Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• m2mazda6m2mazda6 Member Posts: 20
    I want the Silver Pine also,I'm thinking just have the dealer go with it for 300 under MSRP I'm in no hurry so I can wait to get the one I want
  • gadriver4gadriver4 Member Posts: 15
    Once we get our loan & sell our older car I'll probably start with guy we bought our Toyota from last yr as we managed to neg from $33k to $28k + tax, tag & title although I don't think we'll have much wiggle room w/the Prius esp rt now as fuel continues to climb. I did notice online La Grange (south of airport towards AL) Toyota dealership is showing 5 on the lot although I haven't confirmed this by phone/e-mail. I'd try searching smaller cities like La Grange as I'm thinking they might have more options. Oh, I'm not partial to any exterior color although I'd prefer grey interior. GL & keep us posted. These forums helped me neg last yr v well. ;)
  • ycamp5ycamp5 Member Posts: 15
    How much more is the HOV sticker worth? I'm looking to buy a Prius with reasonable miles with sticker. The cost seem to be more than a brand new one....
    Any opinions on paying more for one with a sticker than a 08??

thanks
  • hihostevohihostevo Member Posts: 59
    Hi, I was wondering if any of you folks have had experience.... good or bad... buying from Toyota of Walnut Creek??

Thank you,
  • udprideudpride Member Posts: 3
    Im looking at possibly leasing a Prius in another year or so. Im having trouble rectifying the lease prices however and why they are so high for a ~$25,000 car.

Im currently in a lease on a $38,000 G35X and paying $380/mth 39mths $1000 down 15K miles a year. The residuals on both cars are leaders in the industry. Money factors all competitive, etc.

For a $13,000 cheaper car the lease terms should be far more competitive on the Prius than I'm being offered. Based on the same criteria on my Infiniti, we should be talking around $300/mth.

There are some tax incentives in Ohio for hybrids, but I wouldnt call them significant enough to be THE major factor. We also dont have any carpool lanes or special parking privileges.

I dont see gas prices falling any time soon, so Im also looking the new VW TDIs which will be out later, however neither hybrid/diesel option gives me a car thats really suited for the snow belt. And at the leasing price points Im seeing, Im not convinced yet I can justify the inflated lease terms on a car with a relatively low MSRP. The MPG of the car should really have nothing to do with the lease terms since the lease pricing is all a product of MSRP, though I admit the MPG will save me money. But probably not enough to make a windfall over a 3yr lease to substantiate the other items Ive outlined.

Were I purchasing with cash, the car would seem like an extremely competitive deal however.

Is the fnancing arm still Toyota Motor Credit?
  • sharon22sharon22 Member Posts: 28
    If you're interested in Silver Pine Mica with dark gray interior, just saw one on the lot (you would need to call to confirm) at Jay Toyota in Columbus, GA. Good luck with your search! Let me know if you find a Silver Pine Mica with bisque interior! Thanks!!!
    Just put money down on a Silver Pine pkg 2. I put out 5 email quotes and said TMV is 23288 & cars.com 23018 I'll give you 23300 + tax ect.and got a reply from one and took it so I gave them 500 deposit and will let me know next week how long it will take. Best expierence I ever had never set foot in dealership did it all over phone. and oil changes are $9.95 for life 11.?? with tax
  • loveprius1loveprius1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi to all,

I am going to pick up my new Prius with #6 package. Paid 26,800 plus Tax. I am not sure that i got a good deal. Any other expiriance out there?

Thank you.
  • sunshinepriussunshineprius Member Posts: 2
    where did you get this prius please?
  • sunshinepriussunshineprius Member Posts: 2
    not sure if this question will post or go to you directly, but I wondering where you bought this car? is it a touring?
    Congratulations! I've still been getting internet quotes and calling all over the state. I assume that you are in the Atlanta metro area -- do you object to telling me which dealership you're working with? I'm to the point of exhaustion; tired of hearing that no Prius sells for less than MSRP. I had planned on placing a $500 deposit at a dealer tomorrow. Please post a reply asap! I'll delay my deposit until I hear from you. Again, congratulations!!!! Hopefully, I'll be joining you very soon!
    I'm in West Michigan I got it from a Grand Rapids dealer on 28th st Toyota of Grand Rapids
    I do have a Question in my searches for quotes for the Pkg.2 all the dealers were saying the MSRP is 23909, I just went on the Toyota site to build a car there MSRP is 23710 any body tell me the reason for this,
    In Bronx / NY It is a touring edition.
    dealers can not keep this cars on the lot. they sell fast so they do not want to give a brake to customer. We are at their mercy.
  • kenji4861kenji4861 Member Posts: 16
    and.. that's what a sales rep will tell you to squeeze out every penny they can out of you.

Seriously.. it's their last year of this car's production. The cars are more available than ever before. If not, they are getting ready to roll in 2009 models which won't happen until October timeframe.
    I've checked everywhere in the state of GA and finally just got on the waiting list in Athens. It's a two-hour drive over there for me, but at least I don't have to go out of state! I did all of my research with Edmunds.com and cars.com and forget about TMV and Smart Target Price. I could not find one dealer selling for below MSRP. I did find numerous dealers adding $1,500 onto MSRP! Watch the documentation fees -- they really vary. Since I'm 6th on the waiting list, it could be a while before I receive my pkg. 2, but the waiting lists are just going to get longer with the rising gas prices. Oh, and not every Prius in the Southeast region comes with the $700 Toyoguard on it. I've requested mine without it, which means it could add to my wait. Good luck in your search -- keep me posted as to how it's going. I'll let you know how long it takes for mine to arrive!
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    The difference of $199 is for the floor and cargo mats. That's an option added at the port, so it's on the window sticker and added to the MSRP. I don't like carpet mats, but I'm forced to take them because all Priuses in CA have that "option".
    Sharon I'm also 6th on list with my dealer and if i'm right your Silvir Pine also i ordered on the 25th April let us see how we do at getting our Pruis keep us posted how your doing and I will do the same
    Larry
    West Mich.
    Ps
    What's the toyoguard
    Larry, Google "Toyota - Toyoguard" and scroll down to the bottom of page 1. Take a look at "archive". It's an added fee ($700) found on the majority of Toyotos sold in the southeast region. I don't think it's worth the money and feel it's pretty much more profit for the dealer. You're one day ahead of me; let's see who gets that Silver Pine Prius the fastest! Sharon
  • lastcarlastcar Member Posts: 1
    Hello, my data & experience. 4/23/2008, $22,900 + $389 processing fees. White, Base + Option 2. 4 miles. I spoke with 2 dealers in person and by phone. With one I only by phone. I used the Edmunds and Consumer Reports invoice pricing. I followed the basic script for getting the bottom line. One marked up the MSRP, the other came down. Neither would quote a price over or under invoice. Both dealers mentioned the 2008 Opt 2 is hard to find. One mentioned that finding the car on another dealers lot would drive the price up, since he would have to replace that car. Both dealers provided written quotes in a matter of minutes. Somehow the actual buying procedure took 2hours. I wasted about 15 minutes talking about the extended warranty. Finally I remembered my dad and brother had bought Prius' last year. I called them and then decided no on the warranty, since my brother said I could buy a warranty later. The dealer I bought from is Koon's Arlington Toyota. They had Opt 5 & 6 models on their lot, Lee Highway. Koons is a very large dealer in this area, meaning they have multiple locations. The other dealer was out in Manassas, VA. I'd love to hear an "I paid invoice or under" story, but demand is high. I wanted to wrap up the purchase last week and stay close to home. The dealer I bought from said the price would not change if I ordered one. Order time was estimate to 2-6weeks. The 2 week number makes me think this dealer has some kind of agreement in place for swapping cars with others.

Hope this helps someone.
  • jrenton7jrenton7 Member Posts: 5
    Finally got one!
    Got a package #2 (12mi) in white for 23458 OTD from Beaver Toyota in Santa Fe NM. Came with with that i wanted and the people there were great. If you live in NM leave Albuquerque and go to Beaver in Santa Fe. I didnt get angry once and they actually worked with me on the purchase (had a trade in.) Thanks for all the help in this forum you all made it great! One last question I was offered the 7 yr 75,000 for a little over $1000. Should I take it or go with another dealer and shop around. I have read on here people getting it for 860 and they told me at beaver if you can find a dealer for that get it.
  • tphsseniortphssenior Member Posts: 11
    You may want to check that again. I would imagine that the residual percentage on the Infiniti is quite a bit higher than on the Prius. The Prius is in the mid 50% range. The Infiniti is probably in the low to mid 60% range. Also, the money factor on the Prius is nothing special (.00245) while Infiniti often buys down the money factor. One other point is that Toyota rolls in a $550 bank fee into the lease payment.
    Nevermind saw page 4 great deals out there!
  • gadriver4gadriver4 Member Posts: 15
    Congrats on your new Prius!!! :P Did $23,458 include tax, tag & title but not include your trade-in? I'm dealing w/a trade-in & not thrilled w/that CarMax offered but always been told don't have trade in if possible. Tks!
  • badtrannybadtranny Member Posts: 33
    I stopped at two dealers in Central CT.. One is selling the Prius cars at MSRP. No discount. The other forces you to buy the pin stripes and glass etching. No discounts.

I am not going to cry if I don't get one. But, I would love to double the mileage I get in a car right now...

I am not that familiar with all of the packages. I don't need a GPS, And and fancy stuff.. Alarm sys, and what ever the low end packages give...

Thanks
    Im in one of the lucky states (no sales tax) No i got 6000 on my trade in (not so happy about it but worst car i have ever owned, Land rover freelander) That was everything OTD. Car Max was not a great price either, read the section on buying a new car in edmunds it does tell you if you can sell it outright it is better but i couldnt find a buyer in nearly a month, nobody wants gas hogs anymore. They usually make money on trade in so use it for your advantage and just hold to your guns, try as many dealerships as you can until one works with you. Also DONT buy an extended warranty check google for toyota extended warranty and you will find a dealer that can get you an AMAZING price. I looked and found a 7 yr 75000 for 698.00! Now i just need to get my tint and my shark fin antenna and when my wife lets me new wheels and im good to go!
  • scubadogscubadog Member Posts: 3
    I just completed my deal on a Package 6, Non Touring and put down a $500 deposit. My price is $25,800 + TX & Licence & Doc Fee. Everything is in writing and on record. My car was not in stock so I'm being told 2 weeks to 30 days. That's fine, I can wait. I also told the dealer that I was flexible on a couple of colors and that I would also be OK with the Touring for another $500 if that's what became available first. The point is, hold your ground. Do your research on-line, then do your negotiating in person. A dealer will not let you leave the dealership if you are even close to the ballpark of a workable deal. Use that in your poker game of car buying. Remember that bluffing costs you nothing. Go to carbuyingtips.com and read the entire free site. It will save you $$$.

Another thing. Dealers know that 85 % of all new car buyers will research the internet or go to forums such as this for pricing info. I personally know salesmen that spend slow time and rainy days signing up for free gmail or hotmail e-mail addresses so they can log onto forums, including this one, to scare everyone into paying MSRP or more. Think about it. It's the best and cheapest advertising possible.

Good luck!
  • bob104bob104 Member Posts: 94
    I bought an 08 Prius Touring #6 in October 07 for $30,000 OTD including a 6 year/100k platinum extended warranty (about $1100). I'm happy with the car but I would like to let you know that I wish I'd gotten a regular, non-Touring, #6.

1) Touring cost me $500 more. Fancy wheels, yes, but they're covered up by hubcaps. I'm too old for fancy wheels anyway. Stiffer suspension, yes, but I'm not sure it's a "sportier" suspension. Fancier tires, but . . .
    2) When you replace the tires you'll pay $200 more per set, each and every time, based on Costco price for Michelin Primacy, which I highly recommend.
    3) I'm quite sure that you lose about 3 mpg due to the larger tires on Touring. Over 12,000 miles, the average year, that costs you about 20 gallons or $80 @$4/gallon.

Adding all that up and figuring an average of $6/gallon, the Touring will cost you 500+200+600=$1300 over five years, about $20/month, assuming the Touring has no higher resale value.

Perhaps it's very slightly safer and more stable in wind and through turns and $20 a month is no more than Gardenburgers for two with salad, not fries, but I would not buy the Touring next time.
  • ssincssinc Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I have been shopping around Southern California like crazy for an 08 Prius Package 2 and this is what I have from Longo Toyota:

Adjusted Cap Cost: $23,966.71
    Residual Value: $13,510
    Base Monthly Payment: $386.03
    Total Monthly Payment: $417.88

This is on a 36 month lease, 15,000 miles, Cash Down: $1,000 Lease,

The salesperson said his MF was .00245 but my math shows .00255, nonetheless, any oppinons on this so called deal, let me know. Anyone else have any lease information on the same Prius, any help is appreciated
  • prusaprusa Member Posts: 43
    :) I totally agree with you. I wish I could turn back the clock and start all over again with the dealer. I am in love with my Prius (bought the Touring PKG 6) and my next car will definitely be another Prius, but not the Touring Edition. I wish I had seen your email at the time I was about to buy my Prius. It is now too late for us, but not too late for those who are in the buying process.
  • scubadogscubadog Member Posts: 3
    It's all about image for many. Your Touring models will pay off down the road because you will have something that is one for every hundred other average Prius's.
    I heard there was going to be a Price Increase anybody know when and how much?
  • bob104bob104 Member Posts: 94
    After only one year, comparing 07 models, the differential in price between Touring and Standard Prius is only $300 according to edmunds. By five years I would think that the differential is very close to $0.
    Many people, not just hypermilers, look for hard tires with a small footprint in an effort to increase mileage, mpg. The Touring is going in the opposite direction, sticky tires with a large footprint. Accordingly, they don't last near as long. The Touring's Turanzas have a treadwear rating of 260. You can replace them with Michelin Primacys with a rating of 620.
    In terms of image I want to let carmakers know that I'm a buyer for the best possible mpg, all else being equal. Once a year or so I call Honda and Toyota and tell them to start putting 1.0 liter, 70-80hp engines in their smallest cars, like Fit and Yaris. They'll tie or beat Prius on the hwy and cost many thousands less.
  • roger1655roger1655 Member Posts: 12
    I heard on the radio today that the Prius price increase is going to be $400 and effective Monday 5/12/2008.
    I've heard that the 09 will not be released until the spring of 09. Do any of you know what the improved mpg will be and will it really be a plug-in?
  • badtrannybadtranny Member Posts: 33
    Seems like Toyota is into "add-ons" and gimmicks.. More like American Car Mfgs used to do. I have seen some packages on Prius cars that don't make sense..

I prefer alloy rims, a security system, not sure about tracton control on a prius (or other vehicle for that matter), and that is about it.. With an Accord XP, you get all of the important stuff (except heated mirrors).
  • willee51willee51 Member Posts: 1
    ;) Got it today!

2008 Prius, Package #4 w/HZ, CF, Silver Met
    Drove 2-hrs from home to Staunton, VA (McDonough Toyota). Paid $25,914 and I got an excellent trade-in value for my Toyota Tacoma. Have driven it about 150-miles and so far I like the car. Intersate driving at 70-mph+ easy for the little car.

With gas here in Central VA at about $3.60 and rising, I am glad I found my Prius.

Yes! They had a few left.
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    you can do all the research you want on invoice for the prius, but this car is all about supply and demand. They will continue to sell at full MSRP because there is not enough supply for the demand of these gas savers. If you arent willing to pay MSRP, then the next person will.
    You're 100% accurate! I did all kinds of research on-line trying to buy below MSRP -- it might be happening in other parts of the country, but not in the south! I could not find ANY dealer selling below MSRP and I tried just about every dealer in Georgia. It even adds insult to injury when a few of them ADD $1,400/$1500 over MSRP. Southeast Toyota is actually a separate intity of World Toyota. Don't understand why, but . . . negotiating is out of the question. If there are other southerners that have been able to buy under MSRP, consider yourself lucky! I gave up, gave them my deposit and am waiting for my pkg. 2 w/o Toyoguard to arrive.
  • nfw_priusnfw_prius Member Posts: 1
    The dealer just quoted me $396 pm for a Base Prius (1220).

15,000 miles a year with matts as the only option. That was with 1,000 down and a 2,000 trade in. I have tier 1 credit.

That's on a car worth 22,574. The web page for this dealer listed a 12,000 mile per year 36 month lease as $281 pm. Just to get you in the door.

Another dealer across town offered $386 pm to be competetive.

I'm goint to lease a VW GTI for $269 a month instead. MSRP is a tiny bit higher on the VW than the the Prius.

For the difference I don't care if the interior iof the VW is made of baby seal skins.

Series: Prius
    Model: 1220 - Gas/Electric Sedan (CVT)
    Model Year: 2008
    Transmission: Continuously Var. Transmission
    VIN: JTDKB20U883416874
    Color: Magnetic Gray Metallic
    Interior: Dark Gray
    Available: 05/22/08
    Dealer Name: Stadium Toyota
    Dealer Phone: 813-872-4881

MSRP
    Base $21,100
    Options $259
    Manuf, Delv, Proc & Hndlg $715
    Subtotal $22,074
    Dealer Fees $500
    Total $22,574

60 Months Purchase $417
    Assumes 10.0% down payment, 8.5% APR

36 Months Lease $281
    Assumes 10.0% down payment
  • jsk22jsk22 Member Posts: 1
    Actually - in discussions w/ an Atlanta, GA dealer - my wife and I were informed (5/10) that there was a MANDATORY $1,995 "adder" to the price of the Prius. They claimed this was a Southeast Toyota fee and that they were at least disclosing this up front unlike other Toyota dealers. We can fully understand the full MSRP on the vehicle since it seems to be a "hot" item now (factory in Japan at full production capability), but this $2k adder is rediculous (please no lectures on free mkt econ). Question, does anyone know if this adder is nationwide? Or is it indeed just Southeast? Can you go outside their territory, VA?, other?, to avoid this? Any advice/info would be appreciated.
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    Pricing is based on availability in your region. Newspaper ads in the Northern California show $1000+ under MSRP.
    jsk22 - I don't know which Prius you are interested in, but a $1,995 fee added onto it is false! I'm getting a pkg.2 for $23,799 ($22,475 MSRP, $575 pkg.2, $34 fuel, $715 destination). Then $299 admin.(dealer fee), $18 title, $3.00 lemon law fee. Then, of course, your county tax fee. It's bad enough having to pay MSRP, but not all dealers in the Atlanta area charge "greed" fees -- that's what I call them. I'm using Heyward Allen Toyota in Athens even though there are 3 dealers closer to me. Their Customer Service Index was good and they aren't adding "greed" fees. Prius' are definitely hot right now and the southeast is not negotiating, however, you do NOT have to pay $1,995 on top of MSRP! I hope what I've learned saves you some money! Sharon in Jasper
  • ebs964ebs964 Member Posts: 5
    Sharon22 - have you taken delivery or are you on a waiting list? I spoke with someone today at Heyward Allen and he told me 30 - 60 days before delivery. Just wondering the best dealer to work with. I bought a Camry a few months ago from Cobb County Toyota with a wonderful experience but I'm not having the same experience with a Prius....
    ebs964 - I've paid a deposit and am on a waiting list -- number 6 in Athens. I have been waiting 2 weeks and was told 2-4 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if the wait was longer since I refuse to pay for Toyoguard. Call or email other dealers and see if they're saying the same thing. Unless you're willing to accept what they have on the lot (if any), you're probably in for a wait. Other areas of the country seem to have more available and may be more willing to negotiate, but we're in Georgia and . . . it is what it is! Sharon
  • ebs964ebs964 Member Posts: 5
    Sharon22 - The 4 week waiting list is probably not such a bad thing since I have a SUV I am trying to unload - 4 weeks might not be enough ;)
  • jjkell1jjkell1 Member Posts: 2
    It appears most Toyota Dealerships in MD/VA/PA/DE are selling right at MSRP which appears to be the norm now. I've decided to wait until the market stabilizes (whenever that may be) or check out the 2009 Prius when it's available next year.

For those of you that already have your Prius, good for you, I'm envious! For those of you that don't, hang in there, a Prius will eventually be in your future.
  • GutsyGutsy Member Posts: 13
    I purchased a new '08 Prius - white with bisque leather interior Package 6 this weekend from a dealer in Philadelphia, PA. I only have 140 miles on it and so far I'm up to 47 mpg mixed highway and local driving ... unbelievable!

I'm from NJ and I did my research on the internet through www.cars.com and located 10 dealers in a 50 mile radius and asked each for their best price. Here's what I did: Went to www.cars.com ...under the "New Cars" category, I selected an '08 Prius and typed in my zip code, hit enter, then under "See invioce pricing" I clicked on the "Build my own" button. Then, after selecting all the options I wanted, it provides a listing of the dealers in your area to send your custom listing to for a quote. You can send 3 at a time.

Most dealers wanted MSRP, however 3 were willing to come down in price -($800, -$500 and -$300). Two dealers willing to come down $800 and $500 didn't have any in stock and I would have had to wait 6 to 8 weeks to order one. The 3rd dealer in Philly actually had the car I wanted in stock (last one too!). So I called them and said the two other dealers were willing to give me a better deal and I had their email to prove it. So he talked to the manager and they decided to increase the discount from $300 to $400 if I came down that day ... so I took the deal. If I had waited 2 months for one, I would have paid hundreds just in gas alone.

I originally started looking for used ones with low mileage, however the used ones are holding their value in the low to mid $20's .. with less features and you had to settle for options i wasn't interested in. So the good news is, they are holding their value!

So there are deals out there if you look hard enough! I love my Prius so far!

Hope this helps!
  • seatoyotasalesseatoyotasales Member Posts: 36
    I am in Toyota Sales at Doxon Toyota in Auburn, WA and the same is for us. We simply do not have any Prius's at the moment. The ones that are slowly coming in are pre-sold. Its getting to be somewhat of a frenzy. Customers are coming in and getting mad at US because we don't have any. A few have even stormed out saying they will buy from another dealer. Well, thats not going to happen either. We are holding to MSRP on them as well but would never tack on any additional fees.
This discussion has been closed.