Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Actually do care about the color a bit but it's way down my list of priorities. for some people it's the thing that is most important. I never understood this especially on a used car. I watched people walk past nicer used cars and buy a lesser car solely based on the color.

As far as options, I like a well equipped car but (to me) things like a push button starter are so frivolous that I just shake my head.

Maybe it's just the conservative, practical side of me?
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,369
    edited August 2013
    Was that Nomad completely original other than the drive train?
    If not, a 350 (there's lots of tasty ones) with at least a 3 speed auto or 4, is better.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Yes, it's original. Gypsy Red and white but the white is a non stock pearl white that doesn't distract too much. This Nomad is a LOOKER!

Original interior with the "waffle" material on the seats etc.

Yes, I know a 350/Turbo 400 is "better" but it's not original. The 265 Power Pack with Powerglide is what the car came with and they used to work just fine.

I realize for most people the "mods" wouldn't be an issue. I don't mind the dual master cylinder or front disc brakes.

If the 350 were fuel injected and it had vintage air conditioning I would be more interested. It does have RARE factory power windows and seat!
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,994
    I like a well equipped car but (to me) things like a push button starter are so frivolous that I just shake my head.

Do you live in an area that gets -10F temperatures?

I am not a gizmo person, but once I get used to them I like having them. Give me a rear view camera, built in GPS, lane change warnings (unfortunately mine doesn't have it but my wife's A4 does), ABS, Satelite radio, even better a hard drive or USB capability, Sport/Comfort/Eco options, Keyless entry and start, bun warmers and coolers,.............these aren't necessities but they sure do make life more enjoyable.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    Stopped by the dealer where I bought my Fusion to schedule my first service, oil change and tire rotation.
    Had to make an appointment for a week from next Wednesday!
    May or may not keep the appointment.
    Could not believe the Explorer I traded in is still there.
    It's a dark red 2011. On the dealer web site, it's listed as a candy red 2012.
  • Options
    "Do you live in an area that gets -10F temperatures?"

Nope and never would. Same for hot climates.

So, how is a push button starter going to help in low temps? I can see a romote starter helping if the heater was set to go.

Our 2013 CRV has a rear view camera and it's nice I suppose although my wife never looks at it and I rarely do.

GPS? My Garmin works fine.

Lane change warning? I suppose although I would STILL look back out of long ingrained habit.

Keyless entry? The 2003 has it but I have the remote in drawer. I don't like the extra bulk in my pocket besides I have the key out to start it anyway.

Bun warmers? I just don't like them. I start to squirm after a few minutes and I sure don't want cold air blowing up my rear end.

Still, I agree some of these items can be "nice" to have. Just not necessary at all, at least to me.
  • Options
    Some of my trades that I thought would sell immediately rotted on our lot while others that I thought should have been wholesaled sold right away.

go figure...
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Most dealers in my area have oil change service without appt. express service in an hour. Evening and Saturday hours.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,723
    "...it's listed as a 2012..."

Is the dealer stupid or dishonest? Certainly he could read the title. I've seen Craigslist ads where sellers play fast and loose with the year of the car but never a dealer.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Maybe they thought it was a 2002 when he traded it and gave him 2002 money for it!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    One of the reasons I went over there was to see if they have a Quick Lane, but I didn't see one.
    Since the salesperson didn't show me the service department, I didn't know where I was going to walk in.
    I saw a couple of drive in doors, but I wasn't there for that, so I went in through a door marked Service Department.
    After being told the way out, there is a yellow path you follow, a guy got up out of a glassed in office and opened the door into the path I was walking on just as I would have got there, if I hadn't seen him move toward the door and taken a step to avoid the door as it started opening.
    Maybe he was pissed off that I didn't stop in to see him on my way in, but I didn't know that was probably the normal process.
    Not getting a good vibe about them.
  • Options
    how is a push button starter going to help in low temps?
    IT JUST MAKES IT SO YOU AREN'T TWISTING YOUR WRIST AROUND - ONE STEP, JUST PRESS.

GPS? My Garmin works fine
    THE BUILT IN UNITS WORK MUCH BETTER. THEY WARN YOU TO START MOVING INTO THE CORRECT LANE MILES BEFORE YOU ARE THERE. THEY HAVE MORE FEATURES AND ARE EASIER TO USE, ALSO NO WIRES ALL OVER THE PLACE.

rear view camera and it's nice I suppose although my wife never looks at it
    I LIKE THE CAMERA AND IT SHOWS HOW MANY INCHES OR FEET YOU ARE FROM OBJECTS BEHIND YOU. I HAVE TO CURVE + BACK INTO OUR GARAGE, SO I LIKE SEEING IT ON THE CAMERA.

I suppose although I would STILL look back out of long ingrained habit
    AND YOU SHOULD, BUT IT IS JUST AN EXTRA MEASURE OF SAFETY KNOWING IF THERE IS SOMEONE IN YOUR BLIND SPOT.

I have the key out to start it anyway

NICE NOT TO FISH OUT YOUR KEYS WHEN YOUR HANDS ARE FULL. NICE HAVING THE POP UP TRUNK TOO.

I sure don't want cold air blowing up my rear end

IT JUST BLOWS COOL AIR THROUGH THE SEAT, MOSTLY ON THE BACK. I REALLY LIKE IT ON A HOT DAY AFTER TENNIS....HELPS DRY YOUR SHIRT AND COOL YOU OFF.

I'M NOT A GADGET PERSON, BUT ONCE YOU USE THESE THINGS IT ADDS TO YOUR ENJOYMENT LEVEL. I ALSO LIKE THE MEDIA CENTRE, I CAN CHECK OIL LEVEL, TIRES, NEXT SERVICE VISIT AND MORE JUST BY PRESSING SOME BUTTONS.

I KNOW IT ISN'T OF INTEREST TO EVERYONE, BUT, FOR ME, IT ENHANCES THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE.

• Options
    My mom is 83 and the feature she likes best about her Fiesta, other than she just about never has to put gas in it, is the push button start.
    It takes her about 10 minutes to find anything in her pocketbook.
    As a guy, it's not as big a deal, I still carry the fob in my pocket.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,954
    Keyless start is certainly better for the women, and even better for those who have a garage and don't need keys to enter their home.

Driver, I disagree about built in NAV. Garmin or any Android (Google Maps) phone is every bit as good or better. My wife doesn't use the built in NAV in our LaCrosse she says the phone is better. Having said that, the integrated looks a lot better with a much bigger screen.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited August 2013
    The best part about the built in NAV systems are that they are built in.
    You can get them upgraded.
    One of my kids bought a new DVD for their '09 Escape for $199.
    I told her to sell the old one on Ebay.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    IT JUST BLOWS COOL AIR THROUGH THE SEAT, MOSTLY ON THE BACK. I REALLY LIKE IT ON A HOT DAY AFTER TENNIS....HELPS DRY YOUR SHIRT AND COOL YOU OFF.

Down here in Florida, especially from May through November, the air cooled seats are very important to me with all the humidity and heat. So I agree with your comments, driver. Also, the GPS system sure has made my finding places so much easier. The new system is even simpler since now I can voice activate a destination with only one interaction since I can enter house number, street and city/town on one complete sentence.

As for keyless start and lock/unlock, I could live without that feature as well as the power open/close trunk. However, in general, these features are "options" which can be added or not added, depending on the need of the buyer.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    It takes her about 10 minutes to find anything in her pocketbook.

I forgot about that explorer, the push start without a key must be great for women who have huge purses filled with stuff......ever see one looking through a huge purse for her keys.

Isell has to consider what other people need too, it's not just all about him (Emotorcon with tongue out)

• Options
    As for keyless start and lock/unlock, I could live without that feature as well as the power open/close trunk.

When I come out of the house into the garage I go to the left, walk behind my car and then go up to the drivers door. If Gigi (little Bichon) walks beside me she sometimes goes under the bumper and the trunk pops open!

Sometimes these features can be a pain.(cry)

• Options
    A friend bought a new MKZ. I didn't have time to go for a ride in it but I sat in the passengers seat. I can't post a picture of the interior because of the repairs going on at this site...maybe later. Just from a quick check sitting in the passenger seat I thought the instrument panel was really overdone....lots of shiny material, and they were trying to make it look like a space ship. Seat didn't seem to comfortable, also slick shiny leather. Instrument panel was high...so vision was cut off a bit, and the hood is low so you don't see much of it...I think of it as driving a bus feeling.
    The console is extremely high and your feet go into deep wells, so you are really separated from the person driving. Good for driving people you don't know or if you were in an arguement with your partner.

More show than substance to me. Oh, in case you didn't know the whole roof can go back and it slides down the rear window leaving a fully exposed sun roof.

I give Ford credit for making the car look like a Stealth bomber, and the rear end is particularly well done....though the front is a little wierd...looks like a bmw that has been flattened.

To each his own.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited August 2013
    "However, in general, these features are "options" which can be added or not added, depending on the need of the buyer."

Speaking of features and gadgets, I like them all except for the Heads-up display. To me it's a little distracting since it causes my eyes to be fixated in one area. With that said I would like to see a radar and speed camera detector built into the GPS as well.

It's amazing though at the speed at which technology has evolved in the automobile. Would you believe that a 2013 Kia Rio has more tech features than a 1993 Mercedes Benz S500? Amazing!
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,399
    It sounds like our local Mini dealer; 10-14 days to get a service appointment- another reason we passed on a new/CPO Mini.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited August 2013
    What I can do without are all of the so-called "drivers aids" that primarily benefit only the most hopelessly inept driver. Blind spot monitoring? Maybe for a van or larger vehicle- in most every passenger car/SUV you need only adjust your mirrors properly to eliminate blind spots. Front radar? Do they not have eyes? Lane departure? Ditto.
    Still, my favorite option fiasco remains the dweeb who always buys the "sport" or "high performance" version of a given car and then proceeds to drive it like a half-senile octogenarian in a 1982 Seville.
    Or the Wrangler Rubicon owner who won't take it on a gravel road for fear of rock chips.

A pox on all their houses!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    Would you believe that a 2013 Kia Rio has more tech features than a 1993 Mercedes Benz S500? Amazing!

HOw did you get italicized print? But, that is an amazing fact. It's like a very poor person today probably has a better life than a wealthy person did in the mid 1800s. Think about life with no cars, no TV, no computers.....what would you do all day long?

About speed radar in the GPS....that would be illegal where I am and I am guessing it would be illegal in some states. It would probably be easy to add it to the GPS system, just may be a legal problem.

• Options
    , my favorite option fiasco remains the dweeb who always buys the "sport" or "high performance" version of a given car and then proceeds to drive it like a half-senile octogenarian in a 1982 Seville.

That may be me. I open up the 535 at times if I need to get on a highway or get around someone who seems dangerous. But, generally I try not to do anything reckless. However, I can still appreciate good handling, smooth engine, technological advancements that make driving more enjoyable, a finely finished interior, well thought out ergonomics, beautiful styling etc.

I guess I am saying you don't have to drive your car like it is a racing car to appreciate fine engineering.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited August 2013
    "HOw did you get italicized print?"

I use the HTML code at the beginning and end of the argument

By the way have you seen the new EV bicycle? I believe it's called the "Specialized Turbo," with a 342 watt lithium ion battery and a 1/2 hp hub mounted motor. It is supposed to make climbing hills a breeze.

Isn't a bicycle with an engine called a moped? Probably, but in the case of the Specialized Turbo, it weighs just 55 pounds but cost $5,900.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I guess I am saying you don't have to drive your car like it is a racing car to appreciate fine engineering.

No, you don't have to drive it like a competition vehicle, but I don't see the point of buying a high performance version when one is unable to exploit 50%(or less) of the capability of the base version. In other words, how does a driver "appreciate" a capability that he/she is not even remotely able to utilize?
    And I'm not singling out BMW owners- similar situations exist with respect to virtually every marque- although I'm reminded of the BMW operator("driver" would be far to generous a term) who told me he preferred an automatic because he wanted to be able to " to get in the car and not have to do anything."
    And please note that I'm not knocking automatics- just that idiot's mindset(the same doofus explained that he won't track his car because it would undo all the effort he spent on washing and waxing it).

• Options
    ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    bold text here

italicized text here

bold and italicized

And now regular text.
  • Options
    ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    edited August 2013
    http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/henrynettles/example%20html/text.jpg

Looks like there is no way to embed an actual image these days. Try to click on the link, above to see the source code for my post (one up) on how to bold and italicize.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,666
    Kirstie, no problem...today it seems everything is working fine (did nothing different from yesterday, when it didn't work).

I'm running OS X 10.8.4.

Usually, I hit the home page, choose "What's Hot" and then the Forums.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Kirstie, no problem...today it seems everything is working fine (did nothing different from yesterday, when it didn't work).

Mine still isn't working and I went out and then back in again.

• Options
    version when one is unable to exploit 50%(or less) of the capability

That reminds me of a neighbor we had when I was growing up. He would buy a new Ford product everytwo years and his last few cars were convertibles. He never put the top down, but he loved having a convertible, I guess because they were considered to be the top of the line.

I guess a 90 year old getting a 335 "M" package and using it to get groceries and going to doctors appointments would be the equivalent of that today.

• Options
    gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    "As far as options, I like a well equipped car but (to me) things like a push button starter are so frivolous that I just shake my head."

Isell--

I used to feel the same about key fobs. Our 94 Civic had power locks, but you had to insert the key to open the locks and enter the car. It never seemed like a big deal--and was far preferable to the manual locks on my previous cars. Then we got an 8 year younger car with the fob and I'll admit it was nice not to have to stick the key in the door every time (and risk marring the surface around the keyhole--I blame my wife).

I'm sure my colleagues on this forum are probably scoffing at my lack of keyless entry and push-button start, both of which seem to have wended their way in to lower price cars so I'm likely to have that on our next vehicle.

I wasn't exactly deprived before nor do I feel that way now, but I'm sure at some point I'll wonder how I lived without stuff like push-button start and keyless entry.

I'm so low tech I still use a Garmin GPS and carry OKC, Tulsa maps and a Rand McNally road atlas. The Garmin has lifetime map updates, but maybe I'll need an even bigger screen, which seems to be the direction many manufacturers have taken. When they produce a 13" (like my first color TV) I'll probably jump in--or maybe be forced to adopt because of aging eyesight.

Gogiboy
  • Options
    Buying a car with performance capabilities you will never use doesn't make much sense. That people would isn't surprising. There are so many fascinating contradictions in human behavior. Part of our dna, I suppose.
  • Options
    " It just makes it so you aren't twisting your wrist around"

Ah...Is twisting a person's wrist a big deal?

I must be missing a lot or abusing my wrist or something!
  • Options
    " Isell has to consider what other people need too, it's not just all about him"

"Need" or "want"??

Nobody "needs" a sunroof or a silly push button starter.

Man, my '52 Chevy was ahead of it's time!
  • Options
    I have to agree with Isell that most electronic gimmicks are (to me) just that--gimmicks.

Key FOB--two of my cars have them and I use them but would be just as happy with a plain old key. May be some value in hi crime areas but I don't live there. Push button start? No value. Modern FOBs are too bulky, just two of them in my pocket are uncomfortable, five would be painful. Besides, I'm always locking my wife's car when I sit down.

NAV-GPS--useful if you travel but otherwise too expensive. I'd buy a Garmin for 100 bucks before I'd spend $2000 for an installed one. Ditto Bluetooth. I'd be in a ditch trying to answer or talk.

Sunroof--here we disagree. Always wanted one, never had one.

Heated seats--feel nice on a cold winter day but I can wear long John's for less. Cooled seats? Maybe in Florida like Mike said.

Paddle shifters--ultimate gimmick unless you track your car.

I'm sure my grand dad felt the same way about automatic transmissions so what can I say?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Sometimes it due to marketing. I haven't wanted a car I've bought in a while, but I knew I wanted to get back to a sedan and when I saw and drove the Fusion I bought, I knew that was the car for me.
    Personally I enjoy all the gadgets, but I had to get the 2.0 turbo 4. I would have been happy with the 1.6.
    I'm fortunate to have my '02 Explorer as a winter beater and my 91 Mustang GT, if I want to drive something more extroverted.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2013
    Part of our dna, I suppose.

jayrider, it actually has nothing to do with our "DNA", but rather a number of factors that "entice" buyers (humans) to add/purchase these technological advances in automotive production:

*stupendous advertising by the automobile manufacturers urging you to buy their car/model because it has an innumerable gadgets and safeguards....
    *the unique attribute that humans have that enables them to "covet" what the other guy or neighbor has
    *the Federal and State governments for passing laws and statutes requiring these gadgets - seat belts, airbags, specific fuel economy perameters causing the industry to build engines that increase fuel economy...
    *High insurance rates which motivate drivers to add things like Vehicle Recovery Systems, Blind Spot Monitoring, Lane Departure Monitoring, Accident Prevention Systems, Anti Theft Deterrents, in order to get a lower premium, to name a few.
    *Planned obsolescence by the automobile manufacturers which encourages buyers to buy vehicles more frequently

And a host of other incentives and human weaknesses all rolled up into the animal called the human being.

I guess we have been "trained" to buy these things - definitely not born with this need - that's for sure.

So let's put the blame where the blame belongs - manufacturers and their advertisers and the various Federal, State and Local governments who force these things on us coupled with an insurance industry that will do whatever it can to get people to add so much safety and deterrent stuff to their cars that they won't have to pay claims.

I think that's it in a nutshell!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Ah...Is twisting a person's wrist a big deal?

Well, how do you feel about wind up windows? Do you have a remote control for the TV? Do you still prefer to get up and change channels every hour?

Anything that makes life easier is welcome. I am as slow as can be to wanting change or adapting new technology, but, if something is offered that makes my life more enjoyable, safer, less work, I am willing to go with it.

I don't think I want that park-itself feature. But, things that seem frivolous or like overkill (lane change warnings....cameras at the front to see left and right, are all useful and could prevent an accident.

Once you try one of these devices and get used to it you really don't want to be without it. I can't think of anything I would want to give up - though I am not a technoperson at all.

• Options
    Need" or "want"??
    Nobody "needs" a sunroof or a silly push button starter.

Not much difference between "need" and "want". If we just bought what we needed we would all buy a Scion...gets you from A to B as cheaply as possible.

Some people get great enjoyment from saving money by finding the least expensive item possible. I know several people like that. Nothing wrong with it. But, for slightly more you get something that has more features that will come in handy or that you will appreciate some day.......for me, I say, I'll only come this way once so I want to enjoy the ride the most I possibly can.

I renewed my Sirius radio for $90 a year. I use it fabout 3 or 4 times a week, probably a total of 1 hour. On the way to Florida I may use it for 10 hours each way = 20 hours. So I use it for about 90 hours a year, it is actually worth $1 an hour for the enjoyment it gives me. It isn't worth more, but, yeh, I'll pay that to get some decent music via satelite so I don't have to try to find a decent station - at least I have "search" feature if I did, I know some people don't mind trying to find something using a "dial".

• Options
    karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    Are the extras necessary, certainly not. Are they overpriced, almost always. But for man of us, just like the ice dispenser in the fridge, streaming TV, and central air, it is often the technology which makes the day.

Push button start, wonderful. Love it.

Built in navigation, wonderful. Usually comes with added features like back up camera and upgraded sounded system.

Heated seats. Nothing better on a winter morning.

Moonroof. Makes the drive far more enjoyable.

The bottom line is life is short and it is best to make the most of it. For many of us the extra, modern technologies just make life more interesting and, yes, more enjoyable.
  • Options
    The bottom line is life is short and it is best to make the most of it.

Exactly....live life to the fullest (within reason though - it is a fine balancing act, keep enough around so you won't have to eat cat food one day).

I have talked about some friends we have who have saved many $millions. They don't have air conditioning, they have old 20" cathode tvs until they finally broke down, they drive a 2008 Uplander, they burn old newspapers in their fireplace, they hardly ever go out to eat in a restaurant. The wife died about 2 months ago and her husband is rewriting his will. He doesn't have any direct relatives, just a neice and nephew in another country. The niece and nephew will get well over $1 million each! The unfortunate thing is these two people could have enjoyed a few extras themselves, now a niece and nephew who they hardly know will end up with all the money they carefully saved.

Like you said Karhill, having nice things that you enjoy is a good thing. You shouldn't feel like it is a waste of money or feel guilty....if you want it and you can afford it, then go for it.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,167
    >The niece and nephew will get well over $1 million each! The unfortunate thing is these two people could have enjoyed a few extras themselves, now a niece and nephew who they hardly know will end up with all the money they carefully saved.

That's if a vulture doesn't fly in as a caretaker for the gentleman (or a new wife) and gets him to insert him/her in the will instead of the relatives due to the day-to-day care the health/nurse provider gives. Happened to my cousin and his wife who were childless and were taken by this lady who helped with housekeeping and doctor appointsments, etc.

After their deaths, she cleared the house on the farm of antiques, sold it, burned her own home in a nearby city, and disappeared to Florida. Cousin thought she was going to move into the home and the farm.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,954
    I think that many features are somewhat frivolous, but at least for the most part it's your choice whether to buy them or not.

I tend to like buying a car very well equipped. It doesn't have to have every option available but certainly not base model either.

Here is my breakdown on the newest stuff....

IMO all the safety gear is important. I really like the blind spot monitoring especially in our Buick which has crappy visibility. ABS/traction control/
    Stability control all have their merits.

Heated seats: hate them

Cooled seats: wish they worked better but love them

Push button start. Meh, cool though.

NAV, like the integration but need cheaper and more frequent map updates from the auto makers (honestly it should just be able to connect to your home wifi and update itself)

Power accessories. The more the better

Steering wheel controls, must have

Moonroof, used to be a must have but not couldn't care less

Auto temp control, would miss it

Backup cam / sensors ; again not necessary but make life easier.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    as a caretaker for the gentleman (or a new wife) and gets him to insert him/her in the will

That happens a lot. Right now, our friend is of a sound mind and he is redoing his will while he, as he says, has his marbles.

There are a lot of dishonest people out there so it is best to safeguard your assets as best as possible.

Like I said before. If I go first I told my wife I don't want her giving my BMW to any new boyfriend. She has agreed to sell the car if I am gone!

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,449
    It is amazing how easy it is to get control of an elderly person's finances... even those of sound mind.

I was my mother's guardian for the last four years of her life. And, while I was a faithful steward of her finances, I could have just as easily taken it all for myself.

I'm now worried about my uncle, who is 85. He has all of his faculties, but is much too trusting of people he likes. He has a caregiver for his infirm wife, that he trusts with way too much. I could easily see his upper 6-figure estate dwindle over the next few years, when it really shouldn't.

I've watched my mother-in-law be taken advantage of by her son, after my father-in-law passed away. He was "helping" her with the family farm, until he blew all of her resources, and now she lives on Social Security.. Of course, after the money was gone, he goes out and gets a job, something she can't do at 80 yrs old...

It's all very sad..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...were spent by me and my family in Vermont camping, being tourists and visiting a couple of colleges.

The old adage is that the official state car of Vermont is the Subaru. Although they are all over the place, I'd have to say that CR-V's, RAV-4's, Santa Fe's, et al are very common as well. What they all have in common is AWD, reliability and relative affordability.

I saw plenty of Prius', Volts and even Leaf's - the vast majority with VT plates. There is a car charging station next to the Green Mountain Coffee visitor center/coffee shop in Waterbury that was in use every time I stopped by for coffee and wifi. IIRC, it was $2 an hour to use.

In addition to Green Mountain Coffee, we hit the normal stops: Ben & Jerry's, Cabot Creamery, Bragg's Sugar Shack, mooed at the local cows, et al.
  • Options
    I've come to believe that folks who live like paupers with millions in the bank find satisfaction in living on the cheap.That life style doesn't seem to be passed on to their heirs from my experience.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,974
    We are very alike in this respect...I want my vehicles to be reliable and don't want or need all the techno stuff. I will admit that for my next, and probably last vehicle, I do want a bit more lux and will shop accordingly but we're talking in the year 2016 or 2017 if I stick to my plan. Luckily, all this is subject to change as nothing is ever written in stone.

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    I was watching a commercial for MINI and it was definitely targeted towards youth as the cars were driving on two wheels, fishtailing around corners and painting pictures while spinning hula hoops and lasers. Fine and dandy.

But the disclaimer said: EUROPEAN MODELS SHOWN.

Why would they do commercials for Americans using European models? Are they better?

This discussion has been closed.