Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7

callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
A sexy newcomer to the Auto Show circuit, this should bear fruit late next year as a full-on crossover with RX-8/6sedan genes.

Hopefully, it gets better than Ford's venerable Duratec 3.0 under the hood.

DrFill

Comments

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    This and the Infiniti FX series would be the only SUVs I'd buy.

Well, this and a smaller one based on my lovely, wonderful, sainted Mazda3. :D
  • ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    I love the look of this thing. And I usually don't go for the SUV look.
  • andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    Definitely one of the better looking SUVs to hit the circuit in a long time. I hope it doesn't lose a single line in production. And I hope it gets the Duratec 35.
    Didn't get anything "oficially" new on this thing, but I DID get a little gossip that it'll probably come out as a 2007 or 2008 model, because response ot the concept has been so overwhelmingly positive. But likely it WON'T come with those tires (at least standard) or some of the other gadgets, and it sounds like they're trying to find an engine for it, other than the modified Duratec30. That MIGHT mean a Duratec35, or it might mean something else.

Oh and more gossip says it'll probably end up on the Mazda6 platform, just like everything else these days. ;) The 6 seems to be more successful as a platform generator than in raw sales sometimes. :D

Keep in mind this is all unofficial gossip, no official word from Mazda yet. They're keeping things tight, probably because so many decisions still have to be made regarding production components.
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    It is confirmed a year from now we will see them:
    link:
    http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102332
    "Lineup Addition: Long-rumored Mazda sport wagon to arrive in spring 2006"-Autoweek

That is great news, now for the speculation about drivetrain, pricing and such. Anyone see this at the autoshow close up and see the sizing, I did not get a chance to see the show at New York.

B.
    Yeah saw that also, so lets start the dicussions about features, powertrain and such.

Will we see hybrid...they are making a Tribute Hybrid. Or will it simply be just the V6 from the Mazda 6?

Price... I would imagine right around the Tribute pricing.

Anyone else got ideas, insider info?

B.
  • iminwoostahiminwoostah Member Posts: 4
    anyone find any info on pricing of this thing? will it have AWD or 4WD? I imagine if it's to compete with the Murano, it will at least have AWD. it's definitely on my list - hope it's in dealerships in time for winter!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    maybe winter next year.
    From the sound of things it'll be a unibody, which means AWD rather than 4WD. AWD would be more performance-oriented anyway, which is Mazda's whole deal. You can tell by the looks that it's NOT meant to be an off-roader. ;)

If it's AWD though, I'm hoping for a rear-bias.
  • tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Member Posts: 44
    Do you think they'll keep the four bucket seats? I hope it doesn't because that would take it off my list for sure and probably a lot of people that want a vehicle like this. In size what do you think this will compare to? Murano? Will it have decent cargo space? How soon will we know if they want this out in 2006? I would think pretty soon unless they are coming out in the middle or end of 2006? I had read spring I thought though.
  • frankydiggyfrankydiggy Member Posts: 2
    In my opinion, this car looks badazz. I can see where some are comparing it to the murano, however I think it holds much better promise for several reasons:

1. looks smaller in height. it will probably be slightly smaller all around and lighter than the murano and therefore get better gas mileage. as each week passes, mpg becomes a bigger concern for more and more people. i think $3/gallon is just around the corner. within 2 yrs.

2. looks much better than the murano. the cx-7 has a more square-off look. looks sportier. will probably appeal to more than just the soccer mom crowd. i'm a 26 yr old male, and i'd love to have this badboy parked in front of my house.

3. it should cost in the low 20s, as it is a mazda. they don't have enough market share or recognition among the average american to demand high prices. plus, the smaller stature than the tribute or murano naturally says the price will be still reasonable.

my most likely purchase in the near future is a mazda3 hatchback, however the cx-7 is a definite consideration in the next few years. this almost makes me want to put off the m3. and i've always been more of a toyota fan. go figure.
  • pzykofartpzykofart Member Posts: 46
    I love the styling of this car, especially the specs. Oh-so sweet!
    No way is a vehicle in this class going to have 4 bucket seats.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    5 seats, or a 2+2+2 configuration, ala Pacifica.
    I didn't think so either. Probably just for the shows! Not too practical for real life. I had an MX6 before and it was a nice car except for the fact I had to replace the tires constantly. I think it had damage done to it before I bought it although it was supposed to be new but had 103 miles or something. I love the color they used on the CX-7; it's real close to what I had on the MX6. I'm not sure I'll be able to wait on this one to become production before buying a new vehicle though.
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    Mazda announced in May that it will name their upcoming 2007 crossover vehicle CX-7, Nissan stated a few weeks later that its 2008 Infiniti entry level crossover vehicles will be called CX25 and CX35. I think this will cause some confusion in the general public. :confuse:
    http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/200505/0526e.html

Automotive News / July 04, 2005
    LOS ANGELES -- Infiniti dealers will get a new entry-level sport wagon.

Sources inside and outside the company say the vehicle will arrive in 2007 as a 2008 model. It will come in two versions, the CX25 and CX35.

Guido Vildozo, market analyst for Global Insight in Lexington, Mass., says the five-seat vehicle will be smaller than the Infiniti FX35 and FX45. It will come with a 2.5-liter inline four-cylinder engine or a 3.5-liter V-6 and be built on Nissan's FM platform.

He says the four-cylinder engine may get a supercharged performance version similar to the supercharged engine on the Nissan Sentra SE-R.

"It's an X3-type vehicle," he says, referring to BMW. "The FX may eventually grow in size."

The 2005 FX35 starts at $35,710 including shipping.

Another source says the company is considering a hybrid version of the new vehicle. Hybrids use gasoline engines and one or more electric motors to power the wheels.

Nissan North America Inc. will introduce its first hybrid, an Altima, next year as a 2007 model. Infiniti spokesman Bill Garlin would only say that the company is "always looking at new stuff and new possibilities."
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    brutus22: Price... I would imagine right around the Tribute pricing.

For what it's worth, my guess is above the Tribute. Starting in the mid to high 20s. Unless Mazda drops the Tribute there's no reason to have a direct competitor. I suspect it will compete with the Murano.
  • suvsbobsuvsbob Member Posts: 12
    While, if the message posted along with these two spy photos is true, I'll be really disappointed.
    http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/spy-photos/spy-photos-2007-mazda-cx7-111301.php
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Spy_Shots/Spy_Shots_07_Mazda_CX-7.S178.A8856.h- tml

I just found out the cx 7 last week. Really like its exterior and size. Nice, clean, sporty, very very attractive. So I started doing more research.

The message posted in the spy photo web saying Mazda is testing the car with Highlander, BMW X5, etc. That's totally not what I want. I want a nice compact suv with decent fuel mileage. I want the car stand out in the traffic, not blend in with another 1000 suvs on the road. I don't care if it can haul 7 passenger. I don't intend to use it like that. I want it to be aroudn $25K. Madza is testing the car with full-size suv. Plain, dumb wrong.

Beside, the car looks boxy now, just another minivan(Cross-uv?, can't find it). Where's my cute curvy lines alone the side?

Mazda, listen to me. Wake up. People looking cx 7 are not looking for another suv. They're looking for a cross-uv, just like the car you've shown in detroit. I love it , many people love it. Don't change the recipe for the production.
    I think the vehicle you see is the CX-7 platform with a different body on it. I don't think the real one will look like that. It's just a costume.
    I think it looks like the MPV body, because the rear passenger doors look like they would be sliding doors. Hopefully this is all it is because the look of the prototype is what got everyone revved up about it. It would be pretty stupid to change it.
  • perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    Yeah, don't worry too much about the body in that picture... the drivetrain is all they're testing. :-)
    Don't let the body fool you.....like perfectorc mentioned its a test mule to test things like drivetrain performance. This type of secret testing is very normal for a new model... When Land Rover was testing the new Land Rover it was spotted all over in an dressed up in Explorer body, causing quite a stir.
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    When I looked at the spy photo the first thing that came to me was that it looked like the mazda 5. That looked nothing like the vehicle that mazda has on their web site. My wife and I are considering the mazda 6 wagon but after seeing the CX 7 on mazda's site we might just wait.
  • perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    From past models they've brought to production from auto shows, like the Mazda5, Mazda has shown that they don't tend to change their designs much between the auto show and the production line.

Expect the CX-7 to look a lot like the prototype on the outside, with a bit more practical interior, when it arrives in 2007.
    Mazda is telling us the exterior of Concept CX-7 is 90% of the planned actual design....
  • typhoon33typhoon33 Member Posts: 3
    Just found out that it will have a 2.3L 4cyl Turbo motor and a 6 speed AT trans. Will be available in 2wd and 4wd
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    I had heard deep, dark rumours of the same thing. What's the source of your info, if you can say without being sent to Guantanamo Bay.
    Nothing new to this rumor....I posted in "does mazda have a future" back in April that the CX may have the 4 cyl turbo engine......of course everyone jumped on me and said that I was nuts.
    So are you essentially saying that it will have the same engine as the 2006 Mazda MAZDASPEED MAZDA6?

Edmunds lists this bad boy as:
    Horsepower: 274 hp
    Torque: 280 ft-lbs.

Pretty impressive, but will traditional SUV buyers scoff at it being a 4 cyl instead of a 6 cyl.

Any idea on weight, because once we have weight we should be able to get a fairly decent idea on performance.

B.
    I think it's a bit risky to use that engine...but hey, I give them credit for trying different things. Maybe that engine could help in the gas mileage area without giving up performance?...I suspect the target buyer will be more interested in engine performance over engine size. ;)
    Summary of the letter we got today from Mazda....

Interest and enthusiasm for the CX-7 has been growing ever since the MX-Crossport concept vehicle was unveiled in Detroit. The CX-7 is an exciting new combination of sports car personality, SUV utility, and distinctive Mazda flair. The CX-7 is a Mazda exclusive, built in Hiroshima, Japan, utilizing a Mazda-developed platform and engine. The platform takes engineering from both the Mazda6 and Mazda3. The engine is a 2.3 liter DISI (Direct Injection Spark Ignition) Turbo.

CX-7 production will start in February 2006. The first dealer allocation will run in November.

The addition of the CX-7 to the Mazda line-up is a critical step towards growing your business. The CX-7 is a fresh approach to the SUV market that customers have not seen before. It offers a combination of:

Performance - near sports car handling, braking, and acceleration
    Design – sophisticated sports car styling and craftsmanship inside and out
    Mazda’s Soul of a Sports Car – our unique brand DNA that means a one-of-a-kind vehicle and driving experience.
  • pep33pep33 Member Posts: 3
    Why such a long lead time between production start (Feb) and dealer allocation (Nov). Is this normal?
    That does seem a bit strange unless they are building for the Japanese or European marketplace first and supplying NA next.
    It's pretty common.....Once the orders come in they can get an exact idea of what they need to order from the suppliers... They also do alot of test runs during that time period.

They had similar lead times with the new Miata.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    November to pre order, January to build seems about right.

Actually, my interest is peaked because of the engine. Just have to figure out how big this thing is. Any dimensions known?

And, if they would just make it with the speed 6 6 speed stick, I might finally be interested in a Ute. Think of it as a tall 6 wagon MS version.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    Mike
    Also in from AutoWeek:
    "Mazda sources confirm the CX-7 will be powered by a 2.3-liter turbo gasoline direct injection and available in either two- or all-wheel drive."

So these pictures clearly indicate that this bad boy will mimic the show vehicle. I am actually excited about the engine considering where gas prices are going.

B.
  • mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    "I am actually excited about the engine considering where gas prices are going."

Yeah, all current indications are that we're probably looking at over $2.00 for at least the next year. Bluh. :(

It's funny though: this 2.3-liter I-4 has significantly more horsepower than my mother's 5.7-liter V8 Suburban (the latter does have more low-end torque). Impressive, Mazda... very impressive.

Mike
  • sleekasleeka Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone else disappointed that the rear doors are normal? One of the reasons I was interested in the CX7 was the suicide doors which make the car really sleek looking. Why do they have to drop this as they already have engineering in place with the RX8. I thought this thing was supposed to be more like a RX8 wagon. I hate that Mazda has dropped one of the features that would make this thing stand out in a crowded marketplace.
    Ok, now here are some great spy photos courtesy of a spy photographer sent into MPH Magazine of the CX-7, it looks pretty darn close to the concept, and I did not realize how steeply raked the front of the car and windshield is. This car looks to be awesome with a very futuristic look and usability to spare, I just hope the interior is just as sweet. Now if this just comes out more spring 2006 then the reported fall 2006 that would be awesome.

Here is the link to more of the photos:
    http://www.mphmagazineonline.com/web/spyphotos/009
    Also link to rear of car:
    http://www.mphmagazineonline.com/web/spyphotos/008

I am now officially convinced that manufacturers showing "concepts" are simply showing an extremely close aproximation of the production car.... they already have spent time making it a real car and not a shell when they release it to show the public as a "concept"....unless you are talking abuot some really wild ideas.

B.
  • tacoboytacoboy Member Posts: 25
    So, does anyone know for sure what the seating configuration for this will be?
    If it is 6 passenger then maybe it will be what the Mazda5 should have been,
    a sporty people mover WITH DECENT POWER.
    Mazda told us the CX-7 concept was 90% of the real body design...looks good so far.
    I'm really interested in the seat configuration myself plus the amount of cargo space it will have. I am trying to wait as long as possible to get a new vehicle because I'd like to get as much out of my current vehicle as possible. My first choice at this point is the B9 Tribeca because it has every standard safety feature plus very good mileage for an XUV plus pretty roomy. The back end of the CX7 doesn't appear quite as roomy as the Murano or Tribeca to me. What does everyone think? When are we going to get some dimensions on this thing? and gas mileage predictions?
  • almasyalmasy Member Posts: 5
    My guess from scaling the picture of the CX-7 from the Mazda web site as to the dimensions of the cargo area, ( assuming 18" wheels) would be 68" lg x 41" wide inside of wheel wells, and 30" high at opening of tailgate. With the 2.3-Liter DISI turbo engine,
    my guess would be for mileage to be around 19 mpg city and 24 highway.
    I agree that it doesn't appear as roomy as the Murano or Tribeca because the roof line tapers down toward the rear liftgate. I like the Tribeca as well and I'm not sure I want to
    wait another 18 months for the CX-7 to come out. I figure the CX-7 will go for $36k or so; right now you can get a Tribeca loaded for around $35k.
    The CX-7 goes into production in January. That means that dealers will probably see the first units on the ground 4-5 months later. You don't have to wait 18 months for one.

Having just driven the Mazdaspeed 6 today with the 2.3L DSI Turbo, hold on to your frickin' hat! Fast Fast Fast!
  • almasyalmasy Member Posts: 5
    So that means sometime in April or May of '06 the CX-7 will start to appear. I guess I'll have to keep my MPV another winter and have a brake job done and put on a new set of tires to make it through the winter. Oh well...

Glad you liked the new Mazdaspeed 6.... Now if they only use the same steering ratio 16.1:1 (nice turn in) and final drive ratio 3.611 on the CX-7, that would complete the deal for me. Going fast is great, but getting the gearing right will make it a real WINNER!
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    Another site has a photo of the 2007 Lincoln Aviator, and an article stating that the Aviator will be mechanically similar to the Mazda CX-7 and Ford Edge. Supposedly some Aviators will have V-6 powertrains.

How similar will they be?
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Prices will be steep!

Around $30k to start, $35k well-equipped.

Then the upcoming 3-row CX-9 is going for $38k?And it will replace the MPV. How are you gonna replace the MPV with a $38k vehicle?

I must've missed a meeting. When did Mazda become Toyota? :confuse:

People are not used to throwing $30-5k at Mazdas! They don't make a good minivan or truck. The Tribute ends at $26-7, transaction prices are well below that, so the CX-7 shouldn't start for more than that. It should stay 2-3k below the Murano. Especially with 4 cylinders!. And the CX-9 needs to be under $35k.

You can get an 8-pass Pilot for $30k! Let's calm down on the prices, please. :mad:

DrFill
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    "Then the upcoming 3-row CX-9 is going for $38k? And it will replace the MPV. How are you gonna replace the MPV with a $38k vehicle?"

The Edmunds article says that the new MPV won't be sold in the US, and that Mazda has hinted that it will be replaced by another vehicle. I don't see where anyone in the article said that the CX-9 is the replacement for the MPV.

If you'd seen the (then) Crossport at an auto show, you'd see that it has very little in common with the Pilot.