Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

DODGE 5.7 HEMI

ford250ford250 Member Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Dodge
What will Ford, Chevy, & Toyota do when the 5.7
Hemi runs all over you. The Hemi makes 350hp &
400ib-ft of torgue.

Comments

• towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    So... Know of any plans to stuff that hemi into the Dakota Quad???

Love my 5.9 QC... But the hemi setup might just be too hard to resist!!!
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Tow, every time they come out with a newer and more powerful engine, there are always fools that are ready to rush in to get one. For instance, there's towcrazy2 and bookitty.... are there any more?

Bookitty
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    What's an underdrive pulley? never heard of that.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Underdrive pulleys are very popular performance add ons that reduce the speed of whatever accessory they're installed on. ie: power steering pump, alternator, water pump by changing the diameter of the pulley. On an average 5.0 Mustang motor they've produced as much as 9 horsepower with similar results on the 4.6. Drawbacks include reduced charging (doesn't seem to be a problem on Ford's 130 amp alternator) and the slower water pump sometimes makes a difference in cooling, sometimes it doesn't.
  • s4016s4016 Member Posts: 12
    got a 97 5.2 2dr sport. Just love it. Cant' wait for that HEMI rocket to come out.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    So basically, an underdrive pulley will rob Peter (waterpump, alternator, ps) to pay Paul (rearwheel hp)?

Makes sense.
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    Quick notes about underdrive pulleys....some vehicle water pumps are driven by the timing belt, so UDP doesn't affect cooling. (Neon) Also, on vehicles with electric fans, UDP installation/engine cooling becomes even less of an issue...What I've read about pros/cons of a UDP:
    If your average commute is less than 25-30 miles, a UDP can (over the long term) cause shortened battery life, due to insufficient alternator rpms. Most vehicles do not have this problem, and even those vehicles with massive stereo systems that put a large load on the charging system don't usually exhibit problems. It has been theorized that accessories (alternator, P/S pump, A/C pump, etc.) actually last longer with a UDP, due to reduced rpms. Most newer vehicles are overdesigned with respect to charging/cooling systems, and in the case of the Quad, I'd suspect that this is also the case. Most of us opted for the heavy-duty service group with larger alternator, so I doubt any problems would surface, unless your normal driving mode includes hours of idling with A/C, lights, stereo, and other current usage...(police or emergency vehicles????) A UDP is a very cost-efficient way to increase power to the rear wheels. Typical cost is around $175-$225, including appropriate drive belt(s). Installation can be done at home, but most opt for the local mechanic at a charge between $50-$75. On my R/T Neon, I chose the biggest reduction UDP I could find (28% reduction), and it definatly gave a noticeable increase in acceleration (gain of about 6-7HP at the wheels). Remember, our vehicles are designed for the "lowest common denominator" driver, and have to survive being left idling for hours in the driveway with lights, fogs, stereo, A/C, laptop plugged in, and any other number of current drawing devices operating....I commute 105 miles a day, so probably a motorcycle battery would eventually recharge itself if I installed into the quad. One other note: aftermarket UDP's are usually substantially lighter than the stock, mass-produced iron pulleys. The lighter pulley is easier for the engine to get up to "spin", (rotational inertia), and some benefit is gained from that aspect also.
  • moparmadmoparmad Member Posts: 197
    So if the 354 Hemi becomes reality you could buy it to get 350 horse or you could spend about 15000 dollars on your 4.7 to ruin the warranty and gain a hundred theoretical horsepower.
    Hmmmmm...desicions,desicions,desicions
    BOO:
    Yes... I suppose there will always be fools like us. Isn't it wonderful, though, to be a "kid!?"

QUARK:
    You've definitely got a point regarding the 4.7 being "faster" than the 5.9. Were it not for the fact that I tow a rather substantial load, I certainly would have gone for the 4.7 rather than the 360.

BUT... Regardless of it's miserable mileage, the 5.9 gives me what I need... Supperior low-end grunt to get that load up to speed, and an "old-fashioned" tranny that's not going to let me down (knock on wood!).

So MANY ways of squeezing a few more suds out of these motors! Kinda fun, isn't it!!??
    Excuse me I thought that post read 5.7 not 5.9.The 5.7 Hemi prototype(and that is all we got to go by)is an all aluminum mill,and probably lighter than the 4.7L.15000 bucks is what it would cost the average guy who doesn't have your intricate knowledge of superchargers and computer controlled and monitered engines to get someone who does to put all this stuff into his truck.
    Underdrive pulleys don't affect warranties,but if you think Chrysler will warranty lets say your transmission after you add that Paxton huffer then you have totally lost touch with reality.Lets think about this...I manufacture a vehicle with a tranny to match a 230 horsepower engine and some guy comes in and says"Dude this tranny broke in my 475 horse Dakota"what am I gonna say.Exactly..."Sorry buddy read the fine print in that warranty,Doesn't cover problems due to misuse,or modification!"
    With the limited parts available for the 4.7L you will be lucky to come close to 300 horse and retain your warranty,plus everything available for a 4.7L will end up available for the 5.7L.
    I hate to act the prude here,or seem like I don't like the hotrod spirit,truth be known I applaude the effort to create a 4.7L powerhouse,but I just had to interject a little realism...Sorry
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I heard Don Garlitz explain that the beauty of the hemispherical chamber and round top piston was that it let you stick two really big valves in there.

But in modern high performance engines, the trick is to use 4 or 5 tiny ones, that don't have to open so far, don't need so much duration and overlap. Then use a flat top piston, so the burning charge forces the piston down, instead of inward on itself.

I think this new hemi will probably be quite different than the original, while hopefully being able to trade on the enthusiast's association with performance.
    ..on the blower voiding warranty-I was speaking about simpler, less invasive add-ons...on the $15k number, well...here in the Bay Area, many shops will add a Vortech supercharger to your basic V-8 for about $4-6K, including warranty. (yes, that includes, new pump, fuel injection parts, and replacement ECU, if needed..)
    Just a few additional thoughts-for "realism's sake"....
    Proto HP/Torque numbers rarely equate to production. Those gaudy 350HP/400TQ #'s will probably end up closer to 310 HP and 380TQ. Thank OBDIII and emissions controls for that.
    The all-alloy 5.7l proto is unlikely to make production in that configuration. Expect bottom-line DC considerations to recreate the motor as a cast-iron bottom/alloy head engine, like the 4.7l. This alone could account for about a 75lb weight differential. It's likely the main bearings and crank will be significantly larger than the 4.7l. Still, 75lbs is about what a blower and intercooler system would add to the 4.7l...so in that sense it's a tossup. In all fairness, if I was building up a Dakota I wouldn't start with a QuadCab, anyway...a regular cab with 5-speed would be a better choice..
    The real beauty of the Hemi is the centrally located spark plug and the valves being inline with the intake charge.True new engines use several small valves to produce the same results as two large ones,but there is no reason why a Hemi can't use multi valves.Ray Barton racing actually offers heads to make a 32 valve Hemi out of your vintage elephant.The efficiency of the Hemi probably makes this unneccessary in a street motor.The downfall of the Hemi was/is that it very expensive to produce.
    The numbers I last seen for the new Hemi were 354 horsepower and 354 ft pounds of torque.
    One quick note...horsepower,and 1/4 mile times mean little to nothing on the street...0-60 times are more indicative of street domination.
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    Everyone's already got them. Have you guys looked at the heads on the new modular motors from Ford? They are all hemi's. Toyota/Lexus has them, too. They aren't that expensive to build or Ford wouldn't have done it. OHC engines, esp DOHC's sort of lend themselves to this type of configuration anyway.
    So moparmad, you're right. There is no reason why a hemi can't use multiple valves. In fact, they already do. It's called the 4.6L Cobra motor, or the 5.4 Navigator motor, or the 4.7L Toyota/Lexus motor. They're everywhere. Hemi's are no longer break through technology known only to Dodge.
    Is that two cars can have identical 0-60 times, yet one is out front of the other. Think about it. It's true, a 1/4 mile is a little long for street domination, but measuring time to a distance is more telling than measuring time to a rate.

Hemi's had a sperical dome shape to the piston crown. These new multi valve engines use flat top pistons with dished pockets for valve relief, and a centrally located spark plug.
    The reason hemi's had domed pistons was for compression. A hemi head means it has a hemispherical combustion chamber, which gives you a very large combustion chamber size. In order to run 11:1, back in the day, they had to have domed pistons. These days everything runs from 8:1 to a little over 9:1. There is no need for domed pistons. I'm not sure if we are trying to say the same thing or not.
    Ford had Hemi's in the sixties too they were called Bosses,Chevy did too.But Dodge took the whole deal just a little farther.True that modern engines are a Semi-Hemi,if you want to take the term in it's technical meaning.But most modern engine use a wedge,or in Fords case a twisted wedge design.The Chrysler Hemi as evidenced by the 528 crate motor still uses a dome even at 9.0:1 compression.Yeah all combustion chambers are kinda dome shaped(unless it's a flathead)but it is the depth of the dome that makes it a true Hemi.Wether believe in the Hemi legend or not is secondary to the result produced in the new 5.7 Hemi prototype...350 Horsepower is 350 horsepower no matter what the shape of the chambers.
    Just a little irony for anyone interested...the new Hemi is slated to debut in the Chrysler 300 Hemi C,and is reported to be 354 cu. inches.The first Hemi ever to be used in the Chrysler 300 series was...354 cu. inches.
    What vehicle is Chrysler going to put this hemi engine in? The trucks?

BTW, Corvette 5.7L makes 345 hp.
    All the Boss motors were not Hemis. Only the Boss 429 which came out a few years AFTER the Dodge motor. What chevy ever had a hemi head????? Unless you're counting the Rodeck(sp?) heads which have nothing to do with Chevy. The Twisted wedge design is a patented head from TFS which basically rotates the valves off the centerline to unshroud the valves. TFS has no affiliation with Ford. Otherwise all Windsor Ford heads are all inline valves like stock small chevy and dodge heads without the siamese center exhaust valves in the middle which chevy went away from in the LSI motor. Hemi means hemispherical which simply means if the combustion chambers follow a parabolic arc it's a true hemi. If there is a variance in this arc it's a semi-head design. Like the Boss 429 the Hemis do need a lot of dome in the piston to make any compression. Of the new 4 valve heads I know my Cobra is NOT a hemi due to the figure 8 style and almost flat combustion chambers(wish I had a scanner). Sorry for rambling.
    Here's a picture for you.
    http://www.ouhsc.edu/jjoice/swirldam.jpg

So, no Ford modular engines are not "true" hemi's, but they do have valves on the opposite sides of the chambers, they are canted, a direct path for the fuel/ exhaust charges, a centrally located spark plug, yada yada yada.
    The 5.4 Cobra R engine makes 385 hp.
    Good pics. Can you find one for a real hemi? You'll see the incredible difference in the chamber as far as the how large the dome is. Also the valves come in at a lot more of an angle.

Maybe with new technology a new hemi will work. The reason it didn't is I don't believe it's that efficient of a design because of compromises of the piston shape and fell way ward due to lousy fuel and emission laws. If true hemis were superior streetable motors they wouldn't have ever left us.

In the normally aspirated Pro stock class the motor to beat is the Olds wedge head and even the Chrysler camp when not being busted for running G.M. blocks(true story by the way) doesn't run a hemi and Glidden went back to the Ford wedge dropping the Boss heads due to detonation problems when he was still racing. I know moparmad will come back with top fuel Hemis dominance but remember you're running 30+ pounds of boost on nitromethane on a motor that's basically rebuilt every quarter mile.

I'm curious about the new Chrysler hemi but it's not some magic potion for ultimate performance.
    You shall receive. Although this pic sucks, bad.

http://moon.ouhsc.edu/jjoice/392heads.jpg
    Although this is of an aluminum reproduction, racing type head, but I think we get the picture. Ha ha!!

http://moon.ouhsc.edu/jjoice/hemi.jpg
    This is a pretty good article, although sans pics.
    http://www.ai-online.com/articles/mar00/0300f0.htm
    I go for a 3 mile run and you already got the pics!!! Good job Bigsnag. I do believe a lot of the text and pictures confirms what I was saying. I was going to mention pentroof chambers but I didn't know exactly what shape they took. Maybe like the Cobra head???? I have been taught that big valves usually reduce low end torque due to lower velocities. Much like the text said about 4 valve heads. The advantage of a 4 valve head is either variable valve timing (as stated) or in the Cobra's case a split intake tract for low and high speed. Time will tell.
    Thank ya. Thank ya very much (in my best Elvis accent).
    As long as we are being technical about everything, let's just clear the air about Dodge's new "Hemi". It won't be a true Hemi, either. It looks like it is going to have combustion chambers like the 4.7 does, which is a semi-hemi. The word "Hemi" is a great marketing tool. Don't think that DC won't milk it for all it's worth. Check out this link for the details.

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b102599.htm
  • 2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    Actually, it was the production costs, not any shortcoming in the efficiency of the design that killed the Hemi. To quote Robert Ackerson's book on the 300, "A long standing indictment of the hemi-head had been it's complexity relative to the wedge-type cylinder head and the resulting high production costs. In time this issue would resurface at Chrysler."
    2Drive I give up with these guys,first they argue that all engines these days are Hemi's.Then they dig out all thier pictures to prove that all engines these days are not Hemi's.All they think they know is that Chrysler is marketing a larger 4.7 and calling it a Hemi.If they thought about this they would realize the obvious flaw in that thinking is that if Chrysler thought the Hemi name would sell they would call everything a Hemi,and certainly the 4.7L.
    O.K. I have dug out my April Mopar Action magazine they say this is an all new mill,it cranks out 354 horsepower at 4000 rpm and 354 ft pounds of torque at 3200 rpm.They also go on to say that this engine replaces the 360 in the trucks and will also power the up coming Charger R/T.It also features dual plugs per cylinder with a coil on plug ignition.
    Finally you knew it was coming...Hemi's aren't used in the mountain motor pro stock classes because a huge domed piston isn't the hot ticket for high revs.Top fuelers run massive boost which require a very high flow cylinder head,otherwise you are just creating lots of useless manifold pressure.And don't fool yourself any of the super serious dragracers tear their motors down after every run.
    I'm not saying that this new mill is the King Elephant reborn,I just think it is a bit closer to a true Hemi than anything we have seen lately.I'm also not saying that a Hemi head is the magical component to performance.I have been a subscriber to Mopar Performance magazine for many years and have found that they are almost always right when it comes to Mopars.They say it is a true Hemi,so I will believe them for now.
    Did you read the whole thing? Costs were a factor, never said otherwise, it also said emissions and low octane fuel were a factor. I said this BEFORE I read the link.

Moparmad, why so defensive? I actually said the new designs, from Ford in particular, AREN'T Hemis from the beginning. I also asked about the Chevy Hemi head that I've never heard of, doesn't mean it's not there, would like to learn about it if it exists. Also corrected you on the Twisted wedge quote. So who should be giving up on whom? Also seems the LSI Corvette motor puts out similar #'s without the benefit of a hemi head.(per Quadrunner) If you don't want to discuss it just say so and we'll all go away and praise the all new, not released hemi.
    It's just my feeling that getting 350 hp out of 5.7L is not impossibly difficult, as the Corvette proves. But if you're Chrysler, no harm in reviving the hemi trademark, even if it differs substantially from what it used to mean. I'm sure it's going to be popular, and I hope it is.

I'm still curious what DC is going to put it in? The trucks? Suvs? Prowler?
    Mountain motors are only in IHRA. NHRA has a 500 cube limit. A pro stock motor may or may not last through the weekend, true. A top fuel motor WILL burn up something EVERY run.
    Gentlemen/Ladies-
    Wasn't one of the negative characteristics of the old hemi engines a fragile valvetrain? I seem to remember that in small collisions, the valvetrain assembly was prone to damage.....or do I have neurons still crossed from the late '60's?
    -quark
    Corvette does it with 4 vavles per cylinder.Mopar does it with a 2 valve Hemi.I think the misunderstanding is that I am not saying the Hemi is better.I'm just saying the Hemi is just as good.Which seems to me that most non-moparites just spend all thier time trying to figure out why the Hemi is nothing but junk.
    I have always seen everyone in professional drag racing tearing apart thier funny cars and door slammers just as much as the top fuelers.In both cases it is generally just to check.If top fuelers have a higher failure rate then is it not possible that maybe it has more to do with stuffing 6000 horsepower into a 500 cube motor and less to do with an inferior engine design.
    I haven't ever heard of Hemi valve trains being weak per say,just very complicated.Interesting article I saw in a back issue I dug out suggested the true demise of the Hemi was it's shear size making it difficult to fit in ever shrinking engine bays.
    Whatever the reasons.I feel the Hemi is a good head.I feel the 5.7 Hemi might end up being a good engine,only time will tell.And I think that at least everyone should be happy that Dodge is at least trying to get back into performance V8's,if successfull it will force all manufacturers to raise the bar.Remember the Corvette V8 is high priced exotica,the proposed Hemi is slated to go into the Dakota,Ram and Charger R/T.This might make Chevy offer the Corvette V8(or something similar)to the masses,same with Ford.So I am done argueing,the 426 Hemi is legendary and I don't need to defend it's honor anymore,nor will I continue to speculate on an engine not yet in production.I am sorry if I sound arguementative at times I don't mean to.I enjoy seeing others opinions and some very good points were made.But I can't change your minds and you can't change mine so I will end by saying thanks for the conversation.
    do not have 4 valve heads, unless you count the late great ZR1 which has 405 HP.

Moparmad, sorry if I caused any of your negative attitude toward trying to have a conversation. The 426 hemi was legendary, my opinion was it just out lived its efficiency due to changing fuels and emissions. Your point about its size is well taken but remember we still had 440's, 460's and 454's many years after. Like the Ford Cleveland head, it was a hard motor to lower compression on and make streetable because of the times.

I think you might be angry because I questioned your comments on Boss motors, Chevy hemis, and twisted wedge heads. I honestly was questioning you on the Chevy because I don't know of a factory hemi head. Now you're mistaken on the Corvette motor. All people are trying to say is that the #'s are already there with less "exotic" heads(Corvette) and we question what benefit a NEW hemi is going to bring to the table considering we still have crappy gas and strict emissions etc.

I don't believe anybody flamed you or questioned what the 426 accomplished. I for one am curious what benefit the new head will have over "newer" technology. If you don't want to continue that's fine but please don't continue for the wrong reasons.
    Funny cars are Top Fuel cars.
    M-
    Sorry for being uncivil and making smarta$$ comments at the beginning of this board...Your comments are well-founded and welcome anytime. I'm certainly not an expert on Hemis or the new 5.7l motor....You participated in a discussion that led to greater understanding amongst our fellow Mopar fans...and that's why we "hang out" here at the keyboard, exploring ideas, sharing knowledge, etc., etc,. I tend to "go off" a little sometimes, so again, please accept my apologies-
    -quark
    As a side note, and I've seen similar sentiments expressed elsewhere, doesn't it seem like all the automakers "hold back" a little on engine improvements? There's always a little something extra in "next year's model", so I guess that's part of the marketing scheme. Case in point:
    In 1996, wasn't Ford's 4.6l only making 205 HP? Then suddenly, it's making 220 HP, or 240 HP in certain vehicles...now it's making 260 HP in the Mustang. Like the 5.4l in the F-150 and Expedition made 240 HP, then 260 HP, and now, of course, it makes 300 HP in the Navigator. Makes you wonder....Of course, in 2002, the 4.7l in the Dakota will probably be bumped up to, say 250 HP, and so on, and so on, ad infinitum. I remember when your basic 2.0l car made about 90-95 HP, then 110, then 125, then 140, then 150, then 170, now the Honda S2000 makes 240 HP! Of course, torque in these 2.0l cars (various automakers) has remained between 110 and 140 lbs....
    -quark
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    The production Chrysler 300 C is reportedly getting the (or a close variant of) the 4.7l in the Dakota, NOT the 5.7l hemi, and it'll also get a 'bunch' of crossover pieces from the Mercedes E class replacement- while a new 3.7l V-6 derived directly from the V-8 4.7l is scheduled to go in the new Jeep Cherokee replacement being built in a new plant in Toledo, OH and shipping next spring. I'm quite sure it'll replace the 3.9l. It sure looks like the 4.7l is destined to be the new corporate design mule. Can real performance mods be very far off? :-)
  • nrd525nrd525 Member Posts: 109
    They don't ALWAYS burn something up on every pass,but most of the time they do.Some of them go the whole weekend and don't hurt a thing,then next week burn it up on every pass.
    If everything is set just right,sometimes the price of the nitro is actually higher than the gaskets and sealer they use.A lot of the time,it looks worse than it really is,when tey open it up,it's just burned/backsided pistons.The pistons are pretty cheap,actually.
    A lot of the teams are just changing engines every round,and fixing them later.MAkes a lot of sense to me,with only 75 min.between rounds now.
    If by some chance a top fueler DOESN'T burn something up the crew chief will turn up the wick a little. It is my understanding that, like you said, they want to fry at least a few pistons on every run simply because they're running as lean as possible for max. power. It is a fine line and the tune-up can be right one run and be wrong the next due to any change in temp, humidity, pressure etc. "total rebuild" was the wrong term, sorry.

I like the idea of a "new" hemi design. I just question the benefit that some of the early posts state. The projected #'s are already there with 2 valve technology. And the 4 valve technology still whups it in HP per liter. So why bother???

Besides, with moparmad gone and no more misinformation on 4 valve Corvette motors and Chevy Hemis and twisted wedge heads and Boss motors this topic is sort of dead. LOL!!
    You didn't hear? The new Vette is coming out with a Boss 454. It's going to have forged magnesium 4 valve twisted wedge, high port, hemi heads designed by Robert Yates, himself. It's going to put out just under 7000 horsepower and get 97 mpg, in town.
    that it's a 4 wheel drive diesel with trailer tow. ROTFLMAO!!!!!!
    I thought it was going run on "cold" fusion.
    Any discussion of new engines and more power is ALWAYS interesting... As is Dodge re-entering NASCAR racing.

Don't know about you all, but speaking for myself, it'll be gratifying to see Chrysler put some bucks into the Winston series... Not that the cars will have anything at all in common with a production vehicle... But it's nice to see Dodge take an attitude shift toward racing again.
  • njt15njt15 Member Posts: 20
    M-mad, check you history books. The first Hemi was installed as early as 1951 in Dodges and Chryslers. The c.i. of the dodge Red ram was 270 something and the Chrysler - Firepower was a 331 c.i. Then came the 354 hemi and the 392 then the 426 hemi. The 426 hemi is known as the Elephant motor, but the earlier Hemi's are the whale motors. Also, I'm pretty sure that DeSoto also had a Fireflite hemi.
    njt15 Try actually reading the post I said the 354 Hemi was the first Hemi in the 300 series.That is the 300 series of cars.Which started in 1955.
    To the rest...
    I have heard many Chevy guys refer to the 427 as a semi Hemi.I don't know nothing about Chevys and Fords just like most of you know nothing about Mopars.I left this topic because I was tired of talking to people who just argue and don't read.I don't know everything,but I do know a little.Which is more that can be said of some here.I will just take my leave now because I can finally see there is no intelligent conversation to be had here.
    Hope your awkwardness in the social arena is limited to these boards...geez, no one's perfect, but it sure seems like you got either an insecurity complex or an ego problem. Why not stick around and share some of your mopar knowhow? We are all interested in learning, why else waste time at the keyboard? As far as intelligence goes....well, we all have something to contribute-maybe you could learn something from us, like a little patience.......
    -quark
    Chevies have semi hemi heads........wrong

Fords have twisted wedge heads.....wrong

New Corvettes have 4 valve heads...wrong

Chrysler Hemis came after the Ford Hemi.....wrong

Moparmad, you're right there is no intelligent conversation here. All those "facts" above are wrong.........Oh, they're all from you........nevermind. Sorry you feel we're so dumb.
    Sorry Quark99 that was not meant for you,I have enjoyed your insight.
    Modvptl...You are the one who told me that Ford never made a Hemi,except the 429 Boss.I said that Ford also made Hemi's and called them Boss's,so I was partially right.You are the one who said but it was after Mopar,I never said anything about any of them being first.
    I was told by friends that the 427 Rat was almost a Hemi...wrong or right,don't know don't care.
    Then someone says that the Corvette doesn't have four valve heads,except for the ZR-1.Well,last I knew the ZR-1 was a Corvette,so I was partially right.By the way,if four vavle heads are the last word in performance engines,why doesn't Chevy use them in the new Corvette?Don't get mad,just a question.
    Finally I was making the point that new Fords are not Hemi's as was suggested by another person,I confused the aftermarket Twisted Wedge heads with the stock wedges...so sue me.If they are a wedge of any kind I guess they are not a Hemi.
    Someone questioned the width point I brought up as to being an ingredient in the demise of the
    Hemi.They mentioned that other big blocks survived after the Hemi.To clarify I was talking about the width of the head itself,not the width of the block.Look into a V6 Daytona and try imagining the valve covers about twice as wide as they are,if you can find them.
    Now for the umteenth time...I am not saying the Hemi is any better than any current head,I'm just saying that it makes the power so what's the problem?Chrysler could have used any head and valve train they wanted,they chose the Hemi.Definately for the marketing aspect,but they must have seen something else there to invest the money in it.Remember,other than us gear heads alot of modern buyers don't know what a Hemi is,and could care less.
This discussion has been closed.