Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    It sounds like you need a new regulator for that window. At GM Auto Parts.com it lists for about $230 (2 door car). The motor lists for $140 but that doesn't sound like your problem.
    I'm sure you can find one at a wrecking yard, but my experience has been that it may be no better than what you have now.
    It can be tricky to change a regulator if you don't know what your doing.
    The door locks are a simple electric solenoid system. Most likely either the solenoid in that door has failed, the wiring is loose or bad, or something is dirty or corroded keeping it from operating
  • farfig1farfig1 Member Posts: 2
    alright thanks. My brother has the same car as me, but just a 94, and he's pretty sure he knows how to replace it. Also I'll try cleaning it all and double checking the connections to make sure they are working ok. thanks
  • pylon_no9pylon_no9 Member Posts: 1
    My 96 G. Am died this week. The engine will start but really rough. The code is P335 Crank Shaft Position Sensor a circuit malfunction. How do I fix this, where can I get info?

Thanks. :sick: ">
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    With the code indicating crank shaft position sensor problems you probably have a bad crank shaft position sensor or you could have a small stone or something knock the sensor off of alignment.

You could take your car to a dealer and with that info they would probably replace the sensor first. They will charge you the diagnostic fee too I believe.

In my '01 Grand Am the sensor is located on engine block at the belt pulley in the end of the crank shaft. It is quite tight spot to work at but I believe you could do the job by yourself. I don't know how much this sensor for a Grand Am cost but for my '04 Tahoe it was about $85 + tax.

GM says that new crank shaft sensor in some cases must be re-learned by the car's computer so after you change it you might still need to take your car to the dealer for re-learning if it puts that code on. This time the code would be a false code and your car would drive just fine with it. 'Service Engine Soon'-light staying lit would work on the driver though...

--Arrie--
  • rsatourrsatour Member Posts: 1
    Have you tried replacing the Throttle Position Sensor? It is about $30 at your local discount auto store.
  • jbiemjbiem Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone, I am new to the site. I own a '99 Grand AM SE. I have recently had a few problems and am seeking some help fixing them.

Okay, from the top. About 2-3 weeks ago the indicator for the high beams being on lit up and stayed on, at the same moment my fog lights shut off and will not turn back on. I checked all of the fuses and none are blown. Yesterday I was driving down the road and my 'service vehicle soon' light came on and stayed on for the remainder of the car ride. Today it came on about a block after driving and then shut off and hasnt come back on again. Then tonight I was driving home and my radio shut off all by itself and will not power back on. I was thinking maybe alternator so i disconnected the battery and determined it is not the alternator because the car kept running. I am at a complete loss and any help would be greatly appreciated!

JB
    The fog lights won't work with the high beams on. It's designed that way, too much candlepower with the high beams on. What happens when you work the high/low beam switch? Does it click like normal? Are the high beams really on?
    Check your gas cap and make sure it's on tight and not cross threaded or something. That can cause the service soon light to come on.
    Don't know about the radio, my first point would be to look for a bad fuse.
    The switch for the headlights still works. I can turn the high beams on/off but the indicator light always stays on. And now that you mention the gas cap it was on goofy yesterday when I stopped for gas and the light hasnt come back on since I filled it up. I dont know about the radio either, I checked fuses today and they are all good. I called pontiac this morning before reading this and scheduled to bring it in and hook it up to a scanner. They said it would cost $35, is it worth it? And with the fog lights, even if the high beams are off but the indicator light is saying they are on then that would be why the fog lights wont work?
  • kmajorskmajors Member Posts: 17
    $35 doesn't sound too bad. You can also go to most larger auto parts stores like O'Riley or Auto Zone and use a scanner for free!

I would think if the high beam light stays on even if the lights high beams ar off that is why the fog lamps don't work. Look for a relay that is stuck or bad.

There are three fuse boxes on the Grand AM make sure you check them all. Look in the Owner's Manual for the location of the radio fuse.
    They told me that the only problem with the car is that my headlight bulbs are not GM and they are drawing more power than they should. They wanted to charge me like $150 for new bulbs and retainers. I said no, paid the $40 it cost to have it looked at and proceeded home. I then got pulled over and given a $10 safety belt violation. Thanks for all the help and suggestions though.
  • dp32dp32 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Grand Am
    My security light comes on and my car makes the sound like the car door is open all the time. The car runs fine but I am tired of that sound, HELP PLEASE :cry:
  • vroomgirlvroomgirl Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: My pontiac grand Am quad 4 2.3L engine. It started 5 months ago. It started putting and I replaced the fuel filter, it didn't make it any better. Its has got really bad in the last few months. When I put on the gas it sputters and jerks and is hard to gain speed. Also when its in idle it sporadically putts.
    OK, I've replaced the plugs, boots,which are the wires, checked the ignition modual, tested the oms on the coils, and they read 120 oms each. Checked the wires that goes into the coils. My housing unit looks ok... ALL OK. No codes. I had a diagnostic done no problems. I haven't done an air compression or a fuel diagnostic yet. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH IDEAS??
    Well, I changed that blower motor resistor today. The part cost only $14.95 + tax at AutoZone so the $35 prize must be at a dealer.

And it is quite difficult job to do. At least in mine. The second screw is in a pocket where no ordinary socket or wrench fits. I got it done but this little screw was one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult to reinstall that I have ever done.

--Arrie--
    I know what you mean. The only way I could get to that back screw was to use a small ignition wrench. Nothing else would fit.
    Has the fuel pump been checked?
    Talk about a little job!

I took a piece of steel wire and bent the end of it to a U- shape to fit in the standard socket. Then turning it just the smallest amount at a time I got the screw in deep enough so that the socket with the smallest ratchet fit on the screw to tighten it. I did removal the same way, i.e. first loosened it with ratchet and the rest of it with the steel wire.

GM must have a special tool made for this job.

--Arrie--
  • aardvark02aardvark02 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Grand Am 3.3 engine and it hesitates from start up at red lights or stop signs. I replaced the fuel filter and then the 02 sensor but the problem still exist.Is there anyone out there that can help me resolve this problem?
  • floridaoatsfloridaoats Member Posts: 3
    I had the same symptoms and finally got a diagnostic code for the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. MAP sensor. It was just a cracked and broken vacuum hose leading to it causing it to think it is getting lots of air and trying to keep adding more fuel! Right in front of the engine coming out of the air intake manifold leading to a sensor about 1 inch square and 1/2 wide with a vacuum hose into the bottom.
  • gchecksfieldgchecksfield Member Posts: 36
    On a 2000 Grand Am, 4 cylinder, 75k I have a virtually constant squeaking noise in the front when driving. Using a hose to my ear and lifting the front end up and down when stopped it sounds like it is coming from the top of the strut. Is this likely to be the strut mount? I understand that it has a bushing in it because it pivots and seems a likely source for squeaking. In looking at parts I don't see any gaskets or seals between the strut mount and the body that could wear out and contribute to noise. Also, how much of a job is it to get these out? I have looked at the Haynes book; it looks doable for someone who is more than a novice and less than a master mechanic like me. I am really wondering about spending $75 each for the strut mounts and likely $200 each for strut/springs (on one side the end of the spring is broken off) for a car I am not crazy about. Thanks for your help.
  • dkurrledkurrle Member Posts: 20
    Tonight after work i could not get my key to turn back all the way, and couldnt remove my key. So, i let it sit until needed it for a while, and of course it drained my battery because when the key is forward, it is draining power for various stuff. So anyways, i couldnt get the key out, and also i could not get the gear shifter out of PARK. The only way i found to get it out of park was to remove the cover and slide a piece over with my finger that released the lock. Still when i put the shifter in nuetral, i cannot turn the ignition back and remove the key. went to a repair shop and they said it was the ignition control lock and it would cost $500 to fix. Does this sound right?? DOes it sound like a job that i could do myself, or is it really involved? Is there anything else that could cause this problem? or is there anyway to get my keys out? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • n5445n5445 Member Posts: 28
    Hope you've fixed it by now, but just wondering, did you check the fuel pressure regulator?
    first off, you can never take the key out in neutral.
    You can try to use lubricant and a very small pin or something to get inside the lock while the key is in.

I'm not too familiar with the design of the 97's to say if you could do it or not.

But for 500 I would give it a shot!!!! look on-line for more info.
    did you ever fix this problem??
    What was the reason they gave for replacing the fuel pump??
    You don't change the pump unless you've checked and found a low pressure reading.
    Sounds like your all over the place with this thing.
    Fuel pump and lock cylinder are 2 totally differnt systems.
    Just wondering how you made the jump from one to the other.
  • rosietherivetsrosietherivets Member Posts: 1
    In January 2006 I had a constant buzzing sound coming from the dashboard in my 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT. My vehicle was 3.5 years old and had only 20,144 miles on it.

In April 2006 I received a letter from Pontiac stating that they will reimburse anyone who had the Hazard Switch replaced at their expense. I sent in all the required information in order to get reimbursed. A few weeks later I received a letter from Pontiac saying they will not reimburse me because I had the multifunction switch replaced and not the hazard switch. I thought these two particular parts are related so why would they cover one area of the part and not the other?

A few weeks before I received the letter from Pontiac I traded in my Pontiac for yet another General Motors vehicle. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. The next day I received a phone call from Pontiac. They stated that since I no longer owned the vehicle I could not get reimbursed. They also said that since there wasn't a recall on the multifunction switch I cannot get reimbursed for it. So which excuse is it? Does it matter if I still own the vehicle, I was the owner of the vehicle when I paid to have the $339 part replaced. I tried to get reimbursed right away, AND I bought another General Motors vehicle.

I did some research online and found several websites and dozens and dozens of other Pontiac customers experiencing the same exact problem as I have. So this is NOT a random car part gone bad. There is a defect with this part.

I called General Motors executive offices and spoke to a female there. The female employee at the General Motors executive offices said that she spoke to General Motors CEO Richard Wagoner and he said that he cannot reimburse me because I no longer own the vehicle. I explained to the female executive that there were only 20,144 miles on my vehicle when I had to replace a $339 part. Not to mention I have been a loyal General Motors customer my entire life. The female executive and I kept talking in circles when she hung up on me. A few days later I received a phone call from this female executive demanding that I take her name and "unpublished" telephone number off of another auto blog website. When I went to the website to take her name and telephone number off I found someone who claimed to work with this particular female executive. They left a posting on the auto forum using profane language towards me. It has since been removed from the forum however I have a copy of this posting. I called and spoke with another female executive at General Motors. I asked if I could speak to Mr. Wagoner. Without hesitation she said he was busy. I asked for Mr. Wagoner's voicemail. She proceeded to explain that Mr. Wagoner does not have voicemail, that she manually writes down all his phone messages. To this day I am waiting for my promised phone call from Mr. Richard Wagoner.

I have been a loyal General Motors customer my entire life. I trusted this company. I feel they have left me in the dark and are trying to shoo me away. I have tried to get this problem resolved. I have been hung up on by a General Motors executive, promised phone calls not returned, and a hard time reaching Mr. Wagoner.
  • gizcatgizcat Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know a good site online that has pictures or diagrams on how to replace brake pads and rotors on a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am?
  • traeldortraeldor Member Posts: 2
    Okay I've scrolled thru 142 posts here and I've come to the closest one that indicates a possible cracked vacuum hose coming form the MAPS sensor....

My car with 109,000 miles on her, is sluggish starting out..... rpm's drop when I first step on the gas, when in third gear or overdrive there is a high pitched whistle that vaires in pitch depending on rpm's of engine... No power going up hills...
    I'm going to go to autozone and run free check, but meanwhile, I'm hoping that somebody might know what's up??

thanks
  • traeldortraeldor Member Posts: 2
    oh and the service engine soon light comes on when I try to get up into higher speeds.
  • clarknavyclarknavy Member Posts: 1
    I hope one of you guys out there can help me. My car sputters and some times dies when i come out of park and into either reverse or 1st gear. It will also sometimes die when I come to a stop and try to accelerate. It also dies (very rarely) when I come to a stop, this usally happens when I come to a stop. I am really hoping some one out there can give me some good advice on what to do. I really don't have the money to take it to a mechanic because I am in the Navy and take care of too many people so my money is tight. If there are any suggestion it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and patience.
    Here's the problem you face:
    You have to determine where the problem is coming from first. Is it fuel delivery, egr system, spark, sensor or vacuum problem.
    It could be any of them.
    Make a check list of what has been serviced in the past.
    When was the last time the fuel filter has been changed?
    When have you changed the spark plugs last?
    How does the exhaust smell?

Open the hood and listen for hissing(vac leaks)
    If the car is hard to start, doesn't catch the first time, I would check the Fuel pressure regulator.(sits on fuel rail with vac line running from it to intake area)

Once a car reaches 100k mi, start preparing yourself for maintenance. Get a book(haynes)and keep looking online for other people with the same problems in the past.

Good luck.
    One of the other reasons for this is that the gear shifter is not completely releasing the lock in the key cyclinder. Thus making the ignition key think the car is still in Gear and not in park.
  • pontiacbabe22pontiacbabe22 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I Got a 1997 Pontiac Grand am Se and I was going to put a body kit on it and I was wondering if I just put a new different front bumper on it would it line up right with my side skirts. I dont want to change my side skirts or my back bumper cause I like the way it looks I just want to change the front one so if anyone could help me out id appreciate it a lot thanks kayla :)
  • dawsaprdawsapr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grandam, and the low coolant lite came on. My husband check the over flow and added water but there is either oil or ATF in it. He also checked the oil dipstick and it does not appear to have any water in it. The car does not leak any where that we can see. We are really perplexed by this. Any one with any ideas??
    You should have the cooling system pressure checked to find the leak. The coolant doesn't just disappear, it's going somewhere. Intake manifold leaks are common on the V6, and it can start slow and evaporate off the inner topside of the manifold that you can't see. It could also be leaking into a cylinder and out the exhaust.
  • sparky121785sparky121785 Member Posts: 1
    I see a lot of problems with Pontiac right now. I have had quite a few. The lock on the passengers side fell through into the door panel, the drivers side mirror control fell through, the knob that controls the A/C, heat, and defrost just broke a part, and now the car won't start. Well, I had to have it towed because I found out the fuel pump is broke. It started out as having trouble getting it to start up, then the problem progressively worsened. Then the other night it wouldn't even start up for me to get it to the house atleast. I also found out that the previous owner never had a tune up for it. So, I have to get a Fuel pump, EGR valve, a wire set, and new spark plugs. Hopefully after it's all said and done I won't have too many problems. I did have one question though, when should I have the Time Belt changed? I'm almost at 100,000 miles and I highly doubt the previous owner did that.
  • natalie4natalie4 Member Posts: 2
    i just recently got a 2002 grand am gt, and when i make a left turn i feel and hear something hitting under the drivers side floor. i took it back to the shop and they they replaced the left, front control arm, but it didnt help. i took it back again, and they said they dont know what is wrong with it. it could just be the body of the car shifting. any ideas????
  • needmycarfixedneedmycarfixed Member Posts: 9
    Earlier this year, our car wouldn't start, we tried EVERYTHING... bought a new coil pack/iginition control module and still nothing. Turned out it was the security feature - someone must have tried to start the car with another key while we were in the meeting - it shut the car down, we reset the security and back to running - with the new $300 pack/module.

This November we go out to leave on Sunday and it wouldn't start. We figured it was the same thing, we go through the security reset and nothing...except smoke - the coil pack got so hot that it cracked on the underneath side. Since we had the factory coil in the garage, we replaced it, and it ran good on Monday, Tuesday, we start it up and it's running like an old truck - ses light, trac light both on, no power - running on 2-1/2 to 4 rpms and takes forever to get enough power to hit 40mph. It's shaking and puttering. We took it to AutoZone, they read out 2 missfires - we replace the spark plugs and still no difference. Take it to a local mechanic, he says need to replace the iginition control module, coil pack and plugs - AGAIN! So,

Why would it go through 2 in this short time? The car has less than 40,000 miles. What's the deal? And why can't we find a pack/module for less than $300?? AutoZone said you can't buy one without the other and we bought it, it only had the coil - not the module with it - for $175. A local dealer can get it for $400 and a salvage yard for $100 (???) O'Reilly, who we bought the other one from now says they can't order it - only dealers can. Any ideas what's happening with the car - and these parts?

Appreciate the advise - I'm driving my husband's gas guzzling Dodge Ram!
  • amee74amee74 Member Posts: 3
    my 2003 pontiac grand am will stop running randomly, and will start again after sitting for awhile. any ideas?
    Look for a blockage in the exaust or a fuel pump problem.
    Is the security light coming on?
  • lilly3lilly3 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2002 pontiac grand am she randomly stops running security light flashes waiting 10 min. it will start but what is wrong and is there a sure cure thanks
    we have changed the fuel pump, it only has 48,000 miles. we have also changed the something modulator. no one can figure this out. thanks thow!!
    no security light isnt coming on.????
    I did a little research for you and found this:
    http://www.autosite.com/content/research/forums/index.cfm/action/Posts/fid/325

They suggest replacing the Ignition switch or getting new keys for the current one. They also suggest checking the fuel pump relay.

The pontiac security system prevents starting if the wrong key is used to start the car. You may also try using the second set of keys and see if that works.

Hope that helps.
  • kyleschumpkyleschump Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I'm replacing the ignition in my 1999 Grand Am GT And am having a few troubles. I went in through the radio compartment and got the 2 plugs on the bottom and the 3 wires on the side off, but the plug going into the back (power I think?) won't come off! I pushed the latch down and slid it out but it only comes out halfway. I'm seriously stumped! Putting the new one in will be the easy part but can someone tell me how to get this wire out?
  • vvs_nailsvvs_nails Member Posts: 4
    I start it up 10 mins before i leave, about 1/2 later SOMETIMES IT COMES ON. sometimes not for two days???? why?? fuse is good? seems to me like it is frozen. BET SOMETHING LIKE WHERE THE WATER IS COMING IN??HELP
  • mc812mc812 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I've got a 2002 Grandam 6cyl. automatic trans. 118,000. Started to experience problem with acceleration at certan speeds. Driving in Drive gear, car sputters at slow acceleration, until i give it more gas. Only happens with gradual increase in speed at about 40 or 50 mph.
    I"m hoping only fuel filter and assume transimssion problem would cause engine to race before engaging. Miles per gallon is approx 22 city and highway still.
  • deadeye008deadeye008 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Grand Am, and the rear right window has come off the track. I tried to take the door panel off but couldn't figure out how it comes off. The only 2 screws that i could find on it were the one up by the lever that opens the door and the one just below the big handle on the door. How do I get the panel off? and how do I put the window back on the track? Thanks
  • scs111scs111 Member Posts: 22
    My son has a Grand Am SE1 V6 and just found out he needs to replace the "defective" intake manifold gasket, a $700 repair. The mechanic said this is a very common failure and the defective gasket fails prematurely due to exposure to Dex-Cool coolant. We understand GM has changed the replacement gasket to correct the defect. The TSB for this issue is 030601010B and was issued in October 2003. Does anyone know if GM has a silent recall for this problem or if GM is reimbursing consumers who have had this problem? :mad: :cry:
  • rockyvrockyv Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 Grand Am SE I bought in July 2005 with 25,000 miles on it. Drove for less than one year, did all routine maintainence. Timing blew at about 40,000 miles as I was leaving work. There is a service bulletin on that gasket which I felt the dealer should have installed prior to me purchasing the vehicle, but did not. So my repairs totaled over $2000 as with the timing, they had to retool a cylinder head, replace all the spark plugs, etc, etc. We are currently in communication with customer service at GM headquarters trying to get reimbursement on some of these costs, but of course they are taking their sweet time in making a decision. I have looked into several other websites for info on this same problem--there is no recall of any kind on this. I suggest you contact customer service at GM headquarters as well. It's a long process and they will want your ORIGINAL repair invoices. GOOD LUCK!
  • rockyvrockyv Member Posts: 5
    Congrats on the timing at 100,000. Mine blew one cold rainy night at about 40,000!!!!!!!! There is a service bulletin on that that involves changing out a gasket. Check into that.