Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander Maintenance and Repair

123457»

Comments

• jaynbayjaynbay Member Posts: 6
    Check the starter. Commanders seem to have a lot of issues with the starter. I have an 06 Limited with the 5.7 Hemi and had the same problems with it not starting. We had the starter replaced and have not had any issues since.
  • lowenivylowenivy Member Posts: 14
    Hi Jaynbay, Thanks for the info... I'll check the starter then and will update you. I hope I could troubleshoot it ASAP.
    Hi Jaynbay, I left the jeep on the driveway for approximately 24 hours with the battery cable untapped. Then it was time for me to call a flatbed for an ICU trip, but before doing so, I installed the battery cables back and tried to switch on the ignition. Lo and behold!!! It cranked just once and surprisingly worked fine. I left the engine running for 4 minutes and shut it off, then re-started it once again and everything went back to normal. Meaning, it wasn't a problem on the starter but maybe on the computer or the wiring to the starter getting sweaty due to hot & humid Summer weather. A friend of mine suggested to replace the battery cable bolt with a quick release system so anytime the jeep won't start, it is just easy to take off the battery cable without any tools, just a flick of your finger. I did replace mine with that and sure it was easy.
    I browsed Ebay for that quick release battery bolt and sells like $22.00. It's on the battery category sold by a seller "mihmasa". It really works.
    I am really worried when will I get stucked again!! Thanks for your advise Jaynbay, It helped me a lot by tinkering the jeep for a while before deciding to call a car doctor. Regards..
    All doors on my '08 Jeep with 42k miles on it squeaks so loud when being opened and closed, sometimes it sounds like a frog croaking. I did everything from greasing the hinges and springs. Cleaned them first with WD40, wiped them clean and applied some grease. It works for 2-3 days and then the squeaking noise comes back. My '95 Honda Passport does not make that sound and never had been greased for 15 years. The weather here in Chicago is hot and humid nowadays, just wondering why. The noise started a year ago and when I park and get off the car, the guy next to me turns around to see what's the squeaking sound and I say I have a mouse in my trunk.
    Here I am once again and for the last time, it will be the end of making comments in this column. After my previous write up here, (especially due to STARTING PROBLEMS FOR 6 TIMES), unplugging the battery with the newly installed quick release clamps, the Jeep Commander (2008 – Sport 4WD - 6cyl.- 42K miles) started without hesitation at first try, but it took 12 hours before it came back to normal, I drove it for two days and it was fine. So all along I thought the problem was just minimal and was relieved of my headaches. We went shopping to a Walmart Store one weekend and parked the Jeep for 2 hours on a parking lot, unfortunately, it did not start again. No cranking, no sound nor click on the hood, just a faint humming sound underneath the front passenger seat, is it the computer or MAP? We got stuck up for 3 long hours waiting for a towing service with flatbed just to get my truck dumped on my driveway. I inquired the tow truck driver how many Jeep Commander he had towed, and the reply was “countless”, and advised us to trade-it-in immediately ‘coz it’s a scrap.
    Again, I disconnected the ground pole of the battery and surprisingly, it started the following day. It’s really so unpredictable.., so it was time again to visit the Jeep “fortune teller” for the fourth time. He checked on the battery and was good (2 month old, I had it replaced thinking it was the problem), checked on the starter, it was cranking. Plugged it to a computer module, and he says no problem at all. Then here comes the fortune telling: The gas I was using might have a higher octane, or the gas cap was not closed properly, or the sub woofer was not well installed. He tried to use my spare key fob and still does not start. After consuming 5 cups of free coffee inside the Jeep dealership and 4 hours of endless waiting, it started once again and the “fortune teller” says nothing is wrong. Yeah, right. My warranty was still enforced. But what about the guy also waiting for his ‘06 Commander being “fixed”? His warranty expired and was very worried of the many parts to be replaced.
    I left the Jeep Dealer in a hurry and without any second thought, I proceeded to another dealer to negotiate a trade-in right away. Comment of the dealer across the street? The Jeep Commander is a JUNK!
    NOW I KNOW WHAT A JEEP IS, THAT IS WHY I NOW DRIVE A 4 RUNNER!!!
    Whew… What a great sigh of relief !!!
    Note to all Prospective Jeep Commander Buyers…”THINK countless times first & check out for NEGATIVE REVIEWS, before you buy it to avoid this worst nightmare that I EVER had”.
  • crj19crj19 Member Posts: 3
    Runners also have many problems! From these forums...

I have a 2007 4 runner. After shutting the vehicle off and letting it sit for a few minutes, when I try and start it, it cranks over and over without starting. When I turn it off and start again, it works. I only have 11,000 miles on it and it is still under warantee.

What the Heck
    My 2010 Toyota 4runner has been to two different dealerships a total of 4b times and I am getting the same [non-permissible content removed] from them.
    Toyota has to know there is a major problem and is covering it up.
    I am about to go to a third party and sue them.

I even gave them the TSB # to correct the problem and they ignored it.
    They have been told to hide the problem.

A 32,000 vehicle should not shift like a tractor

* digg
    * delicious
    * stumbleupon
    * netscape
    * addthis

* Replies to this message: edpol (Sep 16, 2010 3:35 pm)

#216 of 224
    Re: 09 4Runner Trans Problem [edpol] by lee363
    Sep 16, 2010 (2:04 pm)

Replying to: edpol (Jul 05, 2010 9:22 am)
    I have an 09 4Runner. The dealership kept the vehicle overnight to check the transmission fluid. They said it was low and topped it off. The hesitation in shifting diminished significantly but has not gone away entirely.

* digg
    * delicious
    * stumbleupon
    * netscape
    * addthis

#217 of 224
    Re: Same Story Again [sawmecoming] by edpol
    Sep 16, 2010 (3:35 pm)

Replying to: sawmecoming (Sep 16, 2010 11:51 am)
    I agree 100%!! Mine is a May, 2009 4Runner and had what feels like trans problem since day-one! I have been in close contact with my dealership service manager and e-mail her all of the comments I read so she can keep record. I have file a complaint with the national highway assn and Toyota and sent the TSB# also. I got some form letter from Toyota thanking me for my concern. Something has to be done. I was told at one point that, with time, the problem will get better, but that isn't what happened. If anything, it's getting worse. Now it bogs down when I have to accellerate quickly not just when turning a corner, and I can't get out of the way fast enough. This happened to me in heavy Houston traffic the other day, and scared me to death. I guess an accident has to happen before they take serious notice. Please continue to comment on this site about any results you get. I refuse to give up! Like you said, a $32,000 vehicle should run perfectly, period. For them to keep telling me that's just the way they are made, is insulting.
  • mkorponmkorpon Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Jeep Commander (30,000 miles) that has had an ongoing problem. After driving somewhere and you park, then return after doing whatever, it won't start. Battery is good, turn key and dash lights up but no click, nothing... I've had it towed to the dealer 4 times now for repair.

1st time- loose wire
    2nd time-bad connector
    3rd time- starter replaced
    4th time- another bad connection

Anyone else having issues like this? As of now my wife won't drive it anymore due to fear of being stranded with our 2 year old (can't really blame her since it has happened 4 times within the last year). She has been on the phone multiple times with Chrysler with no solution in sight, "It's fixed." they say, I say "Sure it is, see you next month when it breaks down again..."
    Hi there! We have exactly the same issues with our 2008 Commander & it was really a nightmare especially when you have a very important appointment & you're ready to go & tadah...it wont even crank. & you don't know what to do.. When we still had it, we're always anxious to use it 'coz you never know when it will ever start or not. That is why on our last Towing Service backed up by the Towing Driver, saying he had a countless number of Jeep Commanders being towed & you better get rid of it immediately. We never had a second thought & took heed of his advise. On the next day, we right away went to a Car Dealer & finally decided to trade it in for a new car. Well, what do you expect, we had the Jeep towed again just to reach the Dealer. 'coz, as usual., it really won't start. Moreover, we also had a friend working at a Jeep Chrysler Dealer & he said that we made the Best decision ever. Wheww...what a great sigh of relief indeed !.So my advise to you too is.."You better get rid of your 2008 Jeep Commander ASAP or your problem will never end ".
  • mijs0405mijs0405 Member Posts: 2
    Ihave the same problem as yours now, granted my radio did not shorted out until now but had a water leak since the beginning. Of course your's got fixed cuz still under warranty but what else did they tell you about the root cause of the problem?

thanks.
  • coop23coop23 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    I have a 2007 Commander. Bought it used with 8k miles on it. LOVED IT...but now want to get rid of it. The first issue started with the 4WD light. This dashboard comes on and off. Recently, the ABS and traction control light come on at the same time as the 4wd. This happened going over speed bumps...or slowing down. NOW, my car is having brake issues...as if the ABS is no longer functioning. When the car brakes are checked...they are "just fine". there have been 4 recalls about brakes in this year and model...all electronic related. Only one is valid for my particular VIN#. But, my car is clearly having the issues of the other recalls. My point is...the 4wd light was just the begining....give it a year and I guarantee you will have MANY more warning lights come on...then your car will either slow while driving or brakes won't work.
  • coop23coop23 Member Posts: 2
    Oh my goodness. this website is like a support group. I love it! I felt like I had all these issues that I have been describing to the car dealers, that of course you cannot replicate in front of them. And, they look at you like your an idiot! YES! my autoclose on my car windows will reverse too if the sunroof is closing at teh same time. not to mention 8 million other electronic issues. Of course I have to warranty there is only 1 recall for my particular VIN #...which I have already had repaired. I hate my Jeep!
  • itabotitabot Member Posts: 105
    I noticed during rain storm that socked the east coast about a month ago that the foot well of the front passenger side was soaking wet. I noticed this when a handbag ($1,500.00) that I had placed there came back soaking and according to the stockist, destroyed. I thought maybe because this has never happened before that it was just such a uniquely horrible storm and that this was a one time incident. And, a $1,500 bag is nothing compared to what others lost in the storm.

But now it is happening every time that it rains to point that yesterday i got into car and ended up scooping out the water with a cup. Then went to splash car wash had them get as much of the moisture out as they could at a charge of $70.

Has anyone else had problems with windshields on commander. I remember reading someone else did a couple of years ago. I want to know how that leaking windshield was finally totally repaired. Thank you.
    Now having same problem as you did with windshield whistling since 3rd install by SafeLite, and as of the last month, also dashboard leaking. Safelite auto replaced windshield last year after they couldn't rub the window chip out (rock hit car on highway).

Tomorrow will be trip #4 with safelite auto because the water is ending up in the footwell of passenger side.

Safelite's install was obv. a problem from the start - you could see the banding around the window was coming undone prompting me to bring it in 2nd time; 3rd time I brought it in because of whistling sound, and 4th time, tomorrow, I will be bringing it in because of water leaking in.

Please tell me how did you finally get the windshield fixed so that it stopped leaking and stopped whistling? And, if you don't mind, can you tell me which safelite auto did this so that I can tell the NYC location I will be at tomorrow how the windshield eventually was installed correctly?

thank you!
  • jaynbayjaynbay Member Posts: 6
    We had a similar issue with our Commander, but it was due to a leaking sun roof and not the windshield. Every time it rained hard, the passenger floor board would fill with water. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts by the dealer to fix the problem, the dealer had to totally replace the sun roof. Fortunately, it was under warranty. This was just the first of many strange issues we had with our 5.7 limited 4X4. I solved all issues with the vehicle a couple of weeks ago by trading it off for a new Tahoe. I now sleep much better at night. I loved the Jeep when it was functioning properly, but couldn't stand having to constantly worry about what was going to go wrong with it next.
  • kbristol84kbristol84 Member Posts: 1
    heiressmj or anyone else,
    I have this same issue where the amplifier seems to have just "died."
    Is there a replacement amp or do you know what you replaced it with?
    Thanks!
  • cgchriscgchris Member Posts: 1
    So my battery died and couldn't start it so checked the battery and it was bad. I bought a new one, replaced it and started it. I put it in drive stepped on gas peddle and it didn't go. Put it in park and tried to rev the engine and nothing. I replaced the peddle and same problem. I replaced the throttle body and tried to relearn the computer and nothing... So $400 latr and not being able to return the parts because they are electric parts I'm out of ideas. Any have any ideas... I'm tempted to tow it to the dealer and spend what they are gonna charge me to put it on the comPuter.
  • wew1wew1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 commander door pulls pull off door panel
  • gailclaykengailclayken Member Posts: 1
    I have two issues with the commander! Won't start and windshield leaking. Can't wait to unload this piece of crap truck!
  • just_purchasedjust_purchased Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Jeep Commander. I am scared!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    People who aren't having issues don't tend to post. Overall reliability has been pretty good for the '06 - '08 models, according to Identifix.
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    I've had no issues with my 2010 Commander Sport. No visits to the dealer for any quality issues. We love it!
  • commbricommbri Member Posts: 7
    Enjoy! Mine has been happy ever since I replaced every component possible. I would suggest a third party extended warranty when factory's ends. Just in case.
  • taken4aridetaken4aride Member Posts: 10
    2006 3.7, purchased new and only has 35K on it ( I really don't drive much which is probably a good thing). Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am way past leaking windshield, cracked windshield (3 times), whistling windshield, bad blow motor, won't start, will start, won't start, panel lights that come on for no reason (no reason according to the stealership), abismally stained seat coverings, windows that go up and down by themselves, exterior paint that scratches with a fingernail, disappearing antifreeze. I am now up to a transmission that is leaking onto the driveway. Yay for me.
  • crapcommandercrapcommander Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Jeep Commander 4.7L. bought it at Peel Chrysler (Mississauga, Canada). Had tire indicator problem for one tire.... would not indicate tire pressure, took it to dealership and they replaced/recalibrated the sensor $$$.
    As of today I'm having intermittent starting problems...... All the dashboard lights and blower motor turn on when the key is in the ON position but the vehicle just wont start!!! The past few times this has happened, all I would have to do is to wait 24-36 hours and the vehicle would start with no problem??? Although when it does start the blower motor will sporadically turn on and off.... Cant wait for the cold weather to begin. OH yes, almost forgot to mention that since the first month that I've owned the vehicle (3 years) I have had transmission problems...... It seems to take a freakashly long period of time to switch from first to second gear. At times I wonder if my transmission is about to explode?! But when it finally does shift into second, the following gear shifts are effortless??? Brought it back to the dealership twice for this same problem and each time they so called "fixed" the problem it would reoccur a few weeks later. They revised the software the first time and replaced the filter the second time (not covered under warranty). This went on until my extended warranty expired and I dont want to have to use my hard earned money to pay for them to fix and not repair my problem!!! So to this day I truly believe that the only way to resolve my problems is to get rid of the CRAPPY COMMANDER and NEVER, EVER PURCHASE another CHRYSLER VEHICLE EVER AGAIN!!!

Good Luck to all the Commander owners out there.
  • crapcommandercrapcommander Member Posts: 2
    Love your sense of humour!!! I guess if you cant drive it, you might as well laugh about ( at ) it.

Cheers.
  • lkittilalkittila Member Posts: 1
    Okay, so same problems. Start, no start, start, no start. Tire problem, no problem, leaking windsheild, easily scratched paint you name it. I still love the car, I am just angry that no one seems to know what the hell is wrong here. At this moment I finally had mine towed to the dealership after being stuck in a freezing ice box at the gas station. Oh yes, filled her up and then she repayed me by not starting. Same thing will not start, however, all of the other features come on. When I go to turn it off the computer says the transmission is overheated when it is clear that this could not possibly be true. So at this moment I am paying $100 hr. for confused mechanics. Any advice? :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :cry:
  • commbricommbri Member Posts: 7
    Yes, get an aftermarket service contract. We got a good one for 2,500 or so, which will take us through 100k miles. Of course, nothing has gone wrong since the initial slate of troubles, probably because every computer component in the car was replaced. Leather seat is starting to crack on driver's side, though - unacceptable at 50k miles.

Good luck!
  • phansternphanstern Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7L in July. We like it but it could get better gas mileage, we average about 12.7MPG. Have noticed some engine hesitations while going 30-40 MPH and engine at 1-1.5k RPM. Not sure if this is causing the below average mileage or not.

Also, I only read a few posts and noticed alot of engine not starting issues. I wonder if anyone has found that there are some recalls on various Jeep Commanders. One notably for engine stalls. Here's a link.

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/daimler_chrysler/jeep_commander.htm
    I've also replaced many components. Now, today, the radio - the buttons on the bottom of the radio panel - are not functioning. The radio display has been flashing for about 3 years now but I have not had it replaced deciding instead to replace parts that were keeping the jeep from starting, running without talking, etc.

Have you ever had this radio problem? If you did, what was the solution? I'm worried about cost of - not even the repair - but the time it will take the audio repair shop to determine the problem; I haven't been able to find audio repair with jeep commander experience.

Thank you!
  • nicoz123nicoz123 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 06 jeep commander & have been having the same exact problem with the jerking when I reach 60mph. The engine light comes on after it jerks Everytime. My husband is deployed right now so I've taken it to several mahcanic/dealers & no one can seems to find the problem, I get a different solution to whats wrong everywhere I go. Finally my friends husband came home from deployment who is a mechanic and told me it was the transmission. I've been waiting to figure the problem out for some time now, so now the end result... now my transmission completely gave out & I'm basically carless at the moment.
    does anyone else have this problem of the head and brake light covers not fitting well enough so that moisture seeps in? that eventually dries up but as soon as the air is damp, it rains, it snows, etc., the moisture is in there again.

so far it has not impacted the lights working, but given The Chrysler Jeep Commanders 'overall water leak issue' and the eventual results of that, I think that this is a problem that also needs fixing.

so, if anyone else has the same problem and has been able to successfully fix the problem, please share. the independent service stationS that i have gone to regarding the windshield leak tried to reinstall the covers and were not able to remedy the problem; they believe it's an overall autobody defect.
    that lemonauto link looks fantastic. I'm waiting on reply from jeep customer service regarding the sunroof leak, blinking dashboard, cruise control turning on, park assist turning off, etc., if chrysler corporate does not agree to fix these problems at no charge, i am filing suit in February 2012. if owners of other defective commanders are doing so through this lemonauto site i'd like to know.

thank you!
  • wswigwswig Member Posts: 14
    There is alot of owners with the water leaks. If you get any feedback on your
    complaints, let everyond know. If you don't have any luck, we need to
    form a group to get Jeep to fix these design problems.
  • eagle554eagle554 Member Posts: 2
    Count me in
  • eagle554eagle554 Member Posts: 2
    Count me in for a lawsuit.
  • cynthia619cynthia619 Member Posts: 1
    I feel your pain!!!!!! My 2006 Jeep Commander has been nothing but problems! Lets see, I have replaced the battery twice, I had to have the sensors replaced because my truck gears would light up and would go into nuetral while driving. The belt fell off one time while driving and I ending up pushing the truck off the road while my kids where in the truck! When it rains it sounds like a water fall inside my truck! I have had my tranmission worked on several times! My warrany expired April 2011 and conveniently my engine goes out and not to forget that my tranmission is leaking AGAIN! I hired a lawyer in October 2011. I had to buy another vechile while still making payments on my Jeep Commander. I had to settle on a payment from Chrysler for $2,000!!! Their first offer was $750.00!!! So, now I have to buy a engine quoted at 3,000 and this is not including labor.... Chrysler said they would not pay anything more since my truck has 82,000 miles on it.
    Thanks for sharing: it's not the best news that the Jeep Chrysler Settlement only = $2k but it gives me something to work with; I think that going after Chrysler is a waste of time, and my time is worth $. That said, once there is a fatal accident documented to be a result of Jeep Commanders' manufacturer's defects, then going after Jeep Chrysler will be worth it. I hope it doesn't come to that; apparently, Jeep Chrysler doesn't care if it comes to that, i.e., it will make it's money, save its money, and bury it's head in the sand until that day comes.
  • fatjack1fatjack1 Member Posts: 1
    The dealer price for 60k Service in Fairfield County, CT is about $1300! In round numbers:

Oil, filter: $50
    Tune up/plugs, PCV valve: $450
    4WD Service (transfer case, tranny, differentials): $550
    Coolant flush and thermostat: $250

Does anybody know of a reputable indendent garage in Danbury/Wilton area that might save me some $$$?
    BP/Getty in Wilton; Mike is the owner, and ask for Tom. I only let Tom work on this car. He is a genuine Jeep enthusiast, and, he is way ahead of the curve in understanding how to rehab these Commanders. Their prices are not low and they are not high, i.e., they are just right. What's more: their integrity makes up for Chrysler-Jeep Corporate's lack of the same. Also, they give you estimates for free which is not something that the Jeep dealer is willing to do (the dealer will charge to research a problem and to remedy a problem even if their remedy proves to be incorrect whereas this service station would not do that).

I'm so grateful to this shop for their work that I joke about removing the hood letters 'JEEP' and replacing it with 'TOM & MIKE'
    drain clogged. It's common problem in most Chryslers.
  • 2006comm2006comm Member Posts: 1
    we had the water leak and after 4 times in they fixed it.....but now a front control module...which they again fixed but needed a new battery because of it, also 3 other problems with wiring a harness and 2 other modules...are they all connected they want me to pay out of pocket for the others ..my car only has 64,000 on the 70,000 warranty but will only cover the fcm.....shouldnt they cover all the damage since one could have caused all this??
  • rosemdrosemd Member Posts: 1
    We bought our jeep commander new in 2006 to use for travelling. It's been garaged it's entire life, we drive it only for trips, no hauling (don't even have a hitch). At 12,000 miles we had a puddle of oil under the car and had to have the pinion seal replaced (covered under warranty). Then @ ~40,000 miles the rear pinion bearing went bad (we suspect that they over-torqued it when they replaced the seal), but they wouldn't cover it. That cost $1200. Then 3 weeks later there was differential fluid on the rear driver side tire....... the hub was leaking. They said it wasn't related to the replacement of the pinion bearing, but, of course it was. After arguing and threatening legal action, they fixed it for the cost of parts ($300). We have the replaced hub and it is fine... the o-ring was damaged (a $2.00 part). The day after we got it back from having the hub replaced, the pinion bearing was making an awful sound, so we took it back and they replaced it again. Now 2 weeks later, the "whining" sound is back....... This is so frustrating! Has anyone else had problems with the rear end?
  • 4te4te Member Posts: 1
    I want to thank you any everyone else for posting their concerns. I am having similar issues too. As a result, I've replaced a battery and a starter. The lights are flicking on and off over the seats and on the dash. My 06 Jeep Commander recently shut down at a gas station. It would not take a jump. So, I had to have it towed back home. I recently had a diagnostic done at the dealer. So, I called them to ask why did they think I was having this problem. They said "it's a common problem. Sometimes the wires in the starter get rusty. It's a easy fix. It will cost about $400.00. After that, my husband wanted to attempted to start it again to avoid the cost of a tow. It started right up. Like there was never a problem. Now I don't believe it is the starter. I think it is the same problem other owner are having with the front cont module. I am really afraid to drive this truck. Also, listed as a issue on my diagnostic results. The transmission software needs to be reprogrammed for over $800.00. I think the 6/ 3.7 engines should be included in the recall for this too.
  • kendall69kendall69 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2006 Commander with 108K miles on it and very few problems. In fact I took in in today for an oil change and asked when I should change the spark plugs. The service rep said 30K miles. I sad I have 108K miles and still have the original plugs. I had (1) AC fan go out, replaced with a $30.00 unit from Amazon. Also replaced brakes, wiper blades, tires, fluid changes, battery - that's it. Original belts, plugs, and everything else still original. Bought it when my daughter was 9 years old, and she will soon be getting it as her car. The car is built like a tank so I feel safe giving it to a new driver.
    Just thought some good news on the Commander, as most here have problems. I guess people that don't have issues don't take time to praise a vehicle.
  • avicensavicens Member Posts: 1
    I too have the same exact problem. I also have a 2006 jeep commander. Did you ever find out what was the problem??
    there is a safety recall the core problem of which I think is the core problem of our most pressing Jeep Commander safety concerns, i.e., those related to the Jeep moving. (I do not think this safety recall has anything to do with the blinking and heating up of the dashboard).

If you have not received the notice you should call Chrysler-Jeep and see if your vin qualifies. it's for transfer case actuator. the notice - if I am reading correctly - states that Chrysler Jeep tried to get the software manufacturer to provide permanent remedy but still the permanent remedy is not available so Chrysler Jeep is - free of charge (parts and labor) - I guess until the permanent remedy is available?!? - asking us to come in and they will do what they can?

In meantime, it sounds like this was reason car would shift inadvertently.

I'm hesitant to bring it into Jeep however because everytime I have brought it in for a recall I don't get 20 miles without having to have it towed back in for something to be repaired for a $-charge...
  • skip2014skip2014 Member Posts: 7
    Jeep had a recall called an --:> N-23 <:-- I don't know what hat was all about but it was a re-program of a computer. Drivers are finding that their 4 wheel drive low on the Quadra-Drive II transmission stopped working ... EASY FIX. And there is a U-Tube video on this too.

Under the hood~driver's side is a fuse box. Find fuse location #25 and remove the 20 amp fuse. Start the jeep and put it in 'N' and pull up the 4wd Tee handle ... you will get the " Service 4 Wheel Drive " lite. Shut her down ... re install the 20 amp fuse and start it up again. Find 'N' and pull up the handle ... she'll slip into FWD Low flawlessly, over and over again. You just reprogrammed the computer. Don't let the dealer tell you differently.