Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Suzuki SX4

Comments

• erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    I have a question for new SX4 owners out there. What tire brand did your SX4 come with? And, does it say M&S on the sidewall? Thanks.
  • dudeboydudeboy Member Posts: 55
    Bridgestone Turanza. They say M&S on the sidewall. Regarding the standard stereo: It has automatic volume control, which I didn't expect. The volume actually adjusts according to the noise level of the car as you speed up and slow down.
  • leyrerleyrer Member Posts: 8
    Let me clarify...I didn't perform any aggressive maneuvers to test the handling, but the car felt solid on the freeway--like a heavier car--and didn't wander. The car was also pretty quiet despite the high engine revs; however, it was noticeable and I felt like I was driving in 4th gear and not 5th. Regarding shifting--one annoying thing about was that the engine speed didn't drop between shifts. Seemed to lag somewhat, perhaps for emissions reasons.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    when i test drove a sx4 auto, i was coming up a slight hill and as i came up this hill it turned to the right. Well as i drove up the hill doing about 35-40mph there was a car about 1/3 the way down the other side of this hill in my lane. When i hit the brakes i had a scary feeling of the rearend of the car (lifting and going to the left) it felt as if the rearend of the car wasnt following the front end. The front end when i hit the brakes felt very solid, but the rear wondered BAD.. Its hard to explain. it reminded me of when you apply the breaks to a car with bad rear suspension OR when your rear brakes need replaced. BUT if a straight line they were great. I dont think it was a matter of the brakes as much as it is maybe weight or suspension.? as i said going up and then turning and applying the brakes while doing this caused the serious wondering.. It was serious too. has anyone else felt this? I was thinking what if i was going 55-65mph?
  • leseuldanielleseuldaniel Member Posts: 45
    Hi,
    what you've experienced is not unexpected. I just finished watching a tv 1 hour review for the SX4 and I am reconsidering this purchase. The review was quite exhaustive and invoved mechanical inspection and closed circuit tests.
    Conclusion:
    weak points: engine feels very sluggish under 30mph, breaking distance is way too long, it has the smallest rear break pad and master cylinder they had seen in years, rear suspension is absorbing in one direction only, not bidirectional, front direction stabilizing bar is way too long and causes 'jumping' of the front wheels in sharp turns, exhaust system in one single piece, lots of heat generated so they had to remove some protection pannels to allow cooling.

good points: AWD, great body design, great engine supports (ie no vibration at all), quiet, lots of room inside.

So, apparently still worth it because of AWD and price if that is what you are looking for, but if you don't need AWD you should look elsewhere.
  • rjared1rjared1 Member Posts: 14
    Having driven the SX4 a few days I did notice something strange today. Now that the gas tank is about 3/4 full I hear a loud thumping in the back for about ten seconds whenever I stop. Sounds like the gas sloshing about in the tank. Alittle disconcerting as it makes me think theres not much insulation between the tank and the passenger compartment. Anyone else notice this?
    I really don't notice the sluggishness mentioned in the review but the revving between shifts seems a little inconsistent. It happens sometime;other times not.
    I have to agree with the person who said that on the highway fifth gear felt like fourth gear. I kept thinking I needed to shift to a higher gear.
    This problem with the exhaust system heat does worry me alittle. Wouldnt it create problems over the long term?
    I would think that Suzuki will have to address certain issues if they want to avoid any problems.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    that one piece exhaust you talked about would worry me if ever in need of replacement due to a NON-warranty issue. Speaking perosnally from owning a suzuki in the past i had 3 mufflers go bad in 4 years. $$$ but they werent one peice systems... also i was shocked to read that there is a issue with the rear suspension! i knew there was something wrong with it when i test drove it and hit the brakes while turning, its just i couldnt put my finger on what it was. What you mentioned in the review makes since on WHY it did what it did. It made me feel UNsafe in while i was braking in a turn.
    Well one thing I wouldn't do is put all my stock on one review when few reviewers have not noted this problem. If there is a problem it will manifest itself quickly. I will be sure to give the car a good work out and post my results. If this really became a safety concern then we might be treading on potential liability issues which would facilitate a response and some quick action from Suzuki. One thing they wouldnt want is a new model embroiled in lawsuits from lemon law attornies.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    yeah, I am highly suspect of this report suddenly "sprung" out like a Dateline show or something about supposed 2007 Suzuki SX4 problems. How come nobody reviewing before this has published anything remotely close to these complaints before?

Owners of the 2007 Suzuki SX4 please do put your SX4's through some "paces" and see if you can duplicate any of these "problems" while you're out driving and report what you find. As rjared1 said it behooves you to find out because as a group you do have a better chance of getting a fix done at no cost to yourselves. I smell rotten Karl Malone socks though on this one. Very suspect report...reads like a mock witchhunt of some sort. You'd think the car in question is a 1999 Kia Sephia or something. :blush:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I would also be interested in knowing the channel or network this program was presented on. I'd make sure I watched. And I'm sure lots would be interested.
    I too would be interested in this 1 hr program.

It would be interesting to get feedback from real owners with real experiences. Brakes, noise, other experiences... positive and negative feedback.
  • 1999johnner1999johnner Member Posts: 27
    I know not many here have an SX4 yet -- but any info on changing the tires with out messing up the air pressure monitor system.

on that note any feed back on the stock Bridgestone tires are in snow (again I know this hasn't been out during winter yet - but any previous cars)

thanks in advance,
    John

2007 Suzuki SX4
    2005 Isuzu Ascender
    Sorry I did not mean to upset anyone with that review. I'm in Canada, and the show is called RPM. Although it's in french (Quebec) this is the auto show with the biggest audience in Canada. The guy is really serious, not affiliated in any way with any auto maker and has been running his show for 8 years. The concept is as follow: every week he takes a car, bring it to a certified Canadian Tire auto center and shows and explains everything about the car, engine, trans, brakes, suspension, etc... He actually removes the tires shows and explains the braking systems, direction, suspension, everything. He notes any new technology and comments. All this is done then he goes on the track to do a 0-100kmph acceleration test, a 100kmph-0 braking test, sloping, doging, whatever.

He is really serious about his thing, and very trusted. He evaluated the yaris sedan, the caliber and the versa the three weeks before. One full hour for every car! You can see the car's behaviour live, so you don't have to trust his word only.

In any way, all I've described earlier has been shown: 0-100kmph acceleration gets decent time, but slow to start. The car's front plunges significantly when braking from 100 kmph and the distance is around 44 meters, when yaris and versa go around 39. Industry stadard is 40 The front wheels were jumping a bit during slalom...

there were other good and bad points about the car, but I can't remember all:
    other good points: Good radio, no engine vibration inside, conmfy seats, security systems, powerful (but noisy) ventilation system, large windows
    other bad points: washer fluid reservoir neck very small, with electric connections right underneath (so don't spill) tiny tiny rear pad (although the disks are nice and big) unidirectional rear suspension (ie absorbs on the way up, but drops strait when going down, plastic inside the rear door poorly assembled on his vehicle (JX AWD, auto), only 4-speed auto.

Anyways, the guy does not have anything against suzuki, his last review of the Grand Vitara was great. But here again, unless you need AWD, the yaris, versa and caliber got better reviews from him. It all depends on your need, and he would say.

Anyways, I was not pleased very much since I was considering the car, but I just can't ignore what I saw .If you have any specific question about the car, I can tell you if it's been discussed in the show.
    oh and by the way, the suspension issue is not a 'problem' per se. As he said, it's just that to offer a nice and unexpensive AWD car, suzuki had to cut costs somewhere. Cheaper or as he would say some 'very conventional' suspension, direction and braking components was their way to cut costs. Basically meaning you get what you pay for!
    I'd like to watch this show...

but so far I have to say the SX4 is great for what I needed. Just traded in a 2002 Montero Sport which is (was) much bigger, slightly more power. Also netted about 17 mpg and since I have a 100 mile round trip commute to work each day. And I live in CT where we get a good amount of snow on and off during the winter. Did I compromise - with out a doubt.

Only had the SX4 for a few days thus far - I got to say its quick enough, solid enough, comfy enough and "cheap" enough to buy and enjoy! I knew it wasn't a "fast/quick" road rocket.

as you stated maybe its only a good choice if AWD is the number one "need"... but I'd like to think the SX4 is a good choice either-way.

did he go into any details on the awd system?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It doesn't look like the SX4 show has hit the site news but here are a couple of translated links about it:

TQS (gotta love the translation - "The next emission of RPM") :shades:

pierremichaud.ca
    Good to know about the extensive review. It'll be interesting to see the English translation. Always funny to see the translation programs at work.

I actually agree with the reviewer that if you don't need AWD, there are a ton of good cars that would probably be better choices. I wouldn't even look at the Suzuki if I weren't a believer in the benefits of AWD

I too was disappointed by the live axle rear beam suspension (like the old and new Ford Mustang) and I'm not suprised braking suffers with the extra weight of AWD. Another big factor in braking is tires. Good tires can make all the difference. Subaru's don't do all that well, although their brakes have gotten bigger recently.

It will be interesting to see some performance numbers... hopefully in the near future.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

For over 6 years I've followed the Edmund's site and formums and participated when my particular interests or views were piqued.
    Now with this new format of 1001 topics for every vehicle I believe it is time to say farewell.
    I have no interest whatsover of checking so many sub-topics. Also, the difficult to read colors of text contribute to poor legibility and all of the bugs in the sofware are the last straw.
    Inside Line is very well done, however, the forums and Carspace must be designed to appeal to the ADD generation, which I'm not a part of.
    Farewell.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What, 58 topics (like for the Fit) are too many to keep track of for one car?? :surprise:

I agree with you. I am not ready to give up yet but am getting close. It's OK when someone is interested in 1-2 cars. But for people like me who have broad interests in the car world, it's getting to the point where the effort isn't worth it.

There IS such a thing as a Search function in these discussions, after all.
  • prouloproulo Member Posts: 26
    I agree. Keep it the way it is. I don't want to go chasing 35 or so threads to keep track of 4 or 5 cars.
  • carritocarrito Member Posts: 38
    I agree too, we don't want to jump around different forums for the same car. :sick:
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics.

I'm with the others on this -- WAY too many sub-topics! If someone like myself wanted to keep tabs on what owners think of 3 or 4 newly-introduced models, I would have to track 50-100 discussions in order to stay on top of all aspects of the ownership experience.

BAAAAH! We're not all retirees with 18 hours-a-day to spare.

You guys changed the board for my current model last week and the new posts went to ZERO!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just track the make/model groups for the cars or SUVs that interest you and all the new posts will come up as usual as you click on Read New Posts.

They'll just be pre-sorted a bit for you instead of having, say, an iPod question butting up against a squeaking U-joint (even though the answer may be to turn the volume up on the iPod to drown out the squeak :shades: ).
    Does anyone here know if it uses the same system? I know Suzuki calls them different names but is that just marketing (and a manual switch to turn it off and to force a lock-up)

Just curious on its designed and how good it should be in the upcoming weather :-)
  • jerryconjerrycon Member Posts: 15
    How do I turn on the tracking thing? Thanks for the hassle.
  • reeser8reeser8 Member Posts: 33
    There isn't much cargo room with the seats up, but it's bigger than the room available in the xA or the Fit, which I view as comparable cars to the SX4 in body design.

The seats also divide 60/40, so maybe you can consider putting the small panel down, and even double-folded and clipped to the front headrest. That should give you enough room to fit your daughter and her stroller in the back.
    My base package SX4 has power locks on the door. The button is right there, and on the front passenger door, too! Look in your manual if you have trouble working your standard-equipment power locks.

You can also use the remote control on your keys to open the doors.

My front map light (on the roof by the rearview mirror) sufficiently illuminates my glove compartment. Those are bright lights!

The lack of passenger vanity mirror is a bit odd. Of all the things to skimp, that seems to be something rather inexpensive that they could have added.
    Yes! I've actually found some time to read the book. Nodded off a few times but finally got through it. As I drive the SX4 I find more things to enjoy about it. All in all I still think it's a great buy. I find the stick to be really precise and like the click for feedback though that revving between gears can be alittle disconcerting. It seems to be intermittent and happens whether I have my foot on the gas or not. At this price one really cant expect everything. I have a Volvo that costs twice this much and it doesn't even have front fog lights or AWD. For only $1300 in the SX4 you get those fog lights and a heck of lot more in the bargain. Sure, the Volvo is a tank but for the money you can beat the SX4.
    I had the SX4 out in the heavy rain yesterday and drove alittle agressive (in auto mode) to see how it would behave and it was well mannered. Stopped quickly on rain slicked surfaces and maintained secure footing on quick turns. The wipers worked well, quietly and kept the front and back windshield clear. The front and rear defrosters did their job.
    Milage so far in 2WD mode is on par with my previous Elantra. The display is showing about 22 MPG.
    So does yours have the Sport package, or how did you get the fog lights?
  • lelaho23lelaho23 Member Posts: 2
    From what I have heard from the three dealerships in my area. The sports model won't be out until early December. I believe the fog lights can be had as an option on the base model. :mad:
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    On another site I've read there is no problem unless the sensors are damaged or the wheel position isn't maintained - otherwise you have to use a special tool to reset the system. Now, I've got to check to see what the owner's manual has to say about rotating the wheels and tires.
    Sorry but i didnt mean to imply that my SX4 had fog lights. I was just mentioning them because they are part of a $1300 package and for that kind of money you get a great deal. My other car doesn't even have a trip computer while the SX4 does for lots, lots less money.

Also wanted to note that eveb though I have only driven a couple hundred miles the engine seems to be more responsive.
    For most purposes it is a fairly peppy engine.
    i have to agree after a few hundred miles ours seems more "peppy" as well. Do these engines have "fly by wire" electronic throttle - reason I ask is I bet if it does Suzuki uses some sort of torque management software. which can explain why its "week" off the line i think,
  • ryder344ryder344 Member Posts: 1
    I'm patiently waiting for the Sport model to reach local dealers but am dying to know what the owners manual says about towing the SX4. I need a little rig like this to use behind a motor home, drive to work and up into the mtns for hiking and fishing. If I can't tow it, it would be a shame.

TIA

RedRyder344
    The book says that you can only tow the 5-speed manual, in neutral. It says in five different ways (bold print, a picture with an X over it, etc.) that you cannot tow the automatic. It's due to the AWD. You can't tow the automatic even if the switch is on 2WD.

The book must be made for the other versions that are sold overseas. I believe there is a 2WD-only version sold in Europe or Japan, and it says you can tow that no problem.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Owner's manual says the manual trans SX4 can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground, but not the automatic. To answer the other guy's question, mine appears to have a drive-by-wire throttle. I installed side mouldings, mud flaps, SWT exhaust tip, and rear cargo mat today. I've also got a rear bumper protector on order. Some of the instructions with the accessories are multi-language with only descriptive "pictures" for instructions. The front mud flaps are supposed to take .4 hrs. to install - better allow more than that! The rears are easier, but I believe there are some errors in the locations of the holes, etc. Good luck if you try installing the mud flaps - it's tricky!
    Looks like my real-world fuel economy is about 28.2 MPG right now. I reset the calculator and drove it for about 500 miles. The terrain and speed included some stop-n-go rushhour commuting, driving along country roads during a trip to the Napa Valley wine country, plain 65 to 75-mph interstate driving, and city driving with stoplights and stopsigns.
    For all of you looking to buy your own SX4, I found a website that keeps up-to-date on the current Suzuki financing deals on the SX4. Right now, the deal is 4.9% for 60 months, lasting through the end of October. This is offered by American Suzuki Financial Services, not through the website, so if you go to the dealer and grill the financing department, they should be able to give you the same offer. Don't ask the salesmen -- they don't have a clue about anything of that sort.

Go to http://www.newcars.com/, click on "Rebates and Incentives," and find the SX4's.

A new financing deal apparently kicks in during the first week of every month, but not necessarily on the 1st of the month. For example, the October one didn't start until October 5th.

I'm loving my little car. No regrets whatsoever in my purchase decision.
    Car and Driver Magazine tests cars on a "Standing 1/4-mile test." I've tried searching for the answer, but I can't find what that means. Can anyone shed light on this for me? Thanks.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Car and Driver Magazine tests cars on a "Standing 1/4-mile test." I've tried searching for the answer, but I can't find what that means. Can anyone shed light on this for me? Thanks.

Ever been to a dragstrip or seen a drag race on TV?

They take a vehicle from a dead stop and accelerate as quickly as possible over 1/4 mile distance to measure elapsed time and speed at the end.

Probably means something to gearheads, but virtually nothing to the everyday commuter -- especially on vehicles that are not performance-oriented.
    I'm not that impressed with the SX4's stock tires Turanza EL400 - so far over the past 1300 miles in rain and dry; dry seems OK but wet seems touchy. And with winter only a few weeks away (well winter weather here in CT) I'm thinking about swapping out the tires. A local dealer will "give" me about $30 in trade per tire, not much I know but for piece of mind it may be worth it?

On that note what do you folks recommend for:

* wet
    * snow
    * dry

I'd prefer to stick with an all season as I drive about 130 miles a day round trip to work and the roads in CT during the winter seasons are not always snow covered. In fact it snow little but when it does it does!

Thanks in advance,
    John
  • 05s2r05s2r Member Posts: 4
    I've taken the 5 speed SX4 out for a test drive and was pleased with the feel of the transmission, but the tendency of the engine revs to hang while shifting gears was a bit of a concern to me.
    I'd like to know from those of you who own a 5 speed if this has become a real issue, is something that you've adapted to while driving your SX4 or, is something that you don't even notice ? Also, how are the gas mileage figures for a 5 speed ?

Thanks, :)
    Either the car is adapting or I am, I don't notice it as much after 400 miles. I seem to be getting about 26-27 MPG in rural driving (hilly area).
    the tendency of the engine revs to hang while shifting gears was a bit of a concern to me.

You have to be at least in the midst of releasing the accelerator when you stand on the clutch for the sudden revs to not happen. I think this is because the drive-by-wire is set to rev very high very easily when the car is in neutral.

At first I thought you needed to fully release the throttle to eliminate the rev hanging. I have since found out that this is not the case. The notion of fully releasing the throttle clashed with the way I've been taught to drive stick, because I only partially release the accelerator to maintain a certain amount of revs for the next gear to avoid the engine jerking. So, I have "experimented" to see if I can do a shift with a partial throttle release, and sure enough I am able to do it without the revs hanging.

Mind you, I'm also rather a beginner stick driver, so I don't put my pedals through all those racing manoeuvers that the guys speak of.

To answer your question, I have noticed the problem, but I've adapted to it.

My gas mileage has risen since when I reported last week, under the same driving conditions! I'm getting 28.7 avg mpg over the past week, about 500 miles total, a lot of freeway, some stop and go, some street, and some country-highway-with-stoplights.

In keeping with trying to save gas, with the help of the on-board instantaneous mpg meter, I've also stopped my habit of maintaining an average speed of 75 mph. I can now see how driving 75mph versus 65mph really affects your gas mileage. Compared to driving at 75mph, the math tells me that I only lose 6 minutes for every 50 miles I drive at 65 mph.

During my morning commute, I find myself feeling happy when the flow of traffic drops to 55mph, because my mpg shoots way up. So that's why they lowered the national speed limit to 55mph in the 1970s!
    is very acceptable to me as a potential 2007 Suzuki SX4 buyer, 28.7 mpg. I like that Suzuki throws in the automatic mpg counter for us, too. That was one thing the lady with the SX4 filling up at the gas station mentioned, she liked the mpg-ometer.

There is usually a break-in period for engines in relation to miles-per-gallon and I doubt that Suzuki motors are an exception there. So many of your mpg's should improve with time.

This still sounds like it wants to be my next new car!

would have to be the Bright Red.

Next choice would be the Techno Blue Metallic. Has anyone driven their SX4 through snow or ice yet?

yeah I'd like to know if any one has driven their SX in snow/ice yet? how were the stock tires? How quickly and smooth was the AWD kick in?
  • dad84dad84 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I test drove a 5-speed manual SX4. Very nice. Appreciated the engine 10 times more than with the automatic. Acceleration feels very quick when you can run up the revs. Engine is smooth too, in high revs, though not necessesarily quiet. Clutch and shifter worked fine. Car is very stable. At 65 to 70 mph, seemed to be doing just under 3500 RPM (in 2 wheel drive). This car would be very easy to live with.
  • ratbert1ratbert1 Member Posts: 72
    Not snow, but test drove one on very wet leaves. The AWD is like the Subaru AWD system that they mate up with their automatic transmissions (I drive a manual outback). I had the car stopped on the wet leafy hill. Then gunned it. :) First in 2WD mode and I readily spun the front wheels. Then in 4WD auto. It took less than a second for AWD to kick in. Just long enough for me to detect front wheel slippage. It did kick in sharply, but a real snow/ice test would be better. We've had a dusting of snow the past 2 nights.

Still waiting for my Copper Sport to ship!
This discussion has been closed.