Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Comments

• Options
    rgbyhkrrgbyhkr Member Posts: 1
    I'm no longer amazed at what the US arms of various vehicle manufacturers will do to "protect" themselves from liability. Of course, that's because we're ridiculously litigious in this country. I'll save my tort reform rants for another thread, however. ;-)

Anyways, I was wondering about the comments on the lack of DVD video on the nav screen. That's not a big deal. What would be, however, is if even the DVD controls were disabled. Some may wonder what use the controls are if you can't see the movie up front. I have 2 children under the age of 3, so the RSE would be for them but they can't control it. I've already looked through the RSE manual for both the RR and RRS and really like the control from the nav screen.

I know it sounds silly. Why would they allow the controls but just disable the video? However, my 04 S55 does just that. MB Europe does the cut out at 5MPH or so on the video screen on the front display. For the US, they cut the video at all times (even parked and with the emergency brake engaged) and instead show a message saying something like "video has been disabled for your safety". However, the audio still goes through and the controls for navigating the DVD are all available.

You want to hear something even dumber? The MB system is designed so that the DVD drive built into the front nav system (separate DVD-ROM drive for Nav disc in the trunk along with a 6-disc CD changer) feeds a RSE system. So, the video from the disc is displayed on that screen at all times. Ridiculously, MBUSA decided not to offer the RSE option for US vehicles. So, the front drive slot will accept a DVD and you can hear the audio, but there is NO WAY to see the video given the lack of RSE and with video disabled up front all the time. How dumb is that? The only benefit is that you can use this drive for MP3 discs and, although it isn't documented, it will accept burned DVD-Rs as well as CD-Rs so you can get a whole lot more music onto a single disc.

Even if the controls on the nav screen were disabled, I guess you could use the remote. However, since IR is line of sight, it probably wouldn't work while being held by someone up front. Can anyone comment on the up front controls or remote idea?

Thanks.

Jeff
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    That is stupid and sucks that they are changing out the limited edtion stormer wheels for aftermarket ones. I hope they are at least giving people the stormer wheels when the buy the truck. Part of what makes the First edition cars special is that they are the only ones getting the limited edition stormer wheels. You can't get them on any other land rover.
  • Options
    dubsacdubsac Member Posts: 10
    I'm sure they will just put them on an HSE and use it as another excuse to jack up the price! I tried to get the stormer wheels when I ordered mine this week but was told I couldn't. I have already seen two sets for sale on eBay though..
  • Options
    bgreigbgreig Member Posts: 17
    Land Rover of North America told me today that all speedometers in their vehicles are designed to be inaccurate. Specifically, the faster you go the more they are to be off the true speed. Mine shows 74 mph when the cruise control (which they say is accurate) reads 70 mph. They refuse to fix the speedometer, because "it would cost too much to change it." They say they equip their vehicles with inaccurate speedometers "because of lawsuits against the company."

Please let me know if you have the same problem. Perhaps if everyone complains it will no longer "cost too much to change it."
  • Options
    bgreigbgreig Member Posts: 17
    The Land Rover website for Range Rover Sport describes this feature of the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 radio:

"Controlled via touchscreen, Voice Recognition System, or steering wheel controls"

Can anyone tell me how to access the touchscreen controls for this radio? The sales brochure seems to say it is the same screen as is used for the nav system, the only touch screen I have been able to find.
  • Options
    I don't have any sports around no my lot to test this but I think you can only control the radio from the touch screen if you have the Rear Seat Entertainment option. That is what I remember anyway. The full size Range Rover the has everything controled by the touch screen.
  • Options
    grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    It's a mistake on the web site. Marketing sometimes has trouble understanding that RRS isn't a Range Rover, which uses the Touchscreen as the main vehicle interface... including vehicle info, phone, radio, Navigation, backup camera, etc.

No, on a Sport with the RSES/DVD... the touchscreen only controls... the Rear Seat Entertainment System. :D
  • Options
    You get around. :P I'll post a my reply regarding inaccurate speedos here, too:

"European standard ECE-R 39 states that the speed indicated must never be lower than the true speed or higher by more than 1/10 of true speed plus 4 kilometers per hour -- 79.5 MPH at a true 70 MPH. And this applies even if tires are upsized from stock sizing.

Remember, variations in inflation levels, wear, etc. can also change the reading by ~2% at 70 MPH. So, pretty much expect "it will read higher"... especially from vehicles designed in Europe. As a driver, you'd probably be happier with the police if it didn't read low, too."
  • Options
    elinselins Member Posts: 4
    I have an HSE and I sometimes notice the rear suspension moving a bit up and down for a second after I get out of the car and turn it off. Not bad enough to make me make special trip back to dealer (and they may say it is "normal") but I will mention it at 6 mos. service.
  • Options
    Thats normal the car is auto-leveling after you got out of the vehicle.
  • Options
    chris38chris38 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a supercharged sport at the beginning of August the dealer had a built slot open and proccesed the order on the 23rd of August. Its October 3td and he still has no clue of an ETA, is this normal? I have read peoples posts on this forum and other forums and it seems like everyone knows when their cars are arriving.
  • Options
    If he ordered it during the August order call it could come in as soon as november or as late as december and that is probably all he knows.

I have stopped giving out dates anymore exact then that because whenever I tell a customer there car is coming in on a certain date it always ends up being a week or more late.

Example I had two cars I was trying to deliver before the end of the month to hit some bonus goals and both were supposed to arrive on the 25th of September so I thought I could make it. Well first they got pushed back to the 27th then the 29th and then the 30th and I had pretty much given up. Well now they both just arrived today along with two other cars that were supposed to come in last week as well.
  • Options
    do all orders get placed on one day of the month? I ordered my car on September 23rd, hopefully I made the September order call!
  • Options
    fratkid21fratkid21 Member Posts: 12
    I have a RRS (not SC), and everytime I get to about 50-60 mph, i get a s nasty, embarrassing steering wheel vibration. It is almost as if the tires are not balanced. I have had it in for service twice for this, and they tell me that it cannot be fixed, and that it is "normal".... i am not happy...

has anyone else had this problem?
    is there a a way to get in touch with a regional or district service manager?

thanks for your help.
  • Options
    sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    Does anyone know when orders placed on or around July 15th for both the Range Rover Supercharged and RRS would be delivered?
  • Options
    Order car was on the 27th of september so yeah you made it.

We don't always get to order cars every month either it depends on what land rover lets us do. One month this summer we could not order cars but I can't remember which month it was.
  • Options
    Has anyone with an RRS with the bluetooth "PTI" option been able to make it work with a Treo 650? Thanks
  • Options
    fratkid21fratkid21 Member Posts: 12
    It doesnt work!

actually, when you first start up the car, the 650 works with the bluetooth connection for your first call, then it wont work again, until you turn the car off and back on again..... i have been playing with this for 2 months now, and thats the best i can get....

now, when you try to make any subsequent calls, or have an incoming call (after you have used your one time connection), you hear a nasty loud ringing sound on the car's speaker, as if you are trying to connect with someone.... however, if you take your treo 650, and press the "cancel headset" button (on the screen), you can then hear who you are calling/who is calling you (thru the treo speaker), and they are usually saying "hello, hello....." Hence, on the other end, they are trying to talk to you, and all you hear is a ringing sound.....

that has been my expreience.... so basically, it will work for the first call, everytime you get in the car.....

I have sprint, and so far, there are no sprint phones that are approved for use with the PTI system.....

Hopefully that helps!
  • Options
    thanks.. that sounds pretty frustrating. My car is on order, hopefully they will come out with a fix to support more phones by the time it arrives..
  • Options
    rodehogrodehog Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought an SC that did not come equiped with PTI. I'm having the dealer install it aftermarket this week and wondered if anyone had any experience with this? By the way, I'm paying $1000 for an option that would have cost $400.
  • Options
    horndog2horndog2 Member Posts: 3
    the bluetooth integration for your Treo 650 will work, but it's a little sloppy. the sound quality leaves something to be desired. You'll have different numbers (than the one you dialed or that is calling you) appear on the screen. I ended up buying a cradle and a Nokia phone. It's a hassle to swich out the sim card, but it works better than bluetooth.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "BMW might offer slightly more athleticism from its X5, but the 2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged is no wallflower. Although its fuel mileage is laughable and its curb weight sounds like something from the Hummer collection, we applaud its designer look, its strong performance and its artful interior."

2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    simon13simon13 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Can any one of you help me? i am placing an order for the new SC sport and have never seen a white one here in the UK, would it be possible for anyone to add a couple of pictures if they have a white one. Over here everyone goes for all the dark colours and i really need to see a white one. Please!!!!!
  • Options
    1ton1ton Member Posts: 1
    Simon13, I am not a big fan of white cars but on the RRS it looks really good. You can view a picutre of one here.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10079&pos=5
  • Options
    sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    White is absolutely the way to go. Without question it is the only color guaranteed to show the lines of a car clearly, the way the designers intended.
    In addition, it doesn't reveal swirl marks from polishing and contrary to most opinion, it really doesn't show dust and dirt as much as other colors.
    And those dark colors? Who can tell the difference between a dark green, blue or burgundy? In anything other than bright sunlight, they all look kinda black .
  • Options
    umbertobumbertob Member Posts: 39
    Here are some photos of my white HSE, I obviously agree with you as most RRS sold here in California appear to be silver, dark grey or black. Regardless of color, it is a great car, you will love it.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=10111

--
    Umberto B
  • Options
    I'd love to see some pictures of the RRS with aftermarket wheels.. If anyone has a link to pictures of theirs or ones they have spotted it would be much appreciated.

Also, I remember there was a website a while back that let you view custom wheels "on" your car of choice. I can't remember the URL, does anyone know of one of these that has the RRS as an available choice?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    view custom wheels "on" your car of choice

I remember seeing that at TireRack before, and they have the RRS as a vehicle option.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Thanks Steve, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, although there are options for the Range Rover and RRS, they put same picture of the big Rover in for the RRS option. I will email them, hopefully they will fix it.
  • Options
    I found the answer -- but it's expensive. There is a product called NAV-TV from a company in FL http://www.nav-tv.com/. They have you remove the module, which is housed above the DVD player in the rear. Apparently they sprinkle pixie dust on the module and send it back to you capable of viewing the DVD output on the front screen. They want $2000 for the pixie dust. I'm pretty sure the DVD system didn't cost much more than that!!! :cry:
  • Options
    As I posted elsewhere...

There are 3 analog video inputs on the rear of the touchscreen, one of which is supposed to be fed by the rear DVD video unit. (Note: They are odd connectors.) It's not wired at all in North America. It's very possible it may "just work" if connected. (I have no idea if they changed anything else to prevent it's use.) If you are feeling adventuresome, take any portable device with analog composite video out and see if you can get a picture in the "black box." If that's successful, then you need to figure out how to wire the rear DVD playback unit all the way to the touchscreen... and the behavior may be like overseas RRS, which allows DVD video in front (while stopped only, I think.)

No idea what "Nav-TV" changes... all I know is that it's definitely not worth what the Nav-TV installers are charging. :surprise: Of course, it's not in their best interest to explain what they are doing for profit purposes.
  • Options
    If you go to the "build your vehicle" section of Land Rover's UK site and select the RRS, there are three new color options without swatches uploaded. They are described as Zermatt Silver, Lugano Teal and Atacama Sand Metallic. There is also an Adriatic Blue Metallic that does have the color swatch uploaded. Anyone know what the deal is with these?
  • Options
    Zermatt silver is the new silver that will replace Zambezi in a couple of months. It is a few shades daker then zambezi. Lugano Teal is a new color for the sport only that I think is kind of cool looking. It looks just like a very dark green in the shade but as soon as it goes into hard sunlight it changes into a multifacetd shimering kind of greenish blue sea green kind of color with lots of metal flake.

The atacama sand color is a color simlar to the old white gold color can't really describe it besides that.

Adriatic blue is the old blue that was replaced by Buckingham blue at least in the US. It is a little lighter then the buckingham and has metal flake in it.
  • Options
    jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    In the UK here i have seen a lot of Range Rover Sport models. When driving past one or following one i always notice how poorly designed i think this car is underneath. I have noticed a bit of exhaust that i dont think is meant to be seen, and the spare tire is quite visible. I think its off putting for a car that cost £50K. Anyone else noticed this?
    And, does anyone else think that the twin exhausts on the Supercharged model look a bit small and pathetic for a car that is trying to be "sporty"?
  • Options
    blackpearl3blackpearl3 Member Posts: 3
    A Spanish "Hola" for everyone!

I have just passed the 10 thousands Km mark with my HSE RRS and I am really disapointed with the excessive balancing in the curves. Of course I couldn't get the D.Response option and I realize that the car is far less stable on the curves than my previous Disco II Optima, a car I bought for almost 50% less!!!!

Last week I went to a mountain trip with my 2 kids on the back and we had to stop every 15mn in order to avoid car sickness, unfortunately this was not only a kids problem but... mine too!!

As anyone experienced the same problem?

Another one is that my dealer sold me the phone option only after the car arrived without it. So he installed it afterwards I had bought the car, made me pay the full phone option price... but I DO NOT SEE ANY phone CRADDLE INSTALLED IN THE CAR, as mentioned in the catalog... therefore I can only use the phone option through a bluetooth connection. Has the dealer forgotten to install it or what?

Thanks for your help,

Raf - Madrid
  • Options
    Update on this issue. I took off the rear inside quarter and found the control unit for the DVD player. There was an unused port AND and unused connector which was capped off (this was an aqua blue wire, about the thickness of an RG-6 cable wire with a black connector). I connected the loose cable to the unit, but it still didn't display video on the front screen. There are no visible switches or any other ports for connecting to this unit. You mention a 3rd video input on the rear of the touchscreen. Is there an unused blue wire hanging back there by any chance?? :confuse:
  • Options
    Buenos tardes mi amigo.

Ok that was the extant of my spanish pretty much.

I don't see how you can think the RRS is less stable then any Disco, even one with ACE, since the sport is lower to the ground with about the same mass and fully independent air suspension.

As to the phone cradle I know at least for the US market there is no way to put a cradle into a car that did not have the Personal Telephone integration from the factory. The retailer installed version of PTI is a bluetooth only option.
  • Options
    blackpearl3blackpearl3 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks British Rover for your answer on Stability and telephone craddle.

I did not get the craddle (only the bluetooth set up).
    Any idea on how much is the retailer PTI bluetooth-only option price??

Regarding the rather poor RRS curves stability, it is my only critic to this vehicle, I deeply regret not having being able to buy the D.Response option even for some 3000 bucks more!

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    uscrrsuscrrs Member Posts: 6
    I just got a White RRS, I was wondering if anyone has painted the lower portion of thier bumpers to color match. If so can you post some pics. I was also wondering what your opinions are on the idea. I think the unpainted plastic cheapens the look of the car a bit.
  • Options
    uscrrsuscrrs Member Posts: 6
    How did you get the Nav to play DVD's, how much is it to convert it to a dvd player.
    P.S. I got my white RRS from symes as well
  • Options
    brian500brian500 Member Posts: 10
    read a lot of great insight here.... I bought a silver/black supercharged with all the bells.
  • Options
    brian500brian500 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone researched roof racks? I need to be able to put my surfboard on top and was wondering if anyone has tried the Land Rover rack with crossbars that has to be installed at the dealer. I’m a little worried about the wind noise and aesthetics.
  • Options
    So I know a while back someone was asking about a white range sport well I just got one in. I did not think I would like it but now that I am sitting here looking at it out the windows I got to say damn that is a hot hot car.

White with Alpaca I think is the way to go although we have a white with ivory on order so I will know what that looks like in a couple of more days and get back to you.
  • Options
    superlative_1superlative_1 Member Posts: 3
    I was at my local LR dealer and saw a RRS HSE w/o NAV. I thought RRS HSE came standard with Navigation? Anyone else seen any configured this way?
  • Options
    lap1lap1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Black Pearl I live in Valencia and I have had a RRS HSE TDV6 since July. Personally I think the car handles brilliantly and I do not have DR. Regarding the phone from talking to people who own RRS's the factory install is the best.It enables you to use the keypad and the Phone numbers are visible on the Audio Monitor. The after-factory install as far as I am aware is a Bluetooth -only installation with the two buttons added to the steering-wheel.For 713€ I don't think it is worth the money. A Parrot CK3000 or CK3100 does the same for 200€. I don't have the phone option because I don´t think the factory install is worth the money for the uses which it has. Hope that this has been of help to you.
  • Options
    You saw an SE model RRS. They made a few hundred SE model sports as testing mules/Demos. They are only avalible for sale to Land Rover employees and dealership employees.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your purchase, did you deal with Robert at Symes?

Reagrading DVDs playing on the front monitor, my car came with the factory RSE. I contacted Overfinch in Los Angeles and got the Nav-TV modification kit installed. It is expensive (I paid about $1500 for parts and labor, although I heard of other people being quoted nearly twice as much for the same installation by other Nav-TV dealers, so shop around), but I am very happy with the totally integrated results. You can read more about this modification in a (longish) thread on rangerovers.net:

http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3116&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Regardng painting the lower plastic trims on sides and bumpers of the Sport to match the body color, I personally like the look of my car just the way it is but it is a matter of preference. Also consider that a white finish may require very frequent cleaning and touchups in those areas.
  • Options
    superlative_1superlative_1 Member Posts: 3
    British_Rover, thanks for the response. Interesting that you say that. My dealer tried to sell it to me, and I'm not an employee of the dealership or LR. Do you know of any other differences between the SE model RRS and the HSE model RRS.
  • Options
    Just happened to visit Symes Land Rover in Pasadena today and what do you know, they had a Zambezi silver SC in their showroom, with all plastic trim pieces (including door handles, grilles, etc.) color keyed to match the body color :

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=94

Now that I have seen one in the flesh I have to admit it, the color match job looks pretty hot. Too bad it wasn't a white one like yours and mine. I imagine going directly to a good body shop would likely be cheaper than what the dealer is asking for this ($3900 or so).