Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz GL-Class Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited January 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Mercedes Benz GL-Clas. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• haplologyhaplology Member Posts: 28
    Just got an email saying this car is now available. Seems like a pretty good deal from the rough numbers, but I'd like more details. Haven't driven it yet, so I'm not sure I'd like it, but . . .

I'm interested in a three year 10K mile lease. I have no idea on what kind of discounts or specials they're offering on the car. If you could just go off whatever you think is a reasonable price for a base model or whatever. Do you know the MF and residual yet?

Thanks!
  • cglnatcglnat Member Posts: 6
    Car man,

Can we get your help to reverse engineer the GL lease promotion on the official MBZ website, www.mbusa.com. I'd like to understand the MF/Residual and other charges.

nat
  • lopzlopz Member Posts: 22
    Please help here, HOST. What are money factors and residuals for GL, 24 and 36 months, 15k miles. Thanks.
  • chrangelachrangela Member Posts: 20
    Hello,

I am a first time poster here. I am considering leasing the Infinti GX or the Mercedes GL. I would prefer the Mercedes, but the difference in price is hard to justify for me personally. How much of a deal are the Mercedes special lease offers? Do they cut overall costs significantly, or are they just smoke and mirrors?

Thanks!
    Angela
  • popny85popny85 Member Posts: 15
    You're comparing two totally different vehicles. The equivalent of the Infiniti FX for Mercedes would probably be the ML and the equivalent for the GL for Infiniti would probably be the QX. Also consider the fact that the GL does cost around the same as a Toyota Landcruiser. ;)
    Hey,

Thanks for your response. I used the wrong vehicle name in my question. Sorry. I am looking at the QX and the GL. I have five kids, so with my husband and I and all the kiddies, I need a lot of trunk space. I'd like a luxury car, so that leads me to the Mercedes GL or the Infiniti QX. I much prefer the Mercedes, but the cost difference between the GL and the QX is hard to justify to myself... despite tehri obvious differences. The Mercedes similarly equipped seemes to be around $15-$20k more than the Infiniti, and I am wondering whether there are better lease options for the Mercedes that may bring the prices of the two vehicles closer to each other. Can you offer any suggestions?

Also, in the back of my mind I worry abotu the safety of the Infiniti.

Angela
    Hi, yea, don't expect the GL to be reduced anytime soon. It's still kind of new. As for the Infiniti, I really haven't heard good things about it, if it was the FX, I'd say go for it, but the QX is kinda shaky. However, I'm sure if u wait a while, u could get a GREAT deal on the GL, look at the marketing for the R-Class.
    How long is a while? I am afraid I don't know anything about the marketing fo the R class. I do know all local dealers in my area do not even have the GL with the back up camera. They say it will be months before that arrives so I assume pricing won't go down until for much after that. What do you expect the timeline to be like? Months or years?
    Yea, the Rearview Back-Up Camera isn't going to be available until July built vehicles. I would think that the vehicles should DEFINITELY be reduced for Mercedes-Benz' Winter Dream Event, which is sometime in November. Not sure if you want to wait that long.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello lopz. If you were to lease a 2007 Mercedes-Benz GL450 through Mercedes-Benz Credit Corp. right now for 24 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00355 and 70%. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be .00320 and 62%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • lopzlopz Member Posts: 22
    Thanks. I guess I'll wait for a better deal.
  • drleasedrlease Member Posts: 7
    Better deal is here. 2007 GL450
    Buy at Invoice, 36 month MF and resid are .00309 and 54% Also, I saw a question about R Class.... There is a TON of money back from mercedes on those right now. More than $5000 worth of incentives. ;)
  • billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148
    drlease

Do you happen to know how the GL has been selling lately, and if MB might be planning a promo on it in November at their Dream sale? The MF isn't all that great, and the RV seems low for 36 mos. MB doesn't seem to be very aggressive on any of their MFs.
  • marcsuslmarcsusl Member Posts: 4
    upstate leasing is running a special on it now. a gl450 with premium package, sunroof package, and rear seat entertaiment. msrp $65025 lease for only $899 a month with $3000 total due at signing including ny sales tax (8%) and all fees. email me for more info. happy to help out a fellow shopper.
  • jakpennjakpenn Member Posts: 20
    car man
    can you help me with the details on Mercedes new lease deal on GL? residual and money factor as well as cap costs?
    Thanks
  • njmumnjmum Member Posts: 1
    My Volvo XC90 is leased until 5/08 but I need a bigger car and would like the GL. The local MB dealer said they would look into using the Volvo as a trade-in. What does this mean? I can't find any info about this on the leasing sites. The only reason we're leasing now is because we were only expecting to live in the USA for a brief period. Our plans changed so I would consider buying, although I do like driving newer cars. Anyway, am I stuck with the Volvo or is there a way to get another car without the dealer tacking on the lease payments from the Volvo onto the new car? Any info would be great.
  • oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    Wow...pretty slow board out here...

njmum, the Volvo trade in basically means the cap cost would be reduced by the value of your trade in that they give you. Let's say you negotiate the "cost/price" of the GL450 you want to lease is 65K. Let's say the residual after 36 months is 54%, therefore the value at the end of the lease is $35,100 (54% times the 65K). Your monthly payment, if you had no trade in, would be based on your usage of the car (deprecation) of $29,900 plus the money factor (interest rate) charged on the 65K value of the car. If your trade was worth say $10K for the Volvo, the cap cost would be reduced by that amount, so your monthly payment for the depreciation portion would be based on 19,900 plus the money factor portion. Also you would have generally have sales taxes built into your monthly payment as well although I believe some states require sales taxes paid on the whole vehicle up front. I'm no leasing expert but I do know states vary on how that's handled. Hope this helps...
  • suviwaisuviwai Member Posts: 6
    Hey jakpenn,

according to the following website: http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=173261

these are numbers that I found (for Dec. 2006):
    24 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 67% of MSRP – .00245 Base Money Factor Rate
    36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 59% of MSRP – .00245 Base Money Factor Rate
    48 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 53% of MSRP – .00245 Base Money Factor Rate
    60 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 42% of MSRP – .00370 Base Money Factor Rate

MB is running their Winter Event now (thru 1/2) and in the small print of the GL ad it seems to say that the dealer contribution is about $2K.
    Good luck--I am looking into the GL as well, and will post any numbers I get.
  • suviwaisuviwai Member Posts: 6
    Forgot to mention the adjustments for 12K and 10K mi/yr:

Add 2% to Residual Value for 12k mi/yr and 3% for 10k mi/yr on all terms
  • rangerexcrangerexc Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know the money factor and residuals MB is offering in January on the GL450 for a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year?
  • jon_cocktostinjon_cocktostin Member Posts: 4
    I just received the following quote - pls let me know what you think -

2007 GL 450
    MSRP $61,675
    Sale Price $57,790
    39 month lease, 10,000 mi
    residual 60%
    money factor .00235
    $2500 up front (includes $1,095 bank fee?, 1st payment, reg, title, tax)
    $779 per month
  • tombradytombrady Member Posts: 1
    That sounds like a great quote where did you get it? thank a lot!!
  • jon_cocktostinjon_cocktostin Member Posts: 4
    A MB dealership in RI. Good luck, tombrady!
  • ingberingber Member Posts: 2
    Hello there, I currently drive a Lexus GX 470 and it is a little snug in the leg and shoulder width department. So as my lease ends I am seeking to move into another SUV. I have visited Infiti for its Q56, Lincoln for the Navigator, MB for the GL450 and am confused as to which is best for comfort and features. I need a SUV for 15k per year, any suggestions and what the best costs are. Does anyone have the SUV's I mentioned and what are his or her thoughts on the topic.

Your friendly NY attorney.
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    I've leased cars in the past with no problems but have always leased from the dealer.

I'm considering a lease on a new GL450. Has anyone had experience dealing with a third party leasing company as opposed to the dealer? I've heard stories about people getting all kinds of grief from third party leasing companies when they turned their cars in at lease end - excessive charges for excess wear and tear, things along those lines.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts in this area? We always maintain our cars.
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    Anyone hear what these are? They're not on the website yet.
  • ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    i dont know abt costs. the GL 450 is probably the most expensive.but i say its the best large suv around.and if u want to go for a smaller suv go for the cayenne or x5,but if u decide the large1 i suggest gl is the best around,but you might also take a look at the audi Q7.

hope u can decide.
  • jzachjzach Member Posts: 8
    I've got a lot of useful info from these boards. So here is my payback:

Just leased a CB/Macadamia GL 450 w. Premium, Sunroof and Xenons in Chicagoland.
    MSRP 63275
    Negotiated price 58900
    Term 51 mths.
    Residual 50%
    MF .00295 (I know standard is 00245 but I am of the opinion that dealers/salesman have to make a living too. If you cosider the MSRP margins are low.)
    Sales tax 3828 (In IL pay on MSRP)
    2000 Down for acq. Fee (1095) + some Cap Red.
    Ended up at 887/mth.

So far (only 40 miles;-) ) love the car.
  • hvf1hvf1 Member Posts: 2
    hi
    can somebody review this numbers and tell me how good or bad are they. I know I need to get the money factor and residual . I'll post then when I get them.

GL 450 2007
    Alabaster White/ black leather
    premium pack 1
    appearance package
    back up camera
    wood steering wheel
    sunroof
    trailer hitch
    3 z temp
    rear seat entret
    running boards
    keyless go

MSRP 71535
    SELLING PRICE 68835+ TAX, TAGS AND SVCE FEE
    33 Months
    12K MILES

DOWN 5500
    974 PLUS TAX

iS THIS A RIP OFF?

I'll appreciate your comments

HVF
  • hvf1hvf1 Member Posts: 2
    33 mon term is 63% and the money factor is .00272
    this was the info that was pending
    selling price is now 68,335

hvf
  • carhead2carhead2 Member Posts: 3
    Help, please: What's the MF in May for the GL 450 on a 36-month lease, 12K miles per year? And what do they use as the residual value?

I also have a question about the current MB advertised special ($699/month for 33 months, 10K miles per year), because in dissecting it I can't figure out why it's a 'good' deal, though admittedly it seems good. The lease carries an adjusted selling price of $57,586.78, which is $1738.22 below MSRP. But then you have to pay a $3250 cap-cost reduction at signing, which to my mind means you now have an effective selling price of $60,836.78, which is $1511.78 ABOVE MSRP!!! Is it as bad as it seems, or is MB Finance helping out in other ways -- for instance, the advertised special uses a 64% residual value and an effective MF of .0022. If this RV is higher than standard or the MF is lower than standard, I can see why the lease deal is decent. But if these are the standard MB Fiannce RV and MF numbers, then doesn't the advertised special stink?
  • sb07sb07 Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering if its a good deal:
    33 Month lease
    $2750 down
    18,000 Miles per year
    White/Cream
    DVD, NAV, Parktronic, Front/rear sport trim
    19" Wheels
    Sunroof, Phone ready
    $860 Plus Tax/Month
  • skyylarkskyylark Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new to this site and in the crazy process of trying to replace my leased ML 320 ending in November. I was going to look at the ML350 but fell in love with the GL450. MBUSA.com is advertising their SUMMER LOVE EVENT but no pricing. Does anyone have info on new lease rates for the 08 or 07 (money factors, residuals, etc.) My only requirements are the premium package and rear seat entertainment. I'm a stay at home mom with a 3 and 5 year old and I really don't have time to visit dealerships!
  • bmwcrzrbmwcrzr Member Posts: 17
    As of July 15th 2007, Mercedes Benz is submitting new rates, due to the unpopularity of their July rates.

Everyone should wait until the 15th and see the new rates

Good luck
  • dashbbdashbb Member Posts: 119
    Fast forward, July 27...could anyone share the new rates?
  • caligirl5caligirl5 Member Posts: 23
    Can someone post the current October money factor for a GL450 with Premium 1 package and dual screen RES for 3 years/12K miles/yr. and 33 months/12K miles per year.
    Thanks!
  • c21bryan1c21bryan1 Member Posts: 1
    Host, do you know what the current mf & residuals are for the "winter dream event" (33 month lease,looks like 10k miles a year for $699), 24 month & 36 month, 15k miles a year programs. thanks. also any guidence on how close to or below invoice a good deal would be on a moderately equiped gl450 in california (la area)?
  • caligirl5caligirl5 Member Posts: 23
    c21bryan1,

Try contacting the internet department of Downtown LA Motors. I've had quotes from dealers in So. CA and they have provided the lowest quotes and the most complete infomation in a timely manner.
  • aleksisaaleksisa Member Posts: 11
    Greetings all,
    could you provide information on leasing factors for 2007 GL's (residuals, money factors etc etc)?
    Are there any "presidents day" sales going on?
    Thank you in advance,
    Greg
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    2008 Mercedes GL450
    24 Month: Resid 64% of MSRP – .00155
    36 Month: Resid 56% of MSRP – .00175
    48 Month: Resid 45% of MSRP – .00175
    60 Month: Resid 39% of MSRP – .00330
  • heffneilheffneil Member Posts: 16
    My lease proposal is in for the GL450 and there are some fees I hope people can let me know if they are written in stone (are any of them written in stone)

Doc Fee $599

Rental Surcharge $60.00

Tax on Doc $35.94

MBCC Lease Acc Fee $1095

The fees above to me seem bogus. Some of the others are smaller (all under $50 or so) but these are the most substantial and seem super high to me. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Neil
    heffneil,

The lease acquisition fee should be $795 - looks like they marked it up $300- pay no more than the published $795.

A $599 Doc fee is ridiculous!! Here in California, dealers are capped at $55 for the doc fee. I'd advise shopping more dealers so that your dealer has some competition.

What are they capping the cost at on your vehicle? How much over or under invoice? What state or zip code are you in so I can check your lease incentives?
    He quoted me a price that was $400 above his "true invoice" I asked for $400 below that to get the invoice price I saw on edmunds and cars direct. The MF is .00155 and residual he quoted was 63% after 33 months with 10,000 miles. I bumped it up to 15k miles.

Originally I wanted the 550 but the MF was SO bad on it I couldn't see spending almost $500 a month more for practically the same vehicle (comparably equipped) with just a little smaller of an engine and a 0 to 60 time of .2 seconds less.

Thanks for the help and I do believe this guy is trying to pull one over on me now.

He is telling me "The bank fee is added to the cap instead of collecting it up front."

Which is odd since I thought the Cap Cost was what we agreed upon 400 below his "true invoice"

Thanks!

Neil
    The bank fee/acquisition fee can be either paid upfront in your drive offs or capped into the lease. Many dealers WILL structure the lease with the bank fee rolled in, but you can and should pay it upfront.

The invoices from Edmunds, KBB and CD won't match because of a regional advertising fee. It's legit as it's itemized on the invoice from the factory.

The mf and residual you were quoted are both correct.

Basically, pay them only the $795 bank fee, and get them to shave down that horrendous doc fee!! Makes me sick to see dealers charging that kind of money to "process paperwork."
    Sorry I am in Southwest Florida 34109.

Neil
    He said the acquisition fee can't be changed but he would take another $300 off the price of the car. The doc fee was outrageous. I never heard of such a thing.

The deal is:
    $1898.36 up front
    and $1037 a month for 33 months with 15k miles.

I don't know if there is a fee at turn in. What is the practice here?

MSRP of the vehicle is $76,110
    Selling price $70,840

Also the payment above includes the tax 6%.

Any thoughts on this "deal" ?

Thanks,

Neil
    Okay,

I ran the numbers and they are spot on assuming the cap cost @ $70,840 + $1095 bank fee + 6% sales tax = $1037/mo. If they charge you the proper bank fee of $795, payments would be $1026/mo. If you pay the bank fee as part of your drives, your payments would be $1000/mo.

The cap cost looks good as it's right around invoice. Your mf is MBC's current buy rate, and the residual for 15k-mi is 60%.

Dealer is FOS if he's telling you that you can't pay the bank fee upfront. Btw... it's no secret what the bank fee is, it's clearly written on MBUSA.com. Take that to the dealer and show it to him

The turn in fee is $595.

Bottom line: Deal looks pretty good, I would just be aggressive on lowering that doc fee and getting the proper bank fee. There is nothing wrong with the dealer making a small profit, but to "pack" your bank fee and charge you an exorbitant doc fee is ridiculous!

My advice: Have them keep the cap cost the same (after they lowered it), charge you only $795 for the bank fee, and have them cut the doc fee at least in half. That will give them a few hundred dollars profit.

Dealers should not expect to hold gross on models that aren't moving, especially on the GL and thus why they offer lease specials.

Let me know how you make out.
    Is the turn in fee non-negotiable? I emailed the dealer who I drove the car with and said I didn't feel like going through the back and forthness. Honestly I am prepared to walk away. We will see what she comes back with. Supposedly in Naples this car is HOT. Meanwhile they had plenty on the lot so who knows. I would jump on the 550 if they could just do the same lease rate. It would make my year :)

Neil
  • softwaregurusoftwareguru Member Posts: 6
    I was looking at the GL-450 4matic all wheel w/12K yr
    The GL is priced at just about $57,000

I want a 36mth lease or something around that.

Can someone tell me the best lease that I should be looking for?

Thanks
    Martin
  • mssurreymssurrey Member Posts: 59
    ocautoseeker-

I'm looking at leasing a GL (diesel or gas) but I have an advantage of obtaining a MB family discount through my brother which equals 12.25% off the MSRP.

I'm looking for a 'zero down' deal where I only pay the first month and any bank fee ($795? from above post) at signing for a 27 month lease (as this seems to be the sweet spot according to MB or a 33 month lease) with 12 or 15K miles per year.

What are the residuals and MF for these mileages and lease terms?

Also, can I still expect to negotiate any further on the cap cost and whether there are any 'incentives' (eg bonus, cash back etc) available on the GL at this time?

Finally, what 'fees' can I expect (and be able to negotiate on) ?

Thanks for your help ocautoseeker
This discussion has been closed.