Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Bluetooth Questions

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
edited October 2017 in Toyota
One feature of the 2007 Camry is Bluetooth capability - let's talk about that here.

Comments

• fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    Post up your phone make and model....I will do my best to provide some insight into compatibility and which functions will work (just voice, address book, etc...)

To kick this off, here is a basic breakdown of the technology:

Bluetooth

Bluetooth is a short-range wireless technology used to create PANs (Personal Area Networks) among your devices, and with other nearby devices.

Bluetooth allows you to leave your phone in your pocket, while talking on your phone with a Bluetooth headset - with no wires. You can also exchange contact or scheduling information with other Bluetooth-enabled phones nearby, or send such information to a nearby Bluetooth-enabled printer.

Another common use is to give your laptop computer or PDA wireless high-speed Internet access via Bluetooth and your phone.

Many newer automobiles also have Bluetooth, which can interface with a phone in a pocket, to allow automatic hands-free phone capability.

More innovative uses include playing a game against someone with a similar phone nearby, or using a special Bluetooth pen to send SMS messages by simply writing them on paper.

Bluetooth functionality is divided into separate types of connections known as "profiles". Each of the various scenarios outlined above involve a different profile. Not all Bluetooth devices support all profiles.

For example, most phones support the Headset and Handsfree profiles, for connecting the phones to headsets and car kits, respectively. But not all phones support the Object Exchange (OBEX) profile, which lets you transfer files (like photos and video clips) to and from other devices. OBEX is also needed for using address with your car. Another profile supported by only some phones is Dial-Up Networking (DUN), which lets you connect a laptop or PDA to the Internet via the phone. Other optional profiles support connecting to printers and keyboards, for example.

Bluetooth is named for the 10th century Viking King Harald Bluetooth, a Danish king who conquered Norway.
  • babyrocketbabyrocket Member Posts: 54
    I have a Treo 650 from Verizon. Can someone tell me what features will work with the 2007 Camry's Bluetooth? Thanks -
    According to Verizon, it will work for sending and recieving calls, stereo mute, and signal level display. It will not support the OEM car bluetooth (made by Denso) object exchange and will not transfer your phone book.
  • rscotts54rscotts54 Member Posts: 47
    What can you tell me about the Blackberry 8700c on Cingular. I believe that it should work better than the 7290 model. Thanks!
    Unfortunately, your 8700c, just like my 8100g does not support anyything other than headset/handsfree profile. You will be able to pair it with the car and send/recieve call, but that is about it. :cry: I may be getting a Nokia 9300 which supports address book transfer.
  • mitchjavmitchjav Member Posts: 15
    I tried to pair my Verizon Treo 650 w/ my 2007 Camry and was not successful. What happens is that I punch to code into the Treo and the screen on the Camry nav system doesn't acknowledge that it's paired. I can make a call and the bluetooth works, but once I hang up the call - the connection is gone. I was assuming that Verizon had some how "crippled" the 650's bluetooth, but according to this it seems it should work. Any ideas?
    Is your phone set to be 'discoverable'? Have you enabled the car as a 'friendly' connection? Your Treo may you different terms, but they should be similar. Essentially you are configuring the phone to recognize the car as an allowed connection and should maintain the bluetooth link. Verizon has 'crippled' the Object Push meaning you can not use your phone book with the car's voice dialing. Rumor is that they are in FOA (first office application) testing to release new software allowing you to take full advantage of the bluetooth functionality. The problem is that Verizon has the longest testing baselines of any carrier, so don't hold your breath.
    fsowireless: Just to double-check... I successfully transfer my address book from my Blackberry 8700c using a Parrot Kit. Shouldn't it work with the Camry?
    Hmm, I thought the 8700 did not have OPP. That is good to know. According to Blackberry.com and Cingular.com the 8700 will only support headset profile, not object push or data transfer/sync.
    When I look at the settings for the Parrot on my Blackberry 8700c, I see "Hands Free Unit" and "Headset". I do not see anything about OPP.

However, address book transfer is clearly part of the Blackberry's OS now (Ver 4.1). It gives you the option to transfer a hotlist or all contacts. I don't want to tie up the board with details on one unit, but would appreciate replies on real-world experience on this transfer with the Camry. Thanks!
    You learn something every day!!!

I just checked with another forum (blackberry related) and the os 4.1 (I was running 4.0) enables the other bluetooth functions. Now my 7100 will work without buying a new phone.

Thanks! :D
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I own a Motorolla V551 flip phone which has bluetooth on it. Currently, I am using the Motorolla Bluetooth wireless headset with it. How does my V551 work in the Camry when I already have my blutooth wireless headset that works with my V551 phone? Do I have to turn off the Bluetooth headset in order to make my V551 phone work with Camry's bluetooth system? Or is my V551 phone not compatible with the Camry's bluetooth system?
    Please tell me.
    fsowirles:
    Always glad to help the Mods! :shades:

Please report back after you give the actual device a try in an '07 Camry.

The Blackberry Bluetooth stuff has still had some issues with specific car-kits, headsets, etc. Thus, my original post.

www.blackberryforums.com is a good source for overall info.

Enjoy!
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    My V551 works fine in my Camry although I could not tranfer the phone book.

You don't need the headset.
    That is where I found the OS info for my 7100. I hadn't been on that board in many months, so I was out of the loop. ;)
    I played with this a little more - still, limited success. I have the car as a "trusted" connection. The phone is set ot "discoverable". I have the car set to "Auto Connect". I can Connect and make a call - but as soon as I hang up, the connection is gone. If I try to make another call, I have to manually re-connect. Am I missing something?

Mitch
    I'm not a Treo 'guy' but after some reading, it looks like the Treo 650 is known for a delicate bluetooth characterstic.

Read here:
    MyTreo.net
  • ix1is1ix1is1 Member Posts: 55
    Anyone know if the Motorola A630 is fully compatable with the '07 camry?
  • virtkingvirtking Member Posts: 25
    If you get an ebrochure from Toyota's web site for Camry (at least) it will also contain an embedded link to this site. There are downloadable Bluetooth User Guides available there for a number of phones. Toyota claims that it lists all tested phones (with the list growing in the future, I hope).
    The problem is that they have not tested (read as: been given a free phone) all models. Also note that the site is part of Let's Talk which is a national chain of Cellular Retailers/Resellers for many Carriers (both national and regional/local).
    The A630 is known for it's robust Bluetooth capabilties and should work for calls and address book transfer.
  • bigd58bigd58 Member Posts: 39
    Checked out that site but didn't see a Motorola E815 listed (Verizon). Is the 815 compatible?
    The hands free calling operation should work fine, but as far as OBEX bluetooth file transfers (address book), Verizon has graciously disabled this feature. If you desire, there are hacks to change that. Just Google for them, references are abundant.
  • bigd58bigd58 Member Posts: 39
    I'm really out of the loop when it comes to tech stuff, even simple stuff; but if I just have the JBL w/o the NAV, it really doesn't matter anyway, correct?
    OK. I figured out what's going on. The Camry will discover the Verizon Treo 650 and connect, but only maintain that connection if a call is active. The discovery takes place both when the engine starts and when you hit "Connect" (even with "Auto Connect" on).

So,

- Start the engine while you're on a call = automatically switches to Camry

- Start the engine while you're not on a call = Bluetooth connects, then disconnects. Once you place a call (via phone), you then hit "Connect" and are transferred to the car.

In both cases, Bluetooth disconnects after the call.

- Press "Connect" w/o being on a call = Bluetooth either does not connect or connects and then immediately disconnects.

- Press "Connect" while on a call - works; then after the call, Bluetooth disconnects.

That's the way its' working. Thanks to the poster who directed me to the less then robust Bluetooth functionality write-up for the Treo. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear 'em.

Thanks,
    Mitch
  • babyrocketbabyrocket Member Posts: 54
    Mitch,

Can you point me to the same writeup on using the Verizon Treo 650 w/the Camry's bluetooth? Thanks -
  • bluetoothguybluetoothguy Member Posts: 89
    Blackberry OS 4.1 only supports AT Command Phonebook Sync. The Camry system uses OPP (which is not currently supported by Blackberry OS).
    The V551 should work fine with the Camry Bluetooth Handsfree system. This should also include phonebook transfer.

As for the headset, if you are connected to your Bluetooth headset when you turn the car on, the phone will not connect to the vehicle system. The thought is that you will use one or the other, based on your preference.

My suggestion for handling an active call for transitioning to your vehicle handsfree system:
    1) ongoing call in your bluetooth headset
    2) transfer the call to the handset by either turning off the headset or using the phone's menu system to transfer the audio (this will also disconnect the bluetooth headset)
    3) enter the vehicle and turn the ignition on (if the phone is already paired and currently selected by the handsfree system, the call should automatically transition to handsfree mode using the vehicle's audio system).
    Blackberry OS 4.1 only supports AT Command Phonebook Sync (which Parrot uses). The Camry system uses OPP (which is not currently supported by Blackberry OS).
    Handsfree functionality between the 8700c and the 2007 Camry Handsfree System should be comparable to the 7290. This functionality is Blackberry OS specific and any changes from OS 4.0 to 4.1 do not add any substantial functionality for the Camry handsfree system.
    The JBL system on the 2007 Camry supports Bluetooth Handsfree. This can be confirmed by the presence of the phone switches on the steering wheel. Pushing the off-hook switch or PTT switch should activate the system. At this point, you should hear an introduction and get guided through the initial setup process.

As for the OBEX support (OPP), since the Verizon Motorola E815 does not support this feature, you will not be able to transfer phonebook entries to the handsfree system. However, the system will allow you to manually or by voice enter phonebook data into the handsfree system.
    babyrocket,

My first suggestion is that you make sure you have Palm OS 1.04 installed on your device. This can be found at: Verizon Treo Updater.

Once you do this update, delete whatever current pairings you may have stored in the phone and handsfree system.

1) initiate the pairing process on the handsfree system (setup, phone setup, pair phone, , confirm)
    - The handsfree system should now say 'searching'
    2) On the Treo, go into the bluetooth settings and add a new handsfree device.
    3) After the passkey is entered and accepted, the handsfree will still say 'searching' and the phone will appear to be done with the pairing process.
    4) Place a call using the Treo. At this point, the phone handsfree system should complete the pairing process.
    5) Terminate the call and turn the car off.
    6) When the car is turned back on, the Bluetooth Handsfree connection should be automatically established (and each time going forward).

Note: I think this phone with 1.04 should support phonebook transfer to the Camry handsfree system (OPP). Let me know if you need some assistance with this.

Hopefully we will see a software update that will fix this process and also make the connection more consistent.
    BT Guy: I thought Verizon disabled that feature in their version of the OS release? :confuse:
    Babyrocket - the write-up is a link off of post #18 in this forum (at mytreo.net). It's not specific to the Camry, but just a general review of the Treo 650 Bluetooth "weaknesses".

Mitch
    Bluetooth guy - as I posted on earlier posts on this thread, this hasn't worked for me. Essentially, the auto-connect feature doesn't seem to work and it takes being in a call when the car starts or when you hit "connect" to be able to use the Camry speaker. After the call, the connection dies and you have to do the same (restart the car or hit "connect" while in a call) to get the connection to work again. I do have version 1.04 - doesn't seem to have phonebook transfer support.

Mitch
    That's what I've heard as well. Can't test it though, because I can't maintain a Bluetooth connection when I'm not in a call.

Mitch
    Thanks for the update on the 8700c bluetoothguy!
    Hmmmm... It seems that my version is 'special'. My only other suggestion would be to try to delete the pairing from the vehicle and the phone. Start over and try pairing the Treo as a 'headset' or as a 'carkit' when prompted to select one (I don't remember which one I chose when I set it up).

When pairing, follow the normal process on the navigation screen, have the Treo search for the handsfree kit, after entering the passkey and selecting 'carkit' or 'headset', place a call from the phone's keypad. When the call is connected, the navigation display should show that the pairing is complete and switch to the in-call screen. At this point, end the call and turn the car off then back on. From this point on, the phone should automatically connect to the car.

If you are still having issues, I suggest maybe returning the Treo for a new one (if it is under warranty) or wait for a software update from PalmOne.
    I just tried it again. I deleted everything and started over. Pairing was fine. Reconnection is fine. Phonebook contact transfer is fine.

Under phone info:
    Software: Treo650-1.04-VZW
    Hardware: B

If you are still having problems, let me know.
    Yes. I also deleted everything and started over. Same Software & Hardware - no luck - same symptoms - if you have any other ideas .... right now, I have to make a call from the handset, make sure the car isn't moving and manually hit "connect" on the navigation screen.
  • camry07fancamry07fan Member Posts: 7
    Hey, Anyone know how good the bluetooth functionality is on the Razr V3 ? I plan to buy the XLE V6 with Nav soon, any news on Razr compatibility with the Camry bluetooth.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Should be fine. If your Razr drops the call when an incoming call comes in while you are talking (ie call waiting), it's a known problem in some versions of the phone software.
  • ptchowptchow Member Posts: 14
    Anyone has pictures of the Camry interior as it relates to bluetooth?
    The only thing you will notice specific to Bluetooth is the phone switches on the steering wheel.
    It depends on which carrier you have (T-Mobile, Cingular, Verizon, Alltel, etc). The Verizon version currently does not support phonebook transfer. The Cingular version may have a problem with incoming call waiting calls (software version dependent).
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Besides the display on the radio screen that shows you are connected, the signal strength and the visual prompts and number dialed/received?
  • camry07fancamry07fan Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Bluetoothguy and mdchachi for your input. Can you recommend a phone with the maximum functionality / compatability with the 07Camry. (My current service is from TMobile.) Thanks.
  • anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    Any Verizon phones that support phone book transfer on 2007 Camry? I have non-BT phone now (LG VX6100) and want to get a new Verizon phone for use with Camry. TIA.
  • jack210jack210 Member Posts: 4
    will motorola V360 work on camry 07 bluetooth, don't want to buy wrong phone. thanks
  • hybridcamryhybridcamry Member Posts: 1
    I got the phone to connect to the bluetooth ok. How do you go about transferring the phone book from the Treo 650 to the Camry's internal phone book.