Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Truck Fender Flares, Bed liners, Nerf Bars,and any other questions for Ryan

ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
If anyone has a question on one of these subjects
i am the man to ask.

Ryan

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    This one is for you RED

Ryan
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    What is a good price for a set of Westin CPS step bars part number 26-1680?

How long would it take 1 person to install a set of Westin CPS step bars by themselves?

-David
    What is a good price for a set of Westin CPS step bars part number 26-1680?

How long would it take 1 person to install a set of Westin CPS step bars by themselves?

-David
    I have heard around $365 but that seems high. I have westin but black ones they cost me $250 installed. Im sure Tim will come and razz me but i did have mine installed before i picked the truck up i didnt want to waste my time i wanted them on the day i bought the truck. They dont seem all that hard. Im sure you cant do them yourself and you will need a hand with them. Maybe if you got something to go underneath and hold one end of the bar up it wouldnt be to hard but another person would definitly help.

What kinda prices have you gotten? I was quoted on those for $365 (not installed $415 installed i believe).

Hope this helps

Ryan
    I dont accept double posts haha

Ryan

By the way not a bad price on your truck

Mine with tax and accessories added was $29691. Pretty much same as yours but with flares and locking rear.
    I've gotten a local parts store quote of $340 for the Westin CPS. So far that seems to be a good price.

I've got a good set of jack stands so they will have to be my other set of hands, or I'll go ask my neighbor for help if I get in a bind.

Westin claims "no drilling reqired", I hope they are correct. Did the dealer have to do any drilling to install your set?
    No drilling whatsoever dont worry about that there is none. I have been under the truck to look at how they did it and there was no drilling done.

$340 isnt bad at all considering black that has a 5 yr warrenty retail for like $275

Good luck on your wait

Ryan
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Ryan..have you ever even worked on a car before?...now you are the expert?

hehhehhe

Keeps ya out of our hair I guess..

LOL

- Tim
    You are no longer welcome here.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    what are we supposed to talk about? I see that some of Meredith is rubbing off already... ;)

Dean
  • gnippergnipper Member Posts: 120
    I can't believe you didn't add Zaino to that topic list as well. I guess you won't have all the answers there until tomorrow - you did say you were taking off on Wednesday to put it on right?

By the way - do it in the right order, make absolutely sure it is dry (shouldn't be a problem if you're having any kind of heat like Dallas is getting - as well apply it in the shade or it won't go on thin enough - seriously you don't need much of the stuff) and always make Z6 your last coat. If you didn't get Z6, do. You might be impressed with just the Z1/Z2 or Z5, but after you use Z6, then you'll get total satisfaction !!

Enjoy the Zaino - it really is fun. And you'll start using your truck for a mirror!!

Greg
    well....somebody is grouchy...
    Greg yea i took off but its getting cold and suppose to rain tonight DARNIT!!! thats alright though.

Man i did forget to put it in the title maybe ill make a new forum i tried to make the title long but didnt want to make it to long. When i get bored at work again ill do another one.

Tim im not grouchy.

YOu can join in sorry

Ryan
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    $340 is about what i paid for mine. give or take $5. if you call and ask westin, that's what they sell them for too, so i gotta assume that's wholesale. if you're going to install them yourself, it will take you about 2-3 hrs. their instructions suck, so i will try to take digital pics of mine and email them to you. if you have an impact wrench, that helps A LOT. more than you can imagine. also will significantly reduce your installation time. jack stands aren't required, i did mine with the truck on the ground... if you have access to a lift, i'd highly recommend using one. that and an impact wrench are worth up to $50 to make your install easier. if not, plan on sweating and getting dirty. pack some cool beers and don't start late in the afternoon unless you have outdoor lights readily available. sorry for the long post, email me at kwerking@aol.com for more details. much as an "expert" as ryan claims to be, the most technical thing he's installed on his truck so far has been windshield washer fluid... ;)

kyle
    david -
    westin advertises no drilling and there is no drilling.

kyle
    Havent added washer fluid yet

Ryan
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Ryan,
    Thought I would post here, I will go with aftermarket flares rather than the factory type. Want them to be wider.

Will order some Zanio products next week. Been using Meguires Gold Class so I will be able to compare the two products.

Jerry
    I'll post when I want..how I want..and how often I want...

You don't own me Jr...

LOL

You're out of Order!
    ..He's out of Order..
    This whole place is outa order!!

...(No way Ryan's old enough for that one)

- Tim
    This is MY Forum. Abide by my rules (NONE) or get out haha

Ryan
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Al Pacino? And Justice for All?
    ...what did I miss?..GRRRR

Quad...shhhhhh..this is for Ryan..

LOL

- Tim
    make me

- Tim
    I didnt get my post deleted.

TIM DONT MAKE ME DO IT haha

RYan
  • lincoln5lincoln5 Member Posts: 40
    I bought a set of nerf bars from Stylin' Concepts for my 99 GMC reg cab. They come with gusseted angle brackets that attach to the frame at the same points as the cab and use the cab bolts that hold the cab to the frame. I have the following questions:

1. Am I likely to have a problem getting the cab bolts back in after I remove then to attach the angle brackets? I plan on only removing one bolt at a time.

2. The instructions say to torque these bolts to 65 foot pounds. How critical is this? Can I really over torue them and if so, what are the consequences?

3. Where do I put the formed "washer" tht is presently under the cab bolt when I attach the angle braket?

thanks
    leave one barely tightened...and it will still go in after driving..
    When I took mine out...one was about 10 lbs and the other was maybe 60?....the bolts go back in fine..and I just tightened them up by feel..and not with a torque wrench.

I wouldn't get too worried about being exact. When you take them out it won't go nuts...trust me.

As to where it goes back together...I believe mine was the rubber washer first..(i'd have to look)..then the angle bracket next...(below it). It makes sense that way...then the rubber washer can sit on the frame as it was meant to be..sound good?
    You'd have to ask Ryan here for exact...after all...this is the "ask Ryan" topic!....although he has not installed Nerf bars and might not even know what we are talking about?

Sorry Babs...we like ya..but I feel you only know cosmetics about trucks...and have had little to no experience with mechanics of them...should have stayed off the court all those years!

(this should get that anger management going)

LOL
    my post that was deleted was a quote of YOURS ace!!

....am I getting to ya yet?

- Tim
    Kyle,
    The parts shop that I'm ordering the Westin CPS bars from wants $75 to install them. Heck, I've rebuilt 2 '57 Chevys and 1 '67 Chevy, I hope I can handle installing step bars. Except that was 13 years ago and I had all the right tools and lifts to do the job. Now all I have is my garage, some jack stands and my tool box. I will need to get a new torque wrench though.
    If you have some *.jpg pictures of your Westin CPS step bar (pn: 26-1680) installation, please email them to me at....

hartze@worldnet.att.net

Now if GM would just start building 2001 Silverados LS Ext-cab Z71 with two-tone paint, I can get my truck ordered.

-David
    Tim you cant get to me thanks for your help with that question.

RYan
    I think I just did??

BTW..I see the Silverado gang topic got the boot...how much longer before this one does?

- Tim
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    great forum you've got going. at least you've
    taken the time to help people and not cut them
    down like some of the anal types that you find in

the silverado topic. BTW someone (clown) posted
    something about Al Pacino, can you tell me what
    it means? i'm still trying to figure it out. sort

of an old man's thing would'nt you say?
    Let us know how the Zaino works out.

...red
    just jealous. ha ha
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    how did the silverado gang get the boot?
    of Meredith's delete key. Nothin new on that one. Meredith should at least post a reason and archive prior to deleting a topic so that WE know the reason for it and try, TRY not to repeat the same mistake.... ;)

Dean
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I just bought a set of stainless Luverne nerf bars for my 2K Sierra Ext Cab 2500. Took about 45 minutes to put them on. They bolt up to the body mount at the front of the cab and at the back of the cab. Perfect fit, no problems at all. Got them from Spillar Hitch in Austin, Tx for about $300 total. Not bad for the stainless, mutch cheaper than the Westin, and look the same. Good workmanship and the instructions were illustrated.

Jim
    OK heres a legitimate question for ya. (and no,
    i'm not tryin' to have fun with ya either). i've
    already got a bug guard that i'm happy with, but
    is there a screen or something that i can get for
    keeping the bugs outa the radiator? you've done
    alot of research on aftermarket stuff and was
    wondering if you've seen anything like i'm
    talking about. in town i would'nt need it but, on
    my freeway journeys i really get my share.

Obyone, silverado gang here? if i'm thinking of
    the same people you're thinking of, well, they're
    not what i'd call gang representation. more like,
    and i can't even describe it cause my post will
    get Zapped like last time.

...red
    digital camera's at work. soon as i get my hands back on it and some free time, i'll try to snap some detailed pics for you. based off your last post...you've got much more experience than i did when i put mine on. and, like tim said, you don't need a torque wrench. hand tight with a socket will do. mine have been fine...going on four months now. most of the three hours i spent was figuring out which brackets went where and being nervous about removing cab bolts. after i got it all figured out...maybe an hour to 90 minutes of work. if i get these pics done...it'll make it a lot easier on you. i'll get back to you when i do...gimme a week or so.

kyle
    On the subject of a screen. I dont think ive come across one. My dad back when he had his old 79 chevy reg cab had one that went over the whole front end for long trips. If i come across one il let you know.

Try

http://www.cabelas.com

Ryan

Sorry i was gone yesterday washed truck cut grass then went to my gfs softball game.
    remember where I saw it. Covered the grill. Had different one's for snow to help keep engine heat in compartment, and one for summer and all the bugs....just another sign of old age I guess...

Dean
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Red, you may want to try JC Whitney. Been awhile since I've looked in their catalog, at one time time they sold a bug screen for trucks.

Jerry
    ever hear of Woodward Ave.? Was just reading an article about all the go fast cars going there including engineers from GM...Hmm maybe they should have built bleachers...

Oops, sorry for being off topic.

Dean
    thanx guys for the info.

...red
    I am the MAN!!!

here ya go

http://jcwhitney.com/catsubpic.jhtml?CATID=77542

Ryan
    Good Old US1...

In about a month is the annual Woodward Dream Cruise...from the first year..it has been the event of the year...

In the golden days.it was the place every night to be for racing and cruising. In the one day event...about 1 Million People come...all in mainly a 6 mile long area..

It's packed..and you see the most awesome vehicles you have never even thought of seeing before..miles of cars lined up on the sides...as well as miles of 4 lanes of cruisers...on both sides of the BLVD...as well as the side streets packed..........
    http://detroitnews.com/1997/autos/cruise/take/take.htm

http://dreamcruise.org/

past years..

http://www.kilburn.org/cruise98/dream_cruise.98.html

http://detroitnews.com/1997/autos/cruise/

http://detroitsuburbs.about.com/citiestowns/midwestus/detroitsuburbs/library/weekly/aa070199.htm

Overhead photos:
    (click the next button....you will get the feel of how it looks....packed!)

http://detroitsuburbs.about.com/citiestowns/midwestus/detroitsuburbs/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.freep.com/photos/dreamcruise/index.htm

These are cool too:

http://www.freep.com/photos/dreamcruise/dreamcruise8.htm
    http://www.freep.com/photos/dreamcruise/dreamcruise1.htm
    pretty darn cool...I'll be there for the biggest car show in the world...will you?

- Tim
    to all that want to attend. ryan, how can you
    just put a person in as pres. or VP without a
    vote?

BTW, i just got my IAS shocks from carparts.com
    and paid 214.49. that included shipping and tax.
    tax is because i live in the the same state.

...red

P.S. thanks for the link on the screen.
    Is that what you were looking for the screen link i posted? Let me know if that was what you were looking for.

Ryan
    where you at man? you need to be here more often
    in case somethin' big comes up. you're either
    gonna play with the chicky's or manage your
    forum, it can only be one or the other.

BTW you told us that you had ordered tailight
    guards. what's up with those items? did u get em?
    the ones i saw made the truck look like a guy
    wearing a catchers mask. start talkin' or we're
    gonna stop playin here.

...red
    your good buddies in the Yukon forum need your assistance on how to install Husky Mudguards...I believe you have experience in doing this...maybe they will listen to you for a change...I doubt it though.... ;) See post 492 in topic 2799

Dean
    we had this conversation. Tim, yourself and I about this putting money in the savings account. It started when Tim said he was to buy a truck every two or three years and said wasn't good idea to put so much down on a truck. Anyways some people have to learn it in school...I guess that's the best advice...the one you pay for...
    Laters..

Dean
    ..is that what your employer calls surfing edmunds all day babs?

LOL

..I thought these covers were to come in 2 days babs?.....3 weeks ago!

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.