Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XIII

Comments

• gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    Dennyaddis - I had a '96 5.7 L - it was very common and known - three weak points on the truck, master cylinder, fuel pump, and alternator. Warranty replaced the first two when mine failed, I had to pay for the 3rd one out of my pocket. I only had to replace each once, but all 3 are weak points on the trucks.

dch0300 - I've not seen it myself, but I've read in a magazine and I believe someone already posted that the automatic transmission is becoming a standard item and won't have an add on charge. So go back and compare the base charge of the truck. If this is true, it is probably $900 higher.

Carmine Red - I have to admit - if I wasn't driving a Black truck, which of course is my favorite for best color then I think I might have gone for the Carmine myself. It is the perfect Aggie color - even though I'm an Okie living in Dallas you've got to support the Aggies - would you ever really want to be a Longhorn?

Plus Ryan you need to continue on the color thing. Honestly - take a look around the colors do say something about the personalities of the people driving them. It is proven that people that choose to drive red (not carmine) tend to drive faster and are pulled over more for speeding. It goes on from there.

Greg
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Bluebeast had tried that visor thing, and if I remember correctly was unsuccessful.

dch0300
    It would be unreal if it is the same problem in your '89 as in the '99. That would make Chevy sort of sentimental in keeping the same problem going for over 10 years...AND to tell you the truth, it wouldn't surprise me one bit..

Have a good weekend...
  • 750hill750hill Member Posts: 29
    When ordered truck had an agreed price
    but on bottom of quote sheet it notes
    that any price increase will be passed on.
    Three options went up as well as delivery
    charge. But when added up had a gap of $50
    to 75 when questioned - " remove plastic,
    wash, gas," My Vette will be here in 5 weeks
    have no agreed price (just MSRP) and one
    can only guest about add on's. Asked if
    would just back off truck and I'll take
    from there but doubt will let that happen!!
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    so what does Black mean?...we have a dark secret??

Visors,

I think it was determined that the Ado/Burb/tahoe all had different roof lines?

I don't think they work in a Silverado..

get the after market clip on extenders..

- Tim
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    I don't understand what all this talk is about buying from a dealer with a reputable service department. Where you buy it and where you have it serviced are not the same thing. I bought my 00 Silverado in Springfield which is about a two hour drive from here. I take my truck in for any service work, however, to the local Chevy dealer about 10 minutes from here. They never so much as blink. RYAN: I agree with you about all the prep and other fees. I bought my truck for $200.00 over dealer invoice with only the destination charge added on. Thanks to the internet, we all know exactly how much they paid for it and they know we know, believe me.

Buy your truck whereever you can swing the best deal and get it serviced there if you choose. If there's something you don't like, drive down the street.

TIM: I have always liked the color black, but it has never liked me. In my opinion, black paint is the prettiest color, but you had better have a good knowledge of detailing to keep it looking good. My last pickup was an '86 Ford F250 that was black and I never could keep that thing looking like it should and I had a few years experience restoring and showing my two show cars.

clay
    I don't understand what all this talk is about buying from a dealer with a reputable service department. Where you buy it and where you have it serviced are not the same thing. I bought my 00 Silverado in Springfield which is about a two hour drive from here. I take my truck in for any service work, however, to the local Chevy dealer about 10 minutes from here. They never so much as blink. RYAN: I agree with you about all the prep and other fees. I bought my truck for $200.00 over dealer invoice with only the destination charge added on. Thanks to the internet, we all know exactly how much they paid for it and they know we know, believe me.

Buy your truck whereever you can swing the best deal and get it serviced there if you choose. If there's something you don't like, drive down the street.

TIM: I have always liked the color black, but it has never liked me. In my opinion, black paint is the prettiest color, but you had better have a good knowledge of detailing to keep it looking good. My last pickup was an '86 Ford F250 that was black and I never could keep that thing looking like it should and I had a few years experience restoring and showing my two show cars.

clay
    Sorry about the double post. I screwed up!

clay
    around here you get better service (used to anyway) when going to the dealer you purchased it from..

what were your 2 show cars?

- Tim
    use the service dept you buy from...the others won't give you the time of day and will tell you so...can always call GM cust assist, but why have someone work on your truck who doesn't want to and tells you they don't want to...don't make no sense to me...they already have a hard time verifying problems...imagine if they really didn't want to find your problem...DUH!!
  • gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    Speaking for myself - I think the Black is for the very particular people. You know its going to take a lot of work to keep it clean and most usually do. And very dark secrets - well I won't reveal mine in here !!

Greg
    Your post 248 in topic 2799. I read the anonymous part first and was thinking, gee, only one person I know posts with anonymous and sure enough your name was on the bottom...LEMON LURDS...that's good....very good... ;)
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    so what if someone moves to your area? Are they out of luck for warranty work? Something's not right there...
    not right....but usually the other dealers "don't appreciate it" when you bring it in. A used car ....like more than 5 years old...they seem not to matter..(I guess the assume you are teh secong owner)...but new ones....They frown..(most dealers). I have had a friend have a dealer tell him.."where did you buy this car?".....he said at X dealer...."then why don't you take it there?"..

- Tim
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    ha ha those guys are out there are huh! they
    don't even know when their being laughed at.
    maybe that's why Ryan hangs out there. LOL
    on the annonymous thing though, i still can't
    figure out what causes that. maybe something to
    do with amount of memory in my system.

Gnipper, i agree with the speeding and color red,
    but since my last ticket which was in a green
    toyota tacoma and the fact that i spent part of a
    saturday in traffic school (BORING) i've learned
    to watch out for those RADAR flashing bandits a
    little better now. my color choice on my next
    truck will probably be indigo. current truck is
    red because my wife which btw is
    italian/portugeese loves bright colors and wanted
    me to have red. but hey, when your loved one says
    go ahead and buy the truck you want, color is
    something i'll give in on. funny though, when i
    bought her the new Alero she picks blue and says
    my truck would look good in blue also. this works
    out to my advantage though cause now it's gonna
    be ok to order that 2002.

...red
    If you are from out of state, the dealer "may" be more considerate. However, if you are from around our parts...I wouldn't even consider going to another dealer. It would be the dealer I bought it from or lemon law...so I make absolutely sure that the dealer's service dept. is top shape. I think for the most part, they really try to help. What is detrimental is that GM offers incentives to the dealers who keep their warranty costs down. And that makes for a lot of "can't verify" or "they all do that".

red
    good luck on that indigo Silverado...Your wife is Italian/Portugese...does that mean she has a temper?

Dean
    TIM: In 1986 I bought a 1959 Corvette that was a basket case but all there. Original 283, Carter Carb, Correct Trans, everything original. I did a frame-off restoration on her and started showing it two years later. It was a driver so I would say it was probably a number "2" car. I still took lots of trophies and had a lot of fun with her for several years going to the shows and meeting a lot of great people. She is sitting in my garage as we speak. In 1991 I bought --actuall traded a 1955 2 door Belair hardtop--to a guy for a 1967 Firebird 400 RamAir Convertible. At the time I didn't realize how rare that car was due to the RamAir, 4 speed and Raley Pack for a first year Firebird. It was a completely original car as well as I spent days running all the numbers and build dates AND I found the original build sheet under the seat! I finished the restoration on that one and that one became my favorite and I
    showed it up and down the west coast. It was a beauty, I painted her the original color she came from the factory (burgandy) with white interior.

Just before we moved to Missouri last year, I knew one of them had to go, so I sold the Firebird to a friend I had met at some shows. He had two other Firebirds (but he never once beat me) and I knew he would keep it in show condition. I gave him a really good deal.

I kept the 'vet because it was sorta like my first "love"...I dunno, I sure do miss the Firebird.

WARRANTIES: I have never, ever, had a Service Department question me on whether I had purchased
    a vehicle there prior to them helping me. I have bought lot's of new vehicles over the years and have taken them to the closest dealer for any warranty work regardless of where I actually purchased it. Just last fall I had a Town and Country where the paint on both the front and rear covers bubbled. The local Chrysler dealer repainted it without any questions at all and we had just moved here from the west coast. At least that has been my experience.

clay
    I said about being from out of town. Next time try the dealer next door that you didn't buy from...
    you bet she does. it's like anything else in life
    though, you learn not to go there. LOL
    BTW i now go to my dealers competitor for service
    and have been greeted with open arms. when i buy
    the 2002 i will gladly pay a little more if i
    have too. it'll be worth it just to be part of
    there happy family. found out that your actually
    treared like a human no matter where you bought
    your truck. the shop foreman can see, hear, and
    feel, unlike the foreman i had the discomfort of
    dealing with where i originally bought the truck.
    also the dealer that ordered my truck (twice) is
    still sitting on the first truck (going on 5
    months). ha ha

...red
    Read again my post #210 and that is exactly what I have done on several occassions. Never a question.

clay
    sound like nice cars

- Tim
  • sinister1sinister1 Member Posts: 8
    My hitchplug is polished aluminum. It must have been the way the sun was shining on it that made it look like it might be gold. I, too, had to laugh when I saw the handicapped parking sign in the background. The pictures were taken on the weekend at our daycare parking lot (we aren't open then) and I even commented to my wife that someone else would surely find some humor in that.
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Thanks for the info Obyone and Tim,kinda figured it would not work due to the spacing of the anchor points.

Looks like Vent Shades for now and wrap-around glasses next eyeball check-up.

Ryan, have you got your tail light guards yet?

Jerry
    Dairy Queen drooling over some ckickeee..

makin'a mess all over the parking lot..

hehehheee

- Tim
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Tim, you mentioned clip on extenders. I've never seen anything like that on the market, only the flip down add-ons that make the visor lower, not longer. Do you know of any extenders?

BTW the oil filters are not PF59, they are UPF59. The Gold series with synthetic filter media. That's why so much $.
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Just so he don't drool all over that Zainoed Z71!

Ah yes, I fondly remember the old days! My Z back then was just a 70 Z/28. Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Guys i was at work the past 2 days i was busy hauling stuff today after work too. My gf is in southern indiana at a softball tourney so i have some time to myself. Havent zainoed yet only half the hood. Gonna go wash my truck and wax tomorrow morning.

Ryan
    Well i washed my truck and as we speak the wax is drying. I only did the rear end for tonight ill do the rest of the truck tomorrow.

3400 mls and the truck is great

Ryan
    while I have not bought them yet (or probably won't either)....I am pretty sure I have seen the extenders to make them longer..

lemme take a looksee again...

- Tim
    just got back from an awesome cruise night. They had a burnout contest (talk about smoke)...and a Flame throwing contest...(should have brought the digital camera!)

They had a Bus that had tailpipes the size of buckets!...that puppy would get the flames going almost to the top of the bus!

I've been wanting to do the flame throwers for some time...but need the right car..

A guy had a 54 chevy Panel Van that had metal Dragon heads with the mouth open as the exhaust...and duh..it blew fire.

Another thing an Import won't be found at..

ahhhh

good old America!

- Tim
  • odenmeyerodenmeyer Member Posts: 61
    I'm having an auto body shop remove the pewter flares from my '00 truck (4800 miles) this week. They are still in mint condition. What do you guys think the fair market value for these flares would be? Thanks

Mark
    If you knew today about both dealer's service department. And the dealer that you are satisfied with their service department gave you a deal that was $500 more than the dealer you had previously bought from. Would you still purchase through the dealer that services your truck now or would you go back to the dealer with the lousy service department to save $500?

Another question: If the dealer that services your truck now, found out in 2002 that you bought another truck from the previous dealer, do you think you would receive the same kind of service you are receiving now? Just curious...
    you'd be surprised at what people today would do for that $500. Sorry to hear about your wife, hope everything's ok...
    ..Better ask the flare king "Cryin'Babblin' Ryan!"

hehehehe

..actually he has no Idea.....but I had to say that..

- Tim
    I've taken the vet to a couple around here but with the heat index now around 100, it's way too hot for her. For some reason she has always run a little hot, don't know why. I've put in about three or four different themostats and it doesn't help. Might be the water pump, but I can't replace it, I would have to get this one rebuilt again as it is the original. Oh well, it's always something.

Ryan: Whadda you mean your waiting for the wax to dry?

clay
    IT says to let it sit (zaino) for 30 min (longer here because of humidity gotta wait forever). I finished and the truck looks better than the day i picked it up from the dealership.

Flares: It was a $180 option
    4800 mls hmm lets say you plan on keeping it for 100,000 mls so thats about five percent of the trucks like. Id personally say anywhere from $100-$150. Id go no lower than $100 or 125.

Ryan
    Life not like

Ryan

Oh yea i finished the waxing and guess what its gonna rain now dammit!!!
    sorry...thought you were talking about overnight.

clay
    But it says you can leave it on overnight to full take effect

I left it on about an hr and 15 min and a few spots still werent dry
    looks great now
    Ryan
    saw a '01 ext. cab in the new orange today, and
    it did'nt look bad not bad at all. as a matter of
    fact it has a rather deep and rich look to it. a
    little pinstriping and Zaino and it'll be a
    knockout.

Ryan, does your truck have any of those hair line
    scratches yet, you know the ones refered to as
    spidering? unavoidable after so many washes.
    anyway did the zaino make a difference?

...red
    2 Orange Silverados..both were a blur going by....have seen several Burbs...but still waiting to see an Ado standing still

What's Cryin' bablin' Ryan's tale on Sunset Orange?

LOL
    - Tim
    Tim havent seen it yet.

Red- yea i have those little annoying scratches but you know what they dont bug me to much. Zaino didnt help that much because i only have the show car polish for clear coat. Today i oredered the scartch and polish remover so hopefully itll help a little more. From about 2 ft and farther truck looks fantastic but in the light you can see minor and i mean minor scratches. Oh well i can live with it

Ryan
    why didn't you order the Z5 for scratches and the Z6 used between washings and polishings. You really should do the Dawn and clay before the Z1, Z5. Will remove any previous wax that the dealer, autobody shop may have left on the truck which will reduce the overall effect of the Zaino products. What you have now is not the maximum reflectivity of Zaino. Want to see a Zaino shine? you gotta do the deed as described on their website by Sal...Just my $.02.
    about 90 miles...for us who live on an island, believe me 90 miles is long. Had the truck crusin at 55 and listened to the cab resonance from my Gibson catback. Also felt the impact vibrations in the steering wheel when going over bumps. So I decided to move the mph up to rid the cab of the resonance and sure enough at 65 resonance gone. However, hitting the bumps on the freeway shook the steering wheel like a bat outa hell. So now I had to decide, steering wheel or resonance. So I took the truck up to 100+ (buried the needle) and now no resonance and steering wheel over bumps not to bad....BUT the damn wind noise....What to do....somehow, sometimes...ya just can't win...

And how was your weekend???
  • ekammererekammerer Member Posts: 5
    I know a lot of folks posting here have this option, I'm just curious exactly what it is. Since its only $25 or so, I'm guessing it is just a different filter element (resusable, like K&N??), but I was just curious if anyone can tell me what you get with this option.
    n/m
  • ekammererekammerer Member Posts: 5
    Bigger in terms of surface area (wider and longer), thicker? Does it change the size of the filter box? I guess where I'm going with this is that, at maintenance time, will I have to go to GM for a replacement filter for the high-capacity system? Or is it something that Purolator, Wix, and the like carry as well?

I'm trying to decide if I want the high-cap., or just get the regular and swap in K&N.
  • jimtncjimtnc Member Posts: 36
    have been on vacation and just got back. I noticed the scratches on the way back home. They didn't disturb the paint, but gouged the clear coat pretty good. Does anybody have a possible remedy for this mess. I'm hesitant about trying just anything.
    Anyway, this truck is a pleasure to drive on the open road. You just don't appreciate the handling when it's stop-and-go traffic.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Flares that have been removed will no longer have the mounting tape to attach them the truck. The barbed fittings to attach them are gone or broken.

I would think the value would be somewhere between $0-50. The high side if they are the color you want. Personally, I would rather pay the $200 or so for new flares that you could mount and included all the parts. At least for a new truck.

Mike L
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I pulled the Bilstiens off after 3000 miles and put the Z71 shocks back on. I bought a 2500 and an selling the 1500 they were on.

$125 for the set of 4 in excellent condition.

MLedtje@thermoquest.com

Mike L
    New flares from the parts dept are outrageous. Anywhere from $400-700. Some people would be willing to buy them used.

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.