Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Current Best New Car Deals

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
Know of a special or a model that's going for a bargain price right now? Let us know what makes/models you've seen recently with great pricing!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    With a $2000 cash incentive and most dealers putting another $1000 plus on the table a '06 PT Signature Series with A/t for $16200.00 is a pretty good deal.

believer
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yeah, if you want a Neon with a retro body on it.

If a person really likes these, they can get a great deal on a slightly used one because of the high depreciation.

It seems the bloom is off the rose on these.
    yeah, you are correct about the "Neon Baggage" but if you are going to drive the wheels off the thing then depreciation is of no concern. As a low bux "grocery getter" the PT is still a pretty good deal, all the equipment you get for the money on the "Signature pkg"

I remember some time back you seemed to dismiss Hyundai as well. Are you still laughing now? Locally Hyundai is outselling brand "H" by a pretty wide margin.

Always good to hear from you and your opinions anyway.

believer
    Where is "locally"?

I doubt very seriously if Hyundai is outselling Honda anywhere.

I never was "laughing" and my opinion of them remains the same. They are much improved from the early models but they are still Korean cars.

I'm sure reliability has improved but they still suffer from horrible resale values. As used cars, they arttract few buyers.

And you are correct, if you plan to keep your cars until the bitter end then resale values don't matter.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The new Mountaneer and Explorers have very good lease programs in the northeast....With a blizzard arriving here in a few hours some of you might be taking advantage soon.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Not to be argumentative, but in Pittsburgh Hyundai not only outsells Honda, but Toyota too.

Resale is getting better, but nowhere near Honda. I just took in a 2001 Civic DX coupe with 37k miles for $7200. Wasn't that car about $14k new? Not one to buy for a used car bargain. I checked all the books and the number was right on.
    Unless Honda has some horrible Honda dealers in Pittsburgh?

Ditto for the Toyota stores!
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    It's more the market here. We have a Hyundai store sitting next to our Nissan store. Same management team for both of them and Hyundai outsells Nissan 2 to 1. My Hyundai store outsells our other one by the same ratio.
    Isell: State dmv stats tell the tale.

still a believer
    I just don't understand. They sure aren't very popular around here new or used!
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Look for them to start making a dent soon, because they definitely appeal to people who want a new car but can't quite afford a Honda, Toyota or Nissan. They are indeed much improved, and their warranty helps sell the cars too.

Re the PT Cruiser: my sister has one, totally loves it and wouldn't be without it. Hers is two or three years old now. She doesn't care about resale value either, will own it as long as it's standing. It's a perfect run around town, park and shop kind of car.

Their other car is a Cadillac, so they've got their bases covered, whether they need the highway cruiser or the run-around town mobile.
    Any "savings" realized by buying a Hyundi disappear at trade in time! They were forced into the long warranties in an attempt to win confidence in what had been a troublesome car.

I agree, they imnproved. They had to. I would still rather have a two year old Honda or Toyota, but that's me.
    Isell: Not being flip but let's be honest, your customer base is probably more sophisticated there in Seattle ( how else could you explain Starbucks?) and I suspect the median income is higher than here in the Sunshine State.

biancar is right. The appeal of a new car with a killer warranty appeals to folks that just cant see the difference on the surface between a Honda or Toyota. If you have not taken the time to REALLY look over a new Sonata or the new Azera you should. You will be amazed !! That new Azera is for a fact getting mighty close to a Avalon in quality, fit and finish etc. at a bargain price. Please go do that and report back with a unbiased opinion. (is that even possible for a Hyundai salesman LOL !!)

Hyundai is a knockin' on your back door. I think nationally they are fifth in sales and may be even fourth by now. This speaks volumes for their perceived value and reliability.

I remember "back in the day" when Honda first started out in my home town they were selling that little, butt ugly car in the parking lot of the local hardware store. Hyundai has already gone thru that stage and is going to be a company that will rattle all the collective cages of the competition from now on. NO- I don't work for them.

believer
    Isell: Not being flip but let's be honest, your customer base is probably more sophisticated there in Seattle ( how else could you explain Starbucks?) and I suspect the median income is higher than here in the Sunshine State.

biancar is right. The appeal of a new car with a killer warranty appeals to folks that just cant see the difference on the surface between a Honda or Toyota. If you have not taken the time to REALLY look over a new Sonata or the new Azera you should. You will be amazed !! That new Azera is for a fact getting mighty close to a Avalon in quality, fit and finish etc. at a bargain price. Please go do that and report back with a unbiased opinion. (is that even possible for a Honda salesman LOL !!)

Hyundai is a knockin' on your back door. I think nationally they are fifth in sales and may be even fourth by now. This speaks volumes for their perceived value and reliability.

I remember "back in the day" when Honda first started out in my home town they were selling that little, butt ugly car in the parking lot of the local hardware store. Hyundai has already gone thru that stage and is going to be a company that will rattle all the collective cages of the competition from now on. NO- I don't work for them.

believer
    Last night I watched a Hyundai commercial for a Sonata and I have to admit, it looked really nice. I've never even heard of a Azera? Where do they come up with these names?

Looking at that commercial, it was clear to me that they are going after the Accord/Camry market.

And, I too remember, when the first Japanese cars were introduced, and I remember hearing " Who would ever buy a car made in Japan?"

Detroit was smugly sleeping, and Japan was quietly and efficiently producing quality cars.

I think the Koreans stumbled badly with their initial offerings and for people like me, we keep thinking "It's still a Korean car". Had they produced a quality product from the beginning, and they COULD have, they would be a whole lot more accepted than they are now.

And, I know marketplaces vary. I do work and live in a pretty upscale area. Honda buyers don't worry so much about the length of the warranty because they figure they won't have to use it anyway, The 100K warranty the Korean cars have is not all inclusive either. Not such a "killer" warranty when you read it. Still long warranties really appeal to some people who have owned troublesome cars in the past.

Time will tell, but I do hope Honda is paying attention.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    I spent a week driving a Hyundai Sonata two weeks ago. It is a decent car that is pretty comfortable. However, it is VERY difficult to get excited about a midsized car getting 22 mpg when I can get 28 mpg in an Impala.
    Isell: The Hyundai Azera is their latest salvo in the car wars. Read about it in a comparo with the Avalon and Passat in the March issue of Motor Trend.

Their assessment: " Hyundai is eating your lunch" ( and no one even realizes it----------- yet !!

Believer
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    "Detroit was smugly sleeping, and Japan was quietly and efficiently producing quality cars."

That is exactly right. Exactly right.

I have seen some Hyundais in parking lots and I think they are beautiful. Sure, they seem to have just copied the lines of the Passat, but that's OK. When Hondas took off in the 80's they were copying the lines of Audis. Our beloved 1972 Datsun 510 was a scaled down version of a 144 Volvo. The Japanese have never been known for their artistic creativity, but they know how to copy a good design and build it well and that is why they have been successful.
    Was a hell of a car. Tinny as can be but such a bulletproof drivetrain. Uncomfortable seats where you sat bolt upright! That engine was the 240Z engine minus a couple of cylinders. Just super little cars!

For the Toyota Land Rovers, they copied the rugged Chevy 235 6 cylinder that Chevy used from 1950-1962. they even looked almost the same.
    Hi Isell,

Well, our 510 was the luxury version (ROFL) that had reclining seats. One mechanic said the engine was pretty much a copy of a 4-cyl Mercedes.

There was some kind of sports sedan racing category where the 510s would run all over the BMWs and the Alfas. I shifted at 5K rpm all the time and the engine never burned oil in 13 years. Not bad for $2660 OTD in 1972.

It was orange, of course. In the 70's, we were full of life and loved bright colors to express our happiness with the world in general. Jimmy Carter changed that.
    It was a different time, wasn't it?
    Yeah, but today is pretty good too, except that we still have Jimmy mouthing off.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    OK, folks - let's just use this as a place to post current great deals on new cars. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    2 pages and way off track already. LOL.

anyway... just to try and get back on target, thought I'd share what I know.

Lincoln LS, as always, is bargain basement priced. New '06s are $10k off sticker.

Has anyone bought an '05 Mazda6 lately? Carsdirect lists them as being discounted in their rebates list, but you can't actually get any pricing on them. Are there any left out there?

I see the '06 Saab 92x is already being discounted at a good clip. I wonder if they will get down to the '05 pricing, and when that will happen.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I can't think of any new car bargains at my store but from what I have heard Saab is just giving away the 9-3 down the road from me at our sister store.

I am sure the last few Neons are going the same way down at dodge.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    When I go hunting for the best deals, I typically look for cars loaded down with heavy "marketing support". I excluded the 2005 models as those are probably very hard to find by now unless that specific model is doing particularly poorly.
    As of right now the 2006 bargains would be:
    2006 Lincoln LS: $5500 in marketing support; $3000 in customer cash
    2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class: $5000
    2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class: $7000
    2006 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG: $12000 (Yes, $12,000! Then again the S65 is one pricey automobile)
    2006 Mercedes-Benz SL500: $5000 in marketing support to those who finance with Mercedes Benz Financial
    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis: $2500 in marketing support
    2006 Mercury Monterey: $3000 Cashback
    2006 Mitsubishi Montero: $2500 Customer Cash; $500 marketing support
    2006 Saab 9-2X: $3000 Cashback (I wonder when it'll hit May 2005 price levels)

I'm sure I missed others, but that's the list I'd be shopping if a low up front price was a big priority. Of course, with all these deals, resale on those cars will be hit (save for the Benzes maybe)

I remember last year Jaguar put $6000 in "Marketing Support" on the few left over 2005 X-Type 2.5 models, and Volvo, when dumping the last of the 2004 S40s, put up $4000 I think.

I got $2000 "Marketing Support" on my last purchase, so yes, these deals can be had. It just takes some hunting.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    so yes, these deals can be had. It just takes some hunting.

Provided you want a car nobody else does ;)

2018 430i Gran Coupe

makes no diff what anybody else wants or not wants they are not plunking down the bux !!

believer
  • asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    I have to disagree with your approach of using the "Largest Incentives" criterion to select the best deal. It's how much you pay, not how much you save (if you are getting what you want and need, of course.) So, excluding luxury vehicles and near-exotics on your list (I know little about these), I would personally not consider, say, a Monterey or the Saab great bargains - and especially the well-aged Montero truck.

On the other hand, for basic transportation and safety, a new Accord is a real bargain for what you pay, even without any (published) rebates or incentives. The Civic, however, is not a bargain in my opinion.
  • cluedweaselcluedweasel Member Posts: 150
    " remember last year Jaguar put $6000 in "Marketing Support" on the few left over 2005 X-Type 2.5 models"

I remember it well. My wife had me calling pretty much every Jag dealer on the west coast. None of them wanted to give up much, if any, of that marketing support money. The best (or worse if you prefer) was my local dealership who were going to give me a whole $500 off MSRP. In the end I gave up and bought a Subaru Legacy instead.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    $6,000-$7,000 off MSRP on brand new 2005 Mazda MPV's...the gold medal winner of minivans. ;)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    I was in the market for a car for my eldest daughter in college just 2 weeks ago.Thought it might make sense to lease a new car rather than buy used.
    Anyway quotes I was getting for a Chevy Aveo were 305 a month for 3yr 12k a yr.Chevy cobalt 287-ford escape 290ish etc.
    Ugh .Decided used was the way to go.Last night saw the Cobalt advertised on TV for about half the 287 I was quoted (I don't remember exact number).

Pretty amazing difference in 2 weeks.
  • asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    The twofold difference (drop) in the lease monthly payment on the same vehicle is most likely explained by the requirement to put down a substantial amount of cash (or trade equity) - never or rarely a good idea on a lease.

All the vehicles you considered for a lease have below average (Escape) to poor (Aveo) resale values - why not look at something that does not lose 50-60% of its value in 2 years? I remember seeing a "Lease Questions" forum here...
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Ugh .Decided used was the way to go.Last night saw the Cobalt advertised on TV for about half the 287 I was quoted (I don't remember exact number).

When you see huge lease payment differences for the SAME vehicle, it generally means that you are **not** comparing apples to apples.

Probably, the mileage that you are paying is different, there is a large downpayment difference, or maybe a different level of trim.

The problem with consumer leasing is that most comsumers do NOT understand what they are signing up for.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    I have a question as one who has never leased.

I have read the Edmunds info that says that leases are negotiable, just like when you buy a car. Sounds good, and I understand the idea behind not using a big down payment on a lease.

But you will often see these factory advertised lease offers that will be say $2k down and $350/month or so. If it is a 'factory' offer, is the lease still negotiable? That lease must be based on MSRP? I'd like to avoid the bigger down payment on a lease for the reasons Edmunds advises; can the 'purchase price' of the car be negotiated down at all to make up for the smaller down? MF and residuals fixed? This is a new game for me...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    But you will often see these factory advertised lease offers that will be say $2k down and $350/month or so. If it is a 'factory' offer, is the lease still negotiable? That lease must be based on MSRP? I'd like to avoid the bigger down payment on a lease for the reasons Edmunds advises; can the 'purchase price' of the car be negotiated down at all to make up for the smaller down? MF and residuals fixed? This is a new game for me...

The cap cost is probably still negotiable. Like with a purchase, the law of supply and demand comes into play. If dealers are dealing on a particular model, you can deal yourself a good deal regardless of what price the ad uses to get to that payment. I've done this every time I've leased.

Gotta read and *understand* the fine print on leases. Most, not all, advertised leases are based on MSRP but the mouse type will tell you for sure. Once you have the MF and residual, you can calculate your payment using any purchase price and down payment.

For a quick mental exercise, you can determine the monthly payment sans required down payment by dividing the down payment by the lease term. For example, if the lease requires a $2000 down payment, and its for 36 months, the monthly payment increase is about $55 if you do not put down the 2 grand. It's not perfectly accurate but it does allow you to get your head around the numbers as they fly across the screen.
    Residuals and money factors are fixed (actually the dealer can mark up the MF if they want but they can't lower it past the published figure) but the actual "price" (cap cost" of the car is as negotiable as always. A few years back I leased an Infiniti M45. At the time there was $8000 dealer marketing incentive on it and I got the cap cost down from $47500 to $37500 without much trouble. Over 39 months, the residual was 48% but the residual is always based on the MSRP, not the negotiated cap cost. With the residual being $22800 (48% of $47500), the depreciation I was financing was only $14700. At that time the Infiniti money factor was next to nothing too so I ended up with an almost $50000 car for $320 a month.
    Also, I recently leased a Toyota Tundra that was a factory lease offer. That lease was based on a price of invoice plus $500 with a very low MF to.
  • harvey5harvey5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to find the best dealership to buy a Honda Pilot as close to Glenwood Springs, Colorado. There aren't enough dealers to get good pricing.Does anyone have a suggestion and what pricing might be for a EXL4wd w/nav.Help...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Try this discussion:
    Honda Pilot: Prices Paid & Buying Experience
    where members are sharing their purchasing experiences.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    bretfraz, you need to update your e-mail address. Please send it to me.
    anything new this month?

I'm thinking the Accord lease deal is the best for the money at the moment, but I'm certainly willing to listen to other suggestions.

I see Mazda has 2-year lease deals on alot of vehicles right now. Unfortunately, the Mazda3 wagon ain't one of 'em. :(

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• theflushtheflush Member Posts: 100
    Does anyone know what kind of lease deals are available on the last 05 MPVs? Some have posted good purchase prices on 05s on the prices paid forum, but nothing has been mentioned about leases. One poster mentioned getting an LX+ that with other options stickered for $26,415 for only $18,266, which is over $8K off sticker. What kind of lease deal can be had on a similar vehicle?

Thanks.
    That's a good question that will probably go unanswered.

I'd direct you to the leasing forums, but ever since that was broken down by make, the activity died down considerably and questions go largely unanswered there, too.

There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to get the same price as someone purchasing the vehicle. When a car is leased, the dealer gets paid for it the same as if they had sold it outright.
    When negotiating a lease, ignore the monthly payment. The figures of interest should be a cost of the vehicle - same as if you were buying, the money factor, the residual and any other incidental costs such as doc fees and security deposits.
  • theflushtheflush Member Posts: 100
    That's what I am looking for: money factor, residual, and any other costs. It's not hard to figure the payment from there. I'd like to know this info before negotiating with a dealer. Actually, I'm already asking for purchase price info from several nearby dealers via email, and once I have that nailed down I'll ask about leasing.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Does anyone know what kind of lease deals are available on the last 05 MPVs?

Mazda has final paid the dealers and there is no more marketing support for the 2005 MPV's(including subsidized leases).....OTOH you could check lease sources other than Mazda...i.e Chase, first third etc..

Also, FYI...Mazda purchase incentives often do NOT match the lease incentives. Mazda, like most manufacturers subsidize their lease rates/residuals...this is in lieu of some cash incentives.
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    My mother in law likes to drive a "nice" car. Like many of us she cares about car perception and what others think. Currently driving a Toyota Highlander and lease is up next month. For $300-400 a month what's the BEST LEASE deal on a quasi-status car? I was thinking a Saab maybe?
    ??
    since when is a toyota a status car??

Chrysler is running a $299/mo special on the 300. It takes almost $4k down, though. but if you're willing to push closer to $400, then that would cut down the down payment considerably.

• larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    "Status" is defined solely as my mother in law sees it. Since some of her lawyer friends drive Highlanders then it's acceptable. Most American cars are not. A stripped down bottom of the line Benz is a status car to her.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Oh man do I feel sorry for you.

Not to get to personal but she sounds like a bad MIL.
This discussion has been closed.