Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XV

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
This topic is a continuation of Topic 2140....

Chevy Silverado - Continued IX. Which should have
been XIV.... but I digress.... Please continue
these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Must be the new math I keep hearing about.

Long live the Silverado topic.

Mike L
  • iwactiwact Member Posts: 25
    How many quarts of oil does the 5300 take?
    Is it a 5.3 L or 5.7L?
    I don't have the manual with me today, but I'm sure it said the 5300 5.7L takes 6 quarts. Under the hood it says its a 5.3L. Either way, is 6 quarts correct?

Thanks,
    Randy
  • ovalleyovalley Member Posts: 135
    Try using vise grips on the top of front shock stud and an open end wrench to do the rest. It doesn't take as long as you might think, then I'm 6'-2" and I can bend over to reach it. My factory shocks would only screw down so far. This keeps the preload on the bushings correct. However, the Rancho RS9000 did not. Guess that's why the dealer messed them up when removing them.

ps. If you have access to an air ratchet, use a long extension and apply pressure sideways by twisting to the side with the gun running. This will usually get it off without holding the stud. Only works with air tool though.
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    6 quarts with a filter change on the 5.3.
  • iwactiwact Member Posts: 25
    Thanks, thats what I thought, but was confused when I saw the 5.7L in the book. I'll double check today to see what it says.

Thanks,

Randy
    iwact - "I want a chevy truck"
    should be "I finally got a chevy truck" (acutally went with the GMC though instead)
  • jaumenjaumen Member Posts: 54
    Does anyone know how long it normally takes from the target production week until delivery date?
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Delvery time varies from 3 days (I think) for Ryan who is just a couple of hours from the factory to 14 days if you have a small dealership and doesn't get a truckload delivery of his own.

My 2000 took 10 days from Born on Date to Delivery Date.

Mike L
    Will vary depending on the distance of the plant location from the dealer location. As I recall my 00 in April took six calendar days from the build date to be delivered to my dealer, a distance of about 400 miles. GM customer service had told me to allow 3 weeks after the the truck was built. I guess they feel it is better to tell the customer too long and be early as to being late with it. Time of year could also enter into the time.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    perhaps the 5.7 is also listed as some old style's were still being made?

- Tim
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    5.7 liters = 6.02 quarts.

Peter
  • psp1996psp1996 Member Posts: 18
    Bob, thanks for responding to my question on the ZX3 ride control. Your opinion helps in my decision on this option.

Thanks, Lewis
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Got the Royal Purple at Napa 10-30W list at $6.99 each, bought a case so they gave it to me at $5.99 each. Actually, I haven't heard the knock for awhile.

red

thanks for the update on the cab filter

ovalley

My truck has been with dealer since last Wednesday for the noncentering steering. I really should call them, but at this point it's getting so that I'm used to driving rental trucks...even a Dodge. Damn thing sure sucks gas. Will post of any updates, findings as soon as they let me know. Shop foreman duplicated the steering condition so there is no chance of them trying to slip out on this one.

From the sound of your undercarriage destruction, sure seems like whoever worked on your truck didn't know what they were doing. Good luck on yours...

Dean
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Rode great with the load. Easy acceleration (i hit the gas stop light to stop light haha) and i passed with ease too.

Didnt try tow haul. I have used it though. When i hauled a bunch of dirt and sod i didnt like it much seemed to shift harder to me. No tow haul rode better

Ryan
  • ynotanmynotanm Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking for the torque settings for the rear end fill and drain plugs on a 2000 Silverado (4 WD, 1500, and 5.3 V8) with posi-traction. Also would like to know if any type of sealer is required on these plugs.

Thank You.............
    check you sonic email...got some questions...

Dean
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I think the black crud on the cab filter was mold - also had some loose dirt and leaves. I live in Houston and the humidity is always high, perfect conditions for mold - damp, cold & dark. I have had the Truck a little over a year and have put on 12,000 miles - I would guess 9,000 of them have been with the A/C.

I think the 7mm deep socket would be a perfect fit for the pain in the [non-permissible content removed] 3rd bolt. But maybe I will try the bend it but don't break it method next time.

But I like having a reason to buy more tools and I can't see just buying one socket - would need to get the matching set - One socket is probable $3.00 and the whole set of 7-8 is around $10.00 - Gee honey I saved $20 today at the hardware store.
    if tow/haul feels too hard..you don't have enough in the back to use it...

filter.....hmm...vince found mold?....I always use A/C and always use re-circ.....and have had pneumonia twice in the last few months and feel it coming on again....i wonder if there is something growing in mine?.....gonna have to take a looksee soon...

- Tim
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    No no Tim, I didn't find mold. I haven't changed mine yet (10 months 10k miles). z71bill found mold.

obyone, thanks for the oil filter wrench link. At $26 each I think I'll take a look in the stores. Can you grab the Silverado filter with that thing? The access is so restricted around the filter body.
    The oil filter wrench will take off the 'rado's oil filter either one of two ways. It will fit around the filter or the tips will crush the filter, then remove it. Either way it's a snap. The length helps to prevent the oil from getting on you if you don't punch a drain hole in the bottom of the filter. I saw something similar at Northern Tools for around $8.

Dean
    Has anyone had a slight whining noise from the steering when turning the wheel only to the left. Another topic says there is a gm service bulletin on this problem. I have the noise, but have not been to my dealer yet. Belt is tight, but the noise is more of a whine than a squeal. I had passed it off as normal for these trucks, but now I am thinking that I need to put it on my list for the service department. Thanks, Bob
    changing the rack and the p/s metering valve. Apparently, the metering valve is causing the squeal on left turns. Forgot the tsb number but Clay Hodges has a copy of the tsb at his website.
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Reckon that the in-cab filter housing is the same for the 1500 and 2500? I assume we're talking about a center consol configuration.

John
    Would like to see the tsb. Who is Clay Hodges and where is his web site? Thanks, Bob
    Clay has been posting problems that have been ongoing with the Silverado and Sierras at his site. The link to the tsb is as follows:

http://agmlemon.freeservers.com/latest_tsb.htm

Dean
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    hey guy, did chevy ever fix the dash rattle? i'm
    a little curious cause i've got another one
    that's starting the now you hear me now you don't

thing. if i have to i'll pull the dash frame and
    insulate everything that even looks like a pest.
    but would like to know what has been done with
    yours before going into surgery.

...red
  • 750hill750hill Member Posts: 29
    put over 4000 mile on my silverado in the last
    week and half - Philly/New York. No problem
    in finding parking garages - was surprised.
    Truck was troublefree and gas average 23
    mpg at 70-75 with the 4.8.

Comfort well thats another thing
    I should have gotten the leather pkg, LS seats
    got very tiring after 10 hours. The Reg short wheel-base was very bouncy whether this is related to the vibration problem - don't know.

The 4.8 was more than adequate and at 75 still
    had plenty to give for passing. My 2001 Vette
    was in so made it back home with one night on
    road. I love that car!!!! 350hp

Had some E-Mail that a recall is out on the
    brakes but haven't had time to follow up yet.
    Changed the oil myself so next schedule will
    take to dealer to see whats up.
    In case you're about to take apart your dash for the rattles, or need to get to the rear of the stereo check out this link:

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/GM/PDF/460029.pdf
    I tried the 50/40 psi you mentioned in topic #2140 (post #751) during last weekend. Seemed to smooth the ride a little. Thanks for the info.
    P.S. - Is there really a difference between summer air and winter air? I heard that summer air gives a softer ride.
    in the rear....the outside of my tread seems it's not touching enough...but being these are LT rated tires...running 30 or so could be like running on empty for the sidewalls....I e-mailed back and forth to a guy at Firestone a while back asking what's the lowest pressure you can run....all I got was "check GM's reccomendations"....or "depends on the weight"...i told him OK....a 2000 2500 Ex. cab...."ask the dealer"....."have the tread measured by a tire place for wear"......

I never did get an answer what's the lowest. It came from the factory at 45 all around.....I've got 20K on them at 40...and they sem fine...you may be able to go to 35?....but I'm not trying it out...

Good Luck

- Tim

...you could run 45 in teh front..maybe even 40...but as i said..the steers take all the abuse..so I leave em at max..
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Today my truck turned 4 months old.

AWWW can i get a happy 4 month bday haha
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    I changed mine at the one year mark and it (they 2 pieces) had the mold. I was getting odor from this with the a/c . It must have spread in the duct work but the dealer sanitized it somehow and I haven't had a problem since.
    Like I said..I can feel my Pneumonia coming back and i'm starting to wonder if this may be the cause?.....I gotta get under that dash man....

- Tim
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    Where can I find a site that provides the actual written text of each TSB on the Silverado? the NHTSA and alldata sites list the numbers and a brief description of each TSB, but there's no detailed text of the problem and the actual repair involved.
  • ovalleyovalley Member Posts: 135
    my dealer can't even seem to find copies. (or won't take the time to look them up)
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    The dealer should be able to get you the full TSB. I got one for my wife's Grand Prix a couple months back. Interestingly enough, it was for an odor in the AC system at startup, mold just like others here are reporting. They clean it out, and then spray a mold preventing compound in there too. I haven't gone to get it done yet, but will soon. For those of you with the mold problem that might want the Dealer to clean it out, look up the TSB for '99-'00 Pontiac Grand Prix, and get a copy from your local Pontiac dealer, and take it in with you. My Service Dept. treated me well when I told them I wanted a copy of the TSB, as they knew I was well educated in the matter, since I had the TSB number for them. Try another dealer if they can't get it. Probably they are being lazy, but it did take about 30 min. for them to find it. I don't think most of these places are too organized. Good luck.
    Does your truck set outside at night or is it garaged? Do ya think the damp night air or dew might have anything to do with the mold growth?

Just wondering?

John
    Helm's. I believe they update them quarterly. For got how much they charge but it wasn't cheap.
  • careyacecareyace Member Posts: 44
    For those of you who have a 2500 and tow ,what psi. do you run when your towing.Last night we bolted in the fifth wheel hitch (about a two hour project)its a Reese 15K slider and tonight we go to pick up the camper,so I want some input on psi.I found the 50/40 combo works well for me when I'm not towing.I was told about 50/70 combo would work well for towing.The pin weight is about 1000 pounds.
    I really wanted to get a spray in liner before I bolted the hitch in but time and $$$$$ did not allow so I will have to remove the hitch rails someday so I can have it sprayed.
    But any help on tire psi. would help a lot.

Thanks Andrew
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    thanks for the info on the shocks...already changed mine. was looking to help others out who are planning on it. thanks for your input though too...

kyle
  • ksim2ksim2 Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys:

I got my truck back with new Goodyear Wrangler tires and the vibration is different. Now you can feel more movement in the seats and
    less in the steering wheel. I plan to try another dealer. My dealer has been nice but very "laid
    back" so I'm gon'a take her in to a larger dealer. The carbon removal did stop the noise during cold starts. And the dealer said to bring it in for the next oil change and he'd document the oil usage. So I'm checking my oil every week... time will tell.
    I always pump them up to 80 for all towing hauling....but I have no 5th wheel experience..

- Tim
    Like Tim, I always run the rears up to 80 psi when towing, and 50 psi in the front is probably OK. You've got a lot of pin weight, so you'll want the rears up to the 80 psi max allowable. The 50/80 combo is what's listed on the door jamb sticker.
    What kind/size of camper are you getting?
    WE are getting a used one, it is a 1996 28ft Sportsmen w/ a large slide out and lots of goodies.Granted it is not the best of names out there It is a big step up for us from the 1973 21ft trailer.
    How much do she weigh? Sportsmen might not be the best name out there, but they make a practical rig that performs pretty well.
  • willimjowillimjo Member Posts: 73
    I haven't seen any talk about the 1/2 Ton Crew Cab, so I thought I'd pass this on from http://www.pickuptruck.com While the article is about a GMC, near the bottom it states it will also be available as a Chevy. The article has a couple of pictures too.

GMC Unveils 1/2-Ton Sierra Short Box Crew Cab

During our recent trip to Southern California for a drive of the Sierra C3, GMC provided the automotive press with a surprise viewing of the 2001 Sierra Short Box Crew Cab.

The Sierra Crew Cab has a 6.5-foot cargo bed, compared to the 5.5 foot box found on Ford’s F-150 SuperCrew. Like the SuperCrew, the 1/2-Ton Sierra also sports four fully independent front opening doors with a 60/40 split bench for rear passengers. Rear seats fold down to provide access to additional storage in the back of the cab.

The 8600 lb.,"heavy", GVWR Sierra 1500 will be available early next year in SLE or SLT trim only.

Rick Asher, from GMC Communications, says the 1/2-Ton Sierra Crew Cab is very similar to the new Heavy Duty crew cab. It's updated Vortec 6000 V8 will produce 300 horsepower and 360 ft-lbs. of torque providing more towing power than most other trucks in the 1/2-ton segment.

GMC is expected to produce 10,000 Sierra Crew Cabs for 2001 though more can be added to production depending on demand.

Chevrolet will also market a 1500 Silverado Crew Cab for 2001 with similar specs to the Sierra.
    Im not sure of the weight I think it is 6300 pounds.
    We think that we are getting a good deal as it looks like brand new as it has about every option one could want.
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Hmmm. 1500 with 4 full size doors,a 6.5 foot box, and 6.0l engine. Decisions, Decisions.

BTW, did you see the picture of that dodge maxxcab? EEECH! Looks like a caravan pulling a utility trailer on a short hitch.
  • heavy1heavy1 Member Posts: 1
    My last Astrovan had me sneezing and my eyes water everytime I turned on the A/C. I asked the dealer about it. They sold me a can of "Frigi-Fresh". All you had to do was start the truck turn on the air and spray it into the vent intake on the firewall. The can suggests spraying for 10-12 seconds. It worked great. I've only done it 1 time since. "Frigi-Fresh" in made by BG Products in Whitchita Kansas.
    1000 lbs pin weight is not very much weight for a 2500. I think 70 psi is just right for that load. The 80 psi sticker value is for max load of around 3000 lbs.
    Let's see, 8600 lb GVWR, 6.0L engine. Hmm, why is this truck called a 1/2 ton?
This discussion has been closed.