Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Lease Questions

Comments

• ecwwb1971ecwwb1971 Member Posts: 7
    Hi there. We have a 2009 Acura TSX tech with less than 9,000 miles on it (commute to Metro station a mile away). It is a 39 month lease term and our termination date is May 14, 2012. The Residual Value is $19,692. We are considering keeping the vehicle because, obviously, it's still like new. It seems like it would be worth more than the $19,692 at the end of the lease because of the mileage.

Does anyone know if Acura will finance the $19,692 for us if we choose to keep it, or do we have to use an outside loan company/bank to finance it as a used vehicle? How exactly does it work if you don't want to pull $20 K from your investments? Really not familiar on the way lease terminations work.

Also, our Acura Financial statement says that they cannot give a payoff for another calendar date because "The Payoff Calendar cannot be used for this account. You may have an Illinois payoff sales tax credit available to you. If you are in the last six months of your Lease please contact the Lease Maturity Center at 1-800-708-6555, otherwise please call your branch at 1-800-542-6632 to obtain your payoff quote."

Does anyone in Illinois know if a payoff sales tax credit applies to leases? My guess is no. Yes, we will call AFS, but no humans are there until Monday, so I figured I try here just in case someone knew.)

Thanks in advance.

Erika
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    This state really jams it too you. When you lease, you pay all the sales taxes just like a regular purchase! All up front rolled into the deal It gets even better. When you purchase at lease end>>guess what, they tax you on that purchase price. So you have two seperate sales tax payouts! The old double taxation trick. In hindsight you would have been better off buying outright but then we are all smarter after the fact. I have not heard of the rebate you mention on early terminations. Doubt that it would add up to much for just 5 months.
    Honda does not help you if for example you wanted to have a friend (third Party) buy the car as HFC will only title the sale to you. I'd love to hear how you make out as I have a lease closing out in July with AHFC in Illinois.
  • demo417demo417 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I can answer your questions and also (hopefully) clear up the confusion associated with IL lease tax. AFS, able to refinance your lease, but only as a used car. Once a vehicle is titled, it must be refinanced as a "used" or "certified used" vehicle. There is no way around this. AFS, is chartered as an "indirect lender", meaning they cannot finance your loan directly, like a bank. You would need to see your dealer, complete a credit application and be approved again. For explanation sake, AFS, cannot approve a loan or sum of money to an individual, their charter only allows them to purchase a financial contract (on your behalf) from the dealership. Hope that helps. My suggestion would be to shop around for the best rate and term that suits your needs. Explore both AFS (through your dealership) and your bank or credit union. You pick the best deal. The good news is, your price point is set. Your vehicle's residual value is on your contract and neither the dealer, bank or AFS can deviate from that and with Acura resale values, it is usually a pretty good deal. Try comparing your resale value to the asking price of vehicles in the paper that match your year, make and model. Then smile!
    You will need to pay sales tax in IL. The sales tax will be included in your lease payoff. You will not be "double taxed". Sales tax on a leased vehicle is paid based on the cost of the lease, not the MSRP of the vehicle. If your lease payment (for ease of math) is $100 per month for 36 months, than you pay sales tax on the $100 x 36 = $3,600 cost of the lease. Then, when you purchase the vehicle at lease maturity, you pay sales tax on the purchase price (residual value) of the car. So yes, you pay taxes twice, but you no you are not double taxed.
    In regard to AFS not be "willing" to allow a leasee to sell the leased vehicle to a third party, it's not a question of being willing. They are not able to by law. The finance company does have and cannot obtain a dealer license, which is required by law, to sell vehicles that they do not privately own and operate. In most cases, finance companies would love for leasees to sell their vehicles, it would cut out a lot of the costs associated with lease turn in, reconditioning and resale. The finance company is only permitted to sell the vehicle to party on the existing contract.
    Hope that helps with a few things. If you have questions, feel free to discuss with your finance company. They're all fighting for market share and customer service and is sought after like you couldn't imagine, in this industry. Dealerships haggle, but the finance companies deal in volume and will lay out any option available (few due to laws) to you.

I forgot to address the question regarding lease payoff and IL tax credit. Your payoff cannot be quoted online for a future date in IL, because of how the taxes were accessed when you leased the vehicle. You paid the sales tax for the entire lease "upfront". If you payoff the lease early, you are credited the difference of the tax paid on the portion of the lease that you didn't pay, because you bought the car. Yes, you will still pay tax on the higher payoff ( your payoff will be higher than the residual because not all of the lease payments are made if you buy it before the lease matures) but that's IL. And just in case you're wondering, the residual value of the vehicle is the predicted value of you vehicle at the lease maturity. The finance companies have to guestimate this value and stick with it...they're pretty good at it. This is why vehicles with high resale values have attractive lease payments. The payments are determined by the depreciation amount over the time you want to lease the vehicle.
  • ecwwb1971ecwwb1971 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you so much for the detailed information. This is exactly the kind of Illinois rules we were looking for.

We did manage to call AFS last week to find out about the tax credit for our situation. Acura would finance the vehicle as a used car like you said, but we would not be eligible for the tax credit through them. If we finance through anyone else (Chase, credit union, etc) we get a tax credit for the residual value at the end of our lease (around $19K). Apparently, we pay the dealership for the residual value plus the 7.25% vehicle sales tax and then we will get the tax back after the whole process is over with - a check from AFS. Not a bad deal for us financially, I think.

Thanks so much. At least we have the Acura figured out for the May lease termination date. Next weekend is Odyssey trade-in time.
  • labuyer100labuyer100 Member Posts: 4
    Hello! Just got a TL with Tech and love it! Now my friend is interested in leasing the TSX with tech. Can anyone advise me of the money factor and residual for TSX with Tech, 12,000 mile lease? I understand that there is also a $500 dealer incentive. Is that correct?
    Thank you!
  • harriganharrigan Member Posts: 13
    Car Man -- would you be kind enough to post the January 2012 numbers (residual, money factor) for a 2012 TSX Sportwagon with the Technology Package? Presuming top credit.

For my area, using Edmunds TMV and TrueCar I'm seeing an average selling price of about 34.4k -- does that normally represent the "out the door" cost, or would there normally be doc fees, handling fees on top of that?

Also interested in Feb numbers, but I suspect those aren't available yet.

Thanks in advance!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Here's the information that your friend needs, labuyer100. Acura's January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 TSX Tech 4-cylinder with 12,000 miles per year are .00061 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The last time I checked, Acura was running a volume-based stairstep program on the TSX. This program provides escalating amounts of dealer cash on this vehicle, depending upon how many the dealer sells, anywhere from nothing all the way up to $800 per car.

There's also some $250 dealer cash certificates on this car floating around out there.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Here you go harrigan. Acura's January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 TSX Sportwagon Tech with 15,000 miles per year are .00061 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I believe that the TMV price is before any fees are added.

The above lease program is scheduled to run through the end of February, but Acura does reserve the right to make unscheduled changes to it.

Car_man
    Host
  • dutchmastahdutchmastah Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2012
    Car_man,

I see you posted the January numbers for 15K/year SportWagon Tech model lease ( .00061 and 57%), how would this numbers differ for SportWagon Base model with 10K/year 36 months lease? Thank you very much!!
  • harriganharrigan Member Posts: 13
    Thanks, Car Man. Much appreciated.
    edited January 2012
    Just closed the deal on 2012 TSX Sportwagon Base lease.

$2000 out of pocket - $350 disposition fee for my '09 VW that Acura agreed to cover, so $1650 overall out of pocket, with fees and 1st payment included.

36 months, 10K/year - $260 month + tax 9% ($23) = $283/month

MSRP: $32045
    Selling price was: $30160, the dealer said there was also a $1000 incentive from Acura, so I assume $29160 is the final price (?). I did not ask what money factor or residual they were using though. Hope this helps someone.
  • jett456jett456 Member Posts: 50
    Hi,

How does Acura deal with early lease termination and leasing a new vehicle. I have a leased Honda Insight Nav with leather. I have 1 year to go on my lease. If I wanted to lease a new Acura TSX now would they require me to pay the remaining payments on my lease? I have very low miles on it (13500).
    edited January 2012
    jett456,

hey, I'm not an expert on this, but from my experience this kind of deals are done on an individual basis. I think a lot will depend on how anxious the dealer will be to sell you a car. They can offer you to buy out your Insight and roll the equity (if it has any) into your new lease, just be carefull so they don't rip you off and add negative equity to your payments. Otherwise, I don't see how would you terminate your lease early without making the remaining payments, if the car is not paid off. Then again, I'm not an expert, may be there are other ways too. I would suggest talking to the dealers directly, ask them what they can do for you, if you don't like their answer, call someone else. Also, there was a leasing company that agreed to buy out my car, but the best they could do in my case was $2000 lower than the actual buy-out quote was, so I did not go with it. It can be different in your situation though. Hope this helps.
    Thanks!
  • braners47braners47 Member Posts: 1
    Hello - Currently in talks with dealer about leasing 2012 TSX tech package. This is what he is offering...good deal? This is my first new car and I'm deciding to lease because i'm 24 and price to lease is chearper than to finance.

The lease agreement would be for the 2012 Acura Tsx Technology package:
    36 months @ 10k per year with $2500 down total. It includes all lease fees, taxes & Tags. (includes 1st month payment) you would have 35 months remaining. Your total monthly payment comes to $365 per month., the residual is $19,939.

Chances are your Tsx will be worth more than that amount after your 36 month lease expires. That way, you have the option to buy out your lease or sell it before your lease expires.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    I'd strongly consider getting at least 12, 000 miles per year in your lease deal. Any less and you will pay big time for overages.. You should get this done for around $375 monthly
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    Strange advice. How could you possibly know what mileage another person needs. A friend of mine drives only 6K miles per year for example.
    As to the actual price, I've got around $400 per month for 12K miles per year with everything included. This is with NJ tax and MV. Seems to be about $24 per month or $864 better that Braners47 is offered. $375 per month means another $900 off the price and could be tough to get.
    Hi dutchmastah. Acura's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a base 2012 TSX SportWagon with 10,000 miles per year are .00061 and 63%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome harrigan.

Car_man
    Host
  • ckigginsckiggins Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2012
    Car Man - do you have the buy rate/money factor for 2012 leases (both base and tech package) for March? Much thanks in advance!
    I certainly do ckiggins. Acura's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a base 2012 TSX with 15,000 miles per year are .00064 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '12 TSX Tech are .00064 and 54%.

Car_man
    Host
    Acura (CT) has a lease offer for 0 down for the base TSX for $350.00. This excludes title, tax and fees. The mileage is 10,000. The actual capitalized cost is $28,109.09. Does this seem too high? 10,000 miles is a bit low. I do way under that right now but you never know. I would like to be able to do ) down and keep the payment at $350 including tax. Also I got an email yesterday from Honda saying that they will give me $500 towards first month's payment of a purchase or lease of a Honda or Acura.
  • bubbazbubbaz Member Posts: 1
    My wife's RDX's lease is up in April and we are thinking about jumping into the Wagon. I'm just about to get on the phone with the dealer to see what's being offered at his SoCal dealership. The letter's we've been getting claim that there is some residual value on the RDX. We are stuck with her driving a Honda or Acura...they are her client. We could hold out a few months by just turning the car in since we only need one car right now and waiting till June if there are usually better deals by summer. Any thought?
  • raskyr1raskyr1 Member Posts: 13
    Hey Car Man,

Do you have the current lease rates for a 2012 TSX SE 6speed man, 12,000 miles.

Also, does anyone know if Acura dealers tend to offer some sort of loyalty program? I leased my '08 TSX and then purchased it from the dealer at lease end. I'd like to trade it in at the same dealer with hopes of getting a better deal on a new one.

Thanks,
    Rasky
    Here's the information that you're looking for Rasky.

Honda Finance's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 TSX SE with 12,000 miles per year are .00064 and 59%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Acura is providing $500 dealer cash on the 2012 TSX right now, but I don't believe that it has any owner loyalty offers on it at this time.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you!
    edited March 2012
    Car Man,

I'd like to offer the dealer what I believe is a fair price for the car (2012 TSX SE). Would the below figures seem correct?

Using TrueCar Target price of $30,020 and paying TTL up front. (Does $1200-1500 seem about right for all the TTL and fees in Minnesota?)

MSRP: $31695
    Base Cap Cost: $30020
    Costs Added to lease: $0 (paying up front)
    Cap Cost Reductions: $0
    Adjust Cap Cost: $30020
    Residual value: $18700
    Term: 36 months
    Sales Tax %: 6.875% (I think)

Monthly Payment = $345.63 + $23.76 tax. (total monthly payment of $369.39)

Thanks,
    Rasky
  • syntax53syntax53 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2012
    Cost of car: $26,521
    Residual: $18,417
    Money Factor: 0.00064
    Monthly Payment: $311 + Tax (36 months)

I did pay for my first month, but nothing else out of pocket. Nothing down, no acquisition fees or title/registration fees.

Other details: I was currently leasing a 2010 base TSX with 16 months left on the 36 month lease. Payoff was $23,173.38. I only had 9,800 miles on the car. Edmunds says the dealer retail is $23,380 or $25,205 as certified used. I assume they are using some cash there to lower the cost of the car. Plus maybe some Acura loyalty cash in the back end.

How did I do?
  • ren0_ren0_ Member Posts: 2
    2012 Acura TSX Base (36 month / 36,000 miles)

documentation, acquisition, dmv, tire tax and first month = $1,500 up front / $306(month including NJ tax) and no additional money down.
    You're very welcome raskyr1.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Rasky. I personally think that you can do better than $30,000 on this car. Its dealer invoice price minus the available $500 dealer cash is $29,120. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, I could easily see you beating the price that you were given by a couple hundred dollars.

Once you have a selling price price that you are comfortable with, have the dealer use Acura's buy rate lease money factor of .00064 to calculate your payment and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
  • ajpbf7ajpbf7 Member Posts: 91
    Hi Carman,

Can you post the April money factor, residual, and dealer cash for the TSX SE and Base? 10k per year/36 month term. Thanks!
  • alancun1alancun1 Member Posts: 1
    Carman,

Can you also include the
    April money factor, residual, and dealer cash for the TSX Wagon Base and Tech package? 12k per year/36 month term. Thanks!

Sorry if it is already posted
  • fidelity88jfidelity88j Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    Hi Carman,

What are the April money factor and residual values for the Base 2012 TSX Sedan with a 15K/yr lease w/ 36mo. term? What would you consider a solid deal for a monthly payment with $1000 down?

If you could also provide the Tech money factor and residual that would be awesome.

Thanks for your help!
    Thanks again for the info, Car man! I just sold my '08 and I'll see if I can locate one with a better price. :)
  • mtvcamtvca Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

So I have an offer for a base TSX @ 27,057. The terms are:

36 months
    12k miles
    .00064 money factor
    59%
    18110 residual value
    Monthly payment $318 (290 base, remainder tax)
    And approximately 350 in registration fees.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks!
    Hey ajpbf7. Acura's April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 TSX Base with 10,000 miles per year are .00064 and 60%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '12 TSX SE are .00064 and 60%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi alancun1. Sorry for the delay in my response. I have been away. Here you go.

Acura's April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 TSX Wagon Base with 12,000 miles per year are .00064 and 60%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '12 TSX Wagon Tech are .00064 and 57%.

When negotiating your deal on these cars, make sure to take advantage of the $500 dealer cash that is currently available on them.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings fidelity88j. Acura's April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 TSX Sedan Base with 15,000 miles per year are .00064 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

The money factor for the Tech model is the same, but its residual values are 3% lower.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $500 dealer cash that is currently available on it. If I was in the market for this car, I personally would shoot for a selling price of a couple hundred dollars over dealer invoice minus this cash. You can find this car's invoice price over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome raskyr1.

Car_man
    Host
    That is a very attractive selling price and money factor mtvca. If you like the car, I personally don't see any reason not to pull the trigger on this deal.

Car_man
    Host
  • stlgirl636stlgirl636 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently in lease negotiations for the Acura TSX Premium with Tech package. Selling price of $31, 687 with $1700 down for 36 months at 10K/year = $378.19/mo. Is this good or can I get it lower? I was hoping to be under $350, but I'm not sure how this all works or what to leverage at this point in negotiations. Any advice?
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    The best I could get in January was $400 per month with all taxes and fees rolled into payments ($400x36) for 12K miles per year. The current situation is a little bit better, so I would shoot for $375 per month if I were you.

BTW, what is TSX Premium? Are you in US? If not any comparison just does not make sense.
  • fredlangfredlang Member Posts: 2
    I have a white 2009 acura tsx (without Nav). It has just over 39,000 miles on it and my lease is about to end. The buy out price is $19,000 (before taxes--and acura financial says this price cannot be negotiated). I went on kbb.com and their price to buy this exact car from a dealer is higher than the $19,000 price I can purchase it for now. Does that alone make this a good deal? Is there a way to know if this is a good price?? Would I be better off buying a brand new TSX?

Please let me know if anyone has a formula (or web page) that can explain a way to calculate a good price to purchase the car at the end of a lease?
    Thank you!
  • ChrismaxChrismax Member Posts: 87
    Looking for some numbers on a 36 month lease with 12K miles per year, not planning to put money down. Is it possible to get this payment in the $370-$380 range? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    As you have discovered a used TSX of that vintage/milegae will cost more at a dealer and about even with private sale prices. Getting a new TSX will get you nothing but remounting the lease payment treadmill - the '12 is no different than the car you have now.
    edited May 2012
    Just wanted to say thanks again to Car Man!

After some more searching around I found a dealer in KS willing to sell me the 2012 TSX SE with 6spd for $29420, which I rolled into a lease. I flew from MN to KS yesterday to take delivery. The sales person picked me up from the airport and I drove it the 455 mile trip back to MN...I still have a quarter tank of gas left too! ;)

Rasky
  • teddybear11teddybear11 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Carman
    TSA Base. I got a quote to buy $27,900 (including Destination fee) Also lease 36 months 15K/year. $352.00. Is this good deal? Any advise?
  • teddybear11teddybear11 Member Posts: 10
    $338.75/m + tax = $365/m
    selling price $27,900 plus tax.
    35 months $595 at signing for DMV and fees.
    15k miles/ year
    Money factor: .000460 (super preferred credit)
    Residual or the amount to buy the lease out: $17,306.80

Is this good deal?

Thank you.
  • ajpbf7ajpbf7 Member Posts: 91
    HI Carman,

Hope you are well. Could you post the MF, residual, and any lease incentives for the TSX Base and SE; 36 months/10k per year. I would appreciate it. Thanks.