C/S told me they now have a documented solution.

BTW, my Q also rides on 20", sorry for the typo. Looks like we have very similar cars sans the seat configuration.

I did not really voice "complaints", more like little gripes.

I know about resetting trip computers and all - it's just what's actually displayed - makes no sense sometimes.

I LOVE digital speedo - that's my permanent driver MMI display option.

Seat warmer - not the problem to keep it on while the blower is off.... it's to keep the blower off while turning on the seat warmer. A silly task requires EXTRA STEPS.

Same with rear A/C - way too difficult to control, esp at highway speeds - for NO REASON! A little engineering twick can go a long way.

As far as that voice button - according to my window sticker, I do NOT have voice package either, but the button is there, and it WORKS!!! (or so it thinks :) )

Mine originally "chose" a random contact from the sync contacts list, and immediately dialed that number at first touch. I had a hell of a time to try to figure out how to "unselect" that contact (after numerous apologies and assurances that I did not intend to call/harrass that person :) ) I wound up deleting that contact, then re-sync-ing again. After a few trial-and-error attempts I managed to store my home #... but seem to have lost a true one-touch function. It now beeps when I press, I have to scream DIAL for it to MAYBE call the number.

Of course all of that is well-documented in the manual :)

BTW, where is a microphone? in the overhead console by the eyeglass holder or where?

Anyway, a few more gripes to voice -

"Smart" wipers mode - slows them down to 0 at the traffic light stops... if it rains hard enough - to the point that I cannot see the light... and the wipers go back on after the car picks up speed upto about 5 mph. HELLO! Am I supposed to drive blind those few seconds? My previous car, MDX, had a great feature of a rapid wipers engaging once the break pedal is released. In the Q, once again, an EXTRA driver's responsibility of altering wiper controls. :mad:

I L O V E panorama roof... but why oh why did they NOT go that extra mile of making more of it open up?!?!

Roof rails - so nice yet so useless. Not a single opening to tie anything to them, unless you want to go through the windows or pay $$$$$ for optional cross bars.

Anyway, a great and gorgeous car altogether except for a few of these annoying little things.

And, being the 1st model year and developing some of the inevitable problems while ignorant dealers try to brush you off... I am just glad this is a short-term lease :)
  • grn95grn95 Member Posts: 48
    So far no probs aside from the compass reading in the rearview mirror is not accurate. Once in awhile it reads correctly but it takes miles before it changes (i.e. driving South and compass still reads SE etc). Anyone have this issue? Thanks
  • ssivaramssivaram Member Posts: 6
    The compass has to be adjusted (for declination?).
    Based on the exact place where you are located, you
    have to make tiny adjustments. I believe the manual
    tells you how.
  • fish1001fish1001 Member Posts: 2
    Thx 7thvwaudi... did they also change the parts as advised by josephy...??

I do have the same problem. The vibrations are very disturbing.

I had the car driven out of the showroom when I noticed, returned it meanwhile twice to the dealer for fixing. The dealer advised that he has the issue with other Q7 and that Audi Engineers have come to look at it but no response so far. They changed the 2 front tires on mine, vibrations reduced slightly but are now back as before. I have given my dealer the response on the parts they changed on josephy's Q7 and await the dealers and Audi's response.

I have not even 800 miles on it...and am very disappointed.
    mine still has the vibrations.. it is at the dealer and they are still working on it. i will report back if and when the issue is resolved.. it is pretty frustating to think with all the talk about advanced technologies in the vehicle, an elementary issue like vibrations seems to have been ovelooked...the dealer response has been great at my end.. hopefully it will be fixed soon...
    About two thousand miles since the control arms were replaced and no vibration. That has solved the problem. I would not allow the dealer to continue to change tires, rotate, align, etc. It's all a waste of your time and theirs.

Swap out the control arms as stated in my earlier posts and you'll be good to go.
  • houstontxmobhoustontxmob Member Posts: 56
    Do u have the TSB # for that? I told my service guy about this issue, the technician said that issue is normal as how the car's specification designed, therefore they won't do a thing about it. I am so sick and tired of service dept giving me excuse like the error can't be duplicated, therefore they didn't fix a thing everytime I took the car in to repair.

I got my Q7 a month ago, since day 1, the front right speakers were not working. It's been over 1 week now, am still waiting for the part dept. to get the speaker for the replacement! It's kinda frustrating when you have incompetent people working for you.

Apart from those 2 issues, I love my car. Just really hated to go to Service dept. Cos I know I have to be persistant to get things done there.
    ssivram, Very Late Response here but thanks for the info. The area digits were accurate, the manual also explains how to calibrate the digital compass. Drive in a circle at 5mph to reset etc. Much Appreciated.
  • cspillmancspillman Member Posts: 18
    Just curious if there are any Q7 owners that have the pano moonroof and live in a hot area. The sales person says if I pay $1500 you could get a special tint that helps with the heat. Just want to make sure this car cools down when it is hot.

He also says the wheel vibration issue has been resolved in teh 08's. Is this correct?
  • calq7calq7 Member Posts: 4
    We have our Q7 in California and have regularly seen temperatures near 100 degrees without aving a problem keeping the car cool. The screen system works very well. It sounds like your dealer is trying to make some extra money. As to wheel vibration problems, we have the 4.2 liter engine and have had no problems in this area. I think that was confined to cars with the smaller engine.
    AC is cool enough! $1500 for "special tint" sounds ridiculous! "Sales People" who make offers like that are what make me want to stay out of dealerships.

Has anyone received a cargo net with their Q7? Trying to figure out if it was removed or if this standard SUV item is a parts purchase item? Hard to believe there wasnt a cargo mat either...

Thanks!
    Does anyone know if we can get a new DVD disk for the Navigation? If yes, how and how much? (hopefully free!!!)

Thanks.
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    Does anyone one know when this Q7 will be introduced here in the states?? Any updates from Audi on this vehicle. The info (not reliable)that I received was sometime next year. Anyone has a clue let me know.

//GG
    Audi Corporate thanks for your direct response, unlike some other people I know. Along with the rep at the LA Auto show, Audi Corporate basically stated that the Q7 3.0L Bluetec Diesel (which was at the auto show) will not be introduced till the end of Q4 of 2008. Too bad, I expect Audi to charge a premium for their Bluetec diesel when introduced but the question is how much?? Based on what Mercedes is currently producing it should not be that much.

The LA auto show was both positive and at the same time disappointing. Yea, they were lots of new alternative fuel vehicles but all but a couple will not be introduced till late next year or later. I. E. Chrysler had plans to introduce a Hybrid this year but has scuttled those plans till late next year. It's understandable since they were acquired by a private equity firm, probably still going through management changes.

The 50% premium on GM's Yukon Hybrid is outrageous although they are starting delivery in January, which should be good news for some folks. Unfortunetly with those prices I will not be one of them.

The best SUV at the show for me is the (winner is) Q7. That German engineering and aesthetics in both in the interior and exterior rivals no other. Performance is almost what I require all except for gas mileage where the Bluetec TDI would of shined. Also Audi is not quite up to par with the Japanese mainstream manufactures in regards to quality. They have strived for major improvements, though. Sometime in Q1 of 08 I will be acquiring one. Hey, GM care to counter offer???
  • fish1001fish1001 Member Posts: 2
    It has taken my dealer and Audi a few months to discuss and look for the solution to fix the vibration problem.
    After a total of 5 alignment sessions they finally agreed to change the arms as earlier posted by "josephy".
    The problem is fixed! It is a pleasure to drive the car now. Vibrations have gone and the steering is rock solid. Can only agree with ''Josephy'' not to waste any of your and your dealers time. I thank ''Josephy'' for posting the message. Only now I am happy with my car and finally enjoy it.
    You are more than welcome and I'm glad to have been of help. Still no vibrations on our Q7 after thousands of miles. Swapping control arms is the fix.
  • moncadmoncad Member Posts: 6
    I have 8 G miles when my Q7 tire pressure sensor was activated. Checked pressure for all tires, 31 psi cold . I have had several cars, and max psi is abt 35; Audi have it at 44 psi front and 49 psi rear; do you recommend that i follow this amt or do i keep it at 35 psi. Please advise. Thanks.
    Would suggest to first follow what is stated on the tire's sidewall. Then as a back-up check your owners manual. What kind of tires you have?? Sounds like you have the low profile tires.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The sidewall number is the maximum pressure rating (~40 psi usually).

To find the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure for your vehicle, look for the tire label, usually on the front door pillar or in the glove box.

TireRack has some quickie articles:

Tire Inflation

TireRack recommends that the tire pressure be "set according to the vehicle manufacturer's cold tire pressure(s) recommended on the vehicle's tire placard or in its owner's manual." link
    I second your question/concern. The label on the inside door frame states 44/49. The manual has a large and cryptic table that suggests 35 (?) going upto to 44/49 "fully loaded". I had one tire serviced and the attendant was very skeptical about 40+ psi. I usually follow the label - 2 - 3 psi, so I have app. 40/45 front/rear.

BTW, I have 19" Continentals.

P.S Tire sensors going off means that you once stored a much higher pressure. My understanding of how they work is that they compare stored pressure - "allowed offset" to current pressure. If you store 20 psi, they will probably never go off.
    These conti tires are the 19" OEM tires for the Audi Q7, they state 51psi max for the tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Continental&model=4x4+Contact&vehicl- eSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=65HR94X4XL&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D65H- R94X4XL

I would check and verify make, model and size of your tire to the above and look at your owners manual. 40's psi sounds right, verify it anyway.
    Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I actually did not drive my Audi Q7 today till i clear it up with the local Audi service advisor. BTW, i do have the Continental 255/55R18 and tirewall ahs max of 51 psi; i reconfirmed the info from door panel: 44 psi front and 49 psi rear. Once i hear from Audi hopefully by tomorrow, i will post the response. thanks again.
    I finally got to speak to the Audi service advisor; he told me that the 44/49 psi is meant for a max. load cap. He then suggested that i use 35 psi to all 4 tires. thank you guys for your advise. much appreciated.
  • nygxdrivernygxdriver Member Posts: 10
    My wife just got a new Cell phone the LG venus and weirdly the phonebook pairs perfectly with the BT but the handsfree doesnt. Can anyone recomend a Verizon Cell phone that works with the Q& bluetooth properly?

Thanks,
    Mike
    I have a razr from Verizon. Initialy, I had to struggle to connect it at all. No problem now - handsfree works beatifully except for a "CRAZY" ring. I am so surprized Audi came up with that ugly high-pitched sound for it. I wonder if there is a way to change it.

I am still buffled by that one-touch voice-recognition button on the steering wheel though.
    Hi i have a q7 with the towing package, and the rubberized cover that pushes into the tow hitch slot fell out or got stolen or something, and we cant figure out how to get another one. i asked our dealership if they had extra ones in their parts department, and if we could buy one, and he was trying to tell me that they werent from audi, and that i could find one like it at an autozone or some place like that. but all ive found there are the massive silver oval covers with chevy and ford symbols on them. can anyone help me out on where to find just a plain, small black one?
    I also have one more question about the tailpipes on the 3.6 q7. On the 4.2 the tailpipes are thicker and chrome, and on the 3.6 they are more raw looking and black metal. I asked someone at my dealership if i could buy the thicker, chrome tailpipes as an accessory for the q7 (they have accessory tailpipes which are flat-bottomed like on the cayenne, but i wanted a pair like on the 4.2 q7) and he told me that because the exhaust systems are different, the 4.2 muffler tips wouldnt fit on the 3.6 exhausts. But i found an ebay listing with them as an accessory and it said that it would fit the audi a6 and q7. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DWatchin- g&viewitem=&item=130185888986&_trksid=p3907.m32 Just wanted to know if the info i got from the dealer was right, or if these would fit the audi q7. thanks for the advice
  • skolinskolin Member Posts: 3
    The information here has been of great help. However I wanted to shoot this across the bow of everybody here to see if something wrong big or small on this deal.

Q7 Non-Premium with Comfort and Pan.Sunroof for Lease

$605/- per month, 3000 inception including first month lease and including any and all charges, with residual of $25,700 after 36month/10K

Thanks for all replies

:D
  • loggieloggie Member Posts: 55
    is any of the $3000 a downpayment or cap cost reduction ?
    is any of the $3000 sales tax ?
    or is sales tax included in teh $605 ?
  • skolinskolin Member Posts: 3
    Taxes are all included, however there is a Cap cost of about 1300 in the initial payment along with the first months lease.
    I got my "Black Pearl" - a 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 (non-premium) with Technology and Entertainment
    packages in Jan 2007.

Black Pearl (BP) is a replacement for a 1994 Acura Legend GS 6-speed "Blackbird" that
    I had for 14 years and a 150K miles.

I wanted a vehicle that was safe, handled well, and elegantly put together. I test
    drove 2 vehicles - the Audi as well as the Acura MDX. I waited 2 years for the redesigned
    MDX, but after test driving both, I decided to go with the Audi.

Now 10000 miles and 16 months later..............

Exterior:
    Audi's styling is classy. But with each passing day, it "grows" on you and seems to look
    even better. Recently, while standing about 20 feet in front of the Black Pearl, I convinced
    myself that it is one of the best looking SUVs around. It is also one of the few
    that look good from any angle. It conveys a strong presence without the
    muscular bravado of other large SUVs. And for a vehicle of its size, it has an amazingly
    low co-efficient of drag.

Interior:
    While lacking the space-age console of some newer cars, the interior is typical Audi sharp.
    It is elegant, soft and far superior to the sterile and stiff insides of a BMW or a Mercedes. The lighting in the dashboard gauges are plain - the console's red glow of
    the console or a butane blue would have been a better choice.

With pockets everywhere, storage space is more than adequate. The large glove box is big
    enough to hold letter-size paper and I use it exactly for that purpose. And how many of
    you know that it can serve as a cooler or a hot box? Each door has a receptacle to
    hold a water bottle or a large soda cup.

While the rear windows are tinted, the sunshades for the rear passengers are invaluable
    since I have a toddler.

Black Pearl comes with a smart key - I am not sure if this is standard on every model.
    In any case, I have gotten used to leaving the key in my pocket and having the headlights
    and wipers on light/rain sensing modes. Occasionally, though, the rain sensors take time
    to come on. The key itself folds into the side of the smart key fob and flips open at
    the touch of a button. One minor peeve - I usually keep the key in a pant pocket and the
    key release button gets pressed accidentally, the key opens out and stays in the locked position. The fob and the key together is about 4 inches long which can tear pant
    pockets if you are not careful.

The seats are adequate, but lacking the plushness of a high-end Lexus or Mercedes.
    The seating areas are wide. This allows a car seat to be placed either in the ends or
    the middle while allowing comfortable seating for 2 more adults in either configuration.

The third row has 2 seat belts, but seems almost wide enough to seat 3 kids. The leg
    room for the third row makes it actually usable. This was also an important
    consideration over the MDX whose third row leg space is minimal.

Driving:
    Black Pearl handles like a sports sedan. It handles better than my 6-speed Legend GS as
    well as an Acura TL-S which is saying something. A clover leaf freeway onramp that
    I use regularly provides atleast 1 specific data point for this comparison.
    The Q7 is able to corner faster than either of the sport sedans both of which, like
    the Q7, have traction control. The comparison is also far superior to 2 other SUVs I
    had a chance to drive recently - a GMC Yukon and a Toyota Sequoia. In fairness, these
    were about 3 years old and perhaps they too might have improved.

Some owners had complained of a "hesitation" during early acceleration. I have very
    rarely felt this and this is a non-issue for me.

The braking is not as sharp as I would like. Admittedly, this vehicle is heavy and
    the disc brakes seem massive. But the braking distance is longer than I would like
    and this is one area where the Q7 performs below the sports sedans. Over the past year,
    I have had to brake urgently on a couple of occasions. On both occasions, I felt the
    ABS kick in and the Black Pearl slowed down while stubbornly remaining on a straight line.

The 350 horses delivered by 4.2l engine has enough oomph that I have used the Sport
    mode sparingly. But when engaged, the engine's normal purr becomes a throaty growl and
    there is a little more pep as shifting higher is deferred at each speed.
    I would have much preferred a "Coast" mode which at freeway speeds would engage a
    higher gear and reduce the rpm yielding greated mileage.

The bluetooth integration is perfect and works just as you would expect. It cuts
    off audio for an incoming call and resumes at the end of the call. As you enter/exit
    the car during a phone call, the system works just as you would expect.
    I did have 2 minor issues with the Bluetooth package:
    a) The Caller ID sometimes has a "off-by-one" error.
    b) I wish that you could disable the blue-tooth interface on a call-by-call basis if
    you wanted privacy for a particular call. However, with the new California rule requiring
    hands-free cell phone operation while driving, this may be moot.

The rear view camera and the guide lines are perfect. The image of the rear bumper
    is also very useful. Do you know that there are 2 parking modes - one for parallel parking
    and the other for regular? Unfortunately, if you turned on the radio/CD, it turns off
    the rearview camera even when you are in reverse.

Complaints (versus design issues):
    1) The fuel door does not shut properly. But bending the door retainer hinge a little
    seemed to make it work. For such an expensive car, that is a poor design.

2) If the fuel cover is not closed correctly, the engine check light comes on. I always "click" the fuel cover shut at least 3 times. Even so, I got the engine
    light to turn on a couple of times. Again, this seems a poor design.

3) Sometimes, the MMI does not boot. Or the rear view camera does not turn on. Or
    the blue tooth does not connect. All these were resolved once I turned the vehicle OFF
    and restarted.

4) I wish the tailgate could be closed using the key fob. I am told this inability is
    because of liability issues. But a reversing feature (like in home garage doors) should
    be able to address this.

5) The fuel gauge (like in other cars) is non-linear. It comes down slowly at first and
    then suddenly goes down a lot faster. Same with the digital readout.

6) I wish the GPS map would let you move the map focus. This is especially useful if
    you want to get a magnified view of your destination even when you are at the start point.

Design Issues:

1) Mileage is horrible. Though I drive at high speeds, I do not accelerate hard.
    But the mileage is rarely better than 14 mpg in mostly highway driving. You would
    think that a recent design with such good aerodynamics will do better. I keep a gas
    log. At the last gas fill, I had driven 9945 miles having used 660.39 gallons. At that
    time, the electronic gauge estimated 10 mi
    My Previous Post got cut off; here's the rest........

Design Issues:

1) Mileage is horrible. Though I drive at high speeds, I do not accelerate hard.
    But the mileage is rarely better than 14 mpg in mostly highway driving. You would
    think that a recent design with such good aerodynamics will do better. I keep a gas
    log. At the last gas fill, I had driven 9945 miles having used 660.39 gallons. At that
    time, the electronic gauge estimated 10 miles left. So, 9955 miles in 660.39 gallons
    yields exactly 15 mpg - not stellar by today's standards.

2) The head rests are not very adjustable - they can be raised and lowered, but do not
    flex forward and back. For a car with so much flexibility in everything else, I find
    this disappointing.

3) The 2nd row seats do not fold flat. Again, you would think that a vehicle in this
    generation would have this feature.

4) The luggage privacy bar is not foldable and cannot be stored in the vehicle if removed.
    For a car that prides itself on engineering, this is a glaring bug.

5) No overhead DVD entertainment system.

6) The MMI is not always intuitive. But once you are familiar with the basics, it works
    out OK.

7) The button to fold the side mirrors needs to be pushed down and turned. I feel it
    will give way soon. They should have put a simple knob there.

8) The cruise control control is positioned so close to the turn indicator control(which
    also controls hi-beam) that I have mistakenly used that a couple of times.

9) Some controls are non-intuitive. E.g., the console display modes can be changed
    (to display one of the following info - fuel consumption, GPS map etc. ) using the
    windshield wiper stick. This *is* strange.

Summary:
    During the first ten thousand miles, the car has not shown any problems. The only
    issue was the fuel cap which, probably having not been turned completely shut, caused
    the engine light to come on. Performance has been exceptional. The interior and
    exterior are still pristine. My first Audi after 3 Honda/Acura models has been extremely
    well behaved thus far.

Verdict: 5 Stars.
  • kerryjthkerryjth Member Posts: 67
    The electronics are very unstable in the Q7. I found the back hatch door to be temperamental and sometimes it will not work unless you turn the car off and then try again . It actually gets stuck 1/2 the way towards closing. Also as far as a safety issue being the reason for no FOB feature that is pure NONSENSE. The door will shut on you now even if you press the button to shut it - same saftey issue so that is probably a AUDI HQ BS story to get rid of a valid customer complainst. I am surpriised the Hiway safety guys have not recalled the vehicle just on this basis. I am glad I do not have small children!

Also during he 1st week had my Q7 the passenger side front and rear windows would not operate.

LASTLY DO NOT allow any moisture on the MMI area between the driver and passenger seats. The entire MMI system will short out and it will cost $1000 to repair and AUDI DOES NOT considers this a design flaw but instead a USER error. As one person on this site wrote. "They can make sure the moon roof does not leak BUT can't design the MMI to keep mositure out !!".

There are at least 2 formal NATIONAL HighWAY Safety complaints on file ... scan this BLOG for info on MMI.

I am now looking at the X5 for when my lease expires... Q7 is a great driving vehicle BUT audi has a non responsive customer service attitude of "take it or leave it". They truly just do not cxare once they have your MONEY !
  • 714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    Picked up my new Q7 3.6 Premium today with most options. Will post when I have some feedback.
  • nachinachi Member Posts: 9
    I have about 600 miles on my 08 Q7 3.6 Prem and noticed that after I turn off the car and alarm it, the fan is still running for about another minute or so. Is this normal? Is this how the engine continues to cool itself off. Just curious if anyone knows.