Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Nissan Altima

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Im wondering why if you noticed something not right why you ddn't take the car back to the dealership to have them look at it right away. I would be surpised if its really rust.. But again have to wonder why you didnt have the dealer look at the problem sooner.
  • altimaladyaltimalady Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your reply. I didn't say anything because I sure as heck didn't expect it to be what it is. I truly thought it wasn't rust but after today, I know it is. My sister-in-law and husband saw the spots and totally agree this is rust. Also, when I have complained to the dealership in the past regarding a few issues, they just assume I'm a paranoid woman who is never happy. In fact, I had a problem with my manual seats which would not slide easily back and forth. They said it was normally but I insisted it wasn't. After they looked at it for the second time they discovered a screw that was not fully screwed down which didn't allow the seats to slide easily.

My 14 yr old Pontiac Grand Am didn't have a spec of rust because I took take of it. I surely don't expect a new car to have this problem.

Do you know what recourse I would have?
  • b777girlb777girl Member Posts: 7
    That was my first question as well...I would've driven that car to the dealership straight away. Nevertheless, take it to the dealership ASAP and don't let it go until you are happy. In my opinion, you should get a new car, since rust is such a BIG DEAL (if it truly IS rust). If you aren't happy with the dealership at which you bought the car, you can always take it to any Nissan Dealer. I've done this, just to get a second opinion.
    My dealership thinks I'm a paranoid owner as well, as I have taken my 2.5S in a few times since we bought the car in July. My car pulled to the right, the brake pedal squeaked, and there is a rattling noise on startup once in a while. They fixed the first two problems, but after keeping the car for four days, they said they never heard that rattling noise. Whatever.
    Anyway, DON'T WAIT! Take it in!!!! Let us know what they say.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Don't panic just yet. If the pin-sized rust spots disappear with a coat of wax, then I'll bet they're dust particles from the brakes that fly off and stick to the side of the car. Both my wife's Altima ('07) and my Mazda6 ('04) did this within the first few thousand miles of the newer brakes, but they'll dissipate as the brakes get "worn in", and they didn't ruin the paint or the clearcoat finish.
    Good point however some of these spots don't rub off.

I'm petrified to think this is rust plus I've had the call for 11 months so I don't really understand why there would be so much brake dust. My car has 26,000 kms so my brakes have been "broken in". But this is a good point.
    I agree that if this is indeed rust I would prefer a replacement car but how realistic would that be. Dealerships will try their best to cut corners with the least amount of expense to them. I will call the dealership today and let you know what they say.

Wish me luck.
    Well I took the car to the dealership this morning albeit the weather was horrific. Snowy, wet and slushy.

I spoke to the service manager and he looked at the car and confirmed exactly what you said. These are dust/brake particles. He asked me if I live near train tracks or an industrial area which is common for such air bourne debris. I said no but was content to see the orange spots come off even though some were tough.

Even though I wash my car often using the touchless car wash, it was recommended to use a brush to brush off debris that sticks to the car and would not otherwise come off using a high pressure wash.

I have never heard of this problem before so this is a big lesson for me.

mz6greyghost thanks for your thoughts. You were right.

Although I'm a new member to this site, I have been reading posts on this site for the last two years which helped me decide on buying the Altima. It's a beautiful vehicle and have no regrets.

This forum is great.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're glad to have you finally posting! ;)

Good to hear that you've got a resolution to the issue.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    Even though I wash my car often using the touchless car wash, it was recommended to use a brush to brush off debris that sticks to the car and would not otherwise come off using a high pressure wash.

no, no, no, no. do not go to car washes, and do not use brushes on your car. I haven't checked, but I'm sure edmunds has a car care forum. go there and ask for suggestions. Use the right products, and the right techniques and keeping your car looking new for 10 years or more is not that hard. you just have to do it right.
  • gary71gary71 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Nissan Altima and the outside mirrors whistle at speeds above 70-80 Km 45-50Mph. I have had it back to the dealer 4 times and they can not correct the problem. Nissan supposedly had a fix the last time but the drivers side mirror still has a constant whistle, the passenger side is better? Does anyone else have this problem, any ideas how to fix it?
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    Question for any of you owners with the Nav system....what do you think of it? I'm debating whether it is worth the money or not. I have a 3 year old Tom Tom which I love, but I'd like to leave that one in my wifes car and get the Nav in the new Altima. I like the XMNav Traffic, seeing the bluetooth calls, mp3/xm song readouts etc, but I have found that must in car nav systems are kinda weak and not up to date enough. I do realize that the Nav screen blacks out while driving (which would be a little annoying, but a good safety feature), but I can still place a call or look at my address book while driving, correct??

Any info you new owners have would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Tony
  • airball79airball79 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5SL. It has about 12,000 miles on it and the two bolts that attach the serpentine belt to the engine sheared. The dealer was great about repairing it in a timely manner. Needless to say, everything was covered under the warranty, so I'm very happy with that.

I was told by the service manager that this was the first time they had ever seen this type of failure. I'm thinking that the bolts were either over or under torqued during assembly. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • karsickkarsick Member Posts: 312
    Whistling Mirrors.....

Are these the folding mirrors (3.5 V6 models) or the stationary, non-folding kind on the 2.5? :confuse:
    These are the 2.5 non-folding mirrors. Thanks.
  • maricottmaricott Member Posts: 2
    If your use to a TomTom, you will be disappointed with Nissan navigation system. Although the bluetooth and music displays are great, the menu lockout feature is a real pain. If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped the navigation package and bought a TomTom. Keep in mind, the navigation system itself works well, it's the lockout feature I don't like....
    Thanks maricott, I appreciate your honesty. I like that I can still get the bluetooth in the prem pkg and skip the tech pkg.......but, with that said, I'm still conflicted.....the nav does look great on the dash and there's only a $1700 (invoice) difference between the Tech pkg and the prem pkg.,,,,

One more question, how do you feel the voice activated commands work? For both bluetooth calls and nav instructions?

Thanks!
    I'll chim in here, I do not have the Nav system in my COupe for I do have the Preiumin PKG tho. I had a 07 Versa with Bluetooth and loved it, after having that in a car, I can not live with out. The Bluetooth system in the Altima is the next Genereation system, say that, I was expecting some improvement and there are, the people who I'm talking to can hear me better and I dont sound like i'm calling from a phone booth. But my system is having a hard time dialing the preprogramded/ stored numbers in the phonebook. That is one of the items the dealer needs to look into. The Bose sound system is great, I personnel wished I had gotten the Tech PKG, the price is a bargin when you compare it to the aftermarket system. Yes, the Nissan system at start up is a pain, but the other features in the package are well worth the price, plus its intergrated into the car and had a clean look, instead of having wires dangleing around the windshield.

But my issue with the phone book, doesnt stop me from using the bluetooth.

Also, dont be surpised if all state enact laws around cell phone usage while driving.
    So you think that getting the tech pkg would have solved the address book/stored numbers problem? Did you have that problem in your Versa? To be honest with you, I'm not really sure how the whole bluetooth system works b/c I've never had it in one of my cars; however, it seems like a no brainer for safety reasons and I'm really looking forward to having it.

Thank you for your response and input.
  • oh2beinscoh2beinsc Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 2.5 that I bought in july. I feel like I have had nothing but problems. It is currently in the shop again. at 7K a new alternator had to be put in. and now at just under 11K I am hearing that rattle sound that peopl ehere have talked about but I am also not gettign close to the MPG that the window sticker said I would. I drive 95% highway miles everyday. and I am only getting 28.5 on average with a high grade gas as well. the sticker said 28 city 34 hwy. I am starting to wonder if they pulled those numbers out of the heads. i drive about 60-65 on the hwy also being careful not to get the RPM's up too much. I love the car the look the feel everything about it except for what is apparently under the hood. the service mngr insists that it is the gas i am using i told him he is full of it. anyone else having these same issues
  • vikariousvikarious Member Posts: 15
    Well, we all know that no car usually gets what the window sticker says.

I drive mostly non-freeway and right now I'm getting 23 MPG. I'm also having tire issues and its COLD, but...it does seem quite low, so I feel you.

If there's no requirement to use the higher grade gas, why are you using it?

Thanks for reminding me that I need to call and make an appt. to get my car fixed though!
  • ckwalkersckwalkers Member Posts: 6
    My car is about to hit 36,000 and everything has went wrong nothing major but annoying. The electric window, the electric seat, windshield rubber piece, and the rattling noise on start up which the service dept cannot hear or know what it could be. Also everytime I take it in to get a warranty piece fixed something else is broken when I pick it up. The parts are always on backorder - always.... The service manager always comes up with some lame excuse for everything I find fault with in the car. I am thinking of trading it in. This is my first new car - never had problems like this before with an older 4 - 5 year car in need of repairs. What are you supposed to do - argue with everyone before anything gets accomplished. Annoying as the "small problems" are - the rattling in the engine is a very big concern of mine. Please help if you have any advice on what to do.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I drive 95% highway miles everyday. and I am only getting 28.5 on average with a high grade gas as well... the service mngr insists that it is the gas i am using i told him he is full of it.

No, he's not full of it.

The 2.5L requires regular grade gasoline (87 octane), not premium fuel (91+ octane). Burning premium is effectively wasting gas as it's not burned as thoroughly (and efficiently) as regular grade gas.
    I only started using the prem. because he told me that the window sticker mileage was with prem. not reg. So I was only doing it based on his suggestions. I have never has a car not give me that the sticker says. now it had been awhile ( 5 years) since I had bought a brand new car but I doubt things like that should change. but every new car I have had gave me promised MPG's
    I drive 95% highway miles everyday. and I am only getting 28.5 on average with a high grade gas as well. the sticker said 28 city 34 hwy. I am starting to wonder if they pulled those numbers out of the heads

The government assigns that number, not the manufacturer
    Does anyone have any idea what the rattling noise is on start up. Have you taken into the dealership, if so, what answer or how did the remedy the problem?
  • victrolajazzvictrolajazz Member Posts: 75
    "I'll chim in here, I do not have the Nav system in my COupe for I do have the Preiumin PKG tho. I had a 07 Versa with Bluetooth and loved it, after having that in a car, I can not live with out. The Bluetooth system in the Altima is the next Genereation system, say that, I was expecting some improvement and there are, the people who I'm talking to can hear me better and I dont sound like i'm calling from a phone booth. But my system is having a hard time dialing the preprogramded/ stored numbers in the phonebook. That is one of the items the dealer needs to look into. The Bose sound system is great, I personnel wished I had gotten the Tech PKG, the price is a bargin when you compare it to the aftermarket system. Yes, the Nissan system at start up is a pain, but the other features in the package are well worth the price, plus its intergrated into the car and had a clean look, instead of having wires dangleing around the windshield."

Remember when we used to drive out pleased as punch with radio/heater/overdrive?
    Regarding the EPA numbes prior to 2008 they were not close to what people really got in thier cars, this is known fact for years, so for people sit and complain about that, that is why the EPA changed how they did the MPG on cars from 2008 and on. I'm getting 29.5 in my 2.5S coupe with CVT which is very close to the 2008 EPA figures..
    regarding the rattling noise the dealerhsip called me right as i was getting ready to pick the car up because they couldn't find anything wrong with it and said they had just found a new recall on the exsaust system. and they think that may be the cause of the sound. so maybe call your local dealership and ask them about that
    Thanks I will call them again. It sounds like its in the engine - almost like there is no oil in it during start up? I don't know I'm almost at 36,000 and all these problems keep coming up - I think I will contact Nissan Corp. as it seems there a lot of people with the same start up problem. My service dept is a joke always given me some kind of excuse for each and every problem. They treat me like a woman that knows nothing - that is so annoying. Terrible service to say the least. Thanks for your reply I will check into the exhaust system.
  • ciscokatciscokat Member Posts: 1
    I too am not getting the sticker MPG'S although very close to it. Heard on CNN that the gov is requiring manufacturers to produce "cleaner, more efficient running vehicles". However, in the process, the maufacturers, have in turn, gotten the Gov to agree to "update" the guidelines surrounding the MPG's, to make them more accurate. All parties concerned, agreed the MPG's were "not very accurate" with the current manner in which they are determined.
    Does anyone out there have any other ideas on this problem? Thanks.
  • vikariousvikarious Member Posts: 15
    Is it a high pitched whistle or is it just wind sound??

I complained of a wind sound coming from my front passenger area and they found the windshield had a bad seal. I just had that fixed today and I think it's ok now.

The strange thing is, I got another 2007 Altima 2.5 as a loaner today and it had the same air leak noise from the same area. I'm wondering if it's a problem on lots of the cars.

If it's a high pitched whistle I have no advice!
    I am having the same piece on my windshield replaced right now - it is warped and coming loose. I had the same noise apprently defect in the car.
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    Just bought a 07 3.5 SE Altima and was told by salesman that the car had a block heater. Tried to find the cord but no joy. Could anyone tell me where in the engine compartment would I find the cord. 2) Is it possible to have a remote starter with the intelligent key? If so, would I have to have another F.O.B? :confuse:
    don't know about the block heater, but the remote start is possible. and you don't need a new fob. go here and either search or ask.
    link title
  • carguy65carguy65 Member Posts: 24
    I found the power cord way down under the lower grill, it was hard to find.
  • bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    I have an '07 3.5 SE. Do they all have this or was it an add-on?
  • richards2richards2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an '07 Nissan Altima 2.5S about 2 weeks ago. After a day or two of driving it I noticed that when I put it into gear like reverse or drive that it would take it several seconds for it to actually "go into gear". I have to wait until I "feel" it go into the gear before I can go. I took it back to the dealer and they said that there was nothing mechanically wrong with it. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't know if this is a problem or not but it is a noticeable hesitation and I don't know what to think. Also, when I first take off the engine sounds louder for the first several seconds and then "levels out". Is this a normal thing with the CVT transmission? I admit I don't know much about the workings of a car but I am just worried that I purchased a car that is going to have problems.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    My cousin has the same problem. It takes several seconds before its goes into gear. Its really disturbing. Nissan should do something about it. Its a annoying hestiation.
  • b777girlb777girl Member Posts: 7
    We bought ours back in May of 2007. Same car. It is slow (in my humble opinion) to get into gear. I always find myself saying, "C'mon, let's GO".
    I don't know if that has to do with the CVT or not. All I know is my 2002 Corolla responded a heck of a lot faster.
    ALSO, it is often loud right at start up. I took it back to the dealership because it would sometimes make this rattling/grinding noise at start up, but they kept starting it on and off for four days and they didn't hear it. Whatever. The longer I've owned it, the less it has happened. In fact, I haven't heard it in a long time.
    Besides those two things, we've not had any issues with the car. I AM a little concerned about the quality of the paint job as it has more nicks in it than the car I've had for 6 years.
    I too worried I bought a bad car, but the longer I own it, the more I like it. This is my first Nissan, so I found myself overanalyzing EVERYTHING about it.
    Bought my new 07 3.5 SE 6sp manual in February of 08. I drove it home and have parked it to await spring and warmer temps to rust proof it. While moving the cars in my driveway I have just found out that the car was built in October of 2006. Would it be possible to have a car sit for that long without problems? The car only had 120 kms on the odo when bought. I am surprised that Nissan would not require that the oil be change at delivery as it was almost a year and a half old. What problems could I run into in the future with the car sitting for so long? I am also finding it hard to believe that a car would be built and not sold for so long, could the odometer have been pushed back? How would I go about checking the mileage to determine if it's in fact accurate? :confuse:
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I agree....sounds suspicious. Was there anything unusual about this particular car, like unusual color or option set?

How did you come to this age determination, and are you sure you are correct?

Thats a long time to sit on a lot. However, it is possible to see this, and it doesn't necessarily mean anything has been harmed.

I bought a 2000 Chrysler Concorde on February 2001...manufactured in May 2000...still in the showroom. Seemed that no one wanted a front bench-style seat. I got a great price on it and kept it until June 2007 with no problems, other than a leaking valve stem seal, which could have been related to sitting for so long, but probably not. Still...

Things I would look for....

Tire wear...If only 120 km they should still have the rubber casting "nubs" created at the time of manufacture at least partially present. Also, check the manufacture date of the tires...You can find out how to read the date codes on the web...just do a search for "reading automobile tire date code". Obviously, the tire dates should pre-date the auto manufacture date. If not, you may wish to consult an attorney.

Engine oil...Again, at 120 KM it should be practically clear to translucent, definitely not dark brown to black.

Put it on a lift and look underneath...again, at 120 KM, the underside should be almost spotless. Look at the joints as well, such as where the door jams are exposed, and where the hood/trunk lid covers hidden body parts. The areas may be "dingy" looking, but should not have any visible granular dirt particles present.

You may also examine the engine air filter and cabin air filter for excessive dirt...they should both look new.

If all checks out OK, I think I would at least ask the dealer to perform an oil/filter change at no cost to you, and if all is above board, I would think it would be no problem to get this done.

Give us another post with an update...

Good luck!
    The date of manufacture is on a sticker on the drivers side door jam with month and year of build. In my case it's 10/06. I will definately be going back to the dealer for an oil change free of charge.

The car is very clean with only a small scratch on the bottom of the bumper which I could of done with my snow shovel. The only other complaint is the engine cover grey paint lettering VQ 3.5 is almost worn off. It's almost like somebody took the engine cover and replaced it with their used one. It could be very difficult getting Nissan to cough up for a new engine cover.

The car is the nice jade green mettallic with cloth and a sunroof. The only thing that the salesman said was, he was having trouble selling 3.5l cars as they take premium gas. He sold 10 four cylinder cars to 1 six cylinder. I wonder if having the manual hurts as well. It wasn't the only 07 on the lot as there was a green 3.5l fully loaded with leather and Nav.

Thanks for the opinion as I was just concerned with the long term ramifications.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I'm not sure but it's hard to imagine that a new Altima couldn't be sold for over a year. I bought my new '07 in Aug. 07 and the build date was July 07. They didn't even have time to take out the plastic wrap when I looked at the car.
    the engine cover grey paint lettering VQ 3.5 is almost worn off

That seems a bit strange. Why would the lettering be worn off just sitting idle?

Did you check the tire date to see if it matched the manufacture date?

I checked my Altima and found the manufacture date in the label, just where you said it would be.

Good luck!
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    . I wonder if having the manual hurts as well.

I think this is the key reason why the car sat so long. I think the only people who still buy these cars are Edmunds posters! :P

Enjoy the car, I'm loving mine.
  • karsickkarsick Member Posts: 312
    IMHO - Regarding manual transmissions.....

On the used market, A/T's have lots of BROAD appeal, but manuals have a very loyal, devoted following who won't accept anything else.

I noticed this with 5-series BMWs and Saabs & also with our last car, an Infiniti G20t. The manuals make up about 20-25% of G20's, but many of those who don't simply view cars as a commodity will not accept a slushbox.

I had enthusiasts fighting over who gets to buy our 14-year old, 250,000-mile G20t, mainly due to the combination of the touring pkg & a real gearbox.

Our '08 6MT Altima 2.5s won't appeal to a broad mass of used car buyers in a decade, but there will be someone (another retro-grouch like me ;) )out there for whom that combo is perfect.
  • digmyregaldigmyregal Member Posts: 12
    I live where it's flat so will probably get the 4 cyl, but someone here said the 6 needs premium gas. Is this a fact? I'd consider a 6 but if this is true then NO WAY Jose gas is already expensive enough. I'm looking to get a low mileage '06 or '07. I drive a lot, about 30k per year. Thanks.
    Premium is suggested but not required in the 6 cylinder.
    the increase in MPG you'll get from premium will probably offset the additional cost. but anyways, if your going to spend the extra money to get a better, more powerfull engine....................don't cheap out on the gas. the extra 3-4 dollars a fill up you would save just isn't worth it.