Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    A large internet Web site is looking to interview consumers who are SUV owners. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday June 20, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the SUV you currently drive.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • ezimmermanezimmerman Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 99 Tracker convertible with the 1.6 and I'm having similar problems. Check engine light on, with the code that indicates EGR system problems. Bad hesitation and no power. I replaced the EGR valve ($$$), exhaust and catalytical converter, but am still having problems. The Tracker has a pup converter (CA emissions?) which might also be plugged. That's going away shortly. New downstream O2 sensor also. If this doesn't fix the problems I'm not sure what else I'll check. The Tracker puffs smoke when it starts, so maybe new valve seals also. Good thing it was cheap to buy! Is it something with the 99s? This is my third Tracker, and the other two (a 92 and 94) were great. :mad:
  • afdjpirroneafdjpirrone Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever find out what was causing your problem. I have a 2001 tracker with the same problem.

Thanks in advanced

Tony
  • trackerfantrackerfan Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for responding to my message. Last week the mechanic at the Chevy dealer explained to me that the reason that the "service engine soon" light is still on after replacing the O2 sensor is that the four cylinders are running at low pressure (120 - 140 psi), and that one of the four cylinders is really bad (<110 psi). He said that the piston rings are shot and that the best thing to do is to replace the engine. He said that the present engine could continue running for 6 to 8 months. I hope he was telling me the truth because this is the third mechanic that I have gone to for help. I have been pricing 1996 Tracker engines and they run anywhere from $1100 - 3000. If anyone knows a mechanic who is really knowledgeable in Trackers and interested in fixing Trackers in Ohio please let me know. Thank you!
    Is your tracker blowing any smoke? The reason I ask is that my tracker was also compression tested, and the shop came back with 140 psi each cylinder. They said it was supposed to be about 190 psi per cylinder. They then found out that my cats were nearly completely plugged. When they "cleaned" out my second cat (mine has CA emissions) it ran better. I'm hoping that when I remove the first (pup) cat, it will run better. I'm replacing both O2 sensors first also. How many miles does your Tracker have on it? Mine has about 160,000 miles, and the previous owner towed with it.
    If you haven't already done it, it's an easy swap to replace the EGR valve. It's expensive though. Cost me about $300 for my 99. It will probably be less for the older years. If you do it, don't forget to clean the carbon out of the exhaust passages into the EGR (and the EGR tube if you have one) or the error will come back. I also think that excess backpressure (through a plugged cat) partially caused my error.
    My Tracker is not blowing any smoke, at least not yet anyway. It currently has about 116,000 miles. The second shop that I went to changed the O2 sensor. The light went off for one day, but as soon as I got back up to 60 mph on the highway, it went back on and stayed on. Thanks for the advice about cleaning the cats. I will investigate that as well.
  • mtj67mtj67 Member Posts: 15
    ...so then the EGR Valve is located like somewhere on the exhaust manifold? Actually, I think I'll just have a shop do it. Was that $300 just for the part...or parts AND labor? Well, it doesn't really matter to me...I'll pay whatever I have to in order to make sure it's fixed cuz it has to pass emissions test too. In fact, you think I should go ahead & get a new converter too? lol like I said, the cost isn't really an obstacle...I just want it right. :)
  • metalmykemetalmyke Member Posts: 14
    Hi. New to this site, need help. Driving down the road three blocks from my house and my 91 4x4 tracker dies. No nothing. Tow it home. Good ignition, pour fuel down throttle body, runs til fuel burns off. Change fuel filter, check flow, excellent. Check fuel injector, no spray. Check ohm resistance, shows fine, pull injector, no clogging on screen. Check throttle postion sensor on ohm meter, shows good, only thing that shows a bit off is idle speed control valve, shows too much resistance. Think this may be problem, but one other thing I want to check is the fuel injector relay, as everything just went dead at once, and still thinking it may be that. Question is, where is it located? would like to check that to make sure before replacing mechanical parts. BTW, took off the idle speed control and check it with a 12V load, and the valve did move slightly. not sure how far it is supossed to move. ANYWAY, please anyone help with location if the FI relay or any other words of wisdom. I love my tracker, have had it for a decade, have beat on it and this is the first time I have had a problem I couldnt figure out in a minute what was wrong. Thanks.
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    Two words---Fuel pump? 15 years old, try that.
    Already checkd that. pull line, turn engine, fuel shoots out with force. Was told by a mechanic though that many GM (i know this is a suzuki) that if the pressure is less than 40lbs it does not matter, even if it seems there is good pressure. any help?
  • jsiesjsies Member Posts: 26
    My light has been on in my 96 for over two years. I live in SW PA. Had the O2 sensor replaced and a couple other things totalling under $200 bucks (had to for PA inspection) and it's still on. I've probably driven 25,000 to 30,000 miles with that light on and no real problems have occurred. Have about 103,000 miles on and hoping for many more.
    Did you pass PA state inspection even with the "Service Engine Soon" light on? I live near Cleveland and I have been told it won't pass OH emissions testing. If it passes PA inspection, I could transfer the title with my Mom who lives in Pittsburgh and register the car under her name. Maybe I could still drive it with a PA plate! The mechanics told me I have a bad cylinder but everything seems to be running fine. Don't know if I'm on borrowed time but the odometer just tripped 116,400 today. Thanks! :)
  • kismitkismit Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Tracker 4 dr, 4 wd. The service engine light came on soon after the speedometer/cruise quit working. The code came up P0500. The dealership gave me a part #30020772 for a vehicle speed sensor. However, no one I contact for this part (as it is $266 at the dealership) can find or cross reference this number. They say it must be a shelf number or something. Can anyone out there help?
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    ok guys and gals. first off i was wondering if anyone could answer a quetion related to what fuses do what. i popped my hood and on the battery side of the tracker there is a fuse box. i opened it and found a 15amp fuse burnt out, it was the fuse closest to the grill. does anyone know what this is? Im going to take a guess and say its for the A/C. ok now two #2 today i bought some a/c recharging can. i had a leak lastyear. but today i found where it leaked from the bolt was extremely loose. so i tightened it and decided to try and recharge it. after i replaced that fuse. i believe something else is wrong. the can will not get cold and the tracker will not pull the coolant from the can. so i took it off the tracker and put it on my other car and that car pulled the stuff from the can and the can gets very cold. i know these trackers are cursed with a A/C problem. but in the past it used to at least pull the stuff from the can. advice and info on what that fuse was that burnt out was for would be greatly appreicated.. thank you

chris
    Go to any RV parts place. They sale the extended mirrors
    Does any one know how to get the glass out? I have the replacement part

Thanks
    Tony
    FYI: about 5 years ago, my wife called me as she was driving the tracker and said the check engine light came on. I told her keep driving, I would look at it when she got home, which was about 60 miles. She got home and it had 80,062 miles on it. It made me sratch my head. Bingo, the light(in my head) went on. I tore into the instrument pod and there it was. (BTW, my tracker is a 91 model, I bet the following are the same). There is a cam in the speedo gears that turns at exactly 80k miles that turns the light on. HA! Convenient way to get you to take the vehicle to the dealer. Check your mileage. See if it didnt come on at that mileage. I also now understand that at 100k some models pop the light on at that time. I know this as I later found out from a GM mechanic that this is the case, besides my physical inspection of the speedometer gear, that this is a easy way for dealerships to replace o2 sensors even when they are fine. There you have it. BTW, I still havent got my fuel problem fixed. think it is the engine computer.
    lmao @ jsies...He's like "screw it...leave it on" lol.
    jsies, you are just about right, sometimes I feel like that. Unfortunately, if you just leave the light on, you cant tell when you do have a problem with the emissions (Which BTW, an the tracker, are few and far between.) Take it to a mechanic, and tell him to reset it. They just use a little tool to turn the cam. Bingo, light goes off. Also, after a bit of searching on the net, found that the engine computers on the 89-94 trackers have bad capacitors in them that after 100k or so go to heck. A very common problem that apparently is easy to fix. I checked a few other things out, and then ordered a rebuilt computer off ebay for $75. hope this fixes it.
    well people, the no fuel from the injector problem has been solved. After doing a bit of looking elsewhere on the net, it appears it is quite well known that the engine computers on the 89-94 trackers and sidekicks are defective. It appears that they have bad capicitors that go to heck somewhere on the north side of 100k. There is quite an industry out there rebuilding the boxes with new capictors. a quick look on ebay finds them for sale, exchange for $75!! with a one year exchange warranty. ordered mine on tuesday, got in priority mail this morning, 30 seconds later the tracker was purring again. DO NOT PAY FOR A NEW COMPUTER!!! This is a very common problem and an easy and cheap fix. Just a FYI out there for anyone out there with a tracker that just up and died on the road. Check you individual FI and Ignition. Bet they are OK...If you smell a burnt smell coming from under the drivers side of the dash...Bingo. Good luck all.
  • 2catfish2catfish Member Posts: 1
    I just noticed your forum, and am quite interested in participating.

I am on my second tracker, 1998 2door 1.6 16valve 2wd. And like most of you, I absolutely love it. My first was a 1991 model when I was a teenager.

A little background on me, currently a Volkswagen master technician, former mitsubishi master technican, former Hyundai master technician. but nooooo chevy or suzuki. I love this little truck due to its simplicity, and the fact that I do not have to turn wrenches much on it on my spare time!

my little tracker just crossed the 60k barrier, and I just installed a timing belt, timing belt tensioner roller, drive belts,and adjusted the valves. other maitnenance includes coolant change, brake fluid flush, plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and brake service (front).

I am using a similar maitenance schedule that VW uses to keep their 2nd and 3rd generation Golf's running properly , and it appears to be working well.

I hope to make my way into this little community, and be a contributing member. I do not know all the little quirks of this tracker yet, but hope to gain some knowledge here, and of course I will reciprocate with some of my knowledge that can be applied here

regards,
    Brian
    Welcome aboard! We're looking forward to your participation in the Forums. If you need any help finding your way around just drop a line to any host.

tidester, host
  • nochevynochevy Member Posts: 8
    I need to replace the Clutch in my Tracker. I don't want to go to the Dealer for Parts. Any Suggestions?
  • tbird_s_ytbird_s_y Member Posts: 5
    I am probably soon buying a 2000 4door 4x4 Tracker with 80k miles on it. It's a 4 cylinder and costs around $7000. I will be the first to admit I really know nothing about cars :) I drive 15-20k miles per year. I'm hoping this car will last me about 6 years. Do you think it is a car that will last up to 200,000 miles with regular maintenance? Also, I have not been able to find a picture anywhere with the back seats folded down. Do they fold completely flat? The price seems pretty fair after looking around at other used Tracker prices in my area. Thanks for any advice.
    Don't buy a TRACKER! It won't get the miles you want. Get a SUZUKI! It will give you the miles! I have always drove Suzuki's , and seen them go over, 3 Hundred Thousand Miles, and still be going with no sign of problems, when I would sell them, to purchase another one. The Tracker won't give you the miles! Parts for the Tracker are mostly Dealer Items. Not so with the Suzuki. The most I ever had to do to a Suzuki was replace the Gas Filter! NO OTHER PROBLEMS! with the Tracker its always something! I have owned both the Suzuki Sidekick and Samurai, and they are GREAT! I thought the Tracker would be the same, and regret the change! I will never own another Tracker! SUZUKI ONLY! Keep looking, and find a Suzuki for the same price that your about to pay for a Tracker! Even if you have to look out of you area, it will be worth your time! Let me know, if you have more questions about the Tracker, or Suzuki.
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    I have a 2001 4dr with the 2.0 4 cylinder with the automatic transmission. It has over 115K on it. To answer your first question their is no reason why a Tracker should not give you 200K with regular maintenance. The 2.0 doesn't have too much power with the automatic and anything over 65 MPH is pushing it. But it does deliver great fuel mileage. I have regularly gotten over 30 MPG with this vehicle on the highway. With the vehicle fully loaded with 5 people, air conditioning running full blast I have never gotten below 25 MPG on the highway. To answer your second question, yes the back seats fold down flat. You just flip the seat cushions up, remove the headrests from the back row seats and it lays down flat. It's very versatile.

Now to respond to the previous post, the Chevrolet Tracker and the Suzuki Grand Vitara are the same vehicle. There are small differences in interior pieces and exterior (grill)but mechanically they are identical. They were manufactured at the same plant in Canada in a joint venture between Suzuki and GM. It is true that many GM dealers don't know their way around a Tracker too well and many Tracker owners take their vehicles to a Suzuki dealer. They share the same engine and transmissions, electrical, 4WD systems, brakes, shocks, etc... I love my Tracker, it takes me everywhere I want to go, just not in a hurry! :) It's easy to work on yourself for normal maintenance. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.
    lmao @ "anywhere i wanna go, just not in a hurry". Yeah, it is a pretty weak motor, huh? lol ..stupid thing can't even get out of it's own way. Anyway, I routinely drive 80-85 MPH, but at that point, I'm gettin like 20-23 MPG highway. lol I don't care...I got the top down, radio thumpin', & I'm cruisin' away. I got 95,000 mi. on my 2000 2dr 4cyl. 2.0, & I love it, even though one of my buddies said it's a "chic car" lmao.
    I have a 1999 Tracker 4x4 5 Speed Power, Air Great Car for the Tracker Lovers, it also has the 2.0 engine, 4cl, and it has power! This is the first time I have owned anything but a Suzuki! I like Suzuki's Best! Say what you want, but the Tracker is NOT to compare to a Suzuki! The Sales-Pitch by Chevy is, the Tracker is the same. WRONG! Unless you have owned both Models to compare the difference like I have, then you won't know the difference. But of course every one has their own preference of cars. I would Trade my Tracker anyday, for a Suzuki! I would even trade for a Suzuki Samuari, and I would take a money-loss on that trade, but I would trade. ANYONE WANT TO TRADE?
    Well, I like Suzuki's too, I've owned 3 or 4 Metro's before I bought the Tracker and they were great cars. The 4 cylinder 2.0 must be a pretty good motor, Suzuki is still using it in the Reno and the Forenza with the same horsepower configuration. Although you express a preference for the Suzuki brand, the Tracker is a Suzuki with a GM nameplate. It has the same engine, transmission, fuel managment system, ignition, brakes, shocks, differentials, glass, doors etc.... My point to the person that wanted to buy a Tracker was that if they would consider buying a Suzuki, then there is no reason not to buy a Tracker. And my previous experience with Suzuki-(Geo Metro's) has been nothing but positive. Here is the hood tag inside my Tracker.
    It's a little blurry and big but the Tracker is all Suzuki.
    Yes, my Tracker has Suzuki Under the hood also. That's beside the point! Next time, I will buy a Suzuki. The Tracker is NOT all Suzuki! I'd like to see a Tracker that will go over 3 Hundred thousand miles and no problems, as one of my Suzuki's did. And the only thing I ever had to replace was the Gas Filter, and Tires. Infact, that's all I ever had to do to my other Suzuki's, along with Air Filters,and to Service them.I've owned Suzuki Samauri's and Suzuki Sidekick, all were 4x4 5 speed, and were Great! My last Suzuki was hit by a Lincoln, the Lincoln had to be Hauled not Towed. I drove my Suzuki, it held up great under impact from the wreck! I don't believe a Tracker would hold up. The Tracker isn't as sturdy built as the Suzuki!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Since the Tracker and Vitara are Twinned Vehicles, there's no reason to think one is built less sturdy than the other.
    Do you have FACTS to prove the Tracker is as strudy Built, as the Suzuki? or just thoughts? I have FACTS! i DON't go by what I hear or read. I go by FACTS! To each their own.
    One fact I know is that if you use the reply button to create your reply then the thread is much easier for all to follow. Try it! :)

tidester, host
    Nochevy, since you have facts that the Tracker is built differently than the Suzuki I would be interested in seeing them. I would find it odd that since the vehicles were built on the same assembly line, have the same frames, sheetmetal, drivetrains, electrical etc.. that when building a Suzuki different components were used. But if you have evidence to support your claim, please enlighten us. The Suzuki does have a different grill, and different cloth in the interior, but if you know of any other differences, let us know.
  • okrafeetokrafeet Member Posts: 14
    Hey folks,

Last time I got my oil changed, they said the cap for the brake fluid was missing. Probably happened the last time I got the oil changed...who knows. Point is, I went to an autoparts store. He said it's a Chevy part and has to be ordered through them. I didn't want to order from our SLIMY Chevy dealer so I said I'd pay extra if he got it.
    With the markup at O'Reilly's Autoparts the cap was STILL cheaper than if I'd gone to the Slimer's dealership. But it was still 50 something dollars. I should have checked junkyards first but sheese.

:cry:
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    It's a pity, but understandable why they took my previous post off the site. Here goes being civil. If, as you claim the Tracker is not as sturdy as the Suzuki product being built on the exact same assembly line. It would mean Suzuki and G.M would have to pay for another government U.S and Canadian certification. Do you have any idea how costly it is for a manufacturer to certify a vehicle for sale in North America? Millions of dollars and many crashed vehicles, certainly more than they would save in building the Tracker to a different safety and body structure. Could you save in the interior trim, gadgets and exterior trim, you bet, but the basic frame and structure of the two, Tracker and Grand Vitara are identical. This is written by a person who has been on a guided tour of the CAMI plant in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada when my 2003 Tracker was being built. Period.
    :P
    Wow, that's spendy :shades:
  • scotterscotter Member Posts: 14
    The compnay I work for in New Jersey, has a sister plant in Ingersoll as well. Back in 2002 the area business's had tours of their facilities and then a goupr question and answer period over lunch.

Anyway I was up there at the time CAMI was giving their tour and I went along and saw the entire operation. The Tracker and Vitara/Grand Vitara are the same vehicle, built with the same parts by the same people. They actually have what they call a change over line, which they take either a Chevy or Suzuki and change it over to the other if need be to fill dealer orders.

They change grills, wheels, seats, badges etc, which takes about 10 minutes, and the vehicle is shipped as the other. Anyway the original poster is trying to force the idea that Japenese is better then american, and honestly some are and some arent. But saying the Tracker isnt the same as the Suzuki is incorrect. By the way the same is true for the Ford Escape and the Mazda Tribute, as well as a host of cars form Chrysler and Mitsubishi.
    I went and test drove the Tracker and liked how it handled. What I DON'T like is that it must have been the base model .. no power locks or windows or roof rack, but at least the a/c works (the a/c in my Sunfire would cost me $1000 to fix, so I said screw it, lol). I'm not so sure I want to pay $7000 for it with 80k miles and little luxury. It is of course also silver and has alot of very obvious touch ups on the hood. Seems to run well, everything under the hood looks good. I definately would want to get it painted because I just can't live with a silver car again lol - I would probably do the cheap way out and get a maaco job, even if I had to get it redone in a few years. I have basically until somebody else looks at the car to decide and I'm going to haggle with the dealer (he's a friend of the family and already has it marked down from the $8k the dealership has it listed for for me, but the KBB value is only $6990 anyway). I am definately in love with the Tracker from the test drive though. I might wait til I can find one at least with a roof rack.
    Just keep looking, You should be able to find a Tracker with reasonable miles with power windows, locks, cruise, etc.. for 7K or under.
    when i had to buy front wheel bearings (alot of 4x4 in water) i went to my chevy dealer and he said to get the oem bearing they had to get them from suzuki along with my rear axle fill plug. the chevy dealer said they had to get them from suzuki.the chevy dealer even said they were suzuki parts. lol and this is from the dealers mouth. the parts guy at the dealership said the only chevy is the badges.. lol how can one be better than the other when both use the EXACT Same parts? im sure he badges dont improve performance of reliabity. so if the chevy dealer says its all suzuki and the parts from the local autoparts show that the suz vitra and the tracker are the same, then how is one better than another? looks up the parts at your local autoparts store. they are the same. under my hood everything is stamped suzuki. I even rode in a vitra everything is even in the same place.

chris
  • n_pn_p Member Posts: 3
    I'm interested in a 1996 4 door 4x4 Tracker with the 5 speed transmission. I will go look it over and test drive it this coming Saturday. The vehicle has 89500 miles on it. In the photos, it appears that the body is in very good condition. The seller is the 3rd owner and the vehicle has a clean CarFax report. He's asking $4300, but said he'd take $3900, and if I decide to buy it, I'll shoot for $3500.

The only deficiency that the current owner noted was a small leak on the oil pan gasket.

Here's my questions:

How hard is it to seal up the oil pan?

Does this 1.6L engine have a timing belt or a chain? Any way to tell if the timing belt has been changed (if it has a belt)?

Anyone care to comment about the pros and cons of this vehicle? (It's just going to be a run-around, beater car. I will occasionally take it out into the logging roads in the Sierras, but I'm not going to abuse it)

So, is $3500 to $3900 a fair price?

Please feel free to share your thoughts.
    Thanks
    Neil
  • rivermonkeyrivermonkey Member Posts: 1
    Neil,
    I just rececntly ran into the same oil pan problem. Mine is a 2000 2.0L and I also found out that in order to change the pan gasket the engine needs to be pulled (or lifted) due to the 4 wheel drive components being mounted under it. The Service rate book shows 4.5 hours. I hope the 1.6L is different but I would check into it before purchase. If you or anyone has an alternative remedy please post it. So far a $10 drip pan is the solution.

Hey, nochevy, coo-coo ~ coo-coo!
    I stopped by the Chevy dealer today and had them look up the info on how to drop the pan. According to their service manuals, you drop the differential to get to the pan.
    i found my oil pan had a little leak, so i took some tools under there too see how the bolts were. they were all pretty loose. tightened them up no more leaks!

chris
  • chevy65chevy65 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Chev Tracker and just love it. I am however experiencing a slight problem ONLY SOMETIMES and that is when I am coming to a stop, my engine wants to stall (and sometimes does) but once I stop it regains its composure and goes back to a normal idle. It happens when I am like only going 10 mph or less and coming to a stop. It runs great and gets great gas mileage the rest of the time. If anyone might know what this might be and could help me that would be great. Thanks
    Well, I bought the 96 Tracker for $3400. It needs tires, timing belt and engine belts. Seems to run fine, the A/C works good, tranny, clutch & 4x4 feels ok. But it does have a couple of things that need immediate attention.

1st is the oil leak!! The worst of it seems to be coming from (what I think is) the crank position sensor. It has a steady drip when the engine is running. I am hoping it just needs an "O" ring. The complete sensor is about 85 bucks!!

2nd is a noise in the rear that follows the speed of the vehicle. I am hoping that new tires eliminate the noise The left rear tire is cupped pretty bad, so maybe thats the noise I hear. If not the tire, the rear end is the next thing to consider. I hope this isn't a :lemon:
    I knew it was too good to be true - thought I found my Tracker. 2000 with 54k miles, roof racks, cruise control (no power locks or windows) and only $6000. Checked out the Carfax report and it was in an accident in 2003 - it says "Accident Reported
    in Middlesex County
    Involving front impact
    It hit another motor vehicle
    Front area primarily damaged
    Vehicle towed"
    Then says for a few days later .. "Frame inspection performed
    after an accident or other incident
    Frame damage reported"

When I looked at the car I did not know to look for this (shoulda checked Carfax before I drove so far to go see it lol..) but we did look at the engine and bumpers and the front bumper looked fine and the grille didn't look 'new' or replaced. My guess is the bumper was replaced. If the grille was, they did a pretty good job.

Not sure why the vehicle would have had to get towed if it was not totaled. It has a clean title so it wasn't totaled. It hasn't crossed state lines either (registration wise).

My boyfriend's 96 Escort was in a small accident and had frame damage and drives fine now. All he did was hit somebody with the front right corner of his bumper and it screwed up the lights and light housing and the bumper.

I don't know if I want the car now though since I don't know alot about the accident it was in. It has only been driven 15,000 miles since the accident according to Carfax. Any suggestions or advice?
  • okrafeetokrafeet Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2000 Tracker that's starting to do the same. If I turn off the A/C switch when I come to a stop light or sign, it resumes the idle although I can tell it may need adjusting. It's not giving a smooth, consistent idle.

I felt that the extreme heat and unbearable humidity here is probably the cause. I'm a photographer for a newspaper and drive alot....so I think my Tracker just gets sick of being outside all day. I know I do.

Have a friend who knows something about cars check the idle. It may just have to have a small adjustment. It's not a big deal, hopefully. Good luck.