Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L Styling Impressions

lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
Just for fun, I predict the engine won't grow a lot in the next generation. Probably 4.5 or 5.0 maximum. They're probably just gonna make it very aerodynamical and give it a very good automatic transmission so that the car can accelerate fast without too much horsepower (being economic and not very polluting) like the current car. But just see how it's fantastic: it only needs 290 horsepower to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 6.6 seconds even if its heavy and kind of square. Just compare to the Q45 from Infiniti: it has 340 hp (50 hp advantage!) and just manages to do 0-100 km/h in 7.2 seconds. Anyway, I hope they make the new LS more sexy this time because I know Lexus is able to do it but just doesn't want to.

Comments

• boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    Well with their new styling direction, it's bound to be more "sexy"
  • jvcnjvcn Member Posts: 50
    I hope not but fear you are right. The LS appeal to me is its stately and restrained elegance. Especially the LS400. I feel Lexus already started down the wrong track with the LS430, although it's still very good.

The concept car pics just frighten me. They listen to all these critics who say It should be more sexy, It should have more oomph, It should be more BMW like in suspension.

I say, A pox on these critics.

Let Lexus be Lexus. Play with the GS if you like but please leave the top of the line as the world's best, most reliable, most refined, and most comfortable luxo cruiser.

Oh well, a "Sexy" 2007 LS will just mean more high quality used 1998-2000 LS400s and LS430s for me to buy cheap.
  • dewayne1982dewayne1982 Member Posts: 8
    The next-generation LS sedan should take evolutionary design cues from the second generation LS 400, which after nearly a decade, continues to epitomize unpretentious luxury and elegance. While an interesting design in its own right, the LS 430 lacks the graceful verve of the LS 400, especially in the greenhouse and grille designs.
  • bobcatmanbobcatman Member Posts: 51
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    Looks very good.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    I don't see any picture....just a pic that says "imagestation.com" and "Sorry".
    I could see it when I posted my previous post but now I can't see it anymore. It was nice though.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    You can provide a link to the photo, which generally works better anyway. Seems that the photo now appears, though.

here's the link

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    As I have written before the LS 430 is a pig in snow an strikes fear in we North Easterners when snow is forecast. I believe the LS 430 is the best automobile made, however if you take it out in snow check your life insurance policy. I am considering an 2005 Acura RL. Its an advanced car with AWD but their is no ride like a Lexus.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    The only real weakness the car has is curb appeal. And even now it outsells 745 and S500 two to one! So who knows how Lexus will respond to a market that seems to fully appreciate what a great car the LS is already.

DrFill
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    I don't think thats the photo of the next LS. That artist's impression was passed around the internet as the next GS.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Recent news can be found in the link provided in the post below:

deanedell, "Lexus LS" #6720, 21 Dec 2004 11:38 am
    Thanks!
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    That picture is definitely LS. According to car and driver as of this month, the car will debut with a new 5.0L engine as LS500.
    If that's true, then the Blingers have taken over.

I guess the world really is coming to an end.

Happy New Year.
    Does anyone here think this spy pic of the 2007 LS is real ?

http://img19.exs.cx/img19/3486/06is3009oa.jpg
    Hum, I can't tell but this looks like a GS. I know I can't read Japanese but it's written 4.5, 4.6 and 5.0. This could tell the engines displacement.
    That certainly could be a possibility. The LF-S is supposed to signifiy where Lexus is going with the '07 car.
    Unfortunately, we all know what the GS will look like for a while!

Drfill
    I like the new GS's looks a lot better than both the '93 and the '98 version, neither of which aged (or sold) well a few years after their introductions. The interior also finally looks worth the price tag as well.
    I saw the 2006 GS300 in person and although it didn't give me any itch to get behind the wheels and drive one, it wasn't repulsive either. Kinda typical Lexus - bland.

OTOH, any e39 moves my spirit, if only they are more reliable than the Lex... But I am still gonna buy a 330ci when the kids leave forCollege in like 5 yrs from now.
    And a hybrid that produces V10 power with V6 economy.

But in the same breathe they said the IS will debut in Tokyo not Geneva, so their sources aren't golden.

DrFill
    Funny, I see several 3 series every day, and I dont even give them a second glance. The M3 definitely has some sex appeal, but the regular cars just make me yawn, at least style wise.
    You are right, the 3 is as common as the cold/flu, BUT I still like it as the single sole remaining non-Banglized Bimmer. Equally more important, is that it remains a benchmark for the class and the 330 is at the top of that heap. Having driven this car several times, I am sold on buying one. The only thing that may change that is if the IS350 is competitive (ride, handling, performance), a good looker and priced right. Otherwise, my money goes to the Bimmer.
    Wasn't the styling of the 1993-1998 GS derived from a rejected Jaguar Kensington concept car?
    I think I have the right thing:

2007 LS would have:

- a new 4.7 V8 for base models (coming from the LF-A, detuned to 360hp)

- OR a new 4.5 V8 (330hp)

- a new hybrid 4.5 V8 simulating the power of a V12 (550hp)

- OR the LF-A's 4.7 + hybrid (600hp)
    I like to drive a 3 series, but I wouldnt really want to own one. Dont you still get stuck with a tape deck and REALLY poor NAV system? Oh and something like 11 cu.ft of trunk space? The '05 G35x is my pick of the segment until the IS350 possibly displaces it.
    The new one should have at least 350HP, but any hybrid wouldn't add more than 100HP, at the absolute most.

I think they'd sell 50HP to get Accord Hybrid mileage (29/37 or better!)

Do they need a V10 or V12 with superpowered hybrids? I doubt it.

DrFill
    Yeah Lexus is still working on being able to compete with the AMG 5.5L V8, let alone their new 6.0L twin turbo 12 "65" engine. I agree Lexus is more interested in class leading fuel economy than Mercedes horsepower insanity.
    Don't need no stinking NAV in a 3-er. I want to drive the car not live in it. Now, if you are talking about the LS, that is another story entirely. I want it all loaded up with all the gadgets. It is my pleasure cush-mobile.

Currently, I have an '03 Matrix which is a lotta fun to drive with the "Rolla engine. When I drive that car, I am like a 17-yr-old boy-racer, not a 40+-old middle-aged guy.

The 2007 LS will have a SWB 4.6L engine turning out 350-ish bhp. I'll expect a 5.7-5.9s 0-60. The LWB version + hybrid should be close to 500bhp (350 gas + 100 battery), and should be mid-5s 0-60. This car will probably retail close to $90K, going against the 760 and the S500. The *regular* SWB model should be in the mid-70's price-wise.
    One Ting: The LS already runs around 6 seconds with 290HP, so adding 60HP, plus torque, would make it into mid-5s, as long as the car stays south of 4300 lbs.

A 450HP car depends on weight being under 5000 lbs.

Lexus is nothing if not efficient, even in their LS brouchures stating NO CAR should weight 2 1/2 tons!

2nd Ting: Lexus will stay under $65k with the new car!

Value is their advantage in the market. They have a deathgrip on the market, approaching a 3:1 sales advantage over the Germans, which means TWO TINGS:

1st Ting: They can sell for more.

Second Ting: They need to keep this advantage WHILE selling for more!

I'd guess a low $60s price, and a nice package to keep the prie around $70k, then anoher package to move the price to $80k, then you start the LWB model around there, with MUCH more power & economy than a S500!

That model should be pretty loaded, and top out short of $90k.

People are trumping up the next S-Class.

It'll be a knocked-off Maybach. It could work, but I don't know what the base car will pack, or will price, so we'll see.

This new LS will be like an Atomic Bomb in the market! I think the 7-series, in particular will be crushed, as it won't recover from the damage this generation has done to new and repeat buyers. The styling, ergonomics, and quality have really hurt the whole line.

DrFill
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    It bears no striking resemblance to the LF-S, imo. What's with those different rims ??? Is that how new cars are tested, or is it a photochopped pic of the Avalon stretched to look like an LS?
  • speedluxspeedlux Member Posts: 23
    It's not a next LS, It's a toyota Crown. A sport sedan with RWD and AWD of toyota as shown on toyota website. It about the size of the last generation LS400. I believed it has been release in Europe. This will kill Ford 500, and chrysler 300.
    I generally get the impression the LS will have a much bolder look than that.

You can tell by that rear door the car is less than 5 meters.

DrFill
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Lexus Division General Manager Denny Clements announced at the NADA convention that just finished up the following official new redesign products and release dates:

GS 350/GS 460 Spring 2005

IS 250/IS 350 Fall 2005

ES 350 Spring 2006

GS 450h Spring 2006

LS 460 Fall 2006

As you can see, the new LS will be 4.6 liters and a 2007 model. I hope this helps with the limited flow of accurate new model release dates from Lexus.
    For months it's been GS300 this and that. Lexus themselves have been putting over the 3.0 engine.

Nothing else there surprises me. The GS hybrid should be given some time to flourish before the LS arrives.

I wonder when the 5.0 V8 arrives. Is that a facelift addition.

DrFill
    So the engine powering the next-generation GS will produce more than 300 horsepower?
    (Check their website), this adds credence to the potential 300HP version of the 3.5. Danny Clements said this GS will be the best-performing Lexus ever, so hopefully he has some heavy weapons up his sleeve, as not enough has changed yet.

DrFill
  • drivetraindrivetrain Member Posts: 5
    Did Clements reveal whether the LS460 intro would include a hybrid version?
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    No, he stopped with the new 2007 LS460 introduction and only published the new sedan releases. However, I expect that they will follow the pattern of the new GS with a LS 450h in the fall of 2007 as a 2008 model. The big question I would have is if the LS will actually pack more power and maybe something like a LS 500h.

It make sense to me that they would want to have at least a year with the regular gasoline version of a totally new model before they make the leap to the hybrid. In fact, for any automobile company other than Lexus/Toyota I would say that only a year would be pushing it too much. However, as many of you have noted, Lexus has demonstrated that they are the master of automotive product execution.
    The LS will have a L460h LWB for 2009, and a L500 LWB model.

DrFill
  • k_mitsuik_mitsui Member Posts: 26
    No this is certainly not the Lexus LS sedan. From what I heard people whom are currently working on this project at Higashi-Fuji Technical Center (東富士研究&amp- ;#25152;), the first prototype of this vechile would not be produce until May of this year.

Hope this would help

Ken
    Praise the Lord! There's still hope that the LS won't be ruined.
    Since Japanese is my native language, let me help you to translate this article. Basically what the person said in the article is the new LS sedan would have a 4.6 liter engine, a hybrid version for the 4.5 liter engine and a 5.0 liter GT version. Other sources (outside this article) from Japan also claim there would be also a traditional 5.0 liter engine available for the LS and a stretch wheelbase model for each displacement model on the LS sedan as an option. These rumors have being confirmed in several Japanese automotive forums and my discussion with some of the researchers working on this project on Higashi-Fuji Technical Center in Japan, but there's always a chance Toyota might change their mind at last moment before the LS release date. Now the question is would the GT version would import a hybrid powerplant like the 4.5 liter version as well? the general consent currently flowing around the Japanese forum is "YES", however it's still early to tell and we hope that more information such as photos would become available once the first prototype of this vehicle is made at around May of this year.

Now allow me to explain what is main target market for the LS sedan; like always their major competition would point directly to the Mercedes S-class but this time the LS model would take onto the entire S-Class Line-up and would try to suppress the current and the future S-class sedan in all aspects such as interior dimensions, power, driving dynamics, etc. Here's are the breakdown of possible competitions:

LS460 would compete S430

LS500 GT would compete S55

LS450 hybrid?? or LS500 hybrid would compete S600??

Okay this would be as far as I would talk about the LS sedan today, I would continue with a discussion about the possible release date for the LS sedan and other interesting rumors about the LS sedan on a later date

Ken
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Thank you for your post! Please do keep on providing info for us as it becomes available, both on the LS and other future Lexus vehicles.
    LS460, LS460 LWB

LS450h, LS450h LWB

LS500, LS500 LWB

I can't see that happening, a one model, one trim lineup becoming a family of six in one generation.

Why make three engines? Why make a 4.5 and 4.6? Why not a hybrid 4.6?

Lexus is way too efficient to make two seperate engines so close in size for the same car.

DrFill
    What I am talking about is only some speculation of the car currently flowing around the Japanese Automotive forum. Nothing that I or any of my friends back in Japan have confirm such information so far about the engine displacement. But we are very certain as state in the last post that just like the Mercedes S-Class there would be a stretch wheel base version for the future LS model unless if they change their mind at last moment. Your point does made sense in terms of to make one the 4.6 liter in Gaslionie and a hybrid using the 4.6 liter as well since it's the most cost efficient way to do. I also hear there's a couple of Japanese people raise the similar concern too back in the Japanese forum and I hope there would be some answers available may-be next or so

Hope this would help

Ken
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Wow it did. A strech LS? You can bet that the 4.6L will be one helluva lot more powerful than the 4.3.... but here's the problem. If it becomes less of a rolling cloud, it will lose a large hunk of its fan base. You know, people who like to sleep while riding. Or read, or don't want to be rattled like peas in a pod. A 5.0 engine scares me slightly, because it sounds like a jab at the S55AMG, but you can bet it'll be cheaper.

I love the Lexus hybrid idea because so many rich and famous people want these hybrids, and they have to make do with a Prius to get a full hybrid. (Or a Ford Escape, but it's too normal looking)

The Accord hybrid looks like a regualr Accord, and they sell so many that it is very ordinary. Ditto the Civic. The Insight is too weird. Lexus comes in with

a) luxury. Cloud-like

b) a hint of sport (LS500??)

c) long wheelbase (kind of like an Arnage, eh?)

d) HYBRID=STYLE

Add to that the expected GS hybrid, and Lexus has a very stylish portfolio. Now if only they would fix the ES330.... and the IS....

A ri ga to u go za i ma su

Err... my Japanese sucks.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    If Lexus follows the naming convention used with the RX400h, might not an LS450h have a less-than-4.5L gasoline engine? For instance might it have a 3.5L gas engine coupled with the hybrid elements to give 4.5L-like performance?