Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Noise and Vibration

Comments

• howie10howie10 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out what the noise was i have the same thing on my 2003 4x4 howie10
  • titlumtatlumtitlumtatlum Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought an 08 GMC Sierra. I have noticed that it has a vibration and roaring noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when I put it into gear before moving and also when I am accelerating or decelerating at varying speeds. I have read several other posts regarding similar issues, but am unsure as to what to try to explain to the dealer's repair shop when I take it in for this problem. Could someone please give me some real insight into this problem?
  • wade13wade13 Member Posts: 2
    I seem to have a shimmy/vibration when reaching 50miles per hour. Just had the u-joint at the driveshaft replaced. Any suggestions on what this might be?
    Thanks in advance.
  • wade13wade13 Member Posts: 2
  • titlumtatlumtitlumtatlum Member Posts: 2
    When you accelerate or decelerate and the truck reaches about 1300-1500 RPM the rear end makes a grinding/vibrating sound (low pitched). It also seems to make when driving steady speeds on the highway. I took the truck in to the dealer's shop and they told me that it was the heat shield on the muffler. The fix was to install a strap over the heat shield to hold it down. They installed it. I drove out of the parking lot with the truck making the same noise, maybe even worse than before. I called them back to let them know that it was doing the same thing. The reply....just bring it in again. I am getting pretty tired of this on a $20,000 truck.
    Has anyone else had this type of problem?
  • BloozesterBloozester Member Posts: 9
    A while back I posted that I was getting a squealing/chirping noise on my '02 1500 4x4. I figured it was the brake pad squealer as I just bought the truck in December. Took all the wheels off today finally, and all the pads are worn evenly and still have about 3/8" left. So the pads aren't worn down. The chirping is speed dependent and never turns into a continous squeal up to about 45 mph, which is where I can't hear it anymore. If I'm going 25-30mph and it's chirping, if I put on the brakes lightly it seems to go away (although it's replaced by brake squeal). I tried shooting brake cleaner on all the pads/rotors today and this made no difference but to quiet the brake squeal down some. My Dad rodei n the back and hung over the rear wheels and said it sounded the same from both sides. The front wheels seemed tight, there was a little play in the rear wheels, but you had to really hoss on the wheel to feel it. Any suggestions onwhere to look next?
  • BloozesterBloozester Member Posts: 9
    Had to take the truck out of state for several days and on the drive back the squeaking got worse. Took it to a shop this morning and they said the rear axle is slightly bent causing the hub to wobble and the brake pads to hit and squeak. Great.....$540 + tax.
  • 1truck1truck Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra Z71, Ext cab, 4wd, 5.3, 174k with front end vibration from 45-65 mph. It feels like a broken belt in the tire. Tires have been rotated to all 4 corners with no change. There is some side to side play in the left front but none up and down. The lower ball joint has a little movement as well. The right side is tight, no problems. Could it be a wheel bearing? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    When rotating the tires, were they balanced?
    They were balanced when they were new 3 months ago and again last week. When they did them last week, they were still ok, didn't need any changes to the weights.
    Vibration at 45-65 is almost always tire related. While a bearing or tie rod may cause an alignment issue and eventually vibration due to uneven wear. If your tires check out ok I'd seriously question the tire shop. What I would recommend is finding a tire dealer who has a Hunter GSP9700 balancer and have them check out the balance on the tires.

In this link, click on "Find a GSP9700 near you"

http://www.gsp9700.com/
    Problem solved. Found 2 rear u-joint clips were missing, had some of those so no expense. That fixed most of the vibration. Still had some vibration in the steering. Both lower ball joints need replaced, $940. Better than a truck payment. Thanks for your help!
  • howie10howie10 Member Posts: 2
    sorry just found this question .Yes i did my converter on the right side came apart blowing it's guts out through the muffler finally i started Getting a code and while changing the converter found it was empty .
  • carmine3carmine3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Siverado with the 4.8l engine. From 62 to about 68 mph I get a terrible vibration. If I stay on either side of those speeds it rides fine! I was thinking of dropping the driveshaft and having the balance checked. I have had the all of the tires balanced. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!
    Before doing that try shifting to neutral at 65 mph on a straightaway. If the vibration stops you've found the problem.
  • clareanceclareance Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2002 sierra z71 4x4 also and i am having a bad grinding noise coming from right rear wheel. at 15 to 40mph when you hit a bump a clinging noise sounds like metal on metal and now there is a grinding noise that is very loud. i have taken it to a shop and 1000.00 later the problem is still there. i had several things wrong with truck that the shop thought would be causing problem. i replaced exhaust that was broken, rear shocks, front pads, repacked front wheel bearings, replaced transmission mount, and front rotors. noise and grinding is still there. today shop removed right rear e brake pad and thought it was cleared up, guess what drove truck away from shop and noise is still there and now grinding is more often. unknown if wheel bearings is bad or axel is bent something is grinding and is costing alot of money to figure out. luckly i found a great shop that is trying very hard to fix problem. any suggestions would be appreciated
  • clareanceclareance Member Posts: 2
    i have an 02 sierra z71 4x4 that is doing the same thing but on the right rear. i have not had any luck getting it fixed. let me know what you find PLEASE...... i will do the same
    i replaced exhaust that was broken, rear shocks, front pads, repacked front wheel bearings, replaced transmission mount, and front rotors. noise and grinding is still there. today shop removed right rear e brake pad and thought it was cleared up

If the noise came from the rear, why was the front pads changed and the front wheel bearings replaced? Did anyone check the rear brake? How long since servicing the rear end? Those rear rotors have been known to lock up causing major noise from the rear.
  • lost1zlost1z Member Posts: 1
    I am confused, with max AC selected on, I hear what sounds like the engine fan rubbing during heavy acceleration and just coming off the acceleration. Fan tips seem to be worn, but good clearance around fan shroud with engine turned off. I do not witness any severe engine movement during acceleration or deceleration. Noise will occur in "park" or when driving. Water pump changed last year, everything appears normal. Belt tension & wear normal. AC blows cold. I was thinking of the following possible causes: broken motor mount (don't see motor sway), fan clutch, ac compressor, or harmonic balancer. It is difficult to confirm with engine rpm around 2500-2900 rpm on quick accel or decel.

Has anyone seen this before or have any input?
  • redbuggyboyredbuggyboy Member Posts: 7
    Lube your Leafs! Spread each leaf and spray heavy lube on the little pads between each leaf. I also took out leaf spring mount bolts as far as possible and lubed inside their bushing too. There is a TSB out there about replacing the leaf pads with teflon material pads.Hope this helps!
  • bizzobizzo Member Posts: 1
    Have a 09 GMC Sierra. Several months ago started feeling two distinct vibrations coming from the gas pedal shortly after putting it in drive and starting to pull away. After this you won’t feel the vibrations again until the truck has been put into park again and shut off for a few minutes. The speed that I pull away at doesn’t seem to be a factor and it won’t do it in reverse. Been to the shop numerous times and each time they call it “normal operation” except that it didn’t do it when I bought it 6 months ago. Any ideas?
  • jomanjoman Member Posts: 2
    IM SURE ITS THE VAC PUMP NOISY GROWL AT FRONT OF ENGINE BELOW SPRING TENSIONER ON LEFT FACING FRONT END.WILL IT RUIN ANYTHING AS FAR AS PERFORMANCE OR MILEAGE
  • melencholymelencholy Member Posts: 2
    I too have this problem with my truck, the noise is not continuous nor is it predictable, and seems to come from the front of the truck. Seems to only do it while moving. I still have not seen a solution to this yet but hope someone will find it soon. The sound of "the tire was rubbing the fender" caught my attention and sounded very similar to mine. I have a 06 silverado 4x4 reg cab lwb.
    Also, friend of mine at work owns an 03 model and says his started doing the same thing as well, we are both clueless so far.....thought maybe steering box or wheel bearings.
    Can anyone tell me where the knock sensor is located on a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3 and is it easily replaced? The dealer checked the code for the "service engine soon" light and said it is bad and will eventually cause it not to start. I lost my repair manual for the truck. Thanks!
    Knock sensors are located between the fuel rails on the top of the engine.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • melencholymelencholy Member Posts: 2
    Well, truck had another sound coming home from work one morning, sounded like absent brake pads but wasn't applying them, seen bad upper A arm bushing while investegating but had everyting suspension-wise checked out, found out bushing was bad but also had driver side wheel bearing going bad. I hope this cures all but if not, will post back again
    Thanks,
    Mel
  • silverado16silverado16 Member Posts: 3
    just purchased a 2001 silverado 4x4 4.8 v8 with 60k. it shifts great, but when i took it upsate, the first incline i hit, it slows down a little then I started to hear this squeeling metal bending type noise. when i aplly some pressure to the pedal it shifts normally, I ease up on it and squeeling noise comes back all through the incline., went to get a 60k check and they said its flawless ( no leaks, discoloration, rust anything). the last owner used it for commuting, and slight vacation camper towing...thanks
    Thanks!!!
  • cordgrasscordgrass Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2007 chevy silverado 4x4 reg cab and it is making the same noise (sounds like tire rubbing but i am stoped) . did you find out what is causing the noise.
  • Lady3bgloverLady3bglover Member Posts: 24
    This is the infamous lifter tap.. you may have to replace the lifters, which isn't cheap. I replaced my first set on my '02 at 38k mi and the second set at 138k mi. I replaced mine with performance lifters, wasn't cheap but it resolved the issue.
  • scoutguy2scoutguy2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 chevy silverado and when you turn the steering wheel left or right going forward or backwards at low speed there is a clunking sound in the colum and brake pedal. I have changed the front left wheel berring and it is still there. All the bushings look good up front im lost help. Thanks
    Have you replaced the intermediate steering shaft with the new one GM replaced on all Silverados?
  • scoutguy2scoutguy2 Member Posts: 2
    Not yet but I will thanks for the info. I didn't know that was an issue with these trucks you just saved me alot of time, Thanks again.
  • abtaylor1965abtaylor1965 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 GMC Sierra extended cab 2WD 5.3L that I cannot locate or repair a very annoying grinding noise. I have replaced both front wheel bearings, all brake pads and rotors all the way around including park prake shoes. I even cranked park brake shoes all the way in to make sure they weren't rubbing. Checked back plates on both rear brakes. $1500 bucks and still have the noise? Help?! I love this truck but enough is enough. Very seriously considering trading it off.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    Could it be an aggressive tire tread or wear pattern noise that transmits through the truck to sound like a grinding vibration?
  • gm_jim04gm_jim04 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC sierra ext. cab with a 4.8 eng. 102k miles. Recently i have began to hear some sort of a dry rubbing noise coming from the bottom rear of the truck. this only happens when i brake and when I coast under 40 mph. I thinks its the bearing between the two driveshafts but i dont know the name of it and the part store guys around hear don't know either. I wanna fix it before i have to let the dealer take a look at it or before something else fails.
  • sp128sp128 Member Posts: 2
    The truck is a 2001 GMC Sierra C3 1500 P/U (AWD)

When I first put the truck into "drive" or "reverse" from park, begin to move and turn the wheel to the left or right, I hear and feel a single "knock" from my drivers side front wheel.

As I drive, there are no more noises, just the one single knock upon putting the vehicle into motion and turning the wheel.

I recently replaced the transfer case, any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • sp128sp128 Member Posts: 2
  • 01chevy2500hd01chevy2500hd Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 2500hd with the 6.0 the issue with the engine is it is a net built engine that is not built to exact specs, there are many law suits out on it . My truck has the cold knock, it knocks until it warms up"1-3 min" then quietnes down to where you can not hear it. i just hit 300k today, changed the oil and there are still no shavings or chunks in oil. the knock is annoying but has not affected the engine at all.

With your engine you should have the preset rockers on the engine, after about 60k they loose their setting and become week or loose, change them out or try to tighten them down "check torque do not over torque" that should fix the tick for a few more thousand miles.
  • joshual1887joshual1887 Member Posts: 19
    2000 silverado 2500. 187,000 miles. few days ago i noticed a low rumble or growl that causes a vibration only when at a stop. when at 0mph in drive the vibration is constant but as soon as the rpms get past 1000 it goes away. when in neutral or park vibration is loapy. im thinking maybe something with the transmission. the truck itself runs and drives just fine. trans fluid is at the correct level, and red. truck is not abused
    If it only happens at idle you can replace your Idle Air Controller if you haven't done so in the 187,000 miles.
  • cordgrasscordgrass Member Posts: 2
    could be the baffles in your muffler might want to check that out.
  • hvychev77hvychev77 Member Posts: 3
  • hvychev77hvychev77 Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys, new to the board here....i read some other posts on the squeaky leaf springs that so many silverado owners have, what is the deal with the update? Anybody know the part numbers and the cost of it? i don't know of a way around taking it to a shop, i'm open for suggestions if someone would share it with me...I'm to the point that i'll try anything!! Thanks, bj
  • springkingspringking Member Posts: 2
    I have a Sierra 2009 with 24,000 miles. The engine has been making a tapping sound for the last few thousand miles. I took it in today and was told since I wasn't using a GM oil filter it is the reason for the sound.
    So all they did was change the oil filter (and charge me $17 for it) and the engine still taps.
    First, I would like for them to tell me specifically how the oil filter caused the tap. What's actually happening.
    Second, I was given a printout regarding problems using a non gmc filter and it was dated Jun 2009. I bought my vehicle in Jan 09, so they are not accepting any responsibility at all.
    I have become very disgruntled, especially after I've been purchasing chevy/gmc products for over 15 years.
    What brand of oil filter are they making an issue over?
  • springkingspringking Member Posts: 2
    I don't know what brand was on there but to me it seems like they just searched for a convenient excuse to not go inside my engine.
    Here's part of the letter I received verbatim: Engine damage that is the result of an incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filter is not a warrantable claim. The best way to avoid oil filter quality concerns is to purchase ACDelco oil filters directly from GMSPO.
    You have protection under the Magnuson Moss Act.

Magnuson Moss Act

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello SpringKing,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Did you ever call the dealership back and tell them the concern is still there? Have you taken the vehicle to a different dealership for a second opinion? Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into the situation further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • brettdawgbrettdawg Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    IN NEED OF SOME HELP.. bought a 06 sierra about a month ago. only has 65k on it, i did not notice this on test drive.. and seemed fine plus came with gm warranty 12k, which i am findin out they dont like to pay for things..

main issue at 65-75 mph i get a vibration from front left end, sounds alot like a bad tire or out of balance, had dealer balance and rotate... still same, then they said rotors were rusted on back side and can cause vibration-240.00 later, still same sound.. so my guess now is bearing or is something from cv shafts?? the thing is the dealer is stumped now, they told me everything in front end looks good, with normal wear for 65k on it

add to this is i believe the truck is been in accident after owning it 2 months,even though clean carfax, but i got a spot that has been repainted on fender -[paint starting to peel].. so could accident cause any of this?? or just typical front end issues