Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• lovemygrandamlovemygrandam Member Posts: 330
    Do you have electric door locks and electric windows? If so, it sounds like you will need a new door switch assembly.
    If you have electric door locks, I guess you know that you can push the button before you close the door, and then you have about 15 seconds before the door actually locks.
  • lhelferlhelfer Member Posts: 6
    I appreciate the info. Yes, I have electric locks and windows. The door lock switch has power to it - this is the switch that is loose like something might have broken underneath because it will work sometimes if you hit it just right. The window, which of course has a different switch, doesn't do anything - like there's no power to it at all. This switch is not loose - just suddently quit working but the other windows work fine. So would it be the replacement window regulator that I need? I appreciate the info!
  • markpegmarkpeg Member Posts: 1
    My reset isnt working for the change engine oil light. Now all the lights come on interemittantly. Any suggestions?
  • ramajama83ramajama83 Member Posts: 2
    This car has the 3.1 ltre v-6 and was running very good my wife left it Running and when came back to it it wouldnt start I checked fuel pump its getting fuel also checked for spark all plugs have spark but car wont fire up acts like wants to turn over but wont any ideas for me.?
    Thank You, Ramajama83
  • nateglenn77nateglenn77 Member Posts: 2
    My 1999 grand prix just started to surge at all rpm's i changed the fuel filter any other idea's?
  • nateglenn77nateglenn77 Member Posts: 2
  • bob252bob252 Member Posts: 48
    You didn't say which engine, anyway use carb & fuel injection cleaner on the throttle body, (where the air filter is connected to the engine), also the idle air controller may need cleaning. My wife's car (3.1) occasionaly has this problem and that usualy fixes it. Check all of the vacuum lines as well,especialy where there is rubber to plastic connections. Hope this helps.
  • jae519jae519 Member Posts: 1
    My 02 grand am se 3.4 v6 dualrad fans seem to of stoped working and my car heats up something bad in the summer!! (kicks [non-permissible content removed] in the winter! he he)
    its wares out my battery to fast. any one have this problem and know what could be wrong before i jsut go out and buy new fans
  • ray7536ray7536 Member Posts: 2
  • ray7536ray7536 Member Posts: 2
    have a 2001 grandam it startes and runs but no power stering put in drive do's not move and no thoutle , turn it off and wait than its fine
  • kaderdooskaderdoos Member Posts: 1
    you have to remove the reflector. there is another screw behind it. then remove the handle that rolls your window up and down. u have to do that by removing a clip behind it. there are plenty of youtube step by step videos to show you how. then you have to remove your lock and unlock button and unplug it. there is another screw behind there. its a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. i am doing the same thing right now and trying to fix my window. I can't find out how to fix the window yet. came across your questions. I hope this helps you.
  • crossednailscrossednails Member Posts: 2
    im in need of the passenger side seat handle... the lever on the side of seat that is used to recline front or back.... if anyone has one or knows where i can get one I would appreciate it
  • amkcwamkcw Member Posts: 3
    I was wandering if any body has any ideas. My power door locks will unlock but when I try to lock them all I hear is a click and ding. I thought the switch might be bad but it sounds like it gets the signal just wont lock the doors.This happens with both doors. Any help would be great, Thanks
    If you press the door lock button (on the door) once, you get a ding, and then after a short delay (about 15 seconds) the doors will lock. If you press the button twice, the doors will lock immediately. This feature is explained in your owner's manual.

Richard Berger
    http://www.bergerweb.net
  • amkcwamkcw Member Posts: 3
    Thats the problem the door never locks it will unlock and gets the signal to lock but doesnt. I thought switch but it is working I just dont know if maybe the acuator would work to unlock and not to lock?
  • sac7710sac7710 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Hi, i have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am Gt V6 Ram Air.. I purchased the car 2 weeks ago for college. Today, i started my car up and and everything was fine, washed it, and then drove it over to the work shed to vaccum it out with a wet dry vac... when i was finished, i went to start it up and thought it had started, put it in drive, and then realized it hadnt started, so i tried about 3 more times but it wouldnt strat.. Im baffled by it, i really cant give much info, the car is in great shape, the battery is fairly new, and everything works, i need help. Also,before the problem occurred, the low coolant and service enginge lights were on, now both those lights are on and: batterry light, oil light, and security light flashes.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    edited April 2011
    You need to have a look at the other topic "Pontiac Grand Am Security Passlock Problems". The security light flashing when you try to start is the tipoff. Try leaving the ignition on for 10 minutes when it happens and see if it will clear, then try to start it. You can also Google this same thing. There's all kinds of information out there.
    My advice if it turns out to be the most common problem (the hall effect sensor on the ignition switch) is to bypass it with lovemygrandam's procedure.
    Here's a link to his repair procedure:
    http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm
  • skeet_manskeet_man Member Posts: 3
    I have one also v6 3.4 mine quits while driving only after warming up, I replaced the fuel pump to no avail, I also bypassed the pass-lock II like the internet has advised, and it does the same thing, the security light stay off, like normal, the ten minutes of leaving the key on doesn't work, I had a car scanner hooked up to the car even while it died and it didn't give me any codes not a thing, any ideas????
    Passlock won't shut it down once it's running and with no security light coming on it's 99% surely not the cause. When it "quits" once warmed up what the symptoms? No spark? No fuel? Will it start right back up, but not idle on it's own?
  • 1995pontiac1995pontiac Member Posts: 2
    Yes i have a 1995 pontiac grand am.. needs a frre check 4 water leaks
    on floor..i'm in tacoma,wa..
    send me a name an number who will check find the leaks.give an estimate.
    thanx..
  • 1995pontiac1995pontiac Member Posts: 2
    Yesssssssssss also..have a 1995 pontiac grand am..that needs leaks on floor fixed.
    where do i find if it's plugged. Also i had modulator remove cause it was drainin the battery.
    but not the courtesy light does;nt come on..what needs be done.
    send me a name of someone that will check 4 leaks on floors..an a written estimate..
    i'm in tacoma wa... also the fone number.. thanx...
    also do you have any pontiacs under 500 bucks..that run an drive..
    like too see pix of your trade ins..
    It just shuts off! like they turned off the fuel. when I turn the key back on I hear the fuel pump come on, it turns over just fine, but it doesn't start, the next day after leaving it on the street it started right up like nothing and I drove it home, tonite I was going to start it up, I haven't started it in 3 days and the fuel pump never came on and it wont start at all. what are your thoughts, I was going to replace the crank position sensor, the fuel pump was already replaced last week.
    the answer to all the questions, is yes no spark yes no fuel and it wont start right back up it has to wait then when it does finally start up it runs for 10 sec and quits, can't step on the gas cuz it will quit right away, some times it wont start at all til the next day. any ideas before I push this thing off a bridge.
    Go through the diagnostics in the service manual. It will guide you to the correct solution. Don't have a service manual? Go to AlldataDIY.com. $28.oo. Best money you will ever spend.
    If it runs at all then it's getting spark at least sometimes. Even though it has a new fuel pump I would check the fuel pressure and flow rate. It could be many problems, can't really say without more info.
  • laluzklaluzk Member Posts: 1
    My Man's car is overheating he replaced the water pump, and the thermostat. It still overheats can anybody give us suggestions on what else he can do to fix this problem. :mad:
  • velias2velias2 Member Posts: 5
  • velias2velias2 Member Posts: 5
    I need help in identifying a part to my grand am. I have no idea what it is called, so ill just describe it:

right under the fender near the fog lights theres a thin plastic or rubber part that is very flimsy. it goes in an arch from one side of the fender to another, and sounds like it scrapes when you hit a bump in the road. the other day, i guess i hit a dip in the road and it cracked the part. does anyone know what this part is, and if its possible to replace?? and if so, how much would the part cost?

Thanks everyone, hope you can help!
    I think your talking about the front air dam, which is designed to fold back when you go over something to low and then return to it's position. It can only take so much and will eventually crack and break off. It's not an important part, it directs air flow away from the irregular shaped parts underneath and makes it a bit more aerodynamic. You can replace the part, I believe it's just held on by plastic clips. I would have to crawl under my 04GT to see for sure though, I've never paid that much attention to it.
    The part is called an Air Dam. The service manual describes how to remove and replace the item. NOTE: The air dam is a devise which creates a vacuum underneath the vehicle at high speeds, giving you better control, in case you often drive at very high speed. But it also creates additional drag. If you remove the air dam from your vehicle, you will get noticeably better fuel economy, and unless you are a race car driver, you will not notice any effect on handling.
    Dick Berger
  • gunner16gunner16 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Grand AM and my problem is that I can push my clutch in to start the car but when shifting the clutch pedal would sink to the ground now when you put the car in gear it will not move.
    Sounds like you have a blockage in either your clutch master cylinder, or in the clutch slave cylinder.
    Have a reliable mechanic check to find out which one it is. If it's the slave cylinder, you might as well have them replace the clutch as well, since the slave cylinder replacement involves dropping the transmission to replace.
  • gaowner717gaowner717 Member Posts: 3
    hello. i have a 1995 pontiac grand am. i was driving home from work on saturday and my car started overheating. i pulled over and parked and turned the car off, i started smelling coolant and so i looked under my car and it was pouring out... i got it towed home and then i started looking for the leak, i found it.. its leaking out of an elbow shaped hose. its about 3-4inches long and is on the firewall right underneath 2 a/c lines... i was told its the heater core, so i went and bought a new heater core. i am not convinced though.. i need some advice.. i checked to see if it was a blown head gasket but theres no water in the oil. nor, white steam coming from the exhaust... it did smell of coolant when i ran the heater.. so maybe.. not sure... any advice will be taken in consideration.. thank you..

Valerie
    Sounds like the heater core or one of the hoses running to it. You can bypass the core by installing a hose between the connection points for the core supply hoses.
    Changing that core is no easy task, the dash has to be removed for access. Make sure it's just not a bad hose first.
    I bypassed it lastnight, filled it up with water and turned on the car.. there arent anymore leaks, but it did overheat again... bad... boiling real bad and the fan was working over time... but then I looked this morning, and there was a hose that had been disconnected...
    I did hook it back up and looked in the over flow tank, it was full lastnight but this morning it was low... there arent any wet spots on the ground so i am completely confused about it... i did fill it back up, started my car again, and today it didnt overheat but it was running hot, it usually runs around 220 but it was between the 220 mark and the red... it didnt go further than that. what could this be?
    Was the disconnected hose part of the cooling system, or something else? If it was a cooling system hose it doesn't make sense that nothing would leak out.
    You may just have had to bleed the air out of the cooling system, which could explain the resivoir tank level varying.
    Before this happened did you have to put coolant in often?
    I am not exactly sure what it went to, i am not exactly car smart. i am in the process of replacing more parts today... the thermostat was completely bad, and NOT in the right spot. it was found on the back of the motor.
    i never had to put coolant in before this... and i am hoping this new thermostat helps... water pump is still good... just the heater core and thermostat are bad so far... will keep posting.. thank you
  • trythis2012trythis2012 Member Posts: 2
    try turning the key to the on position for 10 minutes with out starting then turn key back to off position then try starting.these cars have security issues.
  • trythis2012trythis2012 Member Posts: 2
    turn key to on position for 10 min.then try to start it.it has security issues mine did same thing.i hate pontiacs
  • bratt28bratt28 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the thermostat on my car. It is supposed to be on the back side of the motor. If you pull the hose out and read it, it will say that it is supposed to be on the underneath side.
  • msfishnmagicinmsfishnmagicin Member Posts: 2
    i have a 94 pontiac grand am. drove the car 1/2 hr. got back in 8 hrs later started it up and it was bogging & barely getting gas power. then all of the sudden when it does get some gas it does not shift when i stop it bogs real bad & seems it wants to stall. this is a contiuent thing i changed the gas filter. it still does the same then added some foam stuff & its still the same. now my muffler is getting a little louder then useual. if someone was tring to mess my car up and they put something into the muffler would this cause these problems ?
  • cdorman80cdorman80 Member Posts: 3
    hey there i have a 2000 grand am with the 3.4 v6. I was just wondering if you ever figured out what was causing the rpm surge going uphill at low rpms. Any help would be great thanks.
    I wonder if its your catalytic converter.
  • hydrometeorhydrometeor Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 grand am gt and about a week ago when I would get on the highway, I would accelerate and when my RPMs got to 4k, my car would no longer accelerate as if brakes have been applied, but the RPMs would continue to barely increase. Two days ago, I was stopped at a light and when i went to give it gas it barely accelerated. I pushed the pedal in to give it more gas to accelerate at a quicker rate and the RPMs wouldnt even go past 2k. The petal would be in the floor and my engine wouldnt rev, RPMs wouldnt increase and i wouldnt accelerate. When i let off the gas and barely push in, it does fine. When its in park, i can rev the car all the way up to 4k RPM when the governor kicks in with no trouble. when i shift to D, it kicks somewhat. I can drive it around fine, but it is slow to accelerate and i dont give it much gas. Please I am in desperate need of some help as to what my issue may be. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
    Hey Im having problems with my rpms surging uphill. I bounces about 3-500 rpm difference. My check engine light was on but turned off. I did have it checked when it was on. It came up as o2 sensor 1 on bank 1. It don't sound likely. Can anyone please help???? I recently serviced trans and new intake gasket and all fluids.
    Sounds like fuel starvation. It takes a richer mixture to rev to 4000 rpm under load than when there is no load, like in Park. Check fuel filter.
    Another possibility is one of your two ignition coils or ignition modules is bad. Have a mechanic check them if changing the fuel filter doesn't help.
    Dick B
  • sliderinwasliderinwa Member Posts: 6
  • sliderinwasliderinwa Member Posts: 6
    Can you tell me please how to locate the camshaft position sensor on my Pontiac Grand AM with 3.6 v6 engine. I replaced the one on the engine up between the engine and trans. (fire wall side) But i am sure that was the crankshaft position sensor. Please help me locate the sensor. Thank you in advance. Have fun today.
  • stacyblairstacyblair Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 pontiac grand am. Occasionally when I start the car, it takes a minute for the gauges to come on, and also the fan. Sometimes when I am driving the fan will turn off and I have to turn it off and turn it back on. Also, the Cruise light on the dash will come on and off at random times. Any ideas as to what it could be? I would really hate for it to be the computer because I cant afford to fix that. The car runs fine other than that, and is a great car, I just dont want the car to stop working on me while i'm driving with my toddler. Any help would be greatly appreciated!