Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    4346lbs. :D

Bob
  • rangnerrangner Member Posts: 336
    4200 plus Bob Barker's weight. :)

Eric
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I'll bet 1# ;-)

-Brian
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    say... 4000 lbs base model
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    VDC is what, 3700 or so? So I'm hoping it'll be light. The base 5 passenger model will be...3950 lbs.

-juice
  • subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    3980 lbs "curb weight" for the base model.

Since nobody from within SoA has stepped forward to vehemently deny the suggestion that "BX9" is a temporary handle, I interpret that silence as some assurance that the unveiling in January will introduce to a new name, too.

Mark
    Well, remember they had a B9 Scrambler concept. Later B9SC.

Perhaps B9 signifies the platform.

So B9X would be B9 crossover, that's what the X means in the Forester XS (Crossover Sport).

Or it could be B9X Tribeca, because that name was strongly rumored earlier.

Who knows at this point. Could even be B9 Surveyor.

-juice
  • jon_in_ctjon_in_ct Member Posts: 137
    subewannabe wrote:
    Since nobody from within SoA has stepped forward to vehemently deny the suggestion that "BX9" is a temporary handle, I interpret that silence as some assurance that the unveiling in January will introduce to a new name, too.
    That's interesting logic. I wonder how you interpret the similar fact that nobody from within SoA has ever stepped forward to vehemently deny that the B9X will use the V8 engine from the Corvette.

SOA's only official pronouncement on the subject of the new seven seater's name seems unambiguous. From http://vocuspr.vocus.com/VocusPR30/DotNet/Newsroom/Query.aspx?Sit- - eName=Subaru&Entity=PRAsset&SF_PRAsset_PRAssetID_EQ=93708- - &XSL=PressRelease&Title=Releases&Cache=True:
    Subaru of America, Inc., today announced the name of its all-new crossover utility vehicle, the Subaru B9X ...

... As a model which has inherited this design theme, Subaru has named this vehicle the B9X.
    I can see no competitive advantage to announcing a bogus name for the new seven seater. I can only see a downside because lying to the automotive press is never a good strategy.

I can recall only a single instance in recent memory when SOA has "vehemently denied" a rumor, at http://www.subaru.com/content/newscm/article.jsp?article=26&c- - ategory=0
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    They have clearly indicated that B9X is the name.

CRaig
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    So we spent about a year debating over supposed proposed names like, Halifax or Tribecca etc. for nothing. People were checking on Patent records for this stuff. And now we are stuck with B9X. LOL ;-)
    V8 engine from the Corvette

Maybe for the Saab version, they could call it the BBB:

B platform

Big

Block

;-)

-juice
  • etiklleh3etiklleh3 Member Posts: 5
    I'm new to this board, so if anyone's posted this already, please forgive me:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7819

This says the B9X is going to be around $40,000. I have to say that I am extremely disappointed if that's the case.

I am currently in the market for a 6 to 7 passenger vehicle for my family (four kids). I have been a loyal Subaru owner for ten years, owning three Legacy's and one Impreza. I hate to have to leave the brand, but there is no way I am going to spend that kind of money on a vehicle.

I can go buy a 2005 Ford Freestyle SEL for ~ $29K or a Chrysler Pacifica for ~30K. Have you seen the safety ratings on the Pacifica? BOTH of these vehicles offer AWD. Fine, not Subaru AWD, but I've test drove both and have to say, it's a fine line of distinction between the two.

I can not in good conscience spend $10,000 more for a car just because it's a Subaru. I have four kids to feed.

I think Subaru is making a mistake trying to hit the higher market. I know if that pricing is correct, they've just lost one loyal customer.
    I hear you and totally understand how it's hard to resist competitors that have basically played the value card.

Freestyle came in priced lower than I expected. But I have previous bad experience with Ford and would hesitate, personally, for that reason.

Still, on paper, it seats 7 and comes well equipped for dirt cheap.

Pacifica I'm less impressed with. It's not as roomy and costs more, though they're coming out with a base model that's priced lower.

Go price a Rendezvous and they can be had for cheap, too. But the driving dynamics were really disappointing.

My thing is that since none of those 3 handles particularly well, I might just get a minivan instead of any of those.

Throw in the Pilot while you're at it, street prices have come down and you can now get them for $28k or so, EX even.

But Subaru isn't really targeting those, they want to be compared to the Acura MDX and Lexus RX300, and then play the value card in that class of vehicle, i.e. upscale mid-sizers.

$40k is doubtful. I bet base price is closer to the $31,800 another rumor mentioned. Maybe $33k for starters with the 3rd row. That could still put street prices at juuuust under $30k, or my target price.

What'll it have to do to earn my $30 grand?

Handle better, much better, than Freestyle, Pacifica, Rendezvous, or Pilot. Better AWD is a given, it has to be more fun (by far) than any of those.

If not I might end up in a Sienna, though. AWD optional.

-juice
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    is likely a top-end price. I dont think we have any substantial pricing evidence yet, but I would agree that a base or moderately equipped version at $40,000 would really hurt this vehicle's chances.

I think once the Benign hits the road, you'll be able to get a decently equipped one for right around the low 30s. Subaru is not going to become an uplevel marque by simply pricing vehicles too high.

~alpha

PS- If you have to, I would favor the Freestyle over the Pacifica. But why not look to Pilot or Highlander?
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    If you need some groudn clearance, forget the Rendez-Vous. I was following one the other day and it has a rigid reaer beam axle (pretty lame) and it looked like it was no more then 6" off the ground. So while the car is tall, it has no real ground clearance advantage over a minivan.

I rented one once too, and I thought it had horrible visibility because of that rear-end design.

SLy
    The Buick's AWD system is also lacking. And yeah, that rear end isn't fully indy.

$40 grand might be the full MSRP for a 7 seater Limited model with Nav and DVD entertainment and all the accessories. That's just my guess.

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Perhaps Halifax & Tribeca will be trim level designations.
    Official debut to take place at Subaru's NAIAS booth at 3:15 PM on Monday, Jan 11, 2005.

Bob
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I wish I could make it out to NYIAS for the debut, but year-end close dictates otherwise. :(

Are any here planning to be in attendance and post digipix?

~alpha
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Just a clarification to SLy's comment about the Rendezvous' rigid rear beam axle--

The Rendezvous actually has a modern 4 wheel independent suspension. That large plate you saw is actually adapted from GM's minivans and is a lightweight suspension support that allows many of the suspension components to be laid out horizontally rather than protruding vertically into the cargo areas. That design is what allows enough space to be freed to add a 3rd row. It is surprisingly similar, IIRC, to the design of the Pilot's rear suspension.
    The 11th is a Tuesday according to my calendar, so which is it -- Monday or the 11th?

Craig
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Hello all...I've been away for many months. My 2001 LLBean is now a young adult [68K miles] and still running flawlessly (except for the damn gosset noise near the tweeters!] Michelin Pilot A/S tires have 30K miles and look like they'll easily make it to 40K - so I'm buying them again.

Good to see Subaru has finally gotten their act together w/ a crossover! Too bad we couldn't wait any longer. We waited and waited for it... researching and test driving and researching and test driving the Pilot, FX35, MDX and Murano this year [note no European or American nameplates (you have to be insane) - and we hate Toyotas (even though I owned a 92Camry which got 161K miles and is still alive w/ 180K) after a test drive last year in which the Toyota salesman screamed at us to drive him back because we were wasting his time!].

Brought every dealer down below invoice and finally purchased a base MDX for $300. under invoice [$33K] at 4:50PM on Labor Day. So far, so good at 3K miles.

Of course, the MDX is a step up from the LLBean, but my wife and I don't mind getting either one to drive (we used to fight over who would drive the Bean and who got stuck with the Accord).

The Bean's AWD system is definitely better. You can feel how every wheel travels over every dip independently, whereas the MDX feels like a front wheel car. The Bean is better planted in rain - no snow yet to test the MDX but it's supposed to be good in snow.... I'm sure not as good as the Bean. The MDX handles and corners better than the soft-tuned, leaning Bean, but it freaks out on really rough pavement like a truck, whereas the Bean stays composed. The MDX is much more powerful and it gets around the same mileage so far - ~19 mpg highway/city.

I never got around to using my $25. 2005 Outback test drive coupon, so I can't compare it to the MDX, but I would have a hard time buying a 2005 VDC at list for more than the base MDX. I was always anti-SUV size, but I've learned to face facts...you need the size to go up against what's on the road today. Simple Physics 101...I don't care how good the 2005 Outback did IN ITS CLASS/WEIGHT SIZE on the Institute and Federal crash tests, I feel much safer (and smaller) in the MDX.

I think Subaru is right in going for a niche between the Highlander/Pilot/Murano and the RX330/MDX/FX35. The Murano tested that niche and it didn't sell well (they were going for $1500. under invoice when we bought the MDX). I think Subaru has better reliability than Nissan, but not sure the buying public knows that (or generally cares?). BTW, the Murano (FWD) and FX35 (RWD/AWD) ride VERY rough, while the Highlander/RX330 ride very soft. The Pilot/MDX is comfortably right in the middle, as I expect the B9X will be.

Anyway, I hope all the kinks are worked out of the 2nd generation B9X we'll be looking at in 2011.... :-)

Ralph
    Hmmm, thanks for the interesting info ESP105.

But it still hangs very low and in a perfect position to be seriously harmed on a dirt road. That belongs on minivans, not SUVs!

Sly
    Congrats Ralph, the MDX is a very nice car. I almost bought one myself but decided to go for something smaller then my previous car (Highlander) so I went for the OBXT.

I'm glad your MDX gives you a sense of safety, but you are only looking at one aspect of safety.

The best way to survive an accident is to not get into one in the first place. A good handling car with good brakes will always be vastly superior to a large SUV in that respect.

SUVs are much more prone to roll-overs then cars. 30% of SUV deaths are caused by rollover accidents.

Sly
    The MDX handles better (crisper cornering, no lean, etc.) than the LLBean we own and has the same 4 star rollover rating. It's a crossover car, not an SUV truck...made for pavement, not off-road.

Yeah, in a snowstorm the Bean might be better in a fast manuever situation.

If I had the choice between being in the MDX or the LLBean in an accident, all else considered, I'd still take the MDX...especially in a side impact hit.

The MDX also has rollover sensors for the side curtain air bags to deploy...not sure if Subaru has that yet...

Anyway, I really hope the new B9X gives the MDX a run for its money. I always go for the underdog and there's something I just like about Subaru as an organization/business.

Ralph
    11th, good, I'll be back from Brazil so I won't miss out on the excitement.

Otis: welcome back, nice to hear from you again.

VDC would go for about $2500 less than your MDX, but I agree that many would step up. In fact the VDC is rare as hen's teeth, we can't seem to find enough to even tell people what price to expect to pay!

The new ones handle better, with 17" rims and stiffer springs, but they're not really comparable to the bigger/taller MDX anyway.

B9X will be, though.

-juice
    Craig, not sure? I found that over at nabisco, and didn't check it out.

Bob
    I am still hoping to be able to hold out on purchasing anything until the B9X is out. I want to see exactly where they are putting the price tag. If it's low $30's, I can handle that.

I really don't LIKE the Pacifica or the Freestyle. I LOVE my Boo Roos. But I have to also be realistic. I can't really bring myself to purchase a minivan though, and Buick just doesn't sit well with me.

We've test driven just about everything out there, except the MDX. Maybe I should look into a "slightly used" one of those?
    Hmm, they don't depreciate that much, may as well buy new (same for Subies, BTW).

-juice
    My main problem with the MDX in 2001 was the wind noise and engine noise -- I hope they have fixed that by now. At the time, the 02 Bean was a lot quieter and smoother (H6 beats V6 any day). And I didn't like the useless roof rack either. Finally, it had that big car/minivan feel and I wasn't ready for that. Otherwise, a very nice vehicle!

Back when I was looking, there was a waiting list and MSRP+ prices. Now they are going for $300 under invoice, eh? That makes it a lot better value.

Craig
    Hello juice and Craig! Just like to say thanks again for all the knowledge you guys (and other Subie crewers) have shared through the years. It's funny how well-known you guys are on other (even non-Edmunds) boards. "Those Subaru guys on Edmunds are crazy fanatics." You guys should get a discount on your next Subaru (Patti?)! :-o

The MDX is quieter than the Bean and the transmission is smoother, but I prefer the sound/feel of the H6 engine better. Also, no wind noise whatsoever in the MDX, but some tire noise comes up. We got the base MDX with no roof rack - we use the LLBean for that. Haven't floored it yet (3K miles), but I still love the airplane engine sound of the H6. I need to check in to having the computer re-flashed - I have the original H6 lag and fairly poor mileage. The senior Subaru mechanic at my dealer (who was great, but recently quit for more money :-( ) said he thought there was a 80K silent warranty on the re-flash?

The gosset leak in our Bean has become annoying...I'm probably going to re-visit Craig's Forester photos and pick up a new driver's side gosset and try a replace on an above-average temperature day. [That reminds me, I need to pull out my photos of the cabin filter replacement - it's overdue!]

It's good the B9X looks like it is going to have framed windows...just don't like the Murano-type blind spot (and hope the concept grill beats out that ugly mesh-covered hole in the production version). It's great how Subarus are starting to look better and better....finally starting to catch up to the same level as their engineering!

We waited as long as we could for the Subaru crossover! :-( Oh well...

Ralph
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I test-drove a Honda Pilot at lunch today. It's the new number one pick as far as I'm concerned to meet my family's needs. So now it's down to the Pilot and the B9X (depending on price, design, etc.).

I wrote to Subaru this week (via email) regarding the possible $40K price tag on the B9X. This is their response:

"Thank you for contacting the Subaru Website.

At this time, Subaru has not announced any type of official pricing for this new vehicle. In fact, there is no information available. Therefore, I would ask you to check back with us later in January, as the B9X is supposed to be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and we look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

Kelly Shinault

Subaru of America, Inc."

I'm still wondering what the big secret here is, but I can definitely wait until January to buy whatever it is I'm going to buy. I'd love to stay with Subaru, since I've had four and never had a complaint. And unless my local dealer can give me a GREAT trade value for my 2003 Legacy GT, I'm probably going to hold out at least until I sell that.

Know anybody in the market? ;)
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I am still looking hard at the new Pilot based Honda Ridegeline SUT coming out about the same time as the B9X. I am hoping that Subaru will turn out a Baja style B9X.

John
    The B9X will be announced in January, but won't be available until late spring at the earliest; more likely sometime during the summer.

Bob
    That's what I've heard as well. I may end up with the Pilot after all, but that won't be too hard to handle. I was quite impressed with it.

It all depends on how quickly my GT sells.
  • jon_in_ctjon_in_ct Member Posts: 137
    Someone needs to change the title of this discussion to "Subaru B9 Tribeca."

http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/news/press/2004/04_12_17e.pdf
    Not B9X!

http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/news/p...4/04_12_17e.pdf

and trademark applications in Canada...

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/1239/trdp123939400e.html

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/1206/trdp120625400e.html

This makes much more sense, especially down the road, when Subaru applies "B" names to existing models, such as the Forester, etc.

Bob
    Hey, looks like all our bitching about the name actually had an impact!

Sly
    It sounds more and more like a Murano-like vehicle (a city-slicker, with little or no off-road capability). I hope that's not the case.

Bob
  • rangnerrangner Member Posts: 336
    Beat me to it! :)

Names are irrelevant to me...only specs matter

Eric
    He beat me too. He must have posted as I was was writing my post., as I didn't even see his post until now :)

Bob
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    I vehemently deny that ;-)

Mark
    • Middle row seats slide fore and aft—GREAT!

• New suspension

• Center of gravity lower than BMW X5

http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2005/0501_subaru_b9_tri- beca/

Bob
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    The Tribeca will be very well equipped for a base price around $37,000, with power front seats, leather, all manner of airbags, and a power moonroof. Available goodies include DVD entertainment and touch-screen navigation systems.

If that is truly the base model's price, IMO it is dead before it gets out of the gate. It doesn't matter that it's fully equipped, you need a price leader to get people in the door. Oops, it's a "premium" brand so nevermind. ;-)

Hopefully the rumors of a more basic, lower priced, model are true.

DaveM
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    If that is the case, the car is out of my range. I would like to see what kind of miles the vehicle would get. I am looking for an SUV w/ good gas milage. Currently looking into the Murano or Highlander but can wait for the B9 if the price and milage is right.
    will be ~ $33K.

Bob
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I've finally seen what a real B9X looks like and I have to say that it's a fine looking car. Though the drawing is close...there are enough differences to possibly win over critics of the illustration released earlier.

Also, I haven't seen any photochops that really capture the right look. So you can pretty much ignore all of those you've seen so far. Reminds me most of a Porsche Cayenne at first glimpse.

DaveM
  • trueawdtrueawd Member Posts: 64
    Where and how did you see it??

I'm so excited to know what it's really like!!

Can you tell us more...