Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Volvo S80

navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
Volvo's flagship is due for a redesign since it was introduced in 1999. The new generation looks good and isnt overstyled like many other cars. Hopefully this new car will be competitive enough with other cars in it's class, like the Mercedes E Class, Lexus GS, Audi A6 and the others.

Discuss any news and views here and please post pictures if you find any.

Read more here.

Here's a picture, as I said before the styling seems pretty handsome, though I'd like to see the front, back and interior before making a final call.

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Looks nice. Classic Volvo. Not too overdone.

Will it be at Detroit?
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    The above link says a Detroit possibility, but this website and Autoweek say March at Geneva.
  • minarets1minarets1 Member Posts: 49
    these look great imo.

link title
    This car looks great! I'm sure it will be very competitive with its competition.

Pictures
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    Here is a short video from a Dutch website showing the new S80:

http://autotelegraaf.nl/vanonzeredactie/?dir=autonieuws
  • bonsbons Member Posts: 45
    What can you say, authentic Scandanavian luxury; intelligent, simple, functional, and classy. Look like Volvo is doing everything right with its line-up
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Has anyone seen an instrumented (independent) acceleration test numbers for the XC90 V8?
    (Same engine & trans. as the new S80 V8, I understand it.)
    I have seen a couple of ‘driving impressions’ but not a published review of the V8 with 0-60 and Quarter Mile results.

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Hoping to extrapolate S80 V8 (approx.) numbers based on a weight estimate . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    OK, this is from Motor Trend magazine, January 2006 edition.

The Volvo XC90 was in a comparison test against the Mercedes R500 and Cadillac SRX V8. You can make your own guesses on how it finished, or ask me and I'll tell you.

In any case here it is. The XC90 V8s curb weight is 4878lbs.

0-30 2.5 seconds
    0-40 3.8 seconds
    0-50 5.4 seconds
    0-60 7.0 seconds
    0-70 9.1 seconds
    0-80 11.7 seconds
    0-90 14.6 seconds
    0-100 18.1 seconds

Based on all this info, I'd say the new S80 will run to 60 in about 6 seconds flat or less.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    That 0-60 time of 6 seconds flat or less sounds about right based on the weight difference.

The Motor Trend road test was very complimentary of the engine - called it a jewel, if I recall correctly. I have yet to read any negatives about this engine. Smoothness, torque, sound quality, and relatively low fuel consumption have been mentioned.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    ...except resale value. Current S-80's drop like stones in value. Yet gently used ones are tremendous bargains. I don't see why the all-new '07 will be any different. I'll look for one in '08 or '09. In the meantime, I'll be looking for a pre-owned '04 T-6 to tide me over....
    Forgot to include the quarter mile earlier, it is 15.4 sec @ 92.4 mph.

I was reading an edmunds review of the XC90 V8, and their 0-60 time was 7.6 seconds. Motor Trend and Car and Driver always seem to have fast acceleration results. In a comparison test done recently, the 2006 Accord hit 60 in 5.9 seconds! Since when did they get so fast?!
    Thanks for posting the numbers.
    Edmunds lists the current AWD S80 at ~ 3700 lbs.
    If the new S80 is under 4000, I expect that acceleration may be sufficient - or 'interesting' - to me.
    I'd certainly like to see 14.5 or less in the Quarter – at close to 100.
    I suspect that with over 300 HP & TQ, if the AWD manages apportioning the TQ well at launch (not necessarily the top priority in any Volvo) it may be a sub-6 second Sedan.
    We’ll see when C+D, R&T, etc publish tests – perhaps this Summer?
    Thanks again!
    - Ray
    Numbers, numbers . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Does anyone know when the new S80 will be in dealerships? I may not want to wait until one year from now for the Lincoln Mark S version of the car.
    All I have heard is 4Q - so perhaps by Christmas.
    Seems clear that it will be available WAAAAY before the MKS.
    - Ray
    Ready for my test drive . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • jburleigjburleig Member Posts: 16
    Automobile had some nice things to say in the link below (sorry, I was not quite sure how to paste a link in this forum).

Sounds like Volvo is going to avoid going overboard with technology that can take the focus off the road. Thank God someone is listening. I test drove an A6 the other day, whose system is supposed to be better than most. It's still distracting, even the salesman thought so. The Volvo looks/sounds great, so I think I will hold off on a purchase until it comes out. I understand they have been getting a bad rap in the quality surveys recently. Hopefully, the new S80 can at least be average or maybe even above average. Heck, my 1993 240 is still going strong, so that should say something, right?

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/geneva_2006/0603_volvo_s80/index.html
    This link has some performance / mpg figures. Looks like the V8 will be under 6 seconds for sure, and the combined mpg's for both the V8 and V6 look pretty good.

http://auto.moldova.org/auto/eng/84/134/
    I’d agree that if these numbers prove accurate in independent testing, 5.7 or so to 60 would potentially of interest to me. 5.7 is exactly what C+D reported for my current sedan. And that would be “sufficient” for me.

Pricing is a (particularly important) remaining unknown. I’d be quite surprised if final MSRP was released much before this Fall’s expected first US deliveries.

- Ray
    Waiting, oh so very patiently . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Look for a few cars to make in into the US by Dec.
    Looks great.

Executive Edition
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    The press release from Ford shows that they go on sale in June of 2006!

I have already asked the three closest dealers to tell me when they will be able to order cars and when they will have them.

Wow, what a handsome car with a beautiful interior, and loads of features (safety, design, drivetrain, and no I-drive, Comand, or other such nonsense)!

Volvo also thought of things which others overlook. For example, the entire steering wheel rim can be covered in wood, so there are no rough seams between the leather and the wood, as in most other cars. The "floating" radio and HVAC controls are another example, and quite a contrast to the huge button-filled regions on many other vehicles.
    "The S80 will be launched in June. Pricing will be announced at the Geneva show."

- Automotive News.

- Ray
    Wondering if they are talking about the US or Europe . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    S80
    They are talking about Europe.

The S80 won't be available in the US until late 4th quarter.
    We won't have pricing until the fall.
    Does anyone know when/if the 2007 S80 will be available for overseas delivery for U.S.-based customers? I wonder if Volvo would wait until the official U.S. launch late this year before allowing U.S. customers to order it through OSD.
    There are some great Volvo S80 wallpapers (13 in total) at www.desktopmachine.com

Enjoy :)
  • becksterbeckster Member Posts: 1
    I sure hope it runs as good as it looks. Think volvo learned a lesson with the 99-2001 S80 models. I can't wait to test drive the new one. And if I'm lucky to get some overtime and a second job, might be able to purchase one. :shades:
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I'm sure it's out of my reach, but hey I can handle being jealous ;)

Rocky
  • jarchdeaconjarchdeacon Member Posts: 22
    Anyone know when pricing will be available for the new S80?
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I can't stand the ugly little warts on the door handles of most luxury cars. It's possible to include a Keyless Go system that doesn't mess up a monochromatic paint job, but it looks like Volvo chose not to do that on the new S80.
    We won't have pricing until sometime in the fall.
  • jarchdeaconjarchdeacon Member Posts: 22
    The link below from Volvo's European Website shows S80 pricing and configurations/options there. I assume this may at least tell us what is likely coming to the USA sometime later (basic, SE, and Luxury packages). I have an old S80 T6 which is approaching 100,000 miles and I'm considering another S80, Acura RL or Infiniti M.

2007 S80 Price List from Europe

I realize one cannot probably derive US pricing from this, but perhaps (?) it gives us an idea of what the US configurations might look like.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I think, it gives you a pretty good idea what US prices are going to be, if you compare them with the Euro prices for the XC90.

It is apparent to me, that an S80 is priced rather aggressively (well bellow a comparable XC90), which means, that we can expect to see S80 in US at the same price point as a current one.

3.2 - starting at mid-upper 30th (37K) and V8 - low-mid 40th (43-45K).

I honestly expect to get well loaded S80 3.2 FWD at 35-37K through OSD in 2008, just as I've got my current S80 2.9 with Premium package and some other bell and whistles in 2000 for 34, 995.
  • jtt1jtt1 Member Posts: 7
    The V8 SE price is listed as 80,500 euros which equates to over $100,000 US dollars. Am I missing something here?
    DO NOT use European prices to try to figure the price on the US S80.
    There are taxes and tariffs built into the Euro price that we won't have.
    If you want an educated guess here it is.

S80 3.2, base @$38,000 loaded @ $45,000

S80 V8 base @ $43,000 loaded @$50,000
    Honestly, I may be a little low on the V8.
    Could be $48-55,000
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I would be da...d, Max. My uneducated guess was right next to yours.
    You are correct, the Euro price can not be used directly, but in comparison to the XC90. Then you can use US XC90 prices to guestimate US S80 future prices.
    I would love to see if I could even afford a S80 V-8 :)

Thanx

Rocky
    Fianl pricing should be released in the fall.
    Okay thanx, so when will we start seeing them in dealerships ?

Rocky
    Prob Jan or Feb.
    Well that's quite awhile, why so long I wonder ? I am seriously considering one if I can get a good deal.

Rocky
    Is the U.S. going to get a 6-speed auto only ? This car would be much better with a stick or atleast having the option of one.

Volvomax, when will we see the S60, get a redesign if you know ????

Rocky
    The S80 will be auto only.
    No real call for a manual in this model segment anymore.

S60 will be redone in 2009.
    Well that's quite awhile, why so long I wonder ? I am seriously considering one if I can get a good deal.

Just normal lead time for a new model.
    Volvo is concentrating on the C70 right now.

As for a good deal, that depends on your point of view. It will be a new model so I doubt there will be any incentives or special financing. Maybe a lease package.
    The car will be considerably less than a similar Mercedes or BMW model.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    That piques my curiosity. Does Volvo offer a stick in the S80 in Europe or is the car auto only everywhere?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Did the S60 get a refresh this year ? If so did it get a Dynaudio finally ???

If I could get a good lease deal, I might be suckered into buying one. This lady claims she can get me any vehicle at or below invoice. So I'll try her first to see how true she is. I also am thinking about a BMW 335i sedan when it comes available next March (I heard)

Rocky
    That piques my curiosity. Does Volvo offer a stick in the S80 in Europe or is the car auto only everywhere?

I believe the only version of the S80 that will be offered w/ a stick is the D5.
    The S60 gets a new front bumper, optional active xenon headlights and the tire pressure monitoring system.

Lease deals are on the 06's.
    Lease deals are on the 06's.

I bet the S60R isn't included ? I see that many of the new Volvo's have the Dynaudio equipment which is interesting. If the Volvo S60 didn't get the upgrade, that would be ashame :sick: I might be better off waiting for the next generation S60R then or attempt to get my hands on a S80.

Rocky
    There are some very good lease deals on the S60R.

Volvo wants to reserve the Dynaudio system for their halo cars. The C70, S80 V8, XC90.

The next S60R will probably not debut before 2010 or 2011.
    2007 is the last year for the current R.