Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• martinellismartinellis Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I have had a Commander (5.7 Hemi) since December last Year. Been in and out of the dealerships over the past 4 Months, in most cases for weeks sometimes. Problems ranging from Power Steering Failure in the first 2 weeks, Transmission Problems that they fail to acknowledge, ESP, Problems, Numerous computer problems, Seat Memory Problems, I have a file over an inch think! - Daimler Chrysler refuses to buy back this piece of CRAP. Going to arbitration here in Canada. I had a Jeep Cherokee Limited for 10 Years and never had any major problems!

My advice - Stay away from Jeep Commanders. Period! :mad: :mad:
  • qaqoonqaqoon Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    Just got a 2006 commander 5.7 Hemi. 5 days and some rain, and the car in the shop for water leaks on both ends of the car. Took it in, the dealership refused to change the carpet even though it was soaked (they vacuumed, opened the doors and let the air out!!!!). A week later it rained again and it leaked again. Today the car is in the shop. Very disappointed. On the bright side, this time the dealer agreed to change the carpet - Great! Called Chrysler, they advised me to read the 'lemon laws' in the state of Virginia!!! Not good. 44k down the drain.

Shame on Chrysler.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Well, the good news is that they gave you (or at least they should have given you) a book with the lemon laws for all the states when you bought the Commander.

I had a small leak that just got fixed (keeping fingers crossed) today. The dealer said they tested and found a leak around the windshield. They sealed that and tested again, and there was no leak. We'll see how this holds up.
  • sonealsoneal Member Posts: 4
    I too recently purchased a 2006 Jeep Commander and am hearing the same whistling noise. It happens at 60+ speeds, and doesn't occur all of the time. I do not have the roof rack cross bars so it can't be that. This is very annoying, and suggestions?
  • rwcommanderrwcommander Member Posts: 3
    I too had a whistling noise, except mine was a perfect harmonic tone noise. If you press on your windhield behind the mirror, does it get higher? Mine did. Turns out Jeep (in thier non-wind tunnel tested commander) put a gasket on the top of the windshield that has a little grove in it. Seems that at various speeds it acts just like you are blowing across the top of a bottle. (at least that is the way mine did) I took it back, they lied and said they had to take my windshield out, yadda yadda yadda...no you don't...just replace and re-glue the gasket and it is ok...This should be a TSB and they should re-design the gasket with a smooth exterior. Also, in a quick fix, I bought a $3.97 of clear silicone bathtub caulk and placed a tiny bead of caulk in the crack in the gasket...Voila...it solved the problem. No I was not happy with putting tub and tile caulk on my 45K vehicle and I expressed that to the service writer...he wanted to blame ME for the problem. Later when they lied about getting my windshield out they complained that they had trouble getting the windshield out because of the caulk I put on the car to stop the noise...this was total crapola!!! they didn't even take the windshield out...but because my wife took the car in and I had STUPID tattoed on my forhead when I challeneged them on such nonsense...I guess they all chuckled at their idiotic creativity. Yes we consumer car buyers are real idiots...especially at Chrysler! Customer Service??? What's that? Oh..and I am suing Chrysler Financial for screwing up my credit because they had erroneously added to their computer that I filed bankruptcy...Nope I've never filed bankruptcy before in my life...and it appears nowhere in my other credit reports...Yep they are going to get to pay off my new car! I don't play. Good luck with the whistle...

Remember...it requires an PHD level engineer to build 'em and a less than high school educated nuthead to keep them on the road...what a country! :mad:
    RW commander
    I will try and see if it gets worse if I press on the windshield. Did you place the caulk on the outside of the glass or the inside? I haven't looked to see where the gasket is located yet, I assume on the outside. Thanks for your advice.
    Ok...Got Harmonic noise fixed...same gasket...new glue, bath and tub caulk gone...seems to be without noise this time. I imagine they changed the angle of the gasket so no noise.

NEW PROBLEM... Engine light just came on with no reason. I read the book...seems that it can happen if gas is questionable...I added premium to the tune of 3.00 per Gal.

Anyone have this problem? Any ideas? Please respond! :P
    I placed the caulk on the outside in the little crack/channel across the top gasket at the crown of the windshield...in front of the rear view mirror. Hope it helps. RW
    So did you end up getting a whole new gasket put on from the dealer? Seems every time I take mine to get it checked at the dealer it doesn't perform the annoying "whistle" for them on the test drive. Did you put the caulk all the way across the crack the length of the whole windshield or just behind the mirror? I haven't noticed mine getting any worse if I press on the glass behind the mirror. Don't know anything about the engine light thing, but my air conditioning light blinks on and off occasionally. I have only had this thing 2 months, I hope this is not the beginning of more problems to come. :cry:
  • commandersuckscommandersucks Member Posts: 5
    I just bought the Commander with the Hemi. I get about 10 mpg. It has 400 miles on it. People say after the break in period I should get better. How long is break in. I don't expect to get great mileage but is should be better than 10mpg.
  • mbeverlymbeverly Member Posts: 2
    I also have a Hemi and mine got around 10 when new. I now have about 3000 miles and I am getting 16 around town and 18 on the highway.
    I bought my Khaki Hemi on 4/27 and on the the Atlantic City Expressway I moved my right foot and the JEEP stalled. I, too bumped the keys. Turned the car on again and I am careful of not hit the ignition. Maybe this is why the JEEP stalls on everyone. I have about 450 miles on it now. Besides the gas it has been great.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Are you carrying a lot of other keys or stuff on the same chain with your Jeep fob?

Steve, Host
    about 4 0r 5 other keys. I think that the key itself is rather long and sticks out far. I just moved my seat back a litte and everything is fine for now
  • charlandcharland Member Posts: 1
    I just had this problem tonight... immediately after filling up. This makes me think it was the gas (I filled up with a brand I haven't ever used). Did putting a couple rounds of premium in make the light go off?
  • dreichertdreichert Member Posts: 1
    I have been experiencing problems with my new Commander. We purchased the V8 Hemi - Limited in March 2006 and after only 2000 miles problems started with what seems to be the transmission. The problem happens when the car passes 60mph, and violently jerks back which causes a deceleration of about 10mph. After that it continues on just fine. This had happened 3 times in 20 min. on our first road trip. I was driving with my husband, who had not felt the problem as of yet and he thought I jammed on the brakes or someone rear ended us. The dog in the back even fell over. We immediately took it to the dealer and of coarse we could not replicate the problem, but thankfully the computer had stored the problem. They claimed that they identified the problem was in the transmission and how it regulates the trans. fluid. They ordered the "Star" Chrysler part, the valve body and replaced both transmission filters and a week later we had our Commander back. Well, a week after that, sure enough the problem is back. This time it jerked at 40mph then at 60mph, then the check engine light went on. I immediately thought of the Multi-Displacement system which at 40-60mph runs on 4 cylinders. Just seems to be a coincidence that the problem happens at these speeds. Again we took it to the dealer and so far they have had the car for a week. They are keeping us informed with all of the parts they are replacing and just now updated that they are going to replace the transmission. At this point there is nothing much to do, but trust that this will fix the problem. I LOVE everything else about the Commander. I wanted to post this problem and was wondering if there are any others out there that are experiencing anything similiar. Sorry for the book!
  • jeepburnjeepburn Member Posts: 1
    When we stop after driving on the highway, there is a strong odor of smoke inside the vehicle. When we drive the Commander a long distance, the smell gets worse and people outside our vehicle have commented that it smells like our vehicle is on fire. The dealership does not know what is wrong, but is trying to figure it out. It is not burning or losing oil, transmission fluid, or radiator fluid. It smells like electrical wires that are getting too hot. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • jeepcmdrjeepcmdr Member Posts: 6
    Was the seat warmer on? I've noticed an odor (from heated wires) when the seat warmer is on for an extended time. It's hasn't been so bad that others outside the vehicle comment.
  • nandelnandel Member Posts: 1
    Bought new Jeep Commander from Maroone on rainy day. After having the car for 12 hours the floors were soaked from the bottom up through the mats. This shorted out the radio. Returned the car to the dealership in AM and demanded a new one. Other commanders on the lot had other issues. Radio not working and window seals coming off. After getting our money back the salesperson/idiot said that Jeep has been having some leaking problems in certain models (U packages). Most likely coming from the sunroff tracking down into the floors including backseats. This is the best thing that could have happen. Went and bought Honda Pilot Ex. Love it. Look at Honda's forum for complaints. Rarely any major like the Commander. ">
    I was wondering to get feedback on what people have been getting on mileage. I have the 5.7 HEMI with quadra-trac 2. Please help me. I have about 1000 miles on it and average 10.5 miles. People say it should get better over time but how long. Thanks.
  • jeepcreeperjeepcreeper Member Posts: 18
    Just bought a new Commander- 4.7L - 2 weeks ago.I have been reading about the problems some owners are having with their -new wheels- and must say, it is enough to scare the stripes off a tiger! So far no problems encountered with mine, but will let you know if there is.When the engine is cold the tranny was sluggish a few times right off the mark, but the manual advises this is normal and to wait a few sec. arter putting it in gear before driving off, & that took care of that.Happy motoring.">
  • ngilbertsonngilbertson Member Posts: 5
    My '06 Commander has the Hemi and all the bells and whistles. The Gas mileage in the city if around 6 to 9 highway around 15 to 16. I could live with all that business, BUT, this weekend while driving to Galveston, it just shut down, or off. No electric at all. I was going about 35 mph, barely steered it to the side of the road. After stopping, it did restart.

I cannot and will not put my kids back in that car. We paid $130 to have it towed back to River Oaks Jeep in Houston. The service person I spoke with said "Oh yes, we have another one here that did the same thing. We have not been able to determine the problem."

Nice huh ....
  • ngilbertsonngilbertson Member Posts: 5
    Your lucky, I get around 6 to 8 mpg city. Plus now I have electrical problems. The vehicle just stalled out Friday, in the middle of the road. No steering or brakes.
  • tradewindtradewind Member Posts: 1
    I also have paint defects on my new 2006 Commander. Dealer wants to spray them at the body shop.

The body shop spray job will never be as good as the factory paint. This will reduce the value of the truck. Why should I take a loss for bad quality control at the factory.

Hope Chrysler will resolve this and order me a new truck.
  • ttibbalsttibbals Member Posts: 2
    Hello, my wife and I just leased an 06 hemi commander. We have had the truck for less than a week and we are having some issues with the seat memory. The display reads "memory disabled." It is also not performing the ease of entry/exit feature where the seat moves in and out when car turned off and on. The dealer cannot find any issue (code) in the system that is indicating a failure. Any suggestions? On a side note I always swore to myself that I would not buy a car the first year on the market...so the manufacturer can work out the kinks..I am beginning to kick myself for not following that rule.

HELP ME!!!!
    Don't kick too hard. Other people are also experiencing problems with their new wheels, and last year models. Check out the threads for Ford Explorers, or Honda Pilots and even the supposedly perfect Toyota Highlander and 4Runner. Besides, if you're leasing it you can always turn it back in at lease end and move on.I don't have memory seats in my Commander but it is likley that at some point the memory has to be 'enabled'.
  • lmyers92123lmyers92123 Member Posts: 21
    You can find the current TSB's at this website, for the commander. Several of the threads are addressed.
    http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm
  • ttibbalsttibbals Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the info... I will pass this onto the dealer...apparently they are clueless as they do not know of anything about these issues
  • reo2reo2 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2006 Commander 3.7 V6 yesterday. Test drove it and it was fine yesterday. Today we took it for a drive and there is a very loud constant whistling noise coming from the front. I have no luggage rack bars going across and have read all the comments about the crack/channel across the top gasket at the crown of the windshield in front of the rear view mirror. I don't understand...there is no gasket I can see on the outside. Is this sealant needed on the "inside" of the windshield or just place it in the windshield frame on the outside in that area? Help.
    I had the same problem and fixeds it myself. The rubber seal at the top of the window on the outside (it is black) has a channel like a ditch all the way across the top of the window, I put a clear caulk in this channel all the way across the window and haven't heard the noise since. If you don't have this channel then I don't know what to tell you, Good luck.
  • ed108ed108 Member Posts: 39
    This has happened to me a couple of times...scared the **** outta me the first time.
  • hhubbardhhubbard Member Posts: 1
    On yesterday, I had told a local dealer to find a gray limited Commander with Hemi, etc. for me..that is until I read the messages about stalling and the water leaks last night. Now I am very leary about ordering. Does anyone know any new information about the stalling problem or the leaks? I haven't found a TBS on the stalling problem. Asking my dealer might be like asking the "fox to watch the hen house" I have since looked at an MDX- solid but not as unique or as exciting as the Commander ...Help!
    I've had my new Jeep commander now for six (6) days. On day 2, I had to take it to the dealer because of of a whistle noise (very loud at time) at speeds of more than 60 mph. I made them ride with me so they could not put "could not duplicate problem" and they heard it. Found out the sealant was not done properly on the front window at the top. They completely resealed the front window and it's fine now. Was upset though that even with an extended contract purchased, they were not at all willing to compensate me for a rental with my Commander being less than 24 hours purchased.
    Stalling issues might have something to do with accidently contacting the ignition key with a knee or hand. The leaks involve adding some sealant or rerouting a drain hose.As to which vehicle to purchase, using a little comman sence usually provides a satisfactory answer. Do you like the MDX as much as the Commander? Do you expect the MDX to be trouble free, and if it isn't will you be dissapointed with your purchase? If it were to be trouble free, would that keep you from being bored with your new vehicle? Anyway, check the MDX threads to see if you are willing to deal with some of the issues related to this vehicle. Whatever you buy, you're all in when you do, so just have the attitude you are going to enjoy it and that's that.
  • stevebtmstevebtm Member Posts: 1
    I purchased our Commander about a month ago and after one day of good rain here in Florida; I too have water on floor board everywhere. Especially where the seats are bolted to the floor.

Car is in the shop now and I hope they replace the pad carpet and seal the apparent leaking windshield. Any one know where I should go from here? Leasing car.
    There is obviously a problem with the front windshield on Commanders because I had mine less than 1 day and it was whistling so loud, I could not drive it over 60 mph. After researching this, I took it to the dealer and advised them others have found the sealant to not be on the top of the windshield where the strip goes across. They took my windshield out, put lots of sealant across the top and now everything is ok. that might be the problem. good luck.
  • doug33doug33 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchesed a new commander base w/ a v8
    When the rear windows are down I get a thuming/vibrating noise.It is not loud but it does shake the wax in your ears.I also noticed the front seat (empty) will vibrate.
    Anyone else have this problem.
    Thanks
  • hemicommanderhemicommander Member Posts: 1
    :sick: Hey all,

I have the following issues with my JC 4x4 w/HEMI.

1: Fails to start on the first hit of the ignition switch. I have mentioned this to the service mgr and he said, of course "we cannot duplicate that". Well, happened again this morning. Anyone aware of a TSB regarding this issue?

2: I am experiancing a hard shift into 3rd gear and also what seems to be a jolting or tugging while driving. DOes not seem to matter at what speed as I feel it at 40, 55 or 70. - Anyone else have this happening?

I take the JC in on Thursday and want to have my case ready.

Also need them to work on the auto-up reversal issue on the passanger window, a leak that developed due to what I assume is a busted hose for the rear window washer - washer fluid leaks from the driver side grab handle screw holes, a paint blemish, the outside temp still not reading correctly and a loud wind noise from the sun roof ...
    ohhh...they have already had to repair the tranny due to the torque converter dropping out of place ..

Any advise from fellow Hemi Commander owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Chad
    This helicopter sound is caused by the incoming rush of air that gets trapped inside the vehicle. Adjusting the window openings so the air can escape will improve the sound. Move the seat positions till it doesn't vibrate.
  • doug33doug33 Member Posts: 5
    I understand the cause.
    It seems to me that I am sitting right where the the air inside collides w/ the air coming in from the outside.
    Moving the seat does not help. Has anyone installed ventshades on their windows yet?
  • tgretztgretz Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem--it seems the small plastic piece that runs along the top of the windshield causes the noise. It looks like a small gutter----just fill it with clear caulk and the noise goes away. It was a high pitched noise that occured at speeds 60 mph to 75 mph. I talked to the dealer today and they tell me I was the only one with the problem.
    Good luck fill the gutter yourself it's not worth going to the dealer!!!!
  • lmyers92123lmyers92123 Member Posts: 21
    I would also report this to the NTSB. This is a serious safety issue. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Let the service manager know you have reported it. DCX has a real liability issue if something happens
  • jeeptonkatoyjeeptonkatoy Member Posts: 3
    I have the wind noise as well. they have put in a new windshield, played with roof rack and something else. It isn't only my outside whistle my ac whistles aswell. which i have heard is another problem they no about . They have had my jeep in three times for these two problems and haven't been able to fix either one. So thanks for the heads up. Other than that i love my jeep commander and so does my wife and two boy' s.
  • ed108ed108 Member Posts: 39
    I have this problem myself still, but I have noticed that it only happens during the day at very high temps, ie 100+ degrees AND when hitting 40MPH.

I keep meaning to take it to the dealer, I just don't have the time right now.
  • chboccachbocca Member Posts: 4
    It was a hassle (see my previous post), but the green electric brake wire is there (see www.WKjeeps.com). It is buried up inside frame...under driver side dash, where hood latch is, left side. Once we located the wire, dealer did nice job installing my Tekonshak controller. Charged $108.51, including tax.
    Did this problem get resolved? I too am experiencing an intermittent "Service 4WD System" warning light. Comes on when we are driving normally on freeway. Just comes on, ding sounds, then warning light goes off. Does not seem to be affecting anything, but causes concern. Plan on taking in to dealer.
    I am experiencing brake vibration accompanined with steering wheel shimmy when going downhill on mountain roads...nothing too steep, not driving fast...in regular drive mode, not 4WD...but really terrible shaking. On level, normal driving, brakes work fine, smooth. Seems like brakes are being applied out of sync, between left and right...creating the pulsating vibration. Worried has something to do with ABS (Anti-lock Brake System). Wondering too if could also be related to the TCS (Traction Control System), BAS (Brake Assist System) or the ESP (Electronic Stability Program). Have taking into dealer once, but since they could not duplicate the problem (need mountain road!), they could not address. Will be taking back in but would appreciate any other feedback on this issue. Thanks.
  • chrisfont23chrisfont23 Member Posts: 2
    I just got the "wind noise" - aka train whistle - fixed. It is the small plastic piece that runs along the top of the windshield. I brought it to the dealer, they did something and gave me the wrong receipt so I can't even tell you what they fixed. Anyway, this plastic piece was taped for 24 hours so I am sure they filled it or replaced the piece.

If you are on Long Island in NY, go to Smithaven Auto Group - http://www.smithaven.com/en_US/ - they know the drill. :surprise:
  • ingridluvingridluv Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems with their Commander cutting off while driving and the air-conditioing rattling and blowing out hot air?? I bought my Commander at County Wide Chrysler in Garden Grove, CA.. I called the service department and was told to bring the Jeep in during the morning and leave it (I do work). They would not accommodate me with a loaner car. I called Chrysler and did not receive any help from them as well..I then called the dealership and was told that the general manager was out for the week. When I asked for the manager in charge, the receptionist told me he was out to lunch. I asked for his name and she said "I was told not to give you his name". I became very angry....
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to share that story in Customer Service: The good, the bad and the ugly!. :)

tidester, host