Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota FJ Cruiser vs Jeep Wrangler

15678911»

Comments

• mountainman52mountainman52 Member Posts: 11
    Just to let you know. The only recall the FJC has had,to my knowledge, was for an incorrect GVW sticker on the door jam. ROCK ON FJ. TOW A JEEP, Drive a CRUISER.
    I own both. Jeep is good for off road. FJ is good for both on and off road.
    All I can say is if I'm driving to Moab, or any other wheeling location, I'll take the FJ. JEEP people usually have a problem with their egos. And I'm glad that at least I know the comfort of travel in my "FJC". Oh yeah 260h.p. vs. 202h.p. BYE BYE.
    GOOD LUCK, Pentastar engines for Jeep :lemon: will be HECHO EN MEXICO. Don't wander too far."BOOM".
    Depends on the terrain and conditions. You must own a jeep. :lemon:
  • Jim1947Jim1947 Member Posts: 6
    Most people who own a Toyota, have owned many domestics and had there problems with them, and most in the beginning struggled with the fact to buy a foreign car or truck and it took a lot of beatings from the domestics and allot of expensive repairs to convince them, the vast majority of people who buy a Toyota, stick with it for a reason, there by far less costly to own in the long run, they build them the most practical, not the most flashy, not the most eye catching, you don't buy Toyota for style, you buy it for longevity and stableness. The do make a good car and truck, bottom line, ask anyone who who actually owns one. MOST of the ones sold in USA are made in USA, unfortunately, not the FJ though, so when you hear people who own another makes bash Toyota's quality, when anyone can look and see 100s of different recalls on the competitors 4-wheeler, well you Can see how dumb you look. I used to own an old jeep, I liked my old jeep, I miss it. it was unique, you wont hear me bash it. You wont here MOST Toyota owners say anything about any other make unless there provoked, we are content with ours. I just really wonder about these people who never owned a FJ or a Toyota bashing it
    Good post[Jim1947]. I think most people have a tendency to stick their nose in a groove and follow it no matter where it takes them. There are things about a Jeep that undeniably are better than an FJC. But a person with common sense would think about their percentage of off road driving v.s. their on road driving. FJC is a much better all around vehicle. Better service record so far, more comfortable(IMO), and better ride.
    That being said I guess if you rock crawl all day, well then it's Jeep. But if you commute like most and like to go a distance to go wheeling it's my FJC hands down.
    THANK GOD FOR FREEDOM OF CHOICE!!
  • rock1tocrock1toc Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    We have had a Jeep in the family since 1963. The first was a 1963 Willy's Jeep CJ6 my dad bought from a fire station for 900 dollars. It lacked about every creature comfort that one could imagine and was highly underpowered with an I-4. But durability was never an issue. After an accident with a Chevy Impala; the car was determined totaled by insurance and because the Jeep had a bent fender and bumper the owner of the Impala who happened to be related to my Dad's boss decided to pay for the minor damage to Dad's Jeep and give him the engine from the Impala; a V-8 small block. It was perfect for the Jeep and with just a little work with Uncle Al we were able to fabricate all the parts and mounts needed to make our Jeep a hybrid powerhouse. Fact we had to weight the rear end because it would spin every time he hit the gas. With lock hubs it out performed the IH Scout every time we went off roading. We would routinely have to use the winch to pull out our friends that thought they had a chance behind us. With Jeep in my blood , I now own two Jeeps; the Commander and a brand new Jeep Wrangler with a manual transmission. I agree with the one article that complained of having an underpowered engine with the new V-6 but only at the low end and only with the automatic. I had one of them for a year and returned it for a stick. I have been all over with the stick and with the snow we just had I pulled near 20 vehicles (trucks and cars alike) from ditches. The Jeep Wrangler Sport that I have now has a limited slip rear end and endless torque with the manual transmission. I plowed through 5 foot snow drifts without hesitation and had no problem getting along where no one else could travel. The jury is still out on reliability. I do my own maintenance so I know the job is getting done right and with the best parts. When I got back from Iraq I bought a used 07 automatic; it made it through the 2010 ice storms without missing a beat. I was a little worried that with the soft top a tree might find a direct path to my head but the good Lord decided to spare my cranium from direct tree contact. Just for the record I am a 1SG in the Army so not making it to work has never been an option no matter what I had to do to get there. For years I have been what the Army sees as essential personnel with very few exceptions to that rule. The Jeep Wrangler has been my way for most of my 25 years of service. I am a real outdoors man so no 4X4 that can not go full convertible would do. I was disappointed when Jeep went away from the I-6 for the new engine but I have to admit even though it traded a little of the low end off road power, it made up for it on the highway. I had to face reality that my Wrangler has to also be able to perform on pavement. The new Jeep engine does not bog in even the strongest head winds that Oklahoma has to offer. My new on with a stick has had no problem facing the worst I could throw at it; even off road but in OK it is hard to really put it through an offroad test. I just had to adjust the way I play the clutch. My Dad's CJ 6 had a stick, granny gear, limited slip rear end as well as manual lock hubs for real four wheel drive. My new one has the electronic equivalent along with all the safety features not even heard of in 63; ESP, smart brakes and a power drive system that really does keep you on the road; ice, snow or whatever and an ESP shut off feature when in low lock so I can still play when I want to. As for the Toyota FJ Cruiser, I do not have much to say about it. Toyota's have grown in reliability so if it is what you want go for it but if like me you are in to Jeeps then from my experience they perform and well I like the way it looks.
    If you get a chance race an FJC of comparable stature. There's no way you can make up for 50 h.p. . I've raced all forms of jk jeep wranglers and haven't even had a close race yet.(you'll have to turbocharge it to get close to the same horsepower.) That being said, the jeep does have its following and it is a good off-road vehicle no doubt. At least some of the models are worthy. BUT, being a new jeep owner, good luck with Chrysler and their lack of customer service satisfaction. Quite frankly they suck! Remember one thing, comparing old jeeps with new jeeps is like comparing apples to oranges as far as reliability is concerned. You could beat the crap out of an old jeep and they'd still drag your butt out of the woods. Now BOOM and your done. And once again if it's under warranty, Oh Well. :lemon:
    B.T.Y. Thank you for your service to country. HUAH!
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    Owned Toyotas with no engine problems. Loved that little non supercharged Previa motor except for high wind days. Owned , we believe the first Liberty CRD in N. TX. - should have had a Cummins diesel in it. 32K miles on a 2009 JKU Rubicon. Some small issues and needed to add a Hayden tranny cooler. Hayden made in Australia others brag about B&M-believe both owned by Four Seasons with location in Coppell TX unless my one brain cell is out of its' socket.

Before ordering ours, the dealer had a JKU Rubicon on the lot that a FJ owner kept taking for days for test drives. We didn't buy it from under him after he brought it back a second time. Third time out, he bought it.

Never drove the FJ, needed four real doors like better_half's H3. Just spent yesterday driving hers all day and loved it. Then jumped in the Rubicon for a late catfish dinner. Still love the wrangler.
  • jdr818jdr818 Member Posts: 7
    I'm not quite sure why you would ever want to race a Jeep Wrangler, but each to their own.

I'm just amused by some of the arguments and comparisons in this whole discussion - a bit over the top. It's exactly the same as the never-ending Mac vs PC war. If I lived in a bubble, I might fall onto one side or the other, but I live in the real world where there's no single correct answer, no black and white, just shades of grays. Both Wranglers and FJs have pros and cons, but in varying degrees depending on your needs and wants. A Wrangler "pro" to person A might be a "con" to person B. An FJ may be able to do something a Wrangler can't, but in an interested buyer doesn't care about that ability to begin with, why even make that feature an argument?

All that being said, I love my Wranger for both off-road and also enjoy it as my daily driver. But I've been in a friend's FJ and liked it, too. Guess I'm just not a diehard fanboy at heart. ;)
  • pirate6pirate6 Member Posts: 4
    I have a sticker in my back window of my fj. Freinds don't let freinds drive jeeps.
  • jerrald13jerrald13 Member Posts: 1
    Well, my 2012 jeep wrangler has a sticker that says "Keep your Fake Jeep Cruiser. I'll stick with the brand that fought in world wars". (:
    There is a reason why jeep has best in-class... Well... Everything. And also why they have the largest back-up of after market parts. Cuz they are worth it. An FJ is just a foreign version of the Cherokee. U can't compare one with my wrangler also considering the price difference. My buddy has one. It's not bad, but it's not a true off road vehicle in my opinion. As the name says it is a cruiser. And it is more comfortable driving on the road. But i like fun over a small amount more of comfort. And my jeep has a CAI and will blow an FJ away with a 0-60 time of 4.2 seconds. V-6 mustangs have lost to it. Also, my jeep breaks down into a fully convertible SUV in like 10 mins doing it alone. Plus i have the 6-Speed manual.It's just too easy to odd road in an automatic. Oh, and not to mention how fun it is to slide around a slightly wet road when u shut off the stability controlls.... I have much fun sliding it and drifting it lol. I just learned how to do a 180 then spam it in reverse and keep going. Never had a problem with earlier models breaking down. And I beat them to death. So I will stick with my wrangler. Cuz there ain't nothing like a jeep.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    You do know that the FJ fought in World War II also. Just on the other side!

So that proves nothing.

I have 3 Jeeps and love them all. A 2000 GC with 201K (No problems)
    A 1991 Cherokee with 225K no problems and a 1998 Wrangler Sport with 140K no problems. Two have the 4L and the GC has the 4.7

But the fact that they fought in WWII doesn't make them better.

What do you think Toyota and mitsubishi were building between 1935 and 1945?

As far as making fun of Toyota not having as many recalls as american cars, well, Toyota just doesn't tell their customers until too many of them get killed. Until then they just ignore the problem or pretend there is none.

They are now paying a great price for that attitude.

That being said, Toyota does build good cars, so do the americans (now)
    First off. The subject was FJ vs JEEP WRANGLER ,not all jeep models and not all american cars . Second the fact that the jeep has its place, is well known( mostly being towed behind your camper). Third if anyone thinks that american car problems aren't kept hush hush,just remember the FORD PINTO and several other models. When hit from the rear the gas tanks exploded and the doors jammed shut. Can you say BBQ.
    Anyway the point was IMO FJ has an all around better setup than the Wrangler for the price. I don't know about the 2012 model, except the Pentastar engines were rumored to be HECHO EN MEXICO. Good Luck jerald13. Oh ....yeah alot of us FJ owners feel the same way as you do F. T.he W.rangler :lemon: By the way NONE OF YOUR JEEPS SERVED IN WW2. They had 4 cylinder flathead engines and most were built by, here's the BOMB,( FORD and WILLYS) NOT CHRYSLER /GET REAL!!
  • Jim1947Jim1947 Member Posts: 6
    now this is American Ignorance at its best, first of all your 2012 jeep has been around for a year, before that your brand was owned by someone else because they failed, 3 or 4 years before that, they failed and had to be sold, Chrysler has been sold a number of times, each time because they failed, the whole time the toyota FJ has been around, same owner, no help from anyone, just giving help to others, ok back to the jeep, before chrysler, it was AMC, when it was AMC, thats when they STARTED making jeeps in china where they still make them today, most jeeps were built in china and India and japan since the 80s, ok before AMC FAILURE, Renault own part of them for a while, before that failure, It was Kaiser Jeep, they failed, before them, Kaiser, they failed, then Willys, now none of these made your war time jeeps, by the way Toyota still made there FJs all the way thru all of these, same owner, Ford and Willys-Overland made them during the war I believe.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep
  • tenaciousb513tenaciousb513 Member Posts: 1
    Look Jereld. Of course if you compare a souped up v8 engine to the Toyota fj cruiser v8 246 hp engine, it's obvious that jeep will win. It's not a fake jeep either. Get your facts straight. Toyota's existence has been around longer than "JEEP". Soo technically if your gay jeep is the fake one here. Toyota is very reliable and it's one of the best motor companies with several of the largest names thru Japanese cars. Of course in the 1940s in the world war an American company had to serve the world with some vehicle, thus leading to the creation of "jeep"... The Toyota "Cj" and "Fj" we're in existence before jeep. Since Japan where Toyota originated was fighting the United States it would look terrible if they imported Japanese cars to fight against them. So jeep and Toyota both served in their militaries but over here in the US jeep is more "popular" because it's AMERICAN made. Toyota is big in Japan because that's where it originated...lol.
  • rovermolrovermol Member Posts: 1
    Okay, here's my take on things, and I think most of you are acting ridiculous. I own an FJ Cruiser, and I love it, but imo, you shouldn't compare it to the Wrangler. They are different! The FJ is more refined on-road - absolutely no doubt. First off, safety ratings are higher. Side impact on the Jeep is deadly - but Wrangler owners don't buy for safety anyway!! The FJ is incredibly smooth on-road, versus the harsher ride of the Jeep. It's quieter, and probably more reliable. In fact, Consumer Reports rated it the 14th most reliable vehicle made. Impressive. It's a tough truck that can handle off-road conditions. Now although the Jeep is less refined in many ways, it's superior off-road - lets not even argue that. I think the Wrangler is great - it's probably the best off-roader and has gobs of character. Tough as nails with a hardcore following. It's an amazing vehicle. So why are you guys trying to compare them when each excels in different areas. I'm sorry to all you FJ owners who really think the FJ can equal the Wrangler off-road - get real. But..sorry to all the Jeep owners who really think their Jeep compares to the FJ in everyday driving, which is 99.9% of your life!! So grow up everyone please!!!
    This is a forum for discussion. If you read the comments they're just people's opinions. And a good debate is not a sign of immaturity. Most of us who have posted expressed the same comments as YOU. ARE YOU IMMATURE FOR EXPRESSING YOUR OPINION? If so, then don't post. By the way the FJ is an SUV not a TRUCK. And most of the best offroad vehicles Ive seen, couldn't be called a Jeep or an FJ . They're home builds with a body on them. Take a stock Jeep on the Rubicon and you'll see what I mean. "Little sluice" will set you straight. :cry:
  • r1150gs01r1150gs01 Member Posts: 1
    I wouldn't even consider a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Why would you get a knock off when you can own the real thing?
  • ctrlfreakctrlfreak Member Posts: 1
    Because of the cylinder head issue and known transmission problems you always see with Jeep/Chryslers. I currently own a Jeep ZJ and am dealing with their tranny issue now, so I know of what I speak of. I was considering a 2012/13 wrangler, but have been put off by the way Jeep has handled the whole cylinder issue.
  • smokingjoe787smokingjoe787 Member Posts: 3
    Jeep Wrangler, Jeep anything owners are in Denial. Death Wobble, Hood Flutter, electrical issues, rough & noisy ride, unreliable & costly to own & maintain? How can it be better than an FJ? Oh that's right it can climb a 5 foot vertical wall. Well hell, there u go.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Jimmy56 said:

stever said:

How's the new FJ Cruiser going to stack up against the venerable Wrangler?

stever said:

How's the new FJ Cruiser going to stack up against the venerable Wrangler?

What new FJ cruiser! They do not make them any more. You talk about how great the FJ is off road. Just drive it in an open field so you do not run into anything for lack of vision. It is the worst car to see out of on the planet.
    The post you are replying to was made in 2006.

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator