Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 Buick Rendezvous Class Action?

12346»

Comments

• wgatiwgati Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 RDV and just found out I need a new front Differential. I think I can get away with a fluid flush...also I was wondering if GM covers the cost of this work in a class action suit?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    no
  • tobylabtobylab Member Posts: 1
    Please send photos. We have already replaced the engine in our 2002 Vous and even the new engine gets warm fast. I have noticed some of the newer 05-06 Vous have additional vents on each side of the engine built into the fenders as do the Enclave's. It's too bad they don't have them on my 02. You can send the photo's to wgu4us@gmail.com

Thank you!
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    edited February 2012
    buddo9

You still haven't explained why your 2002 runs hot but other 2003s (that use 3.4L engine - like my 2003 RDV) doesn't run hot. It's engine temp needle is steady - directly in vertical postion. Please explain why your 2002 with original factory intake gasket runs hot. And, when folks get their 2002 intake gaskets replaced, they 2002 3.4L engines NO longer run hot.

• cj170cj170 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, it sounds like you are describing my car line by line! After so many overheating issues it will no longer hold anything in the radiator; yesterday I noticed a good amount of water coming from the bottom of the engine while it was running, water pump change? Needless to say, now its parked until I figure out what’s next.
  • jennhardatworkjennhardatwork Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I found this forum and thank god I did. I was going to dump a bunch of money into my 2002 buick rend to get things fixed on it and up to par, but it sounds like that would be a very dumb idea.
    Feedback please.
    I have a 2002. It has 140k on it.
    I bought this car 2 years ago, almost 3 for $5,000. I thought that buicks ran forever, good engines, should be a good car…. Really wrong about that clearly. The AC went first, then the Bank One Sensor/check engine light came in about a month in. This is after the dealership I bought it from sold it to me without a spare tire, (VERY IRRESPONSIBLE DEALERSHIP PRACTICES) The car makes all kind of thumps and bumps in the suspension even after I had rear shocks done. The Anti lock light is on, stays on at all times, the braking system comes on at odd times, if the light does ever go off, it comes on immediately when I back up. The engine is eating oil, I have to top it off every few weeks, the heat comes and goes based on coolant levels, (excellent problem to have in February in Michigan) the rear defrost doesn’t work at all- Not a fuse either. The interior lights are dying at a rate of one every 6 weeks….
    This car sucks…
    This car was supposed to last me for 4 years, that was my financial plan. It isn’t even going to make it to 3, I suspect I am going to have a very large repair any day now and I am trying to unload it ASAP.
    Everything I have read is telling me that I am doing the right thing getting rid of this car as fast as humanely possible. I have to pay $3500 to get rid of the loan on it and then I have to find something else and for only $5-7,000 as that is all I can afford for a car loan.
    So a few questions: is there any hope for fixing this car or just unload it?
    Also, what is everyone buying after they get rid of their rendezvous. I need a small SUV, something without these kind of problems and will have relatively low problems in the high miles years.
    Third question: what are dealerships paying out on trade in on these buick P.O.S…..Can I get $2,000 on it? I see some dealerships are still selling these lemons for $5, $6,000 when I search for another car!!!! Are you kidding me!!!!
  • hosflyhosfly Member Posts: 1
    I had an overheating issue a couple months ago with my 02 rendezvous and was informed to change out the Dexcool with regular antifreeze after a flush. I had that done and it hasn't over heated in a while. I noticed that you said your rendezvous temp indicator stays at the half way point and doesn't move. Mine will stay at the 10 o'clock position while heading down the road. When I stop it will go up to about the two o'clock position until the fans kick on the take it back to the 12o'clock position. If not moving it will float between 12 and 2, do you know how to stop that?

Also and much more importantly, the other day my fiance' was driving home and the temp climbed high enough to set off the alarms, so she let it cool on the side of the road and drove the rest of the way, twice as far as she made it before, with no problem at all. Now I'm noticing that the coolant is draining somewhere and I think that it's going into the oil. Do you have any input as to what I can do to make it stop draining the coolant into the oil? Or possibly how to test to see what is going on. I hear that it can either be the intake or the head gaskets. The dealership wants $80 to test it and the gasket kit is around $75. I'm thinking about just putting in new gaskets and seeing what happens but that will probably take me all day to accomplish.
    thanks in advance
  • torr2334torr2334 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue please send me the pics torr2334@gmail.com thanks
  • silverfishsilverfish Member Posts: 2
    Problem with water temp gauge reading half way on 2002 rendezvous: 1. Dealer in L.V. changed radiator about a year ago claiming the radiator was not cooling the fluid. Drove off the lot and problem was still there and called dealer on the way back home to L.A.. Dealer said it must be air in the system and everything checked normal at the dealership. 2. Next day went to local dealer and was informed the problem is intake gaskets and had this replaced. Temp still read half and now will go past half to 3/4 before cooling back down to half or little below half. Now the A/C does not blow cold air. Seems like this is a common problem with rendezvous and no clean cut repair procedure. This is us spending money for dealers to learn how to fix common problems with no clear final satisfatory outcome. Anyone have a solution to water temp running higher than normal and A/C all of sudden not blowing cold air?
  • juliaomjuliaom Member Posts: 29
    Drive it into the closest RIVER and save your self four years of heartache, panic, frustration, and an empty bank account.
    I love my new Murano!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
  • juliaomjuliaom Member Posts: 29
    Dump it, you will be money ahead. Four years and $11,000 later I am still paying my credit card bill of $3100 for the blown head gaskets from the dealer. Not to mention all the other repairs.
    I to thought Buick, being an AMERICAN car was Patriotic to buy, however, after purchase the RDV paperwork stated this car was made in MEXICO.
    I sure could have used some of thier Marguarita's but this time.
    I LOVE MY 2007 MURANO, white, four door, beige leather seats, new 18 inch tires, drives like a dream, 58,734 miles now.
    Never again will I buy and American car, even as a Patriot.
  • jvondrak76jvondrak76 Member Posts: 1
    My grandmother bought her 2002 Buick Rendezvous CXL brand new in 2002. Almost immediately, she experienced problems with this vehicle. The electrical system went out completely. She was actually locked in the vehicle. Computer was replaced. Next was the air conditioning compressor. Replaced. Then, overheating. Head gaskets replaced. Heater won't blow out hot air. Fixed. More electrical problems, to the tune of $3000.00. My grandmother passed away in 2010. She very lovingly willed this car to me. Immediate problems. Overheating, again. Leaking water, antifreeze AND oil. And the air conditioning compressor went out, again. The fans stopped working. The car overheated yesterday, took it back to yet another shop. Cracked head gaskets. $3300.00 to fix. OR $4100.00 for a new engine. Did I mention this car has 71,000 miles on it? What a NIGHTMARE. Why hasn't there been more recalls on this vehicle!!!!! The mechanic told me today this vehicle is known for the head gasket issues. Not happy AT ALL. GM needs to stand behind these cars.
  • billohbilloh Member Posts: 5
    I'm also a rendezvous owner. Also same problems and repairs. Also was a ford minivan owner with similar problems. Never again American cars. Very sad.
  • staciecaskeystaciecaskey Member Posts: 2
    I've had the same problem, been left stranded 7 times. also have a problem with the dash lights flashing on & off when I cut the car off. Gotten a new key, had the electrical to the ignition replaced, & the body control module replaced. Still not fixed. If you find a solution please let me know.
  • jennhardatworkjennhardatwork Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I can't help you only to say that I went ahead and dumped mine shortly after that post. I really lucked out and got like $3k trade in on it at a B lot, this guy sells rendezvous for a buttload of money in Mexico I guess and had a Texas connection to get them across. I ended up with a Ford Escape a couple years newer than the buick. It was a good choice. Love the escape, minus the fact that this one has a bit of rust as it is a Canadian car... The only thing I miss on the Buick was the stadium seating in the back seat and it was slightly roomier, but otherwise, the transition to the Escapae was great. I paid off the lien, got the $3k trade in and financed a few k from the bank and it was still probably worth it to not have to dump major money into the buick.... good luck.
  • wjeterwjeter Member Posts: 1
    Jenny,
    I am having major issues as well. I bought my Buick 2011 and every since I had this car there has been issues. I have replace the drums, the radiator sensor, my electrical wiring is acting up. The windows get stuck and sometimes do not want to come back up. Now I am having issues with my differential and transmission. I am still stuck in this loan and owe more than 3,600 dollars. I am so angry and frustrated with this. This needs to be looked into for a class action lawsuit or something. I should of read the complaints before I found myself purchasing one. This is crazy!!!!!!!
  • nmatamorosnmatamoros Member Posts: 2
    I am going through the same thing. I have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous CX, purchased in 2006. I have had one problem after another since I purchased it. For the last three years I have had to go without any air conditioning. We have replaced the condenser twice since it purchase. Most recently, I called the BUICK dealership to report my latest nightmare with the car. I was traveling on the freeway at 65 miles per hour when the lights in the instrument panel went off. Every light imaginable started going off. The needles on the odometer, gas gauge, and temperature malfunctioned. The horn then went off and the radio displayed the word LOCK on the front. My windows would not roll down, the radio shut off. My hazard lights would not work as they were already flashing from what I think was the alarm system going off. I had many people honking at me. I did not know what to do. I started losing power as if the system was shutting off on me. Mind you, everyone is traveling 65 mph or higher. If it were not for some of my window already being down due to no air conditioning. I would have been killed. I placed my arm and hand out the window motioning for people to let me get into their lanes so I could pull over. This took almost four minutes. The worst four minutes of my life. I thought it was all over for me. BUICK said they have no RECALLS out and that my Warranty is expired. This does not seem right. It is a SAFETY issue as far as I am concerned. Any help please. I have been told it is a Body Control Module. Please advise. Do I call BBB?
  • tmontefortetmonteforte Member Posts: 2
    Thank goodness you weren't in an accident! I just went on a 700+Mile RT and about 100 miles into it all of my gauges and needles were going haywire just as you have described. All the dash lights blinking on and off, needles moving right to left. I drove a couple of times briefly at night and when this happened the headlights would also blink on and off. When I parked and locked the car a few minutes after the alarm system would go off. I have it in at the shop right now and they suspect a loose ignition switch and are replacing it for $275. After reading these posts I am afraid that is not the problem and I will have to pay that regardless. Last year I had the over heating problem. Cost over $3000 to repair. It was a cracked head. I bought my rendezvous brand new in 2002 and have been very happy with it otherwise.
  • tmontefortetmonteforte Member Posts: 2
    Update on my 2002 Rendezvous electrical problem...after reading the post #284 by nmatamoros I called the service department and told them to check the Body Control Module and not to replace the Ignition Switch. Turns out it WAS the Body Control Module! It will cost nearly $600 to replace but thank goodness I read this post or I would have had to also pay $275 for the ignition switch which I did not need. Why don't the mechanics read this forum? All I did was google my issue and landed here. I really know nothing about cars!
  • staciecaskeystaciecaskey Member Posts: 2
    I had my body control module fixed and I am still having the same problems. If you read posts here you will see lots of people have replaced the body control module and it doesn't fix the problem.
  • nmatamorosnmatamoros Member Posts: 2
    I am so sorry to hear about your issues. After speaking with General Motors and notifying the National Safety Highway Administration I got no where. Approximately one week later while my Buick sat in the drive way, I allowed my daughter to go to the store. Within one mile from the house the head gasket blew. That was the end for me. I had not choice but to sell it on Craigslist as a Mechanic Special. About 3 weeks ago I finally bought a new for me, but used Isuzu Trooper. I should have done that along time ago. So far so good. I wish the best for you. Be safe.
  • mr2joepmr2joep Member Posts: 1
    Well after Oh month of fighting with this 2002 Bucik rendezvous it was a crank position sensor that went out because of 2 wires touching. Now I don't believe that it needed to be replace because it ran but sometime it would shake turn off while driving and hesitate n miss . It was the wires that touched and screwed it up. But the Buick dealership has to get paid n either they put it in the part or not they did figure it out after putting in the wrong part the first time so I'll pay 482.34 n run. Been a week n it drives great still. Amazing how it works with this suv . Still I'll be praying it stays running good.