Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• oldguy8oldguy8 Member Posts: 12
    Power, power, power, it should be mileage, mileage, mileage, I don't give a rip how fast I can get from 0 to 60, it's how much gas it takes at each fill up for miles driven!
    Like the fit and finish, not completely satisfied with gas mileage, from past Buick's this is a very different design that is going to take some getting used to.
  • jg585jg585 Member Posts: 9
    Yes, above the RR door. very strange
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Is anyone CURRENTLY comparing these vehicles?
  • scandiakenscandiaken Member Posts: 11
    How come nobody has asked for better lighting on the gauges?
    Can others read the gauges when the lights are on "auto" and you
    are heading into the sun or wearing sunglasses or both?
    Is there an available fix for this?
    Is that why it is not being mentioned here in this blog?
  • jg585jg585 Member Posts: 9
    I have an ’07 Lucerne and have not had an issue with the gauges under any conditions. Hm?
    Good luck with that.
    My seats are awful.
  • scandiakenscandiaken Member Posts: 11
    Do you have bucket seats? Lots of complaints about those.
    I have the bench 40-20-40 seats (without leather)
    We have been happy with those
    Suppose there is a connection between the floor shift and the
    instrument lighting?
    I also have the shift lever on the steering column the way god intended
  • wr_guywr_guy Member Posts: 13
    I had an Acura Legend and an MB 420SEL before this CSX. The MB was 3 times the price and was a great car but not perfect. Other than the fact that the Buick is front drive and the construction is not MB class it is similar to the MB. The Acura was a much smaller car but very nice and trouble free.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    That was my first impression as well with the Lucerne CXS. Big, solid, and heavy. It drives exactly like a Mercedes 420. Not bad, really, when you consider that the S Class was the best car in the world a decade or so ago. But it's not a modern luxury car - it's basically GM doing Hyundai's trick. Taking 10 year old technology and selling it for a fraction of the price. Not that cars a decade ago were rubbish. It's just that if you want a good box to get around for the least money, get the Hyundai. If you want a good luxury car for the least money possible, the Lucerne is a decent choice.
  • 0to60in15mins0to60in15mins Member Posts: 4
    Has any one driven an 09 Lucerne with the 3.9? I have driven the 3.9 in an Impala last spring and it was fairly strong vs the 3.8. I did notice that the 3.9 seemed to burn more fuel than the 3.8.

Thanks
    Same rubbish. GM needs to toss the fleet sales and also the fleet engine V6. The car is just too heavy and the gearing is still too tall to compete. Or even be remotely enjoyable. The V8, though, is a good solid design. Gobs of power and the magnetic ride suspension is a massive improvement.

One feels great to drive. One feels like a cheap rental. A really stark difference, actually.
  • rivieraranchrivieraranch Member Posts: 28
    Last weekend I drove an '09 Lucerne 3.9 V-6 from an Enterprise rental. The car had only 4000 miles on the odometer and drove well. The 3.9 engine was another matter. It did not seem to have a lot of get up and go. It was also noisy. I am glad that I bought a Lucerne with the 4.6 liter Northstar. It is like driving a totally differnt car, as related directly above.
  • lane2lane2 Member Posts: 28
    I just purchased a 2007 CXL V8 with 40-40-20 front seats. So far I have found only one 12 volt outlet, in the ashtray area. The owners manual states that the bucket seat CXL has 2 more in the storage area of the console but I doesn't mention where any more are located on the seat configuration I have. Has anyone found any more outlets? Surely there is more than one.
  • kkrinnkkrinn Member Posts: 14
    On my 2006 Lucerne, the additional outlets are located in the front of the driver's seat, down by your ankle and in the very bottom of the console well.
  • lane2lane2 Member Posts: 28
    Thanks. I just checked and there is one in the same location. Thought I had checked everywhere. Don't know why it isn't mentioned in the owners manual.
  • cxsrobbcxsrobb Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my CPO CXS one month ago with 11,000 miles on it. Since then, I've been plagued with an over the road vibration/shimmy that's noticeable between 50 to 65 MPH. Four service visits and three sets of B/S Turanza El 400's later, I still have the vibration. The tires have been road force balanced and the dealer will not upgrade me to different rubber to completely rule out the (they are just crappy tires) factor. Several posts on Edmunds have noted the B/S Turanza as a difficult tire to balance and Discount Tire posts are inundated with bad customer reviews. It seems as though many others out there have had similar complaints about both a highway vibration/shimmy and a jelly like reverberation sensation that lingers after going over bumps. I've gone for test drives with my Tech and I never seem to get any type of definitive answer as to what the hell this is. Trying to think logically, tires and balance first, h/balancer or a pulley, c/v joint, rotor out of round, strut or suspension part, someone at the dealership has to have some sort of trouble shooting outline for this? Has anyone had their vibration problem pinpointed and resolved, so that I can go to my dealer with some sort of game plan? I've been in the limousine business for 26 years, and have several hundred thousand miles on K body DeVilles and never recall a vibration issue like I'm currently experiencing. The CXS was purchased to be my personal car, as I liked the looks of it over the STS or DTS, and very much liked the pricing structure on the CPO program. I'm beginning to regret my decision. I traded a 2000 Cartier Towncar that I had for eight trouble free years with 122,000 miles on it. It was my first Ford as a personal vehicle and it was a stellar automobile. My return to the General, has been far from that. So, if anyone can assist me in my unpleasant journey to right this Lucerne, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks! CXSROBB
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Will the dealer transfer a set of Michelins from another Lucerne for a temporary test drive on your car? Just bolt the other wheels on.

I thought there was a TPS for this problem after it surfaced in a few cars and seemed untreatable by the usual methods.

Has the car been perfectly aligned front and REAR wheels?
    Have the tires been Road Force balanced on the _perfect_ high sensitivity setting on the 9700? That's what my dealer did on my 03 LeSabre.

Try searching for vibration lucerne in the forums here on Edmunds... and the internet.

Start with this discussion on Edmunds:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f60b1/1

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• wayne55wayne55 Member Posts: 7
    I might be able to help you. I have an 06 Lucerne CXS with the V8 and 17" chrome wheels. Right from the get go, there was the same vibration that you are experiencing. After many alignments and road force balances, I bit the bullet and bought a set of Michelins. This helped a lot but did not get rid of the vibration completely. I was travelling through Arizona when my power seat quit, so I stopped at a dealer in Scottsdale to fix the seat and also asked if he knew about this vibration and he told me that they had complaints about it and they thought the fix was replacing one of the motor mounts. So they replaced one of the motor mounts and it fixed the problem 99%. Sorry, don't know what mount it was.
    Thanks a bunch for your reply. I contacted my service manager regarding my four visits and three sets of B/S Turanza EL 400's. He is meeting with the regional rep this week ans stated he will get approval on replacing the Bridgestones with a different brand. I was informed to request Michelin Primacy MXV 4's, a slightly more expensive tire. They rate out extremely well on all the tire sites and I've had nothing but success for over 25 years running Michelin's on all my vehicles. I've driven company Cadillac DeVilles with the same FWD setup and the Northstar V8 several hundred thousand miles, and have never experienced this speed sensitive highway vibration & shimmy. I do hope the tire swap to a superior product resolves the problem. If not, we'll have to start investigating motor mounts, suspension parts etc. I'm so thoroughly disgusted by this and the many stories emulating mine. My dealership in Tempe, AZ could not be any nicer or apologetic about the inconvenience, however it's time to cut to the chase and get this resolved. I'm 45 years old, and was looking for the same glorious, trouble free, tried and true service my 83 year old father has had with his many Buiks over the years. He's due to trade his 2005 Le Sabre in this year and my initial experience with this Lucerne has soured him on getting into one. Many of my clients have commented on how sharp my CXS looks, and then they get into it and shimmy down the road while watching their pant cuffs and coffee shake. In my little world, this is PR suicide for Buick as everyone comments on how they could not live with such a condition. Thanks again for your advice, and I'll be sure to journal my progress. CXSROBB
  • wayne55wayne55 Member Posts: 7
    That is the Michelin I bought. Great tire!
    Like it (cxl) got used to it on my winter trip to Florida, actually more comfortable than my Roadmaster, easy to drive and not tiring, millage good for a loaded car (27 over all) just hope it is more trouble free, time will tell.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Got a great deal on a leftover new Super ($31.7k out the door) when my '07 DTS was pulled ahead by GM. Ride has softened somewhat with break-in, but the Magnetic Ride Control is still firmer than in my DTS. Knew I would have to replace the standard Bridgestone tires in order to make the ride acceptable. Replaced tires with Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds (235/55/18) which adds about 1/2 inch to the tires diameter and about 1/4 inch to the car's ride height. The tires made a big difference when compared to the hard riding and noisy Bridgestones. The car, at 2,600 miles, gets about 18 mpg combined vs. 20 mpg with the DTS. This may be due to the performance tuning and the final drive ratio. Expect that a DTS Performance Edition would get the same mileage as the Super.

Favorite Features: MSRP about $13k cheaper than similarly equipped DTS. Same platform and factory as DTS. Quieter and smoother ride after switching tires, but DTS is still smoother and quieter. Rides much smoother than my '06 Q45. Seats almost as comfy as those in the DTS. Blind Spot Alert system. Low NVH levels.

Suggested Improvements: Dump the Bridgestones. DTS had three seals around each door; Lucerne has only one and one-half (exterior noise more hushed on DTS). DTS and Lucerne both need the Blind Zone alert system. Update both cars for the next decade. Improve fuel economy. A six-speed automatic would be nice. Use soft feel plastic on lower instrument panel like the DTS; the Lucerne has cheap feeling hard plastic there.
  • cjkcjk Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 06 Lucerne CX with about 21000 miles on it. After taking it on a road trip of about 650 miles I notice that there are times when one feels a mild vibration in the front end. The tires have obviously been rotated as directed, but there seems to be quite a bit of outside edge wear. And, when starting from a stop sign the engine sometimes coughs silently before powering up. We certainly enjoy the ride over the road, but notice the car is not as smooth over the bumps in the city compared to our 94 Le Sabre, nor is the gas mileage as good. We used to get 30+ mpg on our trips through Iowa (hilly) between Wisconsin and Nebraska with the Le Sabre, and now are lucky to get 27 with the Lucerne. Like the car otherwise, though.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Those old 3.8's got great mileage. Your new Lucerne weighs quite a bit more than the old LeSabre due to more content (safety and personal) and a stiffer structure (more metal).

You should get the car on a four wheel alignment rack. May have been in a minor accident causing some suspension misalignment.
    You should read this topic.
    Lucerne vibrations

You aren't clear as to the type of vibration you are sensing. There were some that are chassis/tire related and I assume that's what you're describing.

If you are saying it's tires or wheels...
    The original tires may not be that good at rolling round under load. They may have worn unevenly due to slight misalignment and not having been rotated at 8000 mi intervals, e.g.

You need to have a _good_ store or dealer do the alignment and put the settings spot on the recommended middle. You don't want the typical tire store saying "it's within the specs range, so it's okay."

You also want to have the tires and rims balanced on a Hunter 9700 Road Force balancer by a technician who knows how to troubleshoot GM vibration. The machines have settings and you want it balanced at the most sensitive setting. If the tires and wheels have more than 12 units (pounds of force) then you may feel it due to the light alloy metals used in the A-arms that move with the wheels and the stiff chassis.

The solution GM found in 2001 and on was that the tires weren't rolling round under load. One side crushes more than the other and the center of the wheel bounces up and down. This has been a known factor since at least 1977 for GM in smoothness of their cars. GM went to Michelin tires on the LeSabre/ Park Avenue, and various Cadillacs in that era because of out of round tires. They sent Michelins to replace tires that came on the cars to help fix the problem.

Another factor can be a motor/transmission mount. I believe that's in the other discussion linked above. Because you say the motor seems to cough when you first tip the throttle into it, I suspect the motor is moving and you're feeling the end of that movement when the mount hits a solid part or catches. Someone knowledgeable about fixing vibrations needs to look at the car. YOu might check around with different dealers to see who has some experienced technicians.

http://www.hunter.com
    http://hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm
    http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Read the info about wheel balancing with Road Force 9700 in these three links. The last one lets you find who has a 9700 in your area. Personally I'd check with a Buick dealer. Actually I'd put new Michelin tires on the car; I've only bought one set that wasn't Michelin in decades and that was a 77 Olds which had GM specification tires on it that were Goodyear. I was trading the car soon.

You might check on the warranty on the car if it transfers... Was it 4 years 48000 miles?

It's most likely bad tire tread pattern. My truck's Mud Terrains often wander and chatter when they hit certain types of pavement. Some all-season patterns are also very poor and cause similar problems.

This seems to also be backed up by the simple solution that most people have reported as solving it - namely, changing the crap OEM tires for something decent.
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    Has anyone noticed this? No obvious leaks and gas cap is on tight. It is noticeable sometimes when entering or exiting the car.
    Not normal. Is it under the 4 year warranty yet?

Could be a hose off somewhere. Could be a seep around a clamp on the hoses connecting the filler and the tank. Could be a fuel seep under the hood.
    Needs to be checked.

If you are able to crawl under the car and look in places such as the filler tube and the lines that run along the bottom of the car from the tank and fuel filter forward to the motor that's what needs to be done. Else take to dealer or trusted shop.

• kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    It's still under warranty and will be visiting the dealer ASAP. The dealer said no TSBs on it, so I was hoping that someone on this board might have a similar experience so I can relay info. to the dealer. They will probably run their hydrocarbon emissions tester over everything to find it. In the mean time, its parked outside. Thanks.
  • bajan1bajan1 Member Posts: 2
    The owner's manual for my 2009 Lucerne states that the oil life system will indicate when the oil should be changed, yet a service adviser at a GM dealership says that it should be changed every 3,000 to 5,000 miles and that the oil life system can be inaccurate. Do you follow the oil life system or the advice given to me? In other words, who should I believe--the manufacturer or the service adviser of one of its own dealerships?
  • bajan1bajan1 Member Posts: 2
    After a very long drive in my 2009 Buick Lucerne, which has 10,000 miles, it had a very loud humming noise from the trunk, the source of which was later identified as the fuel pump. Two mechanics listened to the humming, which by then was much quieter since it is much reduced in city driving, but both have no previous experience with this condition. One said that the fuel pump is a very powerful machine and that it's possible that when the tank is low on gas it makes more noise since it is no longer submerged in gas which would insulate the sound. My feeling is that it's not normal for it to be humming at all to begin with, much less when it's practically screeching, but the two guys have nothing to compare with, and so I'm left with this noise coming from the trunk. Does anyone know anything about this noise or have had experience like this?
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Follow the advice of the manufacturer/oil life system. The service adviser's advice is designed to drum up business for the dealership. Oh, and use synthetic oil, not mineral oil. The synthetic oil is better in every way except a marginal increase in price which is well worth it.
    Your car is under warranty. Have the service manager listen to the pump noise with a low tank if that's what it takes. If he doesn't agree there's something needing work, then ask for the dealership manager to ride with you. Do it before 12,000 miles.

I wonder if something is touching somewhere outside the tank and transmitting a normal vibration so it's amplified inside the usually quiet car.

Or the pump is going bad

Or the pump needs to be removed and checked--through the opening in the trunk that makes it a relatively easy job.

Warranty. And do it before 12,000 when they expect to take care of little things like alignment and balancing. Then after that they begin to feel those are owner problems from normal wear and tear.

• jimmy53jimmy53 Member Posts: 1
    I Bought a 2009 Buick Lucerne that had 7000 mi. on it
    after a few days I noticed a low rumble from the rear at
    about 58 to 65 mph and now at lower speeds. I took it back
    to the dealer and they put a complete new exhaust system on it.
    It seemed to help until I got it home. It's still there.They can't figure it out.
    It's more like a viberating rumble. thanks for any help Jim
  • waylanddonwaylanddon Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2008 Lucerne that has had the battery run-down problem. This happened after the car sat for 3 or 4 days. Had it back to the dealer 3 times. They could find nothing, but did install a new battery. Interesting that it was mentioned in another reply that the ONSTAR was the problem. I too am having onstar problems, which the dealer is yet to resolve. Guess I'd better print this off and take it to the dealer.
  • nugbanugba Member Posts: 3
  • willieb22willieb22 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 buick Lucerne CX with a fast left turn signal light and a left rear tail light that needs to be replace. How do I replace the tail light and is there a fuse or something that may be causing the fast left turn signal. thanks for your help.
    This is exactly what it is made to do. If you burn out a bulb, it causes the blinkers on that side to operate faster. (sensor detects the change in resistance from a burned out bulb and operates the blinker at 2x the normal speed)

There should be an access panel in the trunk. It uses standard automotive bulbs.
  • sgtdevlinusmcsgtdevlinusmc Member Posts: 13
    Jimmy you have been had just as I was. I bought an 07 Lucerne CXS (a demo) with 6000 miles on it. From the get go I noticed a vibrating/rumble at various speeds. I took it back to the dealer around 8 or 9 times. They rotated and balanced the wheels; didn't help. Took it back again and they did the same thing again; same result. Took it back again and they said the front rotors were out of round (aka=warped, so they turned them). Didn't fix problem. Took it back again and the dealer said one of the wheels was bent; they replaced it and still no fix. Took it back again and they road force balanced the tires and determined that I had two bad tires which they replaced. No good. Took it in and met with the GM factory rep who said it didn't vibrate that much. He said he had seen them much worsse and told me to turn up the radio - with a straight face. I told him I didn't listen to the radio as it was a disrtraction. Also, both of the front seat belts were defective as was the tire pressure monitor as was the fuel sender as was the window washer fluid ssensor.. When I got home, I parked the car in the drive and for some reason left it running and reved the engine a little at a time and when it got to 1500 rpms, the whole car vibrated. The problem is inside the engine, not in the suspension, etc. I took the car back again and the dealer had the engine and transmission lifted off of their mounts and had it "centered" back on the mounts. This did absolutely n othing for the problem. I brought it back again and this time the service people had a conference call with GM and the engine and transmission were lifted off their mounts and some of the mounts were replaced. Nothing. The car still vibrates whenever the engine is running at 1500 rpms. It is a manufacturing defect in the engine. I filed a lemon law suit. GM offered me $1600 to go away. WTF!! I had paid over $30,000 for the car just 9 months ago and they expect me to live with their crappo car. I told my lawyer that I wanted GM to buy back the car. I was told that they had never seen GM buy back a car with this typoe of problem. The lawyer went back to GM and they offered me $2600!! I don't know what is up with them but I told my lawyer that GM could stick their $2600. The minimum amount that I would even consider is $10,000. I could then use that with the miserable trade in value on this car to get into a Nissan or Honda. GM is a mess. This car which cost me over $30,000 last June is now only worth about $16,000 in trade. It has depreciated $14,000 in 9 months. And it only has 9000 miles on it and is loaded with every option available. It stickered at $42.000 when new. So much for good old GM products. I told the service manaager that all that I really wanted was for them to fix the car. He told me that he could not fix my car - period. And GM was not going to authorize any more attempts to correct the defect. Unbeleivable!!! Whatever happened to Mr. Goodwrench?? Where is he when I need my poor excusse for a car fixed?
    I didn't notice a problem. It vibrates that way because it's a V8 and probably needs a less restrictive exhaust. I don't drive at 1500rpm, ever, though. That's lugging the engine and isn't good for it.
    I have a 2006 CXS & would like to upgrade the headlights to an HID Xenon setup or at least a bulb upgrade to Sylvania Silverstars. It looks as though you can not replace any front end bulbs without dropping the front bumper clip (absolutely insane). If this is true, is there a shortcut or trick to accessing the front lights and is there a GM mechanic or lighting specialist out there that can direct or suggest a superior product and an appropriate route to take. I want lighting that is long lasting, trouble free, with an installation that is the least complicated and intrusive to the vehicle. Also, I'm in warranty to 2012 and want something that will not conflict with the wiring harness and cause any damage voiding the warranty. I'm in the Phoenix Metro area, so if anyone can recommend an auto lighting specialty shop or product, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! CXSROBB
  • bryangzbryangz Member Posts: 24
    To be honest, I hadn't been in the car market since 2008 and hadn't kept up things like engines, etc.

I ended up buying a 2009 Lucerne CX for my mom, with the 3.9 V-6.

Having the 3.5 DOHC in my 2000 Olds Intrigue, I thought this was also an DOHC because it was so smooth and had plenty of pep.

If you want a race car, then you want the V-8.

But the 3.9 V-6 in the car I bought is no slouch.

Mileage during the first tank of gas was 16.5 mpg. But considering that this was the first tank and my mom never drives more than 8 miles at a time....
    Well, here I sit boken hearted. I have just been asked to leave my dealer's service area by the owner of the dealership because I was "haranguing" his employees. What I was doing was asking for them to fix the vibration in my car - a 2007 Buick Lucerne CXS, no more and no less. Well, evidently I was way out of bounds with my request which was for them to get rid of the annoying vibration which occurs whenever the engine is doing 1500 rpms. Someone on this site said that this is lugging the engine. Well, just glance at your tach; you'll be surprised at just how often it is doing just that when driving. I also requested that they fix the tire pressure monitor which is dead in the water. Well, the owner the el presidente of the dealership in no uncertain terms told me to leave and that they would no longer work on my car. Gee, I wonder why they have a service department and why the car came wilth a warranty which the dealer is not honoring any more. He told me that he would set up an appointment for me at another dealership - my how kind of him. He should have ushered me out of the door when I got stuck with the car which he had driven for 6000 miles and that he knew darn well it was vibrating. His employees told me that he is a real nit picker so I know darn well that he had them trying to fix the vibration, but I guess that they couldn't then either. I accused him of covering up the defect in the car and he said he didn't care. I guess not; he already has my money. When I first arrived in the service area I was told by the service writer that he didn't think that they would work on my car because I had started a lemon law suit. I never knew that action allows the dealer to cease performing repair work on the car under the warranty. But, I guess all bets are off now with GM about to fall flat on their collective face. I never had this kind of problem with the dealer not being able to fix a problem and then just kicking the customer out of the dealership. But then, it is 2009 and all bets are off. At least I can enjoy watching GM crash and burn; they have brought this nightmare on themselves; it is just a shame that a lot of honest hard working people are being made to suffer as collateral damage from this debacle. Semper Fi
    In my current quest to unburden myself of this poor excuse of a car - the Vibrating Hulk of a Buick Lucerrne CXS (I wonder just what "CXS" means, hmmm??), I did a lot of auto research and testing. And, surprise, surprise, that new kid on the block (well, kind of) Hyundai has quite a nice car which rated an 8.3 in the Edmunds review versus the lowly 6.8 earned by the Buick Lucerne. I should have done my research a year ago ....Well, I think that I am going to TRADE UP FROM BUICK TO HYUNDAI!!! The Hyundai Azera Limited with the Ultimate package is head and shoulders above this Buick dionosaur - an old platform, with an old engine linked to an older transmission with halogen, yes halogen, headlights. I am surprise they don't still use kerosene lamps by golly. I have owned over 40 cars in my 73 years and I have to say that the worst of the lot is by far this %^%^%$% (excuse my language please) Buick Losecerne!!! I hope to unburden myself within the next day or so before its value drops any lower; it has already dropped $14,999 since last June. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Many of the dealers told me that I should get rid of the car before GM declares bankruptcy which they are definitely going to do in June - the one year anniversary of my dumb deal for which I blame myself - I should have known better. Whatever happened to "with age comes wisdom..." Duh on me. SemperFi P.S. If you see an 07 White Buick Lucerne CXS for sale with only 9000 miles on it, just keep walking....
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Make sure you thoroughly research and test drive the Azera before you trade. Azeras have a well known issue with their suspension. No company currently makes aftermarket struts/shocks for the Azera, so you are at the mercy of Hyundai if you experience issues. You could end up trading one problem for another of equal annoyance.

Also make sure you fully understand Hyundai's warranty. They like to tout their 5yr/60K mile standard warranty (and 10yr/10K mile powertrain), but NOT everything is covered during the 5y/60K miles. There are numerous components that are only covered 3/36, and even some that only have 1/12 coverage. If you are buying used, you will not receive the 10/100 powertrain. Second, and subsequent owners, are only entitled to a 5/60 powertrain warranty.

Resale value on Hyundai is no better than Buick. I just looked at a 2008 Azera Limited with only 7500 miles on it this past weekend (I had considered trading my '06 Impala). Price was $19K. Rumor has it the 2009 Azera will be the last year for the Azera. The Azera also uses halogen headlights. They may be projector beam units, but they are not HID's...just standard halogen bulbs. I found the Azera's interior to feel rather confining. The overall assembly quality and materials were not impressive. The center console creaked if I just touched it, and it felt very flimsy (and this was on a unit with only 7500 miles.) Leather quality was poor. Overall, it was a very disappointing experience. The interior was so unimpressive I never got around to actually driving the car. The dealer actually has 5 of these low mileage '08 Azera Limiteds on the lot and they have all been there for at least a month.

I have owned 10 cars in the past 20 years, 5 of which have been GM vehicles. I used to be a GM fan, but my experience with my current '06 Impala has driven me away from GM in the future. My Impala is 3 years old and has 41,000 miles on it. It was $21K when I bought it new, but now I would be lucky to get $7,000 on a trade. My Impala has been the most trouble-prone vehicle I have ever owned (water pump failure, power steering issues, brake issues, steering shaft issues, peeling trim, numerous interior squeaks and rattles, etc.)

I continue to look for a new vehicle, but it will not be a GM or a Hyundai.
    You bought the car used IIRC>

Have you checked to see who owned it initially and why they traded it?

I would suspect the dealer hid the existing problem from you. It may have been bought back as a lemon previously.

I'd find out what I had to do for a title check on the car, maybe an attorney that specializes.

Another dealer might be able to check based on VIN to see if it was defective and traded back in. Their VIN check would show service attempts on the car.

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    I would definitely go to another dealer w/ this problem. Our '04 Rainier had a slight vibration in it while turning at parking lot speeds. 3 TIMES to the selling dealer, and they couldn't find it. Finally, I got fed up, and replicated the problem in my driveway. It was the PS hoses vibrating. I brought it back with the newfound info, and told them. They said it was normal for the hoses to flex ( I said shudder). That's when I knew I was dealing with idiots.

I brought it to a competing dealer, told them about it, they put their best mechanic on it, and w/in 5 MINUTES they had found a TSB on the Steering rack. They had it taken care of in one trip !
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I am surprise they don't still use kerosene lamps by golly.

LOL. Good one.

I just popped in. This is the first I've heard of the Lucerne having problems. I read Consumer Reports religiously and they have it on their recommended list.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima