Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Volvo S80

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    How did you test it out to see ?

Rocky
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    We tripped the alarm and I sat in the car.
    Another salesperson had the remote about 25ft away from me.
    Thats just crazy how that system works. ;)

Rocky
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    But I wonder why they wouldn't have designed it to monitor even if the alarm has not been tripped. I mean, if the alarm has gone off, you would already know something has happened and you wouldn't just hop back in the car without checking around.
  • lansdownemikelansdownemike Member Posts: 54
    When I drove the 3.2, I hadn't put together my comparison chart so I didn't have my checklist of things that would be nice to have, and I can't remember whether I saw any of these. Does anyone know if either model has any of: Headlights auto-on, turning (adaptive) headlights, Side mirrors turn down when backing up, camera system for viewing while backing up, paddle shifters on the steering wheel or column, heated steering wheel. (And it's Christmas, so I can't ask the salesman, and I'm not entirely sure he'd have the correct answer.)

Many thanks for even a partial answer.
    Well,
    Auto on headlights, standard
    adaptive headlights, optional
    side mirrors that turn, yes on the Euro version, not sure on the US.
    Backup camera, optional if you have the nav system. Camera is dealer installed
    Paddle shifters, nope
    Heated steering wheel, nope
    Many many thanks. Shame about no paddles, but not a deal breaker.
  • johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    For those of you who know.
    Do the latest Volvos have the same expense when getting the 7,500 mx service as the 99-2000 ones?
    We had a new 99 S80 and it was the most comfortable car we've ever had (from Plymouths in our youth to Cadds and MB 320s in our most recent years.) But each time I took it in for service, it was as bad as the MB--$150-600.00. Not that anything was really wrong with the car, that was the cost of the service.We had it for our normal 6 years and had none of the problems I read about on these discussions.
    We now have a 05 Toyota Avalon Limited and like it except that the seats aren't as comf. as the Volvo.
    Also, I've read that the 07 S80 has had a major upgrade, but the pics I see, I can't tell any diff. from our 99.
    Any advice here?
    Thanks.
    John D
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    well, it sounds to me like you were going by the dealer's suggested service schedule, not Volvo's. Soo... if you keep going to that dealer and abiding their suggested schedule, then yes, it very well may cost the same, if not more.

As far as the redesign, yes it is all new. Alot of folks won't be able to tell just by looking at it, as the skin is similar to the outgoing model, but its what underneath that counts, and that's where most of the changes have taken place.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Service schedule hasn't really changed.
    The first major service is now 60k instead of 30k.

If you can get an M-B dealer serviced for $150-600 you are doing really well!
    I was going by the owners handbook that had service at each 7500 miles. That is what service guideline I was using.
    And what is changed ' under the skin"? The only thing I read is that there is a tire pressure monitor and it is 6 cy rather than 5. What else is there to the new car?
    I do see that much of what was standard on my 99 is extra on the 07.
    I'm not arguing with you, I just want to know before I agree with my wife that we may trade cars after only 2 years rather than wait out our normal 6.
    As for the MB service, I traded the last 320 in when I purchased the 99Volvo, so the cost of service then may have been a little less than now days. But the normal services on the MB and the Volvo and what they were costing are now 65.00 on the Avalon with no major service until 75k. Yes, I try to have all my servicing done at the dealer where I buy the car. Had a bad experience once with one of the quick lube/service deals and don't care to risk it again.
  • teamsc10190teamsc10190 Member Posts: 2
    I've owned nothing but Volvos for the past 35 years. The cost of ownership with my S80 however convinced me that it would be my last Volvo. Dismal reliability coupled with extraordinary repair costs, and poor resale value don't make for a winning combination. If you do some research to understand the service record of the 99-06 S80 models, you will understand in short order that the cars were fraught with design, parts, and build quality defects. Ford provided scant goodwill support, no service upgrades of known design defects, and inflated parts pricing. The dreadful service experience with the previous generation S80 also resulted in extraordinary depreciation. Take a look at retail prices of used S80's, and understand that the first owners bore the horrific depreciation costs that result in used S80's selling for less than an entry-level Korean car. The cost of service, parts, and depreciation make this a car to avoid.
    Apologists will reluctantly acknowledge that Volvo had some problems with the previous car, but now they learned their lesson and the new 2007 car is completely redesigned to avoid such concerns. Are you willing to take that bet with YOUR $55-65,000 dollars? Do you think that the Ford Motor Company that lost 250 million dollars/day over the past year (per Automotive News) is going to offer generous support for the new S80 while they're hemorrhaging red ink? Ford has one mantra these days and that's cost containment, period.
    Before you buy, ask your Volvo dealer what routine service costs will total for 75,000 miles. Ask him to quote you on the sorts of routine replacement parts and services that you'll likely encounter during your term of ownership. What's a major service cost? What does a set of windshield wipers cost, or a replacement alloy wheel, or a headlamp assembly, or a complete brake job. You'll discover just how proud Volvo is of it's parts. Cost of ownership issues. What is the retained value of the previous generation S80 after five years? Hugh cost of ownership issue. You had better like this car a whole lot because you'll be paying for it at least twice if you keep it for five years. I replaced my Volvo with a Toyota that has yet to be back to the dealer in 22,000 miles, and everything functions perfectly. Yes, I surely do miss the irreproachable comfort of the Volvo, but nothing of the reality of the ownership experience. Stick with the Avalon.
    what exactly did the book tell you to have done at 7500 miles that cost $150? I'm not intimately familiar with the S80 specifically, but my S70 called for an oil change only at that mileage. Granted, that was expensive at the dealer ($50), but still not $150.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I can't remember specifically. I remember once it had to do with 're-programing an update to the computer". It was usually something like that added to the oil, filter change and rotating the tires. Seems that one time it was changing the air filter. Usually something extra like that. I think the lowest cost was in the 75-85 range, but that was just once or twice. One at the 30 or 45k one was right at 600.00.
    As for the actual mechanical problems, there were very few that were not covered by the warranty.
    One that hit me, not the cars fault, was when the rats got into the engine compartment and chewed many things up. All kinds of warning lites lit up. My insurance covered all of it after the deductible. I live in the country and field rats try to come in every fall/winter.
    But all of this is off subject.
    What has changed in the 07 S80 and are the services still as expensive?
    As for as the reliability, I had no complaints.
    How many S80's do you have on the lot ?????

Rocky
    The Volvo dealers in the Washington DC area seem to all have at least one each of the 3.2 and V8 S80. Drove a V8 with many of the gadgets, but no GPS.

The adjustable suspension is amazing. In Comfort mode my wife was very happy with the ride and I felt entirely comfortable with the degree of control. Sport mode tightened it up so that I was pleased with its ability to quickly set itself up in cloverleaf ramps and fast corners. I couldn't find a good place to test the Advanced suspension, so I can't say just how much of an improvement it would be. The ride was better to my taste than the M35x (I'm looking for AWD) and a lot better than the A6 with S-line enhancements.

The BLIS works just as advertised, right and left. The warning light is visible in the corner of your eye, and very noticeable when you look over a shoulder to switch lanes. It comes on just as the car is leaving the rear-view mirror and entering into the blind spot.

Radar cruise control is excellent. First time I've used that technology, and with my foot poised to hit the brake in case the system didn't work as expected, the car automatically slowed and then gently braked as the car in front slowed to a stop.

Sound of the engine was satisfactory; very quiet in 6th gear at 1500 rpm; good sound as it downshifts and revs up. Won't be confused with a Ferrari, but a good enough melody. 311 HP in a 3900 pound car is just fine for my needs.

The interface to the settings menus looks pretty straightforward, a lot more intuitive than iDrive and Audi's equivalents. (Not that they're difficult, but just less sensibly organized.) I didn't play very much with them.

The V8 with the Sports package doesn't have a spare tire; the tires don't seem to be run-flats, either. There's an engine-operated pump in the area where the spare would be, and a can of some kind of [non-permissible content removed] that seals leaks from the inside. Not so great.

A manual lumbar support wheel! Least adjustable seats I've seen in a car even close to this in price. I'm sure I'll find a perfectly good seating position, but I'll miss the little adjustments in my 5-year old BMW X5. OTOH, the perforated leather seats with heating and cooling are very comfortable and for my short legs, good around the thighs.

No reverse tilt-down mirrors--a minor failing, but I will notice it when backing into parking spaces, I'm sure.

I'll probably order one (10-12 week delivery on special orders to the Mid-Atlantic area) next week.
    Thanx for the post....... :)

Rocky
  • shaunsshauns Member Posts: 24
    I strongly concur with johndjr.

I just got rid of my 1999 S80 at 94K - the shortest time I've ever kept a car. Here are the hard numbers:
    cost of repairs (not maintenance!):
    11.2c/mile vs. 5.6c/mile large car avg.
    cost of tires: 0.12c/mile vs. 0.07c/mile large car avg.
    depreciation: $5500/yr vs. 4500/yr large car avg.

There were 20 similar vehicles for sale at the same time as mine, all asking $9K-$10K. And not moving. The realistic price for even a well-maintained and low-problem S80 like mine is more like $5K.

I bought a Camry Hybrid. The only thing I miss from the S80 is the more adjustable memory seats and more trunk space.

Undeniably, Volvos are comfortable, roomy cars for the most part. The cost of ownership has been an issue for Volvos for decades. Given that Volvos seem to be a generation behind the near-luxury class leaders in things like engine and suspension technology and sound isolation, particularly over textured or rough roads, purchasing a new Volvo isn't a wise decision in my estimation. Go Japanese.
    I'm really am surprised that the 07' S80 doesn't have some of the features you mentioned. :surprise:

Rocky
  • rpgorman1rpgorman1 Member Posts: 4
    Drove the 2007 S80 V8 today. Volvo did it right...I've owned the 2000 BMW 5 series a Toyota Avalon XLS. They don't come close. My wife's everyday driver is a 2002 Volvo C70 convertible another terrific auto. I'm starting to become a Volvo believer. The 2007 S80 V8 is a great car.
    I wonder how soon would we see some of the technology on the '07 S80 trickle down to the XC90, and perhaps even the XC70 and S60?
    My guess is whenever the models get their refresh or redesign. ;)

Rocky
    XC70 will be soonest because the new car arrives this fall.
    Any engine news on the XC70? Any chance they would replace the turbo 5 with a V6?
    Volvo doesn't make a V6.
    We do make an inline 6.
    This will be the engine in the new XC70.
    After a while the new turbo 6 will be an option.
    "We do make an inline 6. This will be the engine in the new XC70."

That's good news. Hope they don't "supersize" the new XC70.
    FAIK, the new XC70 will only be slightly bigger than the current car.
    It will use the new S80 chassis.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Vovlomax, with a new, updated XC70 coming out this fall and the factory at that time undoubtedly offerring inventory-clearing deals, a current style XC70 this coming summer may be the way to go. Contrarian maybe, but still perhaps a smart move. After all the current XC70 is well sorted out, DSTC is now standard, the ETM issues are behind it, and my current set of winter wheels/tires will fit.

Now, where can a guy find a new XC70 in Barents Blue with Premium, Climate, Zenons and the HU850 sterio? Although on second thought, at $43055 MSRP you are right close to a one or two year old E350 AWD wagon. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the $57K E350 AWD wagon vs. the XC70. A lot of people, I think even Edmunds, class the Suburu and other lesser cars with the XC70, which I think is a mistake.
    Doubtless, the current XC70 will be a good deal this summer, although availability won't be great.

The E350 wagon isn't a vehicle that is cross shopped against the XC70.
    Usually because the Mercedes faithful consider the Volvo beneath them.
    The XC70 has better ground clearance and is a better off road vehicle.
    The Benz is rarer and more luxurious.
    Neither car is going to have spectacular resale.
    Over time, the Benz will cost more to repair and maintain.
    "a current style XC70 this coming summer may be the way to go."

My thoughts exactly. The XC70 and V70 have aged remarkably well, styling-wise.
    IMHO the cars to cross shop the S80 against would be the E Class MB and the 5 Series BMW. Maybe the Jag S type. Nothing else comes to mind although maybe Avalon and a Lexus might be suitable. Lets do a little comparison of the two Germans against the Swede:

1) The S80 3.2 has the same size engine as an E Class 6 cylinder, much the same equipment, etc. all for perhaps 16K less. For anyone in the Northeast, it has FWD. On the other hand if you want performance you can buy the V8 AWD and get E Class V8 AWD performance for, again, a lot less.

If you were shopping the S80 against the E Class, the sweet spot though seems to be a "base" S80 V8 with AWD for about 8K less than a 6 cylinder AWD E Class and maybe 12K less than a V8 E Class. Almost all new E Classes that I see in the Northeast are Fourmatics and by far most are 6 cylinders.

All this assumes that you don't want the E Class Diesel which to some people at only 1K more than the gas E Class is really the way to go.

2) The S80 matches up nicely against the BMW 5 Series with more standard equipment. The S80 3.2 again has FWD and a bunch more standard equipment than a BMW 525, in fact any BMW, because BMW plays the options game almost as ruthlessly as Porshe. ("Oh, did you want leather in your BMW? Well thats part of a package for 4K more. Sunroof? Oh, dear, thats more money also.") The S80 V8 AWD should run away from a BMW 530 six cylinder, especially after the roads get slick.

So, the S80 vs. BMW comparo is going Volvo's way until it comes to resale. Them yuppies do want the BMW and the resale shows it.

I think Volvo has a hit on their hands.
    The only flaw in your argument is the resale one.
    M-B resale is average to below average.
    BMW, outside of the 3 Series, is average, until you get to the 7 which isn't great at all.
    Of course, when 1 car is $10,000 more than another it will resell for a higher dollar amount, but the percentage won't really be better.
    The previous S80 had bad resale for a few years, although the 05 and 06 cars have done better.
    Given the high content, I expect the new S80 to do about average in resale.
    Volvomax, two points.

I'll accept that maybe the resale on a 5 Series is "average" but is it higher than its comparables (i.e, E Class, etc.)? If it is, then it is above average for its class.

Secondly, I may have been little overenthusiastic on the S80 being a hit. Since that post I've seen more of them up close. To my eyes they just don't have the same "presence" as an E Class or a 5 Series. While in many other regards the S80 holds its own, this "presence" thing could hurt the car with people who buy a car for its bold statement to the world that the driver is either very successful (MB), very stylish (Jag) or very sporty (BMW) . Now a lot of people, many of them Volvo owners, don't buy a car as a rolling megaphone but some people do.
    Not quite sure how you are defining "presence"
    The E Class really isn't a standout looking car.
    If it didn't have a star on the end of the hood, most people wouldn't give it the time of day.
    I think the Volvo interior is light years ahead of the Benz.
    The bimmer is a better looking car than the Benz.
    Is it better looking than the S80?
    Not sure.
    Wait until you see a pimped out S80.
    Both cars have more status than the Volvo.
    However, both cars charge you alot more for that status.
    There are plenty of people for whom money is no object and the want the designer label.
    Volvo isn't going to get those people.
    The Volvo customer is more pragmatic about what they drive and in many cases is uncomfortable with a car that shouts their status.
    The S80 isn't going to be the hit that the XC90 is, or that the XC60 should be, but I think it will garner more than its share of sales.
    Maybe the car that the S80 should be compared to is the Audi A6? Moreover the Audi brand seems more vulnerable to Volvo inroads than M/B or BMW. I think that the S80 has the A6 triangulated: the Volvo in two wheel drive format is significantly less at 37K than the comparable Audi at 41K and in AWD the S80 with a V8 for 47K is much better than the AWD A6 with a six cylinder for 44K.

So, in a comparison between the S80 and A6 it may come down to "did you want to save a few grand to get the same thing in an Volvo or did you want to spend a few grand more to get a really better AWD V8 car?"
    Don't know that the A6 V8 is really ANY better than the S80 V8 AWD.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I just want to point out, that 37K Volvo has significantly more features than 41K base Audi.

For instance, there are several desirable features for me - 17" wheels, sunroof, remote garage opener, memory for driver's seat, parking assistance, leather seating surfaces.

That all is available in the base Volvo +$495 option.

To get all this in Audi you have to cash out almost $51K, getting premium, convenience and technology packages + $750 wheel upgrade.

Given, that you will get a bunch of other options (that I could care less).

So, new S80 is a tremendous deal, in both 6 and 8-cyl version.
  • capoanycapoany Member Posts: 32
    Here it is- 07 V8 AWD Sport/ Climate/ Audio/ Electic Silver Met- 24 Mo Zero cap cost reduction- 12K / yr- $711/ mo + Tax. MF .00147 resid 66%. Need immediate help on this one- you lurking Volvomax?
    That is the program. There are no incentives unless you currently own a Volvo.
  • capoanycapoany Member Posts: 32
    Thanks, V. I passed. Got a good deal on a lightly used M35 Sport. I am leaving 10 years of Volvo lease-ership behind. Turned in my V70 titanium edition. A happy stretch, but I was looking for something a touch snarlier, and while I tried to love the new S80 V8, I couldnt reconcile the price, and I didn't feel like I was getting anything resembling a break. My gut is there will be money on the hood of these things soon. So, after three Volvos in a row, I suppose I was looking for a little 'lagniappe' from the dealer. Funny, they called back with a 'better program' yesterday, but too late.
    Yes, we knew that Volvo wouldn't have a good program for the car in Jan.
    In fact, anyone who was interested in leasing we told to wait until Feb.
    Much better lease program now.
    Too bad you couldn't wait.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    S80 is a looker for sure.

I'd like to drive it before making any assumptions but, I hope it doesn't drive like traditional Volvo's. ie. Numb steering, body roll, not very engaging in general.
    Actually I'm having a bit of trouble coming to grips with the looks. It's certainly not unattractive per se, but it just looks so much like the S60, and the current S80. It makes one wish that it would make more of a "statement", for lack of a better term. Perhaps it looks better in the flesh.
    It does look very impressive in dark colors. More compact than the 99-06, but more modern and agressive. And looking like S60 IS NOT a bad thing.
    What are leases looking like this month ? Is their any special leases on fully loaded V8 models ?

Just curious......

Rocky
  • jsyarussjsyaruss Member Posts: 50
    I went in to look at the S80 while my '05 S60R was getting its 15K service. All I could say was WOW! I didn't let myself drive it (still a year on my lease), but the interior is really nice. I was leaning toward the S80 for my next car anyway cause my kids are getting a little bigger, and I wanted more room in the rear.

Still, it is going to be hard to give up my R! The dealer told me that there are no more Rs for now... but perhaps after the redesign of the S60...

SO, my Q...any R drivers tried the V8? BHP is a little higher, but of course the car is bigger and heavier than my wonderful S60. I'd love the upgraded interior (though the seats in my R are unbelievable)...IF the drive is comparable (though I'd still need to come up with the extra 10K ;-).

Thoughts? Thx.
    Scott
    i don't have either car ... but i have to say it depends on your R. Personally, I'd only have the manual tranny R, so the performance difference between that and the V8 S80 would be quite significant.

If you have the Geartronic R, the S80 V8 is a slightly better performer.
    The manual R is much faster.
    --The manual R is much faster. --

Only, if you really know how to drive it. I remember the R introduction event several years ago, where hundreds of people were allowed to run laps and try a straight line acceleration of manual S60R and auto V70R.
    In both categories, the best results among amateurs (myself included), were registered consistently, for V70R auto. The average driver just could not shift fast enough. The auto box has done more efficient job.

The professional assistance crew recorded the laps with S60R manual that were significantly faster than any of guests.