Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra vs Dodge Ram

Comments

• morganvmorganv Member Posts: 49
    lived in NC for a while. i don't think you get the snow that we do in new york. plus they use a lot of salt up here on t he roads in the winter time.

morgan
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    My mistake. I think I was confusing those who put 6 quarts of Amsoil in their Duramax. ;)

Regardless it's a lot cheaper ;)

Rocky
  • jreaganjreagan Member Posts: 285
    I live in Minnesota. Land of 10,000 Salt trucks. My GM's have never had premature rust. My 1989 did not start showing any rust until about 2000 when I got my new one and my 2000 is still like brand new. Not a scratch, ding OR a single speck of rust. Of course, I take care of my stuff. Dodge's are the worst of the big 3 for rust, and Toyota is the worst of any vehicles. Come drive on our freeways and you will see for yourself.
    ROTFLMAO ;)

Rocky
    well, of course. i'm sure minnesota is going to be worse than new york for salt, but around here in my experience the GMs gett rusty sooner. And something tells me the anti dodge stories are going to be deeper than minnesota snow.

morgan
    My father has a 1998' Silverado Z-71 with over 250K on it. He has Zero rust. I guess all vehicles will rus if one never washes them. Maybe the story's of the Chevy's rusting is one where the owner never washed it ? Obviously the Dodges are getting a few more baths but that won't help when the body's panels are falling off. :P J/K

I did buy a 96' Dodge Ram a couple of summers ago. I think we've put 5-6K on it. I do like dodges but this truck sure has nickled and dime us to death. Hopefully once it gets all the way fixed I will not have to worry about fixing it again it for a long-time. ;)

Rocky
    And something tells me the anti dodge stories are going to be deeper than minnesota snow.
    Huh?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Morgan, Morgan, Morgan. How dare you see things differently than the self-perpetuated myth of GM superiority. You are not supposed to criticize GM products. It's heresy. It just can't be true that something else is as good or better.

You know, if that company was as perfect as GM worshippers try to imply with their anecdota reports of perfect machinery, why are they in so much trouble? As Toyota keeps creeping forward, GM will have their hardcore buyers...for a while.

Dusty
    GM perfect? Not by a long shot, but still light years ahead of Toyota. Toyota would LOVE to be where GM is at in the truck segment. But, it'll never happen, GM has gotten there "stuff" together and will keep getting better.
    You know, if that company was as perfect as GM worshippers try to imply with their anecdota reports of perfect machinery, why are they in so much trouble? As Toyota keeps creeping forward, GM will have their hardcore buyers...for a while.

Where is Dodge at now ? What 5th when they use to be #3 less than a decade ago. :surprise: If this keeps up Hyundai and Nissan will make them 8th :P

#1 GM

#2 Toyota

#3 Ford

#4 Honda

#5 DCX

Rocky
    First, give me evidence that Honda is now number four. Don't think so. But regardless, does the loss of market share indicate product quality? If so, how much market share has GM lost in 30 years? It may mean poor(er) management or limited product, but it does not necessarily mean anything else.

Why is sales position seem so important to Chevy truck lovers?

"I guess all vehicles will rus if one never washes them. Maybe the story's of the Chevy's rusting is one where the owner never washed it ? Obviously the Dodges are getting a few more baths but that won't help when the body's panels are falling off."

Ya know, that must explain it! All those rusty Chevies got poor treatment. Yes, that's it! Those darn ole Dodge, Ford, and Toyota owners must be out there at midnight every night washing all that salt and grud off.

Something tells me that this paltry theory won't work the other way 'round to explain any faults with a Dodge, Ford, Toyota, Nissan or any other truck, for that matter.
  • coontie57coontie57 Member Posts: 128
    I have seen enough rusty TOY cars ... give it up..

Reclaimed spam cans rust too.
    Finally someone comes to but this arguement to bed. ;)

Rocky
    Not much of an argument. To think GM's rust quicker than the other's is just plain ignorant. GM treats there sheetmetal (dipping, galvanized box panels, etc) and the other's don't.
    Toyota's are the WORST when it comes to rust, ok, maybe Honda's are a little worse, but not much. Dodge's aren't anything to brag about either. Here in Minnesota, I see ALOT more rusty Dodge's than either Ford or GM. Dodge's top priority is making "Pretty" vehicles, not quality ones.
    ie: I looked at a co-workers new Dodge a few years back and I noticed that the wheel well above the front tire was nicely coated with a black coating. Looked very nice!! Then I stuck my head in there (because the wheel wells are cavernous) and noticed they ONLY sprayed the area that is visible above the tire. The entire area behind the tire was completely BARE!!! It's like they did it with the tires on. Why? to save a little material? What a JOKE!!!
    the first time I had it to the beach of NC was Nov 91.. lots of salt on the beach... it snowed bunches in 93 (24" of snow and tons of salt) and again in 95 ...Its been to the beach 3 more times... Buxton, NC>.. out NO rust.. as of when I saw it last a month ago.... me and the 06 Duramax are fishing in FL without salt on the roads.. No rust on the 06 either.

Boy that big girl pulls the 11500 lb camper nice.. Try hooking up a Nissan or Toy truck to it and lets have some fun..

It was funny but a month ago I was driving without the camper ... just cruising along at 65mph on I 40 and here comes a Toy truck pulling a silver Airstream.. it came up behind me and passed and all of a sudden I started passing it on the right ... the LITTE BITTY hill had stopped it... the wife wanted to know why I was passing on the right but all I was doing was cruising with the cruise on... 65mph and steady... but not the toy truck... WAKE up America... toys are for kids!!
  • awsomedieselawsomediesel Member Posts: 3
    OK, I'll check the manual. Thank you!!!!
  • redram1redram1 Member Posts: 3
    and yet they still will build the best truck...go figure...
    Ah, yes. Someone is ignorant because they stated something you don't like to hear. Well your arrogant assertion aside, it's a fact. I'm not the only one who has made the observation that GM trucks pop holes sooner than others. My last Chevy had pin holes at 5 1/2 years.

"GM treats there sheetmetal (dipping, galvanized box panels, etc) and the other's don't."

While you're practicing your typical Chevy moral superiority and condescending attitude you will find that you are categorically and totally incorrect that other truck manufacturers don't treat their steel. They do. Dodge uses differentially coated sheet metal on all surfaces. Rocker panels, box inner panels and floor are galvanized (Chrysler was the first to do this in 1960, by the way) and body panels are phosphate treated, primer dipped and color coat dipped. Ford's process is similar except for color coat dipping.
    Wonder why my 1991 Chevy 1500 series has no rust. I BELIEVE there is salt on the beaches of WNC near the Atlantic Ocean.. I drove it 4 years to Buxton, NC and ONTO the beach each day for a week at a time. Our group of fishermen drive different vehicles each year and we have never had rusty problems... Most drive Chevs... More comfterable ride. We have been going now for 15 years each November... Maybe there is just no rust producing salt present in November.

Did anyone ever figure out why Ziebart went out of business. They told me... Chevy's are DIPPED JUST LIKE THE GUY SAID.
    theres a big big difference between driving a truck onto a ocean beach each day and a truck spending 150-180 straight days and nights in a freezing wet salt and chemical environment where corosive water gets into every nooks and crannies of the body.

bY the way, dusty didn't say that chevies weren't dipped, he just said that other trucks are too.

morgan
    Understand!! There are sure a lot of rusty Toyotas running around WNC we use lots of snow some years..
    Well, I live in Minnesota, where they use more salt and have the longest winters of anywhere in the country. My 1989 GMC didn't rust until it was 11 yrs old and my 2000 GMC still looks brand new, not a door ding, let alone any rust. And I can tell you for a FACT that Dodge's rust much faster here in Minnesota.
    So, you are the arrogant one, not me.
  • chrmdomechrmdome Member Posts: 107
    Sir:
    I have lived in San Diego for 35 years and have owned a Chevy of one sort or another for all of that time. I have a 15 year old Astro Van with not a single bit of rust on any body panel. The issue of salt exposure near the beach is a factor of the ocean spray/mist that works its way into every crany , the complete car inside and out. If you are one mile from the beach and leave your car out overnight, the car is covered with a salty film, yet with chevys... no rust!
    The main issue here is with the salt exposure the other important factor is temperature. The warmer it is , the faster rust will occur when salt is present. In an area where it is 32 degrees, the chemical reaction does not react as quickly as it does at 60 or 70 degrees, thus a higher incident of rust " at the beach ". The final analysis is : If you knock a mans truck, your knocking him... better knock his wife , he's less likely toget p.o.'ed. To each his own, I like Chevys the other guy may not... enjoy what you like.

Chromedome
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Just because you see something where you are does not mean it's gospel everywhere. As for salt and rust, different states use different salt treatments for roads. Brand X trucks may do great in the winter in one area of the country and lousy in another.

It's anecdotal, folks... so let's put away the "arrogant" comments.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • scoopyexscoopyex Member Posts: 31
    Here in the north east sodium chloride is poured onto the roads before, during, and after winter storms. it eats galvanized body parts like it's going out of style.
    Regardless of who makes the truck pushing your big hood emblem around, salt is salt, and road deicers are road deicers, and will eventually eat them all. What matters most is in how you take care of your ride prior to and after a winter mess that's left on the roads. You can also count on how your body parts were stamped and what the humidity level was during the painting process of the metals that make up your big expensive grill emblem pushers. It all effects the life of your ride. Those are the facts.
  • 07classic07classic Member Posts: 8
    well here we go again... I personally like the looks of the ram. But I couldnt afford a ram and I just needed a vehicle and gm was offering a nice discount so I went with a 07 silverado classic. Now my truck probably wouldnt even qualify as a truck if you want to talk about hp, towing ability etc but I dont use my truck for work. It rides good for being a truck, seems to handle pretty good, nice clean lines and easy to maneuver. I like the looks of the classic hood over the gmc sierra, kind of has that cowl look to it. But I have done about 2200 dollars in aftermarket accessories and have quite a few compliments from others that drive different brand of trucks.. Mine has only a 4.3 liter but it hauls or pulls everything i need to, which aint much.. I am sure there are better trucks out there but for my budget, what I do and everything considered i have the best truck for me. Plus i have a 5 year 100K drivetrain warranty.
    Hey I have a 90 Chebby 1500 4X4 with 168,000 on her.. Its a scottsdale and not a silverado but hey!! Mine is a stick but still love to drive her. She will be 17 years old in December. I will have to add that its the second engine and transmission. I pulled a 17.5ft bass boat all over SC, NC and GA until I ruined the engine at 100K. If I had not been pulling I probably wouldn't have even known the engine was losing power. Now I pull a 21 ft Nitro with the 06 Duramax..
  • 07classic07classic Member Posts: 8
    You are so right. I used to work with steel and if it is not prepped, blued, anealled correctly it will not last long. I will say that I do not know the exact stages that steel goes thru for cars but i used to run annealing ovens and blueing ovens for tecumseh products to make hermetic motors. Quality control was watched constantly to assure the steel was correct before going to the line.
  • tex10tex10 Member Posts: 27
    i work on the pipe line down here in texas and only trucks we be are dodge and fords. our Trucks go throw hell and back. we have 89 cummins that must have least 4,000,000 miles on it. used to go fort davis to new york 2 two times week hualing catle with a 54 foot catle trailer. we drove those trucks off clifs into worst mude that you can thank of. you can beat the crude out of a 360 magnum. Lot of farmers down south texas drive nothing but dodge trucks. they are cheap, and hard to beat. ( MOPAR OR NO CAR!!! )
    :shades:
  • nam92nam92 Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market for a new 12 ton truck and finding it difficult to choose. I've narrowed it down to the Dodge 4X4 Extended Cab 4.7L and the GMC 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3L (gmc extended cab doesn't have enough room for family).

I do 75% hwy and tow a trailer occasionally. Fuel mileage is of concern. My last 98 Ram w/5.9L got around 15 mpg and looking to improve on that even if it means going with the lower hp v8 engine. I'm looking for any quality/warranty problems and mileage feed back to help make a decision.

Dodge is offering $5000 cash back until end of month. Hard to pass up, have to make a decision soon.
    The new GM light duty truck platform is getting rave reviews and if you go over to the Siverado/Sierra forms its a real lovefest. They're reported to be very smooth and powerful, much better assembled, and a joy to drive.

That being said, they should be. As a previous fleet manager I have thought for years that the GM light duty pickups were the most over rated trucks on the market. Reliability has been down right poor in the past and GM has usually been the toughest to get relieve from in warranty cases. Things are different now and GM needs to make friends. Maybe they've improved design and quality. I think its way too early to tell, but one of our GM techs have already commented about 4L70E and 4L80E transmission problems.

The full-size Dodge RAM has been a sturdy and reliable performer for my company, especially in the last few years. We've had no engine, transmission, or drive train issues. In fact, no major issues at all which is remarkable when you have 44 of them. The 2002-2004s seemed to have more electrical problems, but our recent purchases are absent any problems in this area. The 4.7 engine is bullet proof and so is the new 6-speed 545RFE transmission.

In actual practice I think you'll find that the fuel consumption between the 4.7 and the 5.7 Hemi in a four-wheel drive might be negligible. This, of course, is all very dependent on how you drive. I do think that both the 4.7 and 5.7 will give you better gas mileage than the old LA360 (5.9) and a careful driver will probably realize slightly better MPG with the 4.7.

Good luck and best regards,
    Dusty
  • nam92nam92 Member Posts: 3
    I made the purchase and picked the Ram Quad Cab 4x4. The GMC was nice, but the Ram body style and the reliability factor made my decision. I always told myself that I would not buy a vehicle after the 1st year or 2 of a major redesign. I've heard the horror stories of major redesigns and wanted the reliability since I plan on keeping the truck for about 10 years. Truck comes in June. Can't wait.
    I have an 06 Chevy... what changes did they make... MAJOR changes that is.
    do you know any thing about the new 6.7 cummins. my bose bought a new 6.4 power stroke and its not what wanted from ford. not to happy with them.

i need before we oder anther truck
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The Silverado and Sierra were completely redesigned for 2007 - they share nothing but the powertrain.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • gdog6gdog6 Member Posts: 17
    dodge trucks are reliable long lasting and have to (according to dodge) go thru the hardiest pre-market test of any truck.

the interiors are nice but still not as good as some others

but they have loads of power

they beat gm and ford to a pulp :D
    The Ford King Ranch is nice Truck but it dont mean any thing when tne for wheel drive gos out before 10,000 miles
    :lemon:

i think Cummins nose some thing about egines becuase i saw one in a pete the other day and it was hualing
    :shades:
  • richierich5richierich5 Member Posts: 1
    Well here is my 2 cents. I dont know too much about trucks such as in depth specs and have not owned one but am going to purchase one soon. I recently worked at a ford dealership for a few months and left because my heart was not in it. Dont get me wrong, the trucks are very cool and fun to drive around with customers. But i could not wrap my heart around the ford product. the mustangs are cool i guess but id only pay half the price to have one. eleanor is the only car on the lot that i would look at and i still though "crap" in my mind. The trucks are good rigs but i have a verdict after reading through all these threads. Fords break down and dont last. I do like the super duty trucks but for example, the f-350 has 8 radiators. in 5 years from now i dont wanna spend thousands of dollars replacing those bad boys. I know that if u want a beast u need to replace [non-permissible content removed] down the road but i just dont trust ford. the cars on the lot are crap, dont even go for one, ur wasting ur money, go to volkswagon or audi, much more quality and design. i dont know who the [non-permissible content removed] is desgining fords new products but he must be the most boring person in the world to talk to. cheap suits for cheap suits wearers i guess. back to trucks, its seems the no one is knocking gmc these days and i could understand why, the denalis and sierras i never hear gripes about. and people lets not argue about stupid things for page after page such as a bolt or handling. go freaking drive it and do the testing urself. what feels good to you? its ur freaking money. dont worry about lap testing and ventilated breaks. u can get those on anything! the new ford f-150s are nice but come on, how boring is it to drive on. i mean, u just have to be so bland to seek one out and be excited about it day after day, especially the consensus that rams and others are so much more powerful. i understand the little features ford goes to make better and its appreciated. but the inside is so one dimensional and boring. i know this is somewhat of a rant, but i think there are too many ford people who just wont throw the towel in and are basing their beliefs because ford has number one selling truck. sure the taurus was number one selling car, and that made ford great. but would u buy one? now these macho truck guys are hiding behind number 1 truck? doesnt mean an f-150 is better than the dodge or chevy? my rant is nearing an end here, but i just had to say after working at ford for so long, i had no desire to sell a ford and felt the company prided itself over stupid features rather than saying, we have the baddest truck out. Thanks!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Yo!! I think you posted in the wrong topic. Last I heard the Dodge Ram was NOT made by Ford. LMAO!!
  • scoopyexscoopyex Member Posts: 31
    Don't rule out Dodge as your next truck as a result of seeing this post. I've done a little bit of research into this problem, and the only truck I've found so far matching my problem is isolated to Toyota Tundras (yes they have a chronic problem with body panels rusting prematurely) and nothing related to Dodge. so far the problem I am having is purely isolated to my truck which I happen to LOVE and it will not deter me from buying another Dodge Ram in the future.

Anyhow, several weeks ago I took my truck, an 07 SLT 4.7 4X2 short bed 16K miles to the car wash. After every wash I normally wipe the truck down with a new microfiber towel top to bottom. The last time I washed the truck, I noticed an orangy/yellowy substance on the center section of the passenger door. Since I bought the truck last March, I've taken to long trips with it to PA and NC. I though maybe some time during one of those trips I might have accidently driven over some yellow paint or something when there was some road remarking going on. I looked around the truck some more and didn't really find any of the material any place else. Well, seeing as it was on the surface (lots of it) I decided to see if it would scrape off and a few of the tiny bits did. I didn't want to believe what it was then as I don't want to believe what it is now.. but sadly, the truth is, the material oozing out of pinhole size nooks in my paint is rust, and it's gotten worse since. I thought it was isolated to the passenger door, and did some more looking around.. sure enuff.. I'm finding the same problem on the hood, the drivers door, the tailgate, and both sides of the bed. My truck is brite white and now it's got acne. Has anybody else had this problem and what has Chrysler done about it? it seems to me that just sanding the panels down and repainting them is just going to result in it happening again later down the road, since once metal starts to rust, it's pretty much a death sentence for it. When I bought the truck a year ago, I intended on keeping it for five to ten years because that's the kind of life expectancy I was counting on. at this rate the body is going to look like swiss cheese by next year if it's not fixed.

Althought these pictures are not from my truck. this is exactly what I'm seeing on my body panels (nice litte kick in the ribs for the Tundra owners to)

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-problems-dealer-service/62928-more-rust.- html
    Clay should remove it as it appears to be on the surface. Do it quickly before it penetrates the paint and primer. If caught soon enough it will not penetrate the clear coat. Good luck!!
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    Go read Inside Lines newest road test pitting the Dodge, Chevy and Ford HD's against each other... The Winner? The Duramax. It's a pretty interesting read.
    Here is the road test that Inside Line did just a couple weeks ago... Read and enjoy :D Before reading the rest I would have gone with the Chevy, and after reading the test I would definately go with the Chev, but I'll let you make a decision.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=115662
    Here's just my 2 cents worth... GM is redesigning the trucks this year, but from what I understand it's only the hlaf-tons. the HD's may not come along until much later, possibly even a year away from now. Like the article said - the GM ain't stylish but it get the job done ,and done better than the Ford or the Dodge. If styling is the issue, than check out the GMC version. It is exactly like the Silverado in capability, but in my opinion has a better look. But if you don't mind waiting, I am sure that GM's new HD line when it comes out will be bar none the best HD truck out there.
  • grabbygrabby Member Posts: 2
    I have a chevrolet pick-up 1500 year 2000 ext,cab it has 110,000. miles live in st-louis missouri and the rocker panels are rusted already since last year.Now you can press gently with a knife and it goes right trhoug it.Can I get help from GM? It is an expensif fix.What would be the better way to fix it?Cover it up with Stainess steel trim? and what brand?
  • grabbygrabby Member Posts: 2
    I have this chevrolet 1500 4x4 ext.cab year 2000 it makes aclinking noise at low speed when I turn left or right what can be done to fix it.I hear it is a GM problem.

ho
    You need to replace your intermediate steering shaft. GM has redesigned the one currently in your truck.
  • Bluecollar09Bluecollar09 Member Posts: 2
  • Bluecollar09Bluecollar09 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to get a 4x4 2500 diesel pickup. I honestly am not too familiar with them. I have heard nothing but good things about the Cummins 12v diesels, but am aware of Dodge's common transmission problems. I also like the great fuel economy that the Cummins provides and the straight front axle design in the Dodge's. How was the Duramax from 01-03? Any problems? And how is the fuel economy? The main thing that turned me onto GM was the Allison tranny. Im not too fond of the IFS. Does GM make actual shift in 4x4 rather than Push Button(makes me a little weary)? Any and all help would be appreciated. Ill be hauling a camper on the beach and pulling a 25' boat. No large trailers as of now, but who knows what the future holds. Ive driven my share of Fords and just am not interested in another one, so please dont come in here and insist on a Powerstroke.
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    Well, I own an '03 Cummins Dodge and have had only one operational problem that wasn't my fault - a clutch switch that activates the ignition only when the clutch is depressed. One tow and a repair under warranty later and my truck was good as new. I haven't had any problems with the transmission - the big 6-speed as the new automatic wasn't available yet when I bought it. I have nothing but praise for the big Cummins engine, though diesel being more than a dollar higher than gasoline is displeasing.