Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum Maintenance & Repair

124»

Comments

• findthefirefindthefire Member Posts: 7
    55,000 miles of easy driving. The part cost $400. Anyone else have this problem? 2005 magnum awd rt is a piece of junk !
  • davis27davis27 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    About two weeks ago, I noticed that my car had a problem starting, as if the battery was dying. I also noticed that my turn signals did not work. This confused me because my harzards worked. When my car did not start for two consecutive mornings, I took it to my mechanice. He tested my battery and alternator and said they were fine. He said that there might be an electrical malfuction and so he dissconnected my radio and power door locks. He said that should keep my car from dying. With that done, it still dies. I had to get a boost this morning and again after work. Do anyone know what the problem is?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Turn signals and hazard lights are intentionally on separate circuits. Your turn signals not working could be as simple as a bad flasher on the fuse panel.

The draining of the battery should be checked with a meter while the engine is off to see if there's anything "running" that shouldn't be.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • davids1magnumdavids1magnum Member Posts: 2
  • ryan05magnumrtryan05magnumrt Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 magnum its literally been nothing but heartache since i bought it, i got home in the rain a few weeks ago turned the car off and the windshield wipers kept going i ended up pulling the fuse after getting pissed off in the rain at night for 20 minutes..anyone know what to do?
  • ryan05magnumrtryan05magnumrt Member Posts: 2
    ive been my magnum since 06 got it used with 9,000 miles on it, it seemed like a bargain..it was my first car and I thought it was a really cool car.....4 years later ive replaced inner and outer tie rods twice and steering control arms and every bump i hit it sounds like something is about to break and at this point i hope it does because any auto shop/dealership cant seem to figure it out but fixes something that doesnt end up being a necessary fix..i regret not getting the 70,000 mile warranty
    I will never buy another chrystler again in my life. anyone have a guess on what is slamming around on every bump on the road?
  • transmission1transmission1 Member Posts: 2
    the number is on the side of the block
  • transmission1transmission1 Member Posts: 2
    usually it's a bad alternator, but it could be the wiring between the alternator and the battery
  • irene10irene10 Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if their is a recall on 2005 cars for this problem with the lights flickering on/off???
    we're experiencing the same thing with the exception of the lights actually being off, they
    will go on.. and when we turn the lights on the headlights will flicker on and off and sometimes
    stay off for 2-3 mins so we have to drive with our high beams til they flicker back on. I can
    deal with the $90 bucks if thats all it is, we're taking our car in on Monday and I'll let the svc
    manager know our 2005 dodge isn't the only car having this problem.. thanks for the info...
  • findthefirefindthefire Member Posts: 7
    Same problem @ 50,000 miles> r/t awd also. Just waiting fir the other side to go. My toyota never brakes !
  • dnelson811dnelson811 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced both!!! OUCH!!! I was able to get both of the control arms from Mopar for 300 each. Then another 300 in labor from the mechanic and he has always been very cheap on labor for me. I have the 05 Mag rt awd and she has 136,000 on her. I have gotten great use out of her. However; my tie rods (both driver side and the outer on the passenger side are now bad. Here goes another 400!!! I do have a problem with the fact that this will be the 3rd time replacing those damn things though. Overall i would have to say that she has been a good car for me.
  • bbfd86bbfd86 Member Posts: 42
    I have a 2005 Magnum R/T AWD. Looking to get new front brake rotors at 125,000 miles. Dealer wants $350 for two Mopar rotors installed. Monro Muffler will install two Wagner rotors for $180. Anyone have experience with Wagner rotors? Will third party rotors void the national lifetime warranty on the Mopar brake pads?
  • ladyboopladyboop Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 dodge magnum and is having the same problem with my headlights and dash board lights flashing on and off. It is driving me crazy and i'm scared to drive it. Do you think that the 06 is the same thing.
  • sabobasaboba Member Posts: 5
    I would think it is when I talked with my dealership they never told me what it could be and after 700 bucks I was still having same issue they reflashed the ecm and they where perfect. I only paid 120 for them to flash it and if that does not fix it then you are gonna have to hunt for the problem.
  • trumanatortrumanator Member Posts: 1
    Howdy - I have a 2005 AWD R/T Magnum and coming up on 116,000 miles - thinking about brakes soon and searching for the best choice for this vehicle - no problems other than a miss when giving it full throttle that no one can fix?

Regards TTL
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
  • srkaponesrkapone Member Posts: 2
  • srkaponesrkapone Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 magnum R/T is giving me fuel problems. At times when I put injector cleaner in the gas tank I get a mileage reading of 435miles...then the following time I fill it up I get less miles. i get like 265miles....anyone got any advice?
  • monniekmonniek Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my lights and dashboard flashing on and off while I'm driving. Does anyone know what the problem is??? I would like to have this problem fixed the first go round without spending extra money.. If anyone can help please please help me!!!! 06 model
  • snowshoe3snowshoe3 Member Posts: 2
  • mathmajormathmajor Member Posts: 1
    The 2005 magnum doesn't have a cabin air filter.
  • dmagnum2005dmagnum2005 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2005 Dodge Magnum in '05 with only 400 miles on it. I have had only 1 issue and that was a simple replacement of the headlight switch ($49) due to interior lights flashing and cutting out. Everything else has been perfect until 1 week ago when my car began to randomly stall. It seems to happen at lower speeds and will run fine for a couple days before symptoms return. I have had error codes P0335 (cranshaft sensor) and P061c (electronic throttle control 2nd RPM). I have seen some similar symptoms in this forum but everyone seems to receive different remedies from their dealer (and they don't seem to resolve the problem). I don't want to get into the game of having my dealer troubleshooting and replacing good parts. Has anyone had this problem and truly found a repair. Please help me if you have.
    Thank you!!!
    Jeff
  • magridermagrider Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Magnum & had a rattle in front end also,we replaced the sway bar links with Masterpro from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $60 & no more rattle!
  • thoof2001thoof2001 Member Posts: 1
    You do realize that the Dodge Magnum is essentially a Dodge-bodied Mercedes E class, right?
  • cjhmagnum05cjhmagnum05 Member Posts: 1
    The flash file worked for us and the Service Mgr. called to thank us for the information! It also fixed the sunroof which, wouldn't seat all the way down! Now we are working on the brackets for the front hood and back hatch. Those slam down!!! We bought them at dealearship, installing ourselves.
  • chucksrtnashchucksrtnash Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 dodge magnum rt with 151xxx on the dash and i have only ever had to replace the tie tod ends from hitting a curn and break the old one. the front end noise you are probably getting has to do with the lower linkk arms. check the fronts and rears on both sides. goes from body of the car to control arm and connects with ball joint.
  • jdascoutjdascout Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a Magnum, I see that many have had sway bar bushing/link wear out problems. And you replace the part and same thing in 15K miles. If the O.E. part only lasted you 15K why replace it with the same part? Spend the extra money and go with MOOG parts for suspension parts and while at it have them install zert fittings to the ball joints. If they get lubed they will last longer. I am in the auto parts business and I have a 2003 Dodge Neon S/E that is about to turn 200.000 miles. I also have a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country with 150,000+ miles. Time to sell my 1995 Mercury Sable wagon even though it still gets 21.7 mpg around town and 28 hiway. A little maintenance and spring for the upgrade parts goes a long way. I have gotten over 300K on 1985 Mazda pickup over 300k on two VW Jetta GLI's.
  • hemiolahemiola Member Posts: 1
    Our 05 Magnum started doing this about a year ago. After some research, we found it was the gas tank - if we filled the tank, it would stall at stops or low speeds. If we open the cap and relieve the pressure a few times or just don't fill it completely, it is ok; haven't had the problem since doing that. Who knows why it started doing it at all after a few years tho...
  • cmondodgecmondodge Member Posts: 5
    Houston tx, I have 2006 dodge magnum rt ,lights flicker inside and out .dash same way in sync with head lights, I'm on the beltway and it lost power as if shutting down no service light on on dash .dealer has headlight switch for 50 that's fine but what else is going on please help.I purchased at northwest dodge
  • sabobasaboba Member Posts: 5
    I did allot to try and get the issue fixed replaced the alternator and the battery and the head lights and the switch all thinking that was the issue in my 2005. I ended up hearing there was a updated controll module flash and pai them to do the flash was like 120 And they took and hour and Half but the issue went away following that no of the other things showed up. I ended up getting rid of mine because I did not want to deal with the issue again if it came back but the flickers is the brain telling the car the battery does not need the power so the battery looses charge and then ends up needing to get replaced. Good luck hope this helps.
    Headlight control switch replaced lights fixed.car is still stalling ,on the freeway powers down but catches itself surges back up,did stall going under 45 and in walmart parking lot.service light now comes on .the code it gave on sun at autozone was u0100 .going back to dealership in morning.ive read that it's a bad tcm it's losing communication with ECM .please help Houston
    Northwest dodge , it was the contol light switch caused short fried pcm problem fixed.1164.48 later thats not cool at all.
  • bwtolliverbwtolliver Member Posts: 2
    My husband purchased a 2006 Dodge Magnum (Hemi). And whenever we go on a long trip ( approx. 100 miles) we hear an “alert warning sound”. Similar to what you would hear when fuel is low. Except it’s 2 chimes and nothing on the dashboard lights up to signal a problem. It will happen, maybe once or twice within an hour period of the drive and then never again for the remainder of the trip. It happens going and coming. We cannot figure out why or link it to anything happening at the time. I will say it happens after driving about 100 miles. Usually the elevation is higher than normal (Pennsylvania), but that’s it. We’ve done the same trip twice and both times this happened. I’ve looked through the manual and can’t find anything that helps. We’ve had the car for a year and it only happens during this long trips, never during local driving. Any ideas??!!
    Run it by autozone to see what code its shooting.
  • bwtolliverbwtolliver Member Posts: 2
    Will it still show a code based on the chime alone? Even if nothing is "lighting" up in the dash as a problem?
    Yes .it may be that the system just needs to be flashed this has fixed many others issues.
  • bluphibluphi Member Posts: 1
    Thank you guys so much for the advice on having my computer flashed. It has stopped the headlights and interior lights from blinking and also the battery light from coming on. I had the alternator checked and replaced my battery and it continued to flash. It was puzzling me to know end. Then I googled Magnum electrical problems and found this forum. The best thing I've done all year. Thanks again for saving me time and money.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
  • katielodomkatielodom Member Posts: 1
    Any advice with this post is greatly appreciated. I own a 2006 Dodge Magnum SXT, and I have changed every oxygen sensor on it. However, the check engine light still remains on, but that is not my primary concern. About a week ago, my car was hesitating to start, so, I had the battery tested and it needed to be replaced. I did that, but the other problem that really concerns me is that they have a light on the dashboard of an electric bolt, and it is flashing at all times. I read that means that your vehicle needs servicing immediately. My problem is that I have fixed many things myself on the car because people just try to rip you off, but I am clueless as to where to even start with this. I am also getting terrible fuel usage, and my car seems to not accelerate any faster then 75 mph. Could this possibly be the catalytic converter? The reason I ask that is because it has been mentioned to me before. Once again any advice is much appreciated.
  • magnumchickmagnumchick Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum that I bought new with less than 100 miles on it. I now have over 220k on it and it's been doing great until the past 6 months. The problems got worse today. I need some help on what to do. I'm on a VERY limited budget, would like to fix whatever I can myself. As you can tell by the mileage, this is my only vehicle, I can't afford to have it in the repair shop nor can I afford costly repairs. So here's the issues. For the past 3 months, the car has been stalling. Its usually when decelerating or coming to a stop. I don't lose power anywhere else, the radio and ac still work fine. But the RPM's drop to zero so you know it's off. Throw it in neutral, quickly refire and keep going. There's no rhyme or reason behind it other than the stalling usually happens when decelerating or stopping. A couple of times I have pulled to red lights and noticed that the temp gauge is on C and the fan is running constantly but I have been on the road long enough that it shouldn't be cold. So turn it off and turn it back on and the gauge is fixed. So yesterday I pull out of a gas station and onto a side road and it died before I got to the stop sign. So a good Samaritan helped me get it pulled into a lot and jumped me off. Went to Sam's and bought a new battery. Seemed to fix that issue. But the RPM's are all over the place, hitting the gas in park doesn't immediately rev the engine. Hitting it very softly will sometimes rev the engine VERY high. I will say the car doesn't stall as much when the ac is off. So I took it to have the codes read and came up with four different ones. P0116 (engine coolant temp), P0562 (System Voltage Low), P0700 (Transmission Control System) and U1403 (something with the gas system). Today I browse some forums and they say to pull fuse 11. Did that and now the car will start and turn off very quickly. It won't stay running. Kept playing with it and finally got it to stay on but before I get to the end of the drive way it's dead again.
    HELP!!! What is causing my issues?!?!?! I know I need to do some general maintenance to the car like spark plugs but would that cause all these issues???? Any and all advice is welcome.
  • ironman45ironman45 Member Posts: 1

my dodge magnum 3.5 high output has 113k miles on it. and for some time it is consuming a quart of oil about every 1000 miles. never had a new car that used oil like that. it doesn't leak or smoke. can anyone help me figure this out ?
    one dodge mechanic said this is normal. any other info ?

• chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35

Hello ironman45,

Industry Standards for Normal Engine Oil Consumption:

Mileage below 50,000 miles / 80,000 kilometers: Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 1,000 miles driven / one litre for every 1600 km's driven.
    Mileage above 50,000 miles / 80,000 kilometers: Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 750 miles driven / one litre for every 1200 km's driven.

Oil consumption can vary, in each vehicle, due to many different circumstances. Some of the following are examples under which oil consumption may increase on a vehicle:

1. Age and mileage due to normal engine wear.
    2. During engine break-in time, typically up to about 7500 miles
    3. During severe service use such as heavy loading, towing, off road, etc.
    4. Sustained high speed driving.
    5. If there is a failure to comply with recommended oil type and viscosity ratings as outlined in the owners manual.

In order for excessive oil consumption to be determined, a supervised oil consumption test must be performed by the dealership, and an evaluation made.

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC

• ejay4718ejay4718 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 R/T mag. I recently overheated so I found that the radiator was leaking and the fan was broken. I replaced the radiator and the fan and flushed the system and refilled it. The car is still overheating . Anyone got any suggestion on what it can be or what I should try?