Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• nkaizernkaizer Member Posts: 25
    Correction. The temp controls are on the right side of the steering wheel of the TCH.
  • gerrythegreatgerrythegreat Member Posts: 6
    I am about to buy a 2009 Camry Hybrid and we wanted leather seats. In order to get these we must order the Premium package with navigation system at a cost of 3500.00$ canadian. I was wondering if anyone had this option and if so if they thought it was worth it or not?
  • james99james99 Member Posts: 9
    Don't be so cheap. This car drives like a luxury car so you might as well make yourself feel rich. $3,500 is not that much if you think about having the car for five years. While you're at it, for an extra $300 get the trunk lip, the car looks much better with it.
  • bdt11bdt11 Member Posts: 3
    I have it and I love it.
  • cdn_tchcdn_tch Member Posts: 194
    In Canada we don't get the trunk lip, we get the full fledged boy racer spoiler :-(

I looked at the US website and liked to trunk lip, but the spoiler is just plain ugly (IMO).
    I'm in Canada, I had my dealer install it.
  • toyofan5toyofan5 Member Posts: 8
    You should go ahead and get the package if you can afford it. A side benefit of having the larger display that goes along with the navigation system so you can see all the hybrid displays. The leather, Navigation, larger display, etc, are all worth it. The car looks and drives like a more expensive luxury car and the package rounds it out.
  • miser_manmiser_man Member Posts: 5
    just got my 09 TCH 3 weeks ago, and while I do use the electronic data display, I'm not really in love with the leather quality. My dealer had a trunk lip as an option, but I figured it couldn't help the mileage (and it was ridiculously expensive for what it is)

I bought mine in Burlington, Ontario. The price difference between the base and the Nav model was $2,800. Go back to you dealer and ask for a better price!

After a few weeks, I don't use the data display much, because I have learned how to drive it to maximize my mileage (I've averaged 50 mpg so far). I do use the GPS daily, but Toyotas DVD is hopelessly out of date. Houses that have been built for 3 years are not in the database, and the new highway that opened in Hamilton last year (and has been on the books for at least 10 years) isn't in it. They say a new one is coming out in the fall, but it will be $300.00. That burns me!

If I did it again, I'm not sure I woud get the Nav. I can get a really good GPS for under $500.00 and use it in my other vehicle, and the leather is so-so looking and feeling.
  • lferrislferris Member Posts: 5
    I just got my 2009 TCH a week ago. After shutting it down, it usually makes some whirling, somewhat high-pitched noises for about 5 minutes. Is that normal?

Also, after starting the car the gas engine usually kicks in within seconds, even with the A/C off. This occurs even if the traction battery shows as over half-full. Is this normal? If I leave it idling it will shut-off for awhile and then come back on. The gas engine is only consistently OFF when coasting or usually after coming to a stop at a light. Does all of this sound normal, or should it stay electric-only when under 20mph unless you are accelerating hard? I've read stuff indicating it should be off when stopped or going under 20mph.

I like the car alot, but I'm disappointed in some of the interior fit and finish. If you look close at all, the plastics on the door have bad "cuts" in some spots with rough edges, and the soft plastic is cut jagged in some spots. It is like this on two doors; the others are fine. I'm probably going to take it into the dealership, but is this typical?

Thanks for any info.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    I just got my 2009 TCH a week ago. After shutting it down, it usually makes some whirling, somewhat high-pitched noises for about 5 minutes. Is that normal?

Also, after starting the car the gas engine usually kicks in within seconds, even with the A/C off. This occurs even if the traction battery shows as over half-full. Is this normal? If I leave it idling it will shut-off for awhile and then come back on. The gas engine is only consistently OFF when coasting or usually after coming to a stop at a light.

That all sounds normal to me. Except maybe the high-pitched noises for 5 minutes. Is it really 5 minutes or less than one minute if you actually time it rather than estimating?
  • loves2readloves2read Member Posts: 48
    agree that the noises/engine changing to gas vs electric is normal
    sorry about your finish inside--ours which we bought in May has good quality even if it is a beige-grey plastic--
    our friend bought a V6 top of the line and she has the wood-grain film--looks nice now--don't know if it is strong enough to resist normal wear/tear usage for years...
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Also, after starting the car the gas engine usually kicks in within seconds, even with the A/C off. This occurs even if the traction battery shows as over half-full. Is this normal? If I leave it idling it will shut-off for awhile and then come back on. The gas engine is only consistently OFF when coasting or usually after coming to a stop at a light. Does all of this sound normal, or should it stay electric-only when under 20mph unless you are accelerating hard? I've read stuff indicating it should be off when stopped or going under 20mph.

Yes all of this is normal in the HSD system. There is always a 10 sec period at startup ( it's called phase 0 or zone 0 in the Prius boards ). Do a search on PriusChat.com I haven't been given a good explanation of what occurs during those 10 sec but my supposition is that MG1 draws some power off the traction battery to get the fluids in the ICE flowing and pumping without any fuel being pumped into the cylinders. Then the plugs begin to fire and the ICE kicks in. If you're still sitting in place the ICE 'repays the juice' borrowed from the traction battery then it shuts off after 30-60 sec. All quite normal and by design.

While driving don't worry at all about when the ICE is running or isn't running. The computer will take care of everything. The best thing you can do to induce the ICE to shutdown is take your foot off the pedal as often as possible and coast for as long as possible without blocking traffic. Anticipate having to stop as early as possible and coast for as long as possible. Otherwise the computer knows what's best.

BTW, the correct procedure for getting away from a dead stop is NOT to crawl away from a light or stop sign in order to try to keep it on battery power. This was thought to be correct in the first years. The hypermilers found in their playing around that it's much more efficient just to accelerate normally or even quickly up to 'traffic speed' then let off the pedal to induce the ICE to turn off while coasting for as long as possible ( Pulse and Glide ).

When you have a fully charged battery and you're in slow moving conditions or in your neighborhood where the speed limit is probably 25 mph then just keep your foot lightly on the pedal ( 'Feathering' ) which will keep the batter/e-motor engaged while not having the ICE turn on. You can drive a surprisingly long time like this, maybe as much as a mile until the battery draws down then the ICE will kick in.
  • lferrislferris Member Posts: 5
    Thanks a lot for the quick replies, that makes sense. It's actually kind of good that the engine turns on after starting -- it's safer backing up with kids when the car actually makes noise.

It has kind of clicked to me while driving that the best thing for my average mileage is to get up to speed by accelerating normally, then drive steady, and finally coast as early as possible (but like you said, without being ridiculous and blocking traffic).

My next question was going to be "is it normal for the battery to drain so quickly -- or is mine not holding the charge?" It sounds normal. Obviously moving a 3500lbs car takes a lot of juice. Does that mean all-electric cars will use huge batteries, or do those use a different type of battery?
    Thanks.

In reply to your questions in paragraph 3...
    Yes it's normal to drain the battery pretty quickly while driving while driving only on electric power. 1-2 miles is about the maximum on a dead flat terrain.

The all electric cars would need a HUGE NiMH battery to go any reasonable distance in a vehicle the size of a Camry, which is why the current technology is the more powerful Li-Ion batteries...but they are unproven as yet. They need another 2 yrs of engineering validation.
  • jaedyn_99jaedyn_99 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all.

I just picked up from 09 TCH three days ago. I am still learning the "best way" to drive this car, but I have a few questions that I need assistance with.

1) One issue that doesn't seem normal to me...When I am at a complete stop, and then push the accelerator to go, there is a pause, a bump, a jerk, and then it takes off. Is this normal? It's like a jerking movement. Am I pushing the gas pedal too hard or not hard enough? I've tried it both ways, and it does the same thing every time.

2) Also, when I turn on the car first thing, it's so quiet. Then about 10 seconds later, I hear the engine kick on. During the quiet seconds, is the car on? Am I able to move the car (back out of my driveway) during this time or do I have to wait to back out when the engine kicks on?

3) When can you use the "B" feature (battery mode) instead of putting the car in "D" (drive)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
    Unfortunately your sales person threw you the key fob and left you with a bunch of misinformation I'm afraid.

1) Yes it's normal. Ignore it. Just stomp on it and get up to speed. Then let off the pedal.

2) When the 'READY' light is on the dash you can just shift and go whether the ICE is running or not. As soon as you give it some gas the ICE will kick in. That 10 sec pause is built into all the HSD vehicles. Ignore it and just shift and go.

3) The 'B' has nothing to do with 'battery mode'. The only purpose of B is to act as engine braking in steep downhill situations so that you don't ride the brakes all the way down and over heat them. It's the same a low gear on any other car.

THIS should have been explained to you at time of delivery. It's right in the manual. There is no purpose ever to shift into B-Mode unless you're going down a LOOONNNNG downhill descent. Don't listen to anything anyone says about B-Mode and charging the battery.
  • nkaizernkaizer Member Posts: 25
    UNDERCOVER HYBRID

TOYOTA CAMRY HYBRID

BASE PRICE: $26,310

M.P.G. RATING: 33 city, 34 highway, 34 combined

COST TO DRIVE 100 MILES: $11.64 (regular fuel)

A YEAR OF FILL-UPS: $1,746

The Prius may be the mileage champ and a rolling billboard for its owners’ green attitude, yet I’d argue that the low-profile gas-electric Camry sedan is the best all-around hybrid for price, roominess, mileage and performance.

The Camry cuts the fuel bill better than any car in this group; the owner who drives 15,000 miles a year will spend just $35 a week on gas.

With the hybrid system’s net horsepower of 187 the Camry goes from a stop to 60 miles an hour in a snappy 7.7 seconds. That’s a full second quicker than a 4-cylinder gasoline Camry and nearly three seconds quicker than a Prius.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I can attest to that as an owner.

My last 15,000 miles and last 12 months coincide almost perfectly. My stats:

$28.70 spent per week on gas
    34.5 MPG average per tank.

It's a frugal car to fuel that's for sure.
  • tuxtailstuxtails Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, Gary here from the Boston area..Just picked up my new TCH... A few months ago i bought a prius, and love it also.. Comparing the two cars, I find the Camry heavier on the road.. More of a softer ride, gas milage is running me about 45mpg's, not to bad for a car this size.. My prius get me about 55-61 Mpg's.. I dont have nav,so on the tch, the display is somewhat different then on the prius..Im using a garmin in the car, however i notice it looses reception more often then in the prius... anyone have any insight to this?.. I picked a a lot of driving techniques from pruischat.com...
  • bfreeman333bfreeman333 Member Posts: 12
    I found some good deals in the LA area...

At Manhattan Beach Toyota, they're selling TCH's for $27,069 with a $1,500 factory rebate...making them only $25,569...

Manhattan Beach TCH 2009

I thought this was an awesome deal until I saw some other great prices at Valley Toyota, where they have a 2009 TCH for only $26,569 with the additional $1,500 rebate, making it only $25,069! I think that's pretty decent!
  • newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    I currently have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid that I bought in late September 2006, just in time for the full ($2,600) Federal tax credit. It is a great car. In the summer I average about 37-38mpg and in the winter about 32mpg. It is incredibly quiet and roomy although, like all Toyotas, I would not exactly call it sporty. The problem is, after nearly three years and 50,000 miles, I am getting bored with it.

Since I love the quiet and (relatively) great fuel economy of hybrids, I want to stick with one and with the full, $2,350 Federal tax credit still in effect for the Nissan Altima Hybrid, I think I can still come out ahead buying one. The NAH is a little sportier than the TCH, I like the backup camera available with the NAH and think Nissan generally has better navigation systems than Toyota but the TCH is roomier and quieter. I am tending towards the NAH but would first like to know if its fuel economy is comparable to that of the TCH.

And also, if anyone here has looked at both the TCH and NAH, why did you choose what you chose?

Thank to everyone in advance.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    My father is in the market and he is most likely getting a 2010 Prius instead. Much better mpg than the Camry et al and much more head room as well (the Altima is pathetic for rear head room).

Might one to give one a look, supposed to be a huge improvement over the 09.
  • rjohn2rjohn2 Member Posts: 2
    I live in South Louisiana where if a hurricane comes, I need to hit the road. If I leave too late, I get stuck in traffic, hence my concern with the TCH car that I have and the ability of the battery to maintain its power in very slow moving traffic. Traffic moves very slowly on the interstate and back roads, so the car very seldom has the opportunity to rev up and run on the gas engine. The same goes for leaving LSU football games where traffic is horrific when leaving the game.

My question is, if I put the car in park and rev the engine up, will the engine charge the battery back up so I can continue on with my trip out of town? I know that the car won't rev up with it in neutral.

Thanks
  • toyofan5toyofan5 Member Posts: 8
    No worries on the traffic. The hybrid is automated. So if you're running on battery and the hybrid battery doesn't have enough braking energy recovered in the traffic, it will turn the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) on for a little bit to recharge the hybrid battery. This is all automatic. It won't use a lot of gas as if you didn't have a hybrid the engine would be running all the time anyway. The net effect still in this type of traffic (hurricane evacuation) that you describe is still going to be excellent compared to all the others, and you'll get further on your tank of gas than everyone else in traffic helping with another worry on those times (running out of gas).

I have had my Camry hybrid for 18 months and its only been 2-3 times that the above scenario even occured, and both times the car performed well.

One tip is that if you find yourself in that situation, you might turn off the air conditioner, (and heat if you happen to be able to live without that too at the time) as those will accelerate the usage of the battery when on battery power alone in these siutations. You can certainly use AC/Heat, its not problem at all...it will just cycle the engine on a little more to keep the battery charged and then turn the engine back off. Still getting better gas mileage than all the other cars there.
    You don't need to do any revving at all. You can drive forever at whatever speed you desire as long as you have gas in the car.
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    Anyone looked/drove both TCH and the new '10 Prius?

I have a 07 Prius (instead of TCH because of CA HOV sticker), and looking to buy another hybrid soon (thanks to $4500 Clunker program). Like to get some feedback from folks who tried TCH and '10 Prius. Thanks.

Any words on hybrid minivans (C'mon Toyota all your minivan, Previa and old Sienna owners are waiting)?
  • vivianzvivianz Member Posts: 10
    I too live in south Louisiana, and one of the reasons I bought the TCH is it's ablility to go much longer on the highway than other cars. I have an 08, and have gotten excellent mileage. The only thing it has a really small trunk. You can't take much if you are evacuating. I haven't had to evacuate yet, but.....
  • rjohn2rjohn2 Member Posts: 2
    I did find out some great news last week, after worrying for the past couple of years about it. The Camry gas engine will automatically kick in once the battery level drops to a certain level, so there is no way you can get stranded in slow moving traffic unless your battery completely dies on the road and you have to stop your engine or you run out of gas. Then you have to have it jump started.

I was relieved about that.
    rjohn2 says, "The Camry gas engine will automatically kick in once the battery level drops to a certain level, so there is no way you can get stranded in slow moving traffic unless your battery completely dies on the road and you have to stop your engine or you run out of gas. Then you have to have it jump started. "

You are right about everything except the last sentence.

You don't have to have the car "jump started" if you run out of gas. The "engine battery" is separate from the "hybrid battery" and the car behaves no differently than any other gasoline-powered car if you run out of gas - put gas in the car and go.

If you leave the lights on all night, then you might need a jump start, just like any other car with a regular 12v battery which controls the power accessories in the car.

Let me know if you have any other questions - don't wait "a couple of years" before asking !!!

I have owned my TCH for three years and if I don't know the answer, I can find it.
  • pat85pat85 Member Posts: 92
    How do I remove the widshield wipers to replace them.?
  • jrsdriverjrsdriver Member Posts: 2
    I live in the U.S. and was told I had no choice but to have leather seats if I wanted the heated seats and side mirrors, which I did. I also wanted the NAV system. All these things are terrific in my 2009 TCH.

The only thing is that I would have preferred velour seats. Unfortunately, that was not an option.
    I agree. The last car I had with quality velour seats was the 1987 Cressida.

Those seats were AWESOME and PLUSH and GORGEOUS !!!

Toyota offering them as an option today would be a slam dunk for a lot of people.
  • aahmfaahmf Member Posts: 1
    Hey larsb,

Im thinking of buying a TCH, however, i have a newbie quetion if you would be kind enough to answer.

If the electric battery was removed or went dead, will the car and all its options (AC, Lights, radio...etc) stop working? in other words, will the car continue to run as a conventional one (gas) or will stop dead?

Your answer is very much appreciated. Thank you.
    Once in a while I feel a brief buzz coming from the steering column, it sounds like an electrical noise. I sometime hear it when the heating comes on. The car computer failed a month ago(had to get a new one), not sure if it has anything to do with this.
    You mean the hybrid battery, not the 12v starter battery?

The answer is yes, the car would be disabled without the hybrid battery. It is an integral part of the system.
  • akt1000akt1000 Member Posts: 15
    Are the US regions other than Washington getting any 2010 Camry Hybrid? I haven't seen any 2010 Camry Hybrid in our area (at dealers or their web sites) even though they were supposed to be at the dealers 6 months back. Still see only the 2009 models. Even the Toyota web site does not allow me to build the 2010 Camry Hybrid!
    (I had posted this question earlier at another Camry Hybrid forum with no reply, but am trying it again because this forum seems to be more active. Sorry about the duplication)
  • mechradmechrad Member Posts: 22
    I have had my tch since 1/08 I have 47000 miles on the car and I have on order a milan hybrid. Here are my feelings and recap of the tch. The car is bullet proof. Not one mechanical problem. Tires went at 30000 miles, brakes have not been replaced. We nick named the car daisy when we first got her because she moved so slowly it was like we were driving Miss Daisy. The car can only be described as vanilla. There is nothing exciting about this car. The interior is not very exciting and who chose that color for the center stack. I have averaged about 36 miles per gallon mostly highway driving. The car has taught me how to maximize mileage and for this I am greatful. It is time to try something new. I have test driven the milan hybrid and it is a bit more exciting to drive. The stereo is better in the Milan and I feel the interior and exterior styling is a bit more exciting. The weird 2 tone leather seats is not my first choice but they give you no choice in this. I hope that I enjoy the new car (if Ford would ever get around to building it). If I do not enjoy it I will be trading for a Lexus gs350 used, screw the mpg.
  • accel10accel10 Member Posts: 2
    My new 2010 tch does not smoothly accelerate from a full stop. When I press on the gas pedal it skips, stutters and then goes. The technician said that they even have a name for the issue. Does anyone have experience with this problem?
  • cdn_tchcdn_tch Member Posts: 194
    Need some more detail.

When does it happen? All the time? Only when the gas engine is running? Only when the gas engine is off? Does it change depending on how hard you accelerate? What are the road conditions? (If it is slippery, the VSC could be kicking in).
  • accel10accel10 Member Posts: 2
    The stuttering or hesitant acceleration appears to only occur when at a full complete stop.
    The road conditions are dry, it happens 95-100% of the time. I believe at a full stop only the battery is running so no the gas engine is off.
    I spoke to the dealer and there have been several others who have complained. I have driven hybrid Camrys and Highlanders before and it never stuttered. They have always accelerated smoothly.
    The mechanic referred to this known problem as "Pulse Width Modulation." and he said it does not happen on all of the Camry Hybrids.
    Pulse width modulation ?
    I have heard of pulse position modulation. It's used in unusual communication systems. I actually designed a PPM for an X-ray Communications System.
    I have never heard of Pulse width modulation. It sounds made up. I would ask them to fix it.
    Call their bluff. Tell them if they can't fix it, you want it declared a lemon, because the mechanic said it has "pulse width modulation" which makes it stutter all the time.
  • jbonjbon Member Posts: 5
    I have the same issue on an '11 TCH I picked up Friday..
    No stuttering if gas is applied very lightly.Said to be normal.
    Any follow up on your issue?
  • driverdudedriverdude Member Posts: 1
    I need to have the audio screen on my 2011 Camry-Hybrid stay active on my navigation screen instead of reverting back to the maps after a few seconds. Any ideas on how to increase the viewing time on the screen?
    I put 5 year lasting silicon windshield wipers on my TCH. I bought them from Amaazon. To
    change wipers, pull on the small tab at where the wipers connect with the arm.
    I hope this helps.
  • thorlinthorlin Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2012
    First time to the forums, great site. I currently have a 2010 Ford F150 4x4 XLT pickup that I bought new two years ago. Great truck....except now, it doesn't really fit my life for two reasons. One is the price of gas, and I would like to "downsize" my vehicle, and the costs that go with it; the 2nd is that my elderly mother is pretty ill, and there are times I need to transport her to the doctor. She is not able to get into my truck.

So I started looking at getting a different vehicle, and one of the first vehicles I started researching was the new Camry....both hybrid and regular. All the reviews on the Hybrid indicate it is a great car.

I have used my truck to haul things on a few occasions, and do like the ability to put things in the bed. However, I have not done it that often, and right now using the truck as a daily driver is getting quite expensive.

Friends at work suggested getting some type of crossover or wagon or small SUV. Suggestions being the Subaru Outback wagon, or one of the small SUV's such as the RAV4, CR-V, or even the new Mazda crossover....

I have had two Camrys in the past, and thought they were both great cars (1996 LE, and a 1999 Solara SLE V6), so I am predisposed towards Toyota. The Venza is a bit out of my price range....

The trouble is the crossovers and suv's don't get anywhere close to the mileage of the TCH....but I think the extra storage or utility of the crossover might be worth it.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, and we get pretty decent snowfall in the winter...which is another reason I liked my truck, with the 4x4.

At this time I really want something that I can use to transport my mom, and is cheap to own and operate....which I guess is why I come back to the TCH.

Thoughts? Advice? I feel kind of stuck at the moment....
  • snaab93se1snaab93se1 Member Posts: 69
    The TCH is a great car ....mine is a 2008 with no problems and 36.5 mpg over 62K miles....I do caution you however that if your mother has a wheel chair or ever requires one...that it WILL NOT fit in the trunk of the TCH. I might suggest looking at the Toyota Highlander hybrid but the price is higher. You will easily fit a wheelchair in the trunk of the regular Toyota Camry. Best of luck in your search and just curious...what mileage do you get with the F150?
    Thanks for mentioning wheelchair...meant to earlier...she has folding wheelchair...the 2012 TCH is supposed to have bigger trunk than previously...you think it would be too small? Was also thinking i could put it in the backseat...use a blanket or something to protect the seats. Otherwise was thinking of possibly the regular gas SE model....

As for gas mileage, I have the 2010 F150 XLT, supercab...4x4 (turn on 4x4 with switch), with the 4.6L V8....gets between 16 and 19....unfortunately most of my driving is city...so towards the low end. and in the winter when we use gas with ethanol, it goes down too. Otherwise, I love the ride, and the driving position...
    I'd bring her wheelchair and see if it fits in the trunk....I once fit a wheelchair in my back seat for an emergency, but it was very hard to maneuver in and I had to wheel it onto the seat and wrap the seat belts around to fasten it in place.
    How would the TCH be in snow? I live in eastern Washington state, and the last couple of winters have brought decent snowfall. I drove my Solara several years around here and there was only one winter where the snow was so deep I could not leave my house.
    The tires on the TCH have low rolling resistance, and so I wonder if they are "sticky" enough for driving in snow, or would I need to get a set of snow tires for it?
    Thanks again!
    Can't help you with the snow question...I live in Phoenix, AZ. I can tell you the A/C holds up well when its 118 outside...but you will never see temperatures like that where you are.
    I have LRR tires and they are fine in the rain (all 3 days a year) and they stick fine to the road just not as well as a high performance tire would.