Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• mqh123mqh123 Member Posts: 1
    Should I repair my 1999 Chevy/Geo Tracker? It has 113,000 miles on it. A few months ago the engine seized and I'm being quoted about $1500 for a rebuilt engine. The rest of the car seems to be in OK condition - minor rust. Is it worth it to get a rebuilt engine or should I just scrap the car and find another used car?
  • rdm3scurryrdm3scurry Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 geo tracker after driving for a small distance the gears will not shift until the car cools off. Whats happening?
  • lou54lou54 Member Posts: 1
    Thinking of buying a 2000 used chevy tracker with 111,000 miles on it...?? I only drive about 6-7,000 miles a year. Priced at $3900.... 4WD - 4Door.... What should I offer and am I only buying trouble..??
  • jjjonesjjjones Member Posts: 1
    has anybody put 235 70 15 tires on the stock 15x6 tracker wheels? how about 225 70 15 on the same wheels, any problems?
  • blacktracblacktrac Member Posts: 14
    A few months ago I put on Michelin Weatherwise 215/70/15 on the rims and I like them. Their a little wider than the original tires that were on my 2001 tracker(Tiger paws) which lasted me to 81,000 miles! These new tires are rated for 80,000 miles.
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    The stock size of 215/70R15 which are on my Tracker LT with 15x6 rims have to be on of the most common tire out there except perhaps 225/60R16. Practically every mini van and medium car uses these tires, so they're cheap, cheap, cheap. The other two sizes especially the 235 size are not so prevalent and would cost significantly more to buy. I bought a XL-7 that has a 235/60/16 tire, which only two manufacturers make that size, cha-ching! I recently purchase a set of base steel 16x5.5" Vitara rims that will fit the XL-7 for winter with 225/60R16 tires on them, saving me big coin. If money is no object, go with what ever you want. If you want to save money, try to buy a common tire.
  • eod1060eod1060 Member Posts: 1
    My mother owns a 2004 Tracker 6500 miles,they bought it just before my dad passed.At about 4000 miles check engine light went on.I checked it with my machine,a Cat code came up and I brought it to the dealer.Six weeks later we got it back,they replaced one of the Cats.30 to 50 miles later,the Light came back on,same code back to dealer.Two weeks later we got it back with a new O2 sensor,
    30 to 50 miles later,Lights on,same code.MOM insisted on driving the car from Brooklyn to Pa.,Car died,a dealer in Pennsylvania claimed he cleaned the Catylitic Convertor(??).30 to 50 miles later,Light is back on,same code.The car runs fine for a coupla hundred miles after the light goes on,then it starts to lose power.The Bumper to Bumper(engine) Warrantee has expired.Original Dealer wont work on it anymore,claims I abused him,I didnt.I just used the BS word inna polite but very terse question.My Mechanic,who knows these platforms,spent a day onnit.He tells me these 3 Cats are just too small for this engine.Any views on this would be appreciated.Its got me nutz.Im about to weld up some flanges and pipe and replace all the Cats. Thank You
  • inboxinbox Member Posts: 1
    Anyone who has had trouble driving a Tracker is simply a bad driver. I'm from the North (read: snow is normal, not evil) and enjoyed all my Tracker time. I drove through "Cat3 snow emergency" in the hills of West Virginia as easily as driving through normal snow. When snow would be so deep in Ohio, people were getting stuck in the middle of streets, I would drive around town towing larger cars anywhere they needed (free, of course - because we need to be neighbors). Learn to drive in bad conditions and you will have a great time while being the safest car out there. *** DON'T get the cheap tires. Stick with the bigger, factory size. ***
  • 4wdcamper4wdcamper Member Posts: 1
    The 4WD is engaged but the 4WD light blinks about every 10 seconds. I noticed this after finding a small leak at the transfer case drain plug. Is this because of low fluid level?
  • billp5billp5 Member Posts: 12
    Stay away from that seller. Auto Zone has good batteries mfg by Johnson Controls. I am on my second Tracker (1999) now. Basically if it will fit the battery tray and has conventional post, it will work. Most RELIABLE STORES will sell you the correct battery for somewhere between $60 and $90, depending on the warranty and amp power you want.

PS: I have never worked for Auto Zone and have no connection other than as a customer
    NO. At least not for the 1999 two door.

Do an on line search at a parts house, Auto Zone, Advanced, Rock auto parts, etc.,

I believe you will find that the right and left are identical. There is a different mount for the transmission, depending on Auto or Manual.

Suggest you put the vehicle on jack stands and place a wood block on the oil pan. Gently raise it to see which (or all) mount is bad.
  • steveh1155steveh1155 Member Posts: 6
    I know this problem has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a definitive answer for my particular problem. I have a '99 2.0L 4wd & the 4wd light has begun blinking off & on. I can shift into 4wd and the front wheels engage just fine, but I can hear the pump cycle on & off constantly. I followed the rubber air line to where it enters the front differential from the pump & pinched it off at that point and, the pump shuts off and stays off - indicating to me that the pump is able to maintain pressure (or vacuum maybe), so...does this mean I'm in for an expensive rebuild of my front diff? I put sealer on the fill holes thinking maybe that was leaking air - no luck. Can anybody else think of any other reason this pump might constantly cycle on & off? Thanks!
    Motor smooth when in neutral. Idle around 850-900 RPM no vibration. When shifted into gear, R or D sitting still it vibrates. I have put it on jacks and gently jacked both the motor and trans. Mounts look fine, no cracks or torn places. Have
    checked the vacuum an within correct range. Check for vacuum line leaks with throttle body cleaner, no change. Removed and thoroughly cleaned throttle body, slight improvement but NOT fixed.

Anyone have ANY suggestions??

Thanks,

Bill
  • 4x4guy14x4guy1 Member Posts: 1
    My 1990 tracker has minimal heat, The thermostat and gauge work normally, flushed the heater core and was clean and had good flow, but heat is barely enough on a cold day, fan works well,
    Can you find the valve that actually turns the hot water from the radiator into the heat circuit? If you can find try flushing only this valve. I had this problem on a different brand vehicles years ago. Took me forever to find it. The valve would turn off and on but was completely stopped up. If you flushed from where the hose is connected to the hot water on the block back through the hose that returns the water from the heater to the block/radiator, this will not help.

Good luck.
  • lorisanlorisan Member Posts: 3
    this is a well known issue on the Tracker. I just got done replacing mine tonite (about 20 minutes). The part is an electronic part that is located inside the front passenger side bumper. It is secured by two 12mm bolts, has two vacuum lines and and electronic connector. It took care of part of the problem I have (the blinking, and not going into 4WH Drive. The part is available from ( and about $100 cheaper) from a Suzuki dealer rather than a Chevy dealer.
  • lorisanlorisan Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 MY 4WD Tracker. This one has me going. After about 6 miles in 4WD, the vehilce will start pulling to the right. The only way to get it to quit is to throw it into reverse, move about 5 ft and then go forward in 2WD. I replaced the electronic unit that is located in the front bumper, this took care of the blinking light and the intermittent condition of non-engagement of 4WD, but this pulling condition still exists. I previously had a front axle seal leak, that is now fixed. Could it be possible that I have a bad hub?
  • toms1964toms1964 Member Posts: 16
    I am unfamiliar with the 1990 model, but I had a problem with air flow in my '02 Tracker. There is a pair of cabin air filters located behind the glove box. which get very dirty, if left unchecked they can block air flow. These must be replaced, not just taken out. If you take them out without replacing your condensor coil will plug up with dirt, which is an expensive fix. Trust me, I know.
    I've had my Tracker VR2 for 5 years now and love it. Today the rear door (tailgate) latch would not open. The door handle is located directly over the license plate. I've tried to lock/unlock but it just won't budge. Any ideas on how I can open the door and fix this?
  • imcalvinimcalvin Member Posts: 1
    1999 Chevy Tracker 4wd 2.0- Engaged 4wd in the rain, moments later, thumping, clanking, crunching, grinding noise inside front, right wheel. Just after that, right wheel came right off, only held on by the caliper!!!
    Just got the vehicle from out of state, if this had happened on the HWY, I wouldnt be here to post this message!
    Anyway, Jacked it up in the rain, took off wheel, caliper and rotor... Bearings were chewed up into bits and pieces.
    Figured the spindle nut came off inside the hub, but upon checking the left wheel, while everything looked fine, I noticed there wasnt a spindle nut on that side!!!
    If thats how it is supposed to be, then can somebody please tell me what the heck keeps the wheels on???
    FOUND THE VIBRATION PROBLEM.

1. Idling too fast. I removed the throttle body and throughly cleaned (use throttle body cleaner NOT carb cleaner). Do NOT use sharp objects to clean. Use a small brush. I did lubricate the shaft from the outside before re installing it. Slower idle helped but did not cure the problem.

2. Loosen and re-tighten motor and transmission mounts. Place the Tracker on 4 jack stands. Loosen the bolts until there is about 1/8" clearance. Start the motor. put the transmission in gear, both drive and reverse. I ran it in drive at an idle then increases speed a little. I gently applied the brakes. I then put it in reverse and did the same thing. I repeated this a couple of times. This allowed the mounts to "re-seat". I tightened all mount bolts and did a road test and a put it in gear at idle test several times. This took 90% or more of the vibration out. This motor is 4 cylinder and that is OK.
  • jorgedhjorgedh Member Posts: 1
    I have a leak on the driver side of my Chevy Tracker and it only happens when it rains. I have not been able to find the drain plugs. I might have a plugged drain. Does any one know where they are located ???? Any ideas on what is going on ?

Thanks,

Jorge in La Mesa, CA
    I need more info. Where on the drivers side?

1. Around the door?
    2. Around the window?
    3.Under the dash?
    4. 2 door or 4 door, under the top, (if 2 door)?

Now as a guess with no info: There is no drain in any of the side panels. If leaking under the door panels it is possible that trash has come through the window opening (with window down or glass seal damaged) and has filled up the "weep" holes in the bottom of the door., Look under the door to see if they are stopped up. If stopped up remove the door panel and clean out these holes. If the door to glass seal is damaged, replace it.

4. There are some "plugs" in the floor on most vehicles, they are easy to remove to drain the floor (under the carpet) but this does not solve your problem, just keeps it from becoming a swimming pool.

5. Suggest you have someone run water over the door and window openings to help find the leaks. You should be inside looking for the leak. This may or may not work as wind pressure along with the rain may be causing the leaks.
  • little_charlielittle_charlie Member Posts: 3
    Picking up a 1999 Tracker 4door 4wd 4 speed automatic with 2.0L engine in a few days. It is equipped with a 'Power button." I would like to hear from a Tracker owner who has this 'Power Button' in their vehicle how it works, what it really does, and what use is it in everyday driving (i.e. going to Wal-Mart!)

I have the owner's manual but unless I missed it it does not -explain- what it does or even when I might need or want to use it. Thank you
    This is located near the top of the shifter, convenient to your thumb.

This just downshifts one gear, helps to control in places where it would automatically shift up and down. Kind of like taking a car out of overdrive.
    NOT a highway gear if you want gas mileage.
    If the lock does not work (turn) take it to a locksmith. If it does turn and does not open, pull the interior panel off and remove the lock from the inside (at least I think you can do this without opening the gate) then replace of repair the latch.

It may just have the little arm from the lock to the latch broken or out of the hole it should be in. They are secured with a little thing that keeps the rod in the hole. This could break and allow the lock rod to come out, leaving the latch still locked. This can be fixed by removing the interior pane. You would have to get the part from a dealer or a salvage yard., The plastic part is almost identical for a wide variety of cars.
    billp5 is talking about the overdrive button. The Power switch, which is located just to the left of the gear shift handle, when switched on is supposed to delay shifting of the transmission when pulling heavy loads to provide more power. I have this switch on my 2002 Tracker which I have owned for 5 years and have never needed to use it.
    I think -that- button on the gear shift is the overdrive on/off. The button I am asking about is on the shifter console to the left side. It is a rocker type switch with two possible choices 'N' or 'P' as shown in the 99 Tracker owners manual on page 2-17. That same page also shows the overdrive switch on the gear selector that I think you are referring to. The only text the manual has for the "Power Mode Selector' switch is this:
    -----
    When you need more power for climbing hills or
    quicker acceleration, press the P (POWER) switch. The
    POWER indicator light on the instrument panel comes
    on. For normal driving, press the N (NORMAL) switch.
    The POWER indicator light goes off.
    ------

I would like to know what it does to produce more power for hills and acceleration. It is only available on the 4 speed automatic transmission equipped Trackers. I want a detailed explanation of exactly what it does to achieve more 'power'
    Thanks toms1964..I must have missed your reply. I guess that explains it. Once I get my 99 Tracker next week I'll just try it and see. Thx again.
  • steven_ssteven_s Member Posts: 10
    Toms....any luck on that. My rear latch handle has just started not working as well. If I put the key in the back I can lock the doors but when I take it over to unlock it clicks but doesn't actually unlock anything. If I play around I can eventually get it open. Did you go in through the little panel on the inside of the door....if there is one, I haven't had a chance to look.

I've had my 2000 manual four door for about 7 years, pretty solid little unit. A/c died this summer and when the estimate got over $2000.00 I told them to stop adding it up, compresser, dryer, etc. Other then that, pretty happy.
    The latch handle will stick in the up position, so I pulled it down 1st, and then unlock and it works ok. Might just need some WD40 or something
  • immarqimmarq Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 Tracker 4 dr., 4 x 4, automatic. While driving home from a 60 mile round trip I heard a vibrating noise coming from the rear. I was on city streets at the time so I downshifted and the noise stopped. Then it started again after about 5 or 6 blocks. Downshifted again and the noise stopped again. Should this be of big concern or is it just something loose that is vibrating?
    Thanx
    I have a 2000 4 door, manual 4 banger. The check engine light comes on every 4/6 months, code as above. After 30? restarts, light goes out. Is there an agreed apon fix for this, I see people reaming out that little pipe at the back of the valve cover...is that the fix. If I ignore, what happens? Will I break something or reduce gas milage?
    I have a manual 2000 4 door. When I stop at a light, have vehicle out of gear and cluch up, I can hear a spinning, rubbling type noise, if I depress the cluch the noise goes away. Not only does it go away, I can hear the spinning type noise slow down and stop, taking about 5 seconds (like 3 revolutions). This would seem to be a relatively new sound. I get the feeling something isn't totally releasing in the clutch? Don't quote me on that.
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    Please read my post 1748. To get the black cowl cover off to inspect the air intake area; first pop black covers off wiper arms, remove bolt, wiggle wiper arm and remove. Remove plastic pop in clips that hold the rubber stripping and cowl cover on top of fire-wall. There are also four plastic bayonet clips on the end of the cowl cover that require you to press in the middle part to release the plug then pull the plug up and out. The cowl cover is still being held by four white plastic clips that may come out in one piece or not. Like I said in the post they are cheap to replace from Suzuki. If you look into the air intake area on the drivers side you will see the bundle of wires going though this area; on the passenger side of the air intake is where I found the leak and successfully plugged it with silicone III on a long screwdriver.
    Goodluck :)
  • mpdgunnympdgunny Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 02 Tracker LT with the V6 from my grandmother. Everything is in great shape but it has a very loud ticking noise. Almost like a piston is about to shoot from the hood. Its got 89k for miles and the engine was rebuilt once before.
    Is this a common problem for this vehicle? Is it worth it for me to tear it apart and try to fix it or should I start looking for a new engine.
  • coffeecatcoffeecat Member Posts: 7
    Is the noise rpm related or constant?
  • mpdgunnympdgunny Member Posts: 2
    Im going to say yes but not 100% sure.
    Disable the ignition coil to one cylinder at the time and try to isolate the noise.

You may want to a parts house and buy a "mechanics stethoscope" and try it at various positions on the engine while it is running. If you have a store like Harbor Freight near you they are not too expensive (under $5)
  • jackpinebobjackpinebob Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 chev tracker with an unusual cooling system I think a problem. The top radiator hose and top of the radiator is operating temp, hot to the touch. The engine block by the water pump is hot to the touch. The temp gauge goes to the normal operating range(center of the white bar). Heat comes out of the heater. Yet the lower chamber of the radiator and the lower hose is cold to the touch. I have replaced the radiator cap and thermostate. When the coolant was drained it was really clean like new. When you squeeze the lower radiator hose with the cap off coolant will come up through the filler. Have any one of you with this tracker checked to see if yours is the same way or is the lower hose warm to the touch? The cooling system fluid is at the proper level also.
    Sounds like the water pump is not pumping.
  • rdorsettrdorsett Member Posts: 1
    About two weeks ago, I bought a car charger for my cell phone. When I plugged it in, my stereo, cigarette lighter, and my side view mirror adjuster stopped working. I assumed this was a blown fuse. I've changed the fuse twice now and they still don't work. I have a 2004 Tracker. Any ideas?? :confuse:
  • gypsy04967gypsy04967 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a clutch fork for a 2001 chevy tracker and am having a hard time finding one. Does anyone know where i can get one?
    If you can't get one at the Chevy dealer try the Suzuki dealer.
  • jasdoyjasdoy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 tracker 2.0L 4dr 4x4 in desperate need of a new 5spd. manual transmission. I had new bearings put in the old tranny last fall, and barely made it through winter! I would like to find a low milage used or rebuilt tranny somewhere near New Hampshire...any suggestions?
  • cjhimselfcjhimself Member Posts: 3
    I installed a Calmini lowering kit into my 1997 Tracker, and was very pleased with the stability improvement. Does anyone know of a kit, or a way to lower my 2002, 2 door, 4x4, 5 speed.
  • saddledustsaddledust Member Posts: 2
    I'm kinda in the same boat! Had transmission rebuilt and bearings 18 mos ago. Now it is going out again. This time.....why not before? I was told the transmissions for this vehicle is a 70K transmisison and it's gone.

So I'm looking for my 2001 ZR2 4x4.

If you have a handle on any place let me know. They're getting harder to come by. I'm in CA
    I'm about ready to trade it in if parts are getting this difficult. BUT I love it!
    I just purchased a pair of motor mounts on line from- TheAutoPartsShop.com

The price for the motor mounts was the best one on the web and quite a bit less than any local or chain auto parts store. When you install the mounts, tighten them down then back off ALL trans and motor mount bolts (about 2 or 3 turns) until they are not tight. Start the motor, put the car in gear, both forward and reverse several times and rev the motor a little while in gear. This "seats" the mounts and cuts down on the vibration when you tighten them down. Been there, done that..

The motor mounts are the same for right and left. The transmission mount is not the same. DO NOT but a transmission mount from them. They will ship you a three hole mount and the 99 is a four hold mount. I returned the trans mount yesterday.
  • bandanbandan Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 2000 tracker i am trying to find out what codes po455 and po715 means i do not have a manul yet and this tracker did not have the soft top .i need a top at a good price and help with these codes thank for any help
  • tracker03tracker03 Member Posts: 2
    you might try looking at your cam shaft sensor, when they go bad they get hot and at this point they will shut down your engine and they don't leave any type of code and around 15-20min's they cool off and the car will reastart again.