Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• dennisfrancisdennisfrancis Member Posts: 2
    First time Ford owner, 51 years old. Have owned a lot of cars. Didn't do any research before buying. I've had a rag top for the last 25 yrs. My '05 was goin in for it's first oil change on 1/5. As I drove down a two lane highway the top dislodged and blew straight up in the air. I was doin roughly 60 - 65 mph. Lost my sunglasses, hat, and five bills that were sitting on the passenger seat. Had to cancel the checks, $140. Found my glasses and hat. Couldn't get the top back on closed, so I pushed it as far down as I could and babied the car to the dealer. Service guy and his boss walked around and shook their heads. Then I got what I expected to hear. "In all my years...." I stopped them dead in mid sentence and told them my history with convertables and that there was no posible way the top was not secured right. First of all I had driven approx. 15 miles before it blew. I'm sure I would have seen or heard something that would have tipped me off it wasn't seated right. When I purchased the vehicle, it was sitting in the dealership with the top down. It's the Mineral Grey, it didn't have any decals on it, which I liked, all the emblems were off, except the trunk badge, the front grills were replaced with Billet Grills, and the wheels were chromed. I bought it without a test drive, having drove one a few days before at a different dealership. When I was having the car offically delivered to me a few hours later, I noticed the rear window was unfinished. I brought it to their attention. Their scratched around the window, I laughed. They said it would be taken care of, I told them, That can't be fixed, it needs a new top. I was right. It also needed to be detailed. There was some kind of overspray on the hood and drivers side, little dots of something. The top was replaced, they didn't get all the dots off. The inside of the car was never cleaned right and I have to admit, it never had a real new car feel to me, but, I have to admit, I'm a little anal when it comes to cars. I usually wash it everyday if needed. Before the top blew off I was thinking I had to tell them about the clicking noise in the front right, A/C? and it sounded like the Cat Convertor was going bad. Well, here's what I initially heard. No rental, Ford doesn't give a rental unless you purchase an extended warranty. Huh? I trade about every 2 yrs. Why would I want an extended warranty? If my Vette had to be kept over night, they tried to get me another Vette, or something better. Then the old driver error thing. Eventually on 1/6 they saw it my way, after five or six calls to different people, I got a rental at 6 p.m., they will replace the top and frame, which is made special from the vin # of each model, so they will have to locate the blueprints of my car. The cat is bad and they will look for the clicking noise. I believe the dealership was only doing what it could do, finally paying for the rental themselves since Ford refused to treat a customer right. My family bought seven cars at this dealership this past year, they own 11 dealerships around the valley. I deal with one saleman for all our cars. So did I get some extra treatment? Yes, I would think, and rightfully so. I feel sorry for the customer with "no juice" when he or she faces a huge problem like this. I bought this car because I needed a back seat for the first time in many years. I wanted a car that looked good, which it does, and was a ragtop, which it is. I bought the V6 because fuel was $3 a gal. when I was looking, and don't need the 400 hp anymore. I am not impressed with Ford at all. I believe there is a problem with these tops, I will probably trade this car soon after getting it back, since my confidence level is now low. The Firestone Tire fiasco started with one blowout, one rollover, again involving a Ford product. I don't post ever, anywhere. I believe '05 Mustang owners should be aware of this issue. Sorry for the length of the post.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    This is data from Edmund's, which has the JD Powers
    historic data. Note that Mechanical Quality is better in '04
    and Feature and Accessory Quality is also better than '05
    Overall the scores are higher, unless you weigh in mechanical as most crucial element. 2004 would be my bet for the best year of the Stang for reliability.
    ___

J.D. Power Overall 4
    J.D. Power Mechanical Quality 5
    J.D. Power Body & Interior Quality 2
    J.D. Power Feature and Accessory Quality 5
    J.D. Power Performance 3
    J.D. Power Creature Comforts 2
    J.D. Power Style 4

Not say that the car in 2005 is not improved in performance, and all that good stuff, but if I am looking at the basics of will the car have problems, or be easier to live with down the road, stats seem to favor the old model.
    I fully understand all the new selling points, but I am still not 100% sold on new vs. previous. Seems to me like I still like some of the old styling too. Both have their points, I guess. I do like the '68 and '69 as classics. -Loren
  • sweetmustang05sweetmustang05 Member Posts: 8
    Hey I took my mustang gt into the dealer finally to get fixed during new years to get the front popping clunking noise it made going into driveways , and the green lights that didn't light up on the radio during night time , the first problem was the clunking noise they said it was 30 steering/suspension repairs 198 w94 performed inspection and found front sway bar links loose tightened sway bar and links retest all ok at this time ,second was the lights on the buttons not lighting up at night time they said 100 electrical repairs 104 w94 found wiring connection at radio connection not secure resucued wiring and lights on radio work , that was the problems but i think they forgot to resucured them when they put in my new radio the second time its all ok but i know that was the problem, I appreciate all of your concerns and answers to what we all thought it was so hopefully we keep helping each other out on our new mustangs :D thanks again have a happy new year all of you .
  • vppreachervppreacher Member Posts: 72
    It seems the V6 Mustang has significantly more problems than the GTs. Consumer Reports shows the 2005 V6 ranked poor overall. The problem areas are listed as brakes, paint/trim/rust, body integrity, and body hardware. The GT on the other hand is one of their recommended Sporty Cars. In fact, it has the same overall good reliability as their editor's choice, Nissan's 350Z.
    It seems the V6 Mustang has significantly more problems than the GTs. Consumer Reports shows the 2005 V6 ranked poor overall. The problem areas are listed as brakes, paint/trim/rust, body integrity, and body hardware. The GT on the other hand is one of their recommended Sporty Cars. In fact, it has the same overall good reliability as their editor's choice, Nissan's 350Z.
    ~~ end quote ~~
    Hummmmmm, more strange statistics from Consumer Reports customers. I could see the engine as a big difference, but not the rest of the car. Maybe it is the tale of two different owners - the GT owners being more fanatics??? I only know of one owner, and he has had no problems with his GT. My guess is that there is likely people having problems with any new car, be it the V6 or V8 Mustang, or a Chrysler 300, or a.... As for the Nissan 350Z, the first year or so, they had terrible problems with the tire wear. That strange high doors, and closed in feeling ain't for me. On the outside, it looks good. Wouldn't own one. Rather have a Stang, new or past model, a 2007 Camaro or Challenger. The 300ZX, back in 1995 was cool though.

Loren
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Why is it that people who rant never use paragraphs?"

Uncanny, isn't it?

Why is it so hard to break up a long rambling post into 2-3 separate paragraphs? Makes them much easier to read.....
  • vppreachervppreacher Member Posts: 72
    You bring up an interesting and cogent point. The person who buys a GT is probably very different from someone who buys a V6. I'm generalizing, but I imagine someone who purchases a GT values performance over cost and ride comfort. I was willing to wait for over 2 months to get what a Mustang meant to me. I only drove the V6 before I ordered. While it's acceleration and handling were okay, it feels like a different automobile from my GT. It's great Ford has come out with the GT500 and the Pony Package so now there are options to satisfy lots of tastes.

Speaking from my personal experience, I've only had my driver seat lever break and twice problems with fueling.
  • smeadows1978smeadows1978 Member Posts: 10
    Hi All,

I have an '05 automatic, purchased in Feb. 2005 (built in Dec. 2004). I have the same shudder issue, but its most prominent after long runs at high speeds (i.e., driving from Virginia to Pennsylvania on the interstate). After stopping the car after long runs and then hitting the gas nothing happens . . . until the car shudders and then off I go. I've had it to the dealer twice and since they can't "replicate" what I'm talking about they don't know what to do. Has anyone figured out what the issue is? Many thanks!

-Sarah
  • erica89erica89 Member Posts: 1
    My 05 mustang is a manual and it recently has done this thing where it acts like its not all the way in gear and my RPMs go really high. It starts to smell horrible like a burning. This has happened 3 times and the 3rd time it started smoking out of my vents. The AAA guy said my clutch isn't burned out, so i don't know what is wrong with my car. Has anyone else had this problem, or know what is wrong?
  • bandolerabandolera Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem when the vent is turned for floor only...it blows more air to the windshield. But right now thats the least of my worry...

In Dec. I drove my new mustang GT convertible (5 speed manual)to a Christmas dinner 3 hours from my home. Loving the car all the way there, and proud to show it off, esp. to my dad who is a diehard American made only car fanatic...(foreign cars to him are off-brand)

He drove the car just 1/2 mile down road and the first words out of his mouth to me were "you better get that transmission checked" I was in denial and didn't listen.

Until today...the transmission is making a pretty obvious whining sound in 4th gear, and a knocking noise at times. It's a very noisy transmission. The Ford dealership kept the car for a day to test drive it and told me that it was making several noises and probably needed a transmission. They referred me back to the dealer I purchased the car from (brand new) and I have an appointment for them to check the car out on Monday Jan 16th.

Needless to say, I'm sick over it. I'm hoping for a completely new transmission, since it is a new car with only 4500 miles on it. I've treated the car like a baby and keep it garaged. It's my second car and I don't even drive it to work everyday.

I was so excited for the new mustang and love the looks of the car. I think its the best thing Ford has done since the 65 model. I just hope these problems are just a small handful and that Ford is responsible enough to make them right. I paid 32,000.00 for the 05 GT convertible and I want my money's worth!!!
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Hmm... Sounds like dear ol' Dad did a neutral drop down the road. ;) Did you check for rubber flakes in the rear wheel well? :surprise: :blush:
  • christopher3christopher3 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the laugh i really needed one after buying a 05 v6 they say beauty is skin deep this is true car is beautiful but very poor mechanically thats probly why you see them on e bay at greatly reduced prices with low miles!
  • stpstarnstpstarn Member Posts: 9
    :sick: I started feeling sick when I began reading this forum, I guess I was hoping I just bought the only Mustang with problems. I traded in a very nice Sebring Limited Convertible for my Mustang, I new what I was getting into buying a Ford, but I figured it was new and of course there would be a warranty to fix anything bad that might happen. So I bought a V6, Black with the exterior package, I am a mother of 4 so I didn't need the extra horses. My first problem was the paint, I could not wash my car without it looking worse, after sending it back three times, its still not perfect and has some water marks that wont come off, but I hide them well with top of the line wax.
    Second problem was the CD changer, it was draining the battery, it kept switching over even when the car was off, no problems changing that out, but it also went in for the convertible top, it would go up and down at an angle, so they put a new frame on it, of course that was backordered and it went back three times before they could get it right.
    Third, or should I say fourth, that popping noise in the steering, mine had that, I forget what it was, but those were replaced and again backordered.
    Fifth, and currently, the gas problem, I thought I was going crazy trying to put gas in this thing!! Well the tank is ordered and is set to come in on Thursday, I am sure it will be much later though.
    Don't get me wrong, I love this car!! I baby it to death, I have had it almost a year now and have only 4500 miles on it and have added some accessories, including a under carriage light kit, but this is sooo wrong!! and so unfair!! I expected problems beings I was buying a new design but geez, when does it end??
    I could gripe more about the quality of the interior but you get my point. I do plan on writing Ford Motor Company, but I am sure they will just laugh at me, but it will make me feel better.
    Thanks for listening!
    Cathy
  • 1057ken1057ken Member Posts: 1
    I also have the problem and refuelling a Sherman tank on empty would be quicker!

Problem is I bought the car in Mass. and had it shipped to the UK so Ford won't honor any warranty (I've taken out an expensive UK-based warranty)

Appears a new tank might be required so it will be interesting to see how I do this. Have contacted the selling dealer in Stoneham but don't hold out much hope. This is an obvious design defect which really should n't have happened and has detracted from what has so far been a great car (V8 GT Manual)

Oh, it also clonks at the front when driving slowly, for example in car parks or when backing off the drive.

Car is very well received in the UK where Ford Dealers don't even sell this car even on special order. (They'd rather you paid $30,000 for their sporty Ford Focus)
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Break in is a thing of the past. New engines are "run-in" at the factory, however I agree with the slow seating of brakes as they just work better and longer that way. Now on the test drive, the thing to do is "drive it like you stole it". Especially past the service department so they'll know when to expect you back. You did order locking rear didn't you? Longest pair of burn out marks on the dealers lot gets you a big discount.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• klavitolaklavitola Member Posts: 4
    I have a windveil blue 2005 V6 premium Mustang bought 2/16/2005 built in Nov 2004. I live in NJ and havent modified anything except added a spoiler. I havent fixed any of the problems yet. I have 8,000 miles on the car. It is automatic.

Here is everything that is wrong with my car:

1 - Makes front end clunck when turning.
    2 - gas tank problem
    3 - radio resets itself when car sits for 48 hours without running and it is below freezing. Also, the volume gets stuck on HIGH and wont turn off or down (I almost went deaf)
    4 - driver's side handle sticks out and wont go flush
    5 - had one broken windshield (just a little pebble hit it) and a front tire blow out on the NJ parkway within one week of each other ($350 for the windshield from safelite auto glass and the tire is the same as a dodge caravan so it was cheap - 65$ installed.
    6 - Air vent - foot/floor position doesnt work - it blows air out of the defrost instead and makes my windows fog up.
    7 - When it's cold out - I cant put the emergency break on - it freezes and the car burns rubber when I drive.
    8 - when its cold out the windows - you know how it goes down an inch and up an inch when you open and close the doors - well, they freeze in position and then when you close the door, the rubber freezes and the door/window isnt flush and doesnt close properly.
    9 - there is water that stays in the foot well inside the door and only on the driver's side.
    10 - if its humid out, the car make a sound when idling - it kindo of revvs or rumbles and sounds horrible at stoplights.

I just cant bring myself to bring it in for service - I cant part with my car for one minute. I love it - and the problems are a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] - but so is parking it zimbabwe when shopping and walking for a mile to shop just so I dont get a door ding. I love my car and dont want any one, any valet, my husband, or especially a mechanic to touch it ! Does anyone else feel the same and have all of the same problems?? :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :)
  • klavitolaklavitola Member Posts: 4
    same thing happens to me. and they dont have a fix yet. :lemon:
  • tko211tko211 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2006 V6 pony package Mustang with 5000 miles so far (you can tell I like to drive this car). I have been fortunate enough to only have one problem so far and it turned out to be very minor.

I had a brake brace that was installed incorrectly, it would rub a little on the drive line as pressure would be put on the frame. 2 minutes with the service department and a socket wrench has fixed the problem.

My CD changer does skip just a tiny bit. My understanding is that you have to be gentle with these units.

So far I have been very pleased with my purchase and so for it seems that the 06 cars have far fewer problems than the 05's. But going from my Honda Accord which ran for 200,000 miles with no problems, I took no gamble and opted for the extended warranty
    If it has any major trouble outside of the 65,000 well we will just wait and see...
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Speaking of Honda, I had more than a few problems with my last one, a fully-loaded EX coupe: power window malfunction (door still rattles), squeaking noise the dealer couldn't fix, heater control breaking (required 2 visits to replace a simple cable -- and it broke again!), wind noise through the drivers door, and a 1/2 inch step-off between the body and driver's door. The car has less than 65k miles, but has had a new generator (and battery), not to mention the timing belt change mandatory for all Honda's, a huge expense. Even though the car is always garaged, the paint is fading. I can tell a clutch job ain't far away, too.
  • cobragtcobragt Member Posts: 95
    Hi,

I have the exact same problem. Have you heard any news!!!??? I've been looking all over for someone else with this problem. Please contact. Me.
    Sorry, let me make that a little more clear.
    I too have been having the same vibrations. A long time friend of mine who has owned and raced mustangs all his life said that he at one time had at similar problem, to which the solution was a loose alternator housing. Once replaced, it was fine. Apparantly the frequency produced at certain RPMS caused it to chatter, or rattle.
    Anyway, I need help. Has anyone found the answer to that problem yet.

Also, it can't be due to the exhaust, or the rear, I have a JBA exhaust, and 4:10 gears, and I still have the same problem.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is looking to speak with a new Mustang owner who was a fan of the 1960s era Mustang but not the 1980s or 1990s era Mustangs. Please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, January 24, 2005 containing your daytime contact information and a few words about how you feel about the new Mustang.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Interesting indeed, how people view these and other cars. I owned an '85, and the '65. Shape wise, similar cars. Good simple, minimalist look to them. The 1994 thru. 1998 to me is perhaps the best overall design, though many prefer the 1999 to 2004 as it has a more edgy and somewhat meaner look about it. Well the 65' to 68' change added some more aggressive lines as well. Then, as now the 69' into early 70's ushered in the larger cars. The 2005 is sort of combo of the 68' inside and 68' + 69' outside. Not bad, but then again, it is kinda old to me since I am over 50. So far to date the best in reliability seems to go to the 2002 to 2004 model year. While I am not the biggest fan of those door sills getting higher, and the flat sides, the other styling details are interesting. Yes, even the fake stuff, like hood scoops and such. Right now, I would consider the '95 Stang as the last year of the 5.0 engine, the '98 last year of smooth rounded design, or the '04 which was the more edgy, a bit stiffer body, and more HP, and modern day Stang. I may, somewhere down the road, consider the current day one too. Not bad at all, with so many improvements in handling and such. That said, I expect them to add a little more zing and modern day styling as the next wave of pony wars begin. The New Stang front looks a bit sad or droopy, while it also sticks out it's tongue at you. I see the new Camaro and Challenger fronts are done a bit better.

The New Stang is a good buy, and overall pleasing enough to look at. Call me crazy, but I like the old style rounded dash and interior, and the direction of going forward with new styles. If you want a modern day version of the 60' car, like a restored, then updated suspension and such, the new Challenger looks to be that as well. If I was head at Ford, I would have some fairly radical styling updates to come out in a year or two. This would keep the momentum up and Chevy and Dodge off balance. You can stay too retro, and go nowhere. The new SLK has some retro style, while looking modern.

The steps taken from '65 to '85 seem to be represent the era, though we won't talk about the Pinto era. The '85 to '95 say looks like a modern rendition of the Pony. 2005, is one giant leap back in time. Almost like a time warp to see this car, though it looks kinda plain since I am familiar with the real ones of '69 and '69. While I do like the '69 Corvette, I am happy to see they are progressing into new eras in designs inside and out. The C5 introduced an even easier car to live with, while at the same time, giving yet another new look to Vettes.

I no longer own any bell bottom pants, though I do like Frisbees!

Have fun, and may you stay forever young!
    :shades: Loren
  • kaihenrykaihenry Member Posts: 5
    I am planning to replace my Shaker 500 with a double din Kenwood radio. Has anybody experience with this? Do I need to get a special frame to hold the radio? I can see that the Shaker is screwed to the frame, which I guess is impossible for the Kenwood... Thanks! Kai
    Lots of folks have done this so far. Check the other Mustang forum websites. Also, you can get everything you need (harnesses, adapters, etc.) from Crutchfield.
  • stpstarnstpstarn Member Posts: 9
    Hello all 2005 Mustang owners. My story is #880, I had my gas tank replaced and still have the same problem. I have contacted Ford and they said there is nothing they can do at this time, they have no idea why it is doing this. My plee is too :confuse: those out there with problems, is too please report them, don't assume your car is the only one that is having a problem, the more people who call and complain, the more they will be pressured to do something. There customer relation number is 800-392-3673. Please call!!!Thanks!
    Cathy
  • ktwnzsmartguyktwnzsmartguy Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new here and I'm excited to consider Mustang as my first car. I was just wondering... What's featured on the message center? Does it have outside temp, comp.? And, does the audio system display radio station names and song and artist titles?
    No temp. or compass. You can get a replacement rearview mirror from the Ford parts catalog that has that (plus Homelink). The Shaker system does show artist, song title, and radio station call signal if the station broadcasts it and if you select it in the menu.

The message center features trip computer, instant fuel economy, average fuel economy, distance to empty, average MPH, gallons used, and a host of menu items when doing diagnostics. It also displays messages about the cars "health," such as oil pressure low/high, traction control activated, parking brake on, high water temp, low fuel - ## miles to empty, etc. There's LOTS of info that can be displayed there. And, of course, the guage color selections if equipped.
  • sweetmustang05sweetmustang05 Member Posts: 8
    Hi You all I was Woundering what exahust systems sound good on the 05 mustang gt because i was lookin into geting a good loud sounding exhaust system and was just woundering getin some opinions ,so i was seein if any of you did any exhaust system upgrades to your 05 -06 stangs and how they sound please let me know i would appreciate it alot thanks again :)
    It really depends on what sound you are looking for. There are the SLP Loudmouths, which are extremly loud. Loud enough that at crusing speeds, a cop might be inclined to pull you over. After a month, they will get annoying, to some. I know me it would.
    Flowmaster is a great company, I've used them on my other Stangs, but if you want my opinion for the 05/06, go with JBA. Flowmasters just don't seem as good for this car.

I have JBA, and they sound great. They have a nice, deep growl to them, and are definitly mean when you get on the throttle. I'm not sure if you are looking to do any more mods, but if you get a pair of JBA shorty headers, you will be thrilled with the sound after putting those on.
    ATTENTION ALL 05/06 MUSTANG GT OWNERS!!!

For those of you who also may experience the vibrations at 1200-1300 & 3100-3300 RPM range, please take note.

YOU MUST REPLACE YOUR CROSSMEMBER!!!
    I'll explain. The crossmember is a piece that holds up your transmission. It is located right after the cats on the exhaust. The exhaust has 2 metal hooks(Hangers), one of each side, that attach to rubber mounts or brackets that are attached to the crossmemeber. The only way to get these mounts is to have the crossmember ordered.

Ford could not figure it out, so I brought my car to another guy who does all my performance work. He found what looked like the problem, and upon talking to the Ford dealership, they would not cover it.
    If you have this problem, see if Ford will cover it, if not, DO NOT let them install it for you. They wanted to charge me $300 for the part and install. The guy I took my car to, charged me $150 even, for the part and install, and in 30 minutes, the car was done, and no vibrations.
    So, wait. You replaced the crossmember with another stock crossmember? You can't buy an aftermarket performance crossmember for less than $300, and just the labor for the install will probably be up to double that.

I bought a K-member from BMR and had to return it because it was designed mainly for drag racing. I am looking for a new lightweight one that can be used for road racing/autocross. So far, it looks like Granatelli is the only game in town for that, and their unit actually costs quite a bit less than BMR's.

Anyway, please clarify.
  • sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    I am considering a 2006 Tungsten GT Manual

ARE THERE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS CAR?

1.) Is the paint good? Do you easily get swirlies on the tungsten? How often do you get chips? The paint on these cars is known to suck... sorry (Ive owned one)

2.) Are the CLUNKS and TICKS still there? This was a huge issue with the 05? Any 06 owners experience these sounds?

3.) Any other weird problems being noticed?

4.) How's your MPG on this car? If I remember they weren't too bad

Thanks!
    1) You've owned an '05/'06 Mustang? Why are you getting another one?

2) A huge issue? A bit dramatic, don't you think?

3) No. No "weird" problems at all.

4) MPG is great for a 300HP V8 with only 5 gears and no skip-shift.
  • sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    I sold it bcuz it was a lemon sorry it is a huge issue i don't want my car ticking around the block everytime I make a turn at low speeds; i don't want to hear huge clunks everytime i reverse(and i don't want my parking break loose as heck and SHAKER replaced TWICE and AC controls discounted when I goto get repairs done; i also don't want dealer carwash messing up my paint job) i don't want my cheap paint chipping before 1500 miles

i figured those problems would be fixed by now

do you have the tungsten? how is the paint on that?
    Sure no problem tayl0rd. Yes, I had the guy order the stock member, it costs him $91, and he installed it for $60. I wasn't going to spend the money, for a performance one, without knowing if that was my problem. Were you having a problem too? Or just asking?

Why would labor be double that? Where do you live? Have you actually looked at how easy they come out? Life the car...get a brace to hold up the transmission, and the it the k-member comes out with I believe I watched him take out 5-6 bolts, then it just pulls off the hangers and thats it. 20-30 mins. I live in NJ. If you live there, I can give you the guys number to his shop.
    No, I wasn't having any problems (that I know of). I am on a quest to lighten the car. The Granatelli unit is supposed to be 30 pounds lighter than stock.

I can't wait to get a new driveshaft. I hear the stock one is 46 pounds! I just haven't found a good, reasonably priced aluminum one yet. I'd actually prefer carbon fiber, but from the looks of it, the carbon fiber units aren't much lighter than the aluminum, thanks to the heavy end pieces they use. They are supposed to be vibration resistant, though, which is a definite plus.

I didn't know the K-member could be changed out that quickly. Thanks for the heads up! Otherwise, I'm sure someone would've tried to lie and say it takes HOURS to do. If I had a lift and/or some way to hold up the engine, I'd do it myself.

I don't live in NJ.
    Hey, I was just looking at some things online. I think you and I are talking about different things. I didn't mean a K-member, I meant just whats called a crossmember... thats what he called it when he ordered it. The K-memebers are much more expense. Here is a link, the first pic is k-member, thats what you are talking about right?

K-member

I'm going to see if I can find a picture of what I meant.
    Here is a picture of what I am talking about that causes the vibrations.

Crossmember

If you look closely at the right exhaust pipe, you will see a metal hanger coming out of it, and going into a black rubber mount attached to that silver bracket, thats the crossmemeber. If faulty, it causes vibrations, and needs to be replaced. Sorry for any confusion.
  • drsmithhmdrsmithhm Member Posts: 1
    When you use your defrost, the AC is supposed to cycle on and off. It's perfectly normal(and no, I don't work for Ford). Every ford vehicle I've ever had has done this including a '84 LTD and a '90 Grand Marquis.

I always thought the purpose of it was to reduce the humidity of the air so it would clear the windshield faster, but it may be only used to prevent the lubricants in the AC pump from settling. If you were to go through an entire winter without using the AC, you may find that the compressor doesn't want to turn due to a lack of lubrication. Running the compressor ensures that the lubricant in the system is evenly distributed.

As for the other problems with body noises, your best bet is to get a friend to help you diagnose the cause. Have them sit in the back and do a test drive. Have them sit up front and then do a test drive. Heck - have them in the trunk and do a test drive. I'd be willing to bet they would have a pretty good idea where the noise was coming from after only an hour of work. The service manager isn't going to do this for you - his interest is in not wasting resources on warantee problems which don't necessarily make the dealership any money. The more information you gather for him, the easier it is for him to find and diagnose the problem. Don't get bent out of shape because he won't bend over backward to do it for you - you're happiness doesn't write his paycheck(at least not directly).

Finally, I do have to disagree with the casual comments that this is a 'high-end' car. In the grand scheme of what you pay and what you get for that payment, this car is cheap. Sure it costs more that the $2k Ford was asking for it back in 1964, but what other competing car are you going to buy *today* that gives you the same features and performance? None. Even the challenger when/if it comes out is going to be $35k at least if not more.

That said, I like the car. No problems with the '06 V6 PP I picked up in Dec., yet.
    Ahh, I see. Wouldn't that normally be called a transmission mount or support?
    Not sure. I called and asked him just a little while ago and he said its called a crossmember, and thats what I remember him telling the guy on the phone when he ordered it. All I can tell you is what I've been told. lol.
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    oh, oh, oh,....no break-in for the engine but there's definitely a brake-in (couldn't resist...) for the brakes; it's called bedding or seating the pads. absolutely a must on new cars and any car that has a brake job done to it. it's pretty simple to do and a definite "must" if you don't want the pulsating brake pedal problem (also referred to as warped rotors). go to google and put in "bedding in brakes". there will be a host of articles explaining the procedure.

any time the rotors are turned or replaced or the pads are replaced, the bedding-in procedure needs to be done...it's a small price to pay for no pulsation in the brake pedal.

some shops will do the procedure after a brake job when the car is on the lift with a machine...ask the service manager if they do it...i suspect that more and more shops are doing the procedure themselves, due to so many customers' coming back complaining about the pulsation after getting new brakes.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    I just purchased a 2006 GT premium, Torch Red, 18" Mags, 5 speed. I traded in my 2005 V6 auto because after test driving the GT it was a world of difference. Anyway there are no problems for the 500 miles I have put on the car so far. The only thing I have noticed is that the clutch engages mostly at the end of the pedal so you need need to be totally off the clutch or you can hear a slight sound coming from the transmission area. Prices are fantastic right now as well. Picked mine up for under 27 grand here in the Atlanta area. Don't pay more then 500 over invoice if you ask me. Hope this helps.

Daniel
    Why would anyone pay over invoice on a car? Get a few grand off. $27K for a Mustang? Maybe $22K to as high as $23K for a GT makes sense. Certainly nothing more than $25K.

Loren
    And you say this why? The base MSRP is a little over $25,000. That's with no upgrades. Ford still is not offering any incentives or rebates on them. I would say getting $500 over the invoice is pretty darn good.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Why you pay over invoice for a GT is that they are hot and dealers won't let them go for anything less. MSRP on my car was almost $29K. The point is if you won't pay a little over invoice then someone else will, so they will just say "no thanks" to your offer. I'll be damned if you can find a GT with any perks on it for less then $26 to $27 grand. Dealers are not going to take a loss on selling a car, come on…

D
    :)
  • mcbuckstermcbuckster Member Posts: 32
    Its called supply and demand. The reason that I and many others have paid over invoice for a Mustang is because we had to. Even charging more than invoice, there are more buyers than cars (or at least that was the case 6 months ago when I purchased mine). I offered invoice to 4 dealers and none would even consider it. So I had the choice of paying a little more, or not buying a Mustang. I bought a Mustang.
  • rimfirerimfire Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a 05 gt and had such a hard time finding just what i wanted that i payed $1500 over invoice when i found it... now has anyone heard what sounds like a meatal to metal noise rubbing while making a hard turn (right or left) .
    My car was built in April of 05, and I bought in April of 05, and believe it or not, I think I paid more than $1500 over invoice. I can't remember. I have all the upgrades cept the red interior, so I don't know. Don't care lol, I just wanted my Mustang GT, the exact one I customized online, the dealer just happen to get in, I almost fell over. Ha.

That noise you speak off, you sure its just when you are turning? Does it do it all the time, or mainly on really cold days?
This discussion has been closed.