Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Durango

Comments

• Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    according to chrysler literature the 4.7l powertrain (including new tranny) is designed for a minimum of 150k miles before any internal parts need replacing. i guess i'll leave it up to you whether you want to believe that or not. as for the 5.9l...i have no idea what criteria is was engineered to meet. but we all know that the old chrysler v/8s are legendary.
  • Options
    hermanshermanhermansherman Member Posts: 3
    a durango i am interested in lists two charges
    B02 New York - PPA/EB-PF $210 and
    T02 New York - DAA $310

dealer says that these are advertising charges and must be included in his "invoice cost"
    anyone know? is this true?
    thanks in advance
  • Options
    q8740q8740 Member Posts: 12
    If you are buying from a dealer the ad fee's are standard, I have heard some people getting the dealer to reduce the ad fee's

You can also check out cars direct.com they will locate you a car from a local dealer and there is no add fee's and I think there price is a little below dealer cost.

I recently bought a new Durango R/T loaded from CarOrder.com for $1545.00 under dealer cost and they also took off the $1000 rebate.

Scott Q
  • Options
    When you say that you got your Durango
    $1545.00 under dealer cost,
    did the dealer cost include the ad fees???

thanks in advance
    herman
  • Options
    sjdowlinsjdowlin Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 4.7 w/3.55 and part time 4wd. It is rated to pull 4450lbs. (over twice what you plan to pull) I think the 3.92 takes you up to 5500lbs rating. I pull a 3500lb boat/trailer combination in some pretty hilly terrain. It works very well. Much better than the Explorer it replaced. If you are going to tow a lot, or expect to tow more weight in the future, step up to the 5.9/3.92 combo. Otherwise, the 4.7/3.55 combo should work well.

Good luck.
  • Options
    really appreciate your helpful advice
    herman
  • Options
    fboykinfboykin Member Posts: 2
    Hey, sjdowlin, I posted the question on towing with the 4.7/3.55. Could you email me directly or make your email address public in your profile? I'd like to talk with you directly if you're agreeable. I plan to tow from Atlanta to Tampa and back (6 hrs)a couple of times a year. I found a Duranto today close to what I want, except it lacks 4 wheel ABS and has the 3.55 rear end. Your comments make me thing the 3.55 would work fine for me. Anyone have any views on getting 4 wheel ABS? I'm thinking I could be riding in my new truck like real soon
  • Options
    sjdowlinsjdowlin Member Posts: 3
    That's a lot of miles, You need to look at the GCW number. I think it's 9200 on the 3.55 and 10,000 or more for the 3.92. If you plan to have the truck and trailer loaded with people and their crap, you may find yourself close to the rated load limit. That should be OK as long as you don't drive like a maniac or do this every weekend.

You may want to look at the 5.9 with a 3.55. That would deliver plenty of towing power and I think they are pretty easy to come by. The mileage will be very close to the 4.7 with the 3.92. The 5.9 is a tried and true motor that should deliver years of trouble free operation.

It is all a trade off. The beefier your powertrain, the easier towing will be ... and the worse your mileage.

There is lots of good discussion on this and other Durango topics at Durangoclub.com.
  • Options
    bigsilverbigsilver Member Posts: 2
    i have a 200 durango 4.7 with hd coolong. is it normal for the temp gauge reading to fluctuate from 150 to 200 while driving. the guage has not gone past 210 but is it normal for it to fluctuate while driving?
  • Options
    nrd525nrd525 Member Posts: 109
    I would pass on ANY vehicle without 4 wheel ABS,it's just too useful to be without.It has been on my last 3 vehicles,2 SUV's and a Pickup.
    As far as the 3.55 rear goes,I'd still advise against it.The Durango you saw without the 3.92 must have been with the little tires/wheels,because that's an automatic upgrade to 3.92 when you get them.To me,it look odd,like it's unfinished,without the flares that come with the bigger 31x10.5x15 tires.Just my opinion.I was trying to keep the cost down,but would never cut the bigger tires and flares out.In overdrive,the RPM's would still be under 2000,so milage wouldn't be affected that much by going higher in ratio.The4.7 is a revver compared to the 5.9,so it would even be more important to go to the 3.92.The 5.9 would still be better with it,and I doubt if you can even find a 5.9 without 3.92's.Everyone I've ever seen had the bigger tires,and the higher gears.
    My combo,and I was going to buy it,it was sitting there in Patriot Blue,and Bright Red,was an SLT(not a plus),5.9,full time 4wd,cloth interior,3.92 rear,4Wabs,Limited slip rear,and the usual toys.It stickered at 33,400,I think,I had them down to 30,400 pretty quickly.But,after sitting in it for a while,it was just too tight in front,and I didn't like the seats much more than the Jeep I was getting rid of,and the seating and driving position was the reason I was dumping it.So,it was a Ram Quad Cab for me,or the GM I bought for me.If only the Ram had the power the Sierra did...
  • Options
    lawson4lawson4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a rather simple question for all you DD owners. Have any of you taken your durango's off road at all? Anything from a washboard fire road to sandy beaches to the rough stuff. I was going to get an Xterra, but I just found out about a little one on the way so I wanted something bigger like the DD. I considered the Ram, but back seat is tiny although I love the width up front. Also, how has reliability been? From what I have read seems to be pretty good. Thanks, I appreciate any response.
  • Options
    dodgeguydodgeguy Member Posts: 1
    Hey Lawson, I,ve taken my 5.2L 99' D offroad many times. Pretty good performance overall. Been in many a bouncy ride ride in troopers and 4-runners. I'd recommend the 5.9L for any major towing. Had minor tech. glitches on doors and battery but decent gas mileage 18-20 highway and 14 city. On demand 4wd is a nice option. depends on how much offroading whether worth the extra$. Good luck but check out 2000 online. don't know of the problems if any.
  • Options
    bar23bar23 Member Posts: 1
    I am upset,

For being A new 1999 Dodge Durango, I have encountered clicking sounds,
    as well as having OIL red light come on. First it was brought in for the clicking noise. (The differential needed to be adjusted)
    secondly, I brought it in due to a red light coming on when I would stop the vehicle.
    Very low Oil Pressure. That doesn't make sense since the Oil was changed recently. Sure enough I was low on 2 quarts of oil. Thinking
    the oil change facility made a mistake the dealer went ahead and filled the oil up properly. This was when the miles were about 14000. Now at 15 thousand, I encountered the same issue. I checked
    the oil and sure enough I was down 2 quarts. I obviously have a leak which occurs during driving since I barely have any drips on my garage floor. What makes me upset is the vehicle is
    new and I have brought it to the dealer twice. Secondly,
    with the oil dissapearing out of this vehicle so rapidly, I
    wouldn't expect to change the oil every 750 miles or so.
    Therefore, I am driving this engine into the ground with very little
    oil in it. Engine damage could have occured by now
    due to the negligance of the construction of this vehicle.

I am not happy, and I don't want it any more. No one
    should have to pay 30K for a vehicle and within 15000 miles
    have these issues.

This
    is my first Dodge Vehicle and I pray that their company will take care of this.

Thank you,
  • Options
    nrd525nrd525 Member Posts: 109
    Sorry to hear about your problems.I figure they will just put another engine in it,and you should be fine.I'm surprised the dealer didn't say something about it the last time you were in.I would squawk about it,and if they don't fix it,go to another dealer,and talk to DC customer service.
    It sounds like it's leaking on to the exhaust,or maybe it gets bad only when it's moving,and the oil pressure is up.
    They will do a lot before buying it back,putting an engine in it SHOULD solve the problem,if it's internal,if not,they should have seen it by now.My friend's Durangoes use no oil at all..Good Luck..
  • Options
    terry43terry43 Member Posts: 14
    I have been a car nut for many years and have never made a purchase until I have investigated every possibility. I like the Durango except for the following which could change when the 2001's are available:

1. 4.7 liter engine only available with 4 wheel drive. I want 2 wheel drive.
    2. Drum brakes on the rear. I want 4 wheel discs.
    3. Crash tests for driver rated as poor.
    4. Poor gas milage on the 4.7 liter
  • Options
    1drewsky11drewsky1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced bad fishtailing on wet roads?

We have a 98 5.9L Durango that has my wife scared to drive because of recurring fishtailing and perceived control issues.

Does the Durango have too much power for the weight with rear wheel drive?

Also...does anyone know of tires that for the Durango that are best for wet (Oregon!!!) roads???

Thanks
  • Options
    justin40justin40 Member Posts: 1
    anyone having problems with gas mileage,10mpg with the 4.7L 4WD city diving. Dealer said they unable to find anything wrong. Also said that the trip computer is very unrelible? any comments?
  • Options
    mrboostmrboost Member Posts: 32
    Only Engine available for 2000 2WD is 5.2.

Havent heard anything about 2001 models, drum brakes work fine. Rear discs only perform about 10% of braking.

Actually the D is in the preferred group of SUV's regarding Safty. Real statistics bear this out. Please go thru previous posts, someone has a link listing the Insurance Industry's ratings and the D scores well.

No problem with oil control in my 2000 with the 5.9. Converted it to Amsoil synthetic at 2300 miles and currently have 8000 miles. It has not used any oil in 5700 miles.

Currently got 17.2 MPG on my latest tank over the holiday weekend driving mostly highway in the Mountains in NH.

Dont have any problems with fishtailing on wet pavement on my 2000 with FT4WD(Selectrac) and 3.92 with LSD on stock Goodyears.

Later
  • Options
    rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    I also have a '98 5.9, and did experience fishtailing with the stock Goodyear tires. I have since replaced the tires with BF Goodrich All-Terrains, and have reduced the rear tire slippage almost completely. I would strongly recommend replacing the tires. The best tires on wet roads are Michelin or Yokohama according to many D owners. The 5.9 produces huge amounts of torque, so you may still break loose under heavier throttle. Recognize the limits and drive accordingly. You can also engage 4wd when slippage is evident as long as you don't experience binding in the driveline.
  • Options
    terry43,

You DON'T want 2wd unless you live where there is no chance of precipitation, and even then I would recommend FT4WD for handling. The D is a heavy truck with the weight distributed to the front. As explained in the fishtailing post, these engines produce lots of torque, and don't handle very well with just the rear wheels driven.

Rear disc brakes are always better when they are quality brakes, but most American manufacturers use low quality rotors and pads. If you want rear discs, have the drums converted with quality upgrades. It will cost you more, but consider that Dodge would only raise the vehicle price to give you rear disc, and you'd still have low quality brakes.

Don't worry about crash tests - worry about what your insurance co. charges. That's the real safety indicator.
  • Options
    phantom00phantom00 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when will the '01 Durango will be available for purchase? I am interested in buying a '00 Durango but if the '01 is going to be available soon then I don't mind waiting for another month or so. Thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks for helping me through some of my questions. Jeeps and Explorers both have rear disc brakes. I know that drum brakes work fine but are more difficult to work on. The '97 F150 had drum brakes but were upgraded to discs in '98 or '99. I was just hoping that Durango would do the same. Do you really think that the Durango would have a traction problem with the 4.7 with rear wheel drive? I thought you could get the 5.9 in rear wheel drive. Wouldn't fishtailing be even worse with the 5.9 than the 4.7?
  • Options
    I would really like to see rear disc brakes on the Durango, but if they are going to use the cheap rotors and pads that they are using now on the fronts, you're better off with the drums. The fronts squeal, groan, and grunt, and leave a coating of dust so thick it looks like the front rims are painted black. I bought high-performance, cross-drilled replacement rotors with better pads to fix the problem.

Yes, I do think that you will have less handling in 2wd, even with the 4.7. However, I would suggest that you try a test drive with a 2wd 4.7 when the roads are slick, and make your own decision. Also, the tires make a big difference. As I said, I have eliminated much of the fishtailing problem by going to another brand.
  • Options
    dwh6dwh6 Member Posts: 10
    rcarboni:

While I can't speak of how much better FT4WD handling is, I can definitely say that I have had absolutely no handling issues when my PT4WD 5.9L is in 2WD mode. Even on rain-soaked streets. In fact, the only time I've even heard the back tires slip in 2WD mode was when I was on some sort of loose surface, like rocks. I would imagine FT4WD would help somewhat in this situation, but not sure how much.
  • Options
    justin40 (#62):

I too had poor gas mileage early in my ownership experience. I was LUCKY to get 10 mpg average. After a few weeks I checked the tire pressure and found that the dealership must not have raised pressure to spec before delivering the truck to me. Each tire was set at a uniform 25 psi! As soon as I raised my pressure to 35 psi all around, the mileage jumped a full 4 mpg. About 7 months later now and I can get 16 mpg on the highway if lucky. Not great, but expected. BTW, I have a 2000 5.9, PT4WD.
  • Options
    The biggest problem I had with the D and the stock Goodyears was accelerating from a stand-still on wet roads. I spun the tires and fishtailed nearly every time. I will admit that I tend to have a heavy foot, but interestingly enough, I was behind another Durango at a light not that long ago, and he too spun the tires on the wet pavement with what appeared to be not heavy acceleration (I was in my Buick, so I don't know if my D would have spun or not).

I don't think the problem is the vehicle more than it is the tires. As I've mentioned, once I swapped to BFG All-Terrains, the spinning has been almost completely eliminated. This problem is also not exclusively inherent to the Durango. I had the same problem with my Bronco in 2wd, and to a lesser extent, both my Jeep Wranglers. All these vehicles, like pickups, are very light in the rear, and have low-revving, high-torque engines. That's the reason all the farmers around here load up their pickups with sand, stone, etc. in the winter.

I definitely think the FT4WD option will give you much better accelerating traction. Other than the added wear to the front drive components, I don't really see the advantage of not getting this.
  • Options
    lasleylasley Member Posts: 2
    I came to this site for basically the same question. I own a 2000 5.9L SLT+ DD. I purchased it 3 months ago & already have 10K miles on it (way past the break in period in my opinion). The last 2K miles, it has burned 1 quart of oil. When I asked my dealer about it, he replied "some engines burn a quart every 1K miles". This is not very reassuring for a 35K vehicle. I own an '87 Jeep Wrangler that leaks like a sive & burns less oil.
    All & all, I have not been very pleased with my decision & wish I had looked into it further. Yes, the towing capacity is awesome, but I think it gets better gas mileage when towing, then driving down the highway.
    I also re-ended a Toyota Camary at about 15 mph & did $2,500 worth of damage (I did less is my accident in my Geo).
    As for off-roading, maybe I am just spoiled by my Jeep, but the ground clearance bites, it rarely stays in 4 wheel, the limited slip is a joke & the only thing that has pleasantly surprised me is my $130 plastic skid plates...
    All & all, the only thing that saves me is the V8.
    If I could get what I owed out of it, I would probably sell it... But oh well...
    Please let me know if any one else has a problem w/ the oil & the fact that Dodge is saying it's "normal".
    Thanks for the input...
  • Options
    With all the changes that the car companies are making to reduce pollution it doesn't sound right that burning 1 guart per 1000 miles is normal. It sounds like something to get you off their back. Believe it or not my 1988 Mercury has 191,000 and still only uses 1 guart per 5,000 miles. I would trade it in, sell it, or give it away but I want to know just how far it will go.
  • Options
    sandydeesandydee Member Posts: 2
    Friends

I bought a new Durango, wanted a 4.7L V8 but got a 5.9L V8
    I know the MPG is poor, but this is ridiculous. I've done
    2000 miles and get 13 mpg on the road (at 75 mph).

My question, many passenger cars are tuned to get the best
    mileage at 70-80 mph, where is the optimum for my Durango?

signed, gassed
  • Options
    sandydeesandydee Member Posts: 2
    Nothing is supposed to burn a qt of oil
    Click and Clack would have you call in the
    manager and suggest something be done
    (it's completely unacceptable)
  • Options
    azbraveazbrave Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone installed a K&N (or equivalent) air filter attachment on their D, and if so, did it improve gas mileage?
    The dealer sells a Mopar air filter attachment that they claim will increase gas mileage by 2-4 mpg.
  • Options
    lasley,

If a dealer told you that it is normal for a new vehicle with 10K miles to burn 1qt. of oil in 1K miles, you need to report that dealer to a regional rep, as that dealer has no business working on engines. I think you should also tell us who the dealer is so that we can avoid them as well.

Your oil burning is in no way indicative of the Magnum engine line. I can honestly say that this is one issue that is not reported with any frequency in the owner community. At the rate you mentioned, smoke from the tailpipe would be prevalent, and the dealer should find immediate cause for alarm.

sandydee,

No offense, but what made you think you would get good gas mileage in a 5000lb. truck with a V8 engine that generates that much power? What mileage figure are you looking for? 13mpg is actually pretty good for the first 2000 miles. Let the engine break in, and you should add 1-2mpg more. If there is a "sweet spot" for optimal mpg at a speed, I don't think 75mph would be it - probably closer to 55 based on wind resistance and RPM ranges. Watch your tach and remember, the lower the RPMs while cruising, the better the mpg.

The best 5.9 Durangos are averaging 15-16mpg with upwards of 18mpg on the highway. I personally average 15.2 in mostly "country" driving. If you want to hit these numbers, you'll have to have the engine perfectly tuned, and have a very light foot. Good luck, but don't expect miracles.

If you want more info from owners, check out the Durango Owners forum, and the Dakota Mailing List.
  • Options
    azbrave,

Most owners installing K&N replacement filters, open cone filters, and cold-air filters report mpg increases that are slight at best - more along the lines of 1-2mpg in the best cases. I've even read of mpg losses after installing some filters (probably because the foot gets heavier).

The primary objective for these types of filters is usually more power, not necessarily more mpg. However, if you can keep your foot light, you should see some increase. The problem is though, that depending on how much the filter costs, the rate of return may be years. Something to consider.

I initially installed a K&N replacement filter and Gibson cat-back in my 5.9 D, and realized about a 1mpg increase (not that I was looking for an increase). If you decide to get a replacement filter or intake, I would do it for the increase in power, and I would recommend a cold-air intake like the one here:
    http://www.intenseperformance.com
  • Options
    I got quite a shock Saturday when I went shopping for a Durango and also looked at the Explorer. The little sticker that is now required that states where various components are made stated that the 5.9 liter Durango engine is made in Mexico. The 4.7 and 5.2 are both made in the good old USA like the 5.9 use to be. The 4 liter Explorer engine is made in Germany and the transmission is made in France. No way will I buy anything from France. I'm just to much American to do that.
  • Options
    terry43,

Many American brand cars and trucks are made in other countries, and likewise, some foreign cars are made here in the US. The most American of vehicles, the Jeep CJ/YJ, for a while was manufactured in Canada! I also have a Buick that is Canadian. There is another topic discussing the Mexican Suburban, and if I recall, John Deere also has a facility in Mexico.

You might have to buy a Honda, Subaru, or Isuzu if you want to be American, as these were most likely built in Ohio, Alabama, or Indiana.
  • Options
    lasley:

I agree with everyone else. One quart per mile is not normal.

Also, did you actually "believe" the marketing hype in the commercials that told you that a vehicle with only 7" ground clearance will be capable of serious off-roading? If you want such off-roading capability, go buy the Land Rover/Range Rover, Land Cruiser (not the yuppy version), or a Hummer. I suppose some Jeeps are OK too, but are in a different class altogether.
  • Options
    Sandydee:

Not to be mean, but you were sort of warned about the 5.9L mileage in topic 2645, which you initiated. :) In post #21 in that topic, someone stated:

"My V8 (in another vehicle) gets, realisticly, on the highway, 18.5 - 20.5; and in pure stop-and-go,
    14-14.5. I hope the 4.7 is equal to that, but we
    both know the 5.2 can't do it, and the 5.9...well,
    we won't talk about that one."

Now, the "good" news is that your mileage will rise somewhat during break-in, but not all that much. Sorry, but enjoy the truck for what it is! I just carried over 1400 pounds of mulch and top-soil all at once in my 2000 5.9L D this past weekend. I've owned a lot of smaller SUVs, but none of them could have accomplished this (simply not enough room). Also, most any minivan would have bottomed out its suspension easily and probably would have been driving down the road with their front wheels off the ground!

Enjoy your D!
  • Options
    rcarboni--I consider "American" as Americans working not the name of the vehicle. I don't have a problem with a Honda made in Ohio. By the way I looked at the Nissan and Isuzu SUV's yesterday. The transmission in the Isuzu is made in France. I couldn't believe it. When I was in Japan nearly every truck I saw was an Isuzu. What is the deal with French built transmissions? Are they especially good or especially cheap?
  • Options
    sandettimsandettim Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Durango with 4.7L, HD, LSD, 3.92, and tow package and had a problem towing my 4600 lb Trailer. After towing 4+ hours, I heard a chattering noise come from the trany when turning at low speed (like at a light). After unhitching, I moved up & down the driveway several times and then it just stopped. I haven't heard it since. Dodge said it was probably the trany overheating but couldn't do anything unless it did it at the garage. This problem sounds similar to LarryB9's (post 15). Has anyone else experienced this problem and/or found a resolution? I bought this truck to tow! Is there a problem I wasn't aware of?
  • Options
    Installing a trans temp gauge will keep you from frying the tranny before it's too late. You could also add a deeper pan and use synthetic fluid to add more protection. Have the dealer check/adjust the TVC cable as well. Loose, sloppy shifting will cause overheating. If you tow all the time, you could also consider a shift kit to firm up the shifts and reduce heat. Also, you probably already know this, but don't tow in OverDrive.
  • Options
    nmcclungnmcclung Member Posts: 3
    Folks,
    I have a 2k D SLT+ 4.7l fully loaded with the 3.55 gear ratio with about 5500 miles on it. During my(my wife's) normal driving which is mostly hilly I am good to get 13 mpg across the span of a tank of gas. It's normally around 11+. Believe it or not, we took a trip to Indianapolis from NJ across Pennsylvania and I posted an average of 18+ and almost 19 mpg on the return trip. This was calculated from the miles divided by the gallons and not the trip meter. I couldn't believe it. Anyway, it could be from the flatness of Indiana and Ohio or the synthetic oil (mobil 1) that was used. BTW, I almost exclusively cruised at 70 mph. So there still may be hope for the D owners who want higher mileage just travel to Indiana. As for me, I am happy with my D and my occasional 13 mpg as this was not the reason for purchasing it. I bought it because I could not go to the grocery with my family and buy anything and have a place to put it.

Good Luck,
    Nathan
  • Options
    captain13captain13 Member Posts: 10
    I too am having some tranny problems with my 3 week old 00 with the 4.7l and 3.55 gears. When I picked up my new D it already had 250 miles on it and on the way home the engine check light was on. After spending 3 hours waiting at the dealership they told me that a transmission sensor was sending false info. I believed them because at that point I wasn't having any problems. Last Monday they had the truck all day,(they gave me a loaner vehicle this time) to replace the sensor. On Tuesday the tranny began to act up. Shifts are very erratic and sloppy. When I shift into drive from reverse the tranny hesitates for 2 to 3 seconds before going into gear. I'm taking it in next Thur. and I hope it all gets fixed this time because I'm starting to think Lemon Law. Has anyone had any similar experiences?
  • Options
    lasleylasley Member Posts: 2
    I live near Palm Springs, CA. I called Dodge City in La Quinta. After my posting here, I decided to call the dealership I bought my DD from 3 months ago, Moss Motors in Riverside. The mechanic there said the same thing. He said it was a part of the break in process & after I get my oil change this time (next week), I should not have this problem any more. He also said that he'd seen ones that burned 1 quart every 900 miles during break in.
    Needless to say, I am putting it up on the market. I am going to put the extra money into my Jeep for off-roading & maybe look into Japanese (or should I say "American") for around-towning. The only problem I find now is Kelly Blue Book has no information on pricing for 00 resales. I paid $35k & think I will ask 31k obo.
    I will keep you all posted after my next oil change.
  • Options
    nmcclungnmcclung Member Posts: 3
    Captain13,
    I had a problem with the shifting of my tranny from N to D. It would hesitate on the N before shifting and then jumping/jerking into drive. We took it back to the dealer and at first pass they were going to replace the steering wheel & shift column. Upon investigating they tightened or adjusted "a cable" and all has been fine since. This may not be the same as yours since my light never came on. BTW, I have the same setup as yours ('00, 4.7l, 3.55)
  • Options
    captain13captain13 Member Posts: 10
    They obviously forgot to do something when they put my tranny back together after changing the sensor. Rcarboni mentioned the TVC cable a few posts ago. That is probably the same cable your dealer adjusted. The problems I am having are very intermittent. The tranny will act up for a while then be fine. Most of the trouble seemed to occur when it was cold. It's going back to the dealer tomorrow. I hope they get it right this time. It's a little frustrating to be dealing with prob's like this on a brand new vehicle
  • Options
    galen1galen1 Member Posts: 1
    Our 1999 DD is a little over a year old and it has a new engine block and a total of three intake gasket systems due to severe oil leakage. Not to mention the new electrical system and O2 sensor for the engine. Through all of this, the dealer's response has been very poor. My husband and I thought that we could negotiate and aquire another vehicle, but the owner was not willing to work with us. His respnse has always been, "That's what warranties are for." His service department stated that all SUV's burn a lot of oil and that this one is no different. It has been out of service a total of 48 ays since we had it and we finally had to resort to utilizing the Lemon Law Guidelines after the required number of repairs. If DC offers a replacement vehicle, we are not certain that we want another DD because our experience has been great and we are hearing not-so-positive things about the 2000 model DD. But, we may be forced to accept a replacement if they deduct a lot of $ for mileage. I am in a profession that sometimes requires a lot of travel and I have quite a few miles (50,000) on it at this time. At this time, it is in for another repair! What should we do?
  • Options
    I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles. No one ever wants to be the unlucky recipient of a lemon, but unfortunately it happens.

First of all, no normal engine "burns" oil. If an engine is loosing oil it is due to an external leak, or the oil is seeping past the piston rings into the combustion chamber. In either case, it is a problem. Don't let someone tell you otherwise.

I would suggest you consult a lawyer to brief you on the specific lemon laws of your state. You may also find help in the Durango Owners Club forum at:
    http://www.durangoclub.com/ceilidh/ceilidh.html

There is one other owner that I know of that used the lemon laws to get a new vehicle.

You may also find satisfaction by talking to the DC district representative in your area. Ask your dealer how to get in contact with this person.
  • Options
    robert1972robert1972 Member Posts: 51
    Hi all,
    I purchased a new durango in april '98, w/ 5.9 +++ all the goodies for my wife, today it only has 14,775 miles and it is going into the shop for the 5th time for oil leaks, this time it's the tranny pan gasket. We have never had any "mechinical" problems with it but the fact is that when you spend this much money on a new vehicle it shouldn't be in the shop so much, hell when we bought this we sold her '87 mercedes 300E with 225,000 miles on it and it was still twice the car. I guess my point is I think the durango is the best looking suv out there, but this will be the last dodge I will ever buy. I drive a 97 dodge diesel that has ben great it has 189,000 miles on it, but keep in mind that is a cummins that has nothing to do with dodge building it, my father has a '98 dodge truck that has the cummins also but he keeps having tranny problems, as soon as the new duramax comes out in the chevy he is going to trade his in. In my opinion all the new dodges are all show and no go!

HEY DODGE TAKE SOME LESSONS FROM FORD AND LEARN HOW TO BUILD SOME REAL TRUCK AND SUV'S.

R......

one last thing the durango has 3.92 gears and on the hwy at about 75 mph it averages 16.5-17mpg with a k&n filter and the a/c on.
  • Options
    robert1972, I bought my D about the same time you did, 5.9, etc., but I haven't had a single leak. As a matter of fact, of the 1000 or so owners in the DOC, and another 850 Dak owneres, oil leak/burning problems are never mentioned. Seems strange that they only show up in this forum. Where was the oil leaking from? You mentioned the tranny pan as well. Have you had the fluid changed? Was the level correct? Tranny fluid many times will begin to leak because of overfilling.

BTW, the FORD comment was hysterical... Took me a while to stop laughing and post a response! ;)
  • Options
    robert1972robert1972 Member Posts: 51
    first time it was in was for the transfer case actually that was the first 2 times, then it was the rear diff input or out put seal, can't remember which, then 2k ago it was for the t-stat housing, what I don't understand is that they only replaced that, but there was oil and auntifreez on the garage floor in the same spot at the same time and if the t stat housing was bad it should have ben only the green auntifreez on the ground but you could clearly see the green floating on top of the oil, I took a picture of it, and showed it to the dealer, but they said it was from the oil filter, funny thing is the oil filter is on the other side and also it is much further back than the leak was. I also have to add though, that after they fixed it, it has never leaked from there again. And no the tranny was never serviced yet because the vehicle has less than 15K.
    R......
This discussion has been closed.